[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Eggbertthe pheasant.jpg (91 KB, 720x960)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
I skinned this pheasant yesterday and its haunted me. I'd never gutted or skinned a fresh-killed animal before, but I didn't know I would feel this way. It's like a mixture of guilt, satisfaction and reverence? Maybe? I'm not guilty to the point that I couldn't do it again or that I think it's wrong, but after stripping its face off, I just felt obligated to treat this body with respect. I could not throw the remains away. It had to be buried. I even named him Eggbert.
Has anyone else felt like this after killing an animal and stripping it of everything you need from it? Do you feel the need to bury its remains? What does it feel like to you to kill an animal for food?
>>
Here’s more of Eggbert. He was a beautiful rooster.
>>
I guess not a lot of people on this board kill animals often enough to have feelings about it lol
>>
I did it with goosens. Was disgusting.
And yeah, I think you are great to treat him with respect. And eat ALL his meat.
>>
>>2544024
Quit being a fucking pussy.

10 year old boys slaughter goats as big as they are with zero fucks given in the 3rd world.

Western life has made you weak.
>>
>>2544030
In the 3th world they respect animals and nature. It doesn't mean they don't kill
>>
>>2544030
But maybe we should have feelings about it. I don’t think it’s weak to think an animal deserves respect. Truth be told this was a new experience for me, but that’s no reason to be a dudebro dick about it. Why not be a balanced human being rather than a guy so far up his own ass he can’t reflect on life for a few seconds or it threatens his sensitive manhood?
>>
>>2544039
>In the 3th world they respect animals and nature.
[citation needed]
>>
that's a pretty good looking bird OP
was it tasty?
>>
Lived a better life than most captive animals and certainly better than any that did or will end up at the supermarket.
Assuming you shot it right, it probably didn't even see it coming.

I don't really feel bad about it but I still get hesitant. Sometimes I like them to much to do it but I don't have the room to keep everything as a pet so I'll spare some chickens or rabbits I think would make good pets if I can find a good home for them. One of my permanent rabbits I got for free since her last two owners had planned to kill her but decided they liked her too much so she got bounced around. She's a pretty rex mix and super chill but the one litter I had her have produced very small kits not great for fur nor meat. She'll live the highlife for the end of her days like a queen with two other permanent does.
>>
>>2544061
I don't understand the "better life" argument. You ended that supposedly wonderful life. Why do you consider that a good thing?
>>
>>2544039
BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Op maybe you should be a comedian.
>>
>>2544067
Tell me they don't
>>
>>2544068
>china
>>
>>2544071
I think if China and USA make a war China wins
(Third world???)
>>
>>2544088
>I think
K den
Keep me posted
>>
>>2544047
Haven’t tasted it yet. I’m saving it for Christmas. But the meat looked pretty yummy.
>>
>>2544061
This was a farmed bird, so I’m not so sure about the “good life” part. Hard to know what a pheasant considers to be a good life though.
>>
It's one of the reasons I don't eat meat anymore. I reasoned along similar lines as you, OP. If I was going to eat meat, then I'm not going to outsource the task of taking life to a mechanical, industrialized slaughterhouse. I'm going to hunt the animal, kill it, and prepare it myself. You know that old dad joke "What does vegetarian mean in Sioux? 'He who can't hunt or fish'" Well it's true, except the chuckling turbofaggots telling the joke don't hunt or fish for sustenance either, the cowardly hypocrites.
>>
>>2544041
>a balanced human being
Understands that humans have the right to eat and kill for their food without the need to feel guilty about it, just like every other fucking animal on the planet. Or maybe that thought "threatens" your "humanity"?

Quit being a bitch.
>>
>>2544039
Have you even been to the 3rd world, pumpkin? Life is cheap, there, and animal life is even cheaper.
>>
>>2544265
Do you farm the cotton or wool you need to make your clothes? Do you make your own clothes? Did you make the materials you needed to build your home? Did you build your home? Did you make the computer or phone you used to make that stupid post? Do you grow your own food?

Seems pretty hypocritical and moronic to feel guilty about relying on others to raise and butcher meat while you have no such qualms about exploiting their labor to clothe your back, house you, and provide you with vegetables and shit to eat and survive.

