[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Dog General #9 - Year of the Dog edition

Dog food review site - https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Puppy guide - http://drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=1449

Discord link goes to #mammal:
https://discord.gg/3xGbBG2

>What should I feed my dog?
>What breed of dog should I get?
>How do I train my dog?
>Rate my dog!
>Should I bring my dog to a vet?
>What breed is my dog?
>What toys should I get my dog?
>My dog is doing x, what do I do?
>Where do I get a dog?
>How do I take care of a puppy?
>How do I house train a dog?
>Can my dog eat this?
>Let me blog post!
And much more!
>>
File: 1514678287566.jpg (907 KB, 2560x1440)
907 KB
907 KB JPG
first for my dog starring in my kino

palm d'paw
>>
My dog has developed a taste for shit. Any shit he finds on walks he wants to eat. Do I need to take him to the vet? He used to never do this, he gets a high quality food, no table scraps, good quality treats, and the other dog who gets the exact same stuff he gets doesn’t eat shit.

So vet or nothing to worry about?
>>
>>2565674
all animals eat shit
just don't let him
>>
>>2565674
Teach leave it, and reward with a high value treat when he listens to you and doesn't eat the shit. Vet visit wouldn't be a terrible idea. Maybe he has some digestive problem.

I caught bronchitis and my dog is keeping me company while I'm in bed. She's so sweet.
>>
>>2565674
It's completely normal, just train them to leave the shit alone.
>>
>>2565678
>>2565680
>>2565687
Even if it’s a new behavior?
>>
>>2565718
Yes, new behaviors occur all the time. Your dog probably got bored, taste tested some shit and found out he doesn't mind the taste. My dog does the same thing, also loves eating mulch which could hurt her stomach. It's been a couple weeks but the mulch and shit eating is finally slowing down after training.

There's a chance your dog could have parasites or nutritional problems but it's unlikely if you've obviously been deworming your dog regularly and it has been eating the same food for a while with no issues. You could expand your dogs diet a little if you're concerned about nutrition or just deworm it if you haven't done that recently.
>>
File: pepeface.gif (778 KB, 153x165)
778 KB
778 KB GIF
>>2565693
plz respond
>>
>>2565718
Actually, I'd go against what these other anons are saying and take your dog to the vet to get a set of bloods done. Spontaneous coprophagia may be an indication of nutritional imbalance caused by an underlying medical condition.
>>
>>2565693
Giving the dog a name is good for training purposes, record documentation, etc. But if you want to "not give it a name", you could refer to it as dog or something.
>>
any pointing/hpr/hunting dogs that average out at 50kg ish?
>>
>>2565759
Just give the thing a name, even if it’s dog.
>>
Just walked my dog and noticed small worms in their feces, maybe 2/3, all a couple cm long. Checked online and this might be tapeworm?
>>
>>2565898
Its tape or round. See a vet!
>>
>>2565898
No matter what it is, go to the vet and just get some dewormer. Cheap fix and it’ll make your doggo feel way better.
>>
>>2565830
>kg

you niggers can't own guns
>>
>>2566119
t. never travelled abroad
>>
I have an 8 yo golden retriever and I swear the leash is like the release switch on his sphincter. In a single 45 min walk, he tends to pop a squat anywhere between 3-7 times, and I know he is forcing it because each will get progressively worse than the last one. It is not like I don't let him out into the backyard when he wants to, he just seems to hold it in or something and wait until the next walk. Are there any training methods out there for teaching your dog to stop shitting so much?

I know the topic isn't pleasant, so here is a puppy.
>>
It won't be year of the dog until mid-february, OP. It's still the year of the cock until then.
>>
Two days ago, pretty suddenly, this red lump appeared on him, yesterday I took it to the vet, kind of, but the vet wasn't there then we send her this picture and she recommended some creams that we already applied.
But I'm still worried I googled red lump on lips and they said papillomavirus and I'm no vet but I'm kind of a medfag so I know there's no treatment but to wait to go away, could it actually be that? I'll take it to another vet and hopefully get biopsy to see what's going on but help guys I'm worried
>>
>>2565830
That sounds really really big for a hunting dog.

>>2566226
Have you taken him to the vet to rule out any possible underlying medical conditions?

I know this isn’t exactly the same thing but my dog will shit as many times as you take him for a walk. Sometimes he’ll shit twice in a walk when he went four hours earlier, and then will easily shit once more if you take him outside again.

>>2566239
Hope he is okay. Pleas keep us updated!
>>
>>2566356
not really, GSP/Weim gets to about 40kg which isn't too far off
>>
>>2565392
I want a keeshond but they are kinda rare
I also would like a St. Bernard x Poodle but they are all ((((designer mixes)))) and cost 8 million dollars
What's an intelligent breed that doesn't require tons of exercise and constant stimulation, and also has low prey drive and good recall?
House with yard, walked 3 times a day, 30 minutes of fetch at the very least and then hikes or dog park on Saturday.
>>
File: derpy.jpg (334 KB, 2526x1533)
334 KB
334 KB JPG
>>2565392
Dog is Love
>>
>order a harness for a fiver as dog wont fucking stop pulling
>expect a shitty thing
>its actually very well made
wtf I love china now
>>
>>2566370
they good harnesses to stop the dogs from jumping out of the boiling pots
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (138 KB, 1100x1100)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>2566371
kek
this is the one I got if anyone else is interested

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Dog-Puppy-Non-Pull-Harness-Training-Control-Lead-Strap-Chest-Play-Walking/311884388761?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=610717207776&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Will post a pic later of my mutt wearing it, he just got back from a walk though
>>
It's 10 degrees here and my dog needs a bath because my other dog pissed on the floor and she slipped in it and got it everywhere. Should I just dry her off and put her in front of a space heater to dry off or is that a bad idea?
>>
>>2566073
>>2566114
Thanks for the confirmation, I bought some multipurpose dewormer but I'm also checking with local vet for an appointment.
>>
>>2565830
I'll ask my friend what breed his dogs are, he does super well in competitions with them. They're coyote/coon dogs I believe idk if it'll be big enough for you but they're good dogs. He legit has 20 of them he let me go into their fenced in area and it was heaven.
>>
Can dogs taste spicy? My dog stole a hot cheeto from me
>>
>>2566619
nah my dog ate a whole green chilli (the vicious ones) and didn't feel a thing
>>
>>2566626
Anytime I make spicy food my dog begs way harder than normal. Is it possible for them to like it? I'll occasionally give her little pieces of chicken without seasoning but that's it.
>>
>>2565759
It will be very difficult to refer to the dog whenever you need to bring it to a vet, if it gets lost, if the police pick it up, or just to get the animal's attention. Even if you don't traditionally name it, it will figure out that something, maybe a whistle or a clap or whatever, will mean it's being summoned and basically act like a name. So if nothing else, at least give your dog a name on paper even if it's just 'Dog', and say it responds to whistling, bells, a loud moist fart, whatever if you ever need to find him.
>>2566226
Honestly pretty simple, say the command when he shits and reward. Eventually get it so when you walk he shits on command, and stop rewarding when he shits without command. Alternatively, when you go for a walk say a command like 'lets walk' and walk walk for about 10 minutes or so, however long you want to walk, then after that say another command, like 'let's go' and walk steadily without stopping. That way he learns once you say the command, shitting time is over.
>>2566364
>intelligent
>not needing excessive stimulation
Pick one. Any breed known for it's intelligence is going to need a ton of mental stimulation. The whole point of getting a smart breed is to stimulate it mentally, teach it to do dumb tricks or agility or whatever. Honestly, I'd recommend toy dogs like Pomeranians and Pappillions; they are intelligent, don't require a lot physically and are small enough that if left bored they can't do as much damage as a larger dog. They also have low prey drives and like to stick by their owner, which is good for hiking. They are not known for dog or human aggression either and are generally very social.
>>2566416
I imagine you can't bathe her indoors? I'd suggest trying a no water shampoo first and if that doesn't work, and you cant just use a minimal amount of soap and water with a washcloth inside, then use as little water as fast as possible outside and bring her in asap and keep her warm while she dries off.
>>
>>2566631
idk they love strong flavours so maybe they do enjoy spicy food
>>
Anyone let their pups play in the snow?
>>
File: IMG_20171212_1536341.jpg (2.76 MB, 3144x4192)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB JPG
>>2566650
>>
File: IMAG0261.jpg (1.3 MB, 3264x1952)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>2566650
Nope, she'll be waiting for me at the door the whole time I'm outside when it's this cold.
>>
Can I let my 4 month old puppy run a mile with me if he's off leash? Wanna train him to be a good jogging partner asap
>>
>>2566673
What breed? How big is it?
>>
File: IMG_20180101_2253058.jpg (1.02 MB, 2119x3806)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>2566675
vizsla x lurcher
16kg
pretty fucking lanky, same height as a fully grown lab atm
>>
>>2566685
Try it on a half mile and see how it does then move up to the mile if it can handle it. Have you worked with the off leash any?
>>
File: IMG_20171229_1252160.jpg (3.6 MB, 3144x4192)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB JPG
>>2566688
yeah he goes off leash every day at the park or a nature trail

he never runs out of sight, always comes when called and if I run then he follows instantly and runs beside me but sometimes tries to jump up
>>
>>2566691
Cute dog. I don't see a problem with it if it doesn't hurt him. I wish it'd get over 10 degrees outside so I could take my dog on a trail.
>>
File: IMG-20180104-WA0010.jpg (834 KB, 3840x2160)
834 KB
834 KB JPG
>>2566692
Just worried about his bones but tbqh he runs like a mad cunt with or without me so I may as well join in with him
>>
>>2565830
Walker foxhound is what my friend has. Idk if it fits your needs.
>>
>>2566650
>tfw no snow
I'm gonna drive up to Tahoe this year with my doggies. Too bad I can't give them regular access to the snow.
>>
>>2566633
>intelligent
>not needing excessive stimulation
Toy dogs are a no I don't want the coyotes to have an easy meal. They also won't be able to keep up when I go biking or hiking. I don't mind a smart breed that I have to stimulate and train--that's why I want a smart dog--I just don't want a shepherding dog that was bred to run for 12 hours a day 5 days a week.
>>
>>2566839
Just to echo this, why would anyone want a toy dog? They're the size of cats
>>
>>2566866
some people want a dog but dont want to deal with dog stuff. they have tiny poops, eat little amounts, are fluffy cuddle buddies, will do fine in an apartment, etc. but people dont get they still need training amd everything which is why they get stereotyped as yappy little shits. all dogs are good dogs.
>>
File: Mack (2).jpg (152 KB, 720x960)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
Anyone have experience with bull terriers? Ours is ~4.5 months old. Strong and fun. Loves to cudle and play and pretend he is a lap dog.
>>
File: onlythrow.png (224 KB, 1280x640)
224 KB
224 KB PNG
ok my dog is driving my nuts
he's old as fuck, 15
small, 6kg or so
short haired
and it's very cold here
he can't go outside for more than a couple minutes without freezing his paws off
i have boots for him but he kicks them off unless i cut off his circulation putting them on so tight so i mostly keep him indoors. walks further than the corner are basically out
i can't really play with him because he has degenerative disc disease so tug games are out and he doesn't play fetch (see pic related) toys make him possessive and growly so that's not very good either
he's obviously bored to tears, super clingy and mischievous
i have a kong wobbler for his food and give him a bully stick everyday
what else can i do to keep him sane?
>>
File: d.jpg (18 KB, 400x400)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
What was your favorite dog you've ever had anons?

