[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: images.jpg (7 KB, 275x183)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Spider edition

This is the invertebrate general. If you have any questions about invertebrates, want to look into owning one or more, or want to simply discuss them, this is the thread to do so, whether its

>Tarantulas and other spiders
>Myriapods
>Mollusks
>Crustaceans
>Insects
>Or anything without a backbone

Feel free to post it.

Resources/help and information

>Tarantulas
https://tomsbigspiders.wordpress.com/beginner-guides/
http://www.theraphosidae.be/en
>Mantids
http://www.mantisonline.eu/index.php?lan=en
>Phasmids
http://www.phasmatodea.com/web/guest/home

Discord
https://discord.gg/28V2Yua
>>
File: 20171119_193407.jpg (1.27 MB, 3264x1840)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>2531376
Both legs are still fucked, but he chewed the molt off of one of them
>>
>>2531383
Ha ha ha
>>
File: 20171119_193339.jpg (1.21 MB, 3264x1840)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>2531390
Don't laugh at cripples!
>>
>come home
>suprise molt
no better feeling tbqh
>>
Bunp
>>
Best time of year to breed mantids? I assume spring because there are shitload of egg sacks around that time.
>>
>>2531383
Budwing mantis?
>>
>>2531672
Yup
>>
>>2531376
What kind of tarantula is this?
>>
>>2531383
that is fucking tiny
>>
>>2531750
Yeah he's a wee baby. Maybe 3 weeks old? Eats tiny fruit flies from a culture that he came with.
>>
This is the resistance.
>>
>>
Is it true that all shop hermit crabs are forcibly taken from the wild in Honduras? I saw a video online saying the sales of hermit crabs should be boycot because they’re not bred in captivity, but I live in Australia, wouldn’t the flight from there to here kill most via stress?
>>
>>2532110
They probably get regularly picked for new DNA but i cant imagine it would be cost effective to pick all of them from the wild.
>>
Has Peta ever shown opposition to pet insects?
I cant imagine they would be too happy with insect breeders.
>>
>>2531622
Do you mean native ones? If you're from a temperate climate zone they breed in late summer, a few week after they've become adult.

Or do you mean exotic ones? Those breed all year round, though it is true that many of them hatch in spring/early summer, so if you want to buy a bunch of babies to breed them that is the best time because that's when you have the most choice in vendors/species.
>>
>>2532110
Hermit crabs live all over the world, the ones in your shops are probably not from Honduras. Also yes, they are all taken from the wild. No one has managed to breed hermit crabs in captivity. Their larval stage is planktonic and absolutely no one has managed to replicate that yet.

>>2532181
Well you're wrong. Please don't give advice about topics you know nothing about, especially if it concerns animals.

>>2532183
Not directly as far as I know, but of course they're trying to get any sort of pet trade banned. They're probably just too normie to know about inverts as pets.
>>
File: tarantula.png (51 KB, 620x203)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>2532183
From a peta article about tarantulas.
>>
File: 1497298408338.jpg (26 KB, 480x480)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>2532391
>tarantulas getting lonely
>>
File: 20171121_184254.jpg (1.08 MB, 900x1600)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
Gee Bill! How come your keeper let's you eat TWO flies?
>>
File: 1508670957724.jpg (204 KB, 1200x1175)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>2532391
Ah yes, the overwhelming stress of not having to deal with predators/parasites/weather and always getting fed instead of starving to death randomly. The sheer unnaturalness of exceeding your average natural lifespan several times over because your keeper can't supply your "complex needs".

Maybe if they hate unnatural conditions so much they should go back to africa, strip down naked and eat berries and roots?
>>
File: REALLY GOOD.png (89 KB, 341x327)
89 KB
89 KB PNG
>>2532391
That's just fuckin rich
>>
File: 1492636405789.jpg (101 KB, 853x772)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>2532391
>>
Anyone in Australia breed phasmids? Looking to network
>>
File: 20171121_214714.jpg (2.06 MB, 3264x1840)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
Getting stuff set up for a mantis coming tomorrow. This was the smallest they had so it's pretty oversized. It'll still work right? Bottle for scale.
>>
File: 20171121_214500.jpg (2.02 MB, 3264x1840)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>2532816
Man eco earth is some pretty cool stuff. How long would this last? Literally a bucket full for 3 tiny mantids.
>>
There was a little Jumping Spider who crawled across my monitors last night. He hung out on them, going from one end to the other, sometimes chilling on my screen looking at my mouse.

I put him outside just now. I don't have enough bugs to keep him alive and he didn't want any of the cookie or pepperoni I offered him. I hope he's okay. He couldn't have been bigger than 4mm.

I'm gonna miss seeing him wiggling his arms at me. Good luck lil guy.
>>
>>2532821
A story of love and loss, makes my heart quiver in sadness. You made me feel again.
>>
>>2532816
Also want to mention that this isn't the final setup for this enclosure. Just sort of planned out where I want those sticks to be. Just got done adding substrate.
>>
>>2532850

I just hope I made the right decision.
>>
File: Surprised Aztec.jpg (180 KB, 716x777)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>2531376

>go home
>find one of those creepy looking centipedes happily walking around my living room
>remind myself that /an/ told me about how these hungry motherfuckers behave
>carefully grab a piece of paper and take him to my back yard
>leave him in a tree
>inmediatly notice how he picks on a triangular shaped looking spider
>it's coweb is balanced between a leaf and my fence
>looks pretty tough, little guy can't even reach the co-
>RULES OF NATURE.webm
>The fucker gives zero fucks and jumps from one leaf to the other
>he lands in top of the motherfucking spider
>mfw

It's like watching Doomguy, but in the form of a thousand-legged creature that even the demons fear
>>
File: YOU ARE HUGE.jpg (46 KB, 480x480)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>2532863
noice

do it again, but record his antics
>>
File: 20171122_125629.jpg (1.26 MB, 3264x1840)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
Popa spurca :D
>>
File: golith2-1.jpg (262 KB, 1023x897)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>
File: Kaiser.jpg (236 KB, 2048x1536)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
Pic realted. It's mah boi Kaiser.

I don't mean to channel whore but I've got like 7 videos of my two forest scorpions on there. I also don't wanna spam em here so I'll just link my most recent vid here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV10nZjlZRM

I also have a grooming video which is p NEET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx4ihzZx64o

Eating a hopper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPIXOX0JvXg&t=3s
>>
My juvenile Dryococelus australis has been wiggling it's abdomen for the past few hours. Assuming they act like most other phasmids, what is it doing? Getting ready to molt?

Pic is of the mother.
>>
>>2533575
In my experience wiggling/shaking can be a sign of mating or molting. Other things are possible but I'm no expert.
>>
>>2533575
Wait, you can actually get Dryococelus australis now? Has the breeding program been successful enough that they let them out to the hobby market?
>>
>>2533587
Noo, I really shouldn't have this one, im just fortunate enough to live where they do and have access to them. (Which is why I'm asking you guys and not them)

>>2533577
Thanks
>>
New tarantula species discovered in South America.
>>
File: dope.jpg (40 KB, 640x480)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>2533640
Damn that thing looks purdy
Species name?
How long do you think until it comes to the hobby, if at all?
>>
>>2533640
Looks pretty. What are they calling it
>>
File: 123681-850x565-mad2.jpg (29 KB, 850x565)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>tfw fruit flies fit through the fiberglass screen you just installed
>>
>>2533648
>>2533652
Hasn't been formally identified yet, but here's a quote from the article I read:

"Early analysis based only on the photographs Snyder was able to obtain suggests it may belong to the subfamily Ischnocolinae, of which some species are indeed communal"
>>
File: 20171122_201745.jpg (1.18 MB, 3264x1840)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
Hello am stick pls no bother
>>
What's the point of grasshoppers vomiting as a defense mechanism? Are there seriously predators who are deterred by this weak shit?
>>
>>2532816
Yeah, it's fine.

>>2532818
> How long would this last?
Forever basically. You don't need to change substrate with mantids. You actually don't even need substrate. If you're going for practicality a piece of paper towel in the bottom is enough, that's not very aesthetic of course.

