[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1526002487658.jpg (23 KB, 224x332)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
My upstairs neighbour has a fat teenage son whose constantly talking over Xbox all day/night (literally non-stop talking from about 6pm-12pm all hours of the night/morning). Even with earplugs it wakes me up.

He doesn't seem to go to school or have a job, so he's quite literally constantly doing this, 24/7, 7 days a week. I've spoken to my upstairs neighbour multiple times, banged on the ceiling at 3 am and even brought it up with our landlord. Nothing changes.

At what point is it reasonable I just open up the power box and turn off the electricity to his room over night?

What other alternatives do you guys advise? This fatass doesn't even pause over mic long enough to let anyone else speak or be having a convo with team mates, he's one of those chuckle fuck faggots screaming "I AM LEGEND THE BEST HURRRHUERHURR" constantly. I imagine I'd be doing his teammates a favor turning off the power as well, if they don't all just have him muted. I'm actually baffled how he hasn't lost his voice.

Also, before anyone suggests, moving out isn't currently a viable option. I quite like this place other than this and quite frankly find the idea of moving out because of some piggy no life teenager a bit much.
>>
>>19878280
>At what point is it reasonable I just open up the power box and turn off the electricity to his room over night?
Never.
>>
>>19878280
>What other alternatives do you guys advise?
Move. But you're not willing to do that, so suck it up. He has the right to be in his apartment and do what he wants, just like you do. It doesn't sound like he's intentionally being loud, just that the building is not that soundproof, so he hasn't really done anything wrong.

Also if you turn the power off, you're more likely to be booted out of your place than they are.
>>
>>19878280
stick some of that sound foam shit to your ceiling, ,that might help.

or just confront him when he takes out the trash or something
>>
Buy noise insulation panels or curtains and put them on your roof and walls.

If you're unsure if you're allowed to install them ask landlord's permission.
>>
>>19878290
I should clarify - he's scream talking and there's a sound barrier between us. I could not hear the previous tenants before them at all. I'm pretty sure I have a right to not have loud noise disturbances between the hours of 3-6am ?

I've been thinking about recording it and sending that to the landlord so they realize how bad it actually is, as for the first month of it happening I thought he and his mother were having mildly abusive fights (before bothering to actually listen and realize it was him playing Xbox)
>>
>>19878305
that's probably the best thing to do in your situation
>>
File: r-lee-ermey-1.jpg (204 KB, 1625x909)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>3 am
It's the right time to call sheriff Hoyt for that dipshit...
>>
>>19878305
Put another sound barrier. If it doesn't fix issue put third sound barrier.
>>
Wait for the fucker to come out, then grab him and kick the shit out of him. Scare him in some way
>>
>>19878295
>confront
I honestly would have tried talking to him politely face to face, but every time I've even tried knocking on the door to talk to his mother he hides. If the doorbell rings or anything like that he pretends not to be home, or screeches at his mom to get it even if you can hear he's near the door. So I think he's too socially autistic. I have no clue how this isn't a problem for the mom when she's sleeping, but from the spoiled yelling he does at her and spazzes I've heard him throw I assume she just accepts his bratty behavior.

>>19878298

The extra soundproofing actually doesn't seem like a bad idea. My landlord assured me the place had a sound barrier when i moved in and I wouldn't hear anything (and I didn't until this kid moved in with his mom). So maybe they'd be better persuaded to enforce him being quiet in the wee hours if I asked if they'd help pay for additional soundproofing... (I don't think any landlord ever would but if they see it as that big of a problem maybe they'll actually do a bit more?)

>>1987833
If only that were a possible reality lmao

I honestly wish he wasn't just playing Xbox and it was him and his mom arguing like I originally thought so I could reasonably contact the police lmao. These neighbours have been absolute shit heads since they moved in, but the sleep interference is what has really started to wear on me
>>
>>19878347
I'm so sleep depraved from this little shit I've definitely imagined the scenario. Of course outside of my edgy imaginings via lack of sleep I know that
1) fuck going to jail
2) even though he's a degenerate fatass with no life and possibly no future, he probably doesn't deserve the mental/physical scarring over his selfish teenage Xbox screeching
....probably
3) the little shit never leaves his house. He is literally just on Xbox 24/7. In some ways, when I'm not pissed he's keeping me up, I feel pity that this literally must be his only escape from his disgusting existence -- Xbox is probably the only place he feels competent or admired by literally anyone; even if that is potentially a delusion perpetuated by worthless achievements and game scores

