[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 83 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: download.png (2 KB, 225x225)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
Opinion on PETA?
>>
Thank fuck there's none of it in my country/10
>>
They are so over the top in their stances and actions that people are like: oh geez, we should treat animals better, but peta goes a bit too far - and thus they make supporting animal welfare seem to be the reasonable stance.
>>
>>2567542
fucking cunts
hypocrite idiots as well
>>
>>2567542
Some of their opinions, like "if you have a pet you should take care of it properly" and "you shouldn't shave a chimpanzee and test cosmetics on it" are fine. Other like "you should only adopt pets from animal shelters" are borderline silly. Others like "humans only like meat because they like the taste of blood" and "chickens have emotions" are just plain retarded.
>>
File: index.jpg (5 KB, 225x225)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>2567542
Awful, degenerate, and absolutely counterproductive. Whenever someone peditions for animals rights, those faggots either barge in, or the audiencd compares the peditioner to them. They actively hinder animal activism.
>>
>>2567542
Probably started out with good intentions but they are mostly made up of morons and animal murderers. Completely awful organization at this point.

>>2567554
PETA is straight up anti pet. Even if they play nice occasionally. They would rather steal someone's dog and euthanize it than let it live a long life with it's family.
>>
>>2567542
people who hate people and wish animals were treated better than humans, while at the same time not having any concept of where animals places are in this world, and how they should realistically be treated.
>>
>>2567542

Scam artists and hypocrites of the highest order.
>>
Not even remotely reasonable. Can sympathize with their motivation, but they take it WAYYY too far.
>>
He kills the lost boys when they get too old, and that's messed up.
>>
I can't remember what website it was but they had found that a peta group in Tennessee had put down literally 99% of the dogs they had in a short time frame and just buried them somewhere.
>>
>>2567596
>motivation
What they want is to release all domesticated animals, Anon. 95% of them can't survive in the wild without us anymore.
>>
Utterly misinformed about a great many things.
>>
Better than nothing.
Imagine having them in china that would give toplulz
>>
>>2567612
He kills the lost boys before they even have a chance to grow old.
>>
>>2567542
>essentially well meaning bunch of retards

They give a terrible name to animal rights and I wish they'd fuck off so we can finally have a rational discussion for once without them turning up and throwing goats blood over someone.
>>
>>2567554
>Other like "you should only adopt pets from animal shelters" are borderline silly.
No they are not. Breeding animals, especially """""""""""""""""purebreds""""""""""""""" for pets should be fucking illegal.
>>
I think PETA is some kind of Jew scam
>>
>>2568319
IMO if you've got young kid's then a shelter dog is a bad idea, you need a dog that can deal with trying to be ridden and having lego shoved up its bum.
>>
File: a833.gif (21 KB, 515x320)
21 KB
21 KB GIF
>>2568319

> Breeding for characteristics which include things like general behaviors is wrong.
> I'd rather have a mutt with a personality of god only knows what.

Pic related is my advice for you.
>>
File: 1514313743513.png (9 KB, 215x235)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>2568345
>i-it totally doesn't matter that my pet is laden with genetic deficiencies because muh behaviour that could be taught if I just wasn't a lazy faggot
Dogs are intelligent creatures. Human child doesn't come with good behaviour out of the box. Dogs don't either.
>>
>>2567542
>ANIMAL RIGHTS
>animals should all be free
>so we'll put down every stray we can get our hands on
>we'll also break into your backyard, steal your dog and have it dead before you can catch us
literal death cult
glad I'm not a burger
>>
>>2567542
Batshit insane organization full of hypocrites and degenerates. They are into illegal shit too. Anyone who supports them is either completely ignorant or also batshit. I don't know a single pro-animal person who likes them.
>>
>>2567542
Only care about rabbits, dogs, cats, cows and other "cute" animals. Ask an average PETAfag what they think of insects or reptiles and they would wig out.
>>
>>2568722
>They are into illegal shit too
it is sometimes ethical to do illegal shit
>>
>>2568352

>I don't believe in biological differences between breeds.

Do you not believe in humans having different predispositions based on race either? Because if so, then /pol/ and /sci/ politely ask to have a word with you.
>>
File: 1515267475226.jpg (55 KB, 777x777)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>2568844
>believing that skin color is a factor in behavioral upbringing
>quoting /pol/eddit as an authority on anything
Could you please fuck off to whatever subreddit shithole you crawled from?
>>
>>2568853

> thinking that everybody is equally predisposed to athletic and general intelligence across every race.