What was their name, breed, and why were they your favorite?
>>
>>2566933
take him to some kind of doggy day care and let him interact with other dogs?
>>
File: IMG_0061.jpg (2.9 MB, 3024x4032)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB JPG
i love my little dog
>>
>>2565409
Nice pic, man. Do you walk him off leash or is he on a long line?

>>2565674
Lots of dogs eat shit, unfortunately. But because you say this is a new development and he didn't used to do this, I would rule out any health problems that could be causing it, before assuming it's behavioral. Suddenly eating shit could be indicative of a medical issue in the gut so it's best to get that checked out just in case.

If a checkup at the vet gives him the all clear, then work on training him to leave it.

>>2565759
I mean yeah, you CAN do this (so long as your dog understands some other word or noise that means you're asking for his attention.) But it would be weird and difficult to refer to him when talking to others. I see no reason to avoid giving it a name.

>>2565898
I can't tell you for sure what kinds of worms they are, but get your dog some dewormer to take care of the problem. A vet will know what kind it is.

>>2566226
Honestly you describing him straining to go several times makes it sound like he might have some medical condition causing this. I'd take him to the vet to rule that out before considering it as just a behavioral quirk.
>>
File: snow maple.jpg (72 KB, 960x720)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>2566650
For sure, anytime we have snow! Unfortunately we live in the south so we don't get a lot of snow. But when we do get it, Maple loves it. She just likes cold weather in general, really (she even likes to swim when it's freezing cold and snowing out,) but then when it's time to come inside she also likes to snuggle and get warm.

Pic related, when we went for a little hike in the snow a few years back.

Lana looks like she's really having fun in the snow!

>>2566673
No, that's too long for a 4 month old pup. Running around a little in your yard or at the park with the pup, with frequent breaks, is fine. But compelled/sustained running should be avoided, especially for long spurts like that.

Even a half mile run is too long for a puppy. Basically any dedicated "runs" should be avoided until he's fully grown. It's not about how big he is, it's about his joints not being fully formed. Excessive running or high impact exercise can damage his bones/joints as he's growing and cause problems for him later in life. Even if you don't notice any adverse effects now, it can cause problems in the future when he's older.

Be safe and stick to just walks for now! :)

>>2566933
Doesn't solve the issue of his paws, but have you tried a jacket or sweater for walks outside? It may keep him warm enough for him to tolerate a bit longer walks.

Also, consider a different brand of boots. It can be hard to find properly fitted boots for small dogs so there could be a lot of trial and error here. Also some people have success with the boots fitting better when you also put socks on the dog's feet first?
>>
>>2567154
fine i'll hold back on the running ree
>>2567151
off leash
>>
File: 20171225_162214.jpg (2.15 MB, 1960x3226)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
Rate my dogger he is 11 years old this year. He is a cranky boi
>>
>>2567285
Are you sure 11 years? Looks 11 months
>>
>>2567292
Everyone says that. But yes. I think it's the lighting, sometimes he looks old and other times really youthful for some reason
>>
>snowed like a motherfucker yesterday
>Dog is a husky
>snow is thigh deep for me
>walk consists of him jumping at full power for every single step he has to take
>he gets a massive workout and tired way faster
>dont walk him where the snow has been plowed
hehehehehe
>>
I own a 3 month old Akita, when will my training really start to pay off and when does the goofy puppy behavior start to disappear?

Do bigger dogs take longer to mature personality wise?

Any tips for working on "drop it/leave it"? Whenever she picks a toy that I give her, she tends to just drop it instantly without actually responding to the command. I can't make her hold her toys.

If it's something like.. a piece of mulch or wood, she will run away with it and carry it around. Any suggestions on what type of item to use to work on that command?
>>
File: dog v swans.jpg (402 KB, 1224x918)
402 KB
402 KB JPG
place your bets
>>
>>2567323
Your dog looks like a bitch so probably the swans. Normally a dog would be able to just genocide all swans without breaking a sweat though.
>>
>>2567323
swans win
>>
File: this thing.png (1.38 MB, 1280x720)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
>>2567326
>>2567327
delet.
>>
File: 1504259905345.png (3 KB, 448x357)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>had 3 dogs over the course of my life.
>First was German shepherd, but he was under my fathers care because I was young (8 years old).
>have decent experience with toy breeds, mainly because other two dogs were Westies.
>they tired out pretty easily after an hour of playing,weren't exactly smart, were all bark no bite and scared easily.

Im much older now, own a decent sized house with backyard. I was thinking of trying a bigger size, and decided on a German shepherd. I scoured various sources, and got that they were a pain in the ass to keep. Its exactly what I want mind you, im in for a challenge and in a quest to make an unbreakable bond.

As Im in for it im modeling it after my memories of my fathers dog, which was pretty wild and untrained dog which liked to as a hobby paralyze cats by their spine then went out of his way to drown them in a river nearby, but when I remember the bond they had, the amount of care this dog put into handling me and protecting me when I was but a toddler is amazing. Obviously dog received no training from my pops as he was clueless, but what he did receive was enormous amount of time my father spent with him.

MY QUESTION IS, is this enough to make that kind of bond with a dog or is it just a roll of dice to get "that kind of dog"
I'm just kind of sick of smaller dogs, that just wag their tail for a treat and nothing else.
Maybe it was my fault for not getting a great experience out of those two westies, but to be honest neither had nor could get any discipline. As there were 4 different hands feeding them, walking them playing with them as opposed to one and only one man that spent almost his entire free time on his dog.
>>
>>2567365
if you spend time with any dog it'll bond with you but not all dogs will bite someone for you or cuddle with you
>>
>>2567376
Im just looking for a sharp dog. Im not looking for him to bite unless its for his self defence. After tiring day it would not be bad if he could lie beside my feet.
Of course if he is sharp, I want him to stay sharp so I will work together with GS. I will definitely dedicate atleast 2 hours a day average to him entirely, but in return I would like him to be loyal doggo, don't mind if hes unsocialized with other dogs, given that I live in a small city. Also want to make him really agile, so I had in plan turning my backyard into a mini agility course that I would gradually make him do more and more and construct more challenging obstacles (I'm /diy/)

Just typing this up, It seems I already decided, as what I get sounds amazing experience. Thanks for listening my monologue.
>>
>>2567387
GSD aren't really sporting dogs in this day and age

If you want something bred to be by your side 24/7, consider a 'velcro' dog like a Vizsla
>>
>>2567389
Was looking at this dog and it looks just what I was searching for. I live a pretty solitary life, but im still working for 8-10 hours. Will this kind of dog be able to handle it?
>>
>>2567419
no dog will be fine being left alone for 10 hours unless someone walks it during the day

they are very very affectionate, powerful, fast and intelligent though and good watch dogs
>>
>>2567419
> I live a pretty solitary life, but im still working for 8-10 hours.

Every fucking time

Don't get any dog
>>
>>2567419
If the dog is able to get outside by itself, then yes. Especially if you have a very independent and lazy breed that doesn't mind being indoors or chilling out alone. You're basically asking for the perfect dog though and every dog is different so you don't really know what you're getting.

You would still need to spend a lot of time training the dog before you could ever reach a point that it could be alone in your house while you are at work.
>>
>>2567365
Try volunteering at a rescue to home a dog
That way you can get the experience with none of the commitment.
If you enjoy it, then get a dog.
I did this with my husky since everyone said they were a pain to keep. Turns out that my time going /out/ and running in the mornings is enough to keep him satisfied and not stressed and taking it out on destroying the house.
I also met the breeder through that same rescue.

>>2567389
He's probably never going to find a vizsla, thats terrible advice. More common breeds are not only easier to find good breeders for, but wont be out of his budget in the 4k range.

>>2567419
Get your dog plenty of exercise daily. That's every day, for him and you don't take days off. Ever heard of canicross? Now is a great time for some dogs to really work trudging through snow. If you live near a beach, running on the sand is great as well.
A backyard agility course works too, but you should know that dogs don't really get much of a workout from that. Last I heard they only burn 25% more calories while doing agility or running on flat grass or pavement than they do when they're just laying around sleeping.

I've never had a GSD but for any dog, when they're bored or full of energy, they will chew on everything and dig lots of holes. Make sure you have a good fence in your yard, that you don't mind when he inevitably makes holes, and that you get lots of chew toys that he knows are for chewing. Try getting a doggy door in your house too.
I leave my dog unsupervised at home when I'm at work, he hangs out inside and goes through the back door to the yard to relieve himself or mess around when he wants. Having a yard is a huge benefit.
>>
>>2567437
if he's American he can find one easily
If he's in any country that's first world he will find one easily

Shut up faggot
>>
>>2567421
>>2567425

10 hours is a stretch but it happens during summers a lot. Otherwise 8 hours is the norm.

What else can I say, I have to work to ensure mine and dogs existence, I can't control how its gonna turn out and 5 days of week im out for 8 hours. It would be great if he could sleep through most of those hours. Would waking an hour earlier to give him a walk and do some intensive exercise get him to doze off?

>>2567431
All of this sounds harsh, because I really don't live with anybody else. I mean I could pay someone to walk him, but I don't want that at all. Im not about to say fuck you dog for your needs, but I want to make a compromise that works for both of us. I want to make both of our time fun, but getting him to be alone for 8 hours is what I'm feeling guilty about. Idea would be to tire him out as fuck before I go to work. Then after work care for him and have fun.
>>
>>2567453
no dog for you buddy
>>
>>2567453
>What else can I say, I have to work to ensure mine and dogs existence
Focus on ensuring yours rather than getting a dog and making both its life and yours worse
>It would be great if he could sleep through most of those hours.
He won't
>Would waking an hour earlier to give him a walk and do some intensive exercise get him to doze off?
Not for 8 hours
>All of this sounds harsh, because I really don't live with anybody else.
Then don't get a dog
>>
>>2567454
>>2567457
I'm still gonna get a dog, regardless of these retard tier advices.
There is no reason to not get a dog unless you are a NEET or have a family.
Im also 100% sure there are dogs in the pound whose lives would be better with a caring owner that disappears for 8 hours rather than fending for themselves.
Im also sure this board is pretty sensitive to animals, but I don't think their life has to be sparkles and shit, of course there are going to be days that he will be bored and lonely, but shit, thats life, on the other hand there will also be days when hes enjoying life at full speed and with lungs full of air, so I don't understand why this kind of better not attitude.

