[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: nipspeak.jpg (339 KB, 1275x1414)
339 KB
339 KB JPG
I can't read nip so I have no idea what's going on, but apparently she was complaining on Twitter then deleted her tweets. The person translating doesn't do a great job. Keep in mind she only worked on Alternative.
>>
File: nipspeak2.png (45 KB, 792x318)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
Is she calling out Production IG?
>>
This was all a mistake. FLCL shouldnt have continued.
>>
>>175501259
That sounds more like an endorsement.
>>
I don't know why Japanese always went brutally honest about this kind of things in Twitter when in real life they just shut up and don't talk about it. They really need to learn to be moderate a bit on sensitive issues like this.
>>
>>175501615
>I don’t know why people are more outspoken online than they are in real life
>>
>>175501259
>please check my anime in september
Sounds like shilling to me.
>>
File: 1513777363506.jpg (43 KB, 433x318)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Why doesn't Japan know when to leave good stuff alone.
The same will happen with CG R3, It's just not needed and things no one asked for.
>>
>>175502257
> - 4chan.org
>>
>>175502502
>japan
It's an issue all over the world, there is a serious lack of good stories and good ideas so producers/companies simply go for something with an already established name to get some attention.
>>
>>175501225
Honestly, I would get upset about alternative's script, too. It was undeniably shit, but she could've just refused to join the production
>>
at this point i feel like i shouldn't even watch the new flcl series at all
might be better to fondly remember the original and be done with it
>>
>>175501259
untranslated line in the middle says
>I'm just an old-fashioned person who thinks it may be better to not slap uncool slogans onto things
>>
>>175502937
go watch the intro scene in episode 1

That's by far the peak of the new series. A sad reminder of what it could have been.
>>
>>175502759

Doesn't it feel like more of a modern issue though? We didn't used to have this sequel to pretty old properties problem until I think the last 10 years or so, which maybe happens as a result of the increasing costs of production. I know it happens a shitload in Hollywood but anime seemed to be safer from random sequels.
>>
Ahahahaha even the nips cant help but leak what a mess nu cooly is.

Honestly they fucked up the moment Furata let slip all the details about how Tsurumaki didn't want to work with them until they blackmailed him by saying "were going to make it with or without you". I couldn't believe they left that in the PR.
>>
>>175503489
Consider than in the past we used to have longer series. So yeah, we got 3 seasons of Hozuki-kun, but back then we would have got one season with 39 (if not more) episodes.
>>
File: haruko.jpg (548 KB, 2400x1636)
548 KB
548 KB JPG
2 and 3 never should have been made. I wanted more flcl as much as anybody, but I understood part of what made it work was it's brevity. At least they won't fuck with the original like Lucas did to Star Wars
>>
>>175501225
Why do I care what some nobody gook says?
>>
FLCL is fucked.
>>
I hate Toonamifags so god damn much
>>
>>175503489
Tensai Bakabon just got revived for the fifth time since the 70s. Devilman and Cutey Honey have likewise been remade several times over the decades. It happens a lot more now because a lot more anime is being made, but it has always happened.
Shit, Don Quxote got a sequel after ten years, albeit under rather different circumstances.
>>
>>175504533
>rickenbarker
>>
>>175503489
Hollywood cranked out tons of monster movie sequels from the 1930's onward, and Hammer did too.
>>
>>175501225
>Keep in mind she only worked on Alternative.
we still don't know that. The Raharu mentioned in the cast list for prog is more likely to refer to her orange haired half rather than her complete self.
>>
So Alternative will be trash too? Thanks for the heads up. FLCL sequel was a mistake.
>>
File: 220px-CMCC.jpg (23 KB, 220x282)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
I hope Tsurumaki chimes in. bet he feels like this guy right now.
>>
I don't even know what's different from the old one but I only watched it once 16 years ago or so and barely remember anything other than that it was crazy and had parts with too much symbolism stuff, also that Haruko was hot maybe as well.
I think the only actual scene I remember was the South Park parody.
>>
>>175501225
>whether it's anime or theater, the screenwriter holds the same responsibility.
It sounds like Iwai turned the scripts and then taken his hands off the project entirely, which led to Shintani seeing his tweet as unfair. The line above is probably referencing how Iwai's primarily a theater writer and FLCL 2/3 is his first anime work.
This is even more speculative but it might give a double meaning to the first quote in >>175501259
Her first tweet says that Iwai was gone before the people working on-site (現場の人間) decided to do their own thing. The second image's quote says the on-site staff (現場スタッフ) had a lot of discussion about Haruko in Alternative. She may be talking about the planning stages, or maybe the staff were all trying to figure out Iwai's script after he disappeared from the project lol
>>
>>175501225
This is why dubfags are to be hated.
>>
The impression I get from this is that Iwai just turned in his script then left to go work on something else immediately afterward. Then the voice actress snapped at him for bitching about the rewrites when he wasn't around to consult.
>>
what a fucking mess this is.. hope toho and japan learned their lesson and stay away from toonami and the west
>>
>>175503566

