[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: jesse sleeping.jpg (128 KB, 666x500)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
Sleepy edition

Discord:
https://discord.gg/xQbvHZN

Always looking for more/better info to add for OP. Feel free to reply to OP with suggestions
Here's a bunch of links no one will look at
Food & Nutrition
>http://catinfo.org/docs/Feeding%20Your%20Cat%20-%204%20pages%2011-13.pdf
>http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/22/the-best-food-for-your-cat/
Outside Enrichment
>https://catiospaces.com
>http://www.adventurecats.org/backcountry-basics/train-your-cat-to-walk-on-a-leash/
Behavioral problems
>https://thecatsite.com/threads/inappropriate-peeing-problems-answered.9563/
>http://www.catvets.com/public/PDFs/PracticeGuidelines/FelineBehaviorGLS.pdf
Kitten care
>http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2137&aid=912
>>
File: 1490644304932.jpg (126 KB, 604x516)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>2494675
pls giv belly
>>
File: IMG_0675.jpg (153 KB, 1111x597)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
My cat died
>>
>>2494763
F
>>
My cat thinks my hands are toys. what do?
>>
>>2494838
>implying you're not a toy to be used
>>
File: 20170810_230641.jpg (3.53 MB, 3024x4032)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB JPG
>>2494703
Like this?

On a more related note
Is rapid breathing normal when around people? I would say the cat was nervous/scared of the person but that person is me and he breathes normal all day but when he lays next to me and wants me to pet him he purrs and starts to breath rapidly
I know purring can be a way of them dealing with stress but that would be self induced considering HE COMES TO ME
the fuck is wrong with my cat, do i stress him and comfort him at the same time?
when he falls asleep next to me after some petting his breathing goes back to normal
>>
>>
Update the discord invite.

http://discord.gg/3xGbBG2
>>
>>2494868
That is a very nice kitty. Does he get grumpy when woken up?
>>
>>2495023
Nope he does kitty things like yawn, stretch amd will either lay there to go back to sleep
Or
Get up and find somewhere else to lay down if he wants to keep sleeping
>>
>>2495025
I wish I could help you with your question. Give him a cuddle for me
>>
>>2495032
Will do and thanks anyways
It's hard telling shit apart online, so many conflicts "facts"
I'm completely new to cats and didn't know I'd own one but this little fella walked into my life and won my ass over
So whatever knowledge I'm slowly gaining is coming from me reading things and observing them or them turning out to be complete bs
>>
>>2494868
cats breathe heavily when they're excited too. he probably likes you and gets worked up over it. sounds like he's happy purring and not stress purring.
>>
I've just brought a new kitten into my apartment. He is 5 months old. I have another male cat that is 1.5 years old. They are both fixed. Old kitten will hiss at the door where new kitten is being kept and will hiss at me if I walk out and smell like new cat. How long will this last? How long should I plan on waiting before I can introduce them? I will do some scent swapping and let them switch spaced before then.
>>
>>2495070
There can be a lot of good info on here. As you may know /an/ is a slow board so it might be a while before you get any responses. What's his name?
>>
File: Gnar_0.jpg (406 KB, 1215x717)
406 KB
406 KB JPG
>>2495222
Oh no m8
I wasn't saying the info on here is bad
I was directing my judgements at the stuff you find online like when using a search engine
I'm cool with this being a slow board
It's cool cause you always get to see replies
I can post something in the morning and if I'm busy come back at night and read what was said
His name is Gnar
Inb4 assfaggots
It was that or Bubsy and I like how Gnar rolls off the tongue
>>
>>2495234
That's ok m8 i wasn't insinuating that at all. You're doing a good thing looking after him. How did he come into your life?
>>
>>2495234
The g is silent yeah?
>>
https://youtu.be/A6Jp9pG8tZ4
>>
File: Gnar.jpg (3.9 MB, 3000x2233)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB JPG
>>2495328
I was out drinking with some friends and while we said our goodbyes outside the bar parking lot he approached us and started rubbing his face all over my leg looking like a skelly cat hybrid
I told myself "i will try and pick him up and put him in my truck. if he doesn't scratch me I'll take him home, feed him and try and get him into a shelter tomorrow morning"
Fed him that night and realized what a sweet little guy he was so I decided to keep him
I've always liked looking at cats but all my interactions with them have been either getting bit or cats that hate being pet
this little guy loves following me around and getting pet and has yet to scratch me so I kept him
>>2495330
Yeah it is

pics on the left are from the night I brought him in
right pics are just random pics taken throughout the last couple of weeks I've had him
>>
Guys I started playing Mozart for my cat and I think she likes it.

Is she secretly an opera geek?
>>
>>2495450
I played her some la ci darem la mano and she went nuts boys. I might have to buy a speaker
>>
File: sleepy samson.jpg (52 KB, 360x640)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Rate my sleepy kitter
>>
My kot always comes to my bed early in the morning while i'm still sleeping, finds the comfiest spot, preferably in my armpit, curls up and starts purring like an autistic train. Does this mean he likes me? Pic related is him
>>
>>2495623
Looks comfy.
>>
>>2495720
My cat does this sometimes too.

It means he LOVES you, and wants to cuddle and feel safe while he gets some zzz's
>>
>>2495370
What a sweet boy he clearly loves you. I think if you look after him he'll look after you :). As I said before it's very nice of you to take care of him
>>
>>2495720
Very nice kitty
>>
>>2494675
I recently was told to change my cat's diet from mainly dry food (IAMS Kitten dry food) to wet food by my vet. But I noticed since I altered his diet, that his urine has changed color to being more green. Is this normal? I called the vet's office and they said it takes a little bit of time for the transition from dry food to wet food with kittens but I'm still a little skeptical about it. Also he seems more lethargic after the switch as well.
>>
File: IMG_20170810_114515030.jpg (1.1 MB, 4032x2268)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
My cat went missing yesterday, being up all night looking for him, only stopped when the rain got to heavy for me to be able to see properly. Woke up this morning and went searching again but no luck.
Seriously, found a fuckton of cats and dogs, at least four drug selling spots, one witchcraft spot in the middle of the woods and heard some really freaky /x/ related noises, but not a clue of the cat. Feels bad...
Pic related, he being lazy and weird as usual...
>>
File: cat1.gif (490 KB, 300x257)
490 KB
490 KB GIF
>>
>>2495835
That cat was about to attack that dude
He unknowingly saved his ass from some scratches
>>
>>2495818
Tell me about the forest witchcraft honorary /x/phile
>>
>>2495812
Please respond.
>>
>>2495951
You should obviously listen to whatever we say and ignore your vet
Imagine if I was a dick and decided to give you shitty info
Listen to the vet jackass
Unless you went to some rinkydink shit hole you should be ok
>>
>>2495951
>>2495812
>more green
What the hell brand are you feeding him?
>>
Found a starving cat outside with no collar and it followed me inside.

Wat do
>>
>>2495969
Mainly with the wet food? Fancy Cats and Purina 2.9 oz stuff. Vet told me to give him one can in the morning as his breakfast and one can later in the evening as night. He also advised for me to use his dry food as treats and not to give him more than 10 pieces a day if at all possible. Before his neutering surgery and the change in diet, his urine was normal clear/light yellowish when clumping up in his litter box but now it has mainly a green color to it. I stopped feeding him dry food for his main meals a little over a month ago.
>>
>>2495979
Feed him, vaccinate and neuter him. Then let him sleep on your bed. He's gonna be a good kitty
>>
>>2495981
Oh, this may be why. Fancy Feast and most Purina formulas are nutritionally very low-tier. Try switching him to Taste of the Wild, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, I and Love and You, shit like that. Won't break your bank but is a big step up nutritionally.

