[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1188 (1).jpg (43 KB, 390x355)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Has a rat ever done anything to you to create this animosity you feel toward them? Rats spread disease. They bite people. Rats were the cause of the bubonic plague, but that’s some time ago. I propose to you any disease a rat could spread, a squirrel could equally carry. Would you agree? Yet, I assume you don’t share the same animosity with squirrels that you do with rats, do you? Yet, they’re both rodents, are they not? And except for the tail, they even rather look alike, don’t they? However interesting as the thought may be, it makes not one bit of difference to how you feel. If a rat were to walk in here, right now, as I’m talking would you greet it with a saucer of your delicious milk? I didn’t think so. You don’t like them. You don’t really know why you don’t like them. All you know is you find them repulsive.
>>
>>2573585
What happened to the right one?
>>
>>2573588
It's American.
>>
File: 1507856152774.jpg (59 KB, 600x600)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>2573585
The plague may well have been gerbils and not rats. Rats are cute but their droppings and urine stink.

https://www.npr.org/2015/02/28/389595442/rats-blamed-for-bubonic-plague-but-gerbils-may-be-the-real-villains
>>
File: 20180112_075418.png (511 KB, 591x401)
511 KB
511 KB PNG
I've heard IQ <89 people say that the long skinny tail makes them uncomfortable.

Would common rats look better if they had fluffy tails?
>>
File: 15UuTiE.gif (1.71 MB, 320x180)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB GIF
>>2573585
I know why I don't like them.
You have to be retarded to be okay with brown rats, black rats and house mice as anything but lab specimens or at best pets.
Also, squirrels don't destroy crops, don't invade grain silos, don't spread trichinosis, aren't an invasive species (talking about red squirrel, not the american nigger squirrel) that eradicate entire ecosystems, don't destroy wiring wherever they go or kill livestock or babies by eating them alive.

>>2573609
Too fucking bad the problem was not the rat itself, but the fact it carried the ORIENTAL flea, who's main host is Rattus not Gerbils. The Oriental flea is the main carrier of Yersinia Pestis.
I hope you know the Black Rat, Brown rat and House mouse are not native to anywhere but the ORIENT no? You know, the place the Oriental Flea and Yersinia Pestis also came from.
It really makes me think.
>>
>>2573649
And those damn chinks complain about biowarfare by the japs in ww2. The imperial army of japan was just returning the favor.

>Unit 731
>>
>>2573585
you brainlet, fleas are widely accepted as being the true carriers of the bubonic plague
>>
>>2573588
>""""""""american cheese"""""""""
>>
>>2573588
Some experiement with obesity and diabetes.
Rats have to suffer for american eating habbits and corn syrup.
>>
>>2573585
Humans have been performing agriculture in some form or another for about 10 of 11 thousand years, and we've been collecting and storing grains for about twice that long.

Do you that 500 to a thousand generations of people could have passed without there being some form of selection pressure for people that had a disgust sensitivity to rodents, especially when the alternative to eradicating a rodent infestation is "your family starves to death?"

Granted, I think pretty much all rodents are adorable, but there's a clear difference between pets and pests.

>>2573619
That is actually really cute, and I dont even really mind the scaley tails.
>>
>>2573700
Which were mainly carried on which animal again?
>>
I like rats, i think they're nice looking, specially their streamlined bodies. I'd have a nice clean rat as a pet.

>>2573794
They were mostly carried by rats at the time, but any furry or feathery animal can carry them. Dogs, cats, squirrels, pigeons, sparrows, you name it.
>>
>>2573585
I don't feel animosity towards rats, they haven't really ever messed with me. I guess I sort of understand that they have been carriers of disease but so are a lot of other animals and that's not really a problem anyways with modern medecine and cleanliness.
>>
>>2573585

I once bought 5 ducklings when I was little. I dozed off while while watching them sleep in their box and when I woke up 30 minutes later they disappeared. The only clue left was a small splatter of blood in the box. They were taken by rats.

This was indoors where no other animal could have taken them.
>>
File: 1512600467534.jpg (92 KB, 950x950)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>2573817
>imagining those living conditions
>>
>>2573817
What sort of hovel do you reside in?
>>
>Yet, I assume you don’t share the same animosity with squirrels that you do with rats, do you?
That's where you're wrong kiddo.
>>
>>2573585
Their tails are unsettling.
>>
>>2573585
European white vs (((American white)))
>>
>>2573594
Kek
>>
>>2573585
Introduced pest species decimated native fauna in my country.

I've assisted with the post-mortem of way too many rats with the intention of viewing their stomach contents, particularly during fledging season, to really, you know, want much to do with a live one.

They smell awful, and the other things we post mortem as mustelids that we occasionally hit the scent glands on when we're opening the abdominal cavity to check the uterine horns for obvious signs of pregnancy. The rats smell worse.

Only thing we've post mortemed that was worse than a rat was a penguin, because penguins are oily and fishy and rank.

>tl;dr too much experience cutting dead rats open, know too much about what they smell like inside as they're in the beginning and middle processed of decay
>not for me
>never seen a squirrel in my life, they were never introduced thank fuck
>>
>>2573585
Rats are cute
Stop being mean
>>
>>2573946
Where the fuck are you from and what the actual hell is your occupation, anon?...or do you just tear up dead animals for giggles?
>>
>>2573800
>They were mostly carried by rats at the time
Like I said.
>>
>>2573649
>the american nigger squirrel
they're called squiggers
>>
>>2574003
Coastal New Zealand.

