[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 4be8293ab2a98.jpg (32 KB, 670x446)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
Came home after New Years and found two of my neons have a touch of fungus. I don't have any meds around other than some stress guard and para guard. I have a bunch of loaches n cats so I don't really want to medicate that much as I know that fungus meds can harm them.
Any suggestions for keeping these guys alive?
>>
>>2564523
Salt treatment is probably your best bet if you can't get or can't use malachite green on your species.

also i'd try to discover why your fish have infections, did they get burned by ammonia or attacked?
>>
>>2564529
>>>2564523 (OP) (You)
>Salt treatment is probably your best bet if you can't get or can't use malachite green on your species.
>also i'd try to discover why your fish have infections, did they get burned by ammonia or attacked?

Salt treatment?
I'm guess you mean sea salt?
How much? It's a 20 gal tank?
I had one of those 3 day feeders in there and it wasn't dissolved in 6 days. I took it out, changed the filter, did a 1/4 water change and added some stress guard
>>
>>2564551
oh hey, it's the "changed the filter" guy.

we still have no clue what you're talking about. Whatever it is, it's not normal or safe.
>>
>>2564551
one of the ways to treat illness in fish is too add salt to the water to kill freshwater parasites that can not survive the salinity change as well.
any non-iodized salt should work.

I don't know the exact dose off the top of my head, and depends on if you are going to to do a bath or a dip. a bath you treat the whole tank and a dip you treat just the fish affected in another container. I don't know wich will work better for the fungal infection.

I do know cories don't like salt.
>>
Salt and malachite green aren't useful against fungus.

just buy an antifungal med and ignore /an/. This is a terrible place to go for fish advice.
>>
>>2564592
Dude.. I have no idea what the fuck you are on a about.
The last time I posted here was about 9 !months ago about assassin snails and I made no mention of a filter then.
>>
>>2564645
a couple weeks ago someone said they changed their filter and we spent the next week straight trying to figure out what they meant by that.
>>
Pimafix is safe for the corys and should take care of the fungus. It's mostly tea tree oil and if you can find 30% tea tree oil you can mix anti fungal meds yourself for a few bucks.
>>
>>2564686
Pimafix is the way to go
>>
>>2564673
>>>2564645 (You)
>a couple weeks ago someone said they changed their filter and we spent the next week straight trying to figure out what they meant by that.

Well to sooth your mind... I took out my tank filter, cleaned it and changed the filter cartridges and charcoal but just rinsed the bio-filter
>>
>>2564725
doesn't really sooth my anything since the cartridges are the biofilter where I come from, but whatever.

carry on.
>>
>>2564686
Melafix is made with tea tree oil (Melaleuca).
Pimafix is made with bay oil (Pimenta).

In either case it's only 1-3%.
>>
Do they have ick?
>>
>>2565897
>In either case it's only 1-3%
because as usual both are highly toxic to fish.

they dilute them down so they don't kill fish, but at those concentrations they also don't kill fungi or bacteria.
>>
>>2565942
>but at those concentrations they also don't kill fungi or bacteria.
Fake and gay.
>>
>>2566008
the concentration will kill bacteria and fungi (1%-3% is an effective dose).

but that's not the concentration after you add it to your tank.

Melafix for example requires a dose of 5ml/190L.
Or 5ml/190,000ml.

at this dilution your 1% melaleuca becomes .00000023%.

so while 1% melaleuca probably is effective against some bacteria and fungi, .00000023% IS NOT.

it has no effects whatsoever.
>>
>>2564754
>>2564725
>>2564673
>>2564645
>>2564592
Oh hey I was one of the guys trying to figure out what the fuck "changed the filter" meant too, but gave up.

Glad to know the mystery lives on.

>>2564725
>but just rinsed the bio-filter
What part do you think is the bio-filter? I am legit trying to help out 'cause this filter shit is pretty confusing for first-timers.
>yes I am resurrecting this investigation
>>
>>2564523
>>2564529
>>2564551
>>2564600
Dude just get an isolation tank and treat the fish separately if you are worried about other more delicate fish being affected by meds/salt.

Keep up water changes in the main aquarium to keep everyone in as top shape as possible to fight off any infection.

The isolation tank doesn't have to be fancy. It can be a food-safe tub with a bit of your bio media and an airstone. Possibly a heater if your home is too cold.

It's also easier to treat, spot feed, and keep extra clean this way as well since you are not treating a big tank.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.