[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: king of shit.jpg (421 KB, 1486x1338)
421 KB
421 KB JPG
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.
Search engines are your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.
Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:

-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them
-pictures are always helpful

Links:
Tank Cycling:
>https://www.petcha.com/freshwater-aquarium-cycling/
>https://www.petcha.com/fishless-aquarium-cycling-method/
Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com
>>
Previous thread >>2653057
>>
File: 1.jpg (1.18 MB, 1800x1090)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
My fish is so fucking fat what.
>>
>>2656477
That looks like how livebearers look before they start dropping fry. I dont know anything about your fish in particular though
>>
>>2656481
It is a serpae tetra. Maybe dropsy?
>>
>>2656483
dropsy is always my first guess but there's no pinecone-ing in your pic so I dont think so. It really just looks like she'll spawn soon and is just carrying alot of eggs
>>
hail to the goldfish king
>>
File: bugbites.png (404 KB, 441x530)
404 KB
404 KB PNG
What does /aq/ think of pic related? Just got stocked in a local store and it looks pretty good. The fish like it, though when it sinks to the bottom they have a hard time finding it (except the loaches, the loaches know what to do) as it has a dull color and looks like dirt.

https://ca-en.hagen.com/BUGBITES

Ingredients:
Black Soldier Fly Larvae, Salmon, Fish Protein Concentrate, Green Peas, Potato, Wheat, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Lecithin, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Vitamin E Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Marigold Extract, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract, Riboflavin, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Inositol, Folic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement

>>2656485
She is one of two in a school of 12 that looks tubby like this. She doesn't have any pineconing or signs of sluggishness. She just thic.
>>
Spent a good 3 hours attempting to take pics of my shrimp today. Not using anything fancy, just a Canon PowerShot. It was really difficult to get a good pic because there is no manual focus. Seriously considering getting a "cheap" DSLR so I can get some good macro shots. I know almost nothing about DSLRs other than they have different lenses and are pretty expensive. I think that even the entry-level ones are around $500 and I know the lenses are a couple hundred each.
>>
>>2656500
How much do you get for how much money?
>>
>>2656503
I got my little 45 gram pottle for 10 USD or so. I don't think it will be economical to feed a lot of fish with, but it is a pretty good quality deal for my one 50G tropical fish tank.
>>
File: DSC_1006.jpg (2.64 MB, 3216x2136)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
>>2656501
I can normally get pictures of my fast-darting fish with the automatic 'sport' function on my DSLR, not sure about macro shots of shrimp though.

Taking photos of aquarium fish, or even taking photos of fish underwater in general, is inherently difficult.
>>
File: kensfish.png (402 KB, 781x817)
402 KB
402 KB PNG
>>2656509
I really love this brand of food. Super cheap. Even a poorfag like myself can afford it. Haven't tried out the bug food he sells yet, but I bought some cichlid flakes and some sinking calcium veggie sticks for my snails.
>>
File: IMG_0654.jpg (1.91 MB, 3864x2898)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
>>2656510
All the shots I tried of fish came out too shitty to post.
>>
>>2656514
Unfortunately i live in a very inaccessible place in the world (New Zealand), and i probably won't be able to purchase ken's fish food from here without paying shitloads for shipping or getting issues in customs.
>>
File: Shrimp-Macro-5.jpg (310 KB, 2048x1152)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
>>2656516
That actually looks better than i expected. This board has given me low expectations with the shitty photos people take. Just needs better lighting and composition. Composition can be fixed with some photoshop. Im pretty sure that with a DSLR you can get some stunning photos with the right technique.
>>
File: JFC.png (8 KB, 737x173)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>2656517
Ah shit, I assumed from the website address you were from Canada. Yeah not worth it with the shipping...
>>
File: wake me up inside.jpg (2.6 MB, 3864x2898)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
>>2656519
That was as close as I could get before it got blurry. Hopefully sometime this year I will get a better camera and take some real nice macros like that pic. I actually read that site earlier trying to find tips lol. Most of the pics came out like shit but I enjoyed myself for a few hours.
>>
File: DSC_1251.jpg (2.93 MB, 3216x2136)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB JPG
I like my tacky background.
>>
>>2656525
It looks cool, really gives a nice depth to your tank. My backs are all green from algae but I would consider keeping them clean for something like that.
>>
>>2656530
Algae is a pain to scrub away. Some kinds just stick to the glass and i have to use some muscle and persistence to get it off.

