[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I feel like a complete fuck-up. I'm 24, I live with my parents, and for the past 3 years, after quitting uni, I spent nearly all my time alone and isolated working on making music. Now I finished an album, and I'm staring into the mouth of infinity, slowly realizing that nobody gives a shit. I was so busy working out how to make an album I completely forgot about whether it would be worthwhile.

Now I'm gonna release it and no one's gonna care. I'm gonna try and promote it and that will have whatever impact it will have. I have nothing else I can do. I'm gonna be a burden on my parents. I can't support myself financially. I'm completely alone and isolated and it's entirely my fault. I don't even know what other career path I should consider.

Wat do?
>>
Make a change?
>>
>>19142675
what kind?
>>
>>19142662

if you're really into a music career, Network and grind, Network and grind.

Don't count on luck or some producer to just randomly scan the internet and find your shit. You need to get exposure, and that will take work. Local shows local clubs the local scene, you need to get yourself out there and getting yourself out there is just as much your job as music making, if not more so.

I think a lot of artists think their job is making art. that is how you get to become a poor artist. Think of it as 30% art and content creation, and 70% grinding to get people to see/hear it and care. If you just have that attitude about what your "job" actually is, then that's a good start.
>>
>>19142722
that's actually really helpful advice/perspective. do you work in music?
>>
>>19142732

I'm washed up. it didn't work out personally for me as a career - career, but those were still some great years and I wouldn't trade them for anything.
>>
>>19142759
Can you elaborate? Why didn't it work? What do you do now?
>>
File: 1484248837285.jpg (253 KB, 2500x1667)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>19142662
Look mate, that sounds like a shitty situation, but at least you've actually taken the time to invest your time, emotion and talent into something that you find worthwhile. I really appreciate this kind of mindset

I (and I'm not >>19142722), don't exactly work "in the industry", but I made a somewhat popular but niche music related tool a while ago. I've honestly never really networked either, but after a few years of working on a product alone, I'm starting to realize that "making" money means very little if there is no-one to share the pleasures or successes with.

Anyhow, because of my depressing revelations, I'm hoping to start networking a little more, if you're interested, hit me up on Twitter (@smgmusicdisplay), I'll give your album a listen and I'll promote you.

Also, >>19142722 is really right, making good quality art is only half the work.
>>
>>19142662
I've got a yt channel with 2k subscribers where I just upload albums. I can upload your shit on there.
>>
>>19142722
SO MUCH THIS.

Don't be like my ex who thought that he would be the best actor ever, only to never do any of the work that is involved in being discovered, then being pissed off because he was never found.

You can do it OP!
>>
>>19142826

Hey man, that's real cool of you, I'm taking note of your twitter handle and I'll contact you shortly if that's cool.
>>
>>19142843

That's awesome man! What's your youtube channel?
>>
>>19142853
Yeah, good stuff. Thanks for the kind words, stranger!
>>
>>19142875
https://www.youtube.com/user/whitedude877
Don't feel obligated to subscribe or anything, I'm not asking for anything in return. Send me a message via the "about" section.

You ought to consider setting up a bandcamp if you haven't already.
>>
>that time /adv/ launched a music career
>>
>>19142662
Is there a song you have uploaded on YT that I can listen to?
>>
>>19143345
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_7bIeTnro
>>
>>19143361
this is pretty good
>>
>>19143527
glad you like it
>>
>>19143361
>slowly realizing that nobody gives a shit
Song is fucking awesome. I subbed to your TY channel btw. Keep crackin brother, you are young but I can tell you have been through some shit.
>>
>>19143361
I dig it.

Djupang.bandcamp.com
>>
>>19143361

Nig, I know a guy with 1million+ followers on Instagram and 2 mil on FB, I will try to add ur song to one of his vids.
>>
>>19143361
Perhaps throw this link in a new thread on /mu/ board for some additional exposure.

>I feel like a complete fuck-up
I think you greatly underestimate yourself.
>slowly realizing that nobody gives a shit
You will find this is simply not true. Just need a few breaks and a wave of momentum to propel you to the next step.
> I'm gonna be a burden on my parents.
You can repay them when you become successful.
>I'm completely alone and isolated and it's entirely my fault.
This is only temporary. There must be regression for progression.
>>
>>19143361
Really this is not bad.. don’t be afraid! I think if you network and build out your ‘image/character’ this could really be something
>>
>>19143361
The music is very good, i felt the voice a little bit low. I´d like to hear more
>>
>>19143361
this really sounds good!!!! though, the instrumental is a little too loud, i can't hear you the way i'm supposed to. please to fix this, for your own good.
>>
>>19144190
>i felt the voice a little bit low. I´d like to hear more
Yes, from what I can make out the lyrics are very solid and I was straining to hear some words. I wanted to KNOW the words!!!
>>
Good shit
>>
>>19143361
That's pretty good. Needs mixing though.

Don't feel bad anon. At least you spent years dedicated to something. There's a lot of people that just drop out and waste their life on video games and being a lonely cave dweller, and they realize they missed 4 years of their life it's really hard to go back because they didn't develop any skills.

Do you have any musical education btw? I've played guitar for 10 years (since i was about 12) and for the past 3 I've been bored with just learning other people's stuff. I started recording some covers, but I've been getting the itch to create something original. I guess I'm just asking in the hopes to find someone that did it with no musical education whatsoever. I know chords and that's it.
>>
>>19144678
I took 2 years of private guitar lessons when I was like 11, quit, and everything else was self-taught.
>>
>>19145225
>I took 2 years of private guitar lessons when I was like 11, quit, and everything else was self-taught.
So right now you're just a one man band? You're doing this all solo?
>>
>>19145676
Yeah, pretty much, except for drums, which are played by a friend of mine.
>>
>>19143361
Good shit, OP. You done you works on the harder part, gittin gud. Getting exposure maybe is half of the works, but if there's diagram of git gud and making connection, there will be a huge intersection of being good enough to be noticed. I've known some people who their only work is making connection, ended up being a mere social climber and their actual work barely get noticed.
There's a few choice of method to make money doing what you like recently, Patreon might be a good idea.
I also planning to opening my own Patreon, but I'll be making illustrations. Actually I have similar situation with you, just dropped out of univ last year. For now I'm still making first presentable works as portfolio.
Being a huge weebs, your song reminds me of Lithium Flower, I like it.
>>
>>19145687
Patreon would be a dream come true for any creator, yeah. God speed in your own endeavors anon.
>>
OP, any plans on putting that song on /mu/ ?
>>
>>19145740
This, gib us a single.
>>
>>19145740
i should prolly do that.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.