Also I work for a hefty pay, so Im not concerned about literal existence. But its my only income of money so I can't bullshit or slack on it.
>>
>>2567468
>I'm still gonna get a dog, regardless of these retard tier advices.

We know, people like you who post asking for """"""advice"""""" always end up ignoring it which is why any advice you get is going to be half-assed since everyone's sick of the routine by now

The only reason why you haven't been accused of being Mexican yet is because you didn't say you wanted it as a guard dog
>>
>>2567468
get an older dog from a shelter
i have a dog and work full time, he used to be alone a lot of the day
it's fine it just has to be the right dog and you have to really wear it out in the morning before you leave
>>
>>2567471
If he's active he'll be fine.
If he wants a huge active dog like a german shepherd, he needs to see it as a supplement to his lifestyle rather than trying to build it around it.

I still think he should volunteer first for being a temporary foster home for a breed rescue. That will give him the experience without the commitment.
>>
>>2567468
you can have a dog if you leave it alone
but should you?
also a puppy is like owning a newborn baby so good luck with that
>>
>>2567479
A newborn baby that can chew through all your shit. But hey, no big deal if it's bored, right? Dogs can deal with it.
>>
>>2567477
I have a pretty active lifestyle, that can include my doggo, that was one of the contributing reasons why I thought about it. I live within 10 meters to a forest, have tiny workshop in my yard, and do varying physical exercises outside. I also spend a lot of time going through forest, hitting the beach near riverbed, camping out the nights near the said riverbed/forest. Basically im outdoors guy, and in most of my free time I spend it on shit that could use a buddy.
>>
>>2567486
You're going to get one anyway so go find an athletic shorthaired dog. HPR breeds are exactly what you want and should be easy to find. Get a weimaraner, they look the coolest.
>>
>>2567474
Also, not a bad idea, I will actually listen to the advice of that other anon and go check the local shelter. I will give it a try, and if I a dog wins my heart over, I might even accept him into my home.
I don't feel bad about adopting an older dog as long as he has atleast some of the core things I am looking for in a dog and like him enough.
>>
>>2567486
You just need to find something to do with your dog when you are at work.

If you can’t take off a month for a puppy, then you need to adopt an older dog. Puppies require constant attention and cannot hold their bladders for long. They are tons of work and will consume your life for the first year. You need to be able to not be gone for hours a day to raise a good puppy.

However, you do have options for an adult dog.

Doggy day care is great. If you find a good place, your dog will get to play and socialize with other dogs, will get fresh water and a comfy area, and people will take care of it. This doesn’t excuse you from hanging out with your dog after pick him up, but it does fix you a safe and fun place for your dog to be that is better than alone. I take my dogs to day care instead of leaving them alone.

You can also hire a dog walker. Have someone come by your house at noon to take your dog on a 30 minute to an hour walk. This way he can get some exercise, pee and poop, and get some loving.

Hell, you can do this yourself if you live close enough to your job. Come home during lunch, take a spin around the block, and head back.

Point is: you need to have SOME plan in place for leaving your dog alone 8 - 10 hours a day. There are lots of options, but leaving and forgetting about him until work is over is NOT one of them.
>>
>>2567488
>athletic shorthaired dog
>HPR breeds

Why are you trying to force these memes?

A dog with long hair takes like 30 more seconds to take care of than a short haired breed. Literally just brush its coat twice a week and vacuum your house every other day as you should be doing anyways if you aren't a nasty fuck.
4chan really blows out of proportion how much effort it takes to clean up after a long haired dog.

He is also going to use his dog for companionship mostly and regular exercise for which any breed at all would pretty much do. Why in the fuck would he need a gun dog specifically?
>>
>>2567495
sure every dog can do dog things but some do it better than most, i.e dogs bred to be in the field hunting down pheasants then curling up in your lap will be great hiking and companion dogs

also fuck 'long' hair
>>
>>2567494
Since city is small and has no traffic, I can get home in less than 5 minutes with car. I also believe I could walk the dog, and since majority of my work doesn't leave anyone waiting, I believe I could make the boss give me 2 half an hour breaks every 3 and a half hours.Of course all those breaks will have to be worked off in exchange, but I will make him understand my situation.
I won't leave the dog to some random walker, Im going to do it by myself, because after all, I want a companion. Would this be feasible? Emergency plan will have to rely on a dog walker, but im going to make it rare. As for summer when work ramps up, im going to do the same, except I will have to cut on something else, but that can easily be arranged for.
>>
>>2567498
Don’t bother with the breaks. Just take your lunch break, walk your dog, head back, and eat and work at the same time. 5 minutes to home, 30 minute walk, 10 minute training session, 5 minutes to give him a refilled Kong, and you still have 10 minutes to get back to work. It’s 100% feasible. But again, ONLY with an adult dog! Won’t work with a puppy. Doesn’t seem like you are intent on a puppy... just want to reiterate:

Only real concern is getting all busy and having to work late. If that’s the case, then have a dog walker or just do it yourself again and go back. It’s sucks but you can get it to work.

You’re absolutely right that you need to work. Some folks on /an/ just believe the only people who should own dogs are independently wealthy people with a huge tract of land with servents able to care for the dog should the owner have to leave. Doggy day care, a dog walker, or coming home for lunch can and all do work fine.
>>
>>2567508
I never work after 4PM. If I do work 2 hours more its only getting up at 5 AM. So even if I work 10 hours I think it should not be a problem since its would feel same for dog. Getting home as usual at 4. Only problem is my lunch break is only half an hour, so at max I can give him 15 min walk, 10 min training session and still be 5 minutes late for work, which... could be tolerated if I just work off an hour more every 2 weeks. Which I think can be done, boss won't mind if I get the job done and repay him back tardiness every time
Hope it works anyways!
>>
my parents removed the carpet on the stairs in our house and my dog had a bad experience a couple of months ago and slipped a bit. He wasn't hurt but it clearly traumatized him and he hasn't been upstairs since August. I finally put new carpet on the stairs so he won't slip anymore but he's still too scared to go up. I tried luring him with treats it's how I taught him when he was first a pup but he gets like three steps up and goes back down. Any tips? Should I just carry him up or is that a bad idea since he has to learn for himself? I feel bad for him he used to love sleeping on my bed upstairs.
>>
why does reddit hate purebreds so much?
>>
>>2567618
i wouldn't know, i don't go to reddit
>>
>>2567611
Put him in the middle of the stairs and let him choose to either go up, down, or stay stranded. He'll get used to it.

>>2567618
Who cares. Doesn't even matter what kind of dog you get unless you're going to be putting it in competitions or you need it for work.
>>
>>2567618
pretty sure they don't
their current fetish is ACD, because those soyboys can't handle a big dog but want something that can bite so they feel protected

meanwhile /an/ goes the opposite direction and likes greyhounds and borzois because they're big lazy dogs
>>
>>2567154
Maple is a real qt, good picture.
I just moved to North Carolina a couple weeks ago, and from what I hear snow is pretty unusual too.
>>
>>2567285
10/10 he aged remarkably well.
>>
Hello /an/
What are some good dog training manuals ?
>>
My sister just brought home a 45 day old shih tzu, and neither of us have any experience with puppies, does anyone have any guides/tips for dealing with such a young puppy? I want to give her the best life I can.
>>
>>2567706
>manuals
Illiterate men trained dogs and used them as hunters or companions for centuries.
If you want specialized dog training you're going to need more than a manual. Try contacting a club for the breed or the sport you're interested in, associate with them, see how they do things, learn from them.
There are so many books out there and most say the same thing anyways.
>>
Which small/medium, shorthair dog is the most fuckable?
Unironically.
>>
>>2567636
Very few anons actually have long bois. I think the fascination is more that they’re really silly and funny looking dogs.

Most anons probably just have mutts.

>>2567711
>OP literally has a link called “puppy guide”
>what’s a good puppy guide guys
Nigga...
>>
>>2567809
true but longbois are still the only breed to have their own pseudo general, they're basically le 4chan dog at this point
>>
>>2567816
Toadlines also regularly have “pseudo generals” too though.
>>
>>2567822
ones a meme, ones /our meme/
surely you must grasp the board culture by now
>>
>>2567833
I think SMASHED AND SLAMMED is way more /ourmeme/ than longbois TEE BEE AYCH
>>
>>2567845
EL WRONGO big guy
>>
>Watching youtube and commercial comes up
>Its a commercial about some website shit, but has dogs (basset hounds) as an example and shows multiple pictures of it
>Also has will ferrel
>Watch the entire AD

fuck
>>
>>2568005
basset hounds are great doggos
im gonna get one and pretend to be batou
>>
>>2567314
Larger dogs can take longer to mature in general, yes. Even some medium-sized dogs will take 2 or 3 years to reach emotional/social maturity.

You need to convince her that dropping the item will lead to a higher payout than keeping it. In other words, find something high value to her and trade for that. That's the best way to teach it.

>>2567365
Any dog will bond with you given time spent with it and caring for it, training it, etc. But yes, some dogs are more close to their owners than others. German Shepherds are one breed that is known for its loyalty. Herding breeds are another type that tend to be "Velcro" with their owners.

>>2567389
I know of several GSDs that do agility. They might not be as speedy/agile as some others, but they're plenty suited for it if you train them for it.

>>2567419
Plenty of people work full-time and successfully have dogs. Dogs sleep more hours than humans do and a properly trained, exercised/stimulated dog will likely just nap and chill out the majority of the time you're gone. If left with something to do, like given some chews or a stuffed Kong, etc., even better.

However, unless you can get off work for lunch, a puppy won't work out for you with that schedule if you live alone. Even an adult dog would benefit greatly from a doggie door so they could get out into the yard to relieve themselves while you're gone.

10 hours is the LONGEST any dog should ever have to wait for an opportunity to relieve themselves. And that isn't ideal, they shouldn't be expected to wait that long on a regular basis.

It would be best if you had a friend (or paid someone) to come by and take your dog out once during workdays if you're going to have a long workday.

>>2567498
This sounds perfectly fine.Even just coming home for a lunch break is enough. But if you want a puppy, those frequent breaks would be essential.
>>
>>2567611
Reward him for going up a few steps, since you can get him to do that. Keep doing it, and with patience you can work him up to doing more steps. Try to get something really tasty for this, too. I would avoid forcing him though, because that might make him more scared.

>>2567670
Thanks, anon! Have another.

