[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1457331854761.gif (2.75 MB, 300x300)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB GIF
is modelling in maya a thing?
>>
Is modelling in anything other than Maya a thing?
>>
>>595346
i thought 3ds max was the ((((((industry standard))))))
>>
>>595341

Maya 2017 and 2018 are great for modeling, especially with the free bonus tools.
>>
>>595341
IS MODELLING STILL A THING?
SCULPTING MASTER RACE REEEEEEEE
>>
>is modeling in the worlds most popular modeling suite a thing
>>
File: FB_IMG_1512032583848.jpg (17 KB, 332x443)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>595341
Maya 2k16 and below sucked for modelling, recently had to downgrade while working with a shit company. 2k17 and up are much better. The modelling toolkit stuff has improved as well as the bonus tools thing someone already mentioned. It's still a bit weird but if you like maya it's nothing to kill yourself over.

That said it seriously lacks compared to the things you're able to do in c4d and blender, just because they have procedural shit available in much more logical places. I can't yet get around using MASH for modelling.
>>
>>595408
Computer gore upsets me so much more than real gore, I don't know why.
Maybe because I deeply sympathize with the plight of defenseless electronics, being an android myself
>>
>>595353
3DS Max is D E A D C O N T E N T
>>
>>595484
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>595353
Hey Anon, new to the industry?

Depending on where you are, and what you're doing, different software will always be crowned king. Working in a movie pipeline? You'll probably be doing most of your work in Maya. Working on a game? There's a high chance you'll be in Max, but Maya is still around. Are you working on architectural and hard surface stuff? Max is absolutely the king. Hell, sometimes I hear the odd studio still using Softimage (Rip), or another package.

People will tell you one package is better than another, but they're all viable depending on what you're doing. Try a few, and pick up the package that you like and want to invest time into. Learn the types of jobs associated with it as well. I score a lot of my jobs just because I'm a 3DS Max user surrounded by Maya users. I personally suggest learning Maya, since I think it's a typically much more robust tool, but don't ever let yourself get cornered by one package. Once you learn the basics of one, always be prepared to learn something new and move on.

If you don't, the industry will leave you behind eventually
>>
It's TWO THOUSAND AND SEVENTEEN.

USE FUCKING MODO AND ZBRUSH TO MODEL AND SCULPT.

DONT HAVE MONEY? GET A DAMN JOB. I'VE BEEN WORKING SINCE I WAS FUCKING 13.
>>
File: 1504376108153.jpg (13 KB, 261x165)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>595583
>MODO
>>
>>595583
Zbrush is my favorite sculpting tool, but sometimes programs like Max are better for machinery and what not (although I would do my finishing touches in zbrush still).

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.