[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 39 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 2491421.jpg (10 KB, 300x168)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
Why waste an insane amount of time animating a humanoid model when you can just buy a cheapass kinect and do it instantly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW10XCP-sUI
>>
>>580742
implying anybody animates with hand anymore
>>
>>580742
>i can do backflip and fantasy flying kick
>>
>>580744
>Not thinking before posting
>>
>>580748
what is that mean
>>
>>580747
>you can't edit mocap footage
>>
>>580750
how do you "edit" completely uncaptured multiple bone rotation data for seconds without shitting everything up?
>>
File: 1444930113698.jpg (118 KB, 380x247)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
reminds me of that stupid cunt that MOCAP'd a whole A-list game and thought she'd be the queen of animation while literally using the raw motion capturing data without cleaning it up, making the characters jiggle and move all jagged like retards.
>>
>>580764
Who and what?
>>
>>580764
Sauce pls
>>
>>580742
>and do it instantly
I'd pay to see most /3/tards attempting action moves and falling on their asses
>>
>>580781
>>580836
Mass Effect Andromeda guys.. The animation lead was some diversity hire SJW who had no clue
>>
>>580855
Simply not true.
While that SJW bullshit in that company and game is true its not the reason for the bad animations.
The young female "Lead-animator" was literally an impostor, she did NOT work for Bioware.
The actual reason behind the ME:A disaster is a giant managment fuckup, an inexperienced studio, a kind of war between studios, the insane decision to switch from Max to Maya in the middle of production and the fact that EA lost patience and pushed it out the door half-finished.

There are raw uncleaned motion capture animation as well as unfinished procedural animation in the game because that's all they got finished. It is unfinished.

As much as i hate the SWJ bullshit and Bioware/EA, but blaming it on some individuals working in low positions is not the right way to look at the truth.
Its a corporate fuckup, and the project was doomed by design not by execution. The best animators in the industry couldn't have saved it.
>>
>>580742
by hand is faster.
>>
>>580873
>Want to create a decent walking cycle
>animate for 20-30 minutes
>with mo-cap
>Go walk for 5 seconds and you are done
>>
>>580876
>walking cycle taking longer than 3 minutes to animate by hand
either you or your software is shit.
>>
I need animations for climbing / bouldering. Could I use a kinect to achieve this? Like, can I set it up at the boulder place and just do a few routes with some suit on and get okay animations?
>>
>>580742
Because mocap always looks gross on cartoony characters.
And muh artistic vision will not be hampered by physical restraints.
>>
>>580973
You dont need a suit for kinect
>>
>>580876

If your character is properly rigged with IKs and curves, making a good walking cycle shouldn't take you more than 10 mins.
>>
>>580975
>artistic vision
just because the poop sticks to the paper doesn't mean that it's ink.
>>
>>580742
>buy kinect
>motion capture thing i want in game
>clean it up
>hand animate after for more impact

it's the only way.
>>
>>580742

Slippery slope. Just film normal people if you're going to go there.
>>
>>580858
>the insane decision to switch from Max to Maya
Do you know why they did this? It does seem insane to switch a core part of your pipeline that late in the game.
>>
>>580742
All my humanoid models are digitigrade :3c
>>
>>582862
Management fuckup.
There is no other explanation possible.
Dumb idiots in suits make decisions, and people down the hierarchy have to swallow the shit.
>>
>>583006
For sure. I would wonder what their specific reason is though. Crazy that there's often so much distance between the people making the calls like that and the people actually doing the work.
>>
daily reminder that no single tool or technique is good at doing or appropriate for everything.
>>
>>580749
means hes a salty loser who thinks technolgy is ruining "muh art" and thinks there is nobility in taking the time and effort to do something the harder old fashioned way. It is true but working smart & hard>working hard.
>>
>>580742
Can it be used for facial animation too?
>>
>>583034

except lisp, which has been used for everything from satellite computers to doing the facial rigging for Gollum
>>
>>580742
implying anybody can act.
>>
File: vpykinect.png (33 KB, 640x342)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>580742
Holy Shit

Computer Vision researcher here, accidentally set /3/ as default board on my mobile and saw this thread. How do I into this? Most automated generation I've ever done is vPython like picrelated.
>>
What kind of software do you need for this to work in turning the kinect's mocap into animation?
>>
>>585733
If you are smart you can just stick green stickers on your face track them and connect them to a 3d model of a head
>>
>>586249
https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.09813
>>
File: lol.png (1.01 MB, 1300x1296)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>586348
I actually do a lot of pose estimation so I'm aware of the most recent literature. more interested in automating the 3d generation process beyond dumb stick figures
>>
>>586351
1. take the stick figures
2. connect them to the model boens,
3. ...
4. profit
>>
>>580742
Cuz stylized stuff with mocap movements looks shit
>>
>>586351
At the base of any 3D character model is just a stick figure with bones, it's not that complicated. Ask your Computer Graphics department
>>
>>586351
But anon, how do you think skeletons work?
Your body only has so many joints...
>>
>>580742
>Why waste an insane amount of time animating a humanoid model when you can just buy a cheapass kinect and do it instantly?

Because keyframed animation can have style and artistry that mocap doesn't have
>>
File: 1505694060510.jpg (34 KB, 720x720)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
because i use gmod thats fucking why,i dont even post here,but animatiing with fucking kinect with valve tier .phy files is fucking horryfing,i would have to create my own .phy file,which i dont know how to.
>>
>>580742
Cos i get paid for it. Also good luck doing anything dangerous or outside of the scope of human/particular persons physical ability
>>
>>580747
>implying i cant do a backflip

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.