Is excess algae not unhealthy to aquarium fish? I was always under the impression that algae = dirty.
>>
>>2656547
Algae free environment is abnormal for fish. Go look videos of tropical fish in the wild. They're all full of algae. Obsessive algae cleaning is for people and plants, not the fish.
>>
>>2656547
I think algae is just a sign of excess nutrients. Some fish eat it, snails and shrimp do as well. The green kind on the glass is what I have. Comes off very easily with a regular Magic Eraser. I use those to clean the inside and the outside of my glass. Just water on the outside and a different eraser of course. Easy to tell which one the inside one is though because it is green.
>>
>>2656581
Oh yes, sure, but in the wild the water isn't necessarily contained in a small area like a tank.

>>2656582
Some of my fish enjoy the odd bit of green algae. The stuff i don't like is the brown gunk that sticks hard to the glass and sticks to the plants.

That being said, i really like how natural blackwater environments look, and a little bit of algae helps with the look.
>>
I really want to know how the guy with the fish tank on his office desk gets away with it. I work in a pretty chill office, but the second they realized the filter runs 24/7 or saw me spend an hour+ setting it up, I'd be sacked.
>>
wanna know why your thread is dead as fuck?

you're retarded and changed your damn NAME to "aquarium general" instead of using the subject line you fucking redditor

don't post in here, use the correct thread: >>2656652
>>
>>2656645
Depends a lot on the office and the office culture, but the best way is to stay after work/come in before work to set it up. Don't try to do it on work time, never do anything to the tank other than feed fish on work time. My boss doesn't mind my betta tank at all, but then she has 29 gallon with a pair of black clownfish in her own office.
>>
>>2656522
"Hey look at me I'm a millionaire, I got a DSLR and photoshop!"
>>
I need recommendations for a mechanical-only filter, or filter that you can customize with only sponges. Basically looking for something cheap to suck up any disturbed substrate, but not fuck up my planted's eco system.
>>
>>2656662
>wanna know why your thread is dead as fuck?
>you're retarded and changed your damn NAME to "aquarium general" instead of using the subject line you fucking redditor
>don't post in here, use the correct thread: >>2656652
Fuck your thread. A kind anon made this thread and I, for one, will be staying. Those of you who feel the need to have Discord in your lives go on over there. You will not be missed. You guys give terrible advice anyways.
>>
>>2656459
So how much salt do I need to put in the water to kill my annoying neighbor's faggot fish tank
>>
>>2656763
>So how much salt do I need to put in the water to kill my annoying neighbor's faggot fish tank
A mere 1 gram per gallon will do the trick. If you are feeling truly evil, you could go up to 3 or 5 grams per gallon, but any more than that you will just be wasting salt.
>>
>>2656740
>I need recommendations for a mechanical-only filter, or filter that you can customize with only sponges. Basically looking for something cheap to suck up any disturbed substrate, but not fuck up my planted's eco system.
Get yourself a powerhead and a sponge filter, it will do what you want. It will also add some current to your tank. You could go with just an air-driven sponge filter if you don't want the current.
>>
>>2656477
Constipation?
>>
>>2656692
Lol you don't need to be a millionaire to get a used DSLR from Craigslist or the pawn shop. I was looking at some yesterday that were only $200+. Even I could afford that...and who actually pays for software? You could always go with GIMP instead of Photoshop anyways.
>>
>>2656775
I say this because my betta is very fat like this, has no signs of dropsy, and she's quite active. She has never been in direct contact with the male betta, so I'm thinking she's getting a little too much fiber in her diet.
>>
>>2656477
In my school of 10 Harlequin Rasboras, 2 of them are always bloated like that. They don't have dropsy, they don't behave any differently, they've had it ever since I've owned them for months... not sure if they're eggbound or just deformed.
>>
>>2656500
I can't speak on nutritional value because I don't fucking know what's even good for people food, but apparently it's quite nutritious.

