[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

The journey continues

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.
Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.
Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:

-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them
Links:
Tank Cycling:
https://www.petcha.com/freshwater-aquarium-cycling/
https://www.petcha.com/fishless-aquarium-cycling-method/
Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/

Actual Discord:
https://discord.gg/Sr2nVEc
>>
Hail puffer
>>
File: image.jpg (1.09 MB, 3264x2448)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
Plants arrived today! Time for some aquascaping in my new tank :)
>>
Question for /ag/

My 2 gallon tank that houses my betta fish is heavily planted to the point where 15-20% of the water is gone within a week. Should I do a weekly water change or is just filling up the tank to the top with new water okay?
>>
bump
>>
>>2541556
Get a bigger tank
>>
File: image.jpg (1.29 MB, 3264x2448)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>2541627
He’s about to go into this one... gonna our shrimp in the 2 gal

Placing a heart rock at the bottom because my girlfriend and I are aquascaping this tank together :’)
>>
File: 1407799220397.gif (1.37 MB, 359x202)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB GIF
>>2541633
>>
File: IMG_3418.jpg (314 KB, 1391x730)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
Can't wait to get my cichlids next week
>>
>>2541556
>My 2 gallon tank that houses my betta fish is heavily planted to the point where 15-20% of the water is gone within a week.
This makes no sense.

The plants don't make the water disappear.

Your problem is evaporation. Get a lid.

Also, water change. Just topping off is not a great idea in many situations due to dissolved organics and minerals staying in the water column after evaporation.
>>
Don't let them keep us down
>>
>>2542058
>The plants don't make the water disappear.
Not him, and you're right, but plants do use 12 H2O molecules and give back 6 H2O molecules when they photosynthesize. They can technically expense water but they wouldn't use 15-20% a week.
>>
>>2542058
that makes sense, I have one for it I just have misplaced it
>>
My first planted tank project

Went for the iwagumi style
>>
I filled my new 36 gallon last night and so far so good. I guess I really did just get a lemon the first time. This tank seems solid. I'm excited to start my new heavy plant tank and the shrimp utopia that will hopefully start in a month or two.
>>
36 gallon bowfront
Peat moss substrate
Quartz rock
Dwarf baby tears
Staurogyne Repens
>>
Still a bit murky so I’m going to run the filter for a whole day before adding my betta to help cycle the tank
>>
>>2542220
Nice tank!
>>
>>2542231
Wish I could fast forward the damn thing a month or two
>>
>>2542232
Same. I just set up the same model tank (Aqueon right?). I bought some bio-spira to help move the nitrogen cycle along but I'm still going to wait at least a month just to be safe.
>>
Thoughts on the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 SE 48 inches?
>>
>>2542232
for me it helps to think of the aquarium as a process that can be enjoyed instead of a product to be displayed.

what helps with this is understanding that absolutely nobody is impressed by your aquarium, so you do it just for your own pleasure. Then it gets easier to enjoy the ugly stages as much or more than the mature ones. Starting a video game you've played before is more satisfying than winning it for the 500th time. Same with starting a new tank. The beginning is full of possibilities.
>>
>>2542236
Yeah same model, mine didn’t come with ther thermometer though which sucks, but whatever

I have all the cycle jumpstart stuff and water conditioner and CO2 boost and all that junk but it still going to wait
>>
>>2542244
Mine only came with the tank, the hood/light, and the stand. I really like Marina brand's submersible thermometers. Cheap and effective.
>>
>>2542218
Is this the tank with the scratch? Are you just going to live with it?

>>2542219
I like the choice in rock. Not many people go with such a quartz-heavy style.

>>2542242
>for me it helps to think of the aquarium as a process that can be enjoyed instead of a product to be displayed.
Yeah this is a great philosophy. I find that when a tank is "complete," I have far less interest in it.

Think of it this way: once your carpet is grown in and you've stocked it... now what? Stare at it?

It could be why I keep changing up my tanks (or adding more).
>>
What is a good entry level CO2 system? I don't care if it is paintball tank or not.
>>
>>2542248
Yeah, I'll buff it out with glass scratch cleaner if it bothers me. I barely even notice it when it's full and as far as I can see it hasn't affected the strength of the glass.
>>
>>2542248
Was the nicest rock I could find on my grandparents farm

They’re about to bulldoze the whole place to build new houses anyway
>>
>>2542261
I just use yeast/sugar, a check valve, airline tubing and an airstone.
>>
any one hear have a fish room

i have added another rack since this picture was taken

on the rack is top to bottom left to right is emerald dwarf rasboras
Vietnamese white clouds
misc rainbow fry and some zebra danios
panda guppies
coral red pencil fish
ornate climbing perch
red fin zebra danios
galaxy danios
axolotls
axolotls
axolotls
honeycomb tatias

the green big tank is Lake Tebera rainbowfish
and the other one is a tanganekian tank with cyprichromis utinta some Julies and a trophius
>>
>>2541529
I tried to keep a puffer fish happy and added salt to the mostly freshwater aquarium and then it eventually died in there, i was so upset that they were marketing the puffer as though it was intended to live in freshwater that i punched a hole in the wall because the fish was so intelligent looking and behaving with such an inquisitive nature to him/her. after that i just stuck to run of the mill riverbettys and north-antarctic river oscars. might start an aquarium but i dont have room right now.
>>
>>2542302
As cool as a fish room sounds, I don't think I'd have the time to mantain them all, let alone the extra room.
>>
Is there any reason why I would be getting a bacterial bloom a month after a tank cycled? It's gotten a liiiiittle cloudy and Purigen/Carbon haven't been able to get the water crystal clear.

pH: 7.5
Ammonia/Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 30ppm
>>
>>2542311
it's possible the tank didn't cycle or the cycle was interrupted.

it's also possible you just have some very high nutrient levels in your water either because you're dosing ferts or have something rotting in the tank or your source water is high in nutrients.
>>
>>2542314
I am dosing ferts so that might be it. There's usually nothing rotting cause my shrimp obliterate any dead leaves and leftover food.
>>
>>2542318
yeah, that's it then. If they cycle broke your skrimps would be dead.

just need to keep your ferts in the soil rather than the water column, or run a UV sterilizer to kill off free-floating microorganisms.
>>
>>2542311
i had super clear water then it became milk like yours over night i thought it sucked then i saw the fry at the surface

so your water may be fine

try lowering the ph that should help
>>
>>2542304
What kind of puffer? There are several true freshwater pufferfish.
>>
Is the discord faster than this thread?
>>
>>2542304
Is this post bait?
>>
>>2542410
the discord is getting better now that more /aq/ people are using the aquatic channel
>>
>>2542410
There's more actual discussion in the channel. Stay out of #general and #shitpost though.
>>
File: Screenshot_356.png (57 KB, 412x193)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
Anyone ever ordered from this guy?
>>
So yesterday my comet goldfish got a tiny rock stuck in this mouth. I only noticed once he was floating face down barely moving... I quickly took him out with the net, and placed him over a cloth and tried to extract it with tweezers but the rock slipped and got pushed in further. Left with no choice I rammed(gently) a piece tie from a loaf of bread folded over a few times and forced the rock out of his throat through his gills and it saved him/worked out well enough.
I made one mistake though!! When I took him out I accidentally placed the hard square part of the net over his body, when I first went to inspect him I rested my arm on the handle of the fishnet, inadvertently smashing my fish directly over one of his little fins.
Feels absolutely terrible. He is up and moving again well enough, but I'm now noticing he is really babying his fin and barely moving it. It does still move through and when he wants to GO he seems fine, but he's really coddling his fin and rarely moving it to stabilize himself. So long story short think this will heal eventually or is he fucked up forever now? I don't know much about fish or how they heal. Think he'll be ok?