At the least I can feel the immature sadistic satisfaction that his life must fucking suck, at least until I implement this quadruple sound barrier save-up-my-egg-cartons method being advised itt
>>
>>19878290
Not after 8pm, make a noise complaint you retard
>>
File: tcm-rle2.jpg (54 KB, 504x333)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>19878385
>I've definitely imagined the scenario.
First try the sheriff's assistance ;)
>>
>>19878416
If you read the admittedly tl;Dr of an op I mention that I've made multiple complaints already

>>19878420
Where do I into the number for the cast of tcm?
>>
>>19878280
Seems like a lot of work, I'd just move, anything else like wifi scrambling, disruption with speakers, noise cancelling, noise triggered power disruption seems like it'd be technical and possible illegal or just not work
>>
>>19878280
>24/7, 7 days a week
You seem retarded. Why the fuck should I help you if you can't even figure out how to fix such a simple problem yourself.
>>
Fuck him op, litteraly
>>
>>19878280
Just play the same game and cyberbully him
>>
Beat the shit out of him and remember who is the alpha male in charge.
>>
>>19878280
Play L O U D music non-stop. Leave the house and just let that shit blare.
>>
>>19879668
Yes do this shit
>>
>>19878280
Contact police and child proteticve service. Landlords don't care. You have a right to sleep. Don't move. Kid crossed the line with his brutish behaviour, so he has to bear the consequences. Might do him good in the long run.
>good neighbours accept some noise, but good neighbours don't keep you up all night
>>
>>19880081
PS: Forget about soundproofing, it will never be good enough.
>>
>>19880092
PPS: Write three letters (keep copies) with some blabla about "legal consequences" first. Might help.
>>
>>19878280
Legally, your landlord leant really have to do anything. Check your local noise ordinance laws.
If he’s outside of the defined limits, you can call the cops.

But if he’s within the limits, or your city has no noise ordinance laws, you’re SOL because there’s nothing really you can do but try to talk to the mom or move out.
>>
>At what point is it reasonable I just open up the power box and turn off the electricity to his room over night?

If you'd like to be evicted, sued, or put in jail, feel free to do this.

I'd start by doing two things.

1. Be prepared to find another place to live. I don't know if you're ignorant and don't know the meaning of the word "viable" or if you are foolish and have put yourself into a position where moving somewhere else is actually not possible. If it's the latter, your priority should be to fix that.

2. Research landlord/tenant law where you live.

Most jurisdictions based on common law provide a tenant with an implied right to "quiet enjoyment" of rented or leased property, and depending where you are, there may be an explicit duty. The term "quiet enjoyment" is often defined only by case law, but for a residential tenant, it often literally means that you have the right to a quiet environment at reasonable times.

However, since it sounds like you've only contacted your landlord about this once (why is that?), you haven't given your landlord any real notice that there's a serious, ongoing problem.

At this point since trying to resolve this with your neighbor alone isn't possible, you should be contacting your landlord every single time your neighbor is making noise that disturbs your sleep and wakes you, and you should be keeping a log of when this happens.

(You should also be keeping a written log of every contact you have with your landlord with a summary of the reason for that contact and your landlord's response.)

If your upstairs neighbors' behavior doesn't change after a reasonable amount of time, I would put a demand in writing that the landlord do something about this tenant with a copy of the relevant logs, and mail it certified.

(continued)
>>
>>19880661
(continued)

What your landlord does depends on what kind of person they are.

People are often stupid and lazy. Just like everyone else, landlords generally don't like dealing with someone who is a pain-in-the-ass. Since you are the one complaining, you are going to be seen as a pain, especially when you send something in writing.

What your landlord SHOULD do is try to resolve the noise problem, including evicting your neighbor if that turns out to be necessary. What they might decide though is to get rid of you so that the source of complaints stop.

This is shortsighted, as a noisy tenant who does not correct their behavior will be a source of complaints from anyone who replaces you, but there are a lot of foolish people in the world.

This is why you need to be prepared to move.
>>
Hack his wireless and call his mum a nigger
>>
>>19878280
You said you're the neighbor below so get the neighbors who live next to him and above him to all sign a complaint letter together and give it to the landlord. Maybe group action will do something.
>>
summer is almost over, he’ll stop soon enough
>>
>>19878305
Wake your landlord... what about the coppers?
>>
>>19878280
Get a HEPA filter. It produces a white noise that drowns out a lot of racket. There are also YouTube videos like 10 hours white noise you could blare to drown it out.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.