I do find that my fish prefer Hikari food for the taste. I prefer it cause it's easier to find at just about any Petco/LFS. One thing I do like about Bug Bite is that they sink faster than Micro Pellets, which gives my lower-swimming tetras and cories a chance to eat.
>>
File: bettas.png (791 KB, 997x716)
791 KB
791 KB PNG
>>2656779
Two of mine were fat. The top fish was showing signs of lethargy, so I put her in a tank with antibiotics because I had two other fish that were sick. All three seem to be doing better, but I really got to get in there and inspect them and make sure that they are healed.
>>
>>2656645
Protip: use lunch breaks

Also really depends on your bosses attitude towards animals.
>>
File: IMG_20180412_140022.jpg (2.76 MB, 4128x3096)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB JPG
Little fucks are too movey to get better pics but got myself a school of babby embers.
>>
File: stripeynoodles.jpg (131 KB, 951x286)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
So im thinking of setting up a tank like this

>one oranda
>one ranchu
>three dojo loach
>pool filter sand substrate
>2-3 amazon swords
>40 gallon breeder
>trickle box filter

I just watched a video on those filters and it seems pretty easy to do but how effective are they? Could they handle the waste load from two goldfish that will get huge soon? Anyone else have one?
>>
>>2657088
im not sure that is a big enough tank for 5 big fish
>>
>>2657133
aqadvisor said its okay as long as my filtration is good. I know aqadv isnt the most accurate but I thought it was known for underestimating tank capacity, not over.

Im curious though, what would be better for stocking these fish?
>>
>>2657160
personally i would go with a 75 but its your tank i mean as long as your water parameters are in order it doesnt really matter
>>
>>2657166
that's a lot larger than I was planning on. Well maybe I can find one for cheap
>>
File: 20180412_173346.jpg (920 KB, 2560x1440)
920 KB
920 KB JPG
>>2657088
Amazon swords are a bad choice.
Both fish will dig in sand, and sand itself doesn't have enough nutrients for heavy root feeders like swords. With these kinds of fish, stick with anubias/javafern/buce tied to driftwood and stones. That's how my goldfish tank is setup, minus substrate entirely.

Other than that, the tank size is a little tight for them. 40 is the minimum for 2 fancy goldfish alone, so go at least 55 to squeeze in the loaches... 75 preferred.
>>
>>2657175
you can get one half-off at petsmart right now but keep an eye out on craigslist and facebook marketplace. that is just what i would do you dont have to just do a lot of research before you get the fish.
>>
>>2657177
Shit rotated phone pics...
Anyway that's my little buddy who had a really bad case of ich last week. Raising temps tp 78F, 30% water changes, and dosing Ich-X daily for 5 days did the trick. It was even safe for his dojo loach roommate. Keeping an eye on him for another week to make sure the ich isn't just in its dormant phase.
>>
Anyone here grow Aldrovonda?

Can you drop some wisdom here?
>>
>>2657193
>put that shit in water
>watch it grow
>>
>tfw these shrimp would rather eat my plants than a nice people of blanched broccoli
>>
File: rotting shit.jpg (2.05 MB, 3864x2898)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
I should probably remove this stuff, right? Since the shrimp don't want to eat it.
>>
Doesn't look like much now but I'm picking up this 75 gallon tank tomorrow for dirt cheap. I'll be trasfering 3 mollies and 4 tetras into this tank and using my 20 gallon for guppies. My husband very much wants Angelfish, his only request. Would 3 Angelfish be okay? Also what else makes good tank mates? Ive been looking at the loach and rainbow shark? Would they be okay? This will be a heavily planted tank, think I'm more excited about planting it then I am with stocking with fish. Recommendations on good reasonably priced plants? How many plants for a 75 gallon tall?
>>
>>2657256
Christ, if that looked like my broccoli, I wouldn't eat it either.
>>
>>2657342
which kind of loach? Dojo? Regardless most loaches you should get at least 3, but they should all be fine with those fish in a 75. The rainbow shark should be fine too as long as its the only one.
>>
>>2657355
I thought shrimp liked the slimy stuff like that.
>>
I was going to do golden dojos and yeah im just going to get a bigger tank. Save up a bit and get a 100 gallon

Im still curious about wet/dry trickle filters if anyone has ever used one. Im curious about their filtration capacity considering goldfish in general are waste machines
>>
File: IMG_4688.jpg (57 KB, 800x600)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>2657375
This one looks like it has pretty good capacity.
>>
>>2657395
Yeah that looks good, I'm gonna build something like that tomorrow to replace my filter sock.
>>
File: Dried-shrimp-salad-2.jpg (188 KB, 600x800)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>2657204
Itty bitty cutie shrimps. I want to crunch and munch on them.
>>
>>2657408
east azn plz go
>>
>>2657256
nigga why would leave any food at all in your tank for more than a day? That's gross
>>
File: 1517569461534.jpg (58 KB, 648x448)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>Bid on something on aquabid
>only person to bid
>8 hour wait for auction to end

