[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: FOWLR.png (347 KB, 790x338)
347 KB
347 KB PNG
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.
Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.
Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:

-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
Tank Cycling:
https://www.petcha.com/freshwater-aquarium-cycling/
https://www.petcha.com/fishless-aquarium-cycling-method/
Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/

STRAW POLLS:
>saltwater or freshwater?
http://www.strawpoll.me/14804645
>should /an/cord link be put back in OP?
http://www.strawpoll.me/14804655
>how long have you been keeping fish?
http://www.strawpoll.me/14804681

previous:
>>2569894
>>
File: minimum size.webm (2.78 MB, 520x360)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
first for bowls a shit
>>
File: succ.jpg (86 KB, 800x501)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
second for succ
>>
File: succ.jpg (95 KB, 877x658)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>2573455
oops wrong succ
>>
we definitely need a Chad Cardinal Tetra vs the Virgin Neon
>>
File: fish meme.png (384 KB, 1488x1488)
384 KB
384 KB PNG
>>2573461
I got you
>>
File: virginbucketcarrier.png (463 KB, 2518x1024)
463 KB
463 KB PNG
>>
>>2573447
>Overstocked tank with no habitat and expensive fish spammed
A rich person built this.
>>
>>2573518
It's tough to estimate the size on that thing. Those are all fairly large fish, that tank might be anything from 300-800 gallons. I don't know that it's overstocked. Especially since those sorts of tanks are usually plumbed into a sump that holds close to 1000g.

but yes, I'd guess we're looking at well over $10k just for the fish. No idea what the tank and filtration cost, but I'd guess that's at least another $10 grand. I don't know if that makes the owner "rich" though. That's roughly the cost of the cheapest new car a person can buy. You could probably get that tank for less than most people spend remodeling their bathroom.
>>
>>2573525
Even if those fish are full grown that is a trash set-up and INSANELY over-stocked.
>>
>>2573528
nah, there's no way they're full grown. I've seen French angels over 3 feet tall, and that passer angel in the back gets a couple feet long as well. The queen looks like a young adult, it'll probably double in size and grow foot-long streamers.

Water quality-wise it probably isn't overstocked. Impossible to say what the sump holds, but I'd guess there's more than enough volume for those fish.

you could argue that they're too crowded to be comfortable, but nobody that keeps angels and butterflies will agree with that. They are usually solitary in the wild, or at most travel in pairs. But in captivity giving them too much room causes them to establish territories and eat each other. We get around that by crowding lots of them in together. It actually makes them much more peaceful.

whether or not that's humane is a matter of opinion, but let's be honest- these fish are used to having miles of ocean to roam in, there's no tank in the world that's going to give them the amount of room they're used to. The same goes for almost every fish we keep, whether it's freshwater or salt.

tl;dr: tank's not overstocked.
>>
>>2573531
>nah, there's no way they're full grown.
You realize that's WORSE, right? And I meant the majority of them. Obviously French are huge motherfuckers.

>Water quality-wise it probably isn't overstocked.
>Rich people thinking
I DO NOT GIVE A SHIT about how many fish you think you can stuff in a tank before they drown in their own piss. They're fucking animals and they need fucking room to live normal lives.
>>
>>2573531
>here's no tank in the world that's going to give them the amount of room they're used to
Then they shouldn't be kept. Why in the fuck can humans not learn the word "NO"?
>>
>>2573536
>They're fucking animals and they need fucking room to live normal lives.
sure, but that means you're definitely in the wrong hobby.

there's no fish that I know of that can live a normal life in a home aquarium. All of the fish we keep are used to having more than a couple feet of water to swim in. Most of them have miles of water in the wild.
>>
>>2573538
>Then they shouldn't be kept.
yes, again, you're in the wrong hobby.
or at least the wrong thread.
>>
>>2573539
>sure, but that means you're definitely in the wrong hobby.
>>2573540
This is why I favor a ban of the pet trade. Humans were such an ungodly mistake. And you can keep all kinds of animals in the same marine aquarium. You just have to be smarter than they are and stop this "Spam as many of the largest, most territorial fish I can". It looks like a fucking stock tank.
>>
>>2573544
>You just have to be smarter than they are and stop this "Spam as many of the largest, most territorial fish I can". It looks like a fucking stock tank.
one more time for emphasis-
we do that on purpose
because if you put any 2 of those fish in the same tank they'll kill each other. But if you put 20 in they don't.

I realize you don't like the look of the thing, personally I wouldn't build it like that either, but I doubt the owner really cares what you and I think of it. We make our tanks to our own tastes.
>>
>>2573548
>we do that on purpose
Yes, I know rich brainlet. And I knew why probably before you were born. But for the LAST TIME: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FILL A TANK TO MAX WITH LARGE, AGGRESSIVE FISH. Did you catch it that time?

>because if you put any 2 of those fish in the same tank they'll kill each other.
Then don't do that. Amazing!

>I wouldn't build it like that either, but I doubt the owner really cares what you and I think of it.
This isn't about him, you fucking selfish prick. Again. Time to ban the pet trade.
>>
>>2573550
>But for the LAST TIME: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FILL A TANK TO MAX WITH LARGE, AGGRESSIVE FISH. Did you catch it that time?
well if your options are either that full tank with lots of movement and color or a single angelfish all by itself in a 400g tank, anyone is going to go for the full tank.

the other option is to simply not keep the most beautiful fish available, which you have every right to do. I assume you're doing your part right now by not keeping marine angels and butterflies. I doubt you're going to stop anyone else from doing it though.
>I knew why probably before you were born.
I've got kids older than you.
>>
jfc you guys i just tried to find a nice op pic for the thread that wasn't freshwater i didnt know it was going to bunch up panties like it did
>>
>>2573554
lol
I like it. Like the other anon says it's lacking in scape but I think the fish are spectacular. I've kept a few of those before, they're gorgeous.
>>
Just got back from Petco with a new 29 gallon tank. Very excited to put it up but it's going to be a huge pain in the ass. First I got to get it out of my car and leak test it. The spot I'm going to put it in is current occupied by a 10 gallon. I've only upgraded 1 tank in the past and it took me several hours.
>>
File: 65722784.jpg (54 KB, 991x902)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>2573554
It's just 1 retarded anon trying to troll.

>>2573550
Sometimes the best way to keep aggressive fish is to crowd them a bit, this dilutes the aggression and makes sure nobody is the sole target.

