[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 18 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: beauceron.jpg (244 KB, 710x850)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
I live in an shitty neighbourhood (noguns chavs), and I'm going to leave the nest. In a few years my brother is probably also going to leave. So I thought a guard dog to protect my mum would be a good idea (my 12 yo cat is also going to leave us in a few years, and I don't want to leave her alone).
But we never had a dog, and most "guard dog" breeds (GSD, Doberman, Rottweiler...) are unadvised for first dog owners. My grandma had a Skye terrier mutt when my mother was a child. That's it, and it was actually enough to intimidate weirdos and kill rodents. But my grandma was a farm girl who knew how to train a dog.

What breed could be used as guard dog, live in a flat (forget Brittanies and Jack Russell Terriers), and is not more complicated to groom than the average shorthaired stray cat ? It's a small flat, so Great Dane and Mastiffs are not the best choices (would require to give it its own room, wouldn't prefer).

Any ideas /an/ ?
>>
A speaker playing scary dog noises while she's out is your best bet
>>
>>2502662
A speaker is not a buddy, and doesn't protect you when you're out (which is where shit can actually happen). I want a dog to keep her compagny and protect her when we'll leave.
>>
>>2502659
I wouldn't recommend a mastiff for a first time owner, but being in a small flat doesn't make them bad choices. They're couch potatoes and take to apartment living better than more active smaller dogs, they don't need their own room just because they're big. Activity level is a better indicator than size for whether or not they're going to be a good choice for smaller living situations.
>>
>>2502659
just get a purebred staffy
do not under any circumstances get a staff off gumtree or whatever, spend £700 on a pedigree one that you know wont kill your nieces and nephews because some dickhead bred some it with a dangerous breed somewhere along the line

that said literally any medium sized dog will be enough to protect your mum as more often than not, a loud bark will do the job and every dog can bark. Vizsla would be perfect
>>
>>2502692
This. If you're not actually going to get it professionally attack trained, pretty much any dog that will bark and alert your mom to someone being there will serve the same purpose. Yes, even the Brittanies and Jack Russell Terriers.
>>
>>2502682
>>2502692
>>2502693
OP here.
I think the breed I need doesn't exist.

Amstaff would be good, but I'm afraid to fuck up and make another "killer pitbull". Plus my mum can't give him enough exercise I think (these boys like to run).

Vizlas, Brittanies, Jack Russell Terriers, Irish setters... Seen too many hunting dogs become mad in these human hutches we live in. These boys need a house with a backyard.

Gotta go for a classic mummy breed I guess : Poodle, Lhassa Apso...
>>
>>2502735
your mum cant spend an hour taking the dog a walk? if she just goes to the shop with the dog then lets the dog off the leash for an hour in the park she'll be fine
>>
>>2502739
OP here.

I'm a Frenchfag. Staffies, mastiffs, rotties and all the "ghetto dogs" must be leached and muzzled when outside (written in the law).
"Pitbull" ownership gives you 100 chav points. At court, if anything happens involving your dog, you're guilty (not actually written in the law but should be ; even if you're attacked and the dog just bite the jeans of the agressor).

So : staffie can't run. But staffie wants to. So staffie pull on leash.
Master not pleased. Sad staffie.
>>
>>2502761
I would honestly reccommend a Black Labrador Retriever (black coat makes them scarier) because they are large, friendly when you need them to be, require minimal grooming, and highly trainable mraning that they can be made into guard dogs with the right training.
>>
Komondor
>>
>>2502781
They're also too active if OP's mom really won't walk it.
>>
None at all except maybe a chihuahua. Any dog breed with any sort of guard dog characteristics are active dogs that need lots of exercise - that can work in flats just fine but only if your mom is willing to go out a lot and for longer distances than 3 walks around the block per day.
>>
>>2502781
>>2502803

My mum is a rare Fat Walker. I need a dog that is fine with walking but doen't want to run fast.
>>
>>2502810

Oh boy, then definitely a chihuahua.
>>
>>2502807
>>2502813
OP here.
Chihuahuas are inbred rats and should all be killed. Meanest and dumbest dogs I've even met, never seen one not agressive. All of them are angery doggos, but can be killed in one kick without being able to grab a leg. This is why I'm considering Lhassa Apso or Poodle. 2 classic Grandma breeds, but able to protec.
>>
>>2502821
They aren't going to protect your mom beyond barking though, and any dog can do that.
>>
>>2502807
This, I don't know why OP acts like all he needs to do is find a magical special breed that'll do everything he wants when even he admitted in his first post that guard dogs aren't for beginners
>>
>>2502807
>>2502810
>>2502825
OP here.

If the dog can be unleashed a bit without running away (We all know that Border Collie/Husky owner), could be fine. There is a small wood near my building. Many go there to walk their dogs, or rather let their hunting dogs run. But if the dog escapes innawoods, my mum is fucked.