Source?
>>
>>175506152
>>175507262

Thanks for the clarification.
>>
>>175505431
Are any of Creature from the black lagoon sequels any good?
>>
>>175507781
>stay away from toonami and the west
Hey, don't blame west just because toonami is dumpster fire. Though they did give us Space Dandy.
>>
>>175507781
>>175508221

This really isn't Toonami's fault though. I mean they paid for it, but they had no input as far as I know on the project. DeMarco should probably be blamed though for not listening to Tsurumaki when he said he had nothing left to say with FLCL.
>>
>>175507831
You have to read between the lines of official PR, select tsurumaki interviews, and other leaks around production to get the full picture, but Ill try my best to give cliffs notes.
You can start with this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u29GMSQIPGc

The first fuck up is at 1:10 where Furata explains that a sequel was the sole idea of Demarco and cartoon network, Production IG just came along for the ride. She then explains how Tsurumaki said "no" for 10 years specifically because he felt there was nothing left to explore creatively with FLCL.

The next one is at 2:35 where Furata explains that the reason she didn't take 'no' for an answer was because she knew that "cartoon network really wanted to get this done and they would finance it". She explains how she bought the rights because she knew that cartoon network would fund a sequel no matter what.

So then once she has the rights, Demarco and Prod IG go to Tsurumaki again and say "if you dont work with us, we will just make it without you, we have the rights". So then, miraculously, Tsurumaki decides that after 12 years of saying no, he is finally ready to sign on to a FLCL sequel.

Pretty interesting coincidence huh? Tsurumaki decides to do a 180 after over a decade of firm denials at the same exact time that the rights expire and a FLCL sequel becomes literally inevitable.
>>
>>175508699
>So then once she has the rights, Demarco and Prod IG go to Tsurumaki again and say "if you dont work with us, we will just make it without you, we have the rights"
Forgot to mention that this part was confirmed to be true by Demarco. If Tsurumaki absolutely refused the superficial "supervisor" role, they would have just made nu-cooly without him.
>>
>>175508455
isn't that demarco guy a producer in toonami?
>>
>>175508699
>>175508775
>>175508845

Yes, DeMarco is the Toonami guy basically. https://twitter.com/Clarknova1

It must suck when you create something and then bloodsuckers try to steal it away from you so they can do what they please with it. I wish Tsurumaki had held onto the rights himself or something so this couldn't have happened.
>>
File: 1519970107342.png (1.16 MB, 526x1370)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
>see random hobo on the street
>hey would you like to do FLCL as director

Avant garde.
>>
>>175509588
>>175508699

Is anime that profitable? I'm a bit confused about how money-driven they could have been, or if they really felt like they were doing justice to the property and answering a demand.
>>
>>175508999
He really should have, when people try to do something without the actual creator everything goes ass up, see Star Wars, RWBY and Boruto and now FOOLY COOLY. Once the creator is gone from a franchise just drop it. It's gonna be shit
>>
File: 1507696755748.jpg (11 KB, 171x255)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>175510707
>RWBY
>>
>>175510772
It was trash before but it had some kind of redeeming factor in fights then the creator died and volume 4 happened and nothing's been the same, RT are chasing hollywood money now, even broke off their Youtube relationship
>>
>>175510537
What? It doesn't have to make star wars money to be a nostalgia play that nobody wanted. And if this took off the way they wanted it to, yes it could have been very profitable. If nu cooly worked to full potential, it could have opened up possibilities for not only more FLCL but also new reboots or sequels that Adult Swim would co-produce. In the world of Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon originals, having original content that you can connect to your service exclusively are THE most important thing to have right now. Adult Swim originals are few and far between, and they seem to have run out of ideas (that eric andre show spin off, joe pera talks with you etc). Toonami producing an original anime that brought in tons of new viewers would open them up for new projects like even more FLCL or other anime reboots/remakes. Except these shows would be adult swim exclusives, a really important thing to have.

>they really felt like they were doing justice to the property
It didn't need any justice to be done to it. The original creator told them for 10+ years to not do it and that he wanted no part of it.

