[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 18 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 14th Birthday, 4chan!

File: a-computer-clipart-33.jpg (22 KB, 600x450)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
What's the best pre built desktop on the market for 3D modeling with a reasonable price tag?
>>
File: Capture.png (555 KB, 1853x1016)
555 KB
555 KB PNG
>>582137
>>
Why don't you fucking google it
>>
Bumping, please guys I'm completely clueless when it comes to this stuff.
>>
ask /g/ for a part list, sift through the piss and shit until you have a usable answer, get the parts, get them slapped together by someone.
>>
What do you consider a "reasonable pricetag?"

And are you afraid to build a PC on your own? Which is fine, but just so that I can better understand your situation.
>>
>>582639
The best pre-built is no pre-built. Ever. Ask /g/ for parts and mount it.
>>
>>582712
This. Even if you think you're getting a decent price on one, perhaps there's a sale, you're never getting the same parts as a custom built. The power supply, RAM, mobo, and storage are often at risk of being some no-name OEM stuff that you'll have trouble even finding a part number on when it breaks.
>>
File: kot_russiancat.jpg (51 KB, 600x600)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
get a second hand hp z800 prolly. may need to upgrade the gpu though
>>
>>582712
there are actually a ton of great workstations/workstation parts being dumped onto the second hand market right now for ridiculously low prices. right now is a fantastic time to pic up a used "was highest end" workstation or two for cheap
>>
>>582762
In theory it's a good idea, but keep in mind that half the components in enterprise hardware is either proprietary or non-standard, so good luck finding a replacement motherboard or PSU unless you buy another system and raid it for parts. In terms of serviceability it's even worse than a prebuilt because most of them use standard parts; at worst you'll get some no-name motherboard or RAM that you can later swap out, but in some workstations you can't even install a fan unless it's the same exact one.

Another consideration is that you might be lulled into thinking you're getting a monster of a system because it might have dual Xeons with a crap ton of cores, but if they're V2 then you're looking at a clock speed of maybe less than 2.5Ghz since Intel hadn't figured out how to turbo boost many cores simultaneously back then. Many modern CPUs are faster than dual-chip systems of years past.
>>
>>582790
fair points, but the fortunate thing about it is that since they're all getting dumped onto the second hand market, it's easy to find cheap replacement parts
>>
>>582796
Exactly.
If you want a Dell-based workstation, just signup over at dellrefurbished.com and wait for them to email you with their 45%-60% off sales that they have every month and a half.
You'll still probably need to get a better graphics card, but you can probably get a powerful xeon-based system with 16gb of ram for under 500 bucks or even under 300.

That's how I got my Dell T5500 Workstation, for under 400 bucks a year and a half ago.
It's an old computer, and you'll probably want something newer.
But it has dual X5650 Xeon cpu's, a Quadro 4000 graphics card which I've upgraded, 850 watt psu, and 24gb of ram.
And you can find very cheap alternatives on Ebay for maybe 200-300 bucks less.
>>
Or watch this site daily.

https://www.dellauction.com/

People mostly go here to score cheap MacBooks but you can get some very good deals on workstation desktops too for between 200 to 400 bucks.
>>
>>582705
Around the 1,000 dollar range give or take a few bucks.
I'm scared I'd screw it up if I tried to build it on my own.
>>
>>582137
>>582861
I've just finished putting my PC together, after a decade of not having touched the insides of a computer. Trust me, building a PC is like Lego for adults. It has never been so easy as today. You don't even have to set jumpers like in the 90s anymore. Just literally put the triangle, circle and square in their holes and done. Look up some tutorial build videos and you'll see anyone can do it.
>>
>>582871
Thanks for the encouragement.

Does this look like a good list of parts?https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F7tX8K
Is there anything I should change?
>>
>>582761
>and communism will come to you

I like having food, no thanks.
>>
>>582885
>gtx 1060
hideous
>>
>>582894
What would you use instead?
>>
>>582896
gtx 1080 SLI
>>
>>582885
I like everything, your memory looks okay, although you might stand to benefit from using an m.2 NVME SSD over a standard SSD for faster read and write speeds.

You can probably get a decent 256gb NVME SSD for just 10 to 20 bucks more than the one you chose. Like this one, which has MLC so that you'll have the best enduring read and write speeds at this price point, and between double to tripple the performance of a standard Sata SSD:
https://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-80mm-Express-PCIe-240GB/dp/B01M4OO1FT?tag=bom_tomshardware-20&ascsubtag=site:thus%7Ctid:45111505880765399&SubscriptionId=AKIAJLYKPRLXUSF4GDIQ&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953

Also, I think your 1060 will be okay, but 1070 would be better. But it all depends on your budget.

If you want to save up for something better, then get a temporary crappy GPU like the 1030 for 66 bucks (or something even cheaper) and wait for a decent sale.

Over at https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/search?q=GPU&sort=new&restrict_sr=on&feature=legacy_search
you can find daily deals on the GTX 1070 for around 100 bucks more than 1060 you chose. Otherwise, your 1060 should be fine for the meantime, or wait so that when the holidays come, you should be able to score a 1070 for 330 or less.
>>
>>582761
kot blini
>>
>you can never get a straight answer from these nerds.
>>
>>582762
Where do I find one?
>>
File: edwin.jpg (2.71 MB, 3264x2448)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
AuTiSm
>>
I'm building one specifically so I can get SolidWorks and practice it well enough so I can put it on my resume. I bought two cheap monitors on the facebook market place and got an intel i7 and an LGA 1151. It's my first build. I have to save money toward other things rn. so idk when it'll be done.
>>
I'm honestly surprised that people can navigate 3d software and learn skills through self-motivation and tutorials but can't figure out how to pick out parts on a webshop and click the build this shit for me button at the checkout.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.