(reposted this here in case nobody is left in the old thread, sorry guys!)
>>
>>2542302
starting up mine now

2 10 gallons
1 5.5 gallon
1 2 gallon
1 36 gallon
>>
>>2542293
How’s the bottled CO2 booster from API or Aqeuon?
>>
>>2542697
Liquid CO2 has nothing to do with CO2 gas

It's only used to kill algae, not plant growth.
>>
>>2542653
either he will heal fine or he is slowly dying and his swimbladder got injured. Just wait it out
>>
>>2542697
The plants tend to grow better with liquid carbon supplements than if you're not using it, but actual CO2 is much more effective.
Any sort of DIY setup with yeast, baking soda, citric acid, or whatever else they've come up with is going to be incredibly difficult to regulate, and if you have a lot of inconsistency in your CO2 levels, you're going to have worse algae growth than having no CO2 at all.

Fluval and some others make some small CO2 kits that use non-refillable canisters. Those are very easy to use, but replacing the canisters gets stupidly expensive. If you get the Fluval 20g kit, you can get CO2 canisters made for brewing or bicycles that fit the Fluval system, and they're a lot cheaper than the Fluval ones. I think someone makes adapters that allow you to convert the Fluval 80g system to use a paintball canister, if you wanted to get that kit and have a backup plan for if you get sick of buying refills.

>>2542709
The API brand carbon supplement is called "CO2 Booster."
None of those are actually CO2 in any form. They're usually glutaraldehyde, which breaks down into bioavailable carbon that plants can use, albeit with more difficulty than actual CO2. Glutaraldehyde also works as an algaecide.
>>
>>2542302

I had about 13 saltwater tanks going when I was way younger. All Scorpionfish and other oddball predators. Got rid of them because I wanted to get laid. Have one reef now and it’s all I need

> reefag here
>>
>>2542831
>gave up his hobby for pussy

Just about the gayest thing out there
>>
>>2542862

There’s a fine line behind have a hobby and living in your moms house slowly turning it in a public aquarium.

> pic related: 700g tank I maintain ed
>>
Please help. I'm trying to cycle my tank, but the PH keeps dipping very low. I do a 50% water change every day to get the PH to ~7.0 but it goes does to 6.0 by the end of the day every day. I'm worried it's killing my bacteria

=(
>>
>>2542872
>700g tank
lol
>>2542909
your pH is fine, stop changing water. Your bacteria can survive much lower pH than 6
>>
>>2542914
really? most resources ive read claim that bacteria can die at low ph and that a water change wont effect bacteria because most are stored in the filter?

serious questions. i'm starting from zero knowledge.
>>
>>2542918
sure bacteria can die at low pH
6 isn't low pH. neither is 5. Hell, they'll probably be ok at 4.5.

How do you think people with low pH tanks do it? They don't do anything special because the bacteria don't care about pH unless you've got battery acid or something.

changing water doesn't have any effect on bacteria except it gets rid of the ammonia they're supposed to be eating when you cycle the tank, so they starve to death.
>>
>>2542862
That is one of the most beta things you can do.
>>
When are the next best fish sales at the US pet chain stores?

Already missed Black Friday, any others soon?
>>
>>2542914

>lol
Lol?
>>
>>2542967
that's not a 700g tank
It doesn't even look like a 100g.
>>
>>2542969

10’ long x 48” wide and 30” high. Lit with 2 ecoxotic 150w pendants. Wet dry with 3k watts of heater. 8 pounds of purigen and 80 watts prevented the tank from turning brown from the tanins
>>
>>2542975
>10’ long x 48” wide and 30” high.
pft
sure it is.
>>
>>2542969
>>2542975

Here’s a width shot. 700 gallons. Water changes and evap comp done with trash cans on wheels. It was my baby. That and the 6,000 gallons of saltwater
>>
>>2542979

Go back to your beta bowls and taking care of guppies and autistically checking you pH 10 times day. I’ll be over here keeping real fish
>>
>>2542984
hardly give a fuck about pH tbqh
>>
>>2542872
>>2542980
The ratio of the measurements you gave compared to your pictures are incorrect.
>>
>>2542950
I don't think there's really a common one out there aside from BF.

There will probably be some in the Spring, when it gets easier/safer to ship livestock.
>>
>>2542999

The dims I gave you come out to 750g to the brim however, the overflow box and the fact the tank doesn’t run completely full keeps it at about 700ish gallons. Not including the 200g in the sump lol.
>>
>>2543005
No, I mean the ratio of the dimensions you gave compared to the actual dimensions in that picture are two different ratios.
>>
>>2543018

Because I just realized I gave the wrong dimensions. 96x48x36
>>
File: IMG_6385.jpg (242 KB, 1599x1199)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
So I recently bought some land that butts up against a pond owned by the government, it's called a "preserve." Pic is not it but looks very similar. It is next to a river that floods often and the result is that it's slightly swampy.

Anyway my idea was to make it a very rudimentary fish farm to raise tilapia or some other edible fish out there. my concern is that they won't be edible because the water is a bit murky and i'm not sure if sewage gets in there when it floods. I've seen turtles in there, i'm not sure if there's alligators. I can't build a filtration system or anything obvious because it's not my property and sometimes people jog back there. I think I have to just throw them back there, feed them every now and then and hope they survive. Then fish and catch them to eat them.

It doesnt have to be a fish farm, I could also raise some other aquatic freshwater animal. I was just hoping yall would have some ideas that I could use to take advantage of a pond for either food or fun. That's my goal, to get food or fun out of this free pond. Thanks
>>
>>2543022
Is that even your tank?
It looks like it is in the middle of a store.
>>
>>2543029
not him but>>2542872
>slowly turning it into a public aquarium
>>
>>2543029

It was. Worked in fish stores for 10 years. Hence the tank hoarding
>>
>>2542999
>>2543018
The dimensions he gave put the tank at about 3/4 as tall as it is wide, not including anything covered up by the stand or tank rim. That lines up with the picture just fine. Your crippling inferiority complex is fucking with your perception.
>>
>>2543027
Why the fuck would you introduce species to a pond that is prone to flooding?
>>
>>2543044
>The dimensions he gave put the tank at about 3/4 as tall as it is wide,
it also makes the minnows a foot long and the glass 3 inches thick.

that might be a 120g tank maybe.
>>
>>2543066

You’ve never seen a 120g tank. GB2 to Petsmart
>>
>>2542909
Just dump your fish in, holy shit don't need to make it so complicated
>>
>>2543070
nah, measure it.

standard glass thickness for a 38" tall tank is 3/4"

that's 1/2" glass on a 24" tall tank, but just for fun pretend the anon isn't lying out his ass.

measure the thickness of the glass against the height of the tank on your screen. For me that results in 7mm thick glass on a 175mm tall tank. doubling the figure gets us a 14" tall tank with 1/2" glass or a 21" tall tank with 3/4" glass.

if we're generous that tank might be 24" tall at best.

if we take anon's word for it that it's 38" tall that makes the glass 1.5" thick, an absurd number.

it also makes the fish about 4 times too large.
>>
>>2543056
because live fish are cheap and it only floods about twice a year
>>
I'm heading home for the holidays for 2 weeks, so I have an Eheim autofeeder filled with pellets

But how can I make sure my Corys get enough food? AFAIK there's no auto feeder for wafers.
>>
>>2543084
Break the wafers into smaller parts.
>>
>>2542984
I'm not trying to insult you buddy.
If I actually thought that was YOUR tank I'd ask for a timestamp.