We're in northern Alabama, so we usually only get an inch of snow maybe once or twice a year, if we're lucky. I have some friends up in North Carolina and it looks like they're getting quite a bit of snow this year!
>>
>>2566933
>and he doesn't play fetch (see pic related)
The secret to getting past pic related is to have more balls than the dog can carry in his mouth. At some point, he will drop a ball to pick up a new one, and while you distract him to fetch another ball pick up the one he forgot. It's a little more tedious than standard fetch but your dog still has fun and shouldn't get growly.
>>
I'm considering buying a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Any experience with this beautiful doggo?
>>
>>2568219
My only experience has been with over a dozen different 50% crosses that universally had wildly aggressive temperaments. I’m fairly certain most of these trace back to the same single ridgeback “stud”, so maybe the breed as a whole isn’t worse than pit mixes.
>>
>>2566934
Gretchen and fizzgig. I haven't owned any other dogs, looking to hopefully get another soon, though.
Gretchen was a German Shepherd, she was very tall even for her breed. Very beautiful and fun.
Fizzgig was a mixed breed, probably lab/chow? Not sure, we found her. She was so adorable and sweet, always took things very gently.
They both passed away pretty recently, so when I get around to getting a new pup, I'll definitely have to get used to the energy they have.
>>
>>2566934
Molly, Golden retriever/lab mix. 8 months old now
>>
>>2567611
Put treats at the top of the stairs, the middle, and up 3. Treats will be tempting over the fear
>>
File: 20180106_214931.jpg (749 KB, 2516x1836)
749 KB
749 KB JPG
Nose
>>
>Spending holidays in another country to see my family
>Had to leave my dog with my neighbour
>I know that she's alright because my neighbour sends me pictures and videos of her everyday
>Still miss her a lot

Why am I so attached to this dog? It's been only two weeks and I'm coming back in a month but I want to see her right now
>>
File: 20171214_153512.jpg (2.64 MB, 2936x1836)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
>>2569111
I miss my dog when I'm away from her for only a few hours. I've never been away from her longer than overnight in her whole life, and I feel like several weeks apart from her would kill me!

You love her and she's your constant companion. It's normal to miss her!
>>
File: IMG_1011.jpg (343 KB, 947x1119)
343 KB
343 KB JPG
My dog is 11 and starting to slow down and limp a bit after walking.
I'm booking a vet appointment for her, but it's too early for her to be an 'old dog', right?
>>
Hi all.
My pup (8 year old border terrier) is in a bit of pain with arthritis. We're not eager to start her on pain meds as she'd develop a resistance and she's (hopefully) got a lot of mileage left.

I've heard CBD is safe to use on dogs, and some of you American vets use it.
Is that the case? It sounds like an attractive option.
>>
>>2569241
It honestly depends on the individual dog, anon. And large breeds get old faster than small breeds, and it looks like she's a pretty big dog.

Another thing, she looks pretty overweight, which can also contribute to her showing signs of age earlier. Get her on a diet and slimmed down and I bet she will do much better.
>>
>>2569241
Depends. 100% depends. It doesn’t sound like enough it wrong right now unless there’s something underlying you don’t know about. Odds say she is probably arthritic, and you’ll get some medicine to manage her pain and she’ll have a few more happy years.

Also, she’s looks pretty THICC. Get her on a diet and that will help her mobility tons. I’m sure your vet will get on you about this too, but it’s especially important now that her joints are going bad.

>>2569111
That’s just what dogs do to you man. They’re such amazigly huge parts of your life and you don’t realize that until they they aren’t there.
>>
File: IMG_0070.jpg (1.8 MB, 3024x4032)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
i love this goofy bastard.

>>2569240
you dog is so fucking cute dude
>>
File: htbjj0z1wn46blo1_1280.jpg (317 KB, 1280x746)
317 KB
317 KB JPG
>>2569751
Thanks anon. Your dog is super cute too! Something about chocolate/liver coloration, especially in collie-type dogs, gets me right in the heart. So cute!
>>
What are the healthiest dog breeds?
>>
Is it bad if my dog still "nurses" on his toys at 16 months?
I don't have an incredibly detailed take on his history and I suspect he was taken from mom too early or was from a large litter(he's small for his breed, runt maybe?)
It doesn't appear to be dental related, he doesn't show other signs of nausea and his apatite is normal, so I don't think it's GI tract related.
>>
>>2570349
>What are the healthiest dog breeds?
mutts
poodles
small dogs
>>
>>2566370
>>2566373
Use a similar harness my dude. Shit is solid. Basic harnesses like that is pretty much all you need on any leash.
>>
File: DS-kG_iWAAAV2tj.jpg (680 KB, 1536x2048)
680 KB
680 KB JPG
Hairy doug attempting to look edgy
>>
>dog sleeping peacefully over 3 meters away
>fart gently
>dog instantly wakes up and bolts towards me, starts trying to play with me and smell my face

what
>>
File: 20180108_175125.jpg (2.03 MB, 2160x2160)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
Let's play a game /an/
Guess what mix my fat mutt is.
>>
>>2570803
at least half pit
should consider putting it down
>>
>>2570841
Kek. Then it must be a new species since he only weighs 20lbs.
>>
Is it wrong if I don't consider dogs the size of cats not real dogs?
>>
>>2571054
there is no reason to consider them not dogs. they act like dogs, and are just a bit stupider or stubborn. terriers are awesome as an example. the meme of them being yappy useless jumping and biting little shits is just because people who tend to get small dogs dont want to bother training an animal and they figure a small dog doesnt need it. go watch small dog agility or other small dog events, close enough to the same as a bigger dog. its okay to dislike small dogs but being an epic memer about how they arent real dogs is pretty dumb. yes i have a westie mix so im biased but i treat him like a normal dog and he is well mannered and doesnt jump and if he wasnt a terrier with a fuckhuge preydrive hed be a perfect little dog.
>>
>>2570349
I think the longest-lived dogs on record were cattle dogs or cattle dog mixes?

>>2570579
If it's not health-related, you are probably right that it's likely related to him being taken from his mother too early or something. The behavior itself isn't "bad" necessarily, it's just a symptom leftover from a less-than-ideal puppyhood. But doing the nursing behavior isn't going to harm him, no.

>>2570629
Cute dog!

>>2571054
This: >>2571123
>>
>>2571054
Yes. If a canine was bred to that size it's obviously a dog.
>>
>>2571136
this
>>
File: DSC_3011.jpg (295 KB, 1600x1219)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
>>2570349
A pariah, tbhonest. They can outlive most dog breeds of their size eating only trash.
>>
File: 1256846629393_f.jpg (105 KB, 500x500)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>2570880
>species
What?
Well, you know. Real American pit bull terriers are supposed to be small, because they're terriers after all.
>>
> tfw dog is almost 5 months now and has become very well behaved minus the jumping on people
feels good
how bad are months 8 - 10 though?
>>
File: 5565.jpg (92 KB, 736x539)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>2570803
Jack Russell Terrier or Brazilian terrier?
>>
File: DSCF4273.jpg (2.28 MB, 1728x2304)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
>>2571207
8-10 months old is the "teenage puppy" stage. Their brains might seem to fall out of their heads, they may be more easily distractable, they may push boundaries they previously understood, etc.

Just stick with their training, be consistent in your boundaries and your routine, and focus on the basics and just bonding during those months, and they should go back to their regular selves in no time!
>>
File: IMG_20180109_1249300.jpg (2.28 MB, 4896x3672)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
>>2571213
ok
it's funny how he's come such a long way, glad I ended up my little mutt instead of something else
>>
>>2571212
Yep. That and chihuaha. It surprises how he became bigger than his mom tho.
>>
File: IMG_20180109_205748.jpg (91 KB, 450x600)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
Is it normal for a dog to sleep in this position. He sleeps like this 80% of the time. its uncomfortable to look at. He also sits strange, one leg lies down.
>>
>>2571228
Dogs are experts at being comfy in the most uncomfortable looking positions.
>>
>>2571228
Is that a Canaan dog?
>>
File: IMG_20180109_1445343.jpg (2.43 MB, 4896x3672)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
im back again
I swear most of this thread is me asking dumb
questions

is it bad to walk my puppy for an hour a day?
we go to the park every day, he walks for 15 mins off leash then he goes off leash for the rest of it
>>
>>2571233
Nah, he's a kintamani puppy
>>
My 9 year old Sharpei was diagnosed with terminal stage leukemia, he's not walking he's not eating.
A year ago he still pulled the leash to get out and he was so strong, how could this happen so fast
>>
Hey fellas, my dog's getting restless after her surgery and the stitches seem to be healing really well so I figure I oughta take her on a light romp around the neighborhood.

Anyone have any tried and true/swear by it harness and leash recommendations? She's a German Shepard/Husky so I need something a little tough!
>>
File: IMG_20180109_1532432.jpg (1.87 MB, 4896x3672)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>>2571288
The one I posted early on in the thread is dank and cheap as fuck

My puppy is only about 17kg right now so I can't say for sure how it'd fare handling a big dog but nothing about it tells me that a GSD could break free easily
>>
so I can just give my dog raw meat from the grocery store, right?
like I don't need to cook it?

sometimes I just buy too much chicken and can never finish it before it starts to smell. But I feel like the dog wouldn't mind. They eat rotten shit all the time, dont they?
>>
>>2571318
Thank you!
Now how about a leash recommendation?
I was thinking about just getting a length of strong rope at my hardware store and tying it on the harness since I'm kinda iffy about some leashes.
>>
>>2571327
it comes with a very sturdy leash that is braided nylon reinforced with rubber

honestly on par with ruffwear imo and that shite is 40 quid whereas this one is a fiver

