[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Brine-Shrimp1.jpg (113 KB, 488x300)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
Hey /an/ got a small project I'm doing I'm trying to do a ecosphere with brine shrimp but I'm having some issues. I got atleast a 1 liter container for the fuckers my question is how much salt (sea salt naturally) should I use to insure brine shrimp survival and insure hatching with the eggs I got.
>>
>>2574724
Between 30-40 gram. They are pretty adaptable.
>>
>>2574729
I'm bad at math I have teaspoon and tablespoon tools can you convert it to that?
>>
>>2574731
according to https://www.convertunits.com/from/gram/to/tablespoon

about 2-2,5 tablespoons
>>
>>2574732
Thank you.
>>
>>2574724
>sea salt naturally
do not use culinary salt. even if it says 'sea salt'.
>>
>>2574724
you should get a swing hydrometer, they cost about $3 and will accurately measure your salinity.

because even if you measure out the salt correctly water will evaporate and fuck up your measures.
>>
>>2576190
>because even if you measure out the salt correctly water will evaporate and fuck up your measures.
brine shrimp are used to that, it's exactly what happens in their natural habitat
>>
>>2576196
nah, the amount of evap that comes off a 1L bottle in a day is more than the fraction that comes off of TGSL in a decade.

your home tank can become toxic to them in a matter of hours while in nature it takes years.
>>
>>2576188
Any non-iodized salt is fine.
>>
>>2576203
artemia are the piss-easiest pets you can possibly have. I have raised them dozens of times without every paying any real attention to them. there's a reason why they are popular fish food. the water that evaporates in a week doesn't skew it enough to kill them off
>>
>>2576206
>the water that evaporates in a week doesn't skew it enough to kill them off
this is a variable, not a constant
>>
>>2576221
the point is that artemia are very hardy and adaptable. a 1L bottle is fine as long as it has an air stone and a vague amount of salt.
>>
>>2576224
if you do any reading you'll learn that there's a very narrow optimum salinity and going above or below it by one point cuts their size in half and two points kills them.

but let's not kid ourselves, you don't read.
>>
>>2576226
I don't know why you are getting so irrationally angry over the fact that shrimps that are sold in kits for literal children are very easy to keep and don't require something like keeping track of the exact salinity?
>>
>>2576228
I'm not angry, and it's not that they don't require tracking, it's that they're cheap and nobody cares if you fuck up and they die.

OP seems more concerned than you, so I suggest a hydrometer. It's super cheap and very effective.

you don't need one because fuck it, your shrimp don't matter.
>>
File: nope.jpg (87 KB, 808x609)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>2576226
>>2576233
>>
>>2576237
yes, because that's ALL THERE IS TO KNOW about artemia
lol
>>
>>2576238
not an argument
>>
>>2576238
>irrational anger capslock

Artemia are not fucking reef fish and don't require a hydrometer. Half of the time I use them to feed my fish I do it with an in-tank brine shrimp hatchery in 0% salt water. The adults I raise with random spoonfuls of salt. The only time a culture has crashed on me is when the airstone stopped working.
>>
>>2576239
I'm not arguing with you.
I know things you don't. That's your problem, not mine.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.