[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Hey /adv/. This will be my first post on this board. So my question is, as a man, should you ever let anyone see you cry? Does it show weakness that can be used against you?
>>
>>19142969
>should you ever let anyone see you cry
No. I found out the very hard way.
>>
Bump
>>
>>19142969
depends what you're crying about
I'd say crying during a movie is generally more acceptable than depression crying

Feels good to have a good cry though
>>19142972
greentext story
>>
No, the only time when its (((acceptable))) for you to cry and everyone is watching is when someone close to you dies.
Men dont give a shit if you cry or not. But women sees it as a weakness, they can play all the mental gymnastic they want, but crying is a sign of weakness. Do not show this to them.
You can, but you must be really close with them or anyone whom you dont plan to date.
>>
File: Mac.jpg (2 KB, 123x125)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
No, never let anyone see you do that. It taints your soul.
>>
>>19142969
Just never cry in front of your gf, rather kill the guy standing next to you to suppress it.
>>
>>19142969
>Does it show weakness that can be used against you?
Only if you let it. Cry all you want, but be alpha when it counts.
>>
>>19143111
I'm as mentally weak as men come and I never cry.
>>
>>19142969
Men are allowed to cry. Anyone who says otherwise is an asshole. You deserve to have emotions, you deserve to express them. It's much more harmful to bottle them up, it doesn't make you any more or less 'manly', only more depressed.
>>
>>19143275
hey man, we're 73% for a reason
>>19142969
No. Never ever. Don't let people manipulate you. Keep them as far away from your emotions and interests as possible.
>>
>mfw my ex fiancé and I had a miscarriage
>he didn’t shed a single tear
>not even one
>it broke me
>spent hours crying alone
>communication broke down
>cancelled the wedding
>went separate ways
>he never shed a single fucking tear

Sometimes holding back implies a lack of emotion
>>
>>19144195
>Sometimes holding back implies a lack of emotion
Yeah...no; if he had broken down and cried, you would have lost some respect for him. In the moment you may have said "Aww thats sweet, he cares" but later, internally; you would not view him the same. It is not something females can control since it is biologically and neurologically hardwired into your very being. Only pussies cry in front of their women. Your wedding wasn't cancelled because he didn't shed any tears over the miscarriage. There were deeper problems of a more serious nature.
>>
>>19144195
you are retarded
>>
Only to other men. Best not to show weakness in front of women
>>
>>19142969
I openly cry in public all the time. It's fine, no one cares. It increases a natural empathy instinct in other people putting you at the center of attention.

Other men who have been trained like donkeys will tell you that crying is only for the weak, but it's actually a greater display of personal strength to deal with your emotions on the spot. If you don't cry eventually your personality vanishes.
>>
>>19144195
I'm here with you anonymous. The guys who don't feel the need to cry, just direct it into anger and call people cucks on 4chan.

Crying releases stress hormones and it's good for experiencing clarity of mind and growth. If you're dumb enough to ignore those scientific facts and choose to believe that we live in some conan the barbarian universe where women are property, then you probably deserve to lead the miserable life that you will have if you repress your emotions.

FAGGOTS
>>
Never cry infront of women.
>>
>>19143111
>but you must be really close with them or anyone whom you dont plan to date.
What if a loved one dies and you cry in front of your gf?
>>
>>19143275
That's all true but I still think people shouldn't see you cry
>>
>>19142972
Greentext NOW
>>
There's a big gap between crying like getting teary eyed and uncontrollably bawling like a baby so it really depends on the situation. I've never seen him cry, I've seen teary eyed twice and that's ok for me, him, and the specific situations. That's just what I think, alot of girls say "I already have a pussy why do I need another".

>>19144606
Depends on her, you, who died, and what you mean by crying. You know if it was a pet fish that you loved, that would be a little weird.
>>
>>19144195
You are abysmally retarded if you think he never cried just because you didn't see him cry. You were probably too self centered to understand what is going on with him.
>>
File: 1510345664866.gif (315 KB, 234x159)
315 KB
315 KB GIF
>>19144589
Kek. This has to be shitposting right?

I can just imagine some dude just full on breakdown in the middle of public like a fucking weirdo.

It doesn't bring out empathy in anyone you retard. Unlike your friends, they don't even know why you are crying so everyone around you feels awkward and disturbed that someone is just crying in the middle of public like a baby.
>>
>>19143275
woman detected
>>
>>19142969
>>
>>19142969
Crying is necessary to do once in a while in a controlled manner. It is okay to do in front of people you trust who want to help, but don't just burden them with all of your shit.
>>
>>19144866
If a woman says it's okay to cry and it doesn't make you less manly wouldn't that be a reason that it's okay to cry since the whole point in not crying is not looking less manly to women?
>>
>>19142969
>should you ever let anyone see you cry?
I don't know and I don't really care. I'll cry if I feel the need to.
I take it as good sign that I haven't lost all my humanity yet.