Yeah, that short Asian guy can totally be in the NBA. Do you even know what likelihoods and statistical averages are?
>>
>>2568859
What the fuck do physical dimensions of your body have to do with behaviour you dumb over-extending cunt?
There are healthy mutts that are big and healthy mutts that are small.
>>
>>2568868

> impulsivity
> long term planning
> time taken to learn and master new concepts
> chances of contracting mental illness

Yeah, those behaviors can't possibly have anything to do with differences in general intelligence or genetics. No, that would be crazy. I mean it's not as if medical practitioners ask about chronic problems that have cropped up in other people you're related to. Oh wait, they all do that.
>>
>>2567560
>PETA is straight up anti pet.

Friend of mine goes to pet store with PETA t-shirt. Employees watch him as if he is going to trash the place or something. Walks up to the register with a bag of dog food. Small print on t-shirt says "People Eating Tasty Animals".

Everyone laughs.
>>
>>2568344
a shelter is a great place to get a dog if you have young children
even a half decent one will have a behaviorist on staff, who will be able to weed out problem animals much more accurately than some stupid byb or """"""""""reputable"""""""""" conformation breeder
>>
>>2568159

Incorrect. They believe domestic animals shouldn't exist and want them to be eradicated. Not the same as wanting to release them.
>>
Their message is completely repulsive to normal people.
They tried to hold a sustained protest and misinformation campaign outside my highschool. So we shot a bunch of starlings, crows, squirrels and dumped it all around their protesting corner.
>>
>>2568175
They'd all be locked up in labor camps or mysteriously "disappeared". Chinese government doesn't fuck around.
>>
>>2569049
Uhhhhh... The fuck?
>>
>>2569092
Our friends family owned a farm where the aforementioned animals could be erraticated as pests
>>
>>2567542
Hypocrits who rely on blatant misinformation.
>>
>>2567542
>M-Muh animal rights
>"How dare you eat meat like the omnivore you are you piece of shit"
>Steals your outdoor dogs and cats and culls them
>Dumps the corpses from their killshelters in the garbage as if it was just expired food

Pretty shitty
>>
>>2568844
>/pol/

Fuck off back to your shithole
>>
>>2568859
Wow.. Reading comprehension low. Critical thinking low. Who said anything about physicality?
>>
>>2568876
Huh.. You really arrnt making any sense. But to clarify your terrible argument, all those things you mentioned have nothing to do with race, but sample of populations, or 'clusters' if you are an academic in this thing.

As we are talking about dogs, but people... Which even thrn your analogies and parallels are pretty retarded.... Then no, shelter dogs are not genetically pre disposed to be more violet. What about all the breeder dogs that get given up? They come from somewhere m8
>>
>>2569193
>shelter dogs are not genetically pre disposed to be more violet
Kek
>>
>>2568844
>/pol/
No.

The only difference between races is literally just because of the sun. Black people are less prone to sunburn and other shit because they mostly live/lived in very sunny places, while white people can produce vitamin D more easily because they live/lived in places with less sun.

There you go. The more you know. Fuck off.
>>
File: 1393997430743.jpg (28 KB, 413x395)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>2569049
>>2569114
Fucking excellent, well done
>>
>>2567542
The tiny sliver of actually sensible animal rights activism within the association is dwarfed by their laughably retarded policies and the vast majority of their members being absolute nutjobs.
>>
>>2568327
>implying jews care about reptiles, amphibians, and carnivores
>>
>>2569196
There's actually a major IQ difference as well mate
>>
>>2569340
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuLVv56YGXQ
>>
>>2569196
There is also an IQ difference too because people who didn't live near the equator had to plan ahead and stock for winter and the dummies who didn't died out, while people who did live near the equator didn't.
>>
Pricks Euthanizing Thousands of Animals.
>>
they have a noble core goal but go about it in the most fucktarded way possible. almost to the point where it seems like a massive falseflag operation
>>
They are fucktards
>>
File: double brainlet.png (100 KB, 600x704)
100 KB
100 KB PNG
>>2568740
>>
>>2568853
NATURE vs nurture you cocksucking cuck
>>
>>2568740
>sometimes
you wot mate

legality and illegality are COMPLETELY uncorrelated to morality of an action. anyone who disagrees is an obvious 12year old
>>
File: 7ef.jpg (29 KB, 600x600)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
The genetic difference between human ethnicities and dog breeds is not comparable because we have heavily bred dogs to our selective wishes from a small pool of genetic material whereas humans have a much larger population of freely interbreeding individuals that aren't subject to heavy selection regarding their behaviour and physical conformation.
Variation between different purebred dogs is extreme because they are reproductively isolated while the individuals of a breed themselves are genetically very similar to each other because of inbreeding.
Meanwhile there is a much larger genetic variety in human populations because of our sheer numbers and genes can flow freely between them, except for rare cases of isolated indigenous tribes.