>Literally a bucket full for 3 tiny mantids.
>>2533270

Uh, you're not putting them together, right? P. spurca have no problems eating large prey, they can cannibalize each other. Now they don't move much so it's less likely than with other species, but this definitely isn't a communal species.
>>
>>2533630
>Noo, I really shouldn't have this one, im just fortunate enough to live where they do and have access to them. (Which is why I'm asking you guys and not them)
ayy lmao
that's honestly pretty cool anon, do you have just this one or are you trying to breed them?

I wonder how long it's gonna be before they get given out to private breeders officially
>>
>>2533970
No, I'm not putting them together. If I don't put the waxworm in the tray thong he'll dig in the substrate and I'll never see him again.
>>
What is the easiest to care for/ most docile tarantula?
>>
>>2534125
There are a lot. Watch this video and/or go through this list for an overview of good choices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j77bBFCOW30
https://tomsbigspiders.com/2014/11/09/the-best-tarantula-species-for-beginners/
>>
>>2534129
Thanks for the info. I think they're really cool and interesting but I'm also pretty scared of them. Looking to get into the hobby.
>>
File: nom.jpg (13 KB, 401x480)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>2532183
>>2532391
I'm not petan but I do like the idea of "pets" that are unconfined -- basically co-existing with native species to the point where you can interact and observe regularly.

I'm hoping huntsman spiders start proliferating in california because I think having them scooting across the walls is kind of cool; it's a bigass spider that you don't even need to cage like normal "pet" spiders, they're just always around
>>
>>2534136
So.... you think invasive species are cool?
>>
>>2534133
I know that a lot of people actually do get tarantulas specifically to get over their fear of spiders, sometimes it works and they often are the ones that are the most passionate hobbyists, sometimes it doesn't and they just stay afraid of their new pet until they give it away. Either way, good luck.

If you're scared of spiders and getting into tarantulas I'd recommend getting a small(ish) juvenile or even a sling. Just the process of seeing them grow up makes the big spider that you get at the end a lot less intimidating.

Also some of my personal favorites for a beginner spider are Grammostola pulchra or Brachypelma albiceps. Sadly both of those are rather hard to get and expensive and also slow growing, so if you take my advice and do get a small one it might be years before they reach their full size. Both extremely calm and very beautiful species though, and also rather uncommon, so you will actually have something special.
>>
>>2534133
(This is assuming you're planning on holding them to get over your fear of them, which is very normal among newcomers to the hobby. Here's some things to make sure you don't make rookie mistakes.)
I mean don't get me wrong, any arachnid should never be held in the first place. So if you're scared of them, they'll only ever be in their cage. A lot of idiots who have no idea what they're doing will hold scorpions/tarantulas and do something they shouldn't, get bit and drop the poor little guys.

If you are planning on holding them to get over your fear (admirable, I'll admit.) here's what you do:

1. Don't be afraid. No arachnid is dumb enough to bite you, unless you've done something to spook it. Infact, they prefer to be on you, because the human body is 98f. Arachnids like warm temperatures.

2. Let THEM crawl on YOU to be safe. Don't risk picking them up, as you'll probably scare them and you may infact harm them as you pick them up.

3. Any arachnid that is calm and non on alert WILL attempt to idley walk around on you if given time. Don't freak out, this is normal. Even if they crawl on your face, just be still and wait for it to move to a spot you can safely move them off of you.

3. Do not EVER put pressure on them physically. This goes with any arachnid. Putting pressure on their bodies will activate their fight-or-flight instinct, and they'll bite you.

4. If you've fucked up somehow and they do bite you, control yourself, remain calm. If you flail or spazz out, you could drop and harm the arachnid. (This is why I don't recommend picking them up in the first place. It's a risk.)

5. Again, note that most arachnids are quite docile when on a human. They will most definitely not bite you, unless you do something you shouldn't.

That's all the help I can give you when it comes to handling them. I work at a mom-n-pop pet store, and I can answer any questions you might have about them.
>>
>>2534170
>Infact, they prefer to be on you, because the human body is 98f. Arachnids like warm temperatures.
That's complete bullshit and you know it. They know very well what they are walking on, and it would be EXTREMELY stupid for an animal of that size to PREFER walking on a bigger animal. Iin fact that would be a death sentence in the wild. They are one of the few animials that can directly sense CO2 (breath) and the chemicals in your skin, they know they're on skin and they do NOT like it. Don't spread this retarded misinformation please.
>>
>>2534174
Ouch, misinformation the post.
>>
File: 51231539.jpg (128 KB, 483x343)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>2534174
>>
>>2534175
>>2534181
How many tarantulas do you have? How many years of experience?
> I work at a mom-n-pop pet store
Holy shit, are you serious? That is not a qualification. And stop samefagging.

Just because the few species you get in your pet shop are docile and TOLERATE handling and have been desensitized does not mean they, or spiders in general "prefer" it. How incredibly stupid would an animal have to be to want to approach a larger animal it can clearly sense? It makes absolutely no sense. If you want I can show you the reaction of about two dozen tarantulas that don't get handled regularly to my approaching hand. Or even better, other arachnids like scorpions or whip spiders where it becomes even more clear they try to avoid you at all costs.
>>
File: 20170405_134001.jpg (2.05 MB, 2576x1932)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>2534185
>that don't get handled regularly

Well golly gee, an animal unaccustomed to human touch will be nervous and even defensive on contact, whodathunk it

Besides, both sides seem to be making sweeping generalizations. Tarantulas have individual (if quite rudimentary) personalities. No two I've interacted with have acted the same. The first one I ever met was a rose hair who was incredibly nervous at first touch until you let her "shake your hand" - that is, putting your finger under her foot and letting her "taste" you for a few seconds. After that, she would completely relax. Another rose hair I met was owned by a pothead who named her "Dank" (poor girl) and she not only liked interaction with her owner (she was nervous and skittish around me and everyone else), but she would chew on this wool sweater he always wore. My tarantula has her own moods, where she is wonderfully receptive to interaction on some days and completely unwilling to socialize the next.

Bottom line is, no tarantulas are not inherently friendly and wanting of your loving, They're very primitive animals with only rudimentary mental capacities beyond their instincts, particularly their self preservation instinct. Still, they can be worked with if done so while they are young, though even then, that carries no guarantees. They have their own little agendas and preferences (bare-bones as they are, seeing as they only pack 600000 neurons in their little heads as opposed to out 1 billion), and what they do can never be totally, infallibly dictated by either your interaction or lack thereof and insistence to either practice.

>>2534175
>>2534181
And calm down, all of you. We're not on /v/. There's no need to get in a retarded e-peen measuring contest over who's the most alpha internet man on this site.
>>
>>2534185
Once they deem you as not a threat they warm up (pun intended) to you.
>>
>>2534199
I didn't take offense to tarantulas being handled, I do it myself from time to time. But saying generally they "prefer" it is just downright wrong and could lead to spider and owner getting hurt. And I very much take offense to that.

Yes, you're right they're individuals with their own personalities and moods, so you should never generalize even the species with the most calm reputation as being "safe to handle" at all times. You have to know the spider and you have to find out if it's gonna tolerate you handling it in that exact moment. And I'd say the VAST majority of species will NOT "prefer" the heat of your hand over their instinct to defend themself or flee when suddenly they notice they are either ON a large animal or one is approaching. That's just a downright stupid thing to say and that's what got me mad.

And someone that's most likely gonna order his first T online (because we tell him too, because pet shops are shit with inverts) is not gonna get one that's used to handling most likely, even if it is a generall calm species.

