[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 39 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: download.jpg (4 KB, 402x125)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>same machine

Maya takes over a minute to load and have the user be able to move around the viewport.

Blender is free, and takes less than 10 seconds. You can create so much, so much faster.

Maya is objectively shit.
>>
File: 1500752735522.jpg (368 KB, 3000x3000)
368 KB
368 KB JPG
>>585316
try harder OP
>>
>blender shitposter in 3...2....1
>>
>>585316
Now try to import an .vdb sequence into Blender and see how fast it is.
>>
>>585319
>proprietary software sequence
found the problem
>>
>>585316

3DS Max is better than both. People hate it because it's too hard to use for their little brains.

Blender sucks btw.
>>
>>585325
>3DS Max is better than both.
KEK
>>
>>585323
Yeah, in that case Blender IS the problem.

But on a serious note, do you really expect a program which is 11 times bigger than Blender to load all of its stuff in the same time?

Also your Computer is slow. Mine loads Blender in 1 and a half second, Maya in 30s max.
>>
>>585327
my computer is far from slow. I only update relevant parts like the gpu. I underclock my 2010 i7 cpu, no need to upgrade
>>
>>585325
i don't get it. everytime someone comes and says something different
one time people say maya is junk, other time people say 3ds is junk.
can't you use both? what should u use?
>>
>>585326

It's true. WAY better modeling tools, better autorig (biped, CAT) but bad rigging tools, animations is ok. When it comes tu pure modeling you just can't beat 3DS max with it's modifiers and it's generators.
>>
>>585323
>retarded blenderfag is retarded
Wow, who could have seen that coming?

http://www.openvdb.org/about/
http://www.openvdb.org/license/
>>
>>585334
>proprietary simulation library in an open source software

i want to beat the stupid out of you
>>
FOR FUCKS SAKE GUYS THIS IS A BAIT THREAD
>>
>>585331
Max for modelling
Maya for rigging and animation
>>585335
you should start with beating the stupid out of yourself.
What do you guess the OPEN in OpenVDB stands for?
>>
>>585344

Maya is fine for modeling tho. I'd use 3ds max more if the selection tools weren't that atrocious.
>>
>>585344
Tried using Maya again yesterday and the modeling tools seem woefully limited, am I missing something? I think I'll stop trying to make things in it and instead read up on animating. Not that I think there's anything wrong with using Max's bones/wires/motion tools for rigging and animation, but maybe there's a revelation waiting to happen.

>>585360
What's wrong with the selection tools?
>>
>>585383
You need to use the marking menus to make modelling fun.
Shift+right mouse and Ctrl+right mouse.
I myself also just started to use Maya for modelling (practice) usually i used C4d or Blender.
I am learning modelling in Maya now and if i am done I'll learn Max.
>>585360
Yeah, whats wrong with the selection tools?
>>
>>585383
>>585408

Loop selection sucks (sometimes it loses it's path and starts selecting faces that are outside of the loop), drag select is absolute trash.
>>
>>585383
It's best to install some modeling add-on scripts in Maya.
>>
>>585344
Wish I had learned Maya over max, Maya has just way more professional support over max. Max is alright lots of hobbyist and middle pros, but Maya gets you into high tier end shit. Im talking VFX of course.
>>
>>585329
>Underclocking a 7 year old CPU

Nice memes
>>
>>585465

Nothing stops you from learning Maya. Any 3d artist should know how to use this software.
>>
>>585486
>>585450
>>585448
>>585360
>>585339

I don't even care that this is a bait thread. Blender is very clearly a capable program with a steep learning curve, but literally nothing else matters other than the fact that Maya is SUBSCRIPTION BASED and costs over a fucking thousand dollars a year. Out of principle you idiots shouldn't be RENTING software, especially when it's $185 a fucking month.
>>
>>585316
>Maya takes over a minute to load
This. My studio finally switched from Maya 2013 to 2018 and holy shit, it takes so long to start.

>>585344
>Max for modelling
>Maya for rigging and animation
I don't know why people keep on posting this meme for over 10 years.
I prefer modeling in maya and rigging in max.