This was a mistake
>>
>>2657494
I thought the shrimp would eventually eat it. I'm going to take it out today.
>>
>>2657593
The broccoli was floating when I woke up this morning so I was able to easily remove it.
No pic since it won't upload.
>>
>>2657497
What are you bidding on?
>>
>>2657601
some moscow black guppies. Unfortunately for me, I didnt know what 'reserve not met' meant until after the auction. Stayed up all night for nothing
>>
why the fuck are there three /aq/'s??

what do you guys think about these cheap-o lights? I wanted to get two of these for a 6.5 semi-hex I have lying around that I wanted to grow dwarf sag in, would this be enough?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183056480644

alternatively I have an 18in fluorescent tube fixture I could get get an aquarium tube for
>>
>>2657644
dwarf sag will fucking grow in ambient light, its so easy. If you're trying for a carpet though then nah that wont wont

The fluorescent light might be better but i'd get a stronger fixture if I was going for a carpet
>>
>>2657644
There's discord/anti-discord bullshittery afoot. Ignore it and hope they all shut the fuck up.
>>
>>2657643
Damn I was going to bid on them as well to make your day just a bit more interesting but since 4chan was FUCKED this morning I didn't get a chance to.
>>
File: cherry barbs.jpg (1.28 MB, 2576x1932)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
I may have just bought 20 cherry barbs.
>>
My apple snail just layed some eggs this morning!
>>
>>2657657
sorry mate but im poor. If anyone had outbid me, that'd have been it. I bid the maximum amount that I could actually afford to spend. And well it turns out no one outbid me for a reason
>>
All 3 of my conchids are dead. It wasn't my fault.

The big boy was a straight bitch nigga that died from overeating or some shit. He was actually really healthy and active but he became frantic after a water change and was found floating dead the day after

The second conchid was weak and always destined for failure. It didn't eat much, got bullied a lot, and resigned itself to hanging out in the corner of the aquarium. It developed that organ dysfunction where it can't maintain itself upright and ended up getting bounced around lifelessly by the flow of the water pump. Had to flush it down the toilet so it could die with some dignity

The third one is technically still alive but he hasn't moved in a few days and wont eat
>>
>>2657680
Are you fucking dumb?
>>
>>2657687
they deserved it
>>
>>2657675
GROSS
>>
>>2657675
grats anon
what are you going to do with them all once they hatch?
>>
I saw one of those fungus gnat looking flys fall into my tank and then one of my platys decided to eat it. Will my platy be ok?
>>
>>2657715
yeah of course you should throw some more live food in there for them to eat they would probably enjoy it
>>
>>2657707
I'll probably keep them and when they grow up enough I'll sell some of them
>>
I was just going to the pond and use my cast net to catch some fishes and stuff.
Now that i read OP i don't know what to do.
>>
>>2657783
what do u mean
>>
File: IMG_20180413_211859580.jpg (3.37 MB, 3375x3729)
3.37 MB
3.37 MB JPG
Got all this shit today for 12 bucks. Local pet store going out of business so everything was on sale.
>>
>>2656500
My 2 bettas fucking LOVE this shit.

Its stinky as fuck, also tiny as fuck, like 1/4 the size of the smallest Omega One betta pellet if you get the small fish size.

I saw it on Jewtube and decided to grab a bottle at the local PetShmo.
>>
Are there any inverts that won't get destoryed by oscars? I'm pretty sure I just leanred the hard way that even baby oscars can eat fiddler crabs, although I haven't thoroughly searched yet.
>>
>>2657342
6 angels would be okay but be prepared to get to get rid of 4 of them once a pair has formed. Angels are notoriously aggressive fish once sexually mature. Loach should be fine but skip the rainbow.
>>
I don't like the betta fish that I have.

I was thinking about putting him back in his walmart cup and just taking him back and putting him on the shelf.

Do you think I might get caught?
>>
>>2657891
why not just put an ad up on craigslist or some such? If he's free, someone will come get him
>>
File: 1523688559139412242204.jpg (1.66 MB, 2400x3200)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB JPG
>post yfw people keep valuable aquarium decor in front of their houses
>>
>>2657896
nice

I used to have a neighbor that lined their ungated front yard with white stone beach pebbles. Wish i'd grabbed some then
>>
File: 1523689484092-209132003.jpg (1.88 MB, 3200x2400)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
Any tips on repairing a HOB filter? I got a couple of these in one of the boxes from the auction last weekend. Turned on when I tested it, but I came home and it wasn't working.
>>
>>2657891
What's wrong with him?
>>
>>2657909
Once they kick the bucket, they become a bucket.
>>
>>2657914
No harm in taking it apart and inspecting it then.
I have a second one that is almost the same, hopefully that one works.
>>
File: light.jpg (66 KB, 720x960)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
Would you guys say that these bulbs are 22 inches or 34 inches? What is the widest (L) tank I would be able to put this on?
>>
>>2657909
if you tested it dry it may have destroyed it.

