[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 114 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

last one hit the bump limit >>591723
>>
File: 1511059048468.jpg (39 KB, 480x480)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
How do I polymodel human faces that look decent?
My wrist is fucked and I don't have the dexterity for sculpting.
>>
>>595921
learn how to ise your unfucked wrist...
once I broke my right wrist, in 4-5 grade and I learned how to draw/write with left one, when I was comfortable with it, my wrist healed tho.. so it's doable
(I was not forced BTW)
>>
anyone here came across a good tutorial for understanding blender compositor?

the tool itself is great but i can only use like 10% of it because there are no tutorials
>>
>>595926
I'm not so young that I have the neuroplasticity to use Old Lefty for more than masturbatory purposes.

Is there not a way to polymodel good faces?
>>
>>595939
of course there is, start making faces with box modelling and you'll get there

there's anon in WIP who is very good at box modelling.

as "wrist" goes, actually you can train your leftie to work, not saying that you should do it because of this particular thing, but it's doable.
>>
File: 1473493628156.gif (3.4 MB, 500x438)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB GIF
So at the off-chance of sounding like a complete dunce - how do I go about finding a decent artist to comission?

A friend drew me a 2D character a long time ago and since then I got a bit of fanart of said character. Now I want a 3D model of it to use for VRchat and maybe other programs as well.

Im a dunce when it comes to 3D modelling and I lack the patience and passion to get into it myself. Before I hire some fuccboi asshole, I'd rather get someone from around here.

I know it's a tall order and it would get a bit pricey but I'm willing to pay.
>>
>>595977
I'm a bored cunt and I'll probably do it for cheap if you're interested
Could you give me a bit more detail on what exactly you want?
>>
>>595983
Sure, do you have something Discord or Skype? I could send you some reference images etc there.
>>
>>595987
Wait I'll reinstall discord
But how will you accept the invite in the time window?
>>
>>595987
Okay I got it set up my tag is Lev#7907
>>
>>595994
Sent you a friend request. Sorry for spamming the thread.
>>
>>595998
Ye don't say sorry cunt no one gives a fuck about threads
>>
Is it possible to use a 3D monitor with Blender?
>>
>>596009
yes, why not?
>>
File: 1511916922995.jpg (442 KB, 900x1200)
442 KB
442 KB JPG
Will someone please post a tutorial on UV unwrapping and how to paint textures?
I want to try to go into low poly again but I can never unwrap properly and the seams always fucking show on the textures/it's shit.

also what program do you guys recommend for this sort of shit. honestly these god damn textures are the only things keeping me away from 3D.
>>
>>596202
you probably do 2 of these mistakes

1. you set the island margin too close (default is too close, islands should be far apart by a small amount)

2.you don't enable bleeding/padding when texturing or baking

both of these can be solved with just clicking a few buttons, and of course - a good unwrap
>>
>>596202
Well honestly you could look into substance painter, pirate it if you're not earning or something

It actually makes the job of texturing much simpler and stuff
And if you use that you can just auto unwrap everything easily

Just go.look up substance painter
>>
>>596202
too stupid to search on youtube?
Come on man don't demand shit that is available in abundance. What are you? 12?
Also like he >>596212 said, use Substance Painter.
>>
File: 1405919643619.jpg (48 KB, 590x390)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
Is there any option or addon to Blender that smoothes the edit-wireframe when using a subdivision surface like in Maya?

And does anyone have any opinons when it comes to the focal length of the viewport camera? What length makes most sense to work with?
>>
>>596263
Focus length is in the right panel under view i think.
>>
>>596250
substance painter is only gonna make his problems worse
more options and no understanding of basics
>>
>>596263
its called adjust edit cage, a three dot triangle in the modifir
>>
File: 1282174912248.jpg (42 KB, 311x334)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>596456
You are a saint! Can't believe I've never stumbled upon that considering I frequently use all the three buttons right next to it.
>>
In Maya, I made a mistake when bridging two edges, and now whenever I rotate a bone that affects the edge in question, it breaks the model. How do I find where exactly a specific edit such as the bridged surface, in question is on the model? I know you can do something similar with extrusions but I don't know about bridges.
>>
>>596492
Nevermind, I fixed it. For people in the future, here's exactly what the issue I was having was;

I had used the bridge tool to correct inconsistencies in my rigged model. But, whenever I tried to manipulate the bones that affect the bridged portions, I get a warning;
>// Warning: Can't perform polyBridgeEdge16 on selection
What followed was the model would explode to proportions beyond render distance with seemingly random changes to the model. This is because Maya's bridge tool is ass, and does not go well with being rigged. Thankfully, while the tool itself has dirty edits left over, deleting the history essentially cleans all the bullshit up.

My teacher told me to delete history frequently, and now I know why.
>>
Quick question: how do you avoid suicidal thoughts?
>>
>>596501
>My teacher told me to delete history frequently, and now I know why.
Seems like the same reason you would reset XForm in Max. I guess every package has it's own oddities that you need to flush once in a while.
>>
>>596501
My uncle told me to to delete my history often too
>>
>>596503
Seriously?
Do you suffer from depression?
>>
File: 1492523457053.png (45 KB, 739x566)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
in maya, how do i set a joint (or controller?) to not inherit rotation from its parent?
i'm using someone else's rigged character and want to set it so that the head doesn't inherit rotation, like the "hinge" property in the rigify biped in blender.
>>
Part of my mesh has inverted normals and can be seen through when I import it in UE4. Normals are clearly pointing in the right direction and that mesh is literally a simple cylinder (connected to some other parts, it's just a railing). I applied scale, location and rotation, centered the object in the viewport before exporting, have my UVs setup and everything... Why don't you like me, UE4?
>>
>>596653
you can normals in ue4 aswell if im not mistaken
>>
When do you typically use nurbs over polygons and vice versa? Are there more object structure types?
>>
File: roof.jpg (316 KB, 1300x841)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
If I wanted to create a roof like this, is it better to model everything by hand or use a texture with a displacement? I'm thinking about this - if I use a texture and want to displace it, I'll need to add tons of edges to that mesh in order to displace properly. If I just model all those separate shingles, they'd be pretty low-poly, and even if there were a lot of them, the whole roof may even have less geo that way. Idk. What else can I do? Maybe model it and bake to low-poly so it's not completely flat and the rest will be done with a normal map I get from the bake?
>>
>>596716
Model a couple variations, then use an Array modifier or a particle system or some other means of duplicating your tile variations at random.
>>
>>596716
for render purposes only i would go with displacement maps and having a base lowpoly model for each shingle
for real time you are pretty much fucked
>>
>>596703
nurbs are typically used for tubes,laces,strands etc.
you can also make complex shapes like car exterior
>>
When I launch Blender there's a tab labeled "Interaction" where I can choose between 'Blender (Default)', '3DSMax', and 'Maya'. Exactly what does it even do?
>>
>>596720
>>596726
I tried modeling them now. Of course, I'd need to add some variation. They have around 26k faces.

Yes, it's realtime, but not a full game, so I don't care much anyway. That being said, I don't know what to believe anymore, since I heard multiple times that UE4 doesn't give a fuck about poly count. By the end, my roof would have around 55k faces, and I'd maybe have around a dozen or so houses in the scene.
>>
File: shinglels.jpg (138 KB, 1235x650)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>596733
Epic, forgot the pic.
>>
>>596734
And also, I went through some tutorial where he made 2 layers of them, as you can see from the picture, but the second one is not that noticeable. Maybe I could do it without it, leaving me with 13-15k faces per the side of the roof.
>>
>>596734
Do you have polygons on the underside?
Delete them, you won't see them anyways.
That's probably 20k polygons less.
And yes UE4 doesn't give a fuck, but its good to have the habit of optimizing a little.
>>
>>596653
If it is a skeletal mesh, I had a similar problem. Exporting it with animations into UE4 scaled it to -1, and the only solution I found was importing the mesh without animations, but to the same skeleton.
>>
File: whyudothis.jpg (80 KB, 1006x569)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>596740
Oh, I do, thanks for reminding me of that, I'll delete those faces.

