[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1496338920690.jpg (273 KB, 1024x862)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>24
>achieved a degree in electrical engineering 1 year ago
>have no experience
>only job offers I've gotten were from companies wanting to hire me as a technician
>moving to Australia in 2 months hopefully to find better opportunity
>planning on walking into every engineering firm I see and asking their top engineer if I could just sit in their office and help out unpaid for 2-3 days a week just for experience
>will be living with family so I will work 3 days as a labourer just to make rent/survive

How could I make this plan seriously work? My resume is fine, but cover letter is pure shit and I need help or pointers with that. Has anyone had any experience asking random companies to be an unpaid intern? I'm a little shy but I'm desperate and assertive enough to get rejected 1000x for this opportunity.

Thanks guys, any advice will be appreciated.
>>
>>19253056
Employers won't hire you as an unpaid intern because that's not a thing in Australia unless it's part of a course.
>>
You can’t. Australia doesn’t work that way. We have no culture of ‘internship’ and OSHA/insurance type shit makes it undesirable for a company to even consider. The law here is basically ‘if you’re doing something that is something an employee would be expected to do, you have to be paid for it’. The only people that are basically legally allowed to ‘intern’ for free are undergrads doing placement as part of their degree.

Australia also basically sucks for engineering graduates. There are visa schemes in place that allow companies to import 10 year experience engineers from China and India and insert them into graduate level positions. Engineering grads all over the country are struggling to get relevant graduate level work.

Your plan sucks.

Source: am near-graduate Australian engineer
>>
>>19253056
You cant Australia actually has labour laws
>>
>>19253071
So you're telling me that someone would turn down someone driven and motivated enough to offer them free labour?

>>19253078
how the hell do you get experience then?
work as a technician?
>>
>>19253101
>So you're telling me that someone would turn down someone driven and motivated enough to offer them free labour?
Yes because some American chump who walked into their office isn't worth the risk of a fine, prosecution and bad publicity. That shit may fly in America where labour laws are stuck in the Industrial Revolution, but not in Australia.
>>
>>19253101
>how the hell do you get experience then?
>work as a technician?
If that's all you're getting offers for, then yes. You're just another engineering graduate, and one who hasn't proven themselves like the others. Why should you be hired for other positions above anyone else?
>>
>>19253101
It's a catch-22, that's why Australia is shit for engineering.

>company has graduate-level position
>advertises it
>requires 5 years relevant industry experience
>no local grads apply
>company says to government gief immigrant plox
>hire 35yo Indian for same salary as graduate
>graduate positions all taken by foreigners
>local graduates can't build a base of industry experience
>don't apply for graduate level jerbs
>circleoflife.jpg
>>
>>19253114
so say I was to work as a technician for 20 years and come back when I was 44 and then reapply as a "graduate" would I have a better chance?

Like being away from Engineering for 20 years to become a technician is that enough "relevant" experience to have a better chance?
>>
>>19253123
You know you can get internal promotions and work your way up once you're a technician, right? If you worked for 20 years as a technician, employers would wonder what the fuck's wrong with you because you're still a technician.
>>
>>19253118
That's why you get (paid) internships and part time jobs while studying.
>>
>>19253126
so you could become an engineer from starting out as a technician?

I mean my goal is to become an engineer or registered engineer (Im not sure how the registration process works in Australia) but would ELECTRICAL SERVICE TECHNICIAN experience be relevant enough to put on your CV so that a graduate Electrical ENGINEERING role would consider hiring you in Australia?
>>
>>19253129
Yeah, I fucked that part up big time. I worked in factories for decent pay (dad is a manager). I can't change the past now I'm stuck with struggling for a little while to get a decent position/foot in the door.
>>
>>19253123
No, but you have to understand it's common for a graduate engineer here to spend 6-18 months after graduation unemployed while applying for every graduate level position that pops up, 70% of which are recruiters resume-farming and big companies advertising positions they intend to fill with an immigrant anyway.