I dogsit part-time, but assist a veterinarian who is doing these post mortems as part of a larger conservation prject in a particular area being actively returned to native bushland but was once farmland. We're checking stomach contents for feathers and lizard remains, as those are good indications that the pests we are examining have consumed native fauna.

The penguin was found dead locally and handed in to the veterinarian. We post mortemed it for cause of death, as there has been an ongoing effort to reintroduce them to our coastline and keep them safe. In this case it appeared the penguin, although it looks reasonably unharmed on the outside, had suffered tremendous blunt trauma and sustained significant internal crush injuries and bleeding. It is likely it was hit by a car. As they move to and from the sea around dawn and dusk, when light is poor, this made the most sense, although it may also have suffered a collision with a boat.

My purpose in the post mortems is to observe, provide a second opinion about any interesting findings, and take extensive and detailed notes for the veterinarian so she can continue the post mortem of the subject animal without having to remove and replace her gloves constantly, as we take numerous measurements and often do several animals in a batch, so it would be bothersome for her to perform the task unaided.

I am the only person in her friend/acquaintance group with both the strong stomach and the time on hand to assist.

I wouldn't do it for shits and giggles because some of them are rather maggotty by the time they come past us and it's actually extraordinarily disgusting.
>>
>>2573585
>I propose to you any disease a rat could spread, a squirrel could equally carry. Would you agree? Yet, I assume you don’t share the same animosity with squirrels that you do with rats, do you?
Good comparison OP! shifting the blame! because Squirrels are known for getting into your basement and touching your shit
Because Squirrels are known to get into ships and colonize new environments, nuking the native fauna worse than feral cats do

And they are also a shit-tier pet, it's like you enjoy hurting yourself loving a pet that will last 3 years tops
>>
>>2574120
Hm. Pretty interesting to be honest. I wish you the best in your efforts, Anon!
>>
>>2574124
You realize this is a quote from the Jew Hunter in Inglorious Basterds?
>>
>>2574295
Lmao somebody finally fucking caught that.
>>
>>2573860
>wanna have some fun, smoothskin?
>>
File: 1435029563225s.jpg (2 KB, 125x112)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
>>2573585
They're miserable, diseased, nasty little creatures who breed like fucking mad and bite babies.

Those who own them as pets also tend to be miserable, diseased, nasty little creatures, but thankfully the prospects of them ever breeding are fairly low.
>>
File: Söze.png (341 KB, 609x357)
341 KB
341 KB PNG
>>2573649
Fleas no doubt are a fairly resilient parasite, it makes sense that they could easily move from one animal to another not excepting humans as an additional host. And the gerbil as well would make a more ideal vector than the human. What's more interesting is the weather patterns surrounding the plague were examined through tree rings and are thought to have indicated parameters that reach into ranges that would cause extreme adversity for rats in general. So between the versatility of the fleas and the multitudinous number of hosts available to them, when the rodents died the fleas needed new hosts, this caught like wildfire, and vectors were allowed to run rampant and unchecked.

There's more of a point to be made about human hygiene both individually and socially. The state of Europe at the time, and specifically port cities was and continued for centuries to be excessively polluted with any variety of detritus. This includes human and animal excrement, butcher's waste, blood, general waste food, and other such refuse. It was made to be a utopia for the omnivorous rodents which rapidly populated the urban areas of the city. It's truly a testament to the dangers of the artificial systems upon which we base normal social functions. Luckily for us we've made advances in leaps and bounds since then, but if anyone is to blame it's not the rats, gerbils, nor the fleas but rather the cities where the plague caught like fire.
>>
>>2573585
joke's on you, I hate squirrels much more than I dislike rats
>>
Domesticated ones are fine. Really cute and smart, too. However, if some wild fucker comes into my kitchen and nibbles on MY FOOD then he's getting poisoned post-haste.
>>
>>2574575
You are miserable
>>
>>2574601
All that to say "don't blame the invasive pest, blame the human's natural habitat"
When an animal goes extinct due to human invasion do you blame the people who migrated there or the animal that made it's habitat there?
>>
Could you teach a rat to use a weapon?

I think it would be cool to give two rats that knew how to fight a tips and put them against one another like gladiators, winner gets to move on to the next round of the breeding program, loser gets their protein ratios doubled in anticipation of the next fight
>>
>>2574802
It's not a natural habitat, it's a convoluted structure of social norms and manmade buildings which contribute to a high concentration of population condensed into a small area which escaped a nominal level of hygiene and acted as a catalyst for plague vector proliferation. Had the cities been less populous and cleaner in general they would've suffered less. If the cities didn't exist in any comparable extent the plague may have never happened. More interestingly once things returned to business as usual, the renaissance began, interestingly enough. Perhaps we should thank the plague.

But to answer your question, I'm woefully unaware of invasive species successfully crossing massive bounds of oceans to find success in biomes they're unfamiliar and maladaped to. In that case, it's mankind to blame once again for their unnatural tendency to construct complications.
>>
>>2573585
Rats didn't spread black death it was airborne you dead beat
>>
>>2575176
>>2575076
Muh plague vector dindo nuffin
>>
File: wew.png (69 KB, 645x729)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>2573585
>comparing a tree dweller to a sewer dweller
>>
File: rat.jpg (25 KB, 640x360)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>2573585
Why do you think I'm disgusting anon? I'm just like a squirrel you fuckin bigot!
>>
>>2573588
its t h i c c :-DDDDDDDD
>>
>>2573585
they shit and piss all over the place
>>
>>2575384
is cute

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.