>answering a demand
The only demand they were answering was their own demand for content to save toonami and the network in general from dying slowly along with the rest of niche cable television. Nobody asked for this. Not for 10+ years. Only Demarco did.

tldr;youre right, its not a cash grab. they managed to lose money, gain no real viewership or hype, and make a turd of a sequel. Point being, they should have never touched it in the first place. it wasn't even good for them financially.
>>
>>175511123

Good point. I wonder why they went with something so ambitious like FLCL as opposed to Trigun or something.
>>
>>175510537
It was probably more Demarco was a fan like everyone else and wanted to affix himself to something great, like a leech.
>>
>>175510772
Proper nooses have 13 loops in it, just saying
>>
>>175511477
flcl is more of a blank slate to work with whereas Trigun diverged from the manga, and the manga itself is pretty not good in the last 1/3rd of it. A new adaptation or continuation would suck ass. The ultimate fuck you would be a Bebop sequel which I pray they never do. Big O season 2 was kind of a dud too.

Really, Toonami does well enough for its timeslots but with most anime going to streaming services first now and Toonami being at the back of the line as far as negotiating for rights they're in a shitty spot. Producing anime isn't cheap even when you do it "cheap".

They really just need to just pick a distributor and get far cozier with them, maybe even letting them cobrand the block or something and just deal with missing some exclusives from other distributors.
>>
>>175508699
>You have to read between the lines of official PR
And ignored.
>>
>>175506152
>theater writer and FLCL 2/3 is his first anime work.
Who even is this guy? Why did he get ths job?
>>
>>175511841
That's why I gave the most basic, verbatim quotes from the video I linked instead of dealing with any of that. I quote Furata word for word at some points. Also, nice downvote. Run back along to wherever you came from.
>>
File: 1397094209768.jpg (128 KB, 848x960)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>175511976
>Literally hawking a conspiracy theory
>Make out of context quotes
>Expecting /a/ to swallow horseshit
>>
>>175511841
Not him but did you even read it?
He doesn't explicitly say "well fuck I guess I have to supervise it even though it's going to be shit" but he implies it in an obvious but roundabout way
Again, before you reply answer the first question.
Did you read what the first anon posted?
>>
>>175512408
Did you even watch the video I posted? Nothing is out of context. How do you take certain realities like "tsurumaki said no for 12 years until we bought the rights and then he said yes" out of context? Those are plain facts, there's no room for interpretation.

>Expecting /a/ to swallow horseshit
Uh, are you suffering from brain damage? The whole thread is dedicated to the troubled production of nu-cooly leaking out. It seems out of the few /a/nons who even care to post, they don't have a hard time believing that tsurumaki was pressured into signing on and that production was a mess.

I repeat, go back to where you came from. You aren't fitting in.
>>
>>175511894
He's an actor/writer/director and head of a theater troupe. I think a lot of the staff selection behind the FLCL sequels was a genuine attempt to gather new talent and fresh ideas, at least that's one way it can be interpreted given most of the directors' lack of experience. IIRC the original's commentaries said they drew from talent mainly involved in theater as well (although that was probably on the VA side)
>>
>>175511792
I think FLCL Prog did pretty well on streaming services. It ranked pretty highly on itunes for example. Toonami is apparently working on a bunch of stuff according to DeMarco, so I guess keep your eyes peeled.
>>
>>175513157
Yeah it beat out Marvin Martian Looney Tunes special for the #1 itunes animation spot. Nobody watches TV by buying each episode for 2$ a piece on itunes so it's not really difficult to reach that spot nor is there any real competition except 10 year old family guy episodes.
>>
>>175513157
Viewership on CN was pretty bad, but Toonami's block has been tanking since 2015.
>>
>>175512911
You think they would go with someone that actually has written for anime before. Theater is about as far as you can get from the eccentricities of FLCL. No wonder Progressive seemed so low energy.
>>
>>175502937
>at this point i feel like i shouldn't even watch the new flcl series at all
That's literally what I'm doing. The second I saw the PV, I wanted nothing to do with this. I'll just keep my fond memories of the original OVA and stick with that
>>
>>175513157
>>175513904
>Cowboy Bebop 2
>Spike gets up from the staircase with a grin on his face
>"Hahah, the ol' ketchup under the shirt trick. Time to call Jet to pick me up so we can listen to Jazz and do kung-fu"

Guys, how do we stop DeMarco?
>>
>>175504533
>I wanted more flcl as much as anybody
If you really liked FLCL, you shouldn't have wanted more of it at all.
>>
>>175514341
Needs more nanomachine zombie cyborg Vicious near the end.

That or a pseudo new cast that exists to suck off the old cast
>>
I don't understand. Who do I blame and shitpost on?
>>
>>175514617
Capitalism.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.