[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: spooky crows.jpg (23 KB, 340x270)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Here we post examples of times in movies, shows, games, etc. where the creators have portrayed an animal incorrectly. Either they get the sound it makes wrong, something is wrong with its behavior, it's in the wrong geographic location, whatever. I'll start.

The error: the classic example of any spooky environment in a movie/game where it's the dead of night and there are large flocks of highly active crows on the prowl, and they usually harass or antagonize the character.

The reality: crows are bros who sleep at night and just want to watch what you're doing because they're intelligent and curious.
>>
Hawk screams being used for eagle screams.

Any wild critter making those raccoon or squirrel chitter noises. They even give them to ferrets and opossums.
>>
>>2540281
>Loon calls
They're used in films about the Wild West, but loons are found in lakes in Canada and the Northern US
>>
Whenever vultures appear in media, they almost always resemble condors specifically even in locations where condors do not live.

They are also often considered evil and vectors of disease, when in reality they help eliminate the spread of disease and also almost never actually attack or harm living things. They also obviously do not prefer rotting food over something fresh.
>>
File: Awesome Opossums.gif (579 KB, 500x281)
579 KB
579 KB GIF
Opossums don't hang from trees with their tails.
They're also considered carriers of disease when in reality they eat ticks thereby reducing the threat of disease.
>>
>>2540281
"Sphere" movie. The sea snakes in the jars were actually lamprey.

Pretty much all video entertainment gets shit wrong 99.9999% of the time. It bugged the hell out of me for a long time. Now I just have utter disdain for video entertainment in general.
>>
Honestly it'd be a much shorter list of what movies DON'T generally get wrong.
>>
>>2540369
>Opossums don't hang from trees with their tails.

Th-they don't?
>>
File: beanerino.jpg (53 KB, 640x480)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Rats and mice always seem to squeak incessantly in films and television shows.
They're not exotic by any means. Shouldn't most people be aware of how inaccurate this is?
>>
>>2540421
That reminds me of how in cartoons elephants are always shown being scared to death of mice. Just WTF?
>>
Sharks can't survive inside of a tornado to later be launched like missiles to eat people.
>>
>>2540449
kek
>>
>>2540418
Anon, how would they be able to even do it? It's not like a monkey's tail, you know.
>>
Here are some

1/5
>>
>>2540449
bullshit
sharknado wouldn't like to me
>>
>>2540468
fuck forgot image

still 1/5
>>
>>2540471
2/5
>>
>>2540472
3/5
>>
File: cartoon and real mantis.png (30 KB, 1098x688)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>2540475
4/5
>>
>>2540476
5/5

my personal favorite because it looks hilarious
>>
>>2540471
>>2540472
>>2540475
>>2540476
>>2540477
Is this Bogleech?
>>
>>2540478
Is it? Probably
>>
T-rex actually had feathers
>>
>>2540281
there’s a scene in one of the two new Hills Have Eyes movies where they show an old world vulture in the american southwest. Pretty big flaw because old world vultures look very different from American ones
>>
>>2540498
I'm assuming they filmed in the southwest (because why would they fucking not). Wouldnt it just be easier to find a new world vulture? Niggers are everywhere.
>>
>>2540418
The babies can, but their tail can't support their weight once they get bigger
>>
>>2540483
WE
>>
>>2540499
Well they can't just take some random vulture, and honestly I don't see why we need to bring race into this.
>>
>>2540471
I've never seen anyone depict the siphon as its mouth.
>>
>stock film eagle cry actually belongs to a Red-Tailed Hawk.
Really irks me whenever I hear that stupid hawk call and a bald eagle is on screen.
>>
File: 1506812438319.jpg (44 KB, 624x351)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
One big one I've noticed is the idea that an animal baring its teeth or grinning means it's happy, when in like almost every species but humans that's a sign of distress.
>>
>>2540523
Super Mario
>>
>>2540483
>feathers

Proto-feathers are not feathers.
>>
>ubiquitous kookaburra sound in any jungle environment
> all primates scream like chimps
I assume any time a carnivore roars it's some stock sound from an single animal
>>
>>2540544
I talked to this woman once who did nature outreach type volunteer work. She got into an argument once with a little kid who SWORE that was the real sound of an eagle. She kept telling him no but he wouldn't believe it and was adamant they sound like RTHs.

Anyway I read there's some law or regulation or some such thing that in the US you cannot "hire" native birds because they are not allowed to be captured and put to work. I don't know what it's called, there was an article some time back on the Audubon site talking about it. I guess it's to prevent people from going out and stealing wild birds and selling them to film studios or something. So they have to use foreign birds as stand-ins even though it's wrong.
>>
>>2540483
I like that it was basically a cape which adds to the king of the dinosaurs meme.
>>
File: bear.jpg (299 KB, 1024x1024)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
These things running away like a bitch when a human tries to look like a big guy. Do you think 700+ pounds of anger, hunger and fluff would care? No, it would think you're gonna fuck with it and maul you.
>>
>>2540797
Nobody says that works on Grizzly Bears. It's Black Bears you can yell at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQzDnkbIB74
>>
>>2540802
I've seen it from time to time with grizzlies, people just tend to think that if it works on the one bear then it could work on the other.
>>
File: kookaburra_02.jpg (74 KB, 1000x667)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
Several jungles portrayed in media uses the kookaburra call as a stock background noise for some reason. Even though the Kookaburra is purely native to Australia.
>>
>>2540512
>They can't just take some random vultures
Why not?
>>
File: flapjack.jpg (14 KB, 480x360)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>2540471
>>2540472
>>2540475
>>2540476
Cartoons shouldn't count for the most part. It's not so much inaccuracy as much as it is a stylistic and animating choice. Might as well claim most cartoons are 'inaccurate' because it's more common to animate four fingers on human characters instead of five.