However, you are obviously just baiting this nice aquarium general thread with your ban the pet trade bullshit, nice try troll.
>>
>>2573447
what's wrong with /an/cord? the server is helpful and comfy.
>>
Just set up my 66 gallon tank yesterday, and put live rock in today. It’s gonna be an SPS dominated tank, so I have a filter that’s rated for 150 gallons +. Any opinions on what other corals I should put in other than the standard SPS corals? I know the water is cloudy, sand was put in today as well
>>
>>2573569
Personally I'm fond of frogspawn and bubble corals, but I don't know how that would fit with your SPS regimen.
>>
>>2573572
I could most likely put in frogspawn, and I was planning on doing it. By bubble corals do you mean bubble tipped anemones?
>>
>>2573568
invert anon that uses /aq/, there isn't anything wrong with it. There's an private /aq/ splinter server run by people that hate the current owner that also shitpost in the thread heavily. They're butthurt the new server still exists with the same owner, but they can't really do anything because their own server is dead af anyway.
>>
>>2573568
everything you just said is a lie
im not sure what others have experienced, but i have literally never gotten any help from any of the questions i have ever asked, even outside of the aquatics channel
>>
File: Plerogyra sinuosa.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>2573574
>By bubble corals do you mean bubble tipped anemones?
nah, it's another LPS. Usually white, looks like a bunch of white bubbles.
>>
>>2573577
>an opinion is a lie
>>
>>2573583
there is relative truth and absolute truth
>>
>>2573584
i've gotten plenty of help before in the server. i don't care about getting @everyone'd daily but to say it doesn't help anyone is in itself a lie.
>>
>>2573589
well maybe i just asked shitty questions
>>
>>2573558
For me setting up a new tank is the best part. I'm jealous.
>>
>>2573605
This will be the 4th tank I've ever set up, probably wont look the greatest but we will see.
>>
>>2573493
I literally use that fucking home depot bucket. I walked around the store thinking I could find another one, expecting there to be many varieties of buckets, but I didn't want to ask anyone where the bucket section was.
>>
>>2573608
>pro-tip: use their website to find the exact location of the item you want so you don't have to talk to anyone
>>
File: Capture16.jpg (37 KB, 779x172)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>2573608
Perhaps it's time you got tested.
>>
>>2573610
>I HAVE MY BUCKET IM GOOD THANK YOU
I walked around at my slovenly pace in a haze of memories of playing the battle tower in pokemon emerald as my father would scramble the store looking for every integral piece of a tree house that would never be built
>>
>>2573615
You should check out Vibrio. Way more fun, a flesh eating bacterium commonly found in saltwater tanks. Often fatal.
>>
>>2573615
Well that's good to know because I have a cut on every finger on every hand thanks to my job. I don't actually ever get my hands wet unless I'm aquascaping or vacuuming though.
>>
>>2573617
good thing im a plantedfag

>>2573618
its really a non issue, it is found in stagnant water. Unless you are running a legit walstad without a filter it shouldn't affect you.
>>
On the new tank that I'm setting up, should I use a syringe and suck out some water from under the gravel of the old aquarium and inject it underneath the new gravel? Or should I just toss a handful or so under the bed of the new gravel?
>>
>>2573665
put the old gravel where it will get water flow, the bacteria might suffocate at the bottom. Do you have a filter pad from the old aquarium? I usually rub the old and new filter pads together to transfer bacteria
>>
>>2573677
I had two sponge filters in the 10 gallon. I have two HOB that I don't use though, forget the types and ratings, I think one is rated for up to 20 and one is rated for up to 55. So as far as flow goes, not much right now.
>>
>>2573665
It doesn't matter since you don't have ammonia or nitrite in your tank so any bacteria you add will just die.
>>
>>2573684
There are going to be fish in there though.
>>
>>2573686
good, you'll have ammonia
that means only half of the bacteria will die.
>>
Is it fine to cross breed betta types? Like a crowntail with plakat?
>>
>>2573694
Thanks for your input Sally.
>>
File: Phone booth orgy.jpg (851 KB, 3264x2448)
851 KB
851 KB JPG
>>2573633
Nub here.
As I said in previous thread I'll try to nut out my disco light show as best as possible.

I'm trying to build the most diverse lighting hood I think ever just because fuck it. I want the best for my fish and plants. This will involve a East-to-West zero to mid gradient "sunrise" phase; a general mid to high to mid "daylight" phase; a custom spectrum West-to-East mid to zero gradient "sunset" phase; a minimal starlight phase which gradients according to the moon cycle.

I've stuck with a popular controller instead of a custom micro controller like a pi nano ect because of the plants being dependent on photo period. Worst case scenario with the planned setup is they experience a dark day because one of the four controllers dies.

For the cells I'm using 6 different mass manufactured strip LEDs from chinese suppliers ranging through 4 colors, 2 whites, and blacklight UV.

The more I type the more I notice this probably belongs on /DIY/ but I think there's a lot more knowledge of what I might screw up here. I am new to plants and fish in aquariums, but pretty damn solid on constructing a custom light cabinet and programming the controllers.

TLDR: Newb building a planted aq refuses to pay $1000 for a basic programmable light setup and goes silly with the possibilities of a $1000 DIY discoball setup.
>>
File: 1490736553187.jpg (64 KB, 960x720)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>2573716
>I want the best for my fish and plants.
>goldfish crammed into a tank that's too small for even one
>>
File: Go Forth.jpg (9 KB, 480x343)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>2573718
You didn't read the linked thread, I'll try to help with that:

Here is the thread where I explain what I'm trying to do. Sorry if my 4chan syntax was incorrect.

>>2573633
>>
Fish transfer was successful.
I am sad to report 1 casualty: a lone ghost shrimp who decided to jump and was not able to be recovered.
Note to self: use a bucket not a bowl
I will be closely monitoring the water parameters in the upcoming days and weeks.
Fish seem happy as do the snails.
And it only took me 6 hours.
>>
File: DaChef.jpg (45 KB, 550x550)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>2573726
Transfer from what/where? We need details man!!!
>>
>>2573729
I had a shitty 10 gallon aquarium for a few months and I upgraded to a 27 gallon. I'm pretty happy about it. Pic incoming soon as my phone gets a good enough charge.
>>
File: Studio 54 innabox.jpg (145 KB, 762x911)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>2573716
These are the goodies that go into it. I realise the original post makes it sound like I have 7 spectrum of light, sorry I don't. It's balanced rgb strips, cool white, soft white, and some optional ultraviolet.

The plan is to have an overlapping staging of 0-50% and back of the day phase but have another 2 controllers bringing in and out the sunrise and sunset phases 1 set of cells at a time. These morning and night cells will be in a separate reflective enclosure at either end of the tank. Cells in these two enclosures will start at extreme horizontal and grow to diffused but still extremely localized emission points.

I want some sun rays through the plants in the morning and some beautiful sunsets at dinner time.
>>
>>2573732
All in all, how much is it going to cost you to build your light?
>>
>>2573733
I can't say "no idea" but that's how it's going so far. All up so far with the electronics I'm at about $190 AUD, all from factory direct suppliers. I'll build a prototype out of expanded plastic and al-foil to get the proper dimensions ect and then I'm not sure, but leaning towards fiberglass or maybe prefab plastic sheet for the finished product? If I go silly making prototypes and even get a custom chrome reflector setup it will never cost $1000.
>>
>>2573735
Do lights really cost that much in Australia? I can get something similar to what you are building for less than $200 here in the US. Although, it is not as customizable as what you are designing, but still RGB. I like the sound of the sun rays and sunset in your design.
>>
File: Da Funk.jpg (135 KB, 528x487)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>2573737
As soon as you go programmable it gets silly, and I really didn't want to trust a mechanical hardware store timer. I regularly work away from home and the chance of coming back to a graveyard terrifies me.

