[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Asian ladybugs are a cancerous pest. It sickens me that we now cannot be rid of them after the retarded scientists introduced them to North America
>>
File: 1280px-Cat_poster_1.jpg (187 KB, 1280x841)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>2499127
Obligatory
>>
>>2499127
We have them in Europe too. I haven't seen our native ladybug in ages.
>>
File: Lionfish.jpg (59 KB, 640x360)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>2499127
Now I might sound like the dumbest motherfucker on Earth but aren't ladybugs good for eating aphids and other pests?

Lionfish/Snakeheads I can understand because they have virtually no predators over here
>>
>>2499127
Filthy fucking cats. They need a dose of tylenol.
>>
>>2499160
From my lacking understatement about the ladybug vs ladybird thing is that ladybirds are more aggressive, eat crops, stink and swarm while our ladybugs are not assholes and prefer eating pests than our vegetables. I have been bitten by 'ladybirds' so I don't fuck with them. They were also released by the USDA.

I could be wrong. They don't seem much of a problem but then again I've never had an infestation nor have they bothered my garden.
>>
>>2499160
>Now I might sound like the dumbest motherfucker on Earth but aren't ladybugs good for eating aphids and other pests
Ladybugs ARE good. These are a non-native variety.

Initially from Eastern Asia, the Harlequin Ladybeetle was introduced to North America where the populations exploded into pest levels.
>>
>>2499127
>Asian ladybugs are a cancerous pest.

Only in the fall. Otherwise, they eat a metric shit ton of aphids in my gardens and are welcome there.
>>
File: 1506835530130.gif (1.3 MB, 387x263)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB GIF
>>2499219
A ladybird is a flying moth (Sphingidae senpai.) that looks like a hummingbird. The Asiatic multicolord beetles (Harmonia axyridis) that look like ladybugs (Coccinellidae senpai.) were introduced to eat aphids. The main problem is that both go by many different common names thus resulting in many mixups. Like hawk moths' larval stages eat tomato plants (Manduca quinquemaculata). It is in the Sphingidae family like the one known commonly as "ladybird" in some places. Although, people call ladybugs "ladybirds" in some places too. Thus you get people mixing up names and suddenly ladybugs eat tomato plants. Also, Harmonia axyridis is in the family of Coccinellidae.
>>
>>2499219
>>2499271
These two posts that I just got cancer, AIDS, tuberculosis and dysentery from are why common names are fucking stupid.
>>
>>2499347
At least I admitted what I did and didn't know. I find it hard to believe that a beetle would turn into what I know as a hummingbird moth. To me they are entirely different species. This is where you are suppose to correct us. I know of one beetle species that the females don't reach the beetle sexual maturity.

Correct the wrongs and rights, otherwise you're just as cancerous as our stupidity.
>>
>>2499127
Without ladybugs greenflies would ruin lots of plants.
>>
>>2499127
Here in the UK, it's become apparent that the asian 'Harlequin' ladybird feeds mainly in high tree canopies, so it occupies a different ecological niche to the native ladybirds.
There has been a lot of hysteria suggesting they are killing off the native ladybirds, but in reality the native species have been in decline because of urbanisation and intensive farming for longer than the harlequins have been here for.
Still, introducing non-native species into the wild should be avoided as a rule.
>>
>>2499271
>Sphingidae senpai

kek
>>
>>2499401
in europe we have our native ladybugs
>>
>>2499605
lol yeah, forgot about the wordfilter for the first three letters of the word "family".

>>2499347
ikr, that's why I always use scientific names now. There's just too many people in my area that call different things the same name and swap their traits.
>>
>>2499127
yeah we got them in europe massively
rarely see a good old coccinella septempunctata here. Only those "W" marked harmonia axyrids
>>
File: asians.jpg (130 KB, 678x407)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>2499127
>>
>>2499127
*blocks your path*
>>
File: 30x8npt2s80y.jpg (294 KB, 1633x1224)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
>>
>>2499848
>not niggers
asians at least dont cause problems
>>
File: 1616.jpg (61 KB, 640x444)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>2499127
Myocastor Coypus are getting out of control where i live
>>
>>2501113
Eating anything and everything in the biosphere does cause problems
>>
>>2501113
You so right gaijin, now go kill more rhino and whale for penis medicine yes?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.