You can save money by buying in larger 5.5oz cans and just keeping it in a tupperware dish between meals.
>>
>>2495989
Fancy cats and most Purina stuff are that lacking? How about 9 Lives? Or any other recommendations? But I'm guessing your saying since they lack the amount of calories or proteins/amino acids, that's why his urine has turned green? Also he seems to have a HUGE issue with any wet food that has gravy sauce on it, he refuses to it.
>>
>>2495988
Too late. He opened the back door by himself and left. I fed him though so he'll probably come back
>>
File: IMG_20171002_042909.jpg (168 KB, 1161x1185)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
My kit cat
>>
My cat's been depressed these last few days and does little but sleep around in one or two different places all day. How do I make my cat stop being a sad cunt, /an/? He used to be super energetic and would greet me in the morning. Now he does little but glance at me from his hidey hole before going back to sleeping for another 16 hours. How do I make him stop being a sad cunt, /an/?
>>
>>2496064
Whoops, one too many sad cunts there. Welp.
>>
>>2496064
Possible health issue. Vet checkup.
>>
My mom keeps stealing my cats! I have three cats. They are all able to go outside as I live in a very cat friendly neighborhood. Two of my cats have taken to walking to my mom's house, which is just down the street, and hanging out in her yard or even in the house with her cats!

At first it was just one but now it's two. How do I keep them from going over there? They would be unhappy if they were not allowed outside. But I am unhappy that I have to go to my mom's house to see my own cats!
>>
>>2495992
Check out the ingredients sometime:
>Fancy Feast Classic Tender Beef & Chicken Feast
>Meat By-products*, Beef Broth, Beef, Chicken, Artificial* And Natural Flavors, Calcium Phosphate, Guar Gum*, Added Color*, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Magnesium Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Sodium Nitrite (To Promote Color Retention), Calcium Pantothenate, (long list of vitamins and minerals)

>9 Lives Meaty Pate Poultry Supper
>Meat By-Products*, Turkey, Poultry By-Products*, Water Sufficient For Processing, Brewers Rice*, Guar Gum*, Potassium Chloride, Carrageenan, Magnesium Sulfate, Caramel Color*, Salt, Titanium Dioxide (Color)*, (list of vits/mins), Taurine, Choline Chloride, Red 3*.

Problem ingredients asterisked. Full of artificial colors and wtf?/vague/by-product ingredients. I've seen animals fed foods with high coloration shit some weird colors, the same probably applies to urine. Compare to

>Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Adult Wet Cat Food
>CHICKEN, CHICKEN LIVER, CHICKEN BROTH, TURKEY BROTH, SALMON, TURKEY, DUCK, DRIED EGG PRODUCT, WHOLE GRAIN BROWN RICE, FLAXSEED, OATMEAL, CARROTS, PEAS, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SALT, CASSIA GUM, XANTHAN GUM, TAURINE, APPLES, CRANBERRIES, DRIED KELP, (VITAMINS & MINERALS) YUCCA SCHIDIGERA EXTRACT, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, PARSLEY.

Still has some shit cats don't really benefit from (oatmeal, flaxeed) but no artificial colors or sketchy meat sources. Also notice how much farther down the ingredient list weird ingredients like gum (which is present in a lot of canned cat food for some reason) are.

I can probably come up with some more recs. What's your price limit like?
>>
>>2496081
I don't really have a price limit but appreciate the information. In the short hand due to my lack of a car, I've been just thinking about getting some 5.5 oz Friskies cans of wet food for the short term. How do Friskies rank compared to Fancy Feast and other Purina brands? Blue Buffalo good?
>>
Anon whose cat had probably had pancreatitis here. I had to spend about a day feeding him baby food from a spoon to get him to eat anything, but then he turned a corner and seemed to recover over night. Now he's eating normally and seemingly completely healthy. He made it :3
>>
Realistically what kind of relationship can I hope to develop with a cat? I know it depends on the breed and personality of each individual cat, but is what's the closest relationship between cat and human ever recorded and of what nature? Is it real friendship? Do they think of us a siblings? Parents? Maybe even see us as their own babies?

Or are the dog memers out there right and they just think us as their personal food dispenser and nothing more?
>>
Any of you anons have experience with cats having idiot bladder, medically known as feline idiopathic cystitis?
>>
>>2496104
>closest relationship between cat and human ever recorded
i don't think anyone's recorded this lmao

i think most cats view their owners as being similar to their mothers. many of them will mewl at their people in the way kittens do to their mother, but don't typically do to other cats. in any case, cats definitely enjoy their relationship with people and will bond with you over time. your cat would probably be happy to see you when you come home, enjoy playing and cuddling with you, groom you, and sleep with you. it's very much a relationship more than you being a source of food.
>>
>>2496000
What a cutie
>>
>>2496104
My cat is my best friend. I think food has very little to do with our relationship. While she does get extra cuddly around food time, she also likes to just chill and sleep by me, and loves playing with me.

She always waits by the door when I leave. Some people say that's just the cat guarding from intruders, but she only does it when I'm not home, not when I'm sleeping or somewhere else.

I don't know. All I know is I come home and she's extremely happy to see me and it's literally the best time of the day for me
>>
>>2496096
Ya did it champ
>>
>>2496104
My sister's cat won't come into the house unless she carries him in, he also waits outside the house for her to come back home and greets her by jumping into her arms every single time. He is also always open to be hugged and petted, never scratches your hands, never hisses at other cats unless it's some nigger cat trying to cause trouble and if you're sick or lonely he comes over to you.

One kitty she rescued from the street had to get her tail amputated because it was ran over by the neighbor's Humvee. After the recovery she became the most affective kitty I've seen in my life.
>>
>>2496170
She lost her entire tail or just most of it?
>>
>>2496111
He's adorable but emotionally abusive
>>
>>2496104
My cat growing up was my best friend. She slept with me every night except sometimes in the summertime (my room's the hottest in the house, so I didn't blame her), followed me around the house, and had a special excited meow she only made when I'd walk into the room. When she got older and more tired she was always cuddled against my side in bed while I was on my laptop. I miss her terribly.
>>
>>2496227
It's always the hot cats that are the sassy ones
>>
>>2496261
He's got a cattitude but dammit if he ain't mine
>>
>>2495818
I've been there. My faggot cat has gone away for days sometimes. Hope yours returns soon.
>>
File: IMG_20170929_200820888.jpg (1.44 MB, 2592x1944)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
My kitty
>>
File: IMG_4143.jpg (875 KB, 1920x1280)
875 KB
875 KB JPG
>Amputated tail
>Massively clipped ear
>Clubbed paw with dislocated toes
He's an ugly guy, but he's mine.
>>
>>2496534
>Massively clipped

Stop making him self conscious! That's a normal ear tag.

He's beautiful
>>
File: IMG_4243.jpg (817 KB, 1920x1280)
817 KB
817 KB JPG
>>2496535
Nah, it's pretty bad.
>>
>>2496545
Very cute kot
>>
>>2496551
I think he was cuter when he still had his tail.
>>
File: 20170115_115511.jpg (2.97 MB, 4128x2322)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB JPG
>>2496534
He doesn't look ugly. He looks handsome
>>
>>2496545
My cat has a tipped ear like that, pretty much at the same location. I think it gives her character.