This is the led section of the best supplier I can find here, both service and price.
http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&category=&catname=All+Categories&keyword=led
Put together any real controller for $200 and a lamp for the size of tank I have for $200 and you're already in the ballpark of what I'm building without any custom colors, or walk away and forget programmability.

The tank is a bit of an oddball length, and although I could get away with a lot of lighting solutions I wanted something I had complete control over. I have grown non-aquatic plants before with artificial light, I just want to try to take what I know into this as apposed to trusting a "one sized fits all" system. I'm not tailoring the spectrum specifically to any plant at this point, quite the opposite. This (so far) is designed to run at about 50% output (give or take for each color)) for several reasons. At full output I should be able to overload anything living in the talk with every usable spectrum of light, but that will never be the goal.
>>
Holy fucking shit check out this queers over stocked aqaurium. everyone of his videos fish disapear and he adds new ones
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjajIa7knrk4l_a2QfWF2QA/videos?disable_polymer=1
>>
File: ChadvVirgin.png (723 KB, 2794x1228)
723 KB
723 KB PNG
fresh OC
>>
>>2573916
For a second thought patronize as the "don't patronize me" meaning, and imagined him just going to fish stores and berating them for their inferiority.
>>
20 long

3 female, 2 male guppies
6 fry (~1 month old)
3 snails
>>
>>2574049
u gotta fertilize them plants

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Osmocote-Plus-Root-Tabs-Aquarium-Plant-Fertilizer-EXTRA-10-TABS-FREE/281746744643?epid=710178172&hash=item41996a2543:g:eCYAAOSwKIpWBrWA
>>
>>2574052
i have root tabs already, didn't think i would need it for them, but ill add them in anyway,

the gravel is a mix of 3 different substrates from other established tanks, about 3 cups of eco-complete
>>
>>2573916
lol
>>
>>2573525
>I don't know if that makes the owner "rich" though. That's roughly the cost of the cheapest new car a person can buy.
Nobody in America pays all cash outright for a new car, though. A bank isn't going to finance a $20K loan for "I really just want a fish tank bro."
>>
>>2574066
I wouldn't be surprised if this tank was in some Asian country or island where these fish might be about 50 USD instead of 500+
>>
>>2573552
>the most beautiful fish available
Hardly. They're meh at best. Rich faggots just like them because they work as a status symbol and it gives them a power trip.
>>
>>2574066
Affirm does finance fish tanks in the US, apparently. No idea if any other lenders do.
>>
>>2573916
should have added "drinks the mixture" or something similar to the right because it's basically finnish kilju, although that recipe has no baking soda
>>
File: IMG_20180111_223242.jpg (1.25 MB, 2592x1944)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
>>2573729
Here is my old 10 gallon right before I took it down. It's current sitting with about 1 inch of water in it because it still has a ton of Malaysian trumpet snails in it and maybe some Columbian ramshorn babies as well. Not really sure how I'll separate all the snails from the gravel...I was thinking tweezers.
>>
>>2574066
>t. never had $20k available on credit cards
Sometimes I forget what it's like to be poor.
>>
>>2574081
>No idea if any other lenders do.
Well, you could get an unsecured line of credit, such as a credit card or a signature loan from a bank. They don't actually ask you what you're spending the money on, they don't care.

You could also borrow against your car or your house. Again the bank isn't going to ask you what you're doing with the money, they don't care.

The only time a bank cares what you're doing with your loan money is if they plan on using the stuff you purchase as collateral on the loan. E.g., if you get a car loan you have to buy a car. If you get a home loan you have to buy a home.

No bank is going to use an aquarium as collateral on a loan, so no bank is actually going to care what your aquarium loan is spent on.
>>
Got an extra 29 gallon. Here's my idea of what to do with it.

1. Since it's an extra tank, I wanna go as low-tech as possible. Only piece of equipment would be a sponge filter.
2. No heater, so coldwater. Thinking of putting in like 6 RCS and letting them breed on their own.
3. No light, so no plants. Probably just some cholla wood for hiding/grazing.
4. When the population gets big enough, I'll probably put in some white clouds to keep things under control. If they fail to eat enough and the RCS population continues to grow, I'll just put some shrimp in my main display where they can fend for themselves.

Does this seem viable? Does this setup need or benefit from substrate?
>>
File: 15158120513851354110977.jpg (1.55 MB, 2592x1944)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
>>2574107
New tank. Isn't much. Glass top is on the way and then I will get a light for it. I was considering upgrading the two sponge filters to large. Also need to get a better heater.
>>
>>2574399
RCS need a heater though.
>>
>>2574399
Should work fine. Cycle the whole tank before adding RCS so they have biofilm to graze. However imo you should put some plants in and put the tank in a sunny window. Nothing fancy maybe some anacharis or duckweed
>>
File: 1508955868018.gif (3.98 MB, 498x384)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB GIF
>>2574406
>>
>>2574412
>yeah ill take "what is winter" for 500 alex
>>
>>2574399
You should have some kind of plants for the shrimp. A simple CFL or cheap Chinese LED floodlight would be plenty for a number of low tech plants.
You could still go with no substrate if you stick to low light epiphytic plants, like java fern, anubias, and buce, but no substrate and just a sponge filter means you'll have limited surface area for nitrifying bacteria. Probably still plenty for shrimp, though.

My friend used to have a ten gallon tank with a couple juvenile marmorkrebs in with no substrate and the entire bottom of the tank was just covered in a layer of sußwsssertang. That was pretty dope.
>>
>>2574419
RCS are perfectly fine down to 65 or lower. Not everyone lives in a frozen third-world shithole.
>>
>>2574419
Does the inside of your house go below 57 degrees in the winter? My dwelling stays at 68.
>>
>>2574429
its not winter in the southern hemisphere, were 99% of third world shitholes are
>>2574431
no
>>
>>2574404
petco (unfortunate) is doing a dollar per gallon sale right now

10s are fun for a little while, you should upgrade!
>>
>>2574443
It was my fry grow-out tank but turned into a snail and Endler colony. I did end up upgrading and moving all the fish and snails over last night. Got some more natural looking gravel and tossed in a few plants that I bought recently, but I'm not really sure what I will end up doing with it.
>>
>>2574470
Snails.
>>
>>2574431
Nah I live in cuckifornia our winters are not that cold except maybe at night, but it'll be in my bedroom so it'll at least be warm enough for me to sleep in.
>>
>>2574429
Where do you live? I live in South Florida and we had a day of high 30s a few weeks back.
>>
>>2574483
This is totally relevant because aquariums are indoors
>>
File: possible fry.jpg (43 KB, 960x1280)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Any idea what the hell this thing is? I found it when I was cleaning out my old 10 gallon tank. The only fish that were in there were Endlers and Endler fry is a white color, this thing is clearly yellow. It does have two fins on either side of its body and swims like a fish though. Albino Endler or something weird?
>>
>>2574548
That one will probably exhibit different colors. It's a fish.
>>
>>2574555
Ok, I was just curious because out of all the Endler fry I've seen it was different. I guess I will let him live then.
>>
post pics of your saltwater tank under blacklights
>>
What color fish go good with dark (navy) blue and bright neon greens?
>>
>>2574635
well if you want complimentary colors, then for the dark blue you would want an orange and for the bright green you would want a red-violet but im not sure which fish those would be
>>
>>2574580
I took 32 pictures until I realized that the black lights highlight all of the semen and urine on my tank and tank stand.
>>
>>2574654
thats ok ;)
>>
What do you faggots think of this chap's video series on no water changes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESOdO0DME-o

Between this and Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium I think it's entirely possible
>>
>>2574718
It makes sense if you aren't trying to breed and/or sell your fish. If you just feed your fish once a day, or even once every 2-3 days, they will survive just fine and your plants will take out any nitrates.

