[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 20 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~48 hours. Apply here.

File: 430.png (189 KB, 556x556)
189 KB
189 KB PNG
Is a college education absolutely necessary to get into the industry?
Any success stories about someone who didn't go?
>>
I would rather commit suicide than go into this industry as more than a hobby
>>
>>599320
>Is a college education absolutely necessary to get into the industry?

Nah. What you need are contacts and a good portfolio. Education can be a means to that end, but it's only on path of many.
>>
>>599320
No. Take that 50 grand and spend it on books. Then devote all your time to learning your craft, talking with people on industry forums, comparing your work with professional demo reels, and going to industry events and film festivals.
Don't pay for the software if possible. Get the student version or just pirate it. You can pay for it after you get a job in the industry.
>>
>>599320
It helps, but in the end a great portfolio matters way more
>>
>>599320
>Is a college education absolutely necessary
never.
unless you want to be a doctor, lawyer, or scientist.
all other fields of work in all industries you can legit just work your way into.
>>
>>599320
Limmy?
>>
>>599320

As someone with a 50K debt from Van Art, the best school for game art. I wish I just did online course from Dylan Ekren and Shane Olson.

Learned more from with 1K class than my education itself at Van Arts.

Its a scam.
>>
>>599343
How is it considered the best school if you don't learn anything there?
>>
>>599343
I'm now looking at their programs, and they're only 12 months long? Wtf can you learn from that? And 50k for it?
>>
>>599346
because schools spend too much time on theory learning, same applies to other professions
>>
>>599369
if you dont have the theory you just end up making at most 200k a year, never even a millionare.
>>
The only schools worth going to are Gnomon, Full Sail, and Digipen (if gamedev is what you want to do) and the only reason those are worth it is because they have connections to people in the industry, and you'll be making friends with students and teachers (you MUST make friends, you MUST be a nice person, you MUST not be an asshole) that can get you into the biz.
>>
File: youfaggot.jpg (21 KB, 852x480)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>599392
Proof that gamedevs are dickless cocksuckers. I'd rather make 150k as real estate broker than get on my knees and suck dick like you submissive faggots do. Have fun living on bread crumbs.
>>
Did a paid online mentorship through a course provider and studied up a lot from other sources (tutorials, master classes, example files). Did it full time, sometimes like 80 hours a week just churning stuff out.

Landed an FX job within 7 months at a fantastic, top tier studio. No way would I ever do a degree with the intent of learning this stuff, I'd much rather do comp sci or something math related if I had to go back to uni. It would help me way more.
>>
>>599399
Which course provider?
>>
>>599326
>You can pay for it after you get a job in the industry.

Kek
>>
I went to a "reputed" 3D school (NAD in Montreal). I find it didn't really work, for two main reasons:

1. You're on your own. Lots of teachers either teach fulltime, or teach because they couldn't make it in the industry. Neither of those types of people are knowledgeable about up-to-date practices and workflows.

2. A general 3D curriculum will be too broad to cover anything but the basics. Unlike in 2D, 3D "fundamentals" can be a lot of things. Modeling, texturing, rigging, animation, game art, film art, character sculpting, etc. Getting to a professional level in 3D requires you to specialize in one of those things, which 80-95% of your classes will be irrelevant for.

I'm not sure if Gnomon or Full Sail are better (they seem to have decent teachers), but for me going to college to learn CG was a complete waste of time. I did fine learning online and getting help from wonderful communities such as /3/.
>>
>>599677
CG Spectrum. The structured course and access to a mentor was quite valuable for me coming to Houdini.
>>
>>599320
No, just put together a small portfolio and then call lots of companies and tell them you want to work for free. Don't bother big established companies, just go for relatively small ones that are likely to appreciate the extra labor.

It will be cheaper than education and you'll pick up more valuable experience than you would doing education.

Just do it for 6 months and then look for a paid job in the industry
>>
>>599866
Wat?

No reputable studio, even indie, will hire someone with no experience, for no pay, and provide them with a decent formation.

Just think about it. If they can't be arsed to pay you, will they be arsed to teach you?
>>
>>599894

That's where you're wrong. It's called internship and I'm starting mine in 2 months.

I have a little experience in everything, but nowehere near professional in any area, except maybe video editing.

I applied at 12 small to big studios with a pretty small portfolio consisting of Blender, Houdini and After Effects stuff and got accepted at one. I'm getting a 6 week introduction and training and then work on clients.

I'll get a measly 300€ a month (until i can work on clients and prove myself) but honestly I'd pay for being there.

It's a medium sized studio with ~90 in house people in Germany.
>>
>>599894
>Literally never heard of internship
Not going to make it.
>>
>>599320
>to get into the industry?
oh gee, it's this thread again. now we need another software thread.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.