[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 21 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 36563535635.jpg (171 KB, 656x518)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
Please enlighten me on the optimal asset creation pipeline. Which apps do I need to:
Model, Sculpt, Texture, Rig
And which apps work best together (same shortcuts etc.)?
>pic somewhat unrelated, just couldn't find any fitting image
>>
>Model
Blender, 3ds Max, Maya, Houdini

>Sculpt
ZBrush, 3D-Coat, Mudbox

>Texture
Substance Painter, Mari

>Rig
Houdini, Maya, Blender

>which apps work best together (same shortcuts etc.)?
They are work in their own ways.

What matter more is what you intend to accomplish, how different tools serve your goals, and how well they work together in pursuit of those goals. In other words, you'll only get your answer after you've been experimenting a bit with them.
>>
>>632485
*They all work in their own ways.
>>
ONLY use industry standard software!
My fellow based industry standard software brothers on this board can confirm - It's the way content is meant to be created!™
Admit it - You don't want to be a Blendlet!
Be based!
>>
>>632483
From my personal experience:
model,sculpt, texture: Zbrush
Rig, animate: 3DS MAX
Aditional Texture manipulation: Photoshop
That´s it. Don´t fall for the Substance painter meme.
>>
>>632502
Falseflagging Blendlet spotted.
>>
>>632503
>Don´t fall for the Substance painter meme.
?
Gonna need some elaboration on that fampai.
>>
>use blender
>have a database of 100000 shortcuts
>>
>>632509
>and an empty bank account
>>
>>632512
"Max ,Maya ,Cinema4d, Blender or any other 3d packages are the same they are just tools and the main factor is the artistic and the creative side of the user "

quote from youtube comments.
>bro it's all the same man, no differences. it's all the same objectively and blender is free bro.
>>
>>632514
>t. never used anything besides Blender
>>
>>632504
>implying you can be productive with Blender
>>
>>632517
>not utilizing the best donut production pipeline out there
>>
>>632503
>Don´t fall for the Substance painter meme.

That's the dumbest thing I've read on this board in a long time.
>>
>>632517
>implying teaching normal people how to become Blendlets isn't profitable enough
>>
I use Softimage for hardsurface and rigging, Zbrush for sculpt and substance designer/painter for textures. I'd replace Softimage with Maya or Max if you want shittier software that is still alive however.
>>
>>632503
The last sentence proves that nobody should listen to this guy.
>>
>>632485
This and ignore every other comment ITT.
>>
>>632485
>Substance Painter, Mari
Are there any free alternatives to these?
>>
File: 65464343546.jpg (83 KB, 325x332)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>632503
>Modeling and texturing in Zbrush only
>Not rigging/animating in Maya
>Don´t fall for the Substance painter meme

Your personal experience is VERY dubious
>>
>>632614
No
>>
File: tenor.gif (544 KB, 220x187)
544 KB
544 KB GIF
>>632614
B-Blender... with GIMP?
>>
>>632614
Not really. You can try using Blender's projection painting tools, or even their procedurals to attempt a Substance Designer-esque material, but don't get your hopes up too high. My best suggestion is after handpainting in Blender, export to a free program like Krita or GIMP, detail it there, then use the procedurals to create microdetails. Of course, I highly doubt the quality would match professionally tuned software like SP or Mari, but it's your best bet.
>>
>>632614
Sculptris is free, has uv unwrapping and texture painting.
>>632627
I laughed so much, it hurts.
>>
>>632614
yes, not paying for them, do you see what I'm saying?
>>
Mari or Substance for game stuff? I would go with Substance, but from my experience with it it has issues with seams, which is really fucking annoying as this kind of program is supposed to make them a non-issue.
>>
>>632672
FFS not this argument again, it is a non-issue.
If you've got seams on your model you're doing something wrong.
I'll never get seams on my model.
>>
i only know how to unwrap and export uv layouts using blender and then i kind of halfass the texture using an image editor but not being able to see it on the model always kills me and is too hard if it's not built of rectangles. is this when surfacepainter makes sense to use?
>>
>>632853
>halfass the texture using an image editor
Good fucking god, this is an ancient workflow, no wonder it kills you.
And let me guess, the end result looks like shit, right?
>>
>>632855
yeah if it's not a simple model it's too hard for me to deform texture onto stuff and looks shitty. as hobby i'm okay with it looking bad but god damn it takes too long
>>
>>632853
>>632856
Dude, you know Blender has a projection painting function, right? Switch to Texture Paint and knock yourself out.
>>
>>632483
i spent a little over a year in a small game studio once.

our pipeline was basically zbrush for sculpt and model-->maya/max(user preference, some guys used one, other guys sused the other, one guy used blender) for retopo and additional modeling, also some guys used marvelous designer somewhere in between zbrush and maya, also UV's in either maya/max, or i had a license of topogun--> texturing in substance, sometimes photoshop if it was a quick tile-able we already had a texture for--> rigging always in maya, animation always in maya (though i personally prefer max, max has a much easier to use key editor for me), --> then from maya to unreal.

maya and zbrush have a nice bridge that makes hot swapping between the 2 pretty painless. substance also has a plug-in for unreal engine that's just fantastic.

so i would say
model and sculpt: maya/max, zbrush
texture: substance (some studios also still use 3d coat or quixel, but substance is quickly becoming the standard)
rig and animation: maya/max, and i'd lean heavily towards maya here.

from what i've gathered, maya is way more prominent in gaming than max now, whereas max is more prominent in arch-viz and automotive rendering. though if you want to see some good examples of a max workflow, google the stuff that guy did on the EVOLVE game, he did some nice breakdowns of his monster rigs and their pipeline for that
>>
>>632857
i don't actually know how to model in blender, i just use it for decimating, remeshing, marking seams/unwrapping/exporting uv layout, and converting between different formats. the texture painting i've tried was wonky some angles it works alright but soe parts of some faces don't even get painted. i'll try and find some videos for help
>>
>>632509
There's only about 5000 operators/functions
>>
>>632959
Don't be silly, Blender doesn't have that many functions. There's only so many parameters that go into describing the making of a donut. Less than ten hours is all you need to learn them, as proved by BlenderGuru's advanced course on Blender modeling.
>>
>>632961
press space and type "operator cheat sheet"
>>
>>632614
There's a plugin you can use with Photoshop. I think it's called Coco or something like that, but it's pretty slow and you have to preview your maps in the engine or 3D app to know what you're doing.
>>
>>632483
If you're indiegame deving, Blender covers most of the essentials just fine, especially with addons.

The thing Blender is shit at is texturing, so you want to work with a software like Photoshop, Substance or 3DCoat for that.
>>
>>632627
fucking lmao

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.