If you have a purebred dog then it'd be easy to predict that he'll be genetically very similar to a dog from the same breed. Humans are genetically more unpredictable because of the gigantic gene pool.

If we were like dogs then you'd be meeting giant 2m wooly people and tiny half meter skinny people. The variation between different kinds of people would be more comparable to the difference between different types of canis lupus minus dogs but probably less so because we can travel over mountains and seas and they can't.
>>
They stopped the flow of animal testing, essentially crippling the development of anything that could prove to be useful from experimenting on monkeys and shit.
>>
>>2572231
Pretty much this. Also, natural populations vary much less wildly because of selection pressure to survive by using their primary method(s) of survival. It's disadvantageous for an animal to adapt to something new unless selection pressure is forcing the issue enough for it to be disadvantageous to stay as they are.

Take penguins. They evolved to become very good at swimming, but it took a lot of time and evolution for them to adapt from air to water, with a lot of awkward transition between where they're both not good at flying and not good at swimming. It was their environment that forced the change, though, and they would not have made so drastic a change with intense selective pressure. This is an extreme example, but take dogs that have been bred for extremes of ability, such as burrowing or speed or size or strength.

The fact that we take care of dogs to increase survival rate and also deliberately select to modify their anatomy and behavior makes the process of changing shape/size/function not only faster but safer for the animals involved. This allows a much greater variety than could readily be achieved in the wild. We are taking what is normally a slow and awkward and dangerous process and streamlining it for maximum efficiency.
>>
>>2572320
*without intense selective pressure
>>
>>2572320
We also have created plenty of breeds that are well adapted for our personal needs but would never be able to survive in the wild. We're not selecting for maximum survivability, but instead for maximum compatibility with our various needs. The selection parameters and desired qualities are completely different. When dogs are feral and allowed to interbreed freely, while also being re-exposed to more natural survival conditions, they start to redevelop a more standard body type that is much more similar to their wolf ancestors than the many extremes of dogs we can find today. Take a look at the feral dogs of India and see how they are already much more homogeneous in size and appearance. They're averaging out.
>>
File: EvolutionVsID.jpg (97 KB, 579x820)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>2572320
>not only faster but safer for the animals involved.

I'm not so sure about that. Lots of specialized breeds have some pretty serious health problems.
>>
PETA is very dangerous because they have money on their side, which buys lawyers. At every single breed ban legislation I had to be a part of, some lawyer and sometimes officials to represent PETA were always there. They want BSL to pass because they understand the slippery slope theory and will be able to expand the ban until it bans all dogs. They don't even hide it, you can go to their website and they will even say they want all dogs banned. Most of the world hates them, but they have enough Jews in their corner to make money and be a large influence. Don't get me wrong, they have done some good stuff before like with improving slaughter house regulations and changing animal testing laws. The issue is their goals are extreme just like their views.
>>2567554
There stance is actually more like 'you shouldn't enslave pets at all'. They don't condone buying from a breeder, but they also don't condone shelters either, they don't want you to be buying ANY animal. That stuff you're talking about is what is on the surface before you actually find out what PETA stands for. I like to call it PETAlite
>>2567794
While I don't condone PETA I do know that many of their shelters take in ANYTHING free of charge, regardless of how sick or aggressive it is. Because of this they mostly get people who have been turned down everywhere else because their animal is unadoptable or people who are too cheap or too pussy to euthanize their pets. Basically it's a way to give people false hope.
>>2568159
This is untrue, they want there to be no domestic animals at all. They believe that death is more humane than being owned, and they actually understand that domestic animals have no place in the wild (they actively support the culling of feral/stray cats). However, they also believe that domestic animals have no place on this planet.
>>
>>2567557
Degeneracy is Facebook, with each passing year, causing permanenet damage to our reading habits. Degeneracy is not the machinations of society which create methods of living within our means.
>>
>>2567612
where have u been rfg
>>
>>2569196
Actually it's been proven that black males on average produce more testosterone than white males on average. Difference on race is not skin deep, but it's also not as much as /pol/ would have you believe.
>>
>>2569347
Makes sense! Like how the South is full of retarded inbred sister fuckers who descended from the Confederates who just wanted to be able to say nigger and enslave people, and the North consists of blue states who see the merit of all people and are also proven to have better IQ than a racist dweeb on the internet. Like me and you.
>>
>>2574597
Hey, north is way colder than the south so I guess it makes sense
>>
>>2567542
They sound like a mix of people from the intelligent and genuine to morons and scam artists. It's most likely run by hair brained ultra rich glue sniffers and the Tom cruises of the world worried about alien karma.