You have a cute cat, he looks like he's been through some shit, that doesn't make him ugly
>>
>>2496545
very cute rabbit
>>
My cat keeps whining and I have no idea why. If I let her in my room she whines at the door right after, if I follow her she'll go downstairs, if I just kick her out she'll sit at the door whining. She has food, water, and is about as energetic as usual
>>
My cat used to play with toys and roll around all the time. They got fleas but the fleas are gone now. They still have some scabs from scratching so much and wont play with anything anymore. They just look at it for a second and just sit there now. When the scabs are healed will they go back to normal?
>>
>>2496894
Also she's spayed before that comes up
>>
>>2496381
Looks like the cat I had that went missing :(
Very cute cat
>>
>>2496894
>>2496896
Also also this has been going on 3~ days, any idea that isn't just "take her to a vet"?
>>
File: reyey.jpg (179 KB, 2048x1152)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>2496895
Here is a pic of kitty
>>
>>2496894
it's bored. i have to kick my cat outside at night otherwise it will just run around the house and mak noises.
>>
>>2496903
It's not that, if she's bored she'll either find something to play with or sprint around my house if I'm not already playing with her. Even if I try to play with her in my room she'll still want to leave fairly quick
>>
>>2496894
My cat meows at me everytime I sit on my computer. Even if I get off and sit down next to her she just lays there.

She just hates me being on the computer. Maybe your cat hates you being in that room
>>
>>2496918
It's only started within the last few days
>>
So a stray cat just gave birth to kittens this morning in our garage. The stray cat won't eat the placenta and has basically it to rot. This is attracting flies, which have laid maggots onto on the kitten, eating away at its flesh.

Should I do something or let it be? The stray cat is question is notoriously moronic, so if I act right now to dispose of the placenta and clean the kittens, they might still die anyways.
>>
>>2496922
If you clean them up, they might still die. But if you leave them how they are, they probably will die.
>>
>>2496922
>Should I attempt to help these cats or just let them die a painful death because they might die anyway
I don't know if you're trolling but jesus christ
>>
does petsmart sell decent canned food? i cant tell by their online selection

cat eats up petcos soulistic but i dont think its ok to be feeding him shit with tuna all the time. unless it is?
>>
>>2497003
The only quality canned food they sell is Nature's Variety
>>
>>2497005
I thought instinct was good too
Source on it being bad, the ingredients seem fine
>>
>>2495997
Opened the door by himself?
He’s a cat burglar me thinks.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1507205629940.jpg (94 KB, 720x974)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
My cat is 16 years old. She is active, healthy and goes outside regurarly. This means she will never die, right?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1507205668143.jpg (90 KB, 720x1280)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>
File: FB_IMG_1507205605771.jpg (54 KB, 720x402)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>
File: FB_IMG_1507205617596.jpg (68 KB, 720x405)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>
File: FB_IMG_1507205650023.jpg (87 KB, 720x1286)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>
File: FB_IMG_1507205641529.jpg (110 KB, 720x1280)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>
File: FB_IMG_1507205673192.jpg (57 KB, 720x405)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>
File: FB_IMG_1507205608909.jpg (70 KB, 720x402)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>
>>2495370
aww what a beauty :)
>>
>>2496000
those big ol eyes!
also nice trips
>>
File: 6ZbH2Z2i.jpg (107 KB, 682x787)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
My two Siamese cats love to chew on stuff.
They'll destroy toys in seconds.
They're past the teething stage so it's not that - is there any cat friendly chew toys I could get them?
>>
>See two stray kittens in the middle of the road
>grab two of them
>one of them is clearly the runt of the litter
>take them to the vet, feed them, etc
>one keeps growing and doing better
>starts dewormer on a friday
>runt isn't taking it well, schedule a vet appointment on Monday morning
>the runt passes away while I'm at work two hours after I see him last (had him scheduled for the vet at 10, work let me go)
>this was a week ago
>decided to keep the other kitten since then instead of giving it to a friend
>find a picture of the two of them when I first brought them home
>tear up at seeing the one that passed away

I feel like I've done something horrible and that I should've done more
>>
>>2494838
Legit Answer? Hit him. Like an adult cat does to a kitter. It's nature.
>>
>>2497304
This
It doesn't have to be a hard hit either
Just a slight smack on the nose/head
BUT! Make sure you do it while it's bitting you, make it connect "biting big cat, get smacked". Otherwise it'll just think you hit it for no reason.
>>
>>2494675

How do I stop my cat from being terrorized by other cats? He sleeps in a barn and the barn doors are pretty much always open so other cats think they can come in and piss all over the place. Now our cat is whining all the time and even afraid to go to the attic. Do I just call animal control?
>>
>>2495370
Good looking kot. Did you take him to the vet to get him checked out? Has he been neutered?
>>
File: 20171005_095734.jpg (3.58 MB, 4032x3024)
3.58 MB
3.58 MB JPG
>>2497338
Oh yeah
The following morning after I got him I took him to get fixed, got all his shots and dewormed
Kinda pissed me off though because I requested that they check him for any external parasite which they said he was clean and in their defense he was it's just that I found out he had ear mites a couple of weeks later
Granted the infestation was just starting when I found out about it so I can "sorta" understand why they didn't spot it.
He's up to date on his shots now though, chipped and slowly gaining weight.
Here he is right now
>>
>>2497345
That's a solid friend you've got there, man. Glad he's getting better.
>>
>>2496299
Thanks Anon, we found it, put a photo of it on a school nearby thinking the kids might have seen something on the street, one girl called saying a cat just like the one in the pic was hidding on her garage, poor thing was scared as fuck, but we brought it back and now he is ok again.
>>2495926
Not much to say, found it in the morning, just a lot of saint statues, candles, some cloth and spirits (the drinking kind) arranged near a tree and surrounded by rocks, typical work of macumba, no dead chicken though so it's probably not being used for heavier stuff.

The noises were at night in a different stop, it's weird, it was raining and there no one around, yet i kept hearing steps on the grass and whispers, went in the direction with the flashlight, nothing there, not even something that could sound like steps from the rain drops, went back looking for the cat, started hearing the same shit from the same spot, came back, nothing... I was stressed as hell though, my mom was crying because of the missing cat and i had being for hours in the rain at night so i probably wasn't in my best state of mind to figure the actual source.
>>
>inb4 faggot, peta, etc
>inb4 anthropomorphizing autist
>inb4 they aren't people, asshole[spoiler] That was addressed in the previous inb4, anon.[/spoiler]
I get it, I get it. All the same, hear me out and give me some feedback.

I get the ethics of spaying and neutering from the macro level. S&N is considered good because of the overpopulation of cats and dogs and is a way to both keep the quantity of animals down while at the same time, hopefully, improving the quality of their lives by finding a greater percentage of them a home. But how about the micro level? How does S&N effect individual dogs and cats? In the short term it's a painful procedure that is not necessary for the biological continuance. On the long term, well, I'd be pissed if I had to go through life with no balls.
>>
>>2497373
They behave better, are more relaxed, and make better pets when spayed and neutered.

It's like a lobotomy except not. So yeah, it's completely justified.
>>
>>2497373
It is nore cruel to have a cat who's not fixed but is also not mating. Have you ever seen a cat in heat? It's not a pretty picture. Imagine being the horniest you've ever been but not being able to relieve yourself. That's what it's like for a cat.

Males also are much more aggressive and get in fights and mark their territory and all of that.

Cats are much more relaxed when they don't have those crazy hormones flowing through their body.
>>
Ok found this kitten in front of my house crying after a really long rainy night and I want to adopt her, but I have some questions. First, is it legal for me to take care of her? And second, should I bathe her? I heard one shouldnt bathe kitten because their skin is still sensitive and they cant regulate temperature well, but she has a lot of mud in her paws and belly.
>>
>>2497400
Just take her to the vet and make sure she's not chipped, also would be good to get her checked up and make sure she doesn't have any diseases
>>
>>2497402
Like how much is it?
>>
>>2496000

Cute kitty :D

that rug though...
>>
File: 20171005_120342.jpg (1.39 MB, 4032x3024)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>2497356
He's a very good friend
Good little guy I think he'll he the first and last cat I own, he's just so well behaved that I won't be able to go back
>>
>>2497407
Depends on the vet. Mine was like $80 for a checkup after adoption, that included poop sampling.