Btw, how the hell could I properly UV this? It's too chaotic for me so ofc, I just used automatic unwrap, and OFC that it will get fucked up.
>>
>>596744
And actually that is a shit solution, since half of my UV space will be wasted on those shingles underneath that can barely be seen. Now I'm actually thinking about how to optimize it even more - leave the shingles on the sides of the roof, while having a single polygon under the top layer. You only need to see some orange stuff underneath it, so you don't see the hole between the shingles, so I think that could work well, hmm... Maybe I should try making some texture with Designer as well, I've seen some breakdowns for this type of texture, but it's going a bit over my head.
>>
>>596745
Unwrap your shingles before you instance/array them. Then when you have them united as one mesh, just pack them and it should lay them out perfectly.

I call this strategic unwrapping. Whenever you have duplicated meshes, unwrap one, then copy it afterwards.
>>
Are there any other modeling programs like daz studio? I don't mind if they're of a lower quality I'm just really bored.
>>
File: zbh.png (806 KB, 1919x1080)
806 KB
806 KB PNG
So I'm slowly learning Zbrush and after saving last night I can't seem to sculpt on my test object anymore. The cursor/brush is all over the place. When I try to brush the "face" it ends up adding on the back instead. Does anyone know what's going on?

I tried googling but I'm not getting any results that seem to fix it. It does look like the object is centered, so that doesn't seem to be it.
>>
What should I use for 2d drafting?

(making floorplans for maps for a roleplaying game desu)
>>
>>596759
try mixamo
>>596798
make a new project and add a dynasphere
>>596801
inkscape would probably be the easy choice, but you can also use cad software.
honestly just use 3D software in upper view ortographic
>>
are there tools in maya which are similar to sfm? like in sfm you can make an object snap to any surface that is right behind it by holding shift while moving your mouse as its selected.

also, you can drag an object closer to your camera itself, rather than move among each axis.

also, you can make imaginary axes of rotation by moving an alternative transform.
>>
>>596831
>like in sfm you can make an object snap to any surface that is right behind it by holding shift while moving your mouse as its selected

Press D to enter pivot editing mode, then hold V to snap to vertices. You can then move the pivot to a vertex on the desired corner of your object. After that's done, press D again to exit pivot editing mode, then hold V to snap the object with the moved pivot to another vertex - preferably to another surface like you want.

You can also just use "Snap Together", under Modify > Snap Together Tool. You then click two surfaces and the first will snap to the second. This really only works well for flat objects like boxes, but it can be used to quickly get an object on top of another.

>also, you can drag an object closer to your camera itself, rather than move among each axis

I do not believe this is a thing. You can potentially create another perspective camera and use the outline of that as a reference to try and rotate your pivot to get an axis that moves towards it. This is a very janky solution to a kinda specific problem.

>also, you can make imaginary axes of rotation by moving an alternative transform

Uhh what
>>
How do I design characters that translate well to 3D? Most of the characters I design look like they belong in 2D.
>>
did ps1 games only have diffuse maps? What about specular?
>>
Whats the best tutorial for making detailed character meshes in maya 2017?
>>
>>597031
.... are you really asking that?

Damn I now officially feel like an oldfag. The PS1 had 2mb Ram and could only output 640 x 480 pixel image - yes, they only had diffuse maps. Slightly amazed you even asked that.
>>
>>597037
Yeah, you're an oldfag.
>>
Which one of these builds is the better ZBrush build?

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/mXTH99

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/NfwV3C
>>
>>597037
Don't feel bad for being an oldfag, at least you have a working brain.
These kiddies have the power to get every bit of knowledge they desire thanks to the internet, but they are too stupid to use it.
>>
Oh come on, UE4 general doesn't go on top of the catalog so I'll ask here as well.

Can you explain what exactly makes "baked" scene better and more photorealistic, compared to a scene with a fully dynamic lighting? Softness of shadows, gradients of light on surfaces... What? I certainly don't know.

I'm also interested if that has anything to do with the reason people usually use dynamic setup for natural exteriors. I wonder if it can be because the surfaces of foliage and trees are so thin, that you can't really notice any improvements in baked lighting anyway (maybe I'm talking bullshit, but as I said, I don't know the theory behind it). I mean, I know the reason is because of the dynamic weather, but maybe baked lighting wouldn't improve those types of meshes anyway? From my experience, I tried it many times and I literally cannot see any difference when I bake my lighting in nature exteriors, I don't know why.

And a third question which is also somewhat connected to the topic is - why the fuck are UE4 exteriors so shitty? I never saw a really good looking one. I'm trying to make one, but the amount of tryharding to get something good is crazy compared to what I can achieve by just pressing a render button in Cycles or Arnold.
>>
>>597189
>Can you explain what exactly makes "baked" scene better and more photorealistic, compared to a scene with a fully dynamic lighting?

because dynamic lightning is low res. you can bake high res lightning into your scene or simply amp up the res if your system is powerful.

dynamic lightning is more accurate for exteriors because often those are used for VR, for still images baked lightning wins

>And a third question which is also somewhat connected to the topic is - why the fuck are UE4 exteriors so shitty?

because the niggers are the archviz studio don't know how to create and place high quality foliage. and they surely don't know how to make materials with designer (which is 80% of the work)
>>
>>597197
Wait a second, I wasn't talking about archviz at all. I was talking about games. I actually wonder how many of them also use dynamic lighting for exteriors, I see people on artstation making their small scenes like that, but idk about pro studios. I just know that almost every ue4 exterior on artstation is shitty.
>>
>>597207
maybe its because most of those are made by 1 man armies, and not by professional studious.

good real time exteriors exist. did you play far cry primal? that's the work of hundreds, not just one nigger
>>
>>597224
Looked shitty and wasn't UE4.
>>
File: topo.jpg (153 KB, 1060x852)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
Are tris like this fine or should I go through the effort of making them quads?
I did not create the original mesh btw.
>>
>>597379
That's absolutely disgusting, and it's probably not hard to fix, so fix it.
>>
>>597379

Tris are bad for soft surface, especially if it's meant to be animated. Fix this now faggot.
>>
A question, i know that if you want to animate and render for a game you use a normal map of the high poly into the low poly, but, what would be the equivalent for rendering and film in real high detail? A bump map too?

The case is that i want to animate a short high quality animation with a robot ( hard surface ), which also i would want it to have some hair.
>>
File: Tearing.jpg (438 KB, 874x814)
438 KB
438 KB JPG
Is there an easy way to join overlapping points on a mesh? My meshes keep tearing apart whenever I subdivide or smooth them, and fixing each point manually is a hassle, though I can do that. Is there a function in Zbrush or Blender that solves this for me? Something that will like, merge points in accordance with proximity or something.
>>
File: Tearing2.jpg (452 KB, 656x816)
452 KB
452 KB JPG
>>597438
Here's an even more drastic example.
>>
>>597388
you would use a normal map (in high resolution)
and a displacement map for micro detail skin or sand
you can go wild and use 8,10,20k maps assuming you have the RAM
>>
>>597388
The high-end variant is to simply model everything out. Everything. Check out some of the work Vitaly Bulgarov did on Ghost in the Shell, the cyborg body has over 100 million polygons in it, consisting of thousands of small intricately layered pieces. You can also use 32-bit displacement maps for more organic details. Normal maps are still a nice tool to use, but more often than not, it’s mainly for real-time graphics than offline rendering, where the limit is your system RAM and rendering horsepower.
>>
>>597438
>>597443
Figured it out. It was the "remove doubles" function. Brilliant!
>>
>>597453
is it true that you can animate a character with millions of polys?
>>
>>597458
In our cgi stuff we either animate the lower LOD's or skin pre subsurf, depending on how big the model is.