But at least they do some good here and there. I saw some videos where they were showing cow slaughter machines that were not in fact killing the cattle quickly as the law intended, but over half an hour or more. They also brin\ awareness to people who slowly kill other animals while they are alive.

So in my opinion they are serving some purpose. I probably wouldn't give any money to them personally, but some of them at least do care about fairness or compassion to animals. Any
One cruel or torturing an animal should be tossed in a meat grinder and used as fertilezer.
>>
>>2574382
Safer as in they don't get ripped to bits by a falcon or some shit, and have a steady food source, water, and medical attention. Apply yourself, dingus.
>>
>>2568344
I grew up with 3 to 4 street dogs living with me from the moment I was born.
Just learn to control your kids/dogs
>>
>>2569049
wow, somehow you managed to make them look less insane in taht instance
>>
>>2567542
Respect. They do some decent work, it's the radical nutjobs that tarnish their image.
>>
>>2574993
PETA only has radical nutjobs among its members and staff, though.
>>
>>2568844
>/pol/

Opinion instantly disregarded
>>
>>2569196
>ignoring differences in skull shapes, bone structure, hormone balance and iq
>>
>>2575505
>skull shape

Regional variation, seen in a lot of other animals, means fuck all

The rest is non-existent bullshit. Go back to your comfy little circlejerk in /pol/
>>
This thread is officially a SOYKEK NIGGER FAGGOT haven.. Post pictures of your nose now. We'll prove that there's a little thing called geneteic indifferentian.
>>
>>2575523
>goes to board full of biologyfags

>spouts some bollocks about something they clealy know nothing about

>gets mad when told is wrong

Sorry there's no one here to give you a handjob for being an uneducated fuckwit
>>
>>2567554
>chickens have emotions
Iwas with you till that. They certainly have emotions and are on par with dogs in sentience.

But yeah, I think they're fucking retarded and I try to eat meat at least once a week and dairy/poultry daily because of them.
>>
>>2568344

> if you've got young kid's then a shelter dog is a bad idea,

THIS

>retards and normies ITT don't realize a well bred purebred is healthier and more consistent than a mix
>they don't realize that mutts and mixes from poorly bred purebreds are worse health than a well-bred purebred
>they don't realize that a random mutt has unknown lineage and is by that definition unpredictable in temperament etc

>>2568352
Only poorly bred BYB-tier purebreds are less healthy than mutts. A well-bred purebred is significantly healthier and more predictable than a mutt or poorly bred dog.
>>
>>2575616
>But yeah, I think they're fucking retarded and I try to eat meat at least once a week and dairy/poultry daily because of them.

This is my main issue with groups like PETA and other hardline animal activists. They actively create a backlash through being irrational and overly aggressive. It actually prevents anyone from having any genuine discussion on the matter, because their actions overshadow anyone trying to get across a reasonable opinion.
>>
PETA is the equivalent of religious extremism when it comes to animal welfare.

They're an illegitimate animal welfare organization and has been reported to steal and kill household pets (souless fuckstains). Because of this, these fuckers make legitimate animal welfare activists look bad in the process. Ask any sane organization and they will tell you that owning a pet is totally fine.
>>
>>2575541
Post your fucking nose Jew.
>>
>>
File: 20160106_161130.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
>>2575759
>>
>>2575759
>things that have L I T E R A L L Y never happened
>>
>>2575759
i know a farmer who thought someone was sadistically skinning her sheep but then we saw one of her horses out in the field pick one up and toss it around, tearing off most of it's skin
>>
>>2575775