chinese slaves get better at manufacturing by the second
>>
>>2571325
Yes, feeding your dog rotten chicken is fine.
>>
File: IMG_20180109_1812073.jpg (1.88 MB, 4896x3672)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>2571327
pic for you
>>
Hey /an/, i have to put my dog down soon and this will be my first experience with a death in the family. How did any of you cope with losing your good boys.
>>
I have a new puppy (9 week old Aussie red heeler mix) she was used to going freely from previous owners house via dog door to go outside for bathroom. Now that I have her we live in an apartment and she is walked on a leash for like an hour but it takes incredible effort to get her to go outside of she will go at all. Any tips?
>>
File: IMG_59251.jpg (270 KB, 960x1280)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
>>2571435
Pic of pupper for reference
>>
>>2571435
I think she shouldn't be walking that much man, I think there's an "equation" that for every month your puppy has they should walk "x" amount of time
>>
I'm going to be fostering dogs soon for a nearby animal shelter. I have the choice of what dogs I can foster so long as they are unavailable for adoption. My first thought was of course pregnant bitches and bitches with litters. However I go to school full time and work part time. The issue isn't about whether I have time to care for the mom and pups, but more of if I have time to properly train/socialize the puppies, as I know that takes a ton of resources. Being that I would have them until they are 8 weeks, I will be responsible for some of the most important learning periods for the pups and I'm worried I would do a shit job due to being absent and raise unsocialized and untrained beasts. On the other hand, I know that if I foster the puppies, they will be adopted quickly regardless of their behavior whereas the adult dogs may take a long time or never get adopted and I would have simply wasted my time. I can handle adult dogs with behavioral problems and old dogs with medical issues, however I don't currently have a set up for dealing with dogs with stranger aggression and I can only administer medications 3x a day so I can't provide around the clock care. Should I risk the rearing of the pups or gamble with adopting out adults?
>>2571325
Are you planning on feeding a completely raw diet? If so, you need to do a LOT more than that, you'll have to actually research. Raw feeding is more expensive (in most cases), and much more time consuming than feeding can or kibble. Rotting foods should not be given to your dog often. It's one thing if your dog got into it and it went a little bad, but it shouldn't be a regular thing. If you want to occasionally give your dog some raw scraps, just make sure you've cleaned it and don't give it anything rotting.
>>
>>2571460
Old and adult doggos deserve some love and caring my man and honestly you seen a lot more capable of handling adult dogs than pups
>>
>>2571460
nah, this faggot gets kibble like a good boy
although I think he has problems with gluten because hes so fucking gassy and his breath is horrifying, and the vet and groomer say its not his mouth but the smell is coming from his gut
so I've been feeding him parsley and the expensive grain free food for a few days and now his breath is better

anyway I'm not going to feed them something that is revoltingly smelly and showing visible decay. Just maybe chicken a few days out of date thats a little slimy and has a questionable funk
>>
>>2571746
>parsley

Be careful. It can cause worse gas/diarrhea problems.
>>
Does my dog look unusually long?
>>
>>2571822
Another pic with better lighting
>>
>>2571245
as long as youre paying attention and not making him overexert himself he is fine
>>
>>2571829
idk take a proper picture from the side, not top down
>>
>>2571822
>>2571829
take a side picture or use a tape measure.
Eyeballing your dog right now though, at ~18" at withers and ~20" from withers to rump. Maybe a bit smaller than that but no bigger.
Also weight at ~30lbs

Looks like an average medium sized dog. From my observation he is normal sized.
>>
>>2571245
Hmm...an hour of walking straight with no breaks may be a bit much. I've heard the rule of "5 minutes per month of age, twice a day."

He is about 4 or 5 months old now, right? That would mean 20 or 25 minute walks.

To be safe, if you want to be taking him on hour-long walks, take breaks every 20 minutes for him to rest.

>>2571277
I'm so sorry, anon.

>>2571288
I really like the Ruffwear Frontrange harness. It's sturdy and durable, padded for comfort, has two attachment points (back and chest) and comes in a variety of nice colors too. Ruffwear has great stuff in general too, so check out their other harnesses as well.

>>2571325
Yes, you can feed raw chicken. But if it's rotten, best to just throw it out.

Also, if you can't eat all the chicken you buy at once, why not try freezing it? Meat keeps for a long while in the freezer and can be thawed for later use.

>>2571327
Most leashes will do fine, no need for anything fancy. Regular nylon webbing is pretty strong.

>>2571435
That's way too long to be walking such a young puppy, anon. See above, 5 minutes of walking per month of age. You need to be taking her out frequently for short periods of time, not long hour-long walks.

Every hour or two, take her outside. Walk her in a small spot, and wait until she goes to the bathroom before playing or exploring. You can either wait her out and stand out there in one spot until she goes, or you can set a time limit and come back inside and crate her, and try again after a little bit.

She is seriously cute by the way.
>>
File: IMG_20180110_1259230.jpg (1.5 MB, 2195x3662)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>2572110
how do you make a dog rest?
when he's off leash he doesn't really do anything but follow me and sniff things so I don't think he needs one

also yeah he's 19 weeks now
starting to look strong
>>
>>2572127
Well, on leash, you make him rest by pausing the walk. Sit on a bench or something and just take a break.

If he's off leash and just noodling around/sniffing, that's fine. It's sustained walking that has to be kept to a shorter amount of time.
>>
>>2572127
>>2572132
So like, if you're walking off leash and have been going consistently for about 20 minutes, just stop for a little while. He'll probably amble around and sniff stuff, or approach you to see what's up. You can just take breaks/rests like that. It's not that he has to be actually laying down or something.
>>
File: IMG_20180105_1517016.jpg (3.15 MB, 4896x3672)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
>>2572132
>>2572133
oh right
all we do is walk up the road on leash till we get to the path that leads to the park then I take him off leash, then he just walks by me and smells or chases things, it's not 'intense' at all

how do I stop him jumping on people btw? he's getting big and strong and he's very affectionate towards everyone which catches people off guard

the other day he ran full speed at a woman and jumped on her for a cuddle and he would have done some damage if he was about a month older, he's only 17kg right now but even that is enough to knock over a woman which is worrying
>>
File: 1514727188355.jpg (159 KB, 1280x720)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>it's a "dog won't SHUT THE FUCK UP for 10 hours straight" episode
>>
>>2572141
Well, it doesn't have to be "intense" walking. The thing is "sustained" walking for more than about 20 minutes. If he's walking for more than 20 minutes straight without breaks, that's too much. But if he's ambling about and you're going slow enough that he has lots of breaks to sniff things or whatever, he should be just fine!

Stopping jumping comes down to two things: management and reinforcing the right behavior that's incompatible with jumping up on people.

Management means that if you're in an environment where he could jump on random people without you being able to stop him, he should be on leash so he can't practice the behavior.

On top of that, you reward him for all four feet being on the ground when he greets someone. It's important that he doesn't get reinforced for jumping. Meaning, if he jumps on someone they don't give him attention and say hi to him! They ignore him, at most pushing him off (shoving him off hard is not necessary, just gently push him off) and turning away from him. It helps to have a helper here. Someone you can instruct how to react. Once he's doing something other than jumping (standing or sitting looking at the person,) only then does he get their attention. Treats can be used here as well. Basically just show him through food and attention rewards that keeping all his paws on the ground is what gets him the things he wants.

Another tip: When feeding him treats, look at your delivery. Make sure that when you hand him the food, all four feet are on the ground. If he sort of lifts up his front feet to get to a treat you're handing him, rearing up is getting reinforced. You want to be careful about that and only deliver the treat when all four paws are on the ground. If necessary, you could even place the treat directly on the ground.
>>
>>2572127
Even if he's getting enough physical activity he needs mental stimulation.
>>
>>2572200
we play fetch and I make him sit and lie down before every throw, every treat and every time I enter the room

working on stay atm
>>2572186
idk how to put that jumping advice into practice as he will start to run then leap on someone the second he sees a person

should I make him sit?
>>
>>2568219
I have a full blooded Rhodie. Hes really a tremendous dog. When I am consistently around him and not other dogs, I dont realize his size. When hes around other dogs he fucking towers them. He is only slightly smaller than my neighbors two euro line great danes.

They arent easy dogs to train and they literally wont listen to commands, BUT they know when they are doing the wrong thing and when they are doing the right thing. They are pretty good about being housebroken, I had mine broken by about 5 months old (had him since 10 weeks).

Let me know if you have any questions. Mine isnt some weird genetic anomaly ridgeback thats 120 lb. Hes about 80 and built strong.
>>
>>2566650

I have a husky so if nothing else, the cold is his element. He really, really likes snow.
>>
File: 20180110_123353.jpg (3.58 MB, 4032x3024)
3.58 MB
3.58 MB JPG
I have a ten week old purebred Siberian husky and I need some advice on how to eliminate a few undesirable behaviors. He's being house trained right now and it's going fine and he's getting plenty of exercise. When I'm not around my room mates take him out for walks and I walk him 6 in the morning, and at 6pm after I come back, and my room mates play and walk him out at 12. Additionally he has supervised access to the backyard, which is huge. All in all he's a great pup with an amazing personality but I do have my fair share of trouble.

One, my room mates have noted that when I'm not around (when I'm at work for 8 hours of the day) he looks around for me and whines a lot for my attention despite the fact I'm not there. I'm beginning to think separation anxiety but I'm no expert on this so don't know here to start to remedy this issue. I don't let him sleep on the bed with me though i've given him the liberty to sleep in the same room as me when he's tired. He also has a habit of jumping into and sleeping IN my bed when I'm not there. I'm not sure if this is an issue.

Two, he jumps up quite a bit! It's adorable right now but as he grows older this will be a huge issue, I'm sure. Doing personal research it seems the way to make him stop is to simply adopt an ignoring stance. I've been doing that for the past few weeks but I honestly can't seem to note a decrease in the frequency of this behavior. I suspect that my room mates and other people he socializes with approve of this action and reward him with praise. What can I do to fix this? Apart from trying to convince others to stop praising him for this behavior.

And lastly the most annoying of all issues is my dogs need to bite on my pants and growl. It's annoying and it's going to ruin my pants. I've got no clue on what to do in this area. I have noted that this is usually when he's very high in energy, usually prior to a walk or sometimes even after.

Pic related, that's the puppy. His name is Winston.
>>
>>2572290
>whining
he's young and misses you. Try crate training but I don't think his whining is a big deal at this age
>jumping
see advice someone else posted earlier on in the thread
>sleeping in your bed
if you don't want him too then don't let people let him into your bed, crate would come in handy but a dog bed will work as well

btw cuddling with a puppy is amazing and you should do it at least a few times just for the experience
>biting trousers/socks
They grow out of it. It's called sharking, just redirect him to a chewtoy when he does it but it wont stop until he's 6 months ish
>>
>>2571822
>>2571829
Alright. Got the closest thing to a side pic I could get with him. Still looks long af
>>
My dog pissed on my carpet somewhere. I know generally where she pissed (at the end of my hallway), but I can't seem to find the spot; I just smell it. What do I do to find and get rid of the smell?
>>
File: 1515669132565.jpg (105 KB, 750x1016)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>2572428
You have him at an angle, and he still looks normal.
Actually measure your dog. Look up the breed standards and compare it to that. If you've been worried for that many days just buy a tape measure and do it yourself.
>>
>>2572771
clean the whole carpet, its probably gross anyways
>>
>>2572185
train your dog retard
>>
>>2572226
>he will start to run then leap on someone the second he sees a person
If you're in public, this means keeping him on leash so he can't run up and jump on someone if you're somewhere where there might be other people.

