[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 67 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: Capture.jpg (97 KB, 1055x722)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
Brand new results by Nvidia were released today - ai has simply passed us, as humans. We are DONE. 18 days to make each image, but the realism is something we would never achieve by ourselves sculpting in zbrush and painting in mari after 18. It would never happen for us.

What should we all collectively do? I'm scared of losing my house and not being able to care for my wife and two 2.5 kids.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (147 KB, 875x858)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>599271
>>
File: miku_boots_material.png (373 KB, 1200x900)
373 KB
373 KB PNG
>>599271
>literally slaving yourself to be a copy machine when computers can be better copy machines than human
lmao at you faggot.

maybe you should learn to do stuff that needs creativity and soul, not being another poor human xerox.
>>
>>599276
>muh animu
>implying this isnt the easiest to replace with ai
>>
this is a 2d random face generator, how does this exactly threatens the work of 3d artists ?
>>
>>599281
it paints textures, just as you do. It reprojects and analyzes faces onto gpu readable shaders. They even say in the article that nvidia is about to enter the next phase and use it for 3d object creation for games
>>
But this can only reproduce photorealistic stuff, right? What about artist's creativity and stylized 3D? I'm not saying animu, it can be even something like Uncharted, which is still realistic, but has a human touch on everything, so still somewhat stylized as well. I mean, eh, if you're just a human reproduction machine and your work does not need you to generate original ideas that will only ever be unique to you, then what did you expect? I don't know if that can even be called an art anyway, so I won't mind if AI replaces people like those.
>>
>>599285
>But this can only reproduce photorealistic stuff, right?
it plays a guessing game with itself based on user defined parameters

>What about artist's creativity and stylized 3D?
you are literally looking at the next generation of computer graphics. This is BLEEDING EDGE stuff

>e Uncharted, which is still realistic, but has a human touch on everything, so still somewhat stylized as well.
uncharted looks horrible and the "stylized" physics are even worse
>>
Test
>>
>muh photorealism
kek

literally obsolete since the invention of cameras.
lmao
>>
>>599291
i get where you're coming from but you are really looking at the next step of procedural asset creation. Its like substance procedural assets, but to the next level. As gpus get faster and faster as time goes on, the speed of generation will also go up. This is extraordinary
>>
>>599287
>uncharted looks horrible
wat
>>
>>599298
Are you this naive?
>>
>>599299
Naive because I (and millions of other people) think it looks fucking great? Tell me, what is so horrible about it? Do you like stylized graphics at all or should I disregard your opinion? What, now you're gonna say every game looks like shit because it is not photorealistic?
>>
>>599296
What does that "next step" have to do with anything being said? Guy asked about a stylized graphics, not everything has to be photorealistic. And I agree, there is no soul in photogrammetry already, and there won't be when this shows up. It just recreates real world and nothing else. That will get boring sooner or later.
>>
>>599282
>reproducing a photo
>painting textures
pick one and go learn something m8
>>
File: abxG.jpg (96 KB, 700x928)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>599287
>>599298
>>599299
>>599300
as far as videogames go, anyone saying Uncharted looks horrible is just a faggy edgelord
>>
File: 1509533929760.jpg (331 KB, 936x1436)
331 KB
331 KB JPG
>>599301
mandatory
>>
>>599308
thank you anon
>>
>>599308
whoever made that should neck themselves.

Nvidia is changing the game, once again...fuck...
>>
>>599308
Great pic, I agree 100%.
>>599310
Again, you just keep repeating how it is a game changer, ignoring everything said ITT. You, or whoever else said Uncharted looks bady still didn't answer why he thinks like that.

Let me be an asshole for a moment and make some assumptions.

You're not a real artist. You're obsessed with photorealism and are using your technical skills to hide your lack of creativity. Your work is probably good looking but boring and meaningless.

Now, there's a reason why great technical achievements, games like Horizon and Naughty Dog, chose to go in that visual direction. There's a reason why their artists do everything by hand, to the point of placing individual hairs on a character's head! There's a reason why Horizon ignored some realism in nature in order to produce the most ideally illuminated scenery every moment of the game. And people notice that, and that's why they are on the top. Photorealism is great and interesting to look at while it is new, but eventually it will get boring because everything will look the same. Just like with hyperrealistic paintings, I admire the technical knowledge of the artists, but in the end of the day, every single one of those pictures is forgettable because they didn't provide any new look at the world.
>>
>>599311
Horizon and Uncharted* duh
>>
>>599311
>defending uncharted graphics
>defending uncharted physics
>playing 30fps max 720p games

...baka desu
>>
>>599313
i'll play a great 30fps/720p game before any 4k call of duty shit anyway, cause it's irrelevant

its like saying Transformers is better than Godfather because it has cool special effects

sincerely, fuck you kid
>>
>>599314
I just bought Transformers The Last Knight in 3D as its the only big budget movie made in true 3D in 2017. It looks amazing - I love michael bay
>>
File: 1456109054979.jpg (15 KB, 553x351)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>599317
either this is a huge b8, or you just outed yourself as a tasteless moron..