How about you grow up already, and quit being such a pretentious prat.
>>
>>2543963
Most hunter's and farmers I've met have similar reactions as you. If I had to describe the feeling in words I'd call it grateful or indebted. Its a natural response. Hunting is a relationship with nature, and as with any relationship it is best kept healthy with respect. Because that animal was there you get to eat its meat so treating them and the environment with respect is thanks for that food and a gesture that shows you want that relationship to continue.
>>
>>2544277
Careful with that edge Eugene.
>>
>>2544287
>not being a giant pussy
>edgy
Choose one.
>>
>>2544039
>In the 3th world they respect animals and nature
Wow. Cuck-chan has truly become plebbit2.0 (with the difference that plebbit has not premium membership cards).
>>
>>2544067
OP didn't say that though. Problems with anonymous sites.
>>
>>2544267
OP Here: I don't think we should use third world countries as models for morality. I'm not sure you've noticed, but we are not "animals." We don't have to operate by the same rules. We have the right to kill animals for food, but we can still understand what we're doing at the same time and respect the life it had. I think you skimmed over the part where I didn't think what I did was wrong, but I still gave a shit about the life the pheasant had and gave it a proper burial the way nature intended. If I threw it away, it would be reducing the pheasant to a banana peel, and I have no interest in treating anything that was sentient that way.
>>
>>2544064
Didn't know OP's bird was a captive one but animals in the wild more often than not die pretty horribly. If we are putting morals into it then if it has to die, it's better getting shot and over with it than getting ripped apart alive, dying of starvation, disease or infection. Or in a large scale slaughterhouse industry.

Captive pheasants don't seem to live too bad but I've only known two farmers who kept them. Skittish as fuck things like quails that need vertical space or they can snap their necks if they panic.
>>
>>2544451
>I'm not sure you've noticed, but we are not "animals."
Sure we aren't, pal...in the comfort of our homes with heat, air-conditioning, water, food, security, and clothing. I've seen what happens when you take all of that away, and we're no different than any other beast on the planet.

Pic related: that mob of idiots is no different than a herd of cows rushing for feed.
>>
>>2543963
Nope. I'm a farmer. The best thing I can tell is to have tons of animals and butcher lots at one time. There's less emotional impact for most people in that manner. I'm talking like 5+ animals, preferably 10+. Otherwise, people start projecting, empathizing, and naming them. It all goes down hill from there.
>>
>>2544039
>>
>>2544492
But why can’t we name them and kill them? I think we can establish a relationship and still kill the animal we love. It’s just then we give more of a shit in how the animal is treated.
>>
>>2544483
t. Edgy 14 year old or person with actual autism spectrum disorder
>>
>>2544524
>edgy
Standard comeback from every pussy on 4chan directed towards anyone that fails to embrace the submissive and cowardly approach to life forwarded by said pussy.
>>
>>2544277
None of those things involve taking another creature's life
>>
>>2544530
Ok boyo go live in the woods naked for a while and see what makes a human different from an animal

The fact that we have the intelligence to comprehend philosophical matters like morality and ethics, in addition to the luxuries that our technology has afforded us, means that we don't /have/ to act like wild, instinct driven animals anymore.

If you want to make a debate about factory farming vs. hunting that's another thing, humans still need to eat meat as a dietary requirement and like with everything else, using our technology to rid most people of a supposed moral burden is something that places humans above animals.

In a time of survival, of course it is neccesary to hunt and do things the more "animal" way. Look around though, unless you're posting from an oogabooga hut in africa you've probably got access to a grocery store. Hunting because it is your cultural tradition, or hunting because it is within the law to help thin overpopulation of animals, or even because you want to be prepared in case our technology fails us and you need to do so for sustinence is fine. Hunting just to be better than people who go to the supermarket for food and to prove some asinine point is pretty dumb.

Tl;dr Hunting isn't edgy at all, but doing it exclusively to prove a point about humanity's reliance on technology is.
>>
>>2544483
How the fuck do you think we even have those amenities, bruv? Where have you been the past 15,000 years when humans alone constructed global civilization from nothing? And not only that, they also reflected and wrote about said civilization, starting thousands of years ago. While humans are biological animals, we are only as animal as much as we want to be. I believe you are taking your own abilities for granted to feed into the idea that humans are worthless creatures when in reality the entire world only exists because we are here. No other creature has perceived it as we have, has documented and researched and understood it as we have. No, my friend, we are not "animals." Now stop justifying stupid behavior with false ideas like "we're just animals too!" This isn't fukin Zootopia.
>>
>>2544532
Are you this selective with insects, or just "cute" animals, I wonder. Never mind. I'm not going to argue with the delusional.
>>2544541
>wall of text
Didn't read.
>>
>>2544551
>How the fuck do you think we even have those amenities,
By killing animals and humans alike without crying about it.
>>
>>2544629
Nobody is crying about it anon. Stop making shit up.
>>
>>2544039
Anon I live in a third world shithole and I can assure you that animals here are treated like shit
>>
>>2544629
Like dude, all I said was that I felt a little guilty about skinning an animal and that I felt the need to treat it with respect.

Bruh, I took its face off.