Have fun skinning a high poly mesh, i would rather quit my job or kill myself that do that shit lol...
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (268 KB, 1920x1050)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
I can't see the manipulator on my scene object. what do?
>>
File: error.jpg (41 KB, 460x478)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>595914

how to solve that in sculture blender?
>>
>>597469

fixed
>>
>>597469
hit x and press left mouse button.
>>
>>597469
what the fuck are you doing?
watch proper sculpting tutorial
>>
>>597453

>>597448

Thanks for the answer, a last question, i suppose that those maps still require a low poly version of the high poly model, am i right?

Or i just unwrap the high poly?
>>
>>597480
usually what studios do is unwrap the lowpoly wire from the subdivision model

so essentially you leave subdivision level high on render, but in the viewport you treat your model as lowpoly
>>
>>597468
nobody? should i just reset my preferences?
>>
>>597482

I use maya, and that's something that happens sometimes, and yes, you should reset prefs, it tiresome sometimes, but I don't seem to find any other fix
>>
>>597483
this is a common thing? jesus wake me up inside.
>>
File: floor.png (131 KB, 1525x1177)
131 KB
131 KB PNG
learning rigging in blender, and trying to get it to interact with the floor. Limit Location constraint on the foot bone worked, but the toe dips past, and the same constraint on it doesnt work. Any advice?
>>
>>597707
should have an extra bone for the foot so he lands the toes first
>>
>>597725
>Landing toes first
He already has a bone at the front of the foot.
And running on your literal toes is bad for you anon.
>>
>>597725
I dunno what you mean. the constraint for the toe doesnt work regardless if the foot or toe hits the constraint location first.
>>
another question for the same rig. I've got just about all my right side bones weight painted how I want, and ran into an issue with mirroring. doing mirror vertex group fails for most if not all the vertices. I think my model is the tiniest bit off center. I can fix that with symmetrize, but I think that symmetrizes all my weight painting. As in my right thigh bone is painted to control both left and right thighs.
>>
File: toe.png (428 KB, 1891x1001)
428 KB
428 KB PNG
It's always something. So my left toe bone is seemingly glitched out. It's parented and set to connected to the foot bone, as far as I can see all of the settings are identical to the right toe bone. But the left toe has trouble staying connected, it trails behind the foot bone when I move it around, sometimes it gets stuck far away from it. Any action fixes it, even just switching to edit mode then back to pose mode. It glitches even in keyframe animation.
>>
I guess re-parenting it fixed it
>>
Is all this baking hp to lp, LODs etc. used just in games, or is it also a thing in static renders and cinematics?
>>
>>597928
It's mostly for games. In a static render you don't particularly have to worry about geometry count or texture resolution, because no one's really going to judge you for how long it took to render a scene, and in production a company can utilize as much render power as is needed to stay on schedule. When a single frame is rendered in hours, adding a couple million polys or 16K textures isn't going to make things much worse.
The only exception is that even at the high end of things, you still can't reasonably expect to rig and animate a character with too heavy of a dataset, so baking data is still appropriate, or even using a proxy that you swap for the final model at render time. But as far as render performance goes, they just toss whatever at it till it looks good and then brute-force the fuck out of it.
>>
I see on job postings that companies usually just say how they require experience in (insert 1 modeling software) or a similar program. Max is obviously one of those similar programs, but how can you know that Blender or Modo are also not welcome, when they say it like that? They don't mention "blendlets can't apply".
>>
File: stuff.png (677 KB, 1440x860)
677 KB
677 KB PNG
Modelling some stuff in houdini for sim work. It's not even that dense of a mesh but moving around in the viewport is absolutely abismal, any change takes like 5 seconds.

Running an i7 4770 and a 1060 6GB
>>
>>597962
it depends what kind of work is involved. simply don't specify your software or just say "maya" and when you get there just rewind all the keys to behave like blender.
it will take you about a week of messing around to figure out how to use the menu's. but you won't need them anyway since you will bind everything to the keyboard
>>
File: sdfs.png (55 KB, 674x714)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
It's my first time creating a model. She's going to be NAKED. My problem is I can't seem to find any tutorials on putting clothing on naked models. Would I have to create an entirely new model or section of my model in order to do that and have it swap out when changing clothes? I would really prefer to eventually do an undressing animation.
Here's the WIP

If I could have links to any tutorials that would be lovely. But any advice is appreciated.
>>
>>598112
you can do it with cloth sim + sewing feature
or you can extrude the clothes out of the body
>>
>>598117
I'm using Maya 2018.
Does this still apply?
>>
>>598119
yes
>>
Hey /3/, I'm in doubt

When you make a hard surface model, or just a model in general you obviously first make a white box of it, but the question is, how rough, how much detail should be put into it first?
>>
>>598260
it doesn't matter.
insert much detail as you want/can. only care when you are creating game content
>>
>>598260
You mean how much detail is spent on grayboxing a model out before coming to the actual modeling phase? Probably no more than whatever default geometry shapes your software comes with.
To me this workflow makes the most sense for environment design, and what I would do, say in Unreal, is throw down placeholders that merely serve the need as collision bounds, mark down the general dimensions of the various structures I might need, and then build them in Max, keeping modularity in mind.
But when it comes to the actual modeling of components, I never actually had the need to produce placeholders, I just straight up model the thing out to my desired detail level right off the bat.
In a way you want to keep your plans as loose as possible when it comes to the final look of things, because what you might have intended isn’t always the best thing in the end. At least I like to improvise like that. Like the most planning you could need to make something like a gun or spaceship is throwing together some boxes and cylinders into the general shape you need just to make sure the size and proportions are correct, and maybe leave them up as transparent bounds while modeling as a general guide. Sometimes I throw in helpers just so that have some size/position reference and that’s it.
>>
>>598264
>>598265

Thanks for the wisdom.
>>
File: mrum.png (81 KB, 913x645)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
I'm having trouble doing something in solidworks and know so little that I don't even know what terms to google.

I'm trying to dimension a sketch on an exterior surface of a part based on an interior cut-out made prior.

I've got some holes bored in a solid piece and need to remove some big chunks in the middle of the part with 0.1" clearance on either side of the bores for screw heads, but I don't know how to even describe this issue.

Somehow, I could dimension off the interior cut edge on my very first dimension, but now I can't get it to happen again.

If there are any better forums for Solidworks questions, I'm open to that as well. It's listed in the sticky as specialized rendering software so I figured it was ok here.
>>
>>598286
http://my.solidworks.com/forums
>>
File: thfck.png (286 KB, 1555x689)
286 KB
286 KB PNG
>>598289
I looked around there and couldn't figure out where to post or what to post. Figured I'd ask here because some of the lingo might be common.

I mean, what even is this layout?