..and I don't care which it is
>>
>>599322
how is this relevant?
>>
>>599322
I think he was trolling us the whole time.
>>
>>599271
dude on the left is real.
that's an easy one.
>>
>>599337
they are both fake. Have you even read the article?
>>
>>muh art is better than this realism
You all don't get what all this technology is all about. It's intended to create fast, yet good results without putting in huge amounts of human work. These early examples show realistic synthesis of human pictures, but obviously, thats just a single way to show capabilities - in no way this is expected to stop there. Large part of need for 3D people will be completely eliminated as concept artists will be able to get final quality results, straight up ready to be used in final production.
>>
>>599357
this anon gets it. This isn't some unknown guy from russia showing some questionable results. This is cutting edge tech from NVIDIA...
>>
>>599313
Go the fuck back to /v/ faggot, this is a board for 3dcg discussion not how poorly game consoles perform. The fact is that uncharted has some top shelf real-time 3dcg examples and you did jack shit to refute that.
>>
>>599362
uncharted looks like shit and the physics are something worse than shit. If you want to whine about it, i dunno what to tell you?
>>
>>599271
the role of artists is going to become more creative and less technical, but expertise in manipulating these systems will always be a required skill for entry.
>>
>>599271

3d, as everithing in life is make decisions. You will have to take the decisions, and the machine just the repetitive work.
>>
>>599271
btw that are just photos, no 3d. Nice neural network to photoshop faces
>>
>>599380
thats not how it works.
>>
File: 1ka82g.jpg (61 KB, 650x738)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>599300

>millions of other people think

billions of flies eat shit. do you also eat shit?
>>
Software has already greatly increased the speed and ease of making shit. Substance painter is practically magic compared to the old days of texture painting in photoshop.

Obviously whatever OP is talking about is some tech demo garbage that will never make it into wide spread use (if it even has a use outside of its tightly controlled testbed settings).
>>
>>599386
You still didn't say why you think Uncharted looks like shit, nor you provided a few examples of a better looking game. Repeating how the other person is stupid and wrong is not exactly an argument, my dudes.
>>
>>599402
Get out.

Uncharted is ugly as sin.

The best looking is probably star wars battlefront 2 or Wolfenstein the new collossus, each of which is light years ahead of uncharted. If you can't notice this you might as well scoop your eyes out and learn brail
>>
>>599422
Yeeeah, that isn't an explanation. You probably just don't like the style of it, given by the games you mentioned. Continue with the insults since you don't have any arguments, kid. I won't mind.
>>
>>599447
weeb culture was a mistake
>>
>>599338
>read the article
who the fuck reads articles?
grow up, kid.
>>
>>599337
You can tell the one on the left is fake because his chin stache is blurry, and his right ear is folded beyond belief.
You can tell the woman is fake because her bangs are a rats nest. Dreadlock-tier, which appears unnatural when the rest of her hair is otherwise clean and wavy.
She also has a huge trapezius muscle on only the left side.
>>
>>599271
>GANshit
>having anything to do with /3/
Go peddle your doom and gloom somewhere else kid
>>
>>599518
>this desperate for (((you)))
>>
These are just pictures of celebs I dont know what the big deal is
>>
>>599533
Given an input (celeb photos) nvidias team came up with textures (final image) that are fully procedural, unique, and surpass the work of anyone in the industry. They directly say that they are working to put this into games and movies
>>
>>599282

brb, going to quit my job and announce to my boss that a nvidia GPU can do a tiny fraction of my overall job as a texture artist, 100x slower than I can do it.
>>
We're not finished yet, but certainly, within our lifetimes, 3DCG will be a case of telling an AI what you want it to make for you.
>>
>>599554
Why does it happen to 3D first? :((( Why hasn't AI already overtaken web design, music production or digital painting? Those should be even easier, especially web design which is almost a joke at this point.
>>
>>599553
it can do a better job than you, it can do more than just faces, and it learns more and gets faster every single day.