If you're trying to breed robust fish to sell back to your LFS or at a local fish club, you're going to feed them 3-5 times per day and do large weekly water changes, because you can't feasibly cram enough plants into/around your tank to eliminate all that waste.
>>
File: colors.jpg (208 KB, 1024x832)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>2574635
Probably red-orange. You can use pic related to figure it out. It'll depend on whether you consider the blue as "blue" or more blue-violet and the green as "green" or more yellow-green.

As for red-orange fish, the easiest would be platies, guppies, or a betta.
>>
>>2574484
So you don't have a heater for your house?
>>
File: 20180113_192707.jpg (28 KB, 504x378)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
So my Axies foot grew back over the week but it's facing in the wrong god damn direction.
What a retard.
>>
>>2574879
>t. unable to detect unveiled sarcasm
>>
>>2574899
>calls an axolotl retarded for making 1 mistake when regrowing an entire fucking limb
>can't even regrow skin without scarring

wew
>>
>>2574904
I mean as mistake go it's a pretty significant one.
>>
>>2574407
Anacharis is fucking dope. Who ever told me to put that in with my goldfish was good man
>>
>>2574899
Was he the one with a broken arm? Did you cut it off?
>>
>>2574931
Do the goldfish eat the anacharis? Or does it just grow faster than they can eat it?
>>
>>2574946
Mine have increased like 20% in a few days. I only have one guy in the 62 gallon tank and I've only seen him nibble an itty bitty bit.
>>
>>2574931
>>2574959
just put in some anacharis into my 20 long and today some snails had completely eaten up one stalk

threw in some snail food to which they rushed over immediately so hopefully they stop
>>
>>2574969
What kind of snails?
>>
>>2574971
black and pearl mystery snails

also noticed some month old guppy fry hanging around them too so perhaps its a bit of both
>>
This guy has been posting RCS on CL for at least the last 6 months using this same pic, which is from his tank he says. I emailed him and asked him for a better pic, but he said "no pics" and left me his phone number. I wrote him back and told him that I guess I won't be buying any shrimp from him and that his shrimp looked like cull-grade trash shrimp anyways. I think the dumb fucker expected me to drive 1 hour to look at his shrimp to make my decision.
Pic related, his shitty shrimp.
>>
>>2574983
good choice. I think I paid $2 a shrimp for fire red grades plus shipping. Got 15 to my door for 40 dollars, and then I had hundreds until I accidentally killed them with excel
>>
>>2574990
Yeah he wanted $2 a piece as well. Dumb fucker! Did you buy your shrimp online or was it a local deal? That sucks about the Excel, did you overdose or something? I thought that stuff was safe for all fish and inverts.
>>
>>2574718
30 or more years ago nobody did water changes. It was a point of pride and competition to see how long you could go without changing any water. We'd go years without water changes. Most of us from that era of fishkeeping still don't change water more than once every 2-4 years or so.

This is not some new technique, it's very old. It's how everyone used to do it.
>>
>>2574994
Yeah I tried to use a larger dose to kill black algae and it didn't even work and also killed my shrimps. I got them off aquabid, forget the supplier
>>
File: IMG_20171208_151118.jpg (3.6 MB, 4160x3120)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB JPG
Hey,
Around 2 months ago i had guppy fry
They are currently in a breeding box but it looks like they havent grown since they were born. Around 30 were born but some died and i have around 20 fry now.
I'm feeding them normal flakes but i shred it so its smaller, however i think it doesnt have enough nutrientes. What else can i give them? Is artemia good choice for them to grow normally?
Pic is from around 3 weeks ago but they are almost the same now, except a few of them are snowing black markings like their mom
>>
>>2575060
I like to start my livebearer fry on decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. Super high protein so they grow fast. I also never separate the fry. They should be like halfway to full adult after 2 months. I would say it might be high nitrate stunting growth but they don't look to have red inflamed gills.
>>
>>2575060
post a new pic
>>
File: 25e.png (451 KB, 680x677)
451 KB
451 KB PNG
not a single pet store in the Philadelphia area is carrying freshwater shrimp atm

wtf reeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>2575072
probably all wiped out by shipping delays and bad weather
>>
Hey guys, I have a tank I've treated in the past a few times with copper sulfate to get rid of ich. The last time I dosed was probably a couple months ago because I thought I saw a spot. Anyway, I was thinking of putting some shrimp or dwarf crayfish in it at some point. But someone told me copper sulfate never leaves a tank that it was used in. Can I never safely have inverts now?
>>
>>2575077
No.
>>
fish are cute
>>
>>2575077
the tank itself, the glass and silicone, is fine. It just needs to be thoroughly rinsed a few hundred times to get rid of copper.

the substrate, decorations, rocks, wood, plants, etc. are full of copper and can't be used with inverts.
>>
I’ve officially decided to get an aquarium.

I’ve never cared for fish before - can anyone share a tank or is it just Bettas who are socially awkward?

considering getting a few glofish, a crab, a S U C C, and a mini shark (not sure what they’re called but they have cute whiskers)
>>
>>2575083
That's a shame.

>>2575084
Bettas can be housed with other fish in a 10g+ tank so long as the fish don't resemble bettas and aren't nippy.
>>
File: columbian shark.jpg (36 KB, 375x300)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>2575084
Are you thinking about one of these sharks? You will need a large tank. Succfish also need a decent sized tank.
>>
My brother wants to put shit shitty Betta in my tank. It’s dirty as shit (literally) and hasnt lived in a proper tank in almost a year (currently lives in one of those cups they give you at Wal Mart).