>that can be used against you?
I can not think of any way I could use crying against you.
>>
>>19144768
This.
>>
>>19142969
I am 6'4" 230lbs and play rugby for my University. You're never "too manly" to cry. I have cried in front of people and I'm not ashamed of it. Granted it was stuff worth crying over and I don't just break down like a little bitch, but I've she'd tears in front of my friends. It's human to whether you're a man or not. I have never broken down in front of a stranger though that would be too weird
>>
>>19142969
Well, if you're 6'1, 220 lbs of muscle mass living in Mad Max like dystopia and can pop people heads into bloody pulp with a finger flick, crying makes you manly.
>>
Ego: RATHER THAN LIVE YOUR OWN LIFE CHECK WITH EVERYONE ELSE BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY DECISION
>>
>>19144589
Yeah, you are gay. Let me explain why:
>Wants to be the center of attention
>Believes other men are donkeys
>tries to preserve his personality, even though it's never gona fade, by definition
>>
>>19142969
For some reason I genuinely can't cry. Anyone else get this? It fucking sucks.
>>
>>19145431
230lbs is fucking skinny for 6'4
>>
>>19145748
lol no it's not, it depends on what your build is. I'm 6ft2 and about 150lbs and I'm pretty well built
>>
>>19144217
Fuck off. If your gf/wife starts to think less of you because you show emotions, especially in such a moment where it's totally understandable, she is a dumb bitch who deserves to get dumped. Not everything on this world is about being "alpha" or "manly".
>>
>>19144195
Holy fuck, you absolute idiot. Good for him that you are not together anymore. This is the daftest thing I have ever read in my life. Never have I been so enraged by a dumb cunt on 4chan.
Spoiler alert: men can grief without crying
>>
>>19145763
>6ft2 and about 150lbs and I'm pretty well built
Lmao, no you're not. No you're not.
>>
>>19145561
This thread in a nutshell.

I dont understand the stigma around crying. In what way does it make you weak? In what way is it wrong to express normal human reactions? Why are you weak if you feel so sad that you cry?
>>
>>19145820
This. Unironically i believe in the virgin tear withholder (cries in silence in his room, afraid that anyone sees) VS the chad public crybaby (doesn't care to show emotions, has never hidden his tears in his life).
>>
You should rephrase that question as:
"Should I care about what other people think about me?"
The answer is "No."
>>
How the fuck did all you poofters find your way onto 4chan?
>>
>>19145872
I came from reddit.
>>
I thought about this one for a while. As a woman, I think that a man crying every once in a while is normal (death, breakups, loss). But beyond that, it gives off the impression of the man being weak and fragile. For example, my ex would cry at movies, at church, when he was angry, when he was sad about saying bye to his parents or siblings after a visit, etc. It makes the man come across as weak and not in control of his emotions.
>>
i can tell you that all my girlfriends so far complained about how I don't open up and share my emotions with them. however, I'm doing this because I saw at social gatherings that women run from guys that like to share, they run like the fucking plague. probably the best alternative is knowing how to bring up subjects important to you in a more casual way. but don't cry, that's lame.
>>
>>19144195
You shouldn't have separated with him and cancelled the wedding just because your fiancé is able to take it and control his emotions. Now it looks like you're the one that's a crybaby.

Go back to him and apologize.
>>
If you cry it is fine. If you weep and bawl like a child then it is not so fine.

Manly tears they are called.
>>
Emotions make you weak.

It's human nature to manipulate others to suit your own ends and by having and showing emotions people will just hurt and abuse you.

Never show emotions to anyone ever. If you do people will always use it against you.

Emotions are the enemy. Only money matters.
>>
>>19144589
So this is how people who cry in public think
>>
It helps if you're good at crying. Like if tears are running down your face but your not sobbing, or if youre punching shit while you cry– if youre punching shit you can kind of get away with yell crying a little. Like your wife's dying of cancer and youre in the gym punching a punching bag with tears streaming down your face and this stoic look on your face.
>>
Sign of weakness thing is dumb. Crying doesn't make you look weak if you're not weak. No worthwhile girl will lose respect for you for crying if she actually had respect for you in the first place.

That said, I mean if you're crying like a bitch because you stubbed your toe or something, yeah you're probably pretty weak and you're showing it off when you cry. If you're grieving a family member or something then of course it's fine.

Like fuck, have any of the "never cry" anons ever actually lost somebody? Imagining what my home would have been like when my brother died if me and all my other brothers and my dad had all just been sitting around the house pretending not to cry. How fucking bizarre it would have been to see my dad's face that day and neither of us be crying? Like what the fuck is wrong with you people, grow up.

I mean if you don't cry good for you but if you've got a reason to cry and feel like crying then fucking cry and don't give a shit about whether or not it's okay for you to cry like a goddamn little bitch.
>>
>>19146633
Have we officially reached peak capitalism?
>>
I haven't cried in over 10 years, when I was 15 I think. Is that weird? I've been sad a lot and I've sometimes felt so hopeless that my face screws up and I start breathing heavily but I never cry.
I have a memory of what I think could be the last time I cried, but it's not like I was keeping count back then so I don't know if that's reliable.
>>
File: ahha.jpg (68 KB, 606x415)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>19145163
Logical.
>>
>>19142969
Actually, if your body is read as male by the majority of society, you probably have a responsibility to be more open to crying in public and not associating it with shame. You've probably also received countless societal cues from media (even if your dad was cool with it, which he probably wasn't) which associate your crying with shame, so no matter how woke you are, you retain a deep emotional trigger that you have to acknowledge.

But same, tho. I try to not necessarily look to cry in public, and there aren't really a lot of contexts in which I want to cry... but if the tears come, they come. Let them. Don't apologize. Anyone who makes fun of you for crying looks like an asshole.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.