Yes, sitting can be used because it's an incompatible behavior with jumping. i.e. he can't jump on someone if he is sitting. So yeah, you can start teaching him to default sit when he greets someone

>>2572290
Yes, sounds like he has some amount of separation anxiety. That's not too strange for a young pup. You can try to give him something to do while you're gone--stuffed frozen Kongs, for instance--for when your roommates are not actively playing with or walking him. Him sleeping in your bed or in your room is fine and has no bearing on this. If you don't mind him sleeping there, let him

As for his jumping, read >>2572186 and my addition to the anon above in this post. He's very young so keep in mind that it may take some time for him to catch on. Also, consistency is essential. If your room mates and others are reinforcing him for jumping, it will be extremely hard if not impossible for you to stop him from doing this behavior. You need to explain to him how important it is that he break this habit while he's small. Instruct them how to handle it when he jumps on them. Remind them if they need reminding. You can also work with him on your own, reinforcing good greeting behavior (four feet on the ground, sitting, etc.) with treats, attention, and praise.

For play biting of your clothing, it's pretty normal puppy behavior. That said, you can try redirecting him onto a toy appropriate to bite and chew. Also, try becoming "boring" and still when he does it--often times puppies are attracted to the movement and it gets them excited. If both of the above aren't working, you can remove yourself from the room as a sort of "time out"--when he starts biting your clothes, he stops getting to interact with you. Don't worry, he'll grow out of it!
>>
File: 1515691323511.jpg (2.39 MB, 3653x3144)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB JPG
>tfw made a friend at the park today
:3
>>
>>2569242
some woman i met on a lyft ride told me she gave her dogs CBD oil and the dog saw a lot of improvement (malamute w/ diabetes and hip issues), try talking to a vet and see what they say.

not every dog is going to react the same to it but if your vet thinks it may help, maybe it's worth testing at a smaller dose.
>>
>>2571261
normal for puppies to sleep in weird ass positions. look for other signs of bone issues or just take the dog to a vet if you suspect something is off.

especially with how the dog walks/runs
>>
>>2572290
ur shit gonna get ruined no matter what puppy you have unless u watch it constantly, just take the loss or keep your dog tethered to you
>>
We’re having a new puppy, it’s a pug mastiff mix. It’s blind in one eye due to infection and is two months old. I don’t have a current picture of him but I will have it soon.

We also have an older pit bull in the house and I’m asking if there’s anything I can do to help the puppy adapt with him. Also I’d like to know about a pugs habits, behaviors and how to keep him healthy?
>>
File: output.webm (2.9 MB, 640x360)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB WEBM
>>2573052
Kill the pitbull before it's too late.
>>
>>2573052
>Pug mastiff
what the fr*ck bro
>>
>>2573052
Before bringing the puppy into the house, have a play date in a neutral setting (not the pit bull's 'territory' or the puppy's 'territory') to get them used to each other. It may take a few visits for them to get used to each other. How does your pit behave around other dogs? If you don't know because he's never been around dogs, then I don't imagine it will go well at all. That means that in the time you've owned the dog, it would have never interacted with other dogs, and socialization is one of those things that needs exposure to pretty often. When you first get the puppy, get your pit and walk the puppy and the pit outside for a bit (not on your property at first) until your satisfied, and walk them into the house together. Now a puppy is going to be very rude, they are kids after all and need to learn how to behave in the dog world. Your pit will more than likely need to put the puppy in it's place occasionally, and this is totally natural and fine. If your puppy is nipping at the pit or jumping or whatever, it's actually beneficial for the puppy's social skills to have a dog tell it off, it teaches the puppy that the dog doesn't like something and maybe doing that thing is inappropriate and not a good way to get what it wants. However, it's when over-correction happens that it becomes a bad thing. An over corection is when your puppy nips at the pit, and the pit responds by killing your pup, biting, chasing, etc. It's called an over-correction because the correction is over-kill for the initial annoyance, and can cause fights or make your pup scared of dogs. However, if your puppy continues inappropriate behavior even after multiple warnings, your pit may be forced to chase, bite, etc. At that point it is no longer technically considered an over-correction because the previous corrections didn't work, so further measures had to be taken.
>>
>>2573052
>>2573071
Continued
It shouldn't ever get to that point though. Always remove the pup from the pit (not the other way around) when the pup is annoying the pit, even if the pit hasn't corrected the dog yet. You shouldn't be relying on your current dog to train the pup, ultimately it's your responsibility to teach the puppy what it can and can't do. On that note, never punish the pit for a correction even if it's an over-correction. The reason being is that punishing a dog for giving warnings may result in the dog not giving a warning at all next time and going right in for the bite. Also make sure that even if the pit isn't getting annoyed from the pup that it still has some alone time from it when it doesn't have to worry about the pup being up in it's shit, and try to make it part of a routine so the pit knows it will always have a guaranteed break from the puppy during that time. If possible, also try to make a place in the house that you can make puppy free, where the pit can go to and the puppy can't follow. Since you are bringing home a pup I imagine you are already aware of the idea of limiting freedom until the pup can be trusted in the house. If not, it's a very useful training tool to help with house training and training the dog with what it can and can't do in the house, and I advise you read into it before taking the pup home. Assuming you already have a plan for this, you should already have a plan for watching the puppy whenever you can and isolating the puppy whenever you cant. That being said, it should be easy for you to set up a schedule where the puppy is never left unsupervised with the pit. If you have to leave the pup, make sure it's contained where the pup can't get out and preferably where the pit can't get in. Having a solid routine will really ease tensions too. Animals understand very little about the world, so having a strong knowledge of when they are getting fed next, when they go on walks, etc is a powerful comfort to them.
>>
>>2573052
>>2573083
Never feed from the same bowls. In fact you may need to feed in separate rooms entirely. Never walk the dogs at the same time on one lead until both dogs are comfortable with each other and actually leash trained. For at least the first two weeks, keep the dog toys out of reach when the dogs are loose together, and never give them big bones or other food chews while they are together unsupervised. Never leave them alone together unsupervised. You may need to keep leashes on the dogs when they are together for the first few meetings. Try to stay calm, dogs can tell when you are tense which then in turn makes the situation more tense. Read into dog body language so you know what you are looking for, and also read into puppy fear periods so you know when to be extra cautious with your puppy. Make sure your puppy gets plenty of physical and mental stimulation so it's not always bothering your pit, and if possible get your pup into play dates with other dogs, especially dogs that may be more playful. The trick to keeping dogs from fighting is prevention; remove one dog before the fight occurs, and never leave them unsupervised.
>>
>>2573071
>>2573083
>>2573099
Thank you for this!
>>2573062
I don’t know what you mean, also getting the dog wasn’t my idea it was my mom
>>
>>2573181
They are saying a 150lb giant monstrosity bred with a 13lb no-face monstrosity is likely to create an even larger monstrosity.
>>
should i desex my aussie shepherd girl? the vet seemed kind of pushy and wanted to do it at 6 months old, all i could feel from her was "think about the mutts in shelter" instead of real reasons to get her desexed.

i just want her to live long and have a happy life, but i feel like i can't trust when people say there is no temperament change in desexed dogs.
>>
>>2573468
Do you want your dog to get a pus filled uterus and die of toxic shock? Then don’t get her spayed
>>
>>2572797
With what? I already tried just soaking most of the area with water and then drying it off with a bunch of towels, but it still smells.
>>
>>2573468
6 months is too young. Ideally, if you're going to spay her, wait until she's fully mature (i.e. at least a year old.) Those sex hormones have a lot to do with her physical and mental growth, so removing them before she's grown can cause all sorts of problems

Spaying for population control makes sense on the large scale, for dogs coming in and out (adoption) of shelters. But in the case of an individual dog and its owner, spaying for population control isn't always necessary. As long as you are a responsible owner and your lifestyle permits the ability to do proper management, this shouldn't be your main concern. Don't let the vet push you on this.

In my opinion, for maximum health benefits and minimum risk, the ideal time to spay a female dog is between her first and second heats, and after she is at least a year old

Temperament changes with neutering--if any--are negligible. So you don't need to worry about that.

What this anon >>2573535 is talking about is pyometra, an infection of the uterus. It's not uncommon and can be very sneaky and go unnoticed until it's very advanced, so it's pretty serious. Probably the biggest health benefit of spaying is removing the risk of pyometra (no uterus means no uterus infection.)

If you are interested in her keeping her hormones, but still want to have her sterilized and prevent pyometra, look into ovary sparing spay--this is where they remove the dog's uterus, but leave her ovaries. The ovaries are what produces the sex hormones, so the OSS surgery will not affect her growth or maturity in any way, and the health risks that come with traditional spay (there are some) are eliminated. A dog that has an OSS will still go into heat (because of the hormone regulation of the ovaries) but won't bleed everywhere, and cannot get pregnant.

Here is a good paper going over the risks/benefits of spay/neuter at various ages:
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf
>>
File: 11460263002.jpg (134 KB, 960x720)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>2573634
Dude, no. That is...nowhere near adequate. Get some actual carpet cleaner or enzyme cleaner, and actually clean the carpet. Water is not enough.
>>
> be me, 18 years old
>always wanted a dog but my parents don't like them
>really enjoy going on long walks through nature
>pretty depressed, barely have friends
>the few friends i have prefer playing vidya over going outside
>it's not much fun always going out alone
>sometimes walk aquaintances dogs
>way less lonely
>recently moved out to go to college
>live in a relatively big (3*6m^2) dorm in a small house in a regular neighbourhood in a small to average city
>have in income of €850 a month, €285 of which is spent on rent and €200 on college
Now here's the deal, say my landlord allows it, should i get a dog? I guess i'd have to lock it in my room when going to college were i usually spend 3 to 4 consecutive hours on average and i live very close to school so if theres anything wrong i'm only 10 minutes away from home. There's also a few parks here where i could walk it and in the weekends i sometimes go to this cabin in the middle of nature wich my family owns where a dog would feel richt in place i'd think. Besides my friends' dogs i don't have any experience with dogs whatsoever. Would i be able to manage a dog here? Also are there any other animals that one could do the same things with as dogs such as hiking and swimming ect?
>>
>>2573754
If you can afford to care for a dog financially, and have the time to make sure the dog gets proper attention, exercise, and mental stimulation, I don't see why not.

But since you're not very experienced with dogs, I would do some more research first. Look at some training videos online (kikopup is nice,) read about dog nutrition and basic care, etc. This way you'll be a little more prepared.

In the meantime, if you have any specific questions about caring for dogs, you can ask here and I'll be happy to try and help.

As for other animals you can hike and swim with...I have seen some people who have cats that go on /out/ adventures with them. But not every cat will take to that as well as a dog would.
>>
>>2573782
Allright thanks
>>
>>2566934
Dexter. Chocolate Labrador. He was such a kind hearted dog, I’m tearing up just remembering him. That dog got me through some really shitty years. I miss him so much.
>>
I love this goober, she’s my best bud
>>
>>2573793
Another photo, I love the crazy hair on her head.
>>
>>2573754
A smaller, older dog would work. My biggest concern is your financial situation. Could you afford a medical emergency?
>>
>>2573754
Think about your future and if you will be able to bring your dog with you. I've seen far too many college students have to get rid of their dog because they had to move and landlords or roommates didn't want the dog, or they had to switch university and go to a different dorm, or they simply couldn't afford shipping their dog to the new living arrangements. If you want more hands on experience you can volunteer at a shelter or rescue
>>
>>2573754
A dorm is not a good place to raise a puppy and I doubt any rescues are going to let you adopt unless you have a fenced backyard.