He will inevitably dump the fish in there (making it my responsibility by proxy). Can my fish get sick by hanging around such a dirty fish? I want to be ready foe the worst
>>
>>2575103
No. Bettas are remarkably tough and that one will recover quickly in a nice tank. You should give it a nice life.
>>
>>2575104
Thank god. I feel bad walking by that thing every day.
>>
>>2575103
Transfer him out of the shit shitty cup and into some fresh water then put him in your tank and post pics. Literally just steal the fish from your little brother because he doesn't know how to take care of fish properly.
>>
>>2575103
>Can my fish get sick by hanging around such a dirty fish?
no
>>
What should i feed my freshwater fish? I got guppies, one ancistrus, a dozen of neocaridinia shrimp, golden barbs and zebrafish
Currently givving them Tropical flake but i think i could add some variety to their diet. I also read that succ's like cucumber
>>
File: ca09afe4.jpg (69 KB, 526x1023)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
This is one of the coolest tanks I have ever seen. Anyone done something like this? Was it difficult to keep aerosols/dust off the plants? That's my main concern with such a tank.
>>
>>2575116
You could try some cucumber. Some people blanch it but that is a pain in the ass. I use some fishing line with some lead weights on it, stick it through the cucumber and drop it in. The guppies will probably nibble on it as well.
>>
>>2575117
>using aerosols around a fish tank
anon...
>>
>>2575120
I mean I don't use them but since I live with roomies it's a concern. Like if it leaks in or something.
>>
>>2575121
It is a bad idea to spray anything in the air around a tank like that. If you had a top on it, no problem probably, but that specific one is open so huge risk to use cologne, perfume, air freshener, etc..
Do you roomies already spray shit in the air?
>>
just ordered a few things from kens fish. 1/2 pound of food for less than 10 bucks. also got a couple of nets for less than 2 dollars each. found a heater that was on amazon for way cheaper too. probably their prices on other things are good as well. had to pay for shipping but economy ground was cheap.
>>
>>2575128
>huge risk to use cologne, perfume, air freshener, etc..
no

if any of those things were a risk nobody would be able to keep fish at all. A top doesn't prevent aerosols from entering the tank. If it did it would also prevent oxygen from entering the tank and everything would die.
>>
>Anacharis

>Petsmart - 4.69
>Petco - 2.99

why is there such a huge difference? the quality is exactly the same
>>
How much lava rock do I need for a 100 gallon filter?
>>
>>2575147
Go spray some shit right next to one of your tanks. I'll wait.
>top prevents oxygen from entering the tank
WTF is an air pump for then?
>>
>>2575170
who cares, anacharis is a shit tier plant and worth $0.00 to me. and mainstream pet stores are gayer than aids
>>
>>2575191
>Go spray some shit right next to one of your tanks. I'll wait.
I do it all the time. I have a tank in the bathroom where air freshener is sprayed daily. I have a tank in my office where cleaning products are stored and used daily.

>WTF is an air pump for then?
lol

you understand that your air pump is sucking air from your house, with perfumes and cleaning products and everything else, right?

air pumps don't make new air or teleport air in from some magical dimension without aerosols.
>>
>>2575171
Your sump is 100 gallons?
>>
>>2575171
>lava rock
>filter
please reconsider. Lava rock gets clogged rapidly and becomes worthless. Just use nylon filter floss and replace 50% at a time to maintain your bio filter. If you want to be fancy do a fluid sand filter
>>
>>2575198
>he doesnt keep his air pumps in their own sealed chamber with micron filters
>>
>>2575202
lol

I don't use air pumps though. There's no need because lids don't seal the air out of tanks.
>>
>>2575205
>put a lid on something
>its not sealed
ok
>>
>>2575208
>some lids are airtight
>all lids are airtight
retardation
>>
>>2575210
>he doesnt customize literally everything he has to fit perfectly
Why do you even keep fish?
>>
>>2575216
kek
show me shots of the RTV beads you run around your tank hoods to keep them hermetically sealed.

could you imagine if you had an airtight seal on your tank and then ran an air pump in it? Where would the air you pumped in even go? The tank would explode like a grenade.

funny stuff
>>
>>2575195
careful with that edge, Eugene

what do you have in your tank then?
>>
>>2575220
Obviously I thought of this and added one-way air valves to my lid.
Do you even or not?
>>
>>2575224
nicely engineered.

how did you get around breaking the seal when you add food or change water?
>>
>>2574945
Nah I couldn't bring myself to hurt the poor bugger.
It dropped off on its own and he seems perfectly happy with his new backwards one.
>>
>>2575225
Unlatch the lid and then open it up, just like a normal lid.
>>
>>2575230
unhygienic

you might as well just spray a bottle of Ralph Lauren Polo Blue in the tank and then chase it with Febreze and Scrubbing Bubbles.
>>
>>2575232
I forgot to mention that first I use drop sheets of plastic a la Dexter before I even look at the tank.
>>
>>2575239
>>
>>2575241
I only make my guests wear those.
>>
>>2574580
>post pics of your saltwater tank under blacklights
I put a light on it and the water lit up green. I guess my skimmer and UV aren't doing a great job
>>
>>2575249
Pour bleach into your tank.
>>
>>2575252
UV is cheaper than bleach sterilization
>>
>>2575249
that would still look cool though
i just wanted to see because i thought it was something that a lot of saltwater fishkeepers did was use a blacklight on their coral
>>
>>2575260
not so much. Coral are built to fluoresce under actinic blue light. Many of the will also fluoresce under UV but often in different colors than they do under blue.