In other news, I got the program to do the thing again, but now it won't do it again. So I have 2 of 4 edges spaced appropriately, at least.
>>
File: 1513099371721.png (379 KB, 700x700)
379 KB
379 KB PNG
how do i get a mesh and its blendshapes/morph targets from maya into blender?
i've tried all kinds of different FBX export settings, and nothing preserves the blendshapes when imported.
i know in daz there's a script that exports each shape as a static obj, and these can be joined as shapes in blender. is there a similar export script for maya?
>>
File: 1498402230400.jpg (15 KB, 388x341)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>decide to practice by recreating models of simple creatures like pokemon by just using images
>set up my orthographic model sheet using numerous references like an autist on cocaine
>finish the model
>it doesn't look right compared to the official model
>try again
>nope, it's still not accurate
It's fucking pikachu for fuck's sake.
Am I just going too crazy over this? Should I let go or keep going until I have a carbon copy?

>inb4 just shrink wrap lol
>inb4 just model voltorb lmao
>>
>Blender
>create breast physics using cloth simulation and mesh deform modifier
>play animation
>breasts sag a little bit

how do I make the breasts already sagged before the animation starts? I don't want them to jiggle at the beginning of every scene I use the character.
>>
can you export webms directly with blender ?
>>
Kind of a weird question, but I'm an aspiring concept artist looking to get in the movie industry (might have to start in games though). Anyway, while my school has been teaching me how to draw and design, they don't really give any specifics on what EXACTLY a technical artist NEEDS from a concept artist in order to fully realize their vision.

For example, what would a concept artist need to give a 3d modeler for, say, a vehicle design? Orthographics? Reference images? Texture maps? What would make a 3d modeler's life easier when recieving art from the concept artist?
>>
On Zbrush, is there any way to make a mask out of the intersection between a subtool and another one?
>>
>>598373
no
>>598318
use 2 scenes or two actions
>>598401
front and back is always good design wise, some artists do the character with a few different uniforms. a concept doesn't have to be fully colored or give all angels, a 3d artist can work with a concept as long as it follows the artistic direction
>>
>>598401
Unless you plan on diving balls deep into 3d modeling I suggest you just keep doing what you're doing, and try to be as detailed and easy to understand as you can.

While 3D modeling is relatively stable, it does go through upheavals from time to time. Sometime recently everyone started changing over to PBR shaders, which resulted in all of the texture maps changing.

Even then, there are valid reasons to not use PBR shaders, so you need to know your pipeline intimately, and what texture maps would be useful.

Not to mention that texture maps are totally useless if there isn't even a model that it maps to
>>
>>598404
>>598405
Thank you for the responses!

Helps a lot!
>>
File: depthoffield.png (536 KB, 1280x720)
536 KB
536 KB PNG
Playing around with rendering and depth of field in blender. I've set the head as the target object. and it definitely doesnt seem like the target object
>>
>>598432
in blender, whenever you set an object to be the target of depth of field, it actually sets the target to be the object's origin point, not the object's geometry.
i would recommend creating an empty, setting that to be the target, and then placing it wherever you want the focus to be.
>>
File: scared.png (604 KB, 1440x1080)
604 KB
604 KB PNG
>>598433
appreciated
>>
What would be the most correct and right way to approach making a modular interior environment?
Floor, few somewhat different walls and ceiling?
Should I model the whole thing together and then try to detach different part and then attach whats needed for each modular piece
or should I model each modular piece separately and then try to match them together?
What is the best, easiest, pain free method to do it?
>>
>>598474
I had a lengthy response for you, but my browser crashed and now my time is limited (i am in a hurry). I refer you to the video from Arrimus, which should cover the basics, (that's where i learned it from).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6--nQD1No-Y&list=PLxt9ZAGPLIpfczlW80ntY-__MqWmBU4sW
>>
>>598432
Where did you get the model?
>>
Hey Im traveler from /tg/, not sure if its right place but Im lookin for 3d printer project of some Insect legs for my big demon. A friend offered to print piece for me as a gift and im strugling with finding one that dosnt cost money(poor). Do you know some sites with free projects?
>>
>>598524
https://free3d.com
https://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-Models/free
>>
>>598499
blendswap I think, old, well known blender model
>>
>>598498
thats perfect, thank you.
>>
should i add surface detail in zbrush or substance?
>>
>>598630
why not both?
>>
I feel like I'm somewhat competent with game assets already, where do I find not very demanding/flexible people willing to pay for them? Do any devs at agdg pay their cgi artists?
>>
>>598630
Depends on the look you’re going for, I suppose... with ZBrush you’ll be baking modeled-in detail, so the tendency will be towards a more rough/organic look, even where hard surfaces are concerned, while in Painter you’re pasting on normal map decals, so it’ll look a lot more clean, especially since the decals aren’t part of the initial bake.
>>
>>598704
No, any attempt to hook up with a dev at AGDG is just going to result in a bunch of memeing, and payment from indie devs is the unicorn of gamedev.

If you like making game assets, make an asset pack for any of the most popular engine marketplaces, that's mostly where indiedevs go to get content.
>>
Hello, asking if someone has any good links, tips about boxmodelling game characters the old way, I'm searching for something similar as the book of Paul Steed (quake 2 and 3 modeller), it would be helpful if they were with quads rather triangles.
>>
>>598778
the modeling is always done with quads
>>
I'd really appreciate links to sources where I can learn how to polypaint foliage and bake them to texture, in zbrush.
>>
>>598835
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVFqluNzAnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQUUeT4QBOM
>>
File: whatamess.jpg (262 KB, 1914x636)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
pleb from another board here who just started dabbling with blender and unity for VRchat.
I grabbed a model from the steam workshop and did the necessary work to get it into blender. Once in blender however the pose and reference are lying on the floor and the skeleton stands upright.
If I clear all transform in pose mode, it resets all of them on export to FBX. And while I'm not sure if it's related at all, or if messing about with the pose in blender does anything, I then end up with the blob on the right in Unity and said warning.
How do I go about fixing this?
>>
so if i'm modeling something like a fence, and make a high poly model, and want to bake it to a plane with transparency maps how would i do that?

sorry if i worded it weird
>>
>>598878
transparency is only for texture maps I believe. I guess you could bake your high poly fence onto a texture map and make it 2D. I dont even know if you can bake a texture map with alpha channel.
>>
>>598858
group select everything and rotate it 90 degrees on x axis
>>
File: 31.12.2017-2.png (1.28 MB, 905x1301)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB PNG
Halp, how can i make albedo/color map for my skin textures better, i'm okay with bumps and pores but skin has other stuff going on too. Is it possible to make decent skin with procedurals or do i have to make most stuff by hand?
>>
File: 1507471708868.jpg (59 KB, 564x308)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
When should I use separate object, and when should they be just part of one mesh?
e.g. when sculpting hands, should nails be part of one mesh with fingers, or separate objects? Is it different for retopo?

Does it matter if an axe is made out of two separate meshes (grip and blade)? Is it different to nails because it doesn't deform?

Is it just to do with optimization?

I sculpted a head, but eyes and head are one mesh. Should I separate them?

