[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: lelouch.png (238 KB, 640x448)
238 KB
238 KB PNG
Is Lelouch a well written character?
>>
No
>>
Yes
>>
>>174251919

He's pretty decent for a keikaku master obsessed with revenge.
>>
I don't know.
>>
Yes. That said, most of his fanbase doesn't understand him and highly overrates him as a human being.
>>
>>174251931
>>174251985
/a/'s full of pretentious retards who are too stupid and uncultured to even piece together a 3 sentence opinion about a character.
>>
>>174252017
>being this new
>>
>>174251919
He certainly worked as a character but I couldn't tell you why. Maybe it was simply because his archetype was original and evocative, and the voice and design up to par. I think the writing does have its high points, for his character and maybe elsewhere, but it certainly wasn't a work of excellence and mastery.
>>
>>174252025
>lol le funneh meme
OP isn't fucking asking for a recommendation you squawking retards. He's asking for an opinion. There's no reason you can't answer him unless you're a mindrotted social media squawker.
>>
File: Euphe_geass-compelled.png (352 KB, 640x446)
352 KB
352 KB PNG
"I know how Geass works, but I'll start spouting random words in front of the girl I value without being aware this might backfire horribly"
>>
>>174252067
>no fun allowed
>>
>>174252087
>characters making mistakes is bad writing
This is an ACTUAL sign of being "stupid and uncultured".

>>174251931 was just writing a bare minimum response to what could be interpreted as a Yes/No question, and >>174251985 was likely attempting humor by making a post that is simply contrary to the one preceding it and nothing more. Was probably hoping for a third anon to post "Maybe" right after (although >>174252009 was close).
>>
>>174252096
They're parroting memes because they're too stupid/lazy/ignorant to answer a simple question. They need to get a little shit.
>>
>>174252162
>was likely attempting humor by making a post that is simply contrary to the one preceding it and nothing more.
Now YOU'RE new
>>
>>174252087
If only they had somehow established that he was over-confident in his abilities such as (say) controlling his magic power. And they were hardly random words as it was an obvious example of a thing she would never want to do.
It's impressive that you can fail to understand a show as unsubtle as Code Geass.
>>
>>174252162
>This is an ACTUAL sign of being "stupid and uncultured".
It was a dumb and obvious plot device. Don't be a parrot.
>>
>>174252166
>being this new and still persisting
Just quite while you're a head. Also see what this anon said >>174252162

>>174252183
>reading comprehension: below average
>>
>>174252183
But that's not true! It's a simple fact that when people make "Yes/No" OPs, there is commonly a pattern in the first three posts where Poster 1 says "Yes or No", Poster 2 posts the contrary, and Poster 3 posts something neutral!

I'm being a bit obtuse on purpose anon, although I'm sure you're doing the same to some degree.Tone can be hard, sometimes.
>>
>>174252239
If you can believe it I grasp the obvious connotations of anon's profound analysis. That's not the point. You're being a pretentious faggot. I'll repeat what I said earlier: the point of the meme is to derail a thread seeking information that is inappropriate for the board. OP's question is perfectly appropriate. These people are only parroting memes i.e. trying to be funny because they are otherwise incapable of producing intelligent content. It was funny the first 50,000 times. Now it's just stupidity. They need to get a little shit.
>>
>>174252197
I didn't fail to understand it.
Lelouch making such a grave mistake when everything fine was plot induced stupidity.
>>
>>174252259
Ah, I see that I'm wrong. Truth be told, Anon is right and I'm the one who's new. I misunderstood the purpose of the meme
>>
>>174252308
>the point of the meme is to derail a thread
That's where you're wrong.
Also, it bumps the thread much like your shitposting right now.
>they are otherwise incapable of producing intelligent content
Careful with those broad generalisations, anon.
>>
>>174252326
It was just blunt and obvious. There was probably a better, more subtle way to bring about those course of events. Maybe establish beforehand that Lelouche's power is acting up. The line between tragedy and blunt plot device is thin if it's not the conclusion
>>
>>174251919
Mary Sue so no.
>>
>>174252217
It's a pretty classic structure for the kind of protagonist Lelouch is. Success upon success breeds arrogance and a self-assured attitude. Drunk on success, he momentarily discards the very things that put won him that privilege in the first place - and the house of cards immediately begins to collapse.

It's rote, but it's not really bad writing in terms of character. I'd say the actual consequences and intended "shock factor" ended up becoming more comical than intended and THAT'S bad writing in a sense, but that's not relevant to the OP subject.
>>
>>174252350
It is my mistake. I jumped to conclusions and enjoy too much going off on people just for the sake of it. I attribute this ugly character trait to loneliness and general frustration and inadequacy in my life
>>
>>174252400
It's relevant enough. God knows more egregious derails are not uncommon. I think it needed to have been built up just a little bit more, at least. Establish the geass glitch ahead of time. Maybe even have lelouche reveal his power to Euphy previously, as well. That way, when the same plot device does happen, it is more of an actual surprise.
>>
>>174252326
It wasn't a mistake because he had no particular reason to think his power was going to act up at that moment, or that it would act up in that way at all. If that was established beforehand as >>174252377
suggests then it would be plot-induced stupidity as you suggest. But while he had seen from Mao that Geass powers could go haywire he had no hint that it was about to happen to him.
He's also very fond of the sort of grandiose statement that makes him say "kill all the Japanese" rather than "kill yourself" or whatever.
>>
>>174252400
>more comical than intended
I doubt it, given that the whole show was written like that. I expect they were well aware that the absurdity of it was comical for the audience as much as it was tragic for the characters.
>>
>>174252511
It doesn't even necessarily need to be some pivotal development in Lelouche's character. He doesn't need to be humbled by it, or anything. I actually prefer how it resulted in his doubling down on his machiavellian position. The issue is that it was too convenient and coincidental of a plot device to go unnoticed by the viewer. Like I mentioned >>174252500