>>2534204
The vast majority will never warm up to you though. Don't get the impression that they're all harmless fluffy animals just because the majority of individuals of very commonly available species are like that. Overall, when you don't just consider typical "pet shop" species they are just not like that.
>>
File: 20170727_105140.jpg (1.32 MB, 2576x1932)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>2534216
Preaching to the choir, man.
Can also confirm the last bit. Felicia was an online purchase and she'a finicky little girl. It is wonderful when she is in the mood, though. She's not always a fan of handling, but she's almost always fine with me petting her legs.
>>
>>2534216
You're making assumptions. If done properly you can handle your ts without them getting defensive or scared. Careful, slow movements with letting the climb to you themselves. Making it a common occurrence will help them learn that they are safe around you.
>>
File: 20171123_155949.jpg (1015 KB, 3264x1840)
1015 KB
1015 KB JPG
So fucking cool
>>
>>2533972
So far just one, I have access to more but I want to see if this one is actually a female first before I consider breeding as they can reproduce via Parthenogenesis.

& honestly unless I start introducing them into the hobby you're looking at at least 5-10 years. We haven't even been able to reintroduce them here despite a booming captive population because of the 'rat problem'
>>
my subadult mantis is afraid of my hand i think, everytime i hold my hand close to her so she can walk onto it she just stands there, when i come closer she walks backwards. she also wont eat anything from tweezers. can i train her to not be afraid? i want to handle her at least when she is adult
>>
Hey guys can we get some leech love in this thread? https://youtu.be/0s0k0yJzjpA?t=1m25s
>>
>>2534611
Use honey to make it a little bit of a better deal for him. When you put your hand in front of the mantis use your other hand to tap his bottom.
>>
File: 031-1.jpg (202 KB, 1024x768)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>
>>2534611
>can i train her to not be afraid?
No, they will always feel threatened by something that's moving and larger than them, every mantis is like this. If you want to handle you have to do it differently. Put your hand in front of the mantis, flat so it doesn't look big and then gently poke the butt so it goes forward. Once they're on your hand just let them walk freely, don't grab them. That's how you can handle pretty much any mantis.
>>
>>2533935
The ones with a sense of smell/taste, most likely vertebrates.
>>
>>2534646
Does putting leeches on your taint actually do that? Sounds like medieval folk medicine.
>>
File: IMG_0999.jpg (451 KB, 1031x773)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
My Chalcosoma atlas female left a ton of grubs behind
>>
>>
File: 20171125_015844.jpg (992 KB, 3264x1840)
992 KB
992 KB JPG
HANDICAPPED BUDWING UPDATE. I went to check on his about 30 minutes ago and he looked much brighter in coloration that he usually does. Upon closer inspection, all of his legs look fine and appear to work properly. His body is shaped completely normally and he's just chilling and resting in his favorite spot grooming himself. It took me a minute to find but I located his molt at the bottom of the cage! I believe this means that he completed the molt before his crippled legs made him fall! I'm tremendously relieved, I'm happy my very first mantis didn't die an l2. Pic related. On leg may still look off but I can confirm they both work functionally.
>>
File: 1508541654791.jpg (88 KB, 630x620)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>2532863
>be 10
>going to go see some movie with Dad, waiting on the front step for him to finish fucking around
>watching a spooder that had build a web between between the porch light and the roof.
>he is sitting comfy in the middle of his web, we can only hope to attain such comfyness.
>dumbfuck fly that was putzing around by the light shits the bed and flies into the web.
>1 second delay of the fly struggling
>spider turns to face it
>"ow ma wo ma wo shindeiru"
>"NANI?"
>spider teleports on to the fly and starts wrapping it up in silk

Man spiders are speedy boys I tell ya
>>
File: cat7.jpg (10 KB, 364x364)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
MY DADDY LONG LEGS IS MISSING
I just randomly found a fruit fly in the kitchen, thinking finally, dude hasn't seen any food in weeks/months, maybe I can catch it, then I find him missing, as if he fell down, starved to death
(or he's found greener pastures in another corner of my room, but he's been there over an year)
>>
>>2535342
Congrats anon! That's great to hear.

Looks like he/she is through the worst of it, should be smooth sailing from now on.

Are you still getting the other one? If you get lucky and get a male and female you can even breed them later!
>>
Is there a species of spider or opilone that could live in a decent sized group in the average drawer? I’ve always seen shittons in caves, but I have no idea if that is just a seasonal thing or what. I’d like to make a nice habitat, but don’t have much space.
>>
>>2535504
Yeah one of his back legs is a bit stubby but it's still a HUGE improvement. It's nice to see him walk without stumbling anywhere. Any ideas for a name?
>>
Doing poses for the camera
>>
Whats the most aggressive invertebrate? Asking for a friend.
>>
>>2535891
Orange baboon tarantulas are pretty psycho.
>>
>>2535891
Does it really matter if you state if you are asking for a friend?

Asking for a friend.
>>
File: orange bitey thing.jpg (170 KB, 1024x1536)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>2535891
this>>2535913
>>
File: thats my fetish.png (492 KB, 848x453)
492 KB
492 KB PNG
>>2535351
Saw the same thing happen in my bathroom today, but it was a battle between two spiders

One of my daddy long legs (I'll name him Diaz for now on) made a sick looking nest near the window of my bathroom. You know the wormhole from Interestellar? Yup, it looks like that, and it's pretty fucking sick

In any case, here's how it went down

>Diaz is chilling right in the middle of his death-sphere
>Some flies that got stuck on it make the illusion that he is the Sun, and the unlucky bastards are orbiting him
>Cool as fuck, would take a picture if my phone wasn't broken
>Suddently, an unidentifyed, tough looking bastard crawls out of nowhere
>A DARK SPIRIT HAS INVADED YOUR REALM
>It touches Diaz coweb
>''Shall we test the rushing speed of our Stands?''
>''ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA''
>''MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA''
>Imagine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQrrEpky2aQ but with spiders instead of robots

Poor Diaz lost a leg, but he summoned a ghost and won at the end of the day

We need a powerlevel cap for inverts and arachnids
>>
Can someone sex this boy for me?
>>
File: 20171125_191037.jpg (1.1 MB, 3264x1840)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>2535962
Forgot image
>>
>>2535966
male
>>
File: 20171126_030329.jpg (835 KB, 3264x1840)
835 KB
835 KB JPG
>>2535974
And this one?
>>
Do hermit crabs require heat all year round? I live In northern straya where the summers are pre warm so was thinking about only using the heater in winter or when it drops below 20 degrees Celsius.

Also is using a heater that has a light a bad thing for them? Like should I go with an under tank heater so there’s not a fuckhuge light hanging above them 24/7?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (93 KB, 899x772)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>2536230
Can't tell. Your pic needs to show the underside of the abdomen. Males have 8 segments, females 6.
>>
>>2535090
damn thats sweet
>>
>>2536312
That sounds like a huge pain in the ass lol (pun intended). Supposedly I got 1 male and 1 female. This one should be a female since we already deduced the other one is male. Thanks for your help.
>>
>>2536373
>That sounds like a huge pain in the ass
Well it gets easier to see as they grow up, but that is generally how you sex mantids.

>his one should be a female since we already deduced the other one is male.
You should still check to see if you didn't get scammed or something
>>
>>2536373
This
>>2536374

I'd wait for a molt or two then count the segments. Its really simple though
>>
File: mantisbro2.webm (1.63 MB, 1280x720)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB WEBM
Here's mr.somewhat-still-handicapped-but-no-big-deal eating a fruit fly. He's actually upside down right there but my phone makes it look otherwise.
>>
File: 20171126_223642.jpg (904 KB, 3264x1840)
904 KB
904 KB JPG
Got some GREAT pictures of him. Absolutely wonderful colors.
>>
File: 20171126_223612.jpg (799 KB, 3264x1840)
799 KB
799 KB JPG
>>
>>2536270
Heater on the side of the tank all year. Lights not nessesary unless you want to see them better
>>
File: 20171127_170304.jpg (416 KB, 909x1016)
416 KB
416 KB JPG
These Idolos are giving me a headache. Keeping the male seperated for a few days did motivate him to jump on the female, but he constantly seems to be unable to connect. His legs are so long that he can't reach her like this, but he never lowers his body either. He's just wiggling around with his abdomen, never succeeding.