You need to choose a new career.
>>
Don't worry. As the tech industry pushes for diversity and inclusion, this technology will go down the shitter.
>>
>>599276
that's a really gross looking Miku, there are too many 3d modelers with the autistic fixation of trying to de-cartoon cartoons with realism.
>>
File: herpderp.jpg (68 KB, 621x480)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>599727
Don't blame non-japanese for their inability to fully grasp the essence of what makes up Animu esthetics. It's like the best weeb artists go all up to 90%, but fuck up horribly on the last 10%.
>>
>>599560
Its a side product of facial recognition and that is driven by the surveillance and espionage industry.
Since a lot of governments and big companies have strong Orwellian tendencies, you can imagine that they push a lot of money into this.
>>
>>599310
Movve aside old man. Nvidia could direct any of your movies a 100x better
>>
>>599742
i dont doubt that
>>
>>599538
Pixels are a lot easier than polygons. Unless you see a fully game ready rigged lowpoly character that has all its textures I wouldnt be worried
>>
>>599780
its already way past worrying point. You should be in full fledged panic mode desu
>>
>>599308
you can't go to space and if you go to war you'll probably die. why shouldn't those two things be simulated realistically?
>>
>>599271
24 years of making money with CGI was enough for me. I'm a painter & sculptor now.
>>
>>599308
> t. fat baldy who hates reality due to being a fat baldy
>>
>>600653
Define FAT
>>
Well I'd be worried about everyone's jobs not just for the 3D world. This is just a showcase for the AI which has more implications than producing realistic visuals. I predict that a lot of stock traders would (and should) lose their jobs once AI takes over. It's already happening and I'm surprised it hasn't eclipsed the entire field yet because a lot of traders are actually bad at making consistent and good returns.
>>
>>600679
con't

This is probably why I should have just majored in stuff related to software and computer engineering. There's still a lot of money to be made in the field and I regret not taking that chance.
>>
>>599482
Accept your mistake and move on man. Don't be bitter about this.
>>
is it even PBR?
>>
>>600701
It's a level above PBR
>>
>>599498
If they're both fake then it's a fakeout, by asking you to pick a real one they're not convincing you that the guy on the left is real with the picture, they're conditioning you to pick the least fake looking one. Doesn't really prove that you can't tell the image is fake, but it makes dumb people go "Whoah dude, MiNdFuCk!!".
The guy on the left's eyes and ears aren't lined up and if I didn't think one of them was supposed to be real I wouldn't have shrugged it off when I saw how obvious the hair on the right image was. Both could fool me at a glance, though.
>>
>>599282
Cool, I'll learn to use it and it'll make my job easier.
>>
>>599271
https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/27-1014-multimedia-artists-and-animators
>>
I used to believe there was more intelligent people on 4chan than other forums/websites (i.e reddit hehexd) but you´re all fucking retarded if you think AI´s will ever take over the 3D industry. Like not just a little retarded, but FUCKING retarded.
>>
>>600680
teach yourself
>>
>>600706
You know that chart is just a like, right kid?
>>
If capitalism really hits the dystopian stage where art starts getting automated I'll just neck anyway because that's not a world I want to live in. Hopefully the nukes start flying before then.
>>
>>600714
You are weak
>>
>>600715
On the contrary, I'd rather be bashing people's brains out with a rock over limited basic necessities post-armageddon than live in a boring tech bro hellscape where I'm otherwise comfortable but work whatever dull job still exists at that point and profit-motivated society has gotten to the point where all art and entertainment is made by procedural generation. Profitability driven automation of content got us Finger Family videos so I don't imagine it'll be very good.
>>
>>600717
go ahead and kys then
>>
>>600721
nah dude I've already got my big rock ready to go, I'm riding this one out
>>
>>600717
>>600722
Amen brother.
>>
>>600722
>>600724
somethings going to go wrong with AI, it will become uncontrollable (?) and we'll start having weird shit happen. War will be everywhere. the US will be no more. Everything will be all over.