I'm just telling you that's not a 700g tank. And if you keep going online pretending it is you're going to be laughed out of the room every time.

maybe pretend it's a 300g. You might get away with that as long as you don't run into anyone that's ever seen one irl.
>>
>>2543081

Not glass buddy
>>
File: 1512347241158~01.jpg (466 KB, 2048x768)
466 KB
466 KB JPG
>>2543066
>>2543081
What method are you using to fabricate these measurements?
The Roseline barbs are about 1/24 the length of the tank in the wide shot and 1/12 the width of the tank in the second picture.
Here's the wide shot cropped to a 10:3 aspect ratio.
>>
File: 1512354126700~01.jpg (553 KB, 1536x1152)
553 KB
553 KB JPG
>>2543066
>>2543081
And here's the second pic cropped to 4:3.
>>
>>2543083
>missing the point
>>
Can you guys go take your autism medication and quit shitting up /aq/ please? Thanks.
>>
>>2543127
I was going off the thickness of the tank from the second picture measured against its height.

however I was assuming it was glass.

if it's acrylic then the numbers add up, it's just 1.5" plastic is all. In which case I was wrong and I apologize for doubting you.
>>
>>2543131
Does your crippling inferiority complex always cause you to make these kinds of assumptions? You could avoid making a fool of yourself if you didn't do that.
>>
>>2543134
assumptions like that's a glass tank?
that's a fairly normal thing to assume I think.

>You could avoid making a fool of yourself if you didn't do that.
my name is the same as yours, for all anyone knows YOU made a fool of yourself.
>>
>>2543138
>a 700 gallon tank? must be glass!
uh huh

>my name is the same as yours
If you're always doing it it means it's happening in real life situations, too, assuming you ever leave your house.
>>
File: 1501279848652.png (127 KB, 601x508)
127 KB
127 KB PNG
>>2543138
>>2543143
>t. pic related, both of you
>>
>>2543143
all the visual cues indicate it's glass, and about 120g.

if it's a 700g then that "gravel" is over an inch in diameter. The wording on the tank it almost 2 inches tall. The top rim is 1 foot tall. The angelfish is over a foot tall. The barbs are over a foot long.

if I made a mistake it's an easy one to make.
>>
Can we please refrain from the autistic shitposting

Thanks
>>
>>2543151
no, apparently you can't.
>>
>>2543146
>if it's a 700g then that "gravel" is over an inch in diameter. The wording on the tank it almost 2 inches tall. The top rim is 1 foot tall. The angelfish is over a foot tall. The barbs are over a foot long.
Alternatively: literally none of those things. See >>2543044
>Your crippling inferiority complex is fucking with your perception.

>>2543144
>>2543151
Post something more interesting to talk about.
>>
How long does it take plants to root into the substrate?
>>
>>2543155
You're not talking or discussing anything, you're both just shitposting back and forth. Fuck off.
>>
>>2543156
It depends per plant, most aquatic plants root quickly in gravel. Most don't root far into fine substrates like sand that can suffocate them. Depends on their growing requirements too. Rooting tablets can help.
>>
>>2543160
TRying to carpet dwarf baby tears, I’m afraid to add even the single fish to help cycle the tank because the substrate is fine and a fish might knock plants free
>>
>>2543157
>you're both just shitposting back and forth.
Yeah, well, if you posted something more interesting to talk about I'd have something else to do.

>You're not talking
Yeah huh.

>>2543163
You can look up timelapse videos of HC carpets and use the point when they start spreading as an indication that they've rooted, but it's also going to depend on the type of substrate you're using and your fertilizers, lighting, and parameters.

You don't need to add a fish to help the cycle anyway. Pure ammonia or small amounts of fish food work fine. Also frozen seafood, but it stinks after a while.
>>
>>2543155
>Alternatively: literally none of those things.
factually all of those things.

the thickness of the glass or plastic can be measured against all of those things, and if it's twice as thick that makes all of those things twice as large.

an angelfish that was large at 6 inches is now a monster over a foot in diameter.

Denison barbs that were monsters at 6 inches are now a foot long. Which is a world record afaik. Hell, even 6 inches would be a record I think.
>>
>>2543169
Again, what method or software are you using to fabricate these figures?
>>
File: succc.jpg (146 KB, 800x501)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>
File: succ.jpg (154 KB, 877x658)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>2543186
oops wrong succ
>>
>>2543178
metric ruler against the full size pic on my screen.

also I've seen a lot of 700g tanks and I know how fish look in them.
>>
>>2543195
I scaled the picture up in Photoshop to match his supposed measurements. If the tank was 96 inches long, it would put that shipping box at 17 inches wide! That box looks like a 4x4 to me.
>>
Dual stage or single stage regulator for CO2? I'm leaning towards dual stage because of the steady working pressure.
>>
>>2543188
WHAT IS THIS
>>
>>2543490
smol
>>
tfw stuck with a 13 gallon tank.
so far they live because of the ok filter
>>
>>2543516
>phone poster
>tripfag
>>>/discord/
>>
Opinions on otocinclus? Are they easy to feed if I run out of algae? Do they accept most vegetables?
>>
>>2543530
Are you adding them to a tank with fish in it already or just thinking about a new tank? I hear they like to eat slime coats.
>>
>>2543532
The former, but yeah I heard about the slime coat thing which is why I wanted opinions about feeding.
>>
I want to put a tiny tank on my nightstand so I have something pretty to look at at night before bed.

I don't really want a five gallon,I was thinking more of those 2.5 gallon hex tanks.

How could I do it up to look nice? I don't really want a betta because he would probably be cramped, but maybe something like the chili rasbora? Or anything interestimg looking besides the regular cherry shrimp?
>>
>>2543532
>I hear they like to eat slime coats.
I've never seen this brought up on other forums nearly as much as it is on /aq/, and even here I've never seen someone post who's actually experienced it. Seems like an incredibly rare occurrence that this board likes to blow out of proportion.

>>2543530
>>2543535
Most otos will happily eat blanched zucchini. Nori and blanched garden greens are also good.
>>
>>2543568
What makes you think a school of rasboras is going to be less cramped in a tiny tank than a betta? Also hex tanks have garbage footprints and are inherently more cramped than rectangular ones anyway.
The betta is going to be able to handle a small tank like that much more easily than the rasboras, but you should really get *at least* a tank five gallons and 12 inches long if you want fish in there.
Thai micro crabs would work in a small tank, but they're pretty sedate, so not terribly interesting.
>>
>>2543579
Oh..ok

I just saw a some youtubers putting small schools of them in three gallon tanks, soI thought maybe.

So it sounds like shrimp would probably be a better bet then? I don't think I can get something like the crabs around here.
>>
>>2543461
I got a dual stage, it's worth the peace of mind
>>
>>2542578
bumping my question
>>
>Reach into tank to vent CO2 chamber
>Cichlid squad goes into full attack mode and tries killing my hand

Mates, you're like an inch long, pick better fights.
>>
>>2543168
More autistic greentexting and shitposting.
I hope your tanks all fail so you will just fuck off instead of shitting up /aq/.
>>
>>2543617
you're the only one shitposting bucko
>>
>>2543131
>>2543146
>>2543169

700 gallon guy here. You can believe it or not but the tank is 700g. I don’t miss taking care of it. The clown loaches decimated the plants and it’s all plastic now.