He made his first attempt on Saturday. I checked on him late at night and he wasn't connected, and when I did again in the early morning they were seperated. Considering there were only 4-5 hours between I don't think they successfully mated and he just gave up. I've put them in an undecorated net cage today to try and see if I can help the male somehow, but I can't think of anything. I thought that he might have a better chance if they weren't hanging upside down, but the female won't accept it if I turn the cage around and instantly climbs back up.

Maybe he's just too old by now. I wish the other male would finally grow up, but his wingbuds aren't even slightly swollen yet.
>>
File: pinning2.jpg (457 KB, 1200x694)
457 KB
457 KB JPG
I made a video about my Carolina mantis, the ooths they laid, and pinning them.

https://youtu.be/Yj8mbWooLJA
>>
>>2537648
Nice video. Well produced. Not that retarded low-effort shit most people here advertise. Liked and subscribed.
>>
Why are snails so cute, /an/ons?
>>
>>2537849
They look like little gummy bears
>>
File: B.vagans adult.jpg.jpg (152 KB, 895x653)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>
>>2537383
He clearly is a cuck and doesn't deserve to breed.

Ok but seriously, that sucks. Is the separate enclosure heated? Maybe that will get him going (flying). It seemed to work for my Heterochaeta.
>>
File: 20171127_170130.jpg (255 KB, 576x768)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
>>2538278
Yeah, the only issue is him simply being too incompetent to put benis in bagina. Next time he attempts it I guess I'll try to carefully push it upwards.
>>
File: Spurdo.jpg (82 KB, 1600x900)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>2538299
>mfw
Do you sometimes wonder where our lives have gone so wrong?

Also that Idolomantis female looks so thin, don't they get fatter? I think you know this, but both of mine have mismolted so I only have two males now, so I don't actually know if they get THICC or not.
>>
>>2537729

Thanks, anon.
>>
File: 20171128_221421.jpg (178 KB, 605x807)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>2538308
>Do you sometimes wonder where our lives have gone so wrong?
At least we're not this guy

https://youtu.be/WQsPEhJ1BmU?t=3m10s

>Also that Idolomantis female looks so thin, don't they get fatter?
She laid a pretty big unfertilized ooth a few days ago, and since she refuses roaches it takes an unholy amount of flies to slowly fatten her up again. The other female is starting to get thicker now, probably ready to mate by next week too.
>>
My local Petco sells these "giant islander roaches" they look a lot like hissing cockroaches, but I am not sure. Anybody know what exactly they are?
>>
>>2532406
I looked at your image before I read your post and that was my first thought hahaha. What did he do with them?
>>
My ghost mantis is refusing food for some reason and i fear it is the temp of my room. Thia time of year it stays a round 76 degrees F but it can drop at night. Whats the best way to keep my little guy toasty? Its not an adult yet btw. This actually began after its most resent molt.
>>
>>2531376
I think everyone knows by now that the easiest way to get a huntsman spider to stop coming in your house is to flip it over and suck its dick.
Hear me out.
Carry a spatula around and when you see one, flip it onto its back. They're surprisingly docile once they're in that position. Then, all you need to do is gently press on its abdomen to retract its penis. It will be small; approximately the size of a thin pencil eraser. Use the tip of your tongue to manipulate it to full erection, then suck with your lips until it ejaculates; usually 30-45 minutes later. If you don't feel the rush of semen, you will know by its legs scratching playfully at your face when it gets oversensitive afterwards.
The main trick is not to swallow the spider semen. Trust me, I know it will be tempting. But no, pick up the spider and let him outside, then drool its ejaculate material near the entrances to your house. Spiders are highly promiscuous, and its semen mixed with your saliva will signal him to move on to another house. Spiders do NOT like to get their dick sucked by the same person twice.
>>
File: SP-2973011P_1.jpg (22 KB, 500x500)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>2538864
He ate about half of both of them.

>>2538872
As long as it doesn't drop below 20C/68F at night it's fine. A night time drop is actually good for most mantids. For heating during the day you can use a lamp on a timer. It doesn't have to be a special heatlamp or anything, I just use 35 and 50W halogen bulbs in one of these cheap lamps (pic related). Position it so far away that the warmest spot at the top has around 30C/86F. Then the mantis can search for the ideal temperature itself.
>>
Is there a list of mantis species that I can just keep on a plant in my room?
>>
>>2535891
Giant centipedes are angry little assholes as far as I've heard
>>
Heres some photos I just took of two of my snails and my white isopod (along with what theyre named after)

Jack is around 2 and a half years old, Ellis is 6 months or so, and i have no idea how old Qiu Tong is, i just noticed her one day under some bark in with the rest of my isopods.

the rest of my isopods arent named, aside from an orange-spotted one i call Lil' Faggot.
>>
>>2539167
>Oh and William?
>Yes sir?
>Slither to quarters.
>>
File: aubrey OH YOU.jpg (31 KB, 540x235)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
OH YOU
>>
I had no clue why she was doing this until I noticed that there was a Dubai that was wedged in the moss, and I when came in the morning, she was eating the roach. I thought she was just being a weirdo
>>
>>2539216
>Dubai
kek

Chow time
>>
First M. violaceus ooth incoming!

>>2539101
>Is there a list of mantis species that I can just keep on a plant in my room?
Not really, but I can tell you what does and doesn't work. The ones that stay in place are generally the big, "normal" looking ones, so Hierodula, Sphodromantis, Rhombodera, Plistospilota. Out of those Rhombodera will not work because your room will be too low humidity.

Also unless your room is exceedingly warm (25C/75F all day) whatever mantis you put there isn't gonna do well without additional heat.

Also unless that plant is directly at a window the mantis isn't gonna stay on it.

Also if you have a male it's gonna start searching for females regardless of what you do.

tl;dr put it in an enclosure
>>
File: 20171129_133024.jpg (937 KB, 900x1600)
937 KB
937 KB JPG
>>2539238
whoops, forgot my image
>>
Anyone knows if this spiders are dangerous? I own a lot with fruit trees and two weeks ago these spiders with yellow legs, yellow and white on the body spiders spawned but were only two and this morning the trees and grass were full of webs and there are alot of them but I felt they were harmless and felt bad, problem is im having guests come over in saturday so better be safe
>>
>>2539304
If your guests plan on fully undressing, vigorously humping the webs and then not cleaning any possible bites or showering at all for two weeks then they're pretty dangerous.
>>
>>2539307
>If your guests plan on fully undressing, vigorously humping the webs
Not undressing but they will probably want to pick some fruit on the trees
>>
>>2537648
i really like your fairy vid. you should do more vids like that where you ramble about shit
>>
File: 20171130_024813.webm (2.95 MB, 1280x720)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
I have decided to name my previously-crippled budwing Lt. Dan. Here he is fucking a fruit fly up.
>>
>>2539696
What a retarded fly. No wonder they're used as feeders.
>>
>>2539238
That doesn't sound too great. I was planning to use a plant that is in fact sitting right next to both a window and a heater. However due to the direction my window is facing I get barely any natural light. I was planning on getting a lamp for it either way though, I'll just try it and see how it works out, if it doesn't I'll put him in an enclosure.
>>
>>2539743
>I was planning to use a plant that is in fact sitting right next to both a window and a heater
That sounds good, except the heater, especially now in winter, will probably lower the humidity even further. If that is on you'll probably have to spray water twice a day (morning and evening) so the mantis can drink.

>However due to the direction my window is facing I get barely any natural light.
As long as there is no other window in the room that is a lot brighter the mantis will stay there.

>I was planning on getting a lamp for it either way though
Yeah, that's definitely required. Make extra sure to position it so the mantis absolutely can not get to it, they will realize it's hot but only after they burn their feet.
>>
>>2539761
I spray twice a day for my other mantis either way, so that would not be a problem. There is only this one window too.

I have 3 ceiling spotlights in my room, one is located directly above the plant, with a distance of about 1m, I guess that would work fine?

