[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Start with what you do and why you like it, if you don’t mind. It’ll make the thread a little entertaining.
This might be a bit of a read, so bear with me. I’m seeking gainful employment and I’m having a hard time settling on something. I’ve pretty much been a NEET or traveler for the last six years other than some 6-9 month stretches of kitchen work as a dishwasher or prep cook/ line cook/ pizza cook.
My pros are
>I have good knife skills/ safety
>I know food service sanitary rules and regulations, temps, etc.
>I know kitchen talk and won’t massively fuck up (stab someone, break shit, etc) because I’m a newbie, and I know what to listen for and when to help someone
>I have customer service experience
>I have fucking cult leader tier charisma. I’ve never gotten a job online and I always go in and talk my way into one immediately, or just get offered one when I don’t even ask
>I speak well and preform well under pressure, and am very organized
Cons, now this is where shit gets interesting because I’m just picky and prideful.
Cont. in next post
>>
Cons
>I don’t want to see anyone that I know
I’m pretty prideful and I have burned some bridges. I’ve been very happy with the way my life has gone until now and don’t want to be viewed as a wageslave because I have some stupid “image” to maintain. I know that it’s stupid, but I can’t shake these feelings. I also have a LOT of exes, and the boyfriends I took them from. I do not want to deal with that while wearing a fucking hairnet or waiting their tables. So BOH would be preferred if necessary.
>I don’t want to continue in food service
I feel like it’s a huge trap and once you get in, it’s very hard to get out. I’m trying to avoid it if possible.
>I have no education beyond my GED that I got at 16. I took a few community college semesters, and I do study my own interests avidly, but it doesn’t look good on paper.
>other than food service I’m not too handy and can’t really do anything wicked useful. But, I am a quick learner, and am not afraid to admit when I don’t know how to do something. You don’t have to show me how to do something twice.
>I feel uncomfortable in an office environment, I tend to ramble and swear a lot. I’m not a basement dwelling racist sperglord, and I can definitely change that and put a stick up my ass and be professional if need be, but it would take away from my charm and confidence a little.
>>
>>19772234
God damn it, that was supposed to read a little more fluidly. I cocked up the greentext.
>>
tl;dr, huh?
>>
>>19772366
Yea, I'm sorry op, I'm too tired for this
>>
>>19772372
You’re good. I figured some people would at bare minimum post what they do for a living and how they like it, but fuggit.
>>
Enlist in the army as a chef
>>
i'm an insurance agent, and it's challenging and rewarding work with good hours

seeing your pros and cons side by side really seems to make the pros a lot weaker and your struggle makes a lot of sense
if you want to make something of yourself with your skillset, you have to stay at a job longer than 6-9 months. get a few raises and the money to start up your own grand adventure because i get the vibe you don't flourish under a boss

>i don't want to see anyone i know
you have to get over this, at least until you're at the point where you're not avoiding these people, you're just busy on a higher rung of life
>>
>>19772211
>>I have good knife skills/ safety
>>I know food service sanitary rules and regulations, temps, etc.
>>I know kitchen talk and won’t massively fuck up (stab someone, break shit, etc) because I’m a newbie, and I know what to listen for and when to help someone
>>I have customer service experience
>>I have fucking cult leader tier charisma. I’ve never gotten a job online and I always go in and talk my way into one immediately, or just get offered one when I don’t even ask
Congrats ur already more qualified than many foodservice employees. Go apply to places nigga
>>
>>19772411
Haha, I never considered that.
>>19772468
I have actually considered this. A friend’s dad does this, and we vibe because he lives with his kids and wife (three women) and obviously either wanted a son or just a buddy at this point.
I haven’t talked to him too much about the job description, and I think he deals in health insurance. What does your job entail? (If you’re still in the thread). I have ten thousand saved up because I cashed out an index fund that I invested in when I was doing better. I made a good choice, but I got pretty lucky.
I need to read about this.
>>19772478
Not huge on food service, I’m trying to escape the trap. When you work with food it makes it SO much more of a hassle to cook at home because it just isn’t fun. I eat like fucking garbage when I’ve already been cooking for 8 hours.
>>
>>19772552
I could probably get him to take me on as an apprentice. I have plenty of free time and just want to build a new skill set.
Oh, also- I do pretty well under a boss. All of my references are great, aside from places I’ve worked that shut down (who I wouldn’t want to bother).
I have very little patience with people who half ass things, though.
It’s your job. Do the thing. Just whole ass it. If you hate it, you shouldn’t be there.
>>
OP here, if anyone has any advice or the same kind of autism I do, please post.
I’m not crazy desperate, I’m just in a rut and stuck in the same cyclical train of thought.
I’ll probably check up on this in an hour or so if it doesn’t 404. Thanks.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.