If I have a character in a t-shirt and I want to add a jacket, do I need to copy the armature and weight paint the jacket manually?
Is there a way to copy weights from the t-shirt geometry so when I animate the model wearing the jacket, the model underneath it wouldn't clip through?, or is there a way to mask whatever geometry is inside the jacket?

pic not related
>>
>>599140
>e.g. when sculpting hands, should nails be part of one mesh with fingers, or separate objects? Is it different for retopo?

your choice

>Does it matter if an axe is made out of two separate meshes (grip and blade)? Is it different to nails because it doesn't deform?

doesn't matter, what matters is how the weights react to the meshes

>I sculpted a head, but eyes and head are one mesh. Should I separate them?

yes

If I have a character in a t-shirt and I want to add a jacket, do I need to copy the armature and weight paint the jacket manually?

if the jacket is wide or big then its best you weight paint it manually
>>
>>598405
Out of curiousity, why wouldn't you want to use PBR shaders?
>>
>>599142
thanks for your answers

Why is is it a choice of mine for axe and fingernails, but the eyes are definitive yes for separation?
Are there any other parts that should always be separate objects? Is there a rule for that?
>>
>>599143
not that guy, but
https://youtu.be/b4CQ99--XAA

To me, more artsy reason is the same for e.g. why use watercolor paints and not oil.
I just prefer the look

Other reasons are optimization, time it takes for one person to texture.
>>
>>599144
because in animation the eyes need to move around, and it wouldn't look good if the eyes moved in tendum with the rest of the face.
it doesn't matter if you have facial animation or not, its just a habit you should build up.
making a face with eye holes isn't easy either, but there are plenty of tutorials that demonstrate how to do that
>>
>>599144
>Are there any other parts that should always be separate objects? Is there a rule for that?
clothes and weapons should be separate.
in rare cases the head is separated from the neck because its easier to change outfits this way
>>
>>599146
>>599147
Thank you very much. I'm just learning sculpting for now, but I want to know what habits I need to build up for future, so I don't need to relearn things later, because I made some mistakes earlier.

Your replies are very helpful.
>>
>>599145
Huh, thanks. I haven't done much texturing, so this was very interesting.
>>
What's the best way to do a butt jiggle in blender?
>>
how do you guys do texturing with subdivision surface modeling. leaving it as a modifier it's messing with my textures. Do I need to apply it and re-do my unwrapping.
>>
>>599381
doesn't do any problems for me, just check "subdivide uv's. maybe it will help
>>
i'm doing character animation in maya 2016.5 and playback in the viewport is slow af
will upgrading to 2017 or 2018 help with this?
>>
>>599410
maybe you need to upgrade your computer instead.
Is the character optimized for animation? How poly is everything in the scene?
>>
Since intel fucked up that bad
Anyone actually use AMD here? What would you recommend for silky smooth everything
>>
>>599416
two referenced characters of about 19000 tris each
i've now moved the polys for each into different layers so i can easier hide and show each character, and disabled parallel rig evaluation, which sped up the viewport a bit (from 7fps to 10fps in the HUD readout), but it's still surprisingly slow. how do people animate with even heavier rigs, like malcolm? i'm on win64 with a GTX590, phenom ii @ 3.2ghz and 16GB RAM.
>>
>>599522
Get a new GPU
>>
File: Pepe Rex.jpg (18 KB, 500x333)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
As a beginner should I get ZBrush core, or just bite the bullet and get the full version?
Could I still follow most tutorials with the core version?
>>
Hey! Excuse me if this is the wrong board, first time I visit it.
I wanted to know what's the software to learn if I only want to model things to complement Electronics projects. Cases, small support structures, etc, ideally and usually to 3D print.

Where do I start? even better for me if its part of Autodesk as college gets me those tools in full version.

Any particularly good resource you got about it?

I know i'm asking for a lot, so I greatly appretiate any support you might give me
>>
>>599548
i think what you're looking for is a CAD software. I can't recommend any in particular but if you're looking for Autodesk there's AutoCAD and TinkerCAD you can look into. there's also some free ones but I don't know what's good
>>
>>599531
Full no doubt, even if you have to crack it, core has Too many features missing, such as zmodeler, lots of insert brushes, project paint, Core can be good if it comes with your tablet otherwise no, and if you don't have enough money and mind piracy get 3dcoat, is not as good as full zbrush but stands against Core.
>>
File: 20180105101405_1.jpg (72 KB, 1046x1046)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
Why are all of my Blender .obj exports coming out white? They render perfectly within Blender but when brought into Tilt Brush the textures are all gone. I've downloaded other folks' models from sketchfab and their textures load just fine- I already tried editing the MTL to point to the right folder/files
>>
Are there still asset stores that require you to pay a monthly fee for the associated game engine to be able to publish? That was ridiculous.
>>
>>599565
Rendering with "homemade" materials in cycles doesn't mean character is completely textured, i mean yeah, it was for the render, but if you want a character to have textured,you need to UV (Unwrap it) and the paint the UV, 3d paint the model or use a program such as substance to add pbr materials.

Sound complicated but gets easier with time.
>>
>>599606
If i remember correctly last time i checked Unreal does this, if your game has to be bought you had to give like a commission of 5% of sales or something such as that.
>>
>>599608

nigga... reread the post.
>>
How do I stop screaming
>>
Is there any word on whether VRChat will support UE4 in the future? Or will it forever be unity only?
>>
Hello, a question, would 3d modelling without a GPU work?, I plan to buy a laptop to work with only modelling (T430 16GB SSD I5 3320M), I have a desktop for games that i use to play aswell, so what I'm planning is to modelling with laptop on day and render models in Arnold when I'm home.
>>
>>599637
should be fine to model. gpu is more rendering, and might bottleneck on high poly sculpting.
>>
Any go to tutorials to quickly get up to speed with Maya? I have 8 weeks of time, so plenty but I'd like to not waste time with someone explaining the basics of 3D to me. I'm coming from Blender (No please don't start a war) with about 2 years of experience, but I have to reskill to Maya for a coming job. Thanks!
>>
>>599647
I can't actually give a any documents, i used to be a maya user like 8 months ago, i still feel kind of familiarized with The program though i switched, my best tip i can give is those marking menus, IIRC some such ctrl+shift+right click, or you can also create your own, these are the literal equivalent to blender turbo hotkey autism.
>>
>>599649

Thanks, I have used Maya before so I know the general UI workflow. I guess I'm looking for a "one thing solves all" solution as a course that takes me through the complete program and gives me an overview of everything, but targeted to people with experience in 3D.

For Example: Don't teach me what UV unwrapping is and explain it in 30 minutes, give a tour through the new UV editor and explain all major functions.

I'm more than willing to go through a 20 hour course, like I said, I have 8 weeks.
>>
File: 55555.jpg (314 KB, 1882x912)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
>>599607

Thanks a lot, it worked.

Do you know why it won't show the texture in the render preview?

My end goal here is to make the models skin a collage of different images, and I'm looking for the easiest possible way to be able to scale and arrange each image on the model in real time. Do you have any suggestions? I have substance painter as well if that changes anything
>>
>>599676
you can use the face mask selection in texture paint mode, and use a stencil to draw the picture you want into a limited number of faces.

you simply load an image to blender and it allows you use it as stencil.
you can move the stencil around with shift +mouse controls
>>
File: 8888888888.jpg (490 KB, 1920x1080)
490 KB
490 KB JPG
>>599678

That works perfectly- but now I'm running into the same problem where the texture doesn't show in the exported .obj

I'm thinking maybe I'm not using this node editor thing correctly?
>>
>>599686

I followed this tutorial here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSD1mXH2jOQ

And I notice that when I open the resulting .MTL in wordpad it isn't pointing to any texture
>>
>>599686
well anon, obj. files aren't meant to store textures.
they only store the mesh, and UV data along with some vertex groups.
.mtl file only holds the material name and number of materials
you need to export the .png separately
>>
>>599688
and this is how you display a texture in cycles
>>
File: 444.jpg (210 KB, 1920x1080)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>599688
>>599689

Nailed it

Thanks friend
>>
>>599140
That's the reason you always use a side view and front view.
>>
Guys I'm looking for a tutorial on how to texture sculpts made on zbrush, you know the retopo and uv's and all that. Something on cgpeers and no timelapses cause I want a clear explanation of how that shit works.
>>
File: piranha launcher.jpg (26 KB, 400x394)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
So, I'm making a model of a paintball gun. It won't need to work in-game so just the look of it matters. It's going to have a clear plastic ball on top of it where you load the gun, like pic related, with some opaque paintballs inside of it. I'm new to 3D modelling, so I want to make sure this will actually work before I do it.
If I have a big sphere with little spheres inside of it, can I use an opacity map so that the big sphere is almost transparent but the little spheres are opaque? Will this cause problems with the unwrapping?
>>
>>599736
If you're new to 3d start with something more basic.
>>
>>599744
Do you mean the gun in general or the fucking about with opacity maps? This is for a uni project so not doing a gun isn't really an option. Should have clarified: by new, I mean I've been using 3DS Max and zBrush for 4 months now.
Thanks, though
>>
>>599700
i've never seen anyone actually use paint 3D is it worth my time to understand the basics of it?
>>
>>599736

Why would it?