I am looking at Hierodula Membranacea right now, they seem to be the most popular species to keep without an enclosure.
>>
>SSSSSSLUUUUUUUUUUURP
>>
>>2539847
spodr must stay hyddratid ;))
>>
>>2539847
I've NEVER seen any of my spiders drink from a bowl. You're lucky to see that.
>>
>>2539847
thrty psodr
>>
File: jet.jpg (96 KB, 720x1280)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>2539847
>>
File: miep2.png (753 KB, 540x960)
753 KB
753 KB PNG
>>2539847
>>2539883
>>
File: argyroneta_aquatica.jpg (168 KB, 600x700)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>when you're so thirsty that you build your web underwater
>>
Hey guys, my blue bottle fly pupaes got here and a good amount of them are still maggots. Do the maggots require any special care or do I just wait for them to pupate?
>>
>>2539947
they will pupate eventually, but it will be faster if they are warm and cozy. if you put them in the fridge it might take weeks.
>>
>>2539947
>>2539950
Also they are escape artists, you wouldn't believe what they can squeeze through. The best way to prevent them getting out is to stop them from trying. Give them a bit of substrate to burrow in and they'll no longer try to get out.
>>
>>2539950
Good thing to know they don't require food. I guess I'll just have to keep them warm then. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>2539956
I plant to not even give them a chance. As soon as one hatches I'm going to stick the entire container in the fridge to slow it, an then I'll take it out and toss it in for my mantids while it's still sluggish.
>>
>>2539958
I mean the maggots themselves. They squeeze through everything.
>>
>>2539959
Well that's fucking gross. Fortunately I have them in a deli cup so I'm not too worried about it. The only thing that's there are some tiny air holes.
>>
>>2539960
Throw in an handful of dirt, trust me. You know those boxes they sell crickets in? They can get out of those.
>>
>>2539962
They came in some kind of woodish looking shavings. The stuff people keep wax worms in. Will that do?
>>
>>2539956
when i had maggots for the first time I put around 20 of them in little plastic baggies, pic related, 1 maggot per bag. not sure why, i guess i was just experimenting.

i then put all the little baggies in a bigger transparent plastic bag and I closed the end with zip ties.

i'm rather lucky that i did that, because the next day each maggot escaped their small bag, they just forced them open. since then i just dump the maggots in a big glass jar, with some weird long hay as a substrate that i got when i ordered a bunch of flies from kerf. over the opening i tied this stocking fabric stuff, and i cut a hole in the middle, and on top of the hole i place a transparent container (a drinking glass).

the maggots usually try to climb out at first, but they cant stick to the fabric so they can't get out, eventually they go deep into the substrate and pupate. then at some point they turn into flies and manage to get through the hole in the top and into the glass. then i shove two pieces of paper between the jar and the glass, and lift the glass with one sheet and feed it to my mantis. then i put the glass back on the sheet that is still on the jar and then remove that sheet. it's kind of complicated but it works for me.
>>
>>2539967
Probably not. Can you not just get a handful of potting soil or something?

>>2539969
I put them into these cups with a little bit of substrate. They don't climb the sides, they just burrow straight away. Once they're all pupated I replace the lid with a cut off stocking and make a knot in it.
>>
>>2539972
forgot my image of course
>>
>>2539972
It's fine. I have eco earth I'll use.Just going to be a pain in the ruckus to replace the stuff.
>>
Are dubia roaches immortal? Despite not feeding them for 2 months, they still endure and procreate.
>>
>>2539978
Just throw it on top and give it a shake. Or do you still have them in that flat round little box? If so just dumping everything together in something taller and throwing the eco earth on top will do the trick.
>>
>>2539979
They're roaches, what do you expect? Man I freaking love dubias for feeders. High protein, no noise, no smell, live bearing, lots of babies, can't climb or fly, etc. Great little bastards.
>>
>>2539981
Doneso. So since it's faster for them to pupate than to hatch they'll likely end up all pupae before the majority hatch? If so, as soon as they pupate I'll fridgerate them
>>
>>2539988
yes, i never had one hatch before all were pupae'd for days.
>>
>>2539984
I agree, they’re my favorite feeders. But they got too big for my spiders, so I decided to let nature take its course. I just didn’t realize what course nature would take.

I’m used to crickets dying a week after I get them.
>>
>>2539991
Sweet. Thanks for answering my questions. Pretty new to the hobby so I had quite a few.
>>
>>2539992
Ugh, I hate crickets. They're everything dubias aren't.
>>
>>2539992
Get some red runners (Blatta lateralis) or Panchlora nivea. Both also extremely good feeders but smaller and softer. And of course also way better than crickets.

>>2539992
>I’m used to crickets dying a week after I get them.
Put them into something bigger, give them real food (oatmeal, then something with protein in it like fish food or dried Gammaruis so they stop eating each other and some cucumber or other watery vegetable so they can get water without drowing). They will last a lot longer.
>>
>>2540001
I typically use oatmeal and orange cube.
>red runners
Good idea. Plus my gf will like the idea of feeding turkroaches to my spiders.

>>2540000
Amen to that.
>>
File: 20171130_134910.jpg (1.34 MB, 2560x1536)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
Can anybody identify this duse? Was showering and find him on my hand. Put him in a safe place so he can build a web.
>>
File: xysticus_cristatus.jpg (51 KB, 632x548)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>2540103
Looks like some kind of crab spider, genus Xysticus maybe.
>>
>>2540106
Fuck, guess he won't be building that web
>>
File: 20171130_233214.webm (2.92 MB, 800x450)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB WEBM
smol danger noodle
>>
>>2540170
Holy hell, just look at that little sumbitch move.

You'd think something with that many legs would have trouble coordinating them let alone going full on sanic speeds like that
>>
File: fixed.jpg (2.74 MB, 3872x2588)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
This is my girl Dawn.
>>
Finally getting my first Heterochaeta ooth. Female is working on it right now! No pics because I really don't wan to disturb her, but man, that was an adventure.

She's building it right on the top mesh of her mesh cage though, which is pretty dumb. Guess I'll have to move a heat lamp over there and take some temperature measurements beforehand.
>>
>>2540202
Theraphosa? Very nice. Which one exactly?

I'll probably never get one, I mean they're great big fucking spoodes, but I just don't wanna deal with the hairs.
>>
File: Gooty_november_8_2016.jpg (818 KB, 1629x1763)
818 KB
818 KB JPG
Whats the best web making spooders?

I'd like to make a desktop vertical enclosure and i'd like to put something in it that takes advantage of its real estate.

I was thinking a poecilotheria metallica.
>>
File: 523523.jpg (1.88 MB, 2592x1936)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>2540246
She's a Strimi, and yea, hairs suck. She's urticated at me before. She's still pretty small.
>>
>>2540293
Stirmis are at the top of my eventual wishlist, man.

>>2540283
Pokies web up pretty nice, but so do a lot of african species, like M balfouri and P murinus
>>
>>2540283
Avics tend to web a lot, A. juruensis, A. metallica and C. versicolor come to mind.

P. murinus and C. cyaneopubescens are also huge webbers, even more so than most arboreal species, but they're probably better off in a horizontal enclosure.
>>
File: sexual dimorphism.jpg (15 KB, 220x165)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>2539929
>one of the few spider species where the male is much larger than the female

so cool
>>
>>2540314
Hope you eventually get one, they're amazing animals. They are wanting tho, gotta be real conscious about their cage temperature and humidity.
>>
my devils flower and my old thistle mantis both died ;(
i now have a male and female pair and two chinese fuckers. lets hope these ones dont die now
>>
>>2540283
If you're talking spiders in general and not just tarantulas take a look at the available Linothele. Linothele megatheloides in particular will fill your enclosure with web in just a few days.
For tarantuals you already got great suggestsion.

The ones that web most in my collection and haven't been mentioned are Avic purpurea, Heteroscodra maculata and Tapinauchenius violaceus. Strangely all of my pokies really don't web that much outside of their hide.
>>
>>2539992
What spiders do you have that baby dubias are too big? I feed 2i N. incei slings baby dubias and they take them pretty happily.
>>
File: original-1380184532450.png (1.06 MB, 800x600)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>2540408
Oh I know. Blondis are even worse, which makes me want a stirmi much more
>>
File: 20171201_164742.jpg (898 KB, 900x1600)
898 KB
898 KB JPG
Today was a good day. The Heterochaeta ooth is huge (and looks like a turd, for some reason I was expecting a long and thin ooth, which is pretty silly), the M. violaceus produced another ooth too and just now I saw that the first Haania babies have hatched.