1. fill it with water and plug it in. See if that fixes it.
2. unplug it, remove the water intake tube and inspect the impeller housing under the tube for cracks. If it looks good next stick a pen or toothpick into the impeller housing and manually rotate the impeller fins. If the impeller turns with no resistance at all disassemble the impeller housing and check to see if the impeller is stripped. Replace as needed. If it turns with some resistance refill the filter, replace the inlet tube and plug it in.
3. if it still doesn't work plug it in, remove the intake tube, and GENTLY prod the impeller fins with a pen or stick. This may cause it to start.
4. if none of this works, unplug, drain, disassemble the impeller housing and check the impeller, impeller shaft, impeller shaft bearings, and impeller casing for damage. Replace parts as needed. In most cases parts cost more than the filter is worth or can't be found, so if the casing is bad it's usually best to just trash it.
>>
>>2657932
>GENTLY prod the impeller fins with a pen or stick.
when you do this only prod the tops of the impeller fins, and be ready to pull the stick back as soon as it starts to spin. Otherwise you will break it when it starts.

Don't poke the stick between the fins, just use it to push the top side of the fin a bit so that if the thing starts spinning the stick can be pulled out quickly.
>>
>>2657932
>>2657934
When I tested it, I just plugged it in to see if it would turn on briefly, for 1-2 seconds.
I will follow your advice and see what happens. There were some loose impellers in the box, maybe the guy was going to replace this one and got lazy.
>>
I just noticed that my Apistogramma cacatuoides flare their gills aggressively similar to what a betta does, although not quite as mean looking.
>>
>>2657936
>When I tested it, I just plugged it in to see if it would turn on briefly, for 1-2 seconds.
that's all it takes.

most likely it's just jammed though, not broken
>>
>>2657946
So I plugged it in and pulled the tube out and it turned on. Put the tube back in and it stopped. Wiggled it a bit and now it is working. Hopefully it doesn't die on me, but I got at least 6 HOBs in my boxes o' stuff from the auction.
>>
>>2657948
yeah, keep an eye on it. It might stop. The other thing they do when they get like that is the won't re-start if the power goes off.

the tube affecting the way it runs probably means a cracked impeller housing. Either that or the tube is actually hitting the impeller and stopping it.
>>
Is 2 kessil a360we enough for a 90 gallon?
>>
>>2657957
tell us more about the 90 gallon
>>
>>2657788
About the filters and oxinators stuff where i live there's no big markets.
>>
>>2658051
u can order online for supplies u need
>>
>>2657896
got some sweet red lava rock that way
>>
Reposting my plant growing station from the other dead thread

I’m curious as how to well this purple “plant” LED flood light will preform on the plants and windelov java fern in the small tank
>>
>>2658148
I grew up in Central Oregon and that shit was quite literally everywhere. There was a huge butte that had been mined for decades for the cinder. It was called Cinder Butte. But there is almost none of it where I live now. I haven't seen the red stuff used in a tank yet.
>>
>>2658160
Use the stuff in this tank if it’s looks familiar
>>
>>2658151
i used one of those in a bud growing setup it did alright but i ended up upgrading to a real grow light for flowering 400watts
>>
>>2658166
Looks great! Over there we mainly used it for driveways and traction in the winter, but it was a much smaller grade than what you have there. I like those big pieces, going to have to reconsider using it.
>>
>>2657913
Nothing, I just don't like it.