If you're going to adopt a cat, you need to understand the costs. Care, including litter, food, and vet bills can cost up to $2000 a year
>>
>>2497439
Yeah, I did my research and found a coupon for a free first check for any animal in VCA.

Oh and also its pretty awesome how she already do her needs in the sandbox. I didn't know kittens had that instinct, I thought it was pure training,
>>
>>2497427
How can your cat sleep upside-down?
>>
>>2497271
Just let them chew on straws.
>>
People that leave their cats outside 24/7 are the fucking worst.

Can't they just leave them in a room?
>>
>>2497481
Easy
His tree is bolted to the roof and when he acts out I'll tie him to it and leave him there
After 7 hours of crying and yowling he'll pass out and sleep like a baby
>>
File: IMG_4276.jpg (897 KB, 1920x1280)
897 KB
897 KB JPG
Finally got a picture of his stupid looking foot. He's not spreading it or anything. That's just it relaxed and normal.
>>
File: IMG_4288.jpg (840 KB, 1920x1280)
840 KB
840 KB JPG
And a comparison to his other paw.
>>
>>2497300
Vet tech here. I used to work at a humane society and honestly, young kittens are just really good at dying. Sometimes we'd do everything medically possible for them and they still just wouldn't make it for reasons we couldn't discern. Sometimes they'd seem to be doing fine but would totally crash one day and couldn't be saved. We even had a specific category in the computer system for these deaths - "failure to thrive". It's just a thing that happens and there's nothing anybody can really do about it.

It's okay and natural to feel sad, but don't blame yourself. Chances are extremely good it still would have died even if rushed immediately to a clinic, and it definitely would have if you hadn't picked it up off the road. You did right by those kittens. Runt knew love and safety with you before he died, and that matters.
>>
>>2497345
Ah. Vet tech here again. Ear mites are microscopic; we don't test for them unless we see reason to (itching, thick black debris in ears). If it was the beginning of the infestation they probably were just trying to save you money by not doing an ear swab for mites they didn't have reason to test for.

>>2497400
>>2497439
The first year of a kitten or puppy's life is always the most expensive due to the necessity of vaccine series, spay/neuter and deworming. FVRCP is a series of 3-4 shots, rabies at 16 weeks; they're about $20-$30 each depending on where you go. FeLV if you're planning to let her go outdoors unsupervised (don't). Most vets will encourage FeLV/FIV testing, which is technically optional but very good information to have... $30ish. A lot of areas will have low-cost spay/neuter and vaccine clinics where you can get shots greatly discounted or even free. Flea/tick/ear mite meds are ~$15 for shit that actually works. Deworming is cheap provided they haven't picked up coccidia or tapeworms.

You can bathe the kitten, she's not so young that you have to worry about temperature. Do dry and keep her warm after, though.

>>2497660
What the fuck. 10/10, would stick fingertips in between and tickle until he slanted his ears at me in annoyance.
>>
File: 4243904573209.jpg (59 KB, 720x960)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
my kitty cat
>>
so a cat peed in my bag which had my 3ds in it. what the best way to get rid of the odor. i searched and electric cleaners dont get rid of the smell apparently.
>>
>>2497003
Oh, of course. There's just a lot of shit to wade through.

Paging through their website... Authority, Purina Muse, AvoDerm grain-free, Castor and Pollux Organix, and grain-free Nutro aren't bad. I'd rank them low-mid tier. Simply Nourish, Nulo, Natural Balance, Nature's Variety, Wellness, Nutrisca, Purina Beyond, grain-free Blue Buffalo formulas like Freedom/Wilderness, EVOLVE, Freshpet Vital, Only Natural, and Nutro Wild Frontier are just fine, mid-tier. If every cat owner in the country fed their cat one of these formulas, I would be so, so happy.

Wellness CORE, Nature's Variety Instinct, Castor and Pollux PRISTINE, and Crave are probably the best of the lot.
>>
>>2497740
How thick of debris are we talking? Like ear wax consistency yet black?
>>
I kiss my cat on the mouth
and i aint infected
don't believe everything you read kiddos, fucking animals is safe
>>
anyone know why my cat would sit there and stare at me? he does it like every night from like 8pm to 12am. plunks himself down on the opposite side of the room and just stares straight at me. i thought maybe he wants something but i'll play with him and then feed him and he'll go right back to doing it. it's like he's staring me down or something.
>>
File: 52.jpg (32 KB, 471x470)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
my cat died today
>>
cat had a worm near his butthole

can i just buy dewormer or should i take him to vet?
>>
>>2497863
f sorry anon
>>
>>2497863
F
>>
>>2497864
Go to vet, tell them you saw a tapeworm. They'll give him a shot or topical cream. I prefer shot
>>
>>2497831
It tends to be drier, more like crusting or even flaking, but can still be waxy consistency.
>>
>>2497864
Different worms require different treatment. Spaghetti-like, unsegmented = roundworm, can buy dewormer (pyrantel pamoate). Flat, segmented = tapeworm, should go to vet (also probably has fleas).
>>
My cat has a vet appointment in a half hour to get shots

:(

She's going to hate me very shortly
>>
>>2498346
Don't go in the room with them
Be the savior that saves her from the people that stabbed her
>>
>>2498346
>>2498358
Never mind. She refused to get in her carrier. I am so fucking pissed at her right now, I had to leave or I was going to do something I'd regret. I'm at the store right now buying a new carrier.

GOD FUCK I am mad. I had to reschedule for Monday. I'm mad mostly because she can't trust me. I'm so fucking frustrated right now
>>
>>2498369
Throw a blanket over her and put her in
I know this place memes about "cats are our kings and queens and don't force them to do anything they don't want" but shit like this, nah
You're a giant bipedal monkey, become the monkey
>>
>>2498373
She has a small carrier now, and I couldn't do a single thing to get her in there. I'll try that on Monday maybe. I also have a larger carrier now, I'll turn it on its back and drop her in next time as well.

God damn I'm still mad. I don't know what I'm going to do when I get home. Last time we went to the vet she has no issues. She didn't even get shots it was just a checkup. No it's a big deal.

Fufhhfkfkxkekxk
>>
>>2498374
You don't have to drop her in
Grab a small blanket, fold it up a few times so that it's padded, throw it on her, scoop her up quickly, stuff her in carrier and close it
Ideally a blanket she can crawl out of once inside, you also don't want to make it so that's shes stuffed in there the whole ride.
The nicer method, which I've never used but always read about is enticing them with treats inside the carrier
>>
>>2498375
The first time I took her to the vet she went in with treats. Took about 2 minutes but she did it.

I almost got her to go in again today, but she wouldn't go far enough in, then I spent 20 minutes trying to force her in until I was going to be late.

I'm hoping Monday will be better
>>
>>2498396
I put her dinner in the new carrier and now she's growling at me.