Boy I thought Metallyticus nymphs were small. These things are fucking microscopic. A single springtail is a full meal to them.
>>
Just got my Holothele incei in today. Have 2 of them and want to house them communally.... can I house them together right away or wait until they have had a meal?
>>
>>2540917
I'd wait, just to be safe. And then give them plenty of space so if they don't like each other after all they can avoid each other.
>>
I have a dead scorpion carcass, would it be safe to crush it up and smoke it?
>>
>>2541064
You'll be cursed.
>>
>>2537648
I found a perfect carolina female to pin for my collection, but she seemed gravid and I was too far away from home to safely capture her and keep her in captivity till she would lay the ooth. I decided to not take her because of that, and because I had a female carolina that I was already raising.
The one I raised turned out to be a subpar specimen, though she was absolutely viscous and produced four ooths over two mates.
Next year I think I'll be able to take a native female without too much guilt and add her to my collection.

What's your opinion on the forceps you used in the video? I do most of my work by hand or with a needle, but the forceps seemed helpful.
>>
>>2538356
>hey man where do you want to jerk off one dog and finger another?
>front yard I reckon
fucking vert's
>>
>>2540727
The adults are too big. I still use the babbys
>>
File: Widowmaker.jpg (199 KB, 672x672)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>''Cool spider yo! What's its name?''
>''Widowmaker''

>naming your pets after videogame characters
>>
>>2541181
Literally no one here has admitted to doing that. What are you on about m8
>>
File: 20171201_230804.jpg (1.81 MB, 4032x2268)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
guys i live in southeast michigan.
what is this guy?
>>
>>2541237
Looks like a Boxelder bug
Boisea trivittata
>>
>>2541242
yep thats definitely it, thanks.
also, seems like these guys can get in to my room... 2nd time in just a few days. is there any common house probem where they might get in?
>>
>>2541245
They feed on tree seeds, so it's not like they'll wreck anything or create termite like problems.They do get congregational though, so if there's too many crawling around, you may just have to look into some pest control.
>>
>>2541246
>They feed on tree seeds
Rip Anons exotic tree seed collection.
>>
>>2534136
Now you're a special kind of stupid ain't ya
>>
File: das-it-mane-bear.jpg (122 KB, 640x427)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>2535416
He came back from the grave yesterday! I was so thrilled. He actually made a walkway to over the wardrobe.
praise georges!
>>
Anyone know how terrible of an idea it is to get a snail from Texas and ship it over to New York?
I want to get a single live land snail that has a decent lifespan and isn't big like the African meme snail. However, I've learned that buying a snail or two in NY is like pulling fucking teeth. I've been told I should just dig for a snail myself, but frost already hit here so I'm screwed until spring at least. I'm going to Texas over winter break and thought about digging up a snail there, but I had a few concerns;
>i know I can't transport invasive species, but will TSA be knowledgeable enough about snails to know that the species I'm transporting is also naturally occurring in NY or am I fucked on that end?
>how can I assure my snail will be comfy during the trip? I have a strong feeling it will die on check in luggage
>i really only want one snail, but should I grab a couple and assume some will die? I really don't want babies.
>if I do get 'caught' 'smuggling' snails, will I be treated like an eco-terrorist?
Please, I just want a snail. Why is it so fucking hard.
>>
>>2541571
congratules
>>
>>
>>2542645
Nice jeans.
>>
>>2542665
It's not wearing blue jeans, the spider is just that color naturally.
>>
File: smug bug.jpg (110 KB, 591x640)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>2542683
anon...
>>
>>2541245
Idk about prevention but my girlfriends house is covered in these fuckers. They shit all over the exterior walls.
>>
Bought a Hierodula Majascula at the "largest zoo store in the world" yesterday. By the time I walked across the parking lot she was laying still on her side on the bottom of the box. I was already sure that she had died for some reason. Luckily after 15 minutes in the car she was fine again. I guess it was too cold? Anyways, they had like a hundred spider species, but only around 5 mantis species, including a few nymphs in the plastic boxes that they ship in and one adult in a huge terrarium.
>>
Is it a bad idea to put a mantis ootheca in my garden? There's a lot of plants, and lots of flying insects in my garden all the time. I think in summer they surely could survive here.
>>
Noticed my mantids wingbuds are starting to swell up. In general, how close is she to molt? H. Membranacea.
>>
>>2542978
If it's a native species then I don't see why not
>>
>>2541586

drive
>>
I have some mealworms for my leopard gecko. I didn't really want to keep them in the refrigerator, so I have them in a cool whip container with rolled oats and a slice of Apple. It has only been two days and I already have found a pupa. What should I do? I don't think I can care for several hundred darkling beetles. What do I do with them once I have a beetle? Should I just chill the worms and not worry about it?
>>
File: 20171204_123456.jpg (1.07 MB, 1600x900)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
Oh my what a pretty lady. Time to go into a nice looking enclosure now that the critical part is over.

>>2542879
>Bought a Hierodula Majascula at the "largest zoo store in the world" yesterday.
Oh boy. How much did you pay? What instar is it? What's your setup? What are you feeding? Did you do any research beforehand?

>I guess it was too cold?
Maybe. Could also be a weak animal that's behind on development that they sold you to get rid of it.

>Anyways, they had like a hundred spider species, but only around 5 mantis species
That's because they can mostly ignore the spiders and they stay alive but a mantis needs more effort so they can't stock as many.

>>2543069
Depends on how old she is. If she's quite big and the wingbuds are JUST starting to swell up it could be 1 to 2 more weeks.
>>
File: 20171204_125003.jpg (1.06 MB, 1600x900)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>2543315
>>
>>2543315
I just paid 10€. It's not my first mantis, but I will try to keep this one on a plant. Don't know what instar, I'm guessing L4 because her legs are still really thin. She's already eating the big flies just fine, she doesn't seem weak to me at all.
>>
Hey guys my mom wants to get a tarantula. What is the absolute best species? Looking for one that is slow and easy to hold. It will be her first bug as a pet. I was thinking about the Arizona/Desert/Palamino Blonde those are all just different names for the same species right?
>>
What could I get for a 2.5 gallon hex tank? I just want something I can sort of watch at night before bed. So I want it move around, at least a little, and maybe be able to hold it once ina great while.

I'm fond of roaches, but not sure if thats a good choice.

Or, alternatively, I also have a one gallon.
>>
Anyone seeing any Euathlus sp. red for sale in the US? Or is Net Bug the only place that has them right now?
>>
>>2543519
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrO6WODgDTo
>>
>>2533652
>what are they calling it
Badly camouflaged
>>
File: wasp.jpg (426 KB, 1507x1281)
426 KB
426 KB JPG
found this little guy dead on my windowsill.
Looks like a tiny wasp, but I'm no entomologist; I'm in southern oregon, but I haven't been able to find anything that matches him..
>>
File: wasp2.jpg (450 KB, 1511x1373)
450 KB
450 KB JPG
>>2543713
>>
>>2543713
>>2543716
he ok?
>>
>>2543575
Well, a mantis will fit inside for sure, and depending on species wont need much care. However your biggest problem with any animal inside of that will be ventilation. A mantis will only work if you can diy some fine mesh on top. I'm sure somebody here knows the proper name of that stuff. Apart from that, look for stuff that can climb well, since you probably wont be able to see anything from bed when your animal is always sitting on the floor.
>>
>>2543519
Yeah, those are all the confusing, overlapping and arbitrary common names for Aphonopelma chalcodes. It's usually better to use the latin names for spiders, not only is it much less confusing but if you google that name you'll usually get much better information and not land on mom sites. And yeah. A. chalcodes is a pretty good beginner speices, though my personal favorite is Grammostola pulchra. That one is gonna be quite a bit more expensive and harder to find though.

https://tomsbigspiders.com/2014/11/09/the-best-tarantula-species-for-beginners/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j77bBFCOW30
>>
>>2541080

I’m always worried I’ll damage them, so I’m as careful as I can be with them. I don’t know how I’d do wings without forceps.

