[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1510014485304.png (703 KB, 645x639)
703 KB
703 KB PNG
So I've got this friend, who's my age (27), and has done effectively nothing with his life. He's had one job ever, for less than six months, and has lived at home his whole life. He's been living off of random money he gets, and money that his parents were saving up for a college fund that they just ended up giving him, because he never went to college. Probably very soon though, he's gonna get kicked out. His parents are selling their house and splitting up, and neither wants him hanging around anymore. Supposedly when the house sells, he's going to be getting a cut of it, like $20k+.

My friend has proposed to me that in order to keep him from being homeless, I co-sign a lease for him for some cheap apartment. He'll supposedly be able to pay for it, he just won't have a job or credit to sign it by himself.

I'm well off financially, I have a full-time job and make $80k+bonus, I have exceptional credit, etc. Should I do this? How can this fuck me up if I cosign then he doesn't pay or something?
>>
>>19883607
Well he fucks your credit if he doesn't pay they'll also be looking at you for the rent he hasn't paid, you worked this hard too have nice things and now are gonna throw it all away for a friend who is just lazy you gave no reason why he can't work
>>
>>19883638
I just don't want to see him homeless, he's been my friend for like 20 years, and he's got serious depression and anxiety issues that his parents never got him help for. Part of the reason he doesn't work is because he's a lazy shit, but part of it is because of that shit

I would want to set up very strict rules around this, like him proving to me he could pay, him getting his driver's license and finding a job etc. I just don't know if it would work. I don't want this to be more than a year long thing. I just don't want him to be homeless, what else can I do
>>
I have been a gambler for 10 years.
Raised in vegas and gambling helped me through the recession.
The point of me saying that to establish some credibility with you.
Anyways this sounds like a bad bet to make.
I've made bad bets that paid off and most don't.

I dont recommend you help him. Dont gamble with your credit and THAT much money.
>>
>>19883658
Here,
In conclusion dont gamble more then you could afford to lose.
>>
>>19883607
Well he can pay his years rent in advance and does not have to involve you...
>>
>>19883685
Do people allow you to do that?
>>
>>19883607
You are gonna get fucked over.
>>
>>19883607
Help him get a job for retards, teach him how to cook and manage spending instead. He either is going to grow up instantly or starve.
>>
>>19883656
>I just dont want to see him homeless
When the chips are on the table he'll have to get his shit together, you being an enabler is probably the worst choice for him right now.
If shit crashes and he actually ends up homeless it just shows he's not worth being friends with.
>>
>>19883607
Do not cosign. Do not.
Your friend is a victim of layabout-enablers and poor parenting. But he is also a fuckup who needs to get his shit together.
If he supposedly has money to pay for the loan on a small apartment, there is no reason he can't rent a small apartment. There is no need for burdening friends.
Be aware, you are being used. Your friend is not a friend.
>>
>>19883607
DON'T COSIGN YOU IDIOT. This is how Kaiji started. Do you want to be stuck playing ridiculous gambling games for life to pay off the massive debt he's going to saddle you with?
>>
Do NOT cosign, don’t let a friend drag you down. You’re not doing him any favours either, sooner or later he has to learn.
>>
>>19883656
Sit down with him over drinks and be real man, ya almost 30
Talk about how this does look like a risk from your end and while helping him is close to heart, you can't end up co-signing a lease that he can't pay for.

Watch it with cheap places, too. Slumlords will fuck you up way harder than 100$ extra in payments per head, because they will leave actual issues unsolved and use stopgap measures to basically tack a place into being held together.
>>
>>19883730
Of course they do. The entire point that prevents them from renting to you is that you wouldn’t be able to pay the rent, so if you hand them the entire lease amount, that solves that issue...
>>
>>19883607
if you really wanna help him.
dont give him a fish, teach him how to fish.
also dont forget that you cant help a man who doesnt wanna be help. Theres too much Jerrys in this world and you shouldnt tolerate them. This would just take a toll on you and letting him get away with it wouldnt help him at all.
>>
>>19883607
He has not proven that he is responsible, he has family and they're not cosigning so alarm bells should be ringing right now. He's not employed yet somehow thinks he'll be able to pay for an apartment? Come on dude I know he's probably an all right friend but seriously DO NOT DO THIS.
>>
I've had a hard time finding jobs where I could work from home that aren't scambait for years. Is there an ovr or programs to help find jobs for underqualified people get qualification and secure work because that 20k supposedly goes pretty quick if you're not completely retarded
>>
Have a talk with him but don't give him anything. There has to be time when his situation really hits home for him or he'll never do what he needs to

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.