The tank realistically took almost no work to maintain but fuck the acrylic was a nightmare to keep clean. Magnets would scratch the hell out of it so it was a magic eraser on a stick mostly

On another note, a protozoan infection wiped all but one fish this weekend. I have a nazi like QT protocol and haven’t added anything in months, my reef is now a blank canvas for something new. Thinking seahorses. Bitches love seahorses.

> pic related
>>
>>2543617
don't listen to them, they're just anti-discord cucks.
>>
>>2543027
Get some snakeheads
>>
>>2543690
>shilling a competing community on 4chan
neck yourself
>>
File: 2017-12-04 15.07.20.jpg (817 KB, 2000x1500)
817 KB
817 KB JPG
I've had this supposed Amazon Sword for a couple years now, and it keeps dividing itself in half at the roots instead of sending out runners; is that normal? Or is this not an amazon sword?
This is the second time it has done this...
>>
>>2543676
sorry to hear it.
which one survived?
>>
>>2543711

My plesiops. The one I’ve had the longest and worth the most $$$
>>
>>2541529
My pleco is getting pretty big. Been feeding it algae wafers and he's been ballooning in size. I'd say he grew an inch in the past month. What size does he start becoming trouble to other tankmates? They're pretty docile, a few Glofish, two swordtails, a Cory Catfish, and a Black Marble Angelfish (who is the feistiest of all the fish, which should put things in perspective). They've all been in the same tank for about two years (one in the Cory's case), but its only recently that the pleco is getting big. I'm a bit worried for them. Should I try to return it to the pet store if it gets too big or aggressive, or sell it? I just don't want anybody to get hurt.
>>
File: IMG_20171204_183804.jpg (261 KB, 1280x720)
261 KB
261 KB JPG
>>2543728
Forgot to attach pic. The tank is about 30 gallons.
>>
>>2543676
Fuck off Marc, you ultra faggot
>>
>>2543719
ah well, that's good I guess. Too bad about the others though. I liked that angel and your toby was pretty cool too.

least the plesiops should do fine with horses.
>>
>>2543736

I love you too Ryan
>>
>>2543728
>>2543730
plecos are completely harmless to other fish
They can get quite big though. Only return him if you feel he is too big for your filtration to handle
>>
I have a mated pair of ocellaris clowns that I've had in a 75-gallon tank for about 6 years
Other than 2 peppermint shrimp and a cleaning crew of hermit crabs and snails, they are alone
They live in a conch shell and recently when I get near the conch for cleaning or feeding, the female will come up, nip me and draw blood. Why is she doing this all of a sudden? I don't see any signs of nesting and nothing seems to have changed.
>>
>>2543814
A better question is why didn't she do it before? That sounds like perfectly normal clownfish behavior to me.
>>
>>2543816
Maybe. She's always come up to my hand but never nipped it. Maybe she's just big enough to do it now
>>
>>2543818
could be. I've owned 4 ocellaris, a couple maroons, and one cinnamon in the last 20 years. All of them bit hands.
>>
>>2543768
Call me
>>
>>2543699
those seem dangerous. pretty sure i'd get death threats if snakeheads got loose during flooding and started nibbling on all my neighbors livestock.
>>
How can I keep my tank or filters still cycled if I have to dose antibiotics? Can I just put the sponge filters into a bucket with tank water and maybe some snails to keep the bacteria alive? What about for a canister filter?
>>
>>2543823

When are you gonna cuck my wife with your feminine Asian penis?
>>
>>2543840
Ri nao
>>
I read I shouldn't change my filter cartridges because I need the bacteria in them, that's bullshit right? Supposed to change them every 3-4 weeks or so I thought.
>>
File: hooked.jpg (21 KB, 234x205)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>2543581
Sorry if that came across as dickish.
The problem with YouTube videos is that you have no idea what kind of maintenance they're doing on the tank, all the details on the parameters and setup, or even if the fish just died a week after the video was taken.
Small inverts would be the best bet with very small tanks. You should be able to find shrimp in different colors if you don't like red. Also check online (Aquabid, eBay, etc.) and ask your local shops what they can special order.

>>2543728
>>2543730
If you want to keep the pleco, keep an eye on it and watch for aggressive behavior. It may or may not ever actually cause any problems with the other fish. If leaving the plecos in there is going to nag at you just exchange it. Especially with an angelfish, there's always a chance that you'll come home to it having already sucked half the slime coat off a fish, albeit a remote chance.
The other thing to keep in mind is that it will eventually become an absolute hurricane of shit at some point, and make it really difficult to maintain good water quality.

>>2543780
No.
Have you seen a big plecos up close before? They are basically made entirely of spines, and most male plecos have hooked retractable spines in their cheeks specifically for the purpose of tearing up other fish (like sparring with other male plecos). They can also get pretty territorial, depending on the species and the fish's individual personality.
>>
>>2543839
You don't. If you do anything to save the cycle bacteria from the tank you're treating you're also potentially saving whatever pathogens are causing the disease you're treating for.
>>
>>2543706
It's pretty common for plants to have more than one method of propagation. Your pic looks like some kind of sword, though maybe compacta, not the standard Amazon sword.

>>2543814
I didn't realize clowns were capable of biting hard enough to break skin...

>>2543845
There are a lot of bacteria in the filter media, but there's also enough in the gravel and other surface areas within the tank that it's not going to crash if you change the filter cartridge.
That said, the filter floss in the cartridge is reusable basically indefinitely as long as you rinse it regularly. The only thing that stops working after 3-4 weeks is the activated carbon inside of the cartridge, which isn't necessary in most cases to begin with.
>>
I recently bought a second mystery snail and my old snail keeps attaching itself to the new one to the point where he new one is banging the older one up against stuff to try and knock it off

Wtf is going on here?
>>
>>2543865
from what I've gathered from these past few threads it might be really slow rape
>>
File: 6y1buhkm45mz.jpg (1.09 MB, 2988x3735)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>red cherry shrimp are finally fucking and breeding
>babby explosion every week
yee haw motherfuckers
>>
>>2543863

Clown bites fucking hurt and bad... especially the larger members of the genus
>>
What are some good darker green plants for a medium-high light tank? All my plants are more of a yellowish green and I want some variety in my green hues.
>>
>>2543866
Both Males

Can snails change sex if needed?
>>
>>2542653
it sounds like he's fine, he just needs time and good water parameters to heal. You should move to a larger gravel if ingestion is an issue.
>>
File: IMG_20171203_144846~01.jpg (108 KB, 800x600)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>2543875
Very cool. What kind of setup do you have them in?
I'm getting ready to start a 45 gallon in my garage for shrimp breeding. I'm going with yellow neos and bee shrimp. Considering throwing one or two bamboo shrimp in there for kicks.
>>
>>2543883
>Both Males
I take it you've never been to prison.
>>
>>2543883
some snails can herm it up.
>>
>>2543890
>>2543889

The newer one has a bit of green algae all over its shell so I think the old one is feeding on it much to the discomfort of the new one
>>
>>2543882

Just about any anubias.
>>
sup /an/ doing some research but im getting mixed information so i'll just ask the dumbass question here

If I were to weigh down a critter keeper and keep a betta in it with no access to surface air, would it drown?
>>
>>2543902
this isn't the type of question any of us here are qualified to answer. You should go to your nearest petsmart and ask to speak to a manager about it.
>>
>>2543882

Sorry...me again >>2543900 . Totally missed the medium to high light part. I've never tried anubias in higher light but it's nice and dark-ish green.
>>
>>2543904
I dont think id trust a petsmart to know, thanks anyway
>>
>>2543902
>If I were to weigh down a critter keeper

*and put it into a larger tank,
>>
>>2543902
It depends on how much water is circulating through that critter keeper.

that's all.
0 circulation he dies. Lots of circulation he lives.
>>
>>2543906
I like the color of anubias. I've had it for other tanks, but yeah not for high light. I guess I can try it and see how it goes.
>>
>>2543902
tough to answer. bettas being a labyrinth fish tend to not have good enough gills to JUST get oxygen from the water. that being said, if you can keep the O2 levels really high, and make sure there is flow(but not too much because it can stress them) you will probably be fine. but this is just a educated guess.
>>
>>2543882
Crypts tend to do okay in medium-high light, and C. parva is a nice dark green.
Marino is also okay, but it's a pain in the ass long term.