Does that sound like someone who can't handle the death of an animal?
>>
File: 4u.jpg (17 KB, 400x329)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>2544294
>haha fucking soyboy vegan KEKS FAGGOTS pussy
>>
File: you.jpg (38 KB, 1280x720)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>2544652
>>
File: t6IJFiC.jpg (126 KB, 1032x774)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>stop being a pussy OP, man up, you won't survive traversing those snowy mountains and fighting off predators otherwise and no god will save you either cause there's actually no god
>>
File: 1GraAbs.gif (1014 KB, 512x286)
1014 KB
1014 KB GIF
>>2544691
>>
>>2544691
>>2544692
>all this butthurt
>>
>>2544541
>Ok boyo go live in the woods naked for a while and see what makes a human different from an animal
>pets don't outlive their wild and feral counterparts
>>
>>2544716
What did this thread even become?
>>
File: pheasant.jpg (2.01 MB, 2656x1494)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>2543963
>Has anyone else felt like this after killing an animal
Of course, but after the age of 6 you get over it, as you empathy dulls.
>>
ffs what a sad thread. didnt know /an/ had so many masculinity issues. who hurt you guys?
>>2543963
a friend of mine had to do so recently. shot and skinned some kind of small bird for his grandfathers dog. since then hes treated animals much nicer, even rescued a small pack of javalinas from the middle of the road
>>
>>2545521
>killing defenseless living beings and bragging about it in the shittiest gutter on the Internet
somehow makes you more masculine
>>
>>2543963
Honestly I would feel worse about killing an animal for no reason.
>>
>>2544039
>in the thith world
>>
>>2544522
Not him but when selling meat is your livelihood you learn not to voluntarily fuck yourself in the head by getting yourself emotionally invested with animals then taking them to bits.
>>
>>2544030
I grew up in Appalachia and was helping with slaughtering hogs when I was fucking 8. Liberal life has made you weak, there are still men in the West.
>>
>>2544267
what if my food is human meat?
edgy brainlet.
>>
>>2545521
I don't know why people think hunting makes you "manly." It just makes you part of the system.

>>2545842
Slaughtering animals without feeling bad about it isn't manly. It's just business and production of resources. Not saying you should cry about it or anything, but it's nothing to brag about.
>>
>>2545895
"durr what if my food is human meat tho xdd"
i think you are the edgy one here
and also a bleeding heart faggot
>>
>>2545895
>talk about eating human flesh
No anon, you are the edgy one.
>>
File: 1507259757205.jpg (131 KB, 750x721)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>2544522
Because getting attached makes it harder to kill them? I'm not a farmer and have zero experience killing things because I live in suburbia and don't see the point in doing it when the dozens of supermarkets have what I need, but it seems like a pretty obvious answer, especially if you make your livelihood off of selling meat. If you love something I doubt you could just pop it in the head like it's nothing
>>
Vegan here.

What's going on in thi-
>>
>>2546220
Sorry, that was a stupider question than I meant it to be. My thought was that we can love an animal and still take its life because that is still the animal’s purpowe in our lives. Loving an animal and giving it a name might make us respect the meat we eat a bit more. I dunno, it just seems like a more meaningful experience that way but that’s prob just me.
>>
File: dillo01.gif (1.41 MB, 225x400)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB GIF
>>2546246
I don't know, thinking about how another living thing's purpose in my life is to die for sustenance feels a bit fucked. I guess it's true, but not nice to think about. It's also important to note there's a fine line between hunting and killing occasionally and actually being a part of the meat market, having a "meaningful experience" is probably something a hunter could do but not the deli man or the people working slaughterhouses. You gotta be fast and efficient, having a moment with the product is just gonna slow it down. You could argue that giving it a name doesn't mean you'll get attached to it, but I'd argue that the only reason to give it a name is because of an attachment.
>>
File: 1467275137416.gif (1.65 MB, 200x150)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB GIF
>>2544039
>>
>>2544068
They don't. They really really really don't
>>
>>2544068
Are you one of those who think they only do the the shit they do, because of the white man?
>>
>>2543963
>I even named him Eggbert.
God, what a fucking faggot.
>>
File: IMG_2605.jpg (102 KB, 600x842)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>2544039
You're a fucking idiot, too much furry Disney shit does this to you
>>
>>2544269
Have you?

>>2547602
Oh yeah a single picture can define how an entire nation treats animals, and that pic doesn't even prove that animal was mistreated

Why do ignorant people always have the need to shit from their mouths?
>>
>>2544541
>t. glorified ape
>>
>>2547623
are you seriously arguing that 3rd world countries treat animals well?
>>2547734
>>
>>2544200
Pheasant isn't that philosophical, if the pheasants needs are taken care of and can roam about outside of some small box then I reckon it's a happy pheasant but that's just an estimate.
>>
>>2544627
Durr, too retarded to read a few sentences, gibs me a TL;DR like on reddit or I won't read it because I'm proud of my deficiency xD

>Reason No. 924 that humanity is fucked.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.