Unfortunately walmarts return policy isn't any different for bettas, even though they are in their own water and won't get the other fish sick.
>>
>>2658193
Just post it to your local Craigslist, someone will come and take the betta from you for free. Better than risking getting harassed by the dumb asses at Wal-mart.
>>
File: IMG_2424.jpg (1.88 MB, 4032x3024)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
So I recently got some marimos (no bettas, I just like moss) and I've done some research and know the general care and such
>Change water every one or two weeks
>No direct sunlight
>Roll em around every so often to keep em round
But are there are protips for helping these little moss buddies grow big and powerful?
>>
>>2658207
>pro-tips
>give co2
>giver ferts
>take the lid off that jar so more light gets in
>watch them grow
>>
>>2658211
>>take the lid off that jar
There are a lot of somewhat large holes in it, its basically a mesh screen at this point. I only have it on so my cats don't try to fish my moss boys out of there.
>Give ferts
I've got some standard liquid plant fertilizer for my lilies, would a drop or two in their water do it or do they need something more specialized?
>>
>>2658215
i think whatever fertilizer you normally use in your aquariums should be fine. the moss balls are really slow growers though and ive never heard of rolling them around to keep their shape
>>
>>2657969
Plan is primarily soft corals and maybe some LPS.
>>
>>2658225
>ive never heard of rolling them around to keep their shape
If you've got bettas you don't need to worry about it since the bettas roll them around for fun, but as they sit in a static position for long enough they'll flatten out slowly. In lakes they keep round by tidal action moving them about.
>>
File: image.jpg (1009 KB, 3264x2448)
1009 KB
1009 KB JPG
Can’t beat the thrift stores!

Great for my nano tanks
>>
File: image.jpg (1.4 MB, 3264x2448)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
Figured i needed another regular light with the purple plant one so i rigged up another !
>>
>>2658351
5 bucks what a steal!
>>
>>2658197
I'm far too lazy for that anon.
>>
>>2658476
So I fell for the petco dollar per gallon sale and have a new 20 gallon high I'm cycling and I realized I have no clue what I want to put in it.
I already have 2 bettas in a divided 10 gallon, so no more of those please.
>>
>>2658481
Oops, didn't mean for that be a response.
>>
>>2658368
Excluding the fact that you look like you live in some dungeon in an abandoned military base, I should try shelving a tank and putting a smaller one on top like that
>>
>>2658476
It takes almost zero effort and you won't have to put up with that fish any more.
>>
I feel like I made a real amateur mistake. I added 4 Bloody Mary shrimp to my cherry shrimp tank.
>>
>>2658540
you'll either get shit cherries or some really cool looking maries
>>
File: savage red female.jpg (78 KB, 960x720)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>2658553
I heard they will make something called Savage Reds, or sometimes clear or even yellow or possibly wild types... We will have to wait and see.
>>
>>2658564
I wonder if you can make a purple cherries by breeding bloodies with blues
>>
>>2658571
That’s not usually how genetics works
>>
File: post-24-139909858683.jpg (49 KB, 640x480)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>2658571
I'm not sure, but it does look like there are purple neos just not exactly sure how they came to be.
>>
>>2658207
I just bought one of these. Pretty neat.
>>
>>2658574
blue shell over red guts - purple, no? What would prevent this from happening?
>>
lmao the discord /aq/ got deleted
lads have we won the war?
>>
Based mods
>>
File: 1491277759729.jpg (716 KB, 4032x2268)
716 KB
716 KB JPG
I just finished making gel food for my goldfish. Seems fairly easy but I wonder if you can add too much water to the mix. I added enough for it to blend properly but no idea is I overdid it

Ill post pics once the mix sets
>>
>>2658673
Have you ever made actual Jell-o before? If so, how does it compare to that?
>>
>>2658679
I use gelatin pretty frequently. When I manke things from gelatin its usually orange juice, coffee or milk-based. The gel food I just made was or course thicker since there's vegetables and tuna in it but I worry the food should be more dense

I dont want to be feeding my fish huge quantities of empty gelatin with not as much nutrient per bite as she'd get in regular fish food
>>
>>2658683
Well you can always experiment with the next batch. Did you blend it all together or just chop the ingredients?
>>
>>2658689
blender. It'll be awhile for the next batch though. What I just made is enough for half a year
>>
File: 1523762660947624642258.jpg (1.77 MB, 3200x2400)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
Looks too big to put in... do I just drop this leaf in or what?
>>
>>2658691
Damn! How many pounds of ingredients did you use? What did you use for the molds? You mentioned "she", what kind of fish is she?
>>
File: Maru.jpg (120 KB, 1200x900)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>2658697
it was approximately a pound not counting water weight. No molds, I just poured the mix into a ziplock bag and laid it flat so the mix will be about 1/4 inch thick that i'll just break pieces off of

This is my girl, Maru. I plan on getting another one once I get a bigger tank
>>
>>2658708
da hell, she no look like circle
>>
>>2658716
I know but Tamago isnt really a cute sounding name
>>
>>2658481
Make a huge school of somekind of microfish. Like Celestial Pearl Danios or some variety of