since corals require actinic blue light to survive, what you see is just how the corals look. We aren't lighting them up to make them look cool, that's just how they are in nature.
>>
>>2575275
Yeah most corals grow in 15-50 feet of water which is quite blue, as that is the color least filtered out by water
>>
>>2575275
oh thats pretty bad ass, i always though they were glowing because of blacklight like some rocks do
>>
>>2575280
I did too until I got some of my own.
>>
>>2575072
Not even ghost shrimp?
>>
>>2575284
What the fuck do you think you dumb, illiterate, friendless virgin?
>>
If I start to feed my snails calcium-enriched foods, will the GH go up or no?
>>
>>2575287
Maybe?
>>
>>2575290
kek
>>
Does anyone here use these to grow coral on?
>>
Should i upgrade my 10 gallon to a 20 gallon? seems like moving the sand would be a pain in the ass, but I'm sad about my fish living in the minimum tank size.
>>
>>2575316
It is a huge pain in the ass and can take several hours, but it is worth it in the end. What type of fish do you have?
>>
>>2575060
Live Artemia napulii (freshly hatched) are good, but that involves having a whole hatchery and dealing with salt mixing and catching them.
Frozen rotifers or cyclops would be just as good and a lot easier.
>>
>>2575316
Before you do upgrade, you should consider if you want to go even bigger.
>>
>>2575318
Cory's and a female betta. I'd like to have a couple more cory's and maybe some dwarf gourami
>>2575323
I have a 62 gallon also. My 10 gallon occupies a space that would support a 36 gallon bowfront perfectly, but I'd be happy with either 20 or 29 gallons. Probably need to look around some for a 29 gallon.
>>
So I put a marimo ball in a jar of water on its own because it was turning brown in my tropical, high-light tank. I didn't want to just toss it out or anything. Want to see if I can grow it big. What are some other plants I can put in with it that like low light and cooler water?
>>
>>2575329
Get a bigger tank and get some more betta females. I have 6 in my community tank.
>>
>>2575330
try anubias nana maybe
>>
>>2575337
I think there's a dollar per gallon sale going on at my local petco, might swing by there for a 29. No more betta females, i gave away the other 2 I had, and I don't really want the one I have right now.
>>
>>2575322
The EZ CHZY way is the in-tank artemia hatchery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO47eWoDo6k
>>
Unfortunately marimo moss balls are extremely slow growing but you can put it in an aquarium with dwarf aquarium lilies. They are very fast growing and look great in just about all lighting.
>>
>>2575339
I have a bunch of anubias in the tank and was thinking of cutting it down a bit. Cool. My marimo ball can have a buddy in there.
>>
>>2575341
>No more betta females
What type of gourami were you think about?
>>
File: prowder brtue.jpg (11 KB, 265x190)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>2575349
Didn't mean to be rude, I still like betta females more than the guys I've just had my fill. These powder blue gouramis are some of my favorite fish.
>>
File: frens.png (2.59 MB, 1002x1336)
2.59 MB
2.59 MB PNG
>>
>>2575353
No worries.
If you got a few of those gouramis, I know they would love a bigger tank. The Petco sale is really worth it. I went there 2 days ago to upgrade one of my 10s to a 29g. The tank is much taller than I expected but my fish seem to like it. When I called one of the local ones, the guy told me they also had larger tanks on sale for 1/2 off. I went down there and they were out of 29 gallon tanks, but the guy helped out and called 2 other stores nearby. One of them had them, so I went to go pick it up. They actually had it waiting at the counter for me, was kind of nice but it was like 10 minutes until closing. But you should call before you go down just to make sure.
>>
File: P1120134 (624x800) (2).jpg (291 KB, 624x800)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>>
>>2575084
>considering getting a few glofish, a crab, a S U C C, and a mini shark (not sure what they’re called but they have cute whiskers)
A few things:
Non-Glo fish look pretty shit under those blue lights.
There are very few fully aquatic freshwater crabs. The most common are Thai micro crabs, and they stay very tiny and are easily picked on.
Succ can get anywhere from 2-24 inches long depending on the species and they're filthy.
I'm not really sure what you mean by "mini shark." The whiskers sounds like a Columbian shark catfish, which get large and eventually need saltwater.

The GloFish Company just released purple and orange rainbow sharks. You could do one of those, some Glo tetras or barbs, and a bristlenose pleco in a 29 gallon.
>>
>>2575199
What? No. I was going to get a nice spinge filter I found online. It has two sponges and two tubes/spots to put extra media in. I was going to use Joeys method of putting some rock into panythose, and then put it in the tubes. Probably will be overkill, but why not?
>>
File: bigererfihsher.jpg (2.48 MB, 2448x3264)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB JPG
Saw this big boi at the pet store. Never seen a 10 inch fancy goldfish before
>>
>>2575402
Lava rock is the worst filter media. Damn near anything is better.
>>
File: firsttank.jpg (74 KB, 817x552)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
This was my first tank about 7 years ago. Dug this picture up off my dead phone. Sad that everything in here is now dead but I sure have come a long way and know how to maintain now.
>>
>>2575412
Yeah my last tank was about 10 years ago. It was an overstocked and uncycled 5g that I cleaned by running under the tap. Obviously I had little success.... except for my corys which did amazing except for the fact that I only had 2.
>>
I had a thought while browsing the pet store's selection. How do long-finned varieties of fin-nippers (danios, skirt tetras, barbs) behave amongst themselves? Wouldn't they nip eachother? Or are their fins still short enough?
>>
File: secondtry.jpg (46 KB, 521x677)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>2575412
This was my second try at a planted tank. Unfortunately none of those neons survived my hard water and I didn't cap that substrate and it covered all the plant leaves in clay dust and also ruined the filter impeller. A huge disaster. Also trying to grow HC cuba without CO2 was retarded
>>
>>2575418
I want to add that this tank could have been amazing if I capped the substrate and bought anubias and crypts instead of swords and those shitass cardinal plants. I also was totally duped by the fact that flourite doesn't contain nutrients, I didn't find out it was inert until a couple years later, those mother fuckers selling top dollar aquarium plant substrate with NO NUTRIENTS IN IT.
>>
>>2575103
You should take time to very slowly transition the betta to clean water. Dumping the fish into a clean tank after he's become so accustomed to the dirty shit water he's in that the shock could kill him.
>>
>>2575404
Waat

Why is it the worst? Are you trolling? I feel like you're trolling.
>>
>>2575435
no, he's right.

It's pretty bad because it looks porous but isn't. Not the way you want filter media to be porous anyways. All the holes are on the surface, they don't connect to the internal surfaces. At a microscopic level the rock is smooth and lacks surface for bacteria.
>>
File: best.jpg (18 KB, 201x265)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>2575435
this is what i would recommend as the most cost effective ways to get super high surface area biomedia. It's about 4 bucks for a pillow sized bag that lasts me a year. I throw it out once it is a deep brown but only change 50% at a time.
>>
what fish would be suitable for a 50 gallon tank that i probably haven't seen before?
>>
>>2575450
nigger there's a lot more that goes into what fish is suitable than the size of your fucking tank
>>
I decided to feed my yoyo loaches some MTS, but they couldn't actually eat them! I threw like 6 of them in my tank and last I saw, 2 days ago, they were going into the sand. The loaches did come over and dig them out of the sand but they gave up after a minute or so. I haven't seen any MTS shells, so I assume they are alive.
>>
File: Photo Nov 26, 11 13 35 PM.jpg (1.29 MB, 3264x2448)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>
File: Photo Dec 02, 7 15 35 PM.jpg (1.95 MB, 3264x2448)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
i fucked this tank up so hard

substrate was basically poisonous
>>
>>2575454
nigger i'm not going to just throw every suggestion i get into the tank without doing any research.
>>
>>2575470
Were you the peat guy?
>>
>>2575472
Dragon goby, maybe? They're brackish though. Don't know if you feel like maintaining that.
>>
>>2575472
there's thousands of fish that could go into a 50 you have to be more specific. is your tap water hard, are you limited to tap water, what kind of filter, do you want plants, do you want a single big ass fish, or a community, or a bunch of one species, are you willing to order online, or are you limited to faggot ass petco fish, whats your budget.

>50 gallon tank what do
might as well say, I have an 5 inch penis what should I fuck?
>>
Are crabs a good addition to a freshwater community tank?
>>
>>2575489
is there land for them to walk on
>>
>>2575492
no dry land. im wondering if tetras, guppies, and other small fish would pick on either fiddler crabs or thai micro crabs.
>>
>>2575329
>My 10 gallon occupies a space that would support a 36 gallon bowfront perfectly, but I'd be happy with either 20 or 29 gallons.
Go big or go home. Get the 36 and have a fucking cory fiesta.
>>
>>2575330
Moss.
Susswassertang.