>>2543902
Bettas are facultative air breathers, meaning that (after they have sufficiently matured) they do not strictly require access to the surface in order to breathe, assuming the water is adequately oxygenated.
Whether or not he dies due to the stress of being stuck in a weighed down critter keeper is an entirely different story.
>>
>>2543931
it's a 3 gallon container I planned to stick at the end of my 55 long. Im under the impression that 3 gallons is sufficient space even though bigger is always better. Why would the betta be stressed?

The pump in my aquarium is too strong for the betta to keep up with, the current it creates is too much stress but I figure within a tank of its own with walls on all sides and circulation coming from only the opposite end of the tank, I can get adequate oxygen into it without the battering current. Otherwise im not sure how to add MORE circulation without the betta dying from stress
>>
>>2543933
>Why would the betta be stressed?
it's a fish that normally lives its life at the surface. It breathes at the surface, eats at the surface, sleeps there and mates there.

it would be like if your parents couldn't go to the mall or your grandparents to the bowling alley. It might just kill them.
>>
File: critkeep.jpg (139 KB, 768x1024)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>2543933
A 2.5 gallon critter keeper will slot neatly into the rim of most 12 inch deep tanks. You could run an air stone to it or a small internal filter that way.
>>
File: image.jpg (2.64 MB, 4032x3024)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
Anons rate my brand new softie coral nano tank, currently only has 1 fire fish and one frag of GSP in it, what do you think I should add?
Any tips to make it look better
>>
File: image.jpg (3.1 MB, 4032x3024)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
>>2543942
Sorry for the bizarre picture, let me get one from a better angle
Also note this is somewhat of a challenge build from my friend to build the cheapest possible good lookin reef tank so sorry for the cheap lighting
>>
>>2543943
I love how huge the turbos look in that thing.
>>
>>2543888
love the wood

what is it/how did you make it?
>>
Fo bricks effect aquarium water? And if so, what could I use as an alternative?

Trying to build a bridge in a paludarium.
>>
>>2543943
>>2543942

Needs a background
>>
>>2544106
You think the Roman Colisseeum would be better with drapes!?
>>
>>2544119

No but an aquarium would look better when you can’t see all the wires hanging off the back
>>
>>2543942
>>2543943
Hipargero lights? Why don't you just shill 30 more bucks and buy a Current Usa light?
>>
File: IMG_20171203_152413~01.jpg (214 KB, 1043x581)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
>>2543954
Thanks. It's manzanita from bloomsandbranches.com. Really good prices and fast shipping.
At first I had them tied together with sewing thread, but I couldn't get it really tight, so I went with the Tom Barr special and used zip ties instead, rotated and meandered the whole colossus into the tank, then trimmed off branches as needed to shape it.
The pieces I cut off are going into a 12 gallon long for some clown killies.
>>
>>2544137
Tbh I’m growing softies and it was the cheapest light that would fulfill light requirements. Plus I like how they look, and they were on sale on amazon for like $30 on Black Friday. For a budget build, why not? Besides I have a reef tank downstairs I went all out on
>>
>>2544130
Just because you cover it up doesn't mean they aren't there
>>
>>2543891
That's a good possibility. Although as others are pointing out, male apple snails will try to mount other snails without regard for sex or species even. Their vision is terrible.
>>
>>2543992
Try stacking slate instead of using brick.
>>
>>2544140
I have an Orbit. It has presets and timers. I dont't have to even touch it, the light does all the work. Idk anon you do you.
>>
>>2544149
But you don’t see them
>>
>>2544139
Manzanita grows wild around here, but when I went out looking for some, I couldn't find any. You think it would be easy to spot.
>>
>>2544119
You think it would be better with visible wires hanging in it?
Stupid.
>>
>>2544169
I live in California, so it wouldn't be too hard for me to find some wild manzanita if I went looking for it.
However, it can take months or years for freshly harvested wood to dry out enough to be safe for aquarium use, and any bark left on it is liable to rot. It's far easier to buy it from a supplier that already has a sandblaster and has enough stock that they can easily cycle through already dry wood.
Not to mention that if you somehow get caught taking anything from the wild in California you're liable to get fined up the ass.
>>
>>2544172
Damn that kinda sucks.
I live in Oregon. Not sure what the rules are but I don't think anyone cares.
>>
File: IMG_20171205_073505~01.jpg (163 KB, 1024x768)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
Look at him go (nowhere)
>>
File: IMG_3444.jpg (2.77 MB, 4032x3024)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB JPG
What are these rocks and what effect would they have on my water? They came with my gravel stuff and i think theyd look nice.
>>
>>2544203
Where did you get your "gravel stuff" from?
Cook the rocks in near boiling water or soak them in a dilute bleach solution. If they're still green it could be an indication of copper or chromium content and I wouldn't use them.
The brown one (top left) looks like quartz, which is fine. It might give you some extra diatoms. Maybe. You can test it with muriatic acid if you want to be extra careful.
>>
File: IMG_3445.jpg (2.49 MB, 4032x3024)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
>>2544211
Dude who sold me the tank had 3 big boxes of it he said i could take. It's the same stuff they use in the aquarium I'm going to get my cichlids from.
>>
>>2544214
I mean if the guy you got it from was using it in the tank without issue it should be fine. Is it just algae on the rocks?

Green rocks make me uneasy in general, though. Lots of really nasty mineral salts are green.
>>
File: IMG_3447.jpg (2.21 MB, 4032x3024)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB JPG
>>2544233
Yeah i said fuck the rocks. I'll just get new ones from the rock store when I set up decorations.

Also my aquaclear filter does not have a levelling device in it. Anyone know if it's actually necessary? Can't find much about it anywhere.
>>
Big thought. Could it be possible to acclimate saltwater fish to brackish? If Brackish fish can tolerate high and low salinity can't swf be able to do so aswell?
>>
Because an emerald crab's reef-safety depends on the individual, i have a plan to keep them from devouring everything i hold dear. when i first get a crab or other "hit or miss" reef safe animal, ill put it in the sump along with a few black mollies as sacrificial lambs. if they dont eat the fish within a week,ill put em in the display
>>
>>2544310
Yes do it faggot
>>
>>2544317
rude posters get ignored
>>
Got a 35 Gallon Tank set up and ready to go lads.
I've done little community tanks for all of my life and I'm considering getting a single showpiece fish for it, like a medium sized cichlid or some other oddball. Don't know what to go for considering I want something that is fairly interactive and is aware of the world outside the tank.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>2544342
A small puffer
>>
I wanna keep a pike or two. They grow large, look neat, and generally seem pretty interesting.