I don't care I guess. She'll go hungry if that's the way it's going to be
>>
>>2496077
Any advice?
>>
>>2498369
Leave the carrier out and put treats and a soft bed and shit in it. She'll disassociate it from going to the vet and the bad things that happen there and you won't have any problems getting her in.
>>
>>2498374
Cap your mad and look at it from her perspective senpai, she has ever reason to be fearful.
>trapped in small box in moving car, what is car ride??
>taken to strange place with strange smells and sounds
>loud barking dogs and a fuckzillion other cat traces, what is happening??
>weird-smelling stranger pokes/prods/makes her do shit she doesn't wanna do for reasons she doesn't understand
>box again?
>car ride again??
>fuck that was scary and awful
>>
>>2498536
Yeah and then she came home and got 3 treats and plenty of attention and then got to sit around home with no fear of anything for 3 months.

She's being ridiculous and I'm still annoyed with her
>>
>>2496104
The cat I had growing up was basically my shadow. She followed me around the neighborhood when I was out playing, she was usually sitting at the corner waiting for my bus to get home from my school, she always wanted to cuddle and nap with me, and for the 13 years I had her she was closer to me than the actual people in my immediate family.

I don't think that an indifferent creature who was just around for the food would go out of her way to spend all her time with me, especially because I wasn't even the one who usually fed her. I think it's pretty obvious to everyone who's ever had a good relationship with a cat that they do develop an affectionate attachment to certain people. I don't have any pets of my own right now, but my neighbor has a cat that comes running over to see me every time I step out my front door even though I've never fed her or given her any treats. Would she do that if she just wanted food?
>>
File: IMAG0053.jpg (2.24 MB, 4000x2250)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
My kit Kats
>>
My cat likes my gf more than me. I am resentful of her [the cat] for this. How do I win her back?
>>
>>2498538
Now she's biting me anytime I go to the kitchen and don't get her a new bowl.

This is unreal boys. I thought she loved me. I guess she's actually just a cunt. I'm being nice and playing with her and talking sweet to her and all that, I'm just not bending on this carrier shit.

I feel very hurt that she feels this way now. I give her treats all the time, she gets 3 wet meals a day, I let her do whatever she wants, I even let her scratch the couch. I let her out on my balcony and give her a lot of trust. Why can't she fucking trust me? I'm so unbelievably frustrated by this. How do I deal with such an irrational creature and keep my patience? I love her, but she's being a massive fucking bitch right now and I'm at my wits end, and I'm afraid this is going to permanently damage my relationship with her. Maybe not on her end, but I don't know how I'll feel about her when this whole ordeal is over.
>>
>>2498685
Hello Sarah
I shit you not, you sound exactly like someone I know
>>
They discontinued my cat's food, and she's kind of a picky eater. When I switched her to wet, this was the only one she liked out of the like ten different ones I tried feeding her. Sheba still makes basically the same food, but it comes in those annoying little blister packs; plus it's less food for more money. So out of principle, I don't want to buy it.

What's a similar cat food to this I can try giving her? As far as I can tell, she likes chunks and she likes gravy. She also doesn't seem to like seafood.
>>
Question to those of you that have had multiple cats / a cat for long, how do I get my cat to be less social? I know that's probably a strange question, but she's my first cat and I've had her for about 1½ years now and while I love her, sometimes she's simply unbearably clingy.

She has to sleep in my bed, or at least in my room every night or she panic meows for hours. Whenever I go to the bathroom she'll jump on the door the whole time. If I'm outside and she can see me through a window, she'll basically jump at me and paw the glass. If she wakes up and I'm in another room she'll howl and cry until she finds me or I go get her. If I'm sitting still for just a moment she'll crawl onto my lap or on my shoulders (She's in my lap as I'm typing this) show her face into mine and eventually sleep there until I move, sometimes the whole day.

Luckily I work from home so she doesn't have to be alone but is there anything I can do except get another cat? If even that would help. Will she grow out of it? I could just lock myself in for hours and ignore her until she learns but that seems so cruel. I can't bring myself to not snuggle with her constantly.
>>
File: Sleepy.jpg (548 KB, 1388x1851)
548 KB
548 KB JPG
>>2498804
Forgot my fitting image for the thread.
>>
>>2498787
Make your own.
>>
>>2498805
she's so cute tho
>>
>>2498637
Good night, kitters.
>>
>>2498804
In time they mellow out. You also need to ignore the crying and whining. They'll get over it.
>>
Do you think I can wash my cat in the washing machine if I just put him in for a minute?
>>
File: Sleepy2.jpg (208 KB, 1388x1851)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>2498840
Indeed she is, thank you!
>>2498854
Thanks, I'm doing my best but it's hard to ignore such a cutie...
>>
File: Sleepy3.jpg (206 KB, 1388x1851)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>2498864
>>
>>2498781
I'm not Sarah.

I've calmed down since last night, I was being a little silly. I was in a very bad mood mostly because doing this on Monday makes it significantly more difficult. I think I have a plan, I'm going to spray a bunch of those calming hormones into a pillowcase, shove her in there, then shove her into the carrier. She'll probably freak out, but it will be okay
>>
>>
>>2498877
She’s a QT
>>
>>2498551
Did you get her as a kitten or was she older?
>>
I can never seem to get rid of all the fuckin fleas, plus I'm allergic to their bites and get scars from scratching. Should I just not let my cat out of the house?
>>
My cat is actively seeking out chocolate. He ate some Reese's last night
>>
>>2499063
Either your cat no longer wants to live or it is living out the cat version of trainspotting.
>>
>>2497863
F
>>
>>2498374
can confirem, my cat used to be impossible until I started using the Abu Ghraib method. now it's no problem at all
>>
https://youtu.be/mcD4_o6q4ls
>>
File: IMG_0284.jpg (86 KB, 480x640)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
What do I do with this?
>>
File: sam&j.jpg (371 KB, 801x1426)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
Posted here a long time ago. Here's the twins. can you figure out which is male and female?
>>
File: IMG_20171004_221245.jpg (202 KB, 1000x1068)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
Always looking for something to attack.
>>
>>2494838
Getting a second car makes them less likely to bite you. They realize it hurts.
>>
File: IMG_20171004_020214.jpg (1.13 MB, 4160x3120)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
Rate my cat, /an/
>>
why does every can of ‘good’ catfood have sweet potato or pumpkin or tuna or tuna broth in it?

isnt shit like this useless to cats or just plain bad?
>>
>>2498374
Just grab it by the scruff and guide it into the carrier.
It will forgive you anon.
>>
>>2499191
would p@ c@/10
>>
File: kot.jpg (55 KB, 919x559)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
Is ham bad for cats or something? Why does wet cat food come in beef, turkey, chicken, and fish, but not ham/pork? I only ask because my cat absolutely loses his shit for ham. I only give him a little corner piece when I make a sandwich or something so it's not like he's overdosing on salt
>>
>>2499340
I've seen pork occasionally, but not ham. Huh, never thought about it.
>>
>>2499340
maybe they just dont like it

bought some cat treats that had pork in it. cat didnt care for it
>>
why does my kitten gently bite my finger then start licking it all the time
>>
>>2499374
You're fun
>>
>>2499378
explain
>>
File: brodkot.png (613 KB, 600x401)
613 KB
613 KB PNG
What breed is blini kot?
>>
>>2499379
you're kitten's probably all like "sweet I can bite this dude and nothing bad happens, nice" and then switches over to grooming your finger.
I wouldn't encourage biting though, kittens don't know their own strength.
>>
>>2499374
My cat does this as well. It's a feral/young kitten thing, it means they love you.