- Add the large sphere, give it inner face via solidify, apply, unwrap.
- Add the smaller spheres, position them either by rigid body sim or by hand, unwrap.
- Add a material of your choice to the large sphere, judging by your pic probably a green glass with some scratches per bump/normal and dirt via roughness
- add a material of your choice to the little balls.
>>
File: fruits kissing.jpg (42 KB, 599x361)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>599789
Thank you!
>>
>>599748

It seems too limited for there to be any point, I really just use it as a quick way to see if my exports are working correctly
>>
Has /3/ ever had any /3/-related job?
>>
>>599822
Currently looking for an AAA job, but I worked indie last summer (which counts as a /3/-related job, technically).

I know for a fact Hans Palm (Millenia) and Alex Senechal used to browse /3/. Pretty sure those guys have jobs. I've also seen a couple AAA artists post here recently.
>>
>>599822
Starting my first one in March, getting my Bachelors in January.
>>
File: brainlet-tier.png (142 KB, 436x219)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
anyone willing to help an anon out?
Ive no idea how to recolour the left image so it is similar to the right one without fucking it up completely or making it all one flat color.
>>
>>599958
1. Open in photoshop
2. Image -> Mode -> Lab Color
3. Press CTRL+U and shift the hue till you get the color you want
3.5. Alternatively you can pick the shade you want and paint it in with a brush set to color mode
4. Image -> Mode -> RGB Color
5. Save

LAB color mode separates color from luminance, so you can do whatever the hell you want with the color channels and it won't ruin the integrity of the image, however it's also a 'boundless' color space that's orders of magnitude larger than any other, so you have to be careful not to produce any illegal colors, or shit will get screwy when you switch back to RGB.
By compressing the A and B channels, you can significantly increase the color separation in images, which is useful when you need to pull a wider variety of shades from an otherwise gray or bland looking source.
>>
>>599958
just slap it into photoshop (or get gimp for free), select the coloured part and change the hue/rgb
>>
Is it worth the extra money to get the GTX 1070 Ti over the GTX 1070?
>>
>>599984
Yes
>>
File: 1511455194112.png (929 KB, 2060x986)
929 KB
929 KB PNG
Any way of fixing these in Blender? Using dyntopo and the sculpt tools addon.
>>
>>600114
You dun goofed. Should've never continued sculpting until you got the booleans right.
>>
>>600120
So I trash the entire thing (it's a whole body)?
>>
>>600114
bolean modifier, union function
>>
>>600125
Patching it with another mesh you mean?
>>
>>600126
what is the problem ur showing in the pic?
>>
>>600127
Tearing in a sculpt. RIP
>>
File: Animal foot.png (237 KB, 750x750)
237 KB
237 KB PNG
How do I make this foot bottom more rounded and less lumpy without removing vertices?
>>
>>600141
use the smooth brush
>>
>>600178
looks like blender, so go into edit mode, with all the vertices you want to round out, search for the "To Sphere" function (spacebar menu). should help.
>>
So on Maya 2018, there's an option to auto-fix non-manifold UV's or geometry, whatever it is, if such a thing is present on your mesh and you try to unwrap its UV's. I actually enabled this by accident... I'd like to revert back to the state it pops up a dialogue box warning you beforehand. How can I do that?
>>
I'm trying to break into the 3D modeling industry as a profession.

I currently have most of Maya down on lock and am breaking into Zbrush to learn proper sculpting and mapping.

Do any of you do this for a living? If so, what helped you get a job in this field the most?
>>
How does making certain spots on a mesh see-through work? I'm in the process of making clothing for a dark gothic universe and need to add ripped holes in jackets, sleeves, etc.

Would putting a blank spot in the texture work or would I need to manually go in and set a hole within the shirt?

Also, would this work for adding frayed edges to the clothing? IE: put the frayed edges on the bottom of the texture and leave the rest of the bottom with no data.
>>
>>600338
>Would putting a blank spot in the texture work?
Sure, why do you think it wouldn't? Having transparency in textures is pretty common,as in, everyone does it if needed
>>
>>600340
Cool, thanks! I was hoping it worked like that and didn't simply leave black/purple in the area
>>
>>600341
only if you don't activate transparency in whatever you are using it for(though nowadays 99,9% of all media allow it)
>>
trying to learn facial rigging in blender and it's kicking my butt. modeled my character with an open mouth, managed to get the mouth closed shape key as the basis, and the mouth opening as the first shape key. But in closing the mouth I forgot to move the chin up, so I went back and did that. But now the mouth opening shape key has taken that edit, and the mouth clips into a raised chin. So I'm missing an understanding of shape keys, I assumed it was a shape that the basis transforms into along the shape key slider. But editing the basis changed the first shape key, it's not a very set shape. Is the basis shape just completely off limits?
>>
>>600437
shape keys are only designed for demonstration and testing.
animation strips(actions) are not limited by the base pose
>>
>>595932
I always search for specifically what I want to do and find a lot of great tutorials or screenshots. What have you tried so far?
>>
>>595977
I am a beginner but I would love to try. I'll do it for free of course (because it may turn out to be trash). I just want some reference images of a cute 2D character to model for practice.
>>
>>600468
Do you have any sources for facial rigs that don't use shape keys, it's the only thing I've seen.
>>
File: bevs.png (48 KB, 980x727)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
I subdivided this cube and then extruded out these alternating pillars and then tried to bevel it all and I could only bevel the outside, I can't bevel the inner area. How do I bevel the insides into the shape that I've hinted at with the markings? Is there another way to make this shape that I'm trying to achieve? I don't know how to do it, but I want that shape. Please help me.
>>
>>600437
Select the shape key and the vertices you want to fix. go to mesh>vertices>Blend from shape. Then in the options on the left make sure it's set to basis and that Add is unchecked.
>>
File: lowpolykobold_2.jpg (82 KB, 798x633)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
How should I turn this spot right here into something capable of housing an eyeball?
>>
I keep trying to export a UV layout in blender, but it keeps crashing when I try to do it.
Can someone please help?
>>
>>600585
I fixed this one manually, but I'll keep those options in mind.
>>
>>600602
inset face. look up topology, you generally want edge loops around eyes and mouth
>>
File: eye.gif (158 KB, 450x364)
158 KB
158 KB GIF
>>600608
I have a vague idea of how face topology works but I'm not super clear on what I'd have to do to totally rework the edgeflow, which is what I'll probably have to do. I wasn't thinking too hard about it when I built the model and that was obviously a mistake. If I got desperate I suppose I could make it a live surface and use quad draw as though I was retopologizing a sculpt.