If Rerushu and Euphy had already had even a single scene together which established the reveal of his geass, then the same event could have been done without the plot necessity being so apparent. Only the most seasoned viewers would still be suspecting something if the scene had been spread out a little more over time; most viewers would already have accepted that the resolution was around the corner.
>>
>>174252636
The show was full of convenient and contrived plot devices. The question at hand is whether or not it was out of character for Lelouche. I do not think it was.

However if Lelouche did have reason to believe his Geass was glitching and had already revealed his Geass to Euphy then I don't see how it would be in character. He'd have no reason to say such a thing, and every reason to avoid it. That would be dumb.
>>
>>174252776
The choice would have to be between a simple mistake on his part or an striking plot device. Reveal the glitch 4 or 5 episodes prior, and then let the issue drop completely. Establish a comfortable and friendly relationship between the two, as they did, and have Lelouche relax a little bit therein, as they did. Have him reveal his geass, and then, in the following episode, have Euphy misunderstand it a little bit. Have a relaxed and friendly Lelouche strive to clarify the extent of the Geass' power, and, as one of several, similarly outlandish examples, have him quote the "kill the japanese" one. Then, boom, remind the audience about the geass glitch. It just feels more natural.
>>
>>174252776
>>174253201
You could still argue that it's out of character for lelouche, but in the context of the changing dynamic between him and Euphy, the inconsistency is masked. Plus, the audience will have also completely forgotten. It's much more subtle.
>>
>>174253201
I don't see anything wrong with it being a striking plot device given that the show is already packed with them.
If Lelouche knew his Geass had issues it would make no sense for him to conveniently forget about it, especially having seen how Mao ended up. That would make him a retard, which would not be in character at all. Euphy would also have to be pretty dumb to somehow not understand the basic idea of the Geass, which is all that he would be conveying.
Never mind what the fuck you fill those extra four episodes with.
>>174253234
Why the fuck do you think "subtle" makes it at all suitable for Code Geass? Sounds like you're trying to write a completely different show. And I think it would be a worse one.
>>
File: 73YRTVL.jpg (509 KB, 1603x900)
509 KB
509 KB JPG
>>174251919
No, but Rolo was. Rolo best boy.
>>
>>174252511
He got very clear reason to think his gayass power will grow stronger after "geass out of control" "threaten your girl and sister" "shotting CC and somehow not take the code so it not by killing because she could have bled out and die" "mind reader" "minor character" "two geass eye contact" "charles affordable health care patient" Mao's incidents.
>>
>>174251919
S3 is going to kick ass!
Right bros?
>>
File: Code geass.png (817 KB, 1280x720)
817 KB
817 KB PNG
>>174251919
Stream the movie 2 here :

http://kawaiifu.com/movies/code-geass-hangyaku-no-lelouch-ii-rebellion-handou.html
>>
>>174256398
Do you got the first movie?
>>
>>174256398
Is this just a recut of the show?, nothing looks different.
>>
>>174251919
Depends on what you mean by writing.
If you think that writing that is consistent and accomplishes what it set out to do then yes, he is a well-written character.
If you mean to ask if his characterization true to real life then no, and it was not intended to be. Still it contains more truth than the characterization of the most other anime characters which on average contains no truth at all.
>>
>>174252511
Actually it was hinted beforehand that his geass was acting up even he felt something was off. A previous episode hinted this and yet Lulu still ignored it.
>>
File: char-aznable.png.jpg (34 KB, 500x375)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>174252039
>Maybe it was simply because his archetype was original and evocative,
Maybe you're just a newfag
>>
>>174252326
He didn't make a mistake. It's just that this course of events was pretty unlikely and felt contrived.
>>
>>174252776
How in the world could it be interpreted as out of character?I don't think this is the complaint people have with this scene.
>>
>>174257669
Theres more than a few new scenes
>>
>>174252563
This. Charles spends ten seconds laughing immediately after the massacre starts.
>>
File: cat-hug-gif.gif (3.74 MB, 360x360)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB GIF
>>174252423
thank you for being so open about yourself. If more people were nice and not rood shitposters then 4chan would be a nicer place to meme.

seek help anon we love you
>>
The sheer amount of cancer and autism in this thread is staggering frankly.
>>
>>174251919
I think so.
>>
>>174251919
Yes.

Not all the time, but Lelouch is probably the best or second best written character in Code Geass. He has a ton of flaws and isn't just godly capable all the time. That's nice to see.
>>
>>174252400
Eh, I think you underestimate how tongue-in-cheek the staff and cast of CG could be.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.