It's what their mom did to them to show affection, and they're doing the same to you.
>>
My cat got kidney failure and i had to put him down.
the vet said its common amongst "purebred"/inbred cats.
>>
File: 1468389607699.jpg (138 KB, 960x1280)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
This kitty cat is seriously the only reason I visit back home any more. My parents just don't take care of him, and they always semi-jokingly ask if I want to take him with me when I leave, but he's such a nervous cat, and I don't think he could take a move. But god, do I love this cat.
>>
File: 1412143775226.jpg (84 KB, 960x1280)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>2499600
He must be about 14 now, but he's still such a kitten.
>>
>>2499601
Just take the damn cat then. If he's still healthy he probably still has five or so years left in him. That's a long ass time to have to live in neglect.
>>
>>2499445
Common to cats that only get dry food too.
>>
File: IMG_20171008_003249253.jpg (919 KB, 4160x2340)
919 KB
919 KB JPG
help, I got a new phone with a good camera for the first time in my life, and now I can't stop taking pictures of my cat
>>
File: IMG_20171008_102813919.jpg (735 KB, 2340x4160)
735 KB
735 KB JPG
>>2499667
>>
File: IMG_20171008_101856676.jpg (1.27 MB, 2340x4160)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>2499670
they're not even super good or unique pictures, but every time I see him doing literally anything I snap one
>>
why are they such picky eaters

WHY
>>
File: incredulous slav.png (153 KB, 351x351)
153 KB
153 KB PNG
Hey guys, I'm looking to adopt a cat soon and wanted some advice on getting it acclimated to a new home.

I'm not new to owning a house cat, me and a friend used to take care of a cat when we were living together but he was the one that adopted it and house broke it before I showed up. Is there anything I should take into consideration when bringing a cat to a new home?
>>
File: IMG_20171008_1723554.jpg (3.74 MB, 4896x3672)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB JPG
rate my cat
his name is nigel and today he ripped a fox's tail clean off
(in England most cats are outdoor cats)
yes that is a real gold chain (its mine though)
>>
File: IMG_20171008_1723554~2.jpg (1.01 MB, 2483x3038)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>2499689
rotated edition
>>
>>2499689
>>2499691
>Guy Richie Character / 10
>>
>>2499686
Just let the cat get comfortable. Interact with them, but don't force yourself on them. Don't put them on your lap or anything, just allow them to explore and rub up against you and all that
>>
>>2499686
you'll want to set aside one room for them at first. Put the litter box and food bowl in there, and keep them only in that room. Of course, spend a lot of time in there with it, letting it explore the area and get used to the smells of your house.

After a few days, go ahead and open up the rest of your house. If you have an especially large place, it might be good to do this in steps, but I'm assuming you've just got a flat or something.

The purpose of this is to let the cat slowly acclimate to your place, without overwhelming it. Afterwards, if something scares it, it'll always have that one room where it'll feel the safest. This also keeps your new cat from getting into all your things all at once, and limits the areas it's likely to hide in if you need to grab it for something.

of course, you can move the litter and food to their proper places after you let your cat into the full house, don't worry about it getting used to pooping in the same spot or anything.

Again, you only do this for a few days, and in my experience it always makes bringing a new cat into your house smoother!
>>
>>2499709
Thanks, I was thinking of keeping it in my room for the first couple of days but I'm not around all morning (college) so it'd be alone for at least 4 or 5 hours every morning.

I think I can deal with the smell of the litterbox but I would like to move it to the laundry room or bathroom once it gets settled
>>
Best way to litter train a kitten? He's a retard and keeps pissing everywhere but he isn't interested in eating solid food yet so I don't have any to put in his litter box or anything and he doesn't seem to show any indication of actually learning from his mother when she goes to the bathroom. Everything I've seen says to just keep putting him in the litter box but he just jumps right out of it again.
>>
>>2499420
the owner doesn't even know
>>
has anyone ever fed their cats aldis store brand canned food?

made in canada and the first ingredient is beef or chicken
>>
>>2499834
I don't trust Aldi's human food half the time, I wouldn't trust their cat food.
>>
>>2498872
I'm nervous about tomorrow boys. I don't want a repeat of Friday.

So I got her to go in her carrier after giving her a treat, but she only goes half way, I think that's enough though. I think I'm going to put a treat in there, have her go a little in, then pick up her hind legs and push her all the way in. You think it's a good plan? I'm nervous because I only have one shot at this.
>>
I went away for a week, leaving my dad to look after my (indoor) cat. I asked him to come by four or five times to feed and water her, fix her litterbox and play with her a bit. He agreed to this, got paid, and said there'd be no problem.

When I came back, her litterbox was in an absolutely vile state, she only had a little dirty water (plenty of food at least) and was hiding. She came out when she realized it was me pretty quickly, but distressingly enough her meows sound really hoarse - I think she might have been crying out for god knows how long until she lost her voice. She's been super-affectionate ever since, but the reason behind it really sucks.

Needless to say I'm pretty pissed off, the only reason I didn't book her in to a shelter was because I thought that staying in her own home would be less distressing for her than having to go to a cage surrounded by other strange, scared cats she doesn't know.

Any tips for looking after her after this, other than some standard TLC? I don't want her to develop separation-anxiety, which I'm starting to worry about since she began crying when I just left the room, something she's never really done.
>>
>>2500084
put a towel around your hands when you do it.

also have you thought about how you're going to get the cat back into the carrier at the vet
>>
What kind of cat is in the OP exactly?
My cat looks exactly like that, is it a specific variety?
>>
>>2500121
It's just a tabby
>>
>>2500121
It's my cat, she's a black tabby.

Not a real breed, she's a mutt, but that's her pattern.
>>
>>2500123
Well I don't really know what mine is either but I've always wondered, someone put her out as a kitten. Came home and found a 6 inch kitten crying and shivering in the rain in the gutter in front of my house, she's been my little shit head ever since, she got freaking big too. She's like twice the mass of my dotson.
>>
>>2500131
Mine's only 8 pounds, pretty lean cat. She was also a stray though, I think that has something to do with it. Tabby patterns are one of the most common for cats, and black is also a pretty common color. Like everyone says, if you don't know what their breed is, they likely don't have one. Cats fuck indiscriminately and have lots of mixed breed children.
>>
>>2500133
Well it's ok, she's very sweet and smart so it doesn't matter what she is really. Until she sees ham anyway, then she turns into a ham eating monster.
>>
>>2498885
She was around three years old when we adopted her from a shelter. She'd had owners before, but I don't remember the details.
>>
>>2494675
>want cat
>can't have cat
>want to volunteer at shelter
>pretty sure it would kill me inside as I'd never be able to take them home

why
>>
>>2499166

get a box so he/she can hide while watching you [spoiler]Install Gentoo[/spoiler]
>>
>>2500236
But every time one gets taken in by a family you'd experience joy, so there's that. I know because I work at a cat shelter.
>>
File: IMG_20170926_170111.jpg (448 KB, 1280x720)
448 KB
448 KB JPG
Flesh-eating monster
%%love him :3%%
>>
How to stop cat from scratching his face to the point of bleeding?
>>
>>2500084
>>2500117
I just found a YouTube video that's taken away pretty much all of my stress. They put their cat in one of those storage bins. I have a storage bin just like it. I can screw some holes in and bring her in that if shit hits the fan. They might look at me funny at the vet but fuck it if it works.

I'm still going to try the bait in the carrier, then pushing her in trick. If she gives me a couple gashes I won't mind, so long as she's in and we're at the vet.

Last time we were at the vet, they handled putting her in, in assuming they're going to do the same thing this time
>>
>>2500508
I know most of you don't care but I got her in with a treat, no struggle at all, and she was so well behaved at the vet, and now she's home eating her favorite dinner.