Try looking at older dogs through RSPCA?

Walking dogs is great.
>>
>>2572295
>>2572874

Thanks for the pointers. I have a bed for the puppy but all he does is piss on it at this point. Rarely does he sit on it for rest. I don't have an issue with him being in the same room with me and I've had him in my bed a few times but considering it's a single sized bed it's not ideal for him to get used to sleeping on the bed.

>>2573030

I'm aware it's in a Husky's nature to simply want to chew and check everything but I think it's unreasonable to not want to curb/train him out of it at least to some extent. I suppose that's the whole point of training, no?
>>
File: 1515786129422.webm (1.79 MB, 1280x720)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB WEBM
What triggered this dog to attack the puppy?
Not gore but involves biting, don't watch if you're touchy feely
>>
>>2574053
First off huskies are known to have a very high prey drive; most sled dogs do. This means that fast and sudden movements, especially from smaller animals, can trigger them to react, usually in a manner meant to kill. I don't believe there is any reason specifically why sled dogs have such a high prey drive, I think it was more that there was no reason to really breed it out of them so it stayed. If anything, a sled dog killing a roaming rat or bird just meant that that sled dog got more calories for that day.
As far as breaking down the video, it seems as though the poodle is investigating something when the husky comes up very alert (ears up and forward, tail high) behind it. The husky then takes a very aggressive and stiff stance where he stands shoulder to shoulder (or in this case, shoulder to hock) with his head bent over the poodle's back. This is an incredibly aggressive gesture, sometimes called 'sizing up'. From my experience, a dog may 'size up' and then start to play, or it can trigger a fight. I guess it depends on the situation. The poodle does something, I can't see what it does only that it moves. About a second after that the husky grabs at the head/neck area and shakes. Grabbing and shaking is a pretty primitive behavior, it's not your traditional dog fights that result in a lot of snapping and multiple bites, which leads me to believe it was less of a confrontation and more of an instinct kicking in. He wags and gets into a bow during and after the fight. Afterwards the husky quickly returns to a very calm state, tail up and slightly wagging, loose posture, gay gait. What I find funny is the other two dog's reactions. I bet the chink first thought it was the westie and pom and first because they investigated the body right after.
That's just my educated guess based on the video.
>>
Why does my dog show me his teeth while shaking his head from side to side? Is he smiling? He also does that bow thing like cats do.
>>
>>2574176
bowing thing means he wants to play
if he shows his teeth while playing tug of war it's because he's using his teeth dummy, they shake side to side to get the thing from you
>>2574053
>tfw hated huskies ever since one kept trying to bully my puppy at puppy club
lets genocide boys
>>
>>2574185
No he shows me his teeth when I come home from work.
>>
File: 2018jan.jpg (142 KB, 594x712)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
rate
>>
>>2574632
Post more of Aussie
>>
File: Leonberger-Frau.jpg (337 KB, 600x802)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
Getting a Leonberger in 2018.
>>
File: long2.jpg (58 KB, 417x360)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>2574643
>>
File: happy.jpg (194 KB, 648x864)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>2574643

she is 6 months old
>>
>>2574007
If he's peeing on the dog bed and you haven't thoroughly cleaned it, he's likely to keep doing so because it smells like urine to him.

If you don't want him to get used to sleeping on your bed as an adult, definitely don't let him form the habit as a puppy. If he jumps up to sleep with you in your bed on his own, you'll need to crate him to prevent this.

Also
>I think it's unreasonable to not want to curb/train him out of it at least to some extent
I don't think that anon was saying you shouldn't try to train him out of it. Only that it's normal puppy behavior, and if you want to be able to train him out of it, he has to be supervised or otherwise managed (tethering him to you, as he suggested, is one way) in order to prevent him from practicing bad behaviors and making a habit out of them.

>>2574192
Sounds like what's referred to as a "submissive grin." It's an appeasement gesture, and some dogs that get very excited during greetings will do it as a greeting behavior.

>>2574659
She's very cute!
>>
is sleeping under covers a breed thing?
i have a westie mix and he noses his way under the covers to stretch out and sleep next to me
i am looking at getting a bigger dog also and one that did that too would be awesome
>>
>>2574756
No clue. One of my mutts loves to, but the other mutt refuses to.
>>
File: 20180106_082715.jpg (1.06 MB, 2704x1836)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>2574756
Nah, probably not breed-related and more a personal preference thing, sorry. Though perhaps there may be a correlation between shorter-coated breeds and liking to be under the covers because they get cold easier?

My dog loves to be under a blanket. She has her own blanket and when it's cold, will ask us to tuck her in under her blanket (will paw at it and look at us.) It's very cute.
>>
>>2573853
what would the maximum cost of a medical emergency be? i could probably afford insurrance, it's not that expensive where i live
>>2573867
i don't really have my future planned out yet and i'm not even sure if i plan to stay in college so if i were to get a dog i would make my plans based on the possibility of keeping it.
>>2573875
i actually do have a fenced backyard, my room is in a normal house that was renovated to house students. It's not much of a backyard but it's something
>>
My puppy responds better when i don't use the clicker when teaching her tricks. Am I doing something wrong or do some dogs just not respond to it? I was doing click + positive reward with treats and voice but now just saying Yes in nice voice and then giving treat when she does the right thing. I guess it is still the same idea as I am marking the good behavior so its ok..
>>
>>2575328
Marker training is marker training regardless of what your choice of marker is. It can be a clicker, it can be a word of choice, a visual signal, a tactile signal, etc.

I like to use a verbal marker as it's more convenient for me. If your dog responds better to your verbal marker, go ahead and keep using it! As you say, it's the same concept. So just use whatever works best for you.
>>
File: yaEGUc1.1.jpg (56 KB, 700x902)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Ed...ward...
>>
>>2575031
>what would the maximum cost of a medical emergency be?
Several grand, if not more. If the dog ate something it shouldn’t and he developed a blockage, that could easily be $6000 if not more. So you’ll need to figure something out. It doesn’t mean you have to have $10,000 saved up to have a dog, but you do need to have a plan. This could be a line of credit ready, pet insurance, finding a vet who allows you to set up payment plans, or having someone who could lend you money.

Emergencies like this are really rare but you need a plan. You don’t want to be worrying about money after your dog ate a poisonous mushroom or something and needs emergency vet care.

You just need a plan.
>>
Animal shelter mutts worth the money if I just want someone to watch the house? I love dogs mind you and will take care of him, I'm just poor
>>
>>2575697
>watch the house
how long will you be away?
>>
>>2575706
I dunno whenever I'm out or sleeping, basically I just want a second opinion on animal shelter dogs from people other than the animal shelter people themselves
>>
File: IMG_20180114_135221.jpg (2.19 MB, 4128x3096)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
Rate my dog.
>>
File: IMG_20180114_135228.jpg (2.36 MB, 4128x3096)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
>>2575719
>>
File: IMG_20180114_135514.jpg (2.07 MB, 4128x3096)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
>>2575721
>>
File: IMG_20180114_135519.jpg (2.05 MB, 4128x3096)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>2575722
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>2574185
Bowing is not always a play bow.
>>2574176
Is he shaking his head slowly or fast? He is probably just very excited that you're home and wants attention
>>2575697
How poor we talking? Keep in mind getting any new dog should be treated like a puppy at first, don't assume it will automatically shift into a perfectly trained dog as soon as it touches your floorboards. Shelter dogs can be fine especially if you only want a companion that will deter thieves and bark at people. However they are individuals, shelter dogs aren't a breed so I can't just outright tell you that a dog you get from a shelter will be a great watchdog. Just keep in mind that even though the adoption is less, they still cost just as much as any other dog.
>>
>>2575697
>wants a mutt for a guard dog
>too poor to get a real guard dog
Are you Mexican?
>>
Thoughts on Blue heeler/queensland/Australian cattle dog? Would be a dog to take out hiking every week with me
>>
I miss my dog :(
>>
File: 20171214_153418.jpg (3.37 MB, 2992x1836)
3.37 MB
3.37 MB JPG
>>2575993
>>2575994
These dogs are very cute! Love me some black and white scruffy dogs.

>>2576320
Very active, very loyal, and incredibly smart! Great dogs for /out/ activities and adventures of all sorts. Not great for someone who can't provide for their energy needs (keep in mind this isn't just physical exercise--arguably mental stimulation is even more important.)
>>
File: 20170606090008304.jpg (2.3 MB, 2448x3264)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
He was so much cuter when he was a puppy. Now he's huge and drools on everything.
>>
>>2576628
t. pathetic vagina haver that has no business owner a dog and only bought it as a fashion accessory
>>
>>2576629
Wow buddy. First off Corso's are no where near the kinda dog anyone would get for fashion. They have a whole list of dog breeds they fucked up for that. Second, If I honestly didn't want him, I would have given him away a long time ago. Yet here am I still owning another happy dog in my life. I was just reminiscing to a while back when he was a bundle of, and not the big guy he is today. It's like looking at your kids when they're adults and remembering their childhood, but you wouldn't know anything about that casue your too busy being a virgin asswipe on /an/. Good job anon. Hope that works out for you.
>>
>>2576628
It is cute puppy. Did you end up getting his ears clipped? I know alot of people do it with this breed.
>>
File: IMG_20180101_103443.jpg (1.96 MB, 2560x1920)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
Breakfast
>>
>>2576730
>go adopt a mutt meme
>>
>>2576714
No. He only had his tail docked. We checked his ears regularly when he was a puppy and he never had any build up, so we decided against getting his ears cropped. Other than that he's healthy and fine.
>>
>>2576656
> First off Corso's are no where near the kinda dog anyone would get for fashion
Tell that to every guinea and nigger in NY. Just like pit bulls, people can get these dogs to make a statement too. It can be said for nearly any breed of dog.
>>
>>2576409
Same. My dog passed last year before what would have been her 17th birthday. She was a Beagle so she long past her life expectancy. I kept telling myself I was ready for when she was ready to go, and I was so fucking wrong.
>>2576737
Nice. I'm against getting their ears clipped but if it has to be done due to infections, I wouldn't really have a choice. All that matters at the end of the day is that they're happy and healthy.
>>
>>2576753
Geez, way to remind me of the Pit bull epidemic in nyc way back during the early 2000's. So people wanted a red nosed pit or something, and so many dogs when to shelters because of dog fighting. Everybody in the ghetto just HAD to have a tough dog. The worst.
>>
Would a wolf hybrid dog have shorter lifespan and bad hip/joints because of it's size?
>>
>>2571443
We take breaks, she just gets really restless in the apartment otherwise. The issue of going when we walk has subsided but she is really bad at being alone. Doesn't matter for how long or where at if she doesn't have someone near her she whines and howls
>>
>>2576737
Just curious, but what made you decide to dock his tail?
>>
Any recommendations for dog beds for larger dogs? I've kind of adopted my brother's/mother's Rottweiler and they shut her in the kitchen at night, the floors are tiled and it gets pretty cold in there. She's about 40kg but all the dog beds I've come across sized as XL look far too small/flimsy. If anyone has a go to brand it'd be appreciated
>>
>>2577120
Just get an area rug or give the dog a blanket to lay on. Dogs have no problem sleeping on a flat surface.
>>
>take dog to off leash enclosure in park
>he's a goofy playful bully
>all the other dogs that get taken there also tend to be the big and/or active type
>they all get pretty boisterous when playing
>get occasional people who bring their shitty toy dogs that haven't been socialised properly
>then they whinge at other owners when the properly socialised dogs try to play with their shitty toy dog and the shitty toy dog responds with aggression
Jesus christ if your dog can't handle other dogs don't bring it to an off leash area
>>
>>2577172
Honestly dude it sounds like the "properly socialized" big dogs you're talking about don't want to take no for an answer when a little dog doesn't want to play.