I have no idea if my own ooths are fertile. I just have to wait.
>>
>>2543575
>2.5 gallon hex tank
What are the actual dimensions?

From what I've seen on google it seems to be quite high. Other anon already said mantis and that's a good suggestion, if you can provide a mesh top for ventilation. Depending on the size a smaller arboreal tarantula like Ybyrapora diversipes could also work well.
>>
What are some good pet roach species? My girlfriend loves my dubia colony so I was thinking of getting her some. Preferably some that reach a decent size and aren't skittish.
>>
File: 20171125_013328.jpg (1.05 MB, 1600x900)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>2544466
The obvious answer would be hissing roaches (Gromphadorrhina). Very big, very docile and slow.
Other big roaches are Blaberus and Eublaberus species, though those are definitely smaller and also not as slow (but still not very fast compared to other roaches).
>>
File: 20171206_030711.jpg (1.99 MB, 900x1600)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
Freshly molted tiny P. sazimai sling. Already very blue, with reddish setae that give it an almost purple color irl, doesn't really come across on camera.

I did not expect them to start becoming colorful at this size, they're barely 1".
>>
>>2543575
Baby coconut crab
>>
I've seen all of my mantis' molts, but I always missed the moment where he completely left the old "skin". Usually it falls down right away, only one time it kept sticking to the top.

What do they actually grab onto after the molt, just anything that is close or can they actually climb up on the old skin?

Also, is it normal for a nymph to take an hour to finish a fly?
>>
>>2544614
>What do they actually grab onto after the molt, just anything that is close or can they actually climb up on the old skin?
Both. If I see my large ones molt I try to put a stick in front of them to grab after they're done, but usually they climb up their old skin. I'm just kinda paranoid about it holding with the large and heavy ones.

>Also, is it normal for a nymph to take an hour to finish a fly?
Not really, but maybe it's just not very hungry or distracted.
>>
>>2544498
I'll look into them, thanks anon.
>>
File: 20171206_155840.jpg (1.85 MB, 3264x1840)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
>>2544044
Fiberglass screening is what I use. Pic related, a roll for about 7 bucks plus 3 buck thick glue perfect for adhesion to the screen. Keep in mind that there is TONS of the screening in the roll. This roll will probably last me years.
>>
File: 20171206_160218.jpg (2.62 MB, 3264x1840)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>>2545150
Here is the finished product on my kritter keeper. A VERY safe molting area.
>>
File: 20171206_155929.jpg (1.16 MB, 3264x1840)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>2545151
Although my mantis prefers his sticks
>>
>>2543932
he ded.
>>
>>2545151
Looks very good anon, very nice.

>>2545155
Well he is STICC, he's probably trying to blend in.
>>
>>2545170
I don't have any pictures of it but it's so cool when he poses. He just sticks (pun intended) his arms out and doesn't move. When I got him I thought he was dead because he was doing it.
>>
File: 00489065.jpg (155 KB, 700x477)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>2545174
>>
>>2543716
Chalcid wasp. Very pretty
>>
hey /an/
I'm thinking about getting a tarantula. Maybe a avicularia versicolor. Is it a good choice for a beginner or should I just get something else?
>>
>>2545218
It's a good choice for an arboreal beginner species. Easy to keep, quite docile, pretty, available and cheap. Ignore any caresheet and advice that tells you they need it very humid, that has led to the death of many avics. They surprisingly do better if they're kept quite dry.

Some people will tell you to not get an arboreal as your first spider because they are more skittish, can climb and jump, but if you don't plan on handling the spider I think it should be totally fine. You can handle the more docile avics (and versicolors usually are quite docile) but since they're arboreal there's always the chance that they'll bolt and they can do so quite quickly. I'd just generally avoid handling arboreals.

Also it's Caribena versicolor now, there was a taxonomic revision recently.

Also also don't think just because you got a beginner species you're somehow looked down upon, that's not the case in this hobby and the common species are often even the most cherished ones.
>>
>>2545268
And I forgot, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66NBOMgK6HQ
>>
File: image.jpg (145 KB, 800x533)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>2531376
Which is the best coleopteran family and why is is curculionidae?
>>
File: buprestid irian.jpg (349 KB, 1100x1600)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
>>2545273
You misspelled Buprestidae
>>
>>2545273
Oy vey its anudda crop rotation!
>>
>>2545268
>there was a taxonomic revision recently
There’s always a taxonomic revision recently when it comes to Ts.
>>
>>2545273
Gee I wonder who’s behind this leaf.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 640x395)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>2545299
>>2545290
>>
File: Roach Shed.jpg (265 KB, 2448x3264)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>2544498
I love hissers, one of mine shed the other day
>>
File: cicindelinae-dalsace.jpg (246 KB, 1482x1102)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
>>2545273
>Multiple extremely fucking annoying pest species
vs
>Initial D: the family
>>
>>2545268
I'm also a beginner and im really thinking about getting a tarantula, thinking a red knee/brachypelma smithi but im open to other spiders.
Only thing I'm stuck on is where to get a spider, I read its best to buy online but all the sites i found seem really shady
>>
>>2545379
Where do you live? Reptile conventions are a great way to get inverts on the cheap from good breeders.

Btw, any anons from Minnesota in here? Going to the cold blooded expo at the double tree in a week and a half.
>>
>>2545404
NJ, seems like I missed them by a few months at least
>>
>>2545268
Thanks anon
I didn't really know if the humidity was a meme or real shit since I never tried to have a tarantula before
I really like to handle spiders and only got bitten once when I was 7, don't know what spider it was tho
So is it still like something I shouldn't do? Handling one?
>>2545379
I have the same problem but I live in Portugal… Anyone knows a good shop? I don't want to risk shipping one from the US.
>>
>>2545580
Try looking into Germany. They love bugs over there
>>
hey /an/ anyone ever bought anything from jamie's tarantulas?

they seem pretty legit but i want to be sure before i spend $50 on one of their spiders
>>
>>2545379
Yes, online is best if you don't have a convention nearby. At the moment (winter) many won't ship any more and I probably wouldn't risk shipping unless they have LAG (live arrival gurantee).

Here's some recommended sites if you want to order online in the US:
http://www.jamiestarantulas.com
https://fearnottarantulas.com/shop
http://www.kenthebugguy.com
http://www.net-bug.net
http://www.swiftinverts.com
http://arachnoiden.com
https://www.pinchersandpokies.com
>>
>>2545580
>So is it still like something I shouldn't do? Handling one?
Well you can handle. And if any arboreal is handleable it's C. versicolor. The issue is just you have no experiene and you don't know how the spider will behave or react. With the slow, lazy terrestrials it's usually not an issue, they'll try to run away, but for example the versicolor might panic if you accidentally breathe on it and decide it needs to get to higher ground and jump in your face. How are you gonna react?
It would probably be best if you get a relatively small sling and try to handle that one to get a feel for it and not an adult or almost adult spider right away. The best thing of course is to not handle at all since it's just stress for the animal.

>So is it still like something I shouldn't do? Handling one?
>he said like that's an issue
m8, EU has more species and usually also for cheaper than the US
Again, the problem at the moment is shipping, it's probably too cold, so look out for expos near you. If you want I can still recommend some shops where you can order in spring.