Horses are hardcore
>>
>>2568844
>/pol/
Great, that redditor shithole is leaking again. I used to defend the place, but that was back in 2015. /qa/ was right, we should delete it.
>>
>>2575759
I didn't know PewDiePie was a PETAfag
>>
>>2575812
Shut the fuck up. You need to go back to your shit hole. They're to stay - we pull the most traffic and for good reason. Instead of this wankery.
>>
>>2575617
>implying parents will drop a grand on a dog for their kids that will tire of it in 2 weeks
>implying said parents wouldn't instead go get a dalmatian from that guy on craigslist
While I would much prefer parents get well bred dogs of breeds known to handle kids well, the vast majority are getting BYB or puppy mill dogs. I'd rather see parents get adult dogs from shelters who put all their dogs through a behavior assessment before getting a poorly bred puppy
>>
>>2575819
>we pull the most traffic and for good reason
>implying anyone but (((gookmoot))) actually wants the traffic of redditors
>>
I remember they hyped up their porn site for months, and when it came out it was just cows being butchered. Cunts.
>>
>>2576009
Sounds like the poor soyboy needs to get cucked again, you're too ornery. Pol isn't Reddit you nigger
>>
File: 1508170220916.png (307 KB, 1354x934)
307 KB
307 KB PNG
>>2576021
>Pol isn't Reddit you nigger
>>
>>2575759
I mean, I'm no expert on sheep shearing, but isn't it completely harmless to the sheep? I thought they actually feel better to get it cut off in summer and shit.
>>
>>2576011
>hyped up their porn site
what?
>>
>>2576135
Have you never heard of lambskin?
>>
File: 1435097313198.jpg (15 KB, 232x224)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>2576806
anon, how many times do you think sheep are sheared in their lives?
How do you think lambskin is made?
>>
>>2576803
I Think anon means when they had a anti furcoat campaign of naked celebrities wrapped in nothing but animal furs

Pamela Anderson did one
>>
>>2567542
literally kill the animals they save
>>
>>2572311
Yeah they did that in the UK as as splinter group, ends up releasing Minks into the UK that are now an invasive species ruining our already fucked biodiversity.
I have a lot of respect for environmental and animals rights activist groups but they should have no authority whatsoever or act as vigilantes, they know too little to not be a major hazard.
>>
Opinion on PETA? They're members taste delicious and make for great coats & rugs.
>>
File: notanugget.jpg (70 KB, 564x564)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>age 12
>friend shows me peta propaganda
>turned veg
>join peta street-team online
>hundreds of stickers arrive in mail
>cover everything in them
>less peta, more ELF/ALF-type propaganda
>was vegan at 16-26

Yeah, PETA is a lame organization that does more harm than good and their propaganda is a total joke. but it did help me when I was impressionable to begin thinking about the importance of my diet, and ultimately led me to a healthier lifestyle.
I still don't consume factory farmed meat here in the US. Even though I respect the fact that we industrialized this industry in order for the US to have an abundance of food after WWII, I just don't like the idea of cheaply fed/produced animals. Sure, I would consume meat from hunted game, if I knew someone whose hobby it was, but I don't.
>>
>>2576809
Sheep are sheared roughly 10-20 times in their lives. Lamb skin is made by proteins in the DNA being 'decoded' and telling certain cells to become skin cells. Lambskin as in for lambskin coat or gloves, is harvested like any other animal hide, and can only be harvested once from a lamb.
>>
>>2567554
>Other like "you should only adopt pets from animal shelters" are borderline silly.
To be fair, breeding animals end up causing a bad place for said animal if they never get bought. You should totally adopt pets from shelters and give them another life, they can't be allowed to run around free in neighborhoods and shit unattended and letting them rot in a shelter because their original owner abandoned them is lame. Most of the animals are rad, but people are dicks and just leave them to their own because "fuck it, I'm too lazy to care for them. Not my problem."

I've seen cases where people just fucking move and just leave their animals in the home without another word. It's totally fucked up. I would advocate shelter adoption over buying an animal.
>>
Who here fapped to their nude ads?
>>
>>2567547
Which country? Find that hard to believe
>>
>>2569339
I'm pretty sure they care a lot about the well-beeing of reptiles
>>
Didn't thought much about them until I read this story and how they ruined that guy's life over something so. silly.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/monkey-selfie-david-slater-photographer-peta-copyright-image-camera-wildlife-personalities-macaques-a7941806.html

They look like extremists.
>>
>>2578525
>They look like extremists.
They ARE extremists.
>>
File: 1510871379111.png (35 KB, 408x450)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>2569186
>"I am emotionally underdeveloped and cannot handle factual information like an adult."
The post.
>>
We need to convince them blacks are animals so they inevitably ruin them too
>>
Haven't heard of them in years. I kinda miss their little parodies they would do that would cause the internet to shit on them for a week or two.
>>
>>2568319
Got no issue with someone wanting a purebred. Its byb's and show breeders that are the problem. Byb's end up with sick inbreds through constant breeding of whatever they have to hand, show breeders end up with sick inbreds through breeding close relatives in order to accentuate characteristics, to the point the animals are fucked up mutants. Your avarage hobby breeder usually actually really cares about the health if their animals, they don't make any profit on them, so their focus is usually to breed quality animals and send them off to good homes. If more breeders were like this we wouldn't see half the problems we do.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.