>>2575417
I have never seen a long-finned serpae tetra that didn't look ragged as fuck. Danios and skirt tetras usually look pretty shit too.
>>
>>2575450
Microctenopoma ansorgii.
Synodontis lucipinnis.
Fundulopanchax gardneri.
Etroplus cichlids.
B E E B E E W H E E L
>>
>>2575486
i was just looking to find interesting fish
>that i probably haven't seen before
that would be able to go into a 50 gallon tank. i didn't put down limitations because i don't have any as of now
>>
>>2575486
He specifically asked for something he's never seen before. Pretty obvious he just wants something interesting and uncommon. Pretty faggy request, but it's perfectly easy to understand if you're not retarded.

>I have an 5 inch penis what should I fuck?
Electrical socket.
>>
>>2575497
Fiddler crabs need land to come up and breathe, and they need brackish water.

They might survive a month or two, but chances are they will die.
>>
>>2575567
shit i didnt know that. i dont buy fish and animals to put them to their death i try to take care of them. ill have to do some more research.
>>
I got a 26 gal tropical tank ready to go. So far only my two Marbled Crayfish (Procambarus fallax forma virginalis) live in there, it's a bit empty.
I'd like to make this an oddball tank, any reccomendations?
>>
>>2575478
:’(
>>
File: is good deal yes no.jpg (96 KB, 720x960)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
buying this for $20
>>
>>2575730
does it come with the shelf?
>>
>>2575751
yeah, i found the shelf online at storables for $200 "cocktail cart with butcher block"
not sure what the weight rating is for the middle shelf but im thinking it would hold a 10 on the middle
there are some accessories and other parts i can buy for the shelf if i want
>>
>>2575754
200? damn dude just go to a thrift store and find a wooden dresser for 20, though I do like it i'll admit
>>
>>2575765
im only getting it because it was 20
if i was going to spend 200 on a shelf, it would be one of those big ass garage shelves with a 2000lb shelf capacity so i could put a few big tanks (or many small tanks) on it.
my 55 gallon is on an antique dresser, which was given to my mom by her first landlord like 50 years ago. it works well.
>>
File: 10 Gallons.jpg (111 KB, 640x480)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>2575769
oh shit my bad im retarded i didn't see that post
>>
File: rack idea.png (19 KB, 739x706)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>2575771
i was going to build something similar to that but my gf wants the tanks to be lengthwise on the shelf so im skipping the tank rack...for now. im not the best carpenter, but i have made a few garage shelves and a wooden 3x2x6 grow box.
>>
>>2575772
carpentry is retardedly easy for aquarium purposes
>if you have the right tools
>>
>>2575773
>hammer
>drill
>grandpa's old circular saw he used to build his
house with
>ratchet set
i think that with those 4 things, plus the wood and the hardware, and some plans, i could build it. i would probably need to get a level and a square though.
>>
>>2575772
if lengthwise I would do 2 shelves, 2 20 longs on each shelf. Just my personal taste.

I had 2 matching 10 gallons I wanted to start a shelf with, but one cracked on the bottom and I don't know if it's worth fixing.
>>
>>2575777
wow this is the second 777 i've gotten in a row (last one was on /sp/)
>>
>>2575777
>>2575779
checked
2 20s x 2 shelves would look nice
then use a third shelf on the bottom to store stuff maybe. pretty sure i could build something that would hold 500 or 600 pounds pretty easily. i guess if i was really worried i could build it with subfloor plywood.
the cracked tank is probably not worth repairing, but it would be an ok project. i know a lot of people repair and make their own tanks. i havent tried it myself yet though.
>>
>>2575639
Crayfish are fucking dope man. Originally that was the only thing i wanted, but I went with shrimp instead. It's a bitch finding tankmates that won't get snipped and eaten, or pick on the crayfish after molting
>>2575504
>>2575323
Went with the 20 gallon. The 29 gallon like some anon said was tall as shit and the shelf its going on is already at my shoulders. Maybe I would've went for it if my 62 gallon wasn't also tall as fuck.
>>
>>2575785
post a pic
>>
>>2575785
length is better than height, even if you do miss the 9 gallons imo
>>
>>2575788
i want to do a 20L with WCMM but im not sure what other coldwater fish could go with them
>>
File: kreg corner clamp.jpg (18 KB, 282x282)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>2575776
a good corner clamp makes things so much easier

buy once, have forever
>>
>>2575497
Tetras might nip at micro crabs' legs and fuzzies. They should be treated like cherry shrimp, essentially, except they hide a lot more and are a lot harder to breed.

>>2575639
Marmorkrebs are a bit more mellow than other crays, but there's still going to be a risk to whatever you put in there.
I'd just do something cheap and fast for movement in the tank. Zebra danios, rosy red minnows, or white cloud mountain minnows.
>>
>>2575573
Yea...I almost bought some from walmart until I looked up a caresheet online.
>>
>>2575807
how do you use that?
>>
>>2575790
By "coldwater," you really just mean it won't have a heater, right? So we're talking 65-68 degrees? In that case my suggestion is corydoras paleatus or metae. They're probably the most cold-tolerant cory, they're hardy, and they're neat.
>>
>>2575790
>coldwater
Unless it's staying consistently below 70, it's more subtropical or temperate.

You could do a river setup with hillstream loaches and stiphodons if it's going to stay pretty cold.

Otherwise, platies, rubberlip plecos, cherry barbs, peppered cories, danios, Okefenokee pygmy sunfish, and CPDs can all handle temps down to 68-ish pretty easily.

Paradise gourami are from the same rivers and streams that WCMMs come from, but they're also kind of dickish.
>>
File: red minor tetra.jpg (666 KB, 1024x768)
666 KB
666 KB JPG
anyone have experience with serpae?

i love the size and look of these guys, pretty cheap too
>>
>>2575826
>>2575836
That guy was someone else so I think he's not looking for specifically cory's and gourami
>>
I'm thinking of building a custom aquarium.

6' long, 1' wide, 1' tall.

Bare bottom with maybe some potted lucky bamboo, a really good filter, and two-three shubunkin goldfish.

Any downsides to this?
>>
>>2575822
>Marmorkrebs are a bit more mellow than other crays, but there's still going to be a risk to whatever you put in there.

they are aggressive as fuck! one of them ate a guppy and most of the plants are chewed up or torn apart. I love my crayfish <3
>>
>>2575846
Yeah the downside is you would be totally wasting what could be a gnarly custom planted tank
>>
>>2575837
They're cool, just get a bunch of them because they can be fin nippers.
>>
>>2575826
>>2575836
no heater it would just be whatever ambient temp i have. i have WCMM now but they are in my community tank, but i want them out. maybe i will put them and some cherry barbs in a 20L.
>>
>>2575872
I was worried about water quality lol. And goldfish eat plants like mad.
>>
>>2575846
Way too small. Shubunkins are single-tailed, which means they're more streamlined and active than typical fancy goldfish. They also should easily reach 10". You tank is 45 gallons and only 12" wide. Both of those dimensions would be appropriate for 1 shubunkin, as long as it doesn't reach full size. The people who keep shubunkins in 20-30 gallon tanks only succeed by taking such poor care of their fish that they never reach full size, but not quite poor enough to kill them.
>>
>>2575836
>stiphodons
What an interesting looking fish!
>>
>>2575902
But it would be 6 feet long. I mean that's quite a bit of swimming room, especially if I only get two.
>>
>>2575907
>>2575910
Or I could just get a bunch of these. That's a sick lookin fish.
>>
Using an extra 10 gallon to try and grow a carpet of S Repens to eventually replant to other tanks

Do I need to filter this water at all or can I just let it sit?
>>
>>2575913
might get some dangerous bacteria in still water my man
>>
>>2575910
Yeah, but there are two dimensions to a footprint. Your tank is not going to be enough room for them to turn around, assuming they reach full size. They can hit 18" in ponds. A standard 75 gallon would be more appropriate.