Assuming I can get either a rather large tank or even a artificial pond, what do I need to know about keeping them? I'm talking about the northern pike
>>
>>2544172
I've actually found some fantastic pieces of manzanita around Sonora area, already dead and dried out. One time I found a really cool piece while on a hike, so I pulled it off and carried it all the way home. Got some comments from other people hiking, but no one said anything about not doing it. I guess it would've been different if I actually ran into a government official.
>>
File: imagen~01.png (338 KB, 1080x1369)
338 KB
338 KB PNG
>>2544281
It's mainly for looks, but if the filter isn't level it might overflow more easily if it gets clogged. Hagen is generally really good about replacing parts if you want to shoot them an email. Otherwise some stacked rubber furniture feet would do the same job.

>>2544310
No. Put simply, they just aren't built for it. The circulatory, respiratory, and renal systems of saltwater and freshwater fish all operate very differently to combat the salt content in the water, or lack thereof.
Euryhaline fish that tolerate a wide range of salinities are very specialized to be able to change environments like that.
www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/vertebratefishevolution.pdf
>>
>>2544342
You're saying you want only the one fish, or a showpiece along with a small community?
Pretty much any medium-sized cichlid fits your description. Keyhole, chromate, acara, etc. Leopard gourami (Ctenopoma) are also really neat. The most oddball fish I can think of is a South American leaf, fish but they're a paint in the ass and I don't know how interactive they are.

>>2544390
I came across a pretty good size grove driving down Hwy 1 once, but I wasn't really trying to scope out something for a fish tank. Maybe I'll have to keep an eye out in the future.
Or maybe I'll just get an oak tree. Is it dumb to want an oak bonsai almost specifically so I can have tiny oak leaves to put in my shrimp tank?
>>
>>2544310
yes, both SW and FW can usually survive brackish water.

this is because most reef fish are actually estuarine so they're used to a broad range of salinities.

They're usually kept in brackish water in dealer's tanks to kill ich, and some people keep them in brackish water all the time.
>>
>>2544315
"reef-safe" isn't usually about the fish.
>>
Cardinal tetras are beautiful, but man, they're boring as fuck. They just hover on one side of the tank. Kinda wish I got rummynoses instead.
>>
>>2544407

This is not true. Do not try this
>>
>>2544429
It only works if you put them in the brackish water right away. Also helps if the fish is expensive.
>>
>>2544403
Yeah I highly recommend. I've run into a couple bushes, but nothing like that one hike where there was tons of bushes with old dried out branches. There were so many large branches to chose from, it was way better than ordering online.

I can't imagine it's worth it to get a bonsai just for that, but tiny oak leaves would be pretty cute.
>>
>>2544394
thx anon
>>2544407
I can recall this actually>>2544429

A lfs kept triggerfish in low salinity fowlr tanks, borderline 1.000 (he stated). Yes it does help with ich. I thought it would be possible to keep them even lower by adapting them but it doesn't seem likely anymore.
>>
>>2544429
>>2544432
probably shouldn't try to answer saltwater questions if you've never kept saltwater.

>>2544511
They can survive 1.0 for a few hours. 1.009 is ok for a few months. 1.010 and higher is fine for life.

most freshwater fish can survive up to about 1.011, so there's an area of overlap where you can keep most saltwater fish and most freshwater in the same tank.
>>
>>2544525

Kept a lot of SW actually. More than you.
>>
>>2544525

Got sources? You must be Asian.
>>
>>2544543
and you've never heard of hypo?

maybe you should read more.
>>
>>2544544
no sources. anyone that's kept sw has heard of fw dips and hypo.

Like I said, your fish dealer keeps the sw fish in brackish water.
>>
>>2544545
>>2544546

No they don’t. Typical LA wholesellers and nearly all fish stores that’s know what they’re doing keeps their salinity at 1.018-1.020. Not brackish.

Dips are not meant for more than a few minutes and hypo is short term. Besides FW dips literally don’t do anything for protozoans. Formalyn, chelated copper, and chloroquine are the real cures.
>>
>>2544543
I doubt you've kept more saltwater than me, I've been keeping mixed reefs since 1993 and I've had a few monster tanks.

You've probably just kept reef tanks and nothing else is all. Hyposaline tanks are only good for keeping fish. The lower salinity kills corals, nems, live rock, your CUC, etc. So if you've never kept a FO tank you might not have heard of it. It's standard practice though. All those huge FO tanks at Rainforest Café and other businesses are usually hyposaline, at the top end of brackish.

Cryptocaryon dies below about 1.017 SG so it's not uncommon for people to keep display tanks at 1.010-1.016. So far nobody has recorded any effects on the fish even over periods of years, though that could be due to the fact that marine fish don't generally survive that long in captivity anyways. Hypo does cause the fish stress, but it's not usually the reason they die. In fact it lengthens their life by getting rid of parasites which are a major cause of death in FO tanks.
>>
>>2544557
>nearly all fish stores that’s know what they’re doing
no true scotsman

like I said, read more. Hypo can be used for years, and usually is in FO tanks.
>FW dips literally don’t do anything for protozoans
I didn't say they're effective, I said you've heard of them.

hypo for periods of months or years is effective.
>>
>>2544559

I was 8 years industry and keeping tanks since 04.Kept Way more than reef tanks.

C. Irritans is insanely rare in our industry. Marine Brook and velvet are the real killers. Very few people (that understand Berlin filtration and how keep to inverts alive) would ever maintain a tank consistently at 1.017. Enjoy your trickle filters and Jaubert plenums grandpa. Cyano bacteria is probably the only thing in your tank with color.
>>
>>2544563
>Cyano bacteria is probably the only thing in your tank with color.
correct. Hypo tanks don't grow anything but brackish algae and bacteria, which is crap.

no live rock, no inverts. You can't keep inverts in a hyposaline tank. At all.

brook and velvet die at about the same SG as ich.

The entire purpose of the thing is a fish only tank. Painted decorations and such. Because nothing will survive in there except brackish plants and animals or freshwater animals that can tolerate salt.
>>
>>2544563
>your tank
also I didn't say I have hyposaline tanks (though I have in the past).

all I said is saltwater fish can survive just fine in brackish water, and anyone that keeps saltwater should know this because it's common practice.
>>
>>2544568

I know what you’re saying. I’ve done massive FO tanks and kept them at 1.018-19 mostly to save money on salt. 18 is still SW. Brackish water is about 12-13. Throw an Amazonian neon tetra in 1.018 SG and see what happens or throw an Australian clownfish in 1.012 SG.

With the exception of monos, scats, and a few other oddballs. Keep saltwater fish in saltwater and freshwater fish in fresh.
>>
>>2544575
Just saying it's possible, not that it's ideal.

I kept a tank at .009 for six months once before bumping it up to .011 and then .014 for a couple years. It stresses the fish, but I've salted discus tanks up to .011 to kill fw ich before so I know for a fact there's a point at the high end of brackish where you could conceivably keep freshwater and saltwater fish in the same tank.

If I was going to worry about either group dying it would be the FW fish since they tolerate salt much less than saltwater fish tolerate brackish.

If you dive much in lagoons and estuaries you'll see reef fish swimming through salinity and temperature gradients all day. A lot of reef fish are really just shore fish.
>>
>>2544580

Yes a few fish do go in an out of estuaries but it’s brief and the exception to the rule
>>
File: PC050113 (462x800).jpg (189 KB, 462x800)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>2544583
let's not forget rain water that floats on the surface after a storm. If freshwater just killed ocean fish there'd be very few left.