And you hope that eventually you apply for one that's an actual, real, graduate level position, probably in a small company run by a white person, looking for local grads that can actually speak English. Then if you're lucky you get hired and build experience the hard way.

But to be honest I'd say most engineering graduates here never do a day of proper engineering in their life - they end up as project managers or maintenance managers in construction and mining, and shit like that.

There's several major flaws with your plan, but the biggest is the foundational idea that being in Australia makes you any more marketable as a graduate than being anywhere else.
>>
>>19253129
That's the ideal, but paid internships are pretty slim pickings.

Also almost completely unavailable to me, as most have an age or study level bracket on them (i.e. be under 25 or be a first year), and this is my second pass at getting a degree and I'm well over 25.

So, my fall-back plan is plain old nepotism.
>>
>>19253149
I'm prepared for the amount of time it will take to get a role as an engineering graduate. But say that I apply for 10years and in those 10 years of applying I got a job as an electrical technician, would all that "working my up" and electrical technician experience even count for anything toward that engineering graduate role I was applying for?

I'm aware that Australia isn't the cure to all my problems, I just know that the pay there is better no matter what I happen to end up doing, so either way I'd at least be able to pay rent and food working as a construction labourer.. unlike here in NZ.
>>
>>19253174
>NZ
Did you never do shit like Summer of Tech or something? They basically give out summer internships like candy, even to places like Xero and Trade Me, provided you're not a social retard.
>>
>>19253184
No I never did that, also I graduated in 2016 and I do believe they only give out internships to students?

Do they not offer similar programs in Australia?
>>
>>19253197
They give out internships to students over summer and it's existed since 2006 according to their website. They also help people find grad jobs. You were eligible to participate while you were studying, and it may have led you to a job. My brother and his friends all did it and were all offered jobs upon graduation where they worked over summer.

>Do they not offer similar programs in Australia?
No idea, I'm also a kiwi.
>>
>>19253174
Yeah but the cost of living is so much higher. Are you really taking all the variables into consideration here?
>>
>>19253249
well my brother rents a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house for approx 350 a month. Able to provide for him and his family (2 adults, 4 kids) with a 55k salary.

This sounds autistic but I calculated groceries too, which seems to be the same here except the pay for the work there starts at 25-30 an hour as opposed to 17 here for the exact same work I do (construction labourer).

Best friend lives in an apartment for 300 a week, which is a nice place for him and his gf. Something he wasn't able to do here in Auckland where rent starts at something like 400-600 a week with most mid twenty year olds working for $22ish an hour.
>>
>>19253289
Oh my god you're delusional.

>$350 a month

No. Just no.

cf. sharing a modest flat with 2 other people in Sydney $225/wk dollarydoos per person.

Your expectations are sooo far out of line with reality.
>>
>>19253289
Where in Australia do they live? Because you're not going to get rent that low anywhere you're able to get a decent job.
>>
>engineering
>australia

I almost dun goofed there OP but thankfully i saw what a baron wasteland that degree was, especially in Australia. Most of my friends sans 1 person have all failed to obtain graduate positions and they're x500 more intelligent than I am - at least academically.
>>
Companies prefer to do things properly, that means interns get paid and “own” small projects, not just “sit around”.

I think a lot of people expect people to intern doing university summers not afterwards. Afterwards perhaps take a lower level job like tester or apprentice and work up in one or two years.
>>
>>19253300
>$225/wk
>in Sydney

how..?
>>
>>19253444
It's probably a shithole.
>>
not only you are doing it wrong but also completely misunderstood your opening pic

what you should do is go and work as a technician, gather experience and you will be most likely promoted in a year or two
unless actually working is too dirty for you
>>
>>19253300
i think it is 400 sorry something like that, but understand that anything that isn't a hole in the ground and goes at 500 is cheap as shit compared to everything here in NZ. My brother at one point supported a family of 6 on a single income of 55k a year, there were some benefits from the government but literally nothing more than 80 dollars because NZer's cant get benefits or something.