Such a wave of relief, now 8 months of peace before we have to move and go through this again
>>
>>2496104
cats are more like roomates who only pretend to put up with your shit because you clean up their shit box and provide them with food and pettings.. its not unheard of for a outside cat to adopt himself out to another house nearby so he lives half his day at your place and spends the rest of his day at his other home. if his other home treats him better he might just decide to stay.
>>
>>2496113
when i was in grade school my cat used to walk with me to and from the bus stop every day before and after school.
>>
File: cat_71.jpg (87 KB, 720x960)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
Haha look at this cat
>>
I found a pink bald spot on my cat's belly. Should I ignore it or is that something serious?
>>
>>2500664
that's great anon
>>
>>2500742
to the vet with you
>>
>>2500742
VET
E
T
>>
>>2497094
That means she can become 20 years old, that is around 100 years in human age, her death will be sad at first but then you will be happy that she lived such a long life for a cat.
>>
>>2496894
Play with her?
>>
>>2494675
>have anxiety problems
>see kitten on the side of the road
>pick up stray kitten
>take it home
>fed it
>took to the vet
>got dewormed, vaccs, etc
>play with it
>naps on me
>other cats have slowly come around and play with her
>she follows me all the time
>when i go to bed she follows me and sleeps with me the whole night
>realize doing this has helped with my anxiety
>go to work
>all I want to do is go back home and hang out with kitten and feel relaxed
>>
>>2501131
I'd be one of fucks that carries their ESA everywhere if I had a pet that helped me like that.
>>
>>2501131
Have had anxiety issues too. My cat has definitely helped a lot in relieving that
>>
>get a kitten
>never really raised a cat before, do research on nutrition
>this place among others recommends feeding wet food
>do this for about a month maybe 2
>cat has diarreah off and on
>switch her back to the dry food she was raised on
>solid healthy poops all the time now

I sincerely hope you guys don't fall for the wet food meme like I did

DUDE IT MIGHT POTENTIALLY STOP THEM FROM UTI'S AND POSSIBLE KIDNEY DISEASE 10 YEARS LATER.

I'd rather her not shit her stomach out all the time
>>
>>2500385
Take him to the vet cause there's definitely something wrong
>>
>>2501229
I have my cat on a diet of wet food for breakfast and dry in the evening
He poops solid poops and seems like a happy healthy kitty
>>
>>2501229
My cat eats wet food, her poop is fine.
>>
>>2496000
I like you, your cat, and your trips
>>
>>2501234
That's pretty much what I do with her now. Mostly dry food, with the wet food mixed in sometimes. She actually eats around the wet food and mostly goes for the dry
>>
>>2499834
Can't find an ingredient list for this anywhere online. Post and I can tell you how good it is.

>>2500115
Just get her back to a normal eating/drinking/feeding schedule. I went overseas for a month once and my cat (who was very strongly bonded to me) would sit and cry on my bed. She did it a few times after I came home if I was quietly in a different section of the house, as though she didn't remember I was home, but got over it in about a week.

>>2500298
This.

>>2500664
Good kitter.

>>2500742
Could be allergies, stress, parasites.

>>2501229
Wet food does not give cats diarrhea in and of itself, stop memeing this. If the wet food didn't agree with her, she was either switched too quickly or one of the ingredients is upsetting her stomach. Try another.

If you're dead set on dry food, do 50/50.
>>
File: IMG_5335 - Copy.jpg (474 KB, 1080x1080)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
This is my good boy earlier today, a few hours before we put him down. I'm a mess guys.
>>
>>2501422
F
>>
File: IMG_5328 - Copy.jpg (509 KB, 810x1080)
509 KB
509 KB JPG
Here he is loungin out in the yard one last time.
>>
File: IMG_5332 - Copy.jpg (492 KB, 810x1080)
492 KB
492 KB JPG
We buried him out in the country, near the barn where he was born. His sister lays there too, we buried her 11 years ago when she was hit by a car. She was only 2 years old.
>>
File: 20171010_140007 - Copy.jpg (3.97 MB, 5312x2988)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB JPG
He always loved to lay in the sun.
>>
File: 20171010_081056.jpg (3.3 MB, 5312x2988)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB JPG
>>2501422
>>2501427
>>2501429
>>2501432

This is just what i came on here to find. I need someone to commiserate with.

I had to say goodbye to our cat today. she was only about 12.5 but she had cancer.

She was a small cat to start with. about 6 lbs. Back in January of 2016 we noticed her getting real thin. 5 pounds, then 4, then 3. took her to vet, saw she had cancer. Gave us a prescription for prednisolone to help a little. Got her appetite back and she was a happy kitty since then. Until about a month ago, i noticed her getting bony again. And then man, in the last week, she just wasted away before our eyes :(

Put her down an hour ago :(
These were some pics i took this morning before i had to go to work.
>>
>>2501422
>>2501449
F
>>
File: 20171010_082339.jpg (3.83 MB, 5312x2988)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB JPG
>>2501449

This is the last pic i took of her on my phone. My wife took some more this evening before we took her in.

But we also took her outside where she loved to lay in the grass. Just before we took her in to the vet.

I'm not a mess yet. But i can feel it about to start.
>>
>>2501422
He looks like he lost some weight in the end too.

This sucks :(
>>
>>2501449
>>2501451
What a cutie... So sorry to hear that. Mine was about a year older than yours. We knew he wasn't aging very well, as he started having digestive issues and had arthritis in his hind legs. But the past month or so he just started wasting away. Could barely get around, lost a good portion of his body weight, had a cyst growing on his neck, an eye infection. He stopped being able to eat properly, his fur got all nappy. His breathing became slow and laboured, and he had what sounded like some sort of acid reflux. All in all it was for the best we put him to sleep.

>>2501455
He was a big guy. Was born the runt of his litter, my mother had to bottlefeed him for a while. But he soon grew big and strong. Became the biggest of his siblings by far. King of the neighbourhood, no one fucked with him. Absolutely vicious hunter, would find all sorts of varmint ripped to shreds around the house. He once puked up an entire bird that he swallowed whole, I was equally reviled and impressed.

But I guess its true what they say. The flame that burns twice as bright, burns half as long.
>>
>>2501449
F
>>
>>2495198
i fostered a kitten for a while and had this problem with my older cat. usually just let them interact with each other but make sure you watch so older cat doesn't attack younger kitty
>>
File: 454.png (151 KB, 328x483)
151 KB
151 KB PNG
What breed is this?
>>
>>2501513
What's it say on its papers?
>no papers, no breed. Cats aren't the same as dogs.
>>
>>2501518

Ah, I dunno man. I'm just trying o impress a girl to figure out what kind of cat she has.
>>
>>2501528
99% of cats do not have a breed. They're street cats or children of street cats. Street cats fuck anything that is a cat. If you see a male and female cat on the street, odds are they fucked, and they have 4 little kittens somewhere.

You're not going to impress a girl by complimenting her on her domestic short hair. If you want to impress her, learn cat behavior and bond with the cat. Or show her a wallet full of cash or just be attractive.
>>
>>2501427
>>2501449
F. Cancer is the shits.

>>2501513
Domestic shorthair.
>>
File: 20170510_211001.jpg (855 KB, 2560x1440)
855 KB
855 KB JPG
My kit cat. Her name is Marshmallow.
>>
File: IMG_1366.jpg (165 KB, 750x878)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>2494675
This is my cat. I think he's a Siberian but I'm not sure, thoughts?
>>
>>2501587
Love the black spots near the ears.