In the other way, a pug could not keep up with the long walks my mum do (has no car).

I don't need a guard dog, but I still need something that would be able to bite a calf. As I said, my Grandma had a Skye Terrier mutt, and it was enough. A big Poodle should do it. I considered a Lab, but everybody told me they had no guard instinct at all.
>>
How old is your mother? A dog with a deep bark is usually a good deterrent.

Labs and goldens are great for new owners but they still need to be trained. I recommend adopting an older dog if it's any dog over 40lbs. Old people love old dogs. My old neighborhood was primarily old people and from beagles to pitbulls they all had them and looked just as old as they did and were super chill and relaxed. I fucking hate beagles but old ones are so lazy and chill. They don't do fucking anything besides lay by their owners and idly walk besides them. By adopting an older dog you can gauge their personality and activeness, they could be already trained and I dunno about France but some places here let you have a 'trial period' where you take the dog home and see if it's right for you and if not, you are not obligated to keep it.
>>
>>2502821

As much as I agree with your disdain for any sort of pocket-sized-dog-breeds, how about a yorkshire terrier? They don't need as much fur grooming as apsos and need far less exercise than a poodle (poodles are pretty smart dogs, they'll go crazy too when you leave them to rot in your flat).

Honestly, why don't you just take your mom to a nearby shooting range and get her familiar with handling a gun? A gun doesn't need exercise, food, or vet visits.
>>
>>2502844
Because the entire world isn't America despite what you may think
>>
Or since you mentioned long walks - how about a dalmatian? If she does those long walks *regularly*, these might work. Easy temper, no hunting drive.
>>
>>2502844
I'm a Frog. Despite lurking on /k/ sometimes (I love engineering -> Forgotten Weapons and Man at Arms ->/k/), I will probably never fire a cartridge. Hunting is cool, but I'm a 19 urbanfag (maybe one day ?).

Self-defence is not a good reason to own a gun here (except if your life was threatened, but I'm not Salman Rushdie. A neighbour threatened to burn us alive, cops refused to lodge the complaint. They protect white trash here). Hand guns are heavily restricted.
>>
>>2502866

I've never felt threatened enough in my environment to even want a gun, so I'll agree with you.

Btw, even dogs can die. If you feel it's so dangerous for your mom to live alone OP, why don't you try to convince her to move elsewhere?
>>
>>2502877
"NEVAAAAAAA !"

It's the overhaul quality of life in the building (less heating, always works around) that could make her move elsewhere.
But assholes ? She's fighting them since 12 years now. She's a 49 yo single mother in the ghetto. More battle-hardened that the average soldier, but she's starting to age.
>>
>>2502866
>they protect white trash here
muslim detected
go back to your own country
>>
>>2502918
Not muslims ourselves, but they do support local white trash against muslims/albanese/nigerians...

The problem is when you have problems with the local white trash.
>>
>>2502922
go away you filthy shitskin
>>
>>2502925

We are christian. My mother is white, born a few dozen kilometers away. British and Norman blood runs through her veins. Ancestors did not move since the Hundred Years War.
But yes, you're right. My father was from the west Indies. And I look like a Persian(not the cat, the people). I also have red and blond hairs in the beard and freckles. But the average racist is too dumb to spot that indeed. I actually hate Arabs, but I'm always labeled as one.

Now back to >>>/pol/.
>>
I just made a long drawn out post on another thread with another person looking for a guard dog.
Just get an alarm system. In the end it will be cheaper than buying a dog and the costs of feeding and taking it to the vet.
>>
>>2502849
>Dalmatian
>No hunting drive

We must not talk about the same dog breed. Real life is not some Disney movie.
>>
>>2502835
I don't think Poodles would fare better in the protection department and they're no couch potatoes either.
>>
>>2502963
It would rather be a bodyguard than a watchdog.
And >>2502672
>>
>>2502967
It depends. Do Labs have the "Angery doggo growl and bark" when a stranger arrive at least ? Because Poodles do. Same for Yorkshires, Pugs, Chihuahuas (fuck Chihuahuas)...
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 517x284)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>2502973
Get a "primitive" breed then like a Canaan. Extremely protective, minimal shedding, but may need a place to freely roam.
>>
>>2502659
Can't go wrong with a shepherd.
>>
>>2502994
>Can't go wrong with a shepherd for a single middle-aged woman in a flat

lmaoing out loud
>>
OP here.
I can't do anything about the first time dog owner thing. I am not asking for the ultimate dog, just a dog that would fulfill my needs. I need a dog able to bite a calf if a stranger attacks his master, or growl if some weirdo come too close.
But as said my mother could let the dog play in forest (as long as it doesn't run innawoods without coming back) for exercise, and walk him around the city several times a week (and of course daily small walks).
Was thinking of a Dachshund. Are they really that stubborn and alpha-born ?
>>
>>2503080
You contradict yourself. You say you want a guard/protection dog and then suggest something like a dachshund. No one seeking to attack your mum is going to be put off by a dachshund.
>>
>>2503093
Well, true guard dogs are not for first time owners. I have to make sacrifices.