>>2540477
This could count.
>>
>>2540924
Related. I always liked the style choice for the hyenas in The Lion King(despite concept art and storyboard art had more 'realistic' proportions) but besides the myth about spotted hyenas being mangy scavengers, they gave them dog barks, growls, yelps and whines.
>>
>>2540797
Gonna need some LiveLeak links of some 50kg soyboy shouting in the face of one of natures' most powerful killing machines
>>
Any film that has tarantulas in it
>>
>>2540475
This one doesn't just go for cartoons. I have yet to see any live action movie depict leeches realistically.
>>
>>2540428
i think thats from actual accounts... of elephants that no doubt had PTSD from being forcibly removed from the wild, probably seen their family slaughtered at a young age and likely "trained" violently.
>>
>>2540421
That's because people in the past could actualy hear the ultrasound squeaks of mice and rats but human hearing has degraded over the years.
>>
>>2540286
>ferrets making chitter noises
This. Ferrets making noise period is false.
>>
>>2541395
Ferrets make clucking noises all the damn time when they’re active and playing.
>>
>>2541395
Dude what are you on. Ferrets "dook" when excited/playing (kinda sounds like a chicken clucking) all the time. They also hiss, they squeak, and chitter. If you're unlucky enough you might even hear one scream.
>>
Wolves being these all-hateful, ferocious beasts with glowing red eyes when in reality if you just fuckin look at one they run away into their hovel and they would rather scavenge than go after humans.
>>
File: Angery Doggo.jpg (34 KB, 493x585)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>predatory animal in media
>actively goes after human(s)
>it makes loud noises when attacking
why

another one that bothers me:
>shark/spider
>it makes noise
>>
>>2541484
this.
And that cliche when two predatory species meet randomly in a forest, it always results in a fight to the death after roaring at eachother.
>>
File: dogknife.jpg (29 KB, 500x299)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Dogs are depicted as constantly growling or crying to communicate
>>
when American Pit Bull Terriers like in this picture >>2541507 aren't attacking small children and baby cats
>>
>>2541484
Predatora always get the shit end of the stick.
Leafie: A Hen into the Wild did it right with the predator and it gave you a swift kick in the guts about it.
>>
>>2540741
Could be the Migratory Bird Act
>>
>>2540741
Interesting! It makes sense though. But we have recorded the calls of these birds. They could just sell the audio.
>>
>>2541578
Damn that movie was unexpectedly profound. Not revolutionary or anything, but it was more than I expected.
>>
>>2541626
>>2541629
Found it

http://www.audubon.org/news/birdist-rule-50-learn-live-bird-errors-tv-and-movies

>The Migratory Bird Treaty Act prohibits the possession of American species for commercial use, such as acting. The reason behind the rule harkens back to the earliest days of avian conservation, when American egret populations were decimated by hunters looking for plumes to adorn fancy hats. Now, most all birds used on-screen are not native to this country and come from licensed companies who look out for their clients. (It’s perfectly legal to film a wild bird and put it in your movie, but as any birder will tell you, good luck getting them to sit still long enough to get the camera rolling!)

>Background Noise. The Migratory Bird Treaty Act doesn’t prevent producers from using appropriate bird noises, of course. Yet bird calls in movies are almost always wrong.
>>
>>2540523
there's this kind of popular design in Japan, seen it a lot in Japanese videogames (pokemon, rhythm heaven, Mario etc) as well as stuff like food packaging and so on. Though the award for shittiest octopus design choices definitely go to.. (1/2)
>>
File: Dave-0.png (720 KB, 1280x720)
720 KB
720 KB PNG
>>2542194
(2/2)...this guy. Fucking teeth, hair and the overall JUST look
yes I do realize its from animated flick where all animals look exaggerated and shit but he had octopus minions in the very same movie that actually looked like octopuses
>>
File: Glukkon.jpg (169 KB, 880x1152)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>2542194
I'm generally not into weebshit so that's probably why I've never seen it.
>>2542197
That is pretty fucking abysmal. Reminds me of the Glukkons from Oddworld.
>>
File: Dr. Octavius Brine.jpg (99 KB, 1095x617)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>2542197
>Dave is animated like an octopus, but his design is everything an octopus isn't and shouldn't
>his minions look like regular octopuses
why

I guess it's because Dave had a human disguise in the movie, but still
>>
Literally 99% of all media coverage of animal protection, endangered species, etc.
>>
>>2542194
When I was a kid I thought the octopus's mantle was a big bulbous nose.
>>
>>2542454
What do you mean?
>>
File: laboon_.jpg (32 KB, 590x398)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>2540472
Got reminded of this
>>
>>2540281
>be 8 year old me
>watch midnight society episode Night of the chameleon
>its a fucking iguana
>turn to my iguana
That's not correct rrrreeeeee
>>
>>2540510
WUZ
>>
>>2543484
DINOSAURS
>>
>>2540281
In resident evil it's justified because of their virus infection
>>
>>2540421
I wouldn't think so, but when I got an infected rat bite treated I had to explain that domestic rats are kept as pets to probably around 6 or 7 shocked doctors. People just don't know, I guess
>>
File: 1464955364680.jpg (57 KB, 500x613)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>2540449

Are you sure, Anon?
>>
>>2542456
Same
>>
>>2542750
Why would that remind you of an ice berg?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.