>>2501594
That's a good looking long-hair, whatever he is.
>>
File: ezgif-5-56c5f695df.gif (3.82 MB, 600x338)
3.82 MB
3.82 MB GIF
>>2494703
my belly
>>
>>2501594
He's a domestic longhair.
>>
File: n7WpNVCU.jpg (111 KB, 768x1024)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
I love beans
>>
>>2497760
>>2498867
>>2498877
>>2498879
>>2499184
>>2502087
>>2501587
>>2501594
>>2501594

Cute kots
>>
rate this random stray that wont leave my house
>>
>>2502116
blek kots are gud kots
>>
>>2496563
why did you cut it off?
>>
>>2498787
fancy feast has a lot of chunks and gravy stuff. or you can go to a pet store and buy a ton of cat food from different brands. another thing to do is get pate and mash it up and get cat food broths and put it on top
>>
>>2502139
his ear?

clipped. the tnr people got to him
>>
>>2502116
10/10 congrats on the new cat
>>
File: IMG_0109.jpg (188 KB, 750x1334)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>2501853
Thanks. Is there a reason he loves to attack everyone? He's about 3 y/o and just loves beating the shit out of other cats and clawing the fuck out of everyone.
>>
Do you really need to clip your cat's nails every week? Seems like a pretty big design flaw from nature if something happens if you don't.
>>
>>2502174
Just look at their claws, if they're starting to get too long, trim them. If you have carpet, you won't have to do it often, cats usually scratch them up pretty good on that.

The one you have to watch out for is the one on their thumb, because that doesn't see much ground, and can get extra long and curly.

The reason cats get ingrown claws is because of inactivity. If they're in the wild, they whittle them down pretty quickly.
>>
File: loop1.gif (578 KB, 299x198)
578 KB
578 KB GIF
>>
File: loop2.gif (574 KB, 299x198)
574 KB
574 KB GIF
>>
File: holly.jpg (40 KB, 640x480)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
This is Holly. She was the most well behaved cat I ever had. She never hissed, or growled and was generally very affectionate.

The most talkative cat I ever had. She would carry conversations with you and wouldn't stop until you did. She'd often jump in my lap and take naps.

She did almost 10 years ago, and the shitty walmart webcam I had when I took this picture was george bush quality, but it's the only picture I have of her. I miss her a lot sometimes.
>>
>>2502116
Meowmeow/10, that's a goog kat
>>
>>2502397
F
>>
>>2502171
poorly socialized and/or the people and cats are antagonizing him
>>
File: Fandango with Donuts.jpg (1.97 MB, 3264x2448)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
Fandango just lost a battle to resurgent cancer.

She was skittish, stubborn, loud, and prone to freaking the fuck out over nothing, but she was also affectionate and determined and helped me through everything in my life.

Feeling her head and neck go slack in my hands as she passed was one of the most horrible experiences of my meager life.
>>
>>2502574
I'm sorry you had to go through that, anon. At least you were there for her though.
>>
>>2502574
Aw man, that really sucks. :( I feel with you man, miss my cats. Love and many hugs towards you.
>>
So I just went to my local shelter today and adopted a 4 month old kitty. I won't get him til Saturday and they are gonna spay her tomorrow. This will be my first pet so I have a couple questions

>Like I said she will be getting spayed tomorrow, isn't that a invasive surgery? Why would they give her to me on Saturday? Won't she need to recover?

>I saw this Cat Tree on Amazon with good reviews (https://www.amazon.com/Go-Pet-Club-Tree-Beige/dp/B003WGGWQA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) , but it looks huge. Is there a thing as too big for a kitten in terms of a cat tree?

>What are some good products to protect my furniture from scratches? Do sticky pads work?

>Should I give her dry or wet food?

Any other advice would be appreciated please. I've done nothing but study cats this month and it kinda feels like I know nothing still.
>>
>>2502574
F
>>
>>2502574
sorry for your loss

>>2502642
Save up on the cat tree until they're used to your home and they've healed up from the surgery. They're not going to want to do much for the first few days after a surgery like that other than sleep and eat.

As for scratching - get them one of those cardboard scratching posts you lay on the floor and they'll be fine for the most part. Once they're no longer kittens and they can really jump, they tend to stop clawing most things (until they can jump they climb everywhere). As for food, just keep giving them whatever the shelter has been giving them to make the transition easier. After that you can switch it up and see which they prefer.
>>
i noticed my kot had one claw different - thumb one. it became darker, more yellow in tone and root is dark. is that possibility of fungus?
>>
>>2502642
Cats are pretty easy pets to take care of as long as you care and give them love.

Don't worry too much, you'll be fine. Ask the shelter what they've been feeding the little kitten, and just feed her the same thing they are. Wet food in general is better for their teeth, and if they don't drink enough water it's imperative that they get their water from food. But plenty of cats are healthy on dry food diets.

My cat doesn't drink water at all, so I feed her wet food exclusively
>>
I'm having a hard time deciding when euthanasia is the right option...

My cat is a ~17 year old female tuxedo. At her healthy prime she weighed 10-12 pounds.

She's had terrible malabsorption (likely cancer-induced) for years now, and despite gaining weight for a few years through a high-calorie diet and later steroids to combat nausea she's now a horrifying six pounds.

Despite her obvious emaciation she's still completely mentally sound and extremely affectionate. Though she can't get all the nutrients from her food she still wants to eat and she shows no significant behavioral changes besides the results of her emaciation.

Six pounds is a bridge too far and I know it considering her last weigh in was seven, I'm just struggling with drawing the line between too soon and too late
>>
>>2495835
Instant karma
>>
File: IMG_20171009_122937.jpg (3.08 MB, 4048x3036)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
this son of a bitch made a full recovery from jaundice

Hardy motherfucker
>>
>>2502842
What are the vets recommending?

>>2502846
Good on him.
>>
>>2502900
>What are the vets recommending?
The vet has been very wait-and-see. Just, if there are no signs of distress and she's still eating and comfortable keep going.

But I'm aware that cats are very stoic, and at six pounds I see little point in further maintainence treatment (steroids)

At this point I'm more or less waiting for the nausea to strike before taking her in for the last time
>>
File: 20170925_100234.jpg (801 KB, 2560x1536)
801 KB
801 KB JPG
My maine coons have been diagnosed with cryptosporidium. They made our other cat sick too. We got them from a breeder in July. I'm really angry at her as there is no way they could have caught it in this house as we had the other cat healthy a whole year before bringing them in.

Looks like we have an expensive couple of months ahead of us, keeping them on anti inflammatories, antibiotics and antivirals, and a busy time disinfecting everything with ammonia, steam cleaning, dehumidifying, and of course, running after them after each shit to wipe their butts with a swab of cotton wool doused in dilute hydrogen peroxide.

I wanna throw a brick through that bitch breeders window. Making these sweet cats sick.
>>
>>2502934
>We got them from a breeder
This will never stop being a terrible idea
>>
>>2502935
We won't do it again. The first cat we got was from a fostered mother/litter and he has been perfect.

Girlfriend wanted to buck the success and get from a breeder because she wanted the paper's and to know there's gonna be fewer problems. Like I said, never again, although when we graduate and qualify years from now as a vet she wants to foster.
>>
>>2502935
I'm not disagreeing, but how else are you going to get a Maine Coon if that's what you're looking for?
>>
File: SheCookedItInTheDryer.png (732 KB, 1080x1889)
732 KB
732 KB PNG
>>2494675
How do you people feel about cat abuse?
>>
>>2494675
Taking my buddy tomorrow to the vet for his monthly stuff. The most stressful day of the fucking month, to both of us, Cat and me.
>>
>>2502144
the tail
>>
File: HGW-hH6X.jpg (106 KB, 768x1024)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>2502171
How often are you playing with him?
Could be something as simple as boredom.
Play with him a fair amount, get all that energy out of him.
>>
>>2503091
she will get her comupance
>>
new thread
>>2503428

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.