Max have better linear solutions for complicated problems while maya have superior UI.
I''l never touch modeling in max until they implement marking menu.
>>
>>585509
Out of principle, people pirate Autojews products until their portfolio is good enough, then apply to a job somewhere.
Nobody pays $185 who doesn't earn enough to write it off as production costs.
>>
>>585527
I even worked at a studio that bought a license for 1 year but never used it and just pirated the maya for years.
>>
>>585527

Wouldn't you think they would be aware of this and attempt to cash in on punishing the pirates?
>>
>>585541

.obj files don't contain metadata
>>
>>585541

As far as I know, Autodesk never harassed individuals and small indie studios for using cracked 3ds max and Maya. They target big studios.

If you're into game/animating stuff you can rend Maya LT, it has everything needed for video games and only costs $230 a year (the price of a monthly subscription of full maya)
>>
>>585548
>If you're into game/animating stuff you can rend Maya LT, it has everything needed for video games and only costs $230 a year (the price of a monthly subscription of full maya)
Maya LT doesnt even have python scripting mate, it only has MEL.

If you cant afford 1 year maya for ~$1.5k or 3 years for $4k you are poor, period. Get a full time dayjob and stop wasting your money on crap
>>
>>585559

I have some news for you. Maya LT has python scripting.

Why would I pay $1700 a year for features I'll never use?
>>
>>585569

Maya LT 2018 has python scripting*. Also, they got rid of the polygon limit.
>>
>>585570
>2018
oh man.

>Why would I pay $1700 a year for features I'll never use?
you what now?
>>
>>585574

Your reply don't make much sense. Let's me just put this straight. I'm mainly a 3d artist, and I'm ok at rigging and animating. I have no use for vfx stuff that full maya has. All I need is included in Maya LT. So my point is, who would I pay $1700 a year when I can pay $250 a year for the same thing?
>>
>>585509

Of course Blender is great. The problem is that it's not used in the industry. It's a GREAT tool for freelancers or for personnal projects, but don't bother learning it if you want to work in a game studio.
>>
>>585316
Obviously it needs to load all of the more powerful algorithms to make your modeling skills way better.
>>
>>585325
The times I've heard people yell "Fucking MAX" consistently outweigh people cursing Blender at our office. There are more Blender users.
I rest my case.
>>
>>585331
Maya is ass for modeling, but excellent for rigging/animating. Max is pretty good for modeling anything but it's a mess on rigging and clunky as shit on animating.

>>585435
Either you have to reinstall your max or you're a retard that dont pay attention to flow.

>>585575
He's a shill trying to sell you full Maya.

>>585509
Blender is a beast full of content and options caged behind horrible UX design choices, being German AND FOSS doesn't do it good on that part and sadly it's a really important thing for industry as it saves time.
It is pretty much the Dwarf Fortress of 3d software.
>>
>>585658
i see developer take something like a specific tool and just fix the UI - resell it for and people buy it.
some guy fixed the painting tools by just rearranging the UI to be more understandable, he charges 40$ and people buy it
>>
>>585327
It's absolutely hilarious when computer illiterates claim proficiency in performance analytics.
Maya doesn't have an excuse to start slow. Programs aren't large binary blobs you have to load into ram all at once.
It's simply a neglect issue. They don't consider optimizing their startup times to be of value for their customers compared to where they could spend that effort otherwise. Such as wasting resources on stylish UI. Open up one of these tools in nsight. You'll be astounded by how much of the time they spend simply drawing the UI.
As a software developer it's perhaps more obvious to me but the performance of these applications should be bound to the content you produce with them. Find an old crappy laptop and try to run these tools. Just make a simple block. They'll choke up.
>>
>>585316
people criticise MAX because is much more complex and complete program.. basically the rest is Paint3d
>>
Maya has a bunch of other shit built into it, most of which I or anyone else here won't ever use to be honest.
>>
>>585316
I agree.
>>
>>585658
>>Either you have to reinstall your max or you're a retard that dont pay attention to flow.