>>2545830
Not personally (I'm in yurop) but Tom Moran recommends them and orders there and I trust him.
>>
>>2545840
I meant
>I have the same problem but I live in Portugal
>he said like that's an issue
>>
>>2545830
Ive heard very good things. I only buy from expos because i hate waiting for packages, but jamies is the only vendor ive heard of that guarantees money back if your t doesnt survive the trip
>>
>>2545379
>thinking a red knee/brachypelma smithi
honestly I'm not a fan of those for a beginner

really, really easy but that comes at a price
they eat very little, grow very slow and move almost not at all

if you think just looking at the spider is enough alright, but I think they might be a bit boring for a beginner
even more so if you don't want to buy an adult for a lot of money and get a baby instead, then you not only have a spider that just sits there but you'll also have to wait for years until it gets to an impressive size and nice coloration
>>
>>2545848
I agree with this guy. Jamies has albopilosum. Thats a great beginner
>>
>>2545848
>>2545852
Albopilosum is certainly a lot cheaper for an adult. The main reason i wanted a smithi is for the coloration and the calm temperament, but looking into it albopilosum seem more interesting
>>
>>2545848
>>2545852
Yeah. This.

Also if you don't want to handle Jamies has GBBs (pretty, active, awesome webs, doesn't like handling) though I think they're a bit expensive for the size. Then again they do grow quick.

Also they got geniculatas for a really good price (pretty, active, huge, great eaters, grows fast as fuck), but again not something to handle unless you get an uncharacteristically calm one.

Haven't looked though the other sites but there's probably a bunch more good beginner spiders there too that aren't pet rocks.
>>
>>2545858
Actually fearnottarantulas has a good beginner package deal with exactly both of those species selections, 30 day guarantee and a habitat and you also get the excellent sling care guide from Tom printed out lel

they also have LAG and you get a free spider with every order (I'd get a second one of whatever sling you get, higher chances of having a female) https://fearnottarantulas.com/fear-not-rewards/

https://fearnottarantulas.com/product-category/beginner-packages/
>>
>>2545840
I was thinking about getting one in summer.
I'm probably going to buy a sling
Versicolor, not because I want to see it grow myself, but they are blue when slings right?
Can you give some shops then? that'd be awesome!
>>2545841
The only problem were the shops desu, have no idea where to buy them from, Portugal has a perfect weather for owning a tarantula I guess.
>>
>>2545819
will do
>>
File: gallery8.jpg (48 KB, 469x700)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>2545905
Yeah, C. versicolor slings are a beautiful metallic blue that doesn't really come across in images. They sparkle.

>Can you give some shops then?
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk
https://www.bugzuk.com
http://www.spidersworld.eu/en
http://spiderstore.de/Verkaufsliste/
http://www.haarigeachtbeiner.de/?page=657a5d6aea1d221453a9368b9868004e
http://www.exotenzucht-shop.de/

>Portugal has a perfect weather for owning a tarantula I guess.
It actually might get too warm for many species during summer. Most tarantulas don't actually experience very hot temperatures in the wild, they burrow or hide in shade. During very hot days you might have to move them into a cool room or a basement.
>>
>>2546013
thanks a lot anon, you're right portugal is really hot in the summer, but usually my home temp is 25-30C, but i'll still take that advice.
See you guys in summer then
Will post pics when I get mine~
>>
>>2545290
kek
>>
>>2546013
I got one of these buggers and it's beautiful. Too bad I don't get to see it too much as it made a funnel from leaves and glued them to a piece of bark I have. I assume the spider's going to molt soon.
>>
File: 20171208_004836.jpg (901 KB, 900x1600)
901 KB
901 KB JPG
>>2546083
Mine did this, but I actually see it a lot.

Sits right on top ther all day and waits. Of course it bolts when I open it.
>>
>>2546092
Mine's got a small opening as well but the bugger managed to pick a place where there are crevises and holes in the bark. It's essentially done a small multi-roomed house for itself.
>>
>>2546013
These are amazing looking while small, but are great when they reach adulthood as well. They turn into a red-blue mixture that I think ends up with them being completely red. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
File: picture-1600.jpg (535 KB, 1600x2134)
535 KB
535 KB JPG
>>2546123
No, not completely red. The opisthosoma turns red, the prosoma turns a more greenish blue metallic color and the legs actually stay blue but get red hairs which leads to a purple look overall.
>>
>>2546129
Still absolutely stunning looking spider.
>>
Entomology major AMA
>>
File: IMG_4444.jpg (808 KB, 1024x961)
808 KB
808 KB JPG
>>2546288
is there such thing as a graduate degree for it, or is it post graduate only. if the latter, what should i major in if I wanna be the bug man
>>
File: colored laugh anon.jpg (18 KB, 210x230)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>2532391
>tarantula gets lonely

Put two in a cage see what happens. Fuckin' hilarious.

For reals though some animals just can't be bought singularly, like sugar gliders.
>>
>>2546310

Avicularia avicularia and Poecilotheria regalis are the only two species that have been successfully kept together in enclosures before.
>>
>>2541237
songbug
also the true patricians keyboard
>>
File: 20171208_015049.jpg (3.92 MB, 5312x2988)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB JPG
how do you guys think my enclosure looks? adult grammostola pulchra btw
>>
Do I really have to be a cringe master to have a pet pug?
>>
>>2546338
Too big and those lights are a bad idea youll cook your buggo. And where did you find a g pulchra ive been looking all fucking year
>>
>>2545273
Patrician taste my man, was thinking of keeping some. Do you have any general knowledge on them insect control is interfering with my search. They are very beautiful and individual insects.
>>
Does anyone know how to make this 'mollusc mix' that's supposed to replicate tree algae I'm having a superbad time trying to feed
>>
>>2546338
I would deepen that substrate and cut the bottom off that pot so he/she can burrow.
>>
>>2546338
That’s a lot going on. Tarantulas mostly sit in one spot.

Would make a great enclosure for some reptile.
>>
>>2546328
This is incorrecect. Many Poecilotheria species can be successfully kept communally.
M. balfouri have the most success in communial setups.
N. incei have also been kept communally with mixed results.

All of the above have more success than Avics.
>>
>>2546595
>Many Poecilotheria species can be successfully kept communally.
I have yet to see a long time success with any pokie setup. They don't go for each other because they don't fall into each others prey spectrum, as soon as one gets hungry enough, or the size differences become too big they inevitably eat each other. Furthermore it's probably just stressful to them.

The only species that really works communally seems to be M. balfouri. Those definitely recognize conspecifics and have been found in shared burrows in the wild too.
>>
File: edit_zpsstqwawid.jpg (48 KB, 333x480)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>2546600
Tom Patterson (not to name drop/dick ride) had had a lot of success with keeping multiple Poecilotheria species in communal setups, raising slings to adulthood that way. He's not the only breeder doing that.
>>
>>2546628
That's a lotta pokies
>>
>>2546628
>>2546600
Also I guess it depends what "long time success" means to you. Maybe they can't do the whole multigenerational thing like the balfouri, but certainly it meets the standards of "being kept in the same enclosure successfully"
>>
>>2546628
How do you feed a setup like that? Won't they go apeshit on the food or starve weaker ones?
>>
>>2546636
> How do you feed a setup like that?
A lot I'd imagine.
>>
>>2546628
I'm still kinda skeptical about this. What if he does have deaths in there but doesn't tell because he wants to keep up the image? If I tried this I'd really hate to admit something went wrong after like 10 months of everything being fine. I think everyone would.
>>
>>2546628
This is probably one of the most impressive pics I’ve seen since getting into the hobby. Not even very good quality, but just plain impressive.
>>
>>2546291
Undergraduate programs exist, but only at a handful of universities. If you want, you can simply major in pleb Biology and go to a nice graduate school for Entomology
>>
>>2546889
I'm makoring in animal sciences. Does that count?
>>
File: 15127990416411150265347.jpg (1.59 MB, 2576x1932)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
Spider bro here AMA
>>
>>2546896
who's your favorite boi/girl

On a more serious note, what would you advise as a first OW species.
>>
>>2546896
Should I do spiders?
>>
>>2546900
Favorite boi = Chilobrachys Discolus (Vietnam Blue)
Favorite grill = Aphonopelma Chalcodes (Arizona Blonde)
Old World = My first ow was a Phormictopus Cancerides, she's gorgeous and has gotten fairly large (unhandleable of course, as she's a little skittish)
>>
>>2546921
>>
>>2546903
Not if you want something active and that you can handle, but if you have no problem with evolved pet rocks with pretty colors, then go for it. I enjoy it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.