I was experimenting with the idea of using a UV offset to animate the eye but it looks, uh... and the topology of the thing I threw together here obviously won't deform well at all.
>>
File: yuruyuri2-wallpaper42.jpg (774 KB, 1920x1080)
774 KB
774 KB JPG
I'm starting with anime modeling.
I've done most of the face, but I can't figure out how to do the hair.
>>
>>600613
Given the use case, I could also just draw an eye on in the texturing stage and leave it at that. Maybe float some geometry where it'd go and make a sheet of pre-drawn eyes to swap out. The model won't spend much time near the camera.
One of my concerns is that I'm probably going to have to increase the polycount to have the "correct" edgeflow for the face and that means I'll have to find a way to terminate all the new edgeloops, since everything below the neck is pretty much exactly how I want it.
>>
File: vray.png (481 KB, 1680x1050)
481 KB
481 KB PNG
Why does my vray looks like this everytime I try to render it?
>>
File: lowpolykobold_4.jpg (98 KB, 844x710)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>600616
I cleaned it up a bit but I will probably just cut it off at the neck and start over.
>>
File: 1510024762592.jpg (41 KB, 470x470)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>600634
better cut yours desu
>>
>>600634
keep it up. reminds me of my first attempt at a character.
>>
>>600634
It looks cute :) Can't wait to see the final result.
>>
still fightin with facial rigging. anyone got a decent example rig for blender?
>>
>>600634
you just need to turn that ngon and triangle on the neck into 2 quads
>>
File: Screen cap.png (35 KB, 1713x357)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
Is there a shortcut for turning vertices in a V shape like the pic into a straight line without removing the middle control point?
>>
>>600660
if it's along one of the axes you can scale to 0. or you can dissolve the vertex and just add it back with subdivide
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3YKuj6qjAM
Look at dis shit you can play with in Maya.
How would you even do this in Blender. a billion shape keys?
>>
>>600660
just snap it to the grid
>>
>>600576
bevel modifier have more options
>>600606
post the uv's
>>600614
youtube have tutorials for that
>>600641
download the movie files from blender cloud, its free for everyone
>>
File: brigs.jpg (132 KB, 719x819)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>600662
That's not fair I'm sure Blender has a TON of good r-
>>
File: shape thing.png (142 KB, 756x940)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
>>600576
Would have been easier make extruding a spline.
Just draw the splines with grid snap, select all points and fillet them.
>>
>>600703
I mean, the judy rig is pretty good, I've been learning picking it apart. But I cant seem to look at the drivers, and I just want more examples anyway, the rig still doesnt compare to malcolm
>>600677
it's a monthly subscription fee
>>
>>600712
https://cloud.blender.org/p/characters/

there you go
>>
File: locked.png (10 KB, 730x282)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>600716
>>
File: member.png (1.42 MB, 2505x1009)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
>>600716
which leads to
>>
How do I set blender to use my GPU for all rendering, including when using cycles render when in object mode?

New to all this, not sure how to ask the question.
>>
>>600729
should be under system in user preferences
>>
>>600730
I currently have the 'Cycles Compute Device' set to CUDA, and when rendering an object through f12, the resource manager shows the load going to the GPU, but when I'm just in object mode messing with material nodes, or moving the view around the object I'm editing, I see the load goes to the CPU. Is there a way to stack it all to the GPU? I'm finding I'm crashing a LOT when I move it around too much.
>>
>>600728
vincent is free
>>600729
save user settings in preferences
>>
>>600730
>>600733
I see what I missed - under the properties>render menu, device was still set to CPU, even though preferences had it set to GPU.
>>
File: 1508778237630.jpg (177 KB, 960x955)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
Blender sculpting novice questions:

1) Sculpting with Vertices and Edges Visible:
Is there a way to view the vertices and edges while sculpting? I've tried going to
Object -> ▼Display -> Draw All Edges
But didn't seem to do the trick for Sculpting mode.

2) Keeping Coordinates for Multiple Vertices in Sculpting Mode:
Is there a way to lock a single axis for a set of vertices?
Example, if I was making a mask using a mirror modifier. Would there be a way to lock the X axis coordinates for the center column of vertices so that they could be moved in Y or Z directions only? Or, is there a more efficient manner utilizing other tools such as Dynamic Typography to mirror changes?
>>
>>600741
>Is there a way to view the vertices and edges while sculpting?
may i ask why?
>Is there a way to lock a single axis for a set of vertices?
just use a constraint
>>
>>600742
oh sorry for your second question you just check "clipping" in the modifier itself
if that doesn't do what you want use a constraint
>>
>>600742
>may i ask why?
Without turning into a blog post: makes more sense in my head? Is this a thought I should disregard and stick with no lines?

>just use a constraint
Ahh, alright. If I am in Edit mode with the specified vertices selected- which constraint option will allow this? I would guess Limit Location with a Min and Max of the desired axis input of 0?
>>
>>600744
also refer to my post here
>>600743

this should fix your middle vertex problem, but not for the opposite side
>>
>>600741
also under display is "wire" which should show your wireframe even while sculpting
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (69 KB, 686x840)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
I don't think what I'm trying to do is too hard here. I'm just trying to draw this stair with normal stringers (a few inches above and below the treads. I'm using Solidworks. How do I trim (what looks like walls) down? It's the curve that's really throwing me off. Thanks.
>>
>>600745
>>600746
Excellent.

And for the Display -> Wire. For whatever reason, this was not showing anything for me. I had to switch to Object mode then back into sculpt mode for the edges and vertices to display. Now I can check, uncheck and see. As to why, no idea.

Just for general reference though for any other projects: is there a way to single-axis-coordinate-lock a designated vertex group? I've been trying to google this with no luck. Not sure what terminology I'm missing.
>>
File: 1508456446378.jpg (92 KB, 750x738)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>600748
In addition to this:
3) Sculpting Grab Brush: Is there a way to set it to pull only 1 or 2 axis at a time?
Example: If I am looking straight eye to eye to a face in the window I am going to edit, would there be a way to grab the nose area and pull it toward me?
>>
>>600748
I dunno about for sculpting, for armatures you can lock transformations rotation and scaling along axes for each bone, and the bone assigned to a vertex group.
>>600749
no because that's edit mode.
>>
File: teeth.jpg (238 KB, 1920x1080)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
This is is Blender. Looking over someone's model I noticed that the teeth were stuck together. How would I go about separating the bottom and top half.
The double cube on the right was just a simplified example I was trying solutions on.
>>
>>600752
you'd have to dissolve the faces and edges where they're attached. then cut across the now solid faces from where the teeth are still separate, delete the resulting middle faces between the cuts, then re-fill the faces.
>>
In blender, is it possible to have a 2d mesh have one texture on one side, and another texture on the other side? I'm a day-one idiot, please be gentle.
>>
>>600752
Select the vertices that you want to split, and rip them (V). Then, refill the faces of the vertices you ripped apart
>>
>>600819
2d mesh like a plane or a cube?
because in both both cases yes you can, only that a plane has 1 side so you will need to extrude the mesh
>>
Can someone direct me to a good series of tutorials or something like that that aims on special effects and texturing?
>>
I'm coming from Blender and moving into Maya. Why is the edit mode so frustrating to work with? There are no shortcuts to simply move a vertex without double clicking on each vertex and it usually just snaps to selecting the entire mesh.

And why does extrude not move with the mouse? This thing is a headache compared to editing and building meshes with Blender.
>>
So I have a basic understanding of topology, and making certain objects. But what would be suggested for me to learn to make things like shoes and boots.

