[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: bathtub dog.jpg (361 KB, 3264x1952)
361 KB
361 KB JPG
>looking for steady job in the field I'm interested in (film)
>live in major city (not LA) so there are a fair amount of opportunities but I'm under-qualified for most of them
>just got rejected from one that seemed perfect for me and that I was actually qualified for

What do I do? I'm seriously considering giving up on trying to find a job in the field and doing something else to fund film as a hobby, but I'm worried that then it'll fall by the wayside
>>
>>19109533
Aww, lo siento !
>>
>>19109533
>>looking for steady job in the field I'm interested in (film)
>>live in major city (not LA) so there are a fair amount of opportunities but I'm under-qualified for most of them
>>just got rejected from one that seemed perfect for me and that I was actually qualified for
>What do I do? I'm seriously considering giving up on trying to find a job in the field and doing something else to fund film as a hobby, but I'm worried that then it'll fall by the wayside

Hi anon. You can take or leave this advice, but what I've done for companies that I really wanted to get into, is take low level jobs there that I was way overqualified for, and then spend a year or two doing the shitty job. During that time I would get to know the people up the ladder, and when a job opened up that fit my real ability and qualifications, I would already have first shot at it before anyone on the outside. HR would love that because if they promote you they don't have to read a shitload of resumes and interview a ton of assholes off the street. They may have to interview a couple other people to justify promoting you instead, but the bottom line is that it makes HR life much easier, and they will always lean towards the easier thing.

You have to be willing to do shit work for a year or two until a position opens up, but when it does, there is a pretty good chance you'll get the job, and it will be a job you want at a company you want to work for.
>>
>>19109533
hello fellow filmbug
what kind of job you got turn down for?
did you studied film making or anything related?
idk how the industry works on USA, in my country you cant do shit until you have a diploma or be rich
there are some jobs you can do, but idk in what field of film making you are into, directing? cameraman? lights? sound? scrypt? acting?
if you are into any technical job(lights, sound, makeup,etc) you are lucky and you should have no problem getting a job
if you are an scryptwritter (I heard) that in USA they can be hired just for that one job
if you are a director then you are kinda fucked since is the only field overpopulated and the worse pay

mi advice, get a diploma or at least take some classes and then be sure you want to get into this world, and dont do it for the money, you will lose money I can tell you that from the start

when you get the diploma you can joy the syndicate of cinema in the usa and they will be obligated to get you a job
>>
>>19109634
>what kind of job you got turn down for?
It was a runner position at a local production company, grunt work for sure but with opportunity for advancement
>did you studied film making or anything related?
Took some classes in college, also me and some friends are working on making a third short together
>there are some jobs you can do, but idk in what field of film making you are into, directing? cameraman? lights? sound? scrypt? acting?
More the creative side (writing, directing) but I'm trying to get experience where I can
>when you get the diploma you can joy the syndicate of cinema in the usa and they will be obligated to get you a job
Thanks for the advice, I've seriously considered film school before and may well end up doing it this time. My big hesitation was knowing that I could learn the technical aspects just by making movies with friends, but maybe it'll be worth it for the networking

>>19109591
Thanks anon, that's definitely good advice. Unfortunately that's more or less what the job I just lost out on was, and I'm definitely done with the unpaid internship bullshit
>>
>>19109687
you do can learn stuff by making but nobody will hire an amateur person to handle sofisticated and expensive machinery so if you dont have a engineering diploma and some basic art and film concepts nobody will take risks with you, you will start as a helper and go up, my uncle used to buy cocaine for Job Raffelsson before they let him touch a camera, shitty jobs like that are the starting point for most of profesional directors, a film making diploma will allow you to skip some steps and go right to the asistant director spot

otherwise, you can always try to do it yourself on the third world way

writte an scrypt
send it to any amateur competition you find
if you win they will give you money for your project
film it and send it to every festival you know(including Cannes and Berlin if you can qualify)
when your short get into some festival repeat the procces
a production studio will find you if your work is good
if they dont find you then wait until you have two or more short films published and go hunting one
>>
>film

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.