You know who's at fault there? The large dog and its owner. A dog rushing up to another strange dog and insisting upon playing, even when that other dog is not interested (and tries to communicate that) is rude and poorly socialized. Well-socialized =/= always wanting to play with any other dog ever
>>
>>2577180
>t. foo foo dog faggot

normal size dogs that like to play don't bite with force and just mouth things. Many small dog owners see their little dog as so ineffectual they never train it to not bite full strength which can break skin.
>>
>>2577187
I've never owned a small dog and don't particularly like them. You are correct that many small dog owners don't train their dogs because they don't take them seriously. But this isn't ALL small dogs or ALL small dog owners.

I'm just saying, a dog snapping at another dog who won't leave it alone isn't "poorly socialized," it's REACTING to poorly socialized behavior. Not wanting to play with literally every dog ever is a perfectly normal, socially well-adjusted trait for a dog to have. Bothering another dog insistently, and continuing to solicit play when the other dog has already communicated they weren't interested IS poorly socialized behavior though. Take some responsibility for your dog being a rude motherfucker. Just because a dog is "friendly" doesn't mean it isn't rude as fuck
>>
I came across a girl with a collie and she liked my Aussie pup and we were talking and i asked if her dog does any tricks. Was that rude to ask?
>>
File: reactive.jpg (39 KB, 790x167)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>2577200
>who the fuck would bring a reactive dog to a dog park
>smalldogowners.jpg
>>
>>2576728
Adorable.
>>
>>2577202
I'd say it doesn't really count as "reactive" when a dog snaps after being consistently harassed by another dog. That's normal behavior. Not reacting defensively at that point would be an indication that the dog is a pushover.
>>
>>2577201
No, that seems like a fairly normal conversational question to ask when talking to someone you just met about their dog.

Why do you think it was rude? Was she offended by it or something?
>>
>>2566119
I probably own more guns than you, murifat
>>
>>2577201
No that’s a normal dog owner question.
>>
>>2577245
This

If Dog A continues to try to get Dog B to play and B is clearly uninterested, and B snaps/growls, then B is not reactive or even aggressive. That’s normal dog behavior for “fuck off faggot I don’t wanna play with you”. If anything, as everyone continues to say, A is the poorly trained/socialized dog for failing to recognize B’s lack of interest until B had to snap or growl.

Do large dog owners believe that every dog wants to play with every dog every waking second? Do they not understand that some dogs don’t wanna play with a specific dog?
>>
>>2573053
>Hitting the dog after it has let go
Dumb fucking wiggers
>>
>>2574053
In the full video :
>Husky go near the gate and guards it against the small dogs
>After a while husky gets bored and go away
>Small dogs come investigating
>Husky goes back to small dog in dominant posture
>Instead of submitting, the small dog yaps at the husky and gets killed
>>
>>2575719
Ugly granny dog / 10
>>
>>2573053
first time I saw this handled correctly. if you make a sling with the dog leash around dogs neck and choke it, it will have to release grip at some point to breathe.

kicking/hitting it has 0 effect
>>
File: 20171223_220554.jpg (3.28 MB, 4032x3024)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
New to the board, so sorry.

Anyways, i adopted a 1 eyed pit, hook worm + (treated), and heart worm + (treating). Well this morning, there were hook worms in her poop. Apart from getting it treated again, what can i do to prevent her from getting them AGAIN. I dont need another $100 bill every month because of this.
>>
>>2577340
kill it
>>
>>2577126
>dogs have no problem sleeping on a flat surface
Big dogs do. Get your big dog at least one bed that will cushion their joints, otherwise you’ll cause problems for them down the line.

Anon who asked, I have a bed made by kong that’s held up pretty well, but I’m not worried about my dog chewing on it anymore. Not sure if that’s what you mean by “flimsy”. You can go super high-end with memory foam and things but I find that just being thick enough/with lots of stuffing does fine.
>>
>>2577340
You can’t see hookworms with the naked eye. How do you still know he has hookworms?

Yet further the general parasite protection you SHOULD be giving your dog for the heartworm medicine should ALSO be protecting the dog from hookworms.
>>
I have a two year old german shepherd/rotweiler mix with her ears down & floppy

I know I can't change that but is there any actual health risk or anything or do people worry purely about the aesthetic
>>
>>2577437
Little white flat worms in the stool. Internet pics matched with hookworms.
She had the 6 month heartworm shot, plus a 1 month pill for flea/tick/parasite prevention when we 1st got her.
>>
>>2577461
just deal with it you little faggot mexican
>>
File: bear.jpg (48 KB, 732x578)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>2577409
my newfie won't sleep anywhere but on the tile floor near the front door. cold draft+cold tile = newfie paradise
>>
File: bloodhound1.jpg (90 KB, 637x421)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
Can I have Pros and Cons about Bloodhounds?
>>
>>2577498
> pro
cool
> con
dribble all over the shop
>>
>>2577463
Did the vet give her dewormer? If so then when? That sounds more like tapeworms than hookworms.
>>
>>2577276
Wait there's more of that video circling around? Anyone have a link? I'm more curious as to what happened after the attack. Because the small dogs hover over the body when the chink arrives, I want to know if the chink assumes it's the small dogs or if he automatically suspects the Husky.

>>2573053
Holy shit the absolute cluster fuck going on here. Why is that asshole giving her the leash and then yanking it away? Is he retarded? Hitting a dog is not a good way to make it let go of something. If anything, it will let go and latch onto you. The faggot that is hitting the dog after the fucker lets go should be charged with reckless endangerment. A more aggressive dog would have easily either tried to bite him, or worse lash out on the woman holding him back. Now you're back at square one with a loose dangerous dog but this time it's mauling a person. Actually looking at it again, that guido or halfrican hits the dog while her hand is in the animal's fucking mouth. I really hope he was charged, dumb fucking guinea. Also great time to be having a chimp out when a lady is struggling to contain an aggressive and now pissed off animal. God I fucking hate cities.
Putting a leash or something to that effect is exactly what you are supposed to do if a dog has bitten something or someone and won't let go. Even supposing the dog won't let go to breath, it will eventually pass out from lack of air. My only complaint is that holding it straight up would have been better at completely blocking airways and therefor made the dog let go quicker. However since it seems to be a rather large bulldog and not a really large woman, i can't blame her for taking the easier route.
>>
>>2577498
Pros:
Pretty lazy 90% of the time
Will keep feet warm
Might have a decent temperament for tracking and baying

Cons:
Howls all the damn time, your neighbors will hate you
Separation anxiety is common, might tear shit up in a fit of panic
Stubborn, recall requires tons of proofing to keep dog from disappearing after a trail
Smells gross because of folds
Cleaning folds is gross
Prone to eye problems and various infections
Probably bred for show and is useless for hunting
Eats a ton
Will dig holes to lay in
Coat texture isn’t nice to pet
>>
Is there a way to temper a dog's hunger? My dog is always hungry a.f. and being slim and agile she always tries to steal food from the table, once I was in my grandpa house on the groundfloor, as soon as I opened a package of ham she woke up and run from the second floor hoping to get some.
>>
>>2577670
t. shitbull apologist
>>
>>2577696
Not really. Feed dog adequate amounts of food and refuse to give human food is a good start for the mooching though. Some dogs have high metabolisms. My neighbors weimaraner eats more than my newfoundland that is 3x the size.
>>
>>2577246
>>2577259

I didn't want to seem like I was flexing
>>
>>2577868
Where in that post defended shitbulls? Im honestly lost.
>>
Good jacket to put on my dog for rain/cold but easy to put on? Doesn't snow where we live but it does get a bit cold and she doesnt have much fur/fat, the problem is she hates having her feet touched from getting her leg broken as a puppy
>>
>>2577041
The tails are thick and heavy in this breed making it really easy for the dog to get injured when it wags it's tail. So it'll constantly get cut, bruised, or even broken.
>>
>>2577696
If she's in good shape and you don't want to increase her calorie content, but want to fill her up more so she doesn't feel hungry, then you can try adding green beans as filler to her meals. They will help her be less hungry but are effectively just filler, so she's not gonna get fat.

>>2577492
That's cute. And your dog is adorable. That reminds me, has anyone seen Admiral being posted recently? I haven't seen her in a long while, I miss her.

>>2577975
I don't have this one but it was recommended to me for something similar and I was thinking about getting it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ACA3PXG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_A7p8zbDWW6417?th=1
>>
File: 20180116_161949.jpg (1.47 MB, 2532x1836)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
We finally got some snow. Maple was thrilled!
>>
File: 20180116_162952.jpg (1.07 MB, 2076x1700)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>2578160
>>
>>2578160
>>2578161
Maple truly is the reigning champion of /dog/.
>>
I adopted a dog from the shelter 2.5 years ago and she has never been alone in the apartment. When we try, she barks and cries. How do I help her be comfortable home alone? She has a crate that she is fine sleeping in and she puts herself in there when she wants to be in there. But if I lock the door and she can't hear me in another room, the barking starts. If we were all gone she would probably bark and scream for hours.
>>
File: 024.jpg (511 KB, 2592x1944)
511 KB
511 KB JPG
>>2566650
My old dog used to love the snow. The doggo I have left hates it, especially now in her old age.
>try to take her out on a walk
>as soon as I let her off the leash she runs back home
>O-ok....
We got her a coat now but it's not helping much.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.