And there are very few marine fish in the trade that just can't stand brackish water, they're usually sharks or eels.
>>2544563
>Enjoy your trickle filters and Jaubert plenums grandpa
Here ya go, my plenum. It's out in the garage with my fluorescent actinics from 15 years ago. Thought you might enjoy the accuracy of your jab.
I thought it was funny.
>>
Had an extra 10 gallon sitting around doing nothing so i took some bamboo from the backyard and replanted. Put in a very old plastic driftwood piece for now

Going to put two zebra long tail danios in to start, soon I’ll move my adult guppies in as well once the fry arrive
>>
>>2544615
you can do that? just put regular old bamboo in your tank?
>>
>>2544656
there is a small chance that it will sprout roots
>>
>>2541529
Anyone interested in a 2x2 frag of GSP? I had to cut the fuckers out of my tank and was wondering if anyone wants any for free
>>
>>2544661
yeah let me give you my address......
>>
>>2544615
>>2544656
Yeah but he should remove the submerged leaves as they will just rot.
>>
>>2544663
I’ve traded away GSP on 4chan, I just ship it to a nearby aquarium store and they’ll typically hold it, acclimate it, and give it to you plus a $5 charge for keeping it for like 8 hours or something like that
>>
>>2544668
How do you cut it out while it is in the water?
>>
>>2544669
You take it out of the tank ( I grow mine on sand/islands ) and I take scissors and cut that shit into squares. GSP is invincible and I doubt it hurts it
>>
>>2544675
I'd take you up on it but I don't have any fish stores within 100 miles and they'd freeze getting here and GSP frags are cheaper than shipping when I get to the fish store anyways.

other than that I'd probably take some if someone handed them to me or something.
>>
>>2544380
what i've read in forums they mostly hide and won't move much unless it's feeding time. they are ambush predators so you need to feed them live food and have enough room for them to dart around. i'd say any aquarium is going to be extremely small since they grow to be a metre long. you can't really keep other fish with it since in the wild they eat pray as large as themselves and don't have a problem eating each other too. not the best pet fish i'd say.
>>
>>2544753
https://youtu.be/0GVQgGp12ZA
>>
File: IMGP1747.jpg (2.83 MB, 3872x2592)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB JPG
>>
One of the shrimp farm guys got back to me.
Apparently I have to go to Taiwan for da pik ahp.
>>
>>2544380
>>2544753
>>2544767
you would need a big aquarium like a 55 or 100, and give him plenty of plant coverage. They love long grass and weeds. It will also get expensive feeding him, he will require a lot of food. If you live near a lake you could fish some food for him, or buy minnows in bulk
I would never keep a pike in a setup like the video, no space, no coverage, and other fish smaller than him. Just not responsible for the other fish and the pike's health
>>
>>2545147
>you would need a big aquarium like a 55 or 100,
You'd need something way bigger than that for a fish that gets 2-3 feet long.
>>
File: jesus_christ.jpg (217 KB, 1600x1200)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>>
>>2545207
>50 bucks for 7 liters of shit
lmao. it's crazy that there are enough retards buying this trash for them to keep churning out new ones.
>>
>>2545208
That's GBP so it'd be $67.
>>
>>2545207
is that a pleco in the bottom container?
I see these everywhere for bettas and it drives me a little mad every time
>>
>>2545207
>petwise
Is this Bongistanian Petsmart?
>>
>>2545215
I'm a bong and i've never heard of them, our petsmart is called "Pets at Home"
>>
>>2545207
I remember reading a review on amazon for the betta version. The flow was so strong that the bettas in the top two sections got washed down into the bottom one where all three bettas were trapped together pressed against the wall
>>
File: IMG_1528.jpg (1.05 MB, 1700x2267)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
I have a god awful amount of staghorn algae in my tank. I recently got a CO2 regulator which I'm hoping will help but is there anything else I can do to combat it? Will it just slowly decrease the longer I have sufficient CO2?

I have some excel I could add, but I have no idea if you're supposed to use it if there's already CO2. I've basically just been removing any leaves that have too much algae on them.

Pic related, two of my cutie otos who can't keep up with my algae problems
>>
>>2545207
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9n2Et6ZLSs
>>
I want to get some media cycled while I'm working on fixing up an empty tank.

Can I toss some ceramic media into a bottle with and airstone, and then put it into a vase? Like, does a fish-less cycle need a certain amount of water, or can a half gallon work?
>>
>>2545531
a half gallon could work but it's a lot more effort because the bacteria will consume all the ammonia you feed in far less time and then will starve to death.

luckily when they die they release ammonia so the whole cycle starts over again. But yeah, you probably want more water if you want a stable cycle that's not restarting once a day.
>>
>>2545535
Well what if I went the food route, and leftlike a piece of tilapia in the water to rot?

I mean, I guess I could just use that quickstart stuff, but I'm broke and wanted to use what I had lying around.
>>
>>2545553
Don’t waste the money on that shit anon the stuff is in the air for free, patience is the key when cycling not fancy gimmick products.
Fuck all these bleeding hearts raving on about in fish cycling, the best way I personally think to do about it is throw some guppies or ( insert other hardy fish you would’nt give a fuck about here ) come back in about a month and a half and your good to go
>>
>>2545553
that takes even longer since you first have to grow bacteria that will break the food down into ammonia. But it would work ok I guess since it releases a steady stream of the stuff for a while.

you'll have to keep feeding it until you're ready to use it though.
>>
>>2545486
killme.mov
>>
>>2545553
>>2545566
>>2545567
You can just use fish food. It'll break down faster than tilapia.
>>
>>2545207
>>2545434
I've only seen the betta version in America. Even when people baffle the filter, any food they put in the tank is immediately washed down into the bottom container, and you end up with a festering pile of rotting food and a swollen betta in the bottom tank, but your other two betta are emaciated and starving.

Honestly all aquariums from Aqueon besides their standard glass tanks seem to be total shit, and their other products are very hit or miss.

>>2545476
>Will it just slowly decrease the longer I have sufficient CO2?
Yes.
>I have some excel I could add, but I have no idea if you're supposed to use it if there's already CO2.
That's fine. It works better as an algaecide if you put it into a syringe and squirt it directly on the algae. You can also use peroxide like this.
>>
>Decide to try feeding my new amano shrimp some cucumbler slices
>Shit just floats at the top of the tank

wat
>>
File: N_Vs09bt_400x400.jpg (25 KB, 400x400)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
Hold me /an/
I just lost my pet betta fish. I found him stuck to the intake of the filter, his fins where all destroyed and he was dead.
He was fine just yesterday. I never got to say goodbye.
How could this happen?
How can I make sure this will never happen again?
>>
File: 1487037629010.jpg (15 KB, 255x204)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>2545807
>>
>>2545807
F
>>
>>2545486
the fucking comments

>>hey dont nitpick me! I see other videos that get more likes and views who have small tanks! Go pick on them!
>>You know who's fault it really is? Breeders for breeding the fins long

>>2545806
boil the cucumber for a few minutes, senpai
>>
>>2545807
get a filter sponge, anon

https://www.amazon.com/Pre-Filter-Sponge-Pack-Fluval-Aquarium/dp/B004K9A15G

Or just dont use a filter at all for your next betta
>>
>>2545813
>boil the cucumber for a few minutes, senpai

well shit, I didn't just poison my tank with a slice of unboiled cucumber did I?
>>
>>2545815
no, you're fine. You boil any vegetable to make them sink. Also makes it easier for your pets to eat it. Just remove it after a day since boiled veggies rot and foul the water faster
>>
>>2545811
>>2545812
>>2545814
Thanks anons.
I'm going to revamp my setup and maybe get another fish after a while. I need time to mourn right now. At least my snail bro is still alive, right?
>>
File: Snapchat-2029763100.jpg (305 KB, 720x1280)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
This is the little guy in question. I got him back in June. He was such a good fish, he recognized me and my mom, and was always happy to see us.
>>
Yo I boiled that slice of cucumber up and plopped it in the tank, damn the shrimp went crazy like black friday in detroit.
Thanks for the tip friends!
>>
>>2545797
>Honestly all aquariums from Aqueon besides their standard glass tanks seem to be total shit
Their standard glass tanks aren't that amazing either. However, it's hard to beat $1/gal at Petco....