These degenerates are not crackheads, but alcoholic potheads.
They are intelligent enough to know even a angry terrier/dachshund is not a good thing. And I would take a big Dachshund, not a Kaninchen one. Still can bite a calf. Has guard instinct.
What scares me is preydrive and stubborness.
>>
>>2502951
You sound cute anon
>>
OP here.
I think I have 2 choices.

1 : Take a small dog with still a guard instinct (Keeshond, Shiba Inu, Lhassa Apso). The grooming is going to a pain in the ass for most of these breeds, and they will not be intimidating. They will bark at intruders and try to attack a agressor though, despite lacking power (which could be a good thing actually, don't want to pay them for the rest of their lives).

2)Take a risk. Go for a guard dog and not fuck up. But I need a guard dog able to live in a flat, with a middle-aged fat women who actually go for long walks sometimes, but cannot run.
Bullmastiff ?
>>
>>2503399
Honestly anon just get a Cane Corso
>>
English pointers are loving and lovable dogs for beginners imo but they're also very energetic and active from time to time
>>
>>2503409
I know they're perfect dogs for experienced dog owners. But for a first dog owner, even if I pay a trainer...

What about a Boston Terrier ? Do they tend to show the teeth to strangers like many terrier breeds ?
>>
>>2503427
Boston Terriers are the least intimidating dog ever. I know you're gravitating towards smaller dogs so I would reccommend a Bull Terrier.
>>
>>2503559
>>2503427
OP back.
From what I read on other websites they look like French Bulldogs, but are not French Bulldogs and actually tend to protect their owner. Is this true ?

Bull Terriers look mean, with their mean look and their strength for a such small dog. But aren't they actually quite friendly dogs to strangers ? Would it protect its master and its home, if trained ?
>>
>>2503582
Bull Terriers are know to have animal aggression. A little training is all they might need to be good guard dogs. You're looking for instinctive guarding potential and completely disregarding training. Dog's can be trained to do things they weren't bred to do. I've seen property protection Golden Retrievers before and they were viscous fuckers.
>>
I don't know if you guys have lurchers in frogland, but they'd be pretty ideal if you do. Always come back, very loyal towards the family and easy going if they get a good run.

If you're looking for something smaller, don't discredit toy breeds. Shih tzus, lhasas, or easier going terriers like show bred borders or bedlingtons might make a good fit. All of those dogs will bark and alert your mother, less demanding than a lab or a high strung terrier, and will make a lovely little companion for your mother.
>>
File: IMG_0024.jpg (199 KB, 960x960)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>2502951
I know your pain. I'm half sand person and I fucking despise Muslims even though people keep mistaking me for one.
>>
>>2505427
No, we do not usually have lurchers in France. Sighthounds and lurchers are actually forbidden for hunting, but I bet some poachers actually use lurchers (There is also a rural legend about shepherds being forbidden for hunting). Now a Bedlington Terrier might actually be the right choice. Bull Terrier seems ok to me, but my mother actually doesn't like them (well, she didn't liked tabby cats, guess what is sleeping next to her).
>>
>>2502918
You seem to have forgotten that OP is looking for a dog.
>>
>>2505670
Muslims can have dogs, they just refuse to let them come in the house/on couch/on bed, and refuse to be licked. Basically always treat them like betas, which is a good thing.
Total hatred toward dogs is a good indicator of whether they are extremist or not.
>>
>>2503644
OP here.
My mother has 2 uncaged parakeets so animal aggression is no good.
Also she's been getting into the whole feminism thing and is showing resistance to the idea of a dog that objectifies her by humping her leg, what are some breeds that are unlikely to hump?
>>
>>2506508
True French OP here.

If you're in a similar situation, you can post in this thread, but do not try to impersonate me. Make your own post explaining your situation.

I think a Bedlington Terrier is actually a good choice for me. Even show-bred bedlingtons tend to have HUGE BALLS (often too big) against strangers and other animals. They run fast and need exercice, but they are not huskies or shepherds (or "ghetto dogs", which we actually can't let run here). My mother can play fetch with a dog. They don't shed, like poodles, but they must be groomed.
As I said, unfortunately, the perfect breed in my case doesn't exist (basically a non-sheding or short-coated, easy-temper dog with not too much energy, and protective behavior - actually able to bite a calf or the groin). I cannot cross-breed Basenjis and Boston Terriers for several generations to obtain my perfect dog.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.