Seriously dude, he lives about 45mins from Perth CBD and my best friend I've known sinec I was 5 years old lives in an apartment at 300 per week 2 bedroom kitchen lounge etc. With casual labouring jobs (the lowest qualification job which I've been working in out with for the last 7 years) starts at 25 dollars at least ranging from 25-33 dollars per hour. I'm pretty sure if you got 40 hours you'd have $1000 before tax and $500 before tax if you only worked 20 hours a week. I will be splitting rent with either my brother or friend meaning I'd only being paying half rent at the most not including my gf who might I add is getting job offers constantly at twice her rate here in NZ.
Im sure we will survive.
>>
>>19253611
Why haven't you moved if it's so great and so easy in Australia then? Especially since you finished uni over a year ago.
>>
>>19253574
i have no worries actully working, i've been doing it for years now. My only fear is that if I work as a electrical technician I'm afraid the experience wont help me or be relevant in pursuing a career in electrical engineering. THATS my ONLY worry.
>>
>>19253616
I've been messing around with my gf travelling etc. not the smartest move but now I'm "ready" to buckle down and achieve my goals.

I don't mean to say it's "easy" in Australia or that everyone deserves success I just mean that it SEEMS in my humble opinion that rent is cheaper and cost of living may be better than here in auckland. That's what 100% of all people in NZ that's ever lived there say
>>
>>19253620
>Auckland
Well there's your problem.
>>
>>19253626
I COMPLETELY agree with you, anon.
>>
>>19253617
ofcourse it will help you, you are qualified, you will have opportunities
>>
>>19253631
very good point, I guess I realize what I need to do now. Thank you everyone.
>>
try to get into a union, friend. i know its difficult but even starting as an apprentice and working your way up would be great. see if anyone has a dad or cousin with a union job who can get you in.
>>
>>19253056
Everyone gets paid a living wage in Oz. So expect sticker shock when you grab food out and about even a coffee...
>>
>>19253056
Did you even jump through the hoops for a work permit? It doesn’t sound like you did... you cannot do that, not in Australia.
>>
>>19253109
Basically this. My internship was unpaid and I was doing real work. No offer of employment because they got 0 funding. Basically you have to work as a slave to graduate college...unless your lucky and get a paid internship
>>
>>19253056
>planning on walking into every engineering firm I see and asking their top engineer

enjoy being arrested for trespassing
>>
>>19255310
Theres no law against going to an office and asking to speak to someone. Its not like hes kicking in their door.
>>
>>19254613
In terms of getting tickets? not yet im sorting it out before I go though. AFAIK NZ citizens are allowed to work in Australia indefinitely and can live there without needing a visa as you recieve an automatic special category visa through your NZ passport. The only thing I probably would need to worry about it a White Card which I can obtain online before I go over and maybe like "working in heights", "confined spaces" etc.
>>
>>19254591
Oh no I completely understand, I'm not saying that Australia is going to be a holiday. I've been slaving over pretty much minimum wage for years now so I'm not afraid of working hard for an honest dollar, I'm just trying to inform people in this thread that everybody I've ever known that's moved to Perth from Auckland has said that it's easier to get your own place, car etc. Unlike here where you pay 600 for rent and make like 700 on a good week.

>>19254567
>but even starting as an apprentice and working your way up would be great

I have literally no problems working my up from the bottom, I'm just wondering that if were to take a job as an electrical technician (which is a fairly attainable job for someone in my situation) and work my up to engineer. Thanks for the advice, friend.

>>19254665
I've already graduated but never did an internship because I'm stupid. I wouldn't even mind doing an internship as a graduate but believe its even harder to get into that position as a gradute.
>>
Apart from what everyone else has said, the job application culture in Australia, apart from the stuff where you get a job by knowing someone, has moved online. Managers mostly don't want to see you in person, despite the fact that it shows initiative/drive, because they can fill vacancies with high efficiency by advertising on job search sites and letting the resumes roll in.
>>
>>19253444
>>19253531
Not a shithole, quite nice, large, renovated apartment in a 70's type inner-west apartment block. Rent split 3 ways + bills additional makes it doable.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.