Those new Quantum chips Nvidia rolled out at CES today is probably the end of all civilization haha
>>
>>599271
I'm a computer scientist writing neural networks for a living. Suck my dick ````artists'''', choke on it.
>>
>>600726
>t. Anon "empty neuron"

suck my even bigger dick
t. Anon "infinite neuron"
>>
The first applications of this to 3D will be to remove all entry jobs position centered around being the idiot who models and textures rocks, crates, barrels, shrubs, and other types or shitty but necessary props
this will allow studios, both games and movies, to lower their budget since monkeys, either nationals or outsourced, are no longer needed to finish a project on schedule
there might be a time where an AI is capable of coming up with its own story and vision and be successful, but for many decades experienced industry veterans will still be needed to define the project and its aesthetics and to produce the initial seed from which it will grow. the machine will just do menial tasks such as creating thousands of CG extras for crowds and place rocks and shrubs in a non-Bethesda way (so, competently)
of course, this will be a bitch for most of us because let's face it, most of us here are not very good, if it's already hard to get into the industry, in the future there will be even less demand for "decent or OK" artists and only the best are going to nab and keep jobs
this will also apply to all other professions, not just /3/ related ones
>>
>>600781
>there might be a time where an AI is capable of coming up with its own story and vision and be successful
Lets say that this becomes true. As humans, are we still able to compete?
>>
>>600784
maybe not, so assuming those machines are not sentient but just very sophisticated our lives would depend on the charity of 1% elite who owned the automated means of production
>>
>>600786
So there is still hope haha
>>
>>600781
I bet you can't even do a decent rock sculpt or a hand-made tree. It's not as easy as you are saying.
>>
>>600788
quantum computing ai solves all that
>>
>>600789
quantum computing ai solves everything, so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>599271
What is it with 3D artists who think that technology like photogrammetry and AI could "help their workflow" and "solve the problems"? What do you have to solve? Are you engineers or artists? And what is it with people who are obsessed with photorealism and think that is the "only right way to go"? That's like saying that photorealistic illustrations are the only real art. "Oh, a computer could just generate those rocks for you", "oh, why do you hand-paint your foliage, are you stupid? Just use scanned textures, dude". I don't get it, do you understand what I'm saying? Where is the sense of human creativity in all of that? Where is the soul?
>>
>>600794
At the end of a fortnight worth of procedurally constructing PBR sci-fi base textures I get a nice, crisp paycheck, roll a franklin and suck my soul up off a glass table.
>>
>>600797
Really though, just because you're not placing every stroke doesn't mean you're not retaining control over the thing you're making. Until AI can construct something out of a phrase that fits perfectly into whatever environment the asset is meant for the toolkit is always going to give the artist the most input, even if it simplifies the process. As a 3D artist you're a designer, in charge of designing things, not an impressionist painter that puts meaning behind every brush stroke. Mostly because if you hand painted every bit of a decently sized, detailed 3D environment it'd take 300x as long as painting a single pretty picture. The medium is unfit for it, which is precisely why purist hand-painting with no shortcuts is typically confined to lower fidelity, less complex forms and automation inevitably becomes more involved the more complex it gets.
People who are like "Oh automation will kill our jobs and besides, where's the soul??" don't get just how much manpower it takes to complete every bit of a game or 3D/highly CG movie, so, to dispel any fears:
It's enough that automation won't force out all entry level grunt workers any time soon.
It's enough that nobody will notice or care, and your "artistic vision" won't suffer, if you take a shortcut.
>>
>>600790
There will still be competition, thats what the ai learns from
>>
>>599730
Please tell me that’s shopped.
>>
>https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/15-1131-computer-programmers
Hah! Someone doesn't know about Rice's Theorem. This site is pretty fallacious.
>>
>>599274
from demi lovato to selena gomez yo an asian lady
>>
>>601566
flawed theory
>>
>>599271
These are just photographic composites generated by AI. It has nothing to do with 3d animation or image which can be used or manipulated. It doesn't move, it doesn't do the things you tell it to do. You are now showing your powerlevel and it's very, very low indeed. Sad.
>>
>>601695
just wait until they start moving
>>
File: 1514932979612.gif (886 KB, 294x233)
886 KB
886 KB GIF
>>601708
>just wait until X
>it's cool but has no use
>just wait until Y
>it's cool but has no use
>just wait until Z
>yeah dude it's totally cool, but for what purpose?
i love neural memes
>>
>>601741
>for what purpose?
to give the consumer more choice and freedom over what they want to watch / experience. It's a win-win, except for the retarded newfags on /3/ who can't adapt
>>
>>601819
What exactly will 3D jobs look like if/when AI gets to that level? I can only imagine the concept artist positions remain. So, will 3D artists actually even be able to adapt in the first place, or will they all just be wiped out?
>>
>>601820
There will probably be a movie about that conflict, but it will be made by Disney and released as Toy Story V
>>
That's a realistic image but it's not an art directed image.
If you want realism without art direction just scan something.
>>
>>601695

How much has changed in just 10 days.
>>
>>603336
W-what?
>>
>>599310
>Nvidia is changing the game, once again...fuck...