3ds max is literally the ONLY software that gives me that crap. Selection is a breeze in every other software. I'm just about to leave this dinosaur anyway, it does everything twice as slow as other softwares.
>>
File: 1420427640947.jpg (13 KB, 196x178)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>585739
modeling in max is top tier, you're just bad with it
maya is better for other things though

just don't try to blame your own incompetence on the software...
>>
As a maya user i do have to admint that the loading and lagging is ridiculous when compared to other packages like blender and cinema 4d and i wud genuinely like a proper explanation if anyone has one.
>>
>>585759
Inb4 shitty pc , i use i7 6800k , 16gb ram, gtx 1070 8gb. Its the machine at my studio.
>>
>>585316
>>585759

Maya 2017 is slow as shit. Try 2016.5 or 2018 if lag is a problem.
>>
>>585316
I love blender.. but I really like rigging and the navigation in maya. If only I could rig as fast in blender.
>>
>>585318
>Come into thread by blender shitposter
>Countdown to arrival of blender shitposter
???
>>
>>585896
im not always behind his psychotic tendencies
>>
>>585882

Not this guy but I can tell you that Maya 2018 is still slow and laggy as shit.
>>
>>585316
>hey theres this new program and its not at all like my old program also i dont know the shortcuts its so shit
I swear if Id get a dollar for every thread like this
>>
What do you mean? Maya loads in 20-30 seconds on my NVME SSD.
>>
>>587092
Now launch Blender.
>>
>>587092
>>587093
Oh sorry I didn't get the joke.
>>
>>585527
>>585577
Isn't this wrong? I thought companies hire based on how good the artist is? If your Blender work is good enough, they'll just teach you how to use the professional pipeline?
>>
>>585548
>>585559
>>585569
>>585570
What are the key advantages Maya LT has over Blender anyway? Blender's a pretty powerful 3D suite these days, is it really worth it for an indie dev to get an LT subscription?
>>
>>585906
My framerates improved about 40% on moderately heavy rigs after switching to 2018. YMMV.
>>
>>587108
Just imagine they can choose between 2 artist who are equally good. One uses only Blender, the other one knows Max and Maya...
Who do you think they hire?
>>
>>587173
>equally good
Yeah, you're really going to run into a lot of scenarios where you're competing with guys who are arbitrarily as talented as you are.
>>
>>587179
Since it is difficult to determine skill with just an interview and a look into the portfolio, lets just say these APPEAR to be equally good.
Who do you think they will hire, when they know they have to train one of them extra?
>>
>>587183
>Since it is difficult to determine skill with just an interview and a look into the portfolio
For you, maybe.

For experienced professionals in the industry, no. The better artist will always be hired.
>>
>>587184
You go through a lot of mental gymnastics to not answer my question and accept the truth that Blender-faggots have it more difficult in the industry when they don't know shit about the industry tools.
Good luck with that.
>>
>>587187
It's not my fault you're too stupid to grasp the fact that there are some people far more qualified than you at judging art.

You're probably salty you lost job opportunities to talented artists who only used Blender.
>>
>>587191
I have no problem to accept that there are people more qualified in any way than me, but you are still sidestepping my central point.
You either don't want to address it because you don't like the implication or you are too stupid to even grasp what i was trying to say.
>>
>>587173
im jumping right into the feud
>Who do you think they hire?
Probable the Max/Maya guy because those are the most used tool everythere (yes, I mean they are the standard professional tools)

>>587184
true, but it still happens that a choice will be very hard between two equally good candidates. In that scenario, I'd bet all the pants I own that the blender guy will be discarded for that sole reason

>>587187
seconded
>>
>>587110

I was talking about the interface, it still feels heavy and sluggish, not funny at all especially when you use Modo just before.
>>
Pick up 3ds max you little bitch.
>Fucking blender
Kys senpai
>>
>>587231

3DS Max is horrendous, slow and not fun to use at all. Each time I use it I just want to kill myself. I'd rather use Maya, even for modeling.
>>
File: 1496920035-larrydance.gif (504 KB, 382x287)
504 KB
504 KB GIF
>>587231

I went from 3ds max/maya to Blender. It didn't make my art any worse, actually I was able to make much more in less time.

So take your cracked dinosaur and shove it down your ass.
>>
>>587194
>but you are still sidestepping my central point
Which is utterly meaningless, because pretty much nobody will ever find themselves in a situation like that.

