[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

How do you feel about big cat hybrids like the liliger? Neat, playing God, or both?
>>
File: 2014-10-24-Blackbuck.jpg (66 KB, 800x533)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>2544179
Ligers have been known to exist in the wilds of India, but are incredibly to near never happening.

It's mainly due to the difference in environment they prefer, but the India have some sudden overlaps in environments to where you can see creatures of very different environments interacting.
>>
At some point they always stop being fertile it's boring. Also a damn waste of fertile rare wombs.
>>
>>2544279
As far as I know the female ligers are fertile, just not the males.
>>
Does anyone know if jaguars and mountain lions are genetically compatible? Because jaguars are slowly moving up from South America into North America. One was spotted outside of Tucson Arizona a couple of years ago. So it's only a matter of time before a male of one species and a female of another species who is in heat cross paths.
>>
File: pumapard5.jpg (22 KB, 420x229)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>2545386
They can interbreed with leopards so I don't see why not.
>>
File: pumapard-foster-bitch.jpg (168 KB, 1444x976)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>2545415
They look like smaller wild cats in the head while jaguars and leopards are more long and broad.
>>
>>2545415
>>2545386
>>2545417
>>2545417
yes but can their offspring reproduce?
>>
>>2544179
Who fucking cares?
>>
>>2544179
Liliger is one aesthetic kitty
>>
maybe the greatest junior heavyweight of all time
>>
>>2545524
When it comes to cats I believe all males are sterile, but female hybrids can reproduce with fertile males of either of their parents species. Which is why you have second or even third generation hybrids like OPs pic. Isn't this also true with mules, horse/donkey hybrids?

Also, does anyone have pictures of leopard/lion hybrids? Those things are fucking gorgeous. But web searches are just giving me the same two images over and over interspersed with shitty photoshop pics.
>>
>>2544179
Dat ass
>>
File: pumaocelot-female.jpg (34 KB, 373x244)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>2545524
>>2546549
It's been a long time since middle school science class so bear with me. I could be entirely wrong so anyone who knows better feel free to correct.

Using humans as an example: Sperm and cell cells contain 23 chromosomes each. Sperm and egg combine and it becomes 46.

Donkeys have 62 chromosomes, horses have 64 and mules have 63(32 are from horses while 31 are from donkeys). There are no recorded cases of a fertile male mule but females occasionally can reproduce.

>Note: Not sure about zebra-hybrids but I imagine males are sterile and as far as I know there has never been a fertile zebra-hybrid mare.

Most cats have 28 chromosomes. Lions, tigers, jaguars, pumas, etc though some south american felines only have 3 such as the ocelot.
(Pumas and ocelot hybrids have been recorded)
http://messybeast.com/genetics/hyb-pumaxocelot.htm

We used to think that animals with a different number of chromosomes can't reproduce(not sure how they explained mules since i imagine they've been around for awhile but maybe they didn't know about chromosomes then) but mules, sheep x goat hybrids(not the chimeras) and african x asian elephants have produced hybrids despite they have a different number of chromosomes.

According to this source which I already forgot where I got it
>The different structure and number usually prevents the chromosomes from pairing up properly and creating successful embryos, rendering most mules infertile.

Brings us back to the different number of chromosomes isn't a law when it comes to breeding but if tigers and lions have the same amount of chromosomes - as do pumas and jaguars - why can't male ligers and puma/jaguars wouldn't be able to reproduce when females can?

- cont
>>
File: jaglion.png (351 KB, 500x342)
351 KB
351 KB PNG
>>2546601
I'm not sure but I would assume that like male mules, chromosomes on the male part/reproductive cells just aren't lined up right but I'm finding very little information on why it could be this or that such as testing for sperm quality(too many dead ones, mutations, 'unhealthy' sperm, etc) or hormone levels since no one is mentioning if whether or not males even attempt to mate.

>>2546549
Leopard/lion or do you mean leopard/jaguar like pic related?
Bear Creek Sanctuary has two jaglions and fuck them for not having better pictures.
>>
>>2545989
Mein neger. Do you come to /asp/ often?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.