Judging from absolutely, positively, every single fucking breakthrough nVidia has EVER FUCKING MADE EVER, this is going to make my job harder, more demanding, and to meet deadlines, require a whole fucking new art department, thus making my job more secure than before not less. That has happened every time, every god damned motherfucking time, and this is going to be no different.
>>
>>600680
AI will eventually automate software development too. They've already abstracted languages making them simpler to use and there are many WYSIWIG tools to create programs/games as well. Also there's a large influx of people thinking exactly as you do, so jobs increasingly become scarcer and more competitive.
>>
>>603358
Examples?
>>
>>603358
>nVidia has EVER FUCKING MADE EVER
Like what?
Nvidia is a gpu chip manufacturer , while they did make some nice stuff like post processing aa, a half competent tessellation method or a nicer screen space ao solution they were not involved in biggest graphical breakthroughs.
Stuff like GI normal maps, dmaps, subdivs, deferred rendering pbr rendering and shading predate even the existence of nvidia as a brand and reach tisplacemnts he first days of 3d graphics.
Only it took decades for most of those solution to be able to be implemented due to technical limitations.
>>
>>606333
Nvidia invented ai denoising which is orders of magnitude better than blender "solution"
>>
AI is going to put this generation of bad, demoralized, zero creativity, reality imitators who call themselves "artists" out of business. The sooner it happens the better.
>>
>>606366
it will never happen because of the media being what it is
>>
>>606338
>Nvidia invented ai denoising which is orders of magnitude better than blender "solution"
Ok, gotta say im impressed with the denoising algorithms i see popping up recently, but still its a future tech, it will be great for real time path and ray tarcing methods, in itself its not really revolutionary or new.
>>
>>606432
the future is now old man
>>
>>606432
It is not future tech, it's in Renderman and was used extensively on Finding Dory.
>>
>>600794
The demand for photorealism comes from visual effects which must mesh perfectly with images filmed using a camera. As long as film/tv exists, so will the demand for photorealism.
>>
>>599308
>Why is it that when technique is primitive, everything is beautiful, and when technique is perfected, almost everything is ugly
Spoken like a true jew. Meanwhile, blobs of sprayed colors and huge wooden dildos are sold for 200k dollars to launder drug money.
>>
>>606838
>>606433
I meant real time.
There is no point of using inaccurate "guessing software" for offline rendering unless in production you are in a rush to finish. It sure is good for quick preview windows, but for a final render? Why settle for a blurry mess.
Just like temporal aliasing it will work wonders for games once ray tracing first starts being used, but its not magic, it wont pull pixel information out of its ass.
>>
>>606914
I think somebody is cranky cause he got left behind in the conversation.
>>
>>599498
I can almost see the quads in that girl's cheek and hear Andrew's stupid jokes while he puts a lot of lamps around her, check out the neck shade, it looks fake as fuck.
>>
I can't wait for Mass Effect Andromeda 2 using even more procedural workarounds
>>
>>599289
failed
>>
This shit happens every month or so. Wake me up when I can generate a perfectly balanced stylized/realistic, fully rigged character that can be modified on the fly and run on a GTX 1060. Until then, fuck off.
>>
>>614894
what are your specs?
>>
>>614894
u dont have a gtx 1060, do you?
>>
>>599271
how often will you make this retarded thread, fuckhed? you can't even tell 2D image manipulation from 3d modeling.
kys retard
>>
>>614908
>01/03/18

whew lad
>>
>>599560
There is AI that can compose orchestras. It's pretty generic though.
>>
>>599271
It's not very impressive. The images are just close ups with blur in the back. Just analyze the the shadings, the cascade effect on the skin, the hair, the brightness and in relation to the forhead, cheeks, etc.; analize the facial features of a bunch of images and make a big list of the proportions of the eyes in relation to the nose, etc. (all combinations). I kean you can even tell the image needs deeper learning as thebfaces look literally dead, like some Android frm Alien.

I've seen more impressive software doing this with video and rendering real time heads with rotation.
>>
>>599308
Old man is 100% correct but there is this thing called fantasy which doesn't exist in real world and that's the whole point of 3D.
>>
>>614961
you have a different taste, thats fine. Some like the android look
>>
>>614961
You know one of those two is an actual person, right?
>>
I wouldn't be too worried. Software can't make creative decisions or interpret complex human situations before we hit the technological singularity.
>>
>>599276
>you need soul!
>posts souless demon-hell baby

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.