I'm trying to get as much information as possible without giving myself too many bad habits.

>Blender
>>
>>600976
I've just brute forced it until I eventually got it. Google some tutorials on youtube and find/create some reference images and go to town.
>>
How do I fix a tear in my mirrored mesh without removing the multiresolution modifier?
>>
>>600988
Do you still have the mirror modifier on? Is the tear at the edge you mirrored?

If both are yes, just move the vertex closer to the mirrored side until it snaps. If that doesnt work, up the option that checks the distance before snapping.
>>
>>600989
I can't really do that because it turns the multiresolution modifier off when you go into edit mode.
>>
>>600991
I'd have to see pictures to figure out what your mesh is doing, then.

If the mirror is being applied correctly, it should fill any gaps. Maybe you're missing a vertex above or below the hole?
>>
File: Belly of the Beast.png (362 KB, 954x834)
362 KB
362 KB PNG
>>600992
Here's a picture for reference.
>>
>>600993
Wait I figured it out, the merge limit was screwed up.
>>
>>600976
You've already developed the worst possible bad habit: Trying to find shortcuts to learning. Every object is made of smaller shapes, with enough experience you'll learn to recognize and think in shapes and be able to look at reference images and spot the shapes inside the form.

If you don't know how to make a shoe, or a boot, or a gun, or a castle, or anything you want then you haven't done enough tutorials.
Every artist is doing it wrong, every artist has bad habits, every artist is sub-optimal, and as a learner your job is to learn from many different people paying careful attention when someone does something slightly better, and then add that new thing to your "workflow".
>>
>>600913
Blender has really great box modeling tools, nobody disputes that.
Maya does a better job with animation and paid add-ons.
>>
>>600752
If Rip ( shortcut V by default ) doesn't work, which I don't think it will if the verts are connected AND there's a face there as well, you need to use Split (shortcut Y by default).
>>
File: 1481846056259.png (137 KB, 526x436)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
I just graduated High school, and my boss laid me off my part time job which was working at some super market so aka I had to quit.

Should I pursue a 3DCG animation job?
3DCG was my only hobby that I did after school, I started around 3 years ago. I wasn't in any clubs on it (because there were none), basically after doing all of my home work, I would read up tutorials or model etc if I had time. And i enjoy animation too, but I haven't really looked in-depth with it before because I was focused on getting gud.

I ask this because I'm worried if I'm more of a 'fan' than a 'creator' of 3DCG. There was an article that spooked me which was that Nintendo doesn't hire fans of games, and I was wondering if that was the same with 3DCG. All i know in myself is that I enjoy the process of creating 3DCG, there's stuff I find tedious at times but I'm still willing to go through that hurdle if it means creating the result I want.
>>
>>601023
Nintendo has a pretty shitty reputation when it comes to dealing with fans directly, just look at their YouTube policy of taking down most videos of their games. Various notable gaming figures made videos about this topic bashing them. Not even going to get into the speed at which they send cease and desist letters to anyone making something even vaguely similar to a fan remake of a game. What I'm saying is, don't pay it any attention, Nintendo is special in that they exist in a sealed bubble and expect people to like the stuff they release without any regard for feedback.

As for the main topic, I'm also more of a fan than an outright creator, and what I do is mainly for myself and to get better at it, rather than as a career path. I think that if you get confident enough in your own skills to see a project through, you might get hired freelance for odd jobs regardless of what your qualifications are, there will always be some indi studio or whatnot in need of getting work done, especially with the current boom of 3D content everywhere you look.
>>
>>601023
>Should I pursue a 3DCG animation job?
absolutely not
the entertainment industry is dying
>>
>>601053
Good read of the situation, put a trip on so I can know to disregard absolutely everything you say.
>>
>>601054
3dcg is not your typical 9-5 job, your employment contract starts and ends at a certain point. similar to what a freelancer does, but with worse conditions and outcome.
aside from my own experience iv talked to several programmers and modelers and they usually say "its always up to you" or "follow your passion" just to avoid the discussion about the state of the industry.
obviously you would have guys that are set that have decades of experience but don't use them for your point of comparison, compare yourself to other people in your situation
>>
>>600998
I have already made things in shapes and simple pieces. However I'm always told I've done it wrong and its horrible or shit like that. So I try and ask for help. And I get this same message everytime. "look at different people" well if they are always wrong and I'm always wrong fuck this stupid hobby.
>>
>>600909
for what program and style?
>>
>>600999
I'm not even box modeling at this point. I'm trying to poly model by starting with an edge and extruding as I go. This shit is just infuriating in Maya. Is there a professional software that does this easier?
>>
>>601088

How is it infuriating? You can just press shift and drag on edges to extrude them, and you can change the locator to screen space like max if you want. 2018 version
>>
File: wtfisgoingon.png (124 KB, 1920x1038)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
Anyone here use 3DS Max?

I'm trying to model a male figure and every time I go to move a new plane and edit it, the viewport goes completely blank. The reference images are working just fine, but creating new geometry does pic related after I try to move it.

My drivers are updated and I'm using the current version of 3DS Max.

No amount of googling has saved me.
>>
File: 3edncyi.gif (1.39 MB, 480x480)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB GIF
How do I fix my mistake of putting the multi res modifier before the mirror modifier?
The error message is "cannot move above a modifier requiring original data."
I'm using blender btw.
>>
>>601107
we're gonna need a pic of your setup to know what's wrong. the mirror modifier should work fine even if it comes after the multi-res. you should be able to just finish scuplting, go back to object mode to apply the modifiers, and then cleanup the seam in the center.

if, for whatever reason, the mirror modifier isn't working; then you could remove the mirror modifier, finish scuplting, apply the multi-res, enable dyntopo, and then use dyntopo's symmetrize button.
the way it works is you set the direction (+/- x/y/z to -/+ x/y/z) and then press symmetrize. all you have to do is then clean-up the seam in the middle.
>>
File: Head.png (541 KB, 1364x1074)
541 KB
541 KB PNG
>>601108
Here's a pic of my modifiers and the model itself for reference.
>>
>>601109
in order to re-arrange the modifiers, you're going to have to start committing the sculpting you've done then adding the modifiers again. there's no way to move them now without applying them. your only other option is to continue sculpting like this then follow my advice in >>601108

the reason you can't re-arrange them is because the multi-res takes input (your model) and then increases the geometry count while storing the changes you make relative to that input. to put the mirror modifier before the multi-res would cause the input to change (from half of a model to a complete, symmetrical model) breaking the modifications stored in the multi-res since they reference a different set of data.
>>
>>601056
I know it's shit but I'm not good at anything else. Also I was absolutely miserable in my part time- at least with 3d animation there's something I like no matter how shitty the work is.

>>601027
phew, that's good to know.

Also another question. How many years should I spend getting gud?
I'm beginner tier right now.
>>
>>601179
animation is something else, you can get gud with animation and within 2 years time get a job (approx.)
>>
File: send help.png (3 KB, 817x22)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
Why is this happening? I'm toying with nparticles and fluids and these errors or warnings I don't know keep popping up.
>>
holy shit I cant find any search results on moving from blender to maya. if you have maya and blender in the same search, you're gonna get "transitioning from maya to blender."

anyone got some reference material, what hot keys I can change. I dont even know what maya calls orbiting the camera.
>>
>>601258
they call it tumble. and you cant edit it.
god Im ready for blender to become the standard.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOlWJ2GbERE

Do you thing they used motion capture for Peeping Life?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.