Think of some of the great-looking tanks you've seen posted in the past. A good-looking goldfish tank is huge. A good-looking long, skinny tank is usually planted or a river manifold system.
>>
i just got back from picking up >>2575730 .
the heater has some dried algae on it. i should probably thoroughly clean the equipment and tank before i use it, right? no bleach, so what should i use? magic eraser or something?
>>
>>2575915
Ah, yea I wasn't thinking about them needing to turn around. Shit.

Well I wonder how much those koi bettas cost. Could probably fit a good sized sority in a tank like that.
>>
>>2575916
Soak it in warm water and scrub?
>>
File: pond.jpg (1.71 MB, 2988x5312)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>2575910
I dont even think my goldfish have enough room in my 6000 gallon pond. They swim in circles most of the days until it freezes over.
>>
>>2575913
I thought people liked to do this sort of thing terrarium style?
>>
>>2575919
>koi bettas
>shubunkins
If you're really interested in those koi patterns/colors, look into showa/sanke swordtails. They would look great in that tank.
>>
>>2575923
Did you build that? That's pretty bad ass!
>>
File: 20140806_180312.jpg (2.85 MB, 3264x2448)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB JPG
>>2575926
Yeah it started off as a hardliner pond we had for years but after a decade it cracked and we had this hole full of hyacinth that grew like mad
>>
File: pondplants.jpg (1.78 MB, 2988x5312)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
>>2575929
Now we have this 15x15 raised pond and add a couple new lilies every year. This year I got one called a wanvisa that is a hybrid of a pink and yellow that can't pick which phenotype to display so it varies wildly from flower to flower
>>
File: wanvisa.jpg (1.08 MB, 2988x5312)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>2575930
I'm probably going to let this thing grow for another year then cut it into 4 pieces next year to make 4 of them I really enjoy them.
>>
>>2575929
>>2575930
>>2575932
That's pretty awesome! I grew 1 lily in my aquarium and it produced a flower actually, but the flower closed up after 1 day. What do you mean cut it into 4 pieces? Like split the bulb or..?
>>
>>2575925
Oooh

Niiice
>>
>>2575944
Lily flowers will close until light hits them. Mine close every night and open each morning and last 2 weeks give or take. Yeah I would like to split the bulb and cultivate this lily, it's my favorite.
>>
File: 15159651375541210617173.jpg (776 KB, 1944x2592)
776 KB
776 KB JPG
>>2575946
This is what it looks like now. It was going to fall into the water to I laid it on that pad.
>>
>>2575955
Yeah that doesn't look too healthy. Perhaps a lack of nutrients or light. Lilies require a lot. I grow mine in 5 gallon pots of dirt, in full sun. No such thing as too much for a water lily
>>
>>2575957
I dose the tank with Excel and I did recently put root tabs under all my plants.. except the lily. I have to cut pads back every few days. The flower did grow above the light (2x 4ft shop light) so maybe that's what did it. Do you know if lilies are dependent on the amount of sun light to flower? My lights are usually on longer than 12 hours, but from my understanding more than 12 hours of light per day was good for a vegetative growing state for most plants.
>>
>>2575961
more light is better for lilies 12 should be good. The lily probably consumes several times more than any plant in your tank, give it a half dozen tabs and you'll probably see another flower.
>>
>>2575964
I bought the Sera brand tabs, so I have about 18 left and I could do that. I also have a few bottles of FoxFarms fertilizers. I was thinking about using some of the Grow Big but I don't think it would be safe for the fish.
Despite my lily growing so much, my nitrates are always high, probably 60ppm. Haven't tested this weekend yet though, so they might be tiny bit lower.
>>
Damn the Endler's mating "dance" looks so retarded, especially compared to a fancy guppy or, better yet, the German Blue Ram's fin waggling.
>>
>>2575470
You need way more of the top layer if you wanted that to work.
>>
>>2575916
Magic eraser, razor blade, white vinegar, barkeeper's friend, HCl if shit starts to get real.

>>2575919
How do you feel about gold barbs? They have some of that mottling pattern you get in shubunkins and are cold tolerant like goldfish.
>>
>>2575914
Would an air stone be enough? I want to use this filter for another tank with fish
>>
>>2576001
>HCl
not just for cleaning concrete anymore
>>
non-shit OP and new thread
>>2576008
>>
>>2576010
>discord thread
>non-shit
pick one
>>
>>2576013
>my rigged strawpoll matters!
>>
>discordfags this buttmad
wew laddies
>>
>>2575330
fissidens?
>>
>>2576016
>>my rigged strawpoll matters!
we can reproduce it in your thread if you like.

we only have one face each, so we can post a timestamped shot with face and a vote.

I'm not sure about other people here, but I voted no discord link, it's spam. We don't advertise your shitty website for free here.
>>
>>2576031
except the discord was never an issue for two threads with it omitted until this OP made a strawpoll about /an/cord. the only autismos that are upset about discord enough to shit up the thread, is a tiny discord circlejerk that got banned from /an/cord itself.
>>
>>2576038
I don't care, both groups are spam.

I'm a bit surprised neither of you has bought an ad for your shit yet, they're only $20 last time I checked.

but I suppose it's too much to expect any of you to have $20 to spend.
>>
>>2575969
well lilies are a root feeder so nitrates in the water column won't do as much. Most low tech tanks are lacking in potassium, so that may be why the nitrate isn't being used.
>>
>>2576052
should i try to feed my fish some bananas?
>>
>>2576063
shove your bananas up your ass fag, just use fish food for fuck's sake you idiot.
>>
>>2576063
nah I'd do a 50% water change weekly until nitrate is under control and throw in more root tabs which have potassium if they are any good.

>>2576271
y r u like this
>>
Attempting my first breeding project with Cherry Shrimp. Got wood, plants, sand, sponge filter, and temp set to ~76F
>>
>>2576271
thats not where they go anon
plenty of aquarium creatures eat fruit and veggies
>>
>>2576272
i just checked and sera tabs do have potassium in them so ill add some next time i feel like getting wet up to my elbows
>>
>>2576289
Post a pic
>>
>>2575170
get your plants online. Both ebay and aquabid will give you more plants for cheaper
>>
>>2573450
He must be lonely

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.