>You either don't want to address it
More like I don't need to address it, because it's a dumb point from a poor artist.
>>
>>587249
so the best you have in your arsenal is a contradiction, the rest is name-calling and ad hominem.
Couldn't be more obvious that you have no real argument.
>>
>>587295
>the rest is name-calling and ad hominem
It's all you're worth. By all means, keep living by that elitist attitude of thinking choice of software matters; it won't get you hired though.
>>
>>587298
Like i said you put a lot of effort into not getting my central point. I never said that the choice of software is what really matters, UNLESS ability is not a factor.
Of course the better artist gets the job, i never implied otherwise.
Its about economics. Training a good Blenderartist to a new program takes less time than training an mediocre Maya artist to be good.

But anyways, training cost time and money and if a company can go with another artist who doesn't need additional training it becomes a deciding factor.

I don't have a elitist attitude, more like a practical one.
That's why i know and use not only Blender but also Maya, Modo, Mari, Substance Painter and Z-Brush.

Do these tools make me a better artist? I don't think so, but the combination of tools make me faster than someone who only uses Blender.
>>
>>587304
>the idiot is still desperately clinging onto his worthless point this badly
Jesus this is sad. The scenario you describe rarely even happens, and will probably never happen to anyone on /3/. Again, by all means, waste your time on proprietary software at your leisure, it won't improve your job prospects because you're a crap artist.
>>
>>587330
You should have shut up when the time was right, now your mental retardation is in the open for everybody to see.
>>
>>587330

What an idiot. Let me get this straight for you. Maya, 3ds max and Modo will give you job opportunities in real studios. Blender will get you nowhere because nobody uses it in any real studio.
>>
>>587347
You're STILL getting this asspained? Embarrassing.

>>587389
t. unemployed moron who failed to develop his artistic ability.
>>
>>587347
>>587389
You realize you're exactly the kind of retard described in the sticky?
>>
>>585331
there is "people say" and there is "4chan"say
>>
>>585658
>Blender has horrible UI
I want this meme to die.
Maya is objectively retarded in the way it handles menues, windows and hotkeys (or the lack there of).
>>
I'm pretty sure anyone who has used Blender and Maya knows that Blender is extremely much more effective and stable.
The problem is that a lot of people start out with Maya, because they learn 3D at school, and Maya is the "industry standard". That's why they get confused when they try Blender and it's unique UI/hotkey system, and give up before they learn it.
>>
>>587420
Blenders UI is not horrible, but messy.
If they can get it streamlined and more ordered it could actually be good. As of now it is a mediocre UI, some stuff is good, some is bad.
Same is true for every DCC, there is none with a perfect UI, every tool has good and bad sides.

>>587421
Your argument is a straw man and has been refuted countless times.

I have used both and Blender is more stable but less effective than Maya.
>>
>>587427
How is Blender's UI "messy"?
In Maya, for example, you've got four fucking dropdown menus for mesh editing, all with ambiguous names, and no structure.

>I have used both and Blender is more stable but less effective than Maya.
How is Blender "less effective"?
You can do everything faster in Blender, thanks to an actual hotkey system. Do you actually click all the buttons for every action?
>>
>>587430
Yeah Maya is a different kind of messy, but at least its ordered.
Blender for example has all the options regarding the visual representation of an object spread in the N panel and the property panel while every other DCC has it in one single menu.

>How is Blender "less effective"?
By not having the same amount of functionality as Maya.
Especially in terms of Rigging and Character Animation.
That doesn't matter until you do complex stuff so it might elude you.

Maya has marking menu's and shortcuts you can customize it to your liking.

But you are right Blender is faster with what it can do, that's why i never model in Maya.
>>
>>587420
>>587427
No. Blender's UI is broken, just like the rest of Blender and that's neither a meme or something that's going to change.
>>
>>587430
If you work only in Blender than the hotkey sistem is very nice and quite fast. If you work like most professionals with several 3d applications(probably at least 6) and let's say you forget one hotkey, good luck finding what you were loooking for in that mess of a UI. Maya's ui is way more ordered and more easy to find stuff in than what Blender has.
>>
>>587441
If you work in Blender, the hotkey system is all there is.
>>
>>587438
>not having the same amount of functionality as Maya
I haven't done much animation, but what functions in Maya don't you have in Blender?
>>
>>587439
>Blender's UI is broken
Just stop it. It's great.

>>587441
It's not many you need to learn. If you forget one of the more advanced combinations, 99% of the time you'll find it in the bottom left corner of the window if you're in the right mode.
Meanwhile Maya has almost no useful hotkeys, unless you script some yourself.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.