>>2545839
This is why many betta keepers prefer sponge filters.

Now that you're more experienced, you could get a fancier betta from an online breeder.
>>
File: 4324235.jpg (86 KB, 720x650)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>woke up this morning
>at least 80 Axolotl eggs

OH DOG.
I don't know how to deal with this I only have a 20 gal.
>>
>>2546255
sell them. babies go for pretty a lot. otherwise, you can just let the parents eat them.
>>
>>2546167

At my local Petco (Houston), all the $1/gallon sale tanks are Tetra and not Aqueon. Yes, there's a ton of Aqueon and yes most of the tanks on their website are Aqueon but those $1 tanks are Tetra. I have a 5, 10, 29T, 40L...the 10 and 40L are not set up and still have their Tetra brand stickers sill on/in them. And again, at least in my area...

In my experience, these are good tanks. No, they're not the prettiest but decent tanks and well worth the price.
>>
>>2545807
tetra 3i is a nice filter for bettas
>>
>>2546263
I had a bigger filter that was more like the old models of the Wisper i10 filters, with the adjustable flow. I guess the floe was still too high:/
>>
Almost done a full week, some plants have come lose and had to be replanted, also noticed some leaves dying and new leaves sprouting. Hope the plants take stable root soon so i can add a fish or two
>>
>>2546258
>just let the parents eat them
No wonder they're extinct in the wild...
>>
>>2546314
Most aquatic animals will eat their eggs or young given the chance. A hundred million gallon lake is a lot different from your 20 gallon puddle, believe it or not.

They're extinct in the wild because Mexicans drained their native lakes to build houses.
>>
>>2545807
Can you adjust the flow?
I used to have mine on high flow and my betta sometimes got stuck for a second but quickly swam away
>>
So I'm actually struggling a bit to find this on google..

If I only put ten gallons into a twenty nine gallon tank, and I have a filter (sponge+media) to fit a 30 gallon, approximately how many fish could I keep? Both for bioload and not making them feel cramped? And also maybe suggestions on what type?

I'm doing a some what different paludarium with just lucky bamboo for the plants. I might do some aquatic plants, but more than likely it's going be be bare bottom, or some rather large black rocks for the gravel.
>>
>>2546376
hard question. depends how deep the water is too. some species even if the gallons is correct the water depth will add stress. I'd be stocking it like 10-15 gallon with that kind of sponge filter but it really depends on what sort of fish as well. I'd consider adding in much more water than just 10 or getting a larger tank to do a air+water combo.
>>
Guys I'd like to ask something retarded.

I think my zebra snail is dead but I'm not sure.

It hasn't moved in a few days, then it fell off the plant it was on.Looking at the shell the little "door" is closed. I sniffed it and it doesn't smell like anything dead or decaying. I think it's dead though as I don't think all the snail could fit in the shell without some foot showing?

Any ideas?

I've put him back in the tank obviously.
>>
>>2546484
It's dead. Get another.
>>
>>2546255
wish I didnt live in California sometimes. I'd love some baby axolotls
>>
>>2546496
Oh. Oh well.
>Gary we knew thee well.

I wonder what killed him? Nothing seems to have eaten him and none of his tank mates ever bothered him.
>>
When I cull my cherry shrimp, can I just feed whatever I don't want to my other fish?
>>
>>2546499
are axolotls illegal in commiefornia?
>>
>>2546518
yep. All the cool animals are. That isnt even what's stopping me from getting one. I live in an area that's too hot most of the year to keep an axolotl happy and healthy. Aquarium chillers are expensive too. On top of that, it seems most people out of state are too scared to ship them here
>>
>>2546513
yes, you monster
>>
>>2546376
Depends on what kind of fish you were planning to get.
10 gallon in a tank 30" x 12" only gives you about 6 inches of depth. Taller pieces of lucky bamboo aren't too expensive if you buy them in bulk on Amazonor eBay.
>>
>>2546484
If the door is closed shut tight it usually means the muscles that hold it closed are still working. You can put it in a separate container for a few days to see what happens.
>>
>>2546610
Should I leave him in the tank and see what he does? I don't really have anywhere else to put him.
>>
>>2546496
he aint dead unless he smells
>>2546500
I bought a snail from petco once and he moved a foot in 3 days. Exchanged him for a guy who now zooms around the tank. As soon as they floated the old snail in the snail tank he just started coming out and moving around. I can only imagine he liked the different temperature.
If you can exchange him go ahead and get a new one. If not wait until he dies or starts being active. Sometimes it can take them a whole week to get acclimated
>>
>>2546672
You can just use an empty ice cream bucket or a cut up milk jug.
The thing is, if it is dead and you leave it in the tank, it'll release a lot of ammonia into the tank.
>>
I bought two bettas today to add to my tank with that already has a betta in it. Hope they all get along.
>>
File: 525242424.png (51 KB, 576x600)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>2546867
We should all be able to get along.
>>
>>2546867
I hope the tank is small, betas need 2 be in a tank smaller then fiv galens.
>>
>>2546867
>>2546876
>>2546878
Ignore these assholes, feed the bettas your cum
>>
>>2546892
Is it enough if I give them some leftover prostate fluid from my milking sessions?
>>
Magic eraser works really well in the aquarium! I am surprised.
>>
Would a betta fish like a fish TV nearby? I heard that you should put a mirror near the glass everyday for a minute to entertain it and I thought a phone playing random youtube videos next to the tank would also be good for it. I don't actually own any pets though.
>>
>>2545476
You need more Otos, they like to be in shoals of 6 or more. Of course 2 aren't going to be able to solve your problem. Throw in some nerites as well to let the otos focus on the plants.
Excel can be used in a syringe as an algaecide but don't use peroxide unless you want to risk killing your fish. That's only a viable solution before you've added animals.

Yes, hydrogen peroxide will harmlessly convert to water but it will do so by rapidly oxidizing and you will risk burning your fish to death

You can increase your CO2 and decrease your fertilizing but you should think about adding O2 (ayirstone) at night. I hope you're turning the CO2 off at night because plants can't use CO2 at night and actually give it off so you're suffocating your fish if you leave it on.

You could also add more plants to your tank to absorb more nutrients, or what about attaching moss to those rocks? they will absorb excess nutrients like a sponge. You have algae because you have an excess of something and once you isolate that something you'll get it under control
>>
>>2545195
alright maybe like a 120 long then
>>
>>2544281
that piece is a POS anyway, they didn't make the post long enough so it falls out all. the. fucking. time. Just find something to wedge behind it to keep it level and you'll be good
>>
>>2548530
>Yes, hydrogen peroxide will harmlessly convert to water but it will do so by rapidly oxidizing and you will risk burning your fish to death

different person but I have kuhlis in a tank full of bba. They swim right through the peroxide fizz with no harm done. Some even chill in the bubbles like it feels good. Considering that kuhlis re practically scaleless, i'd have to say that anything else would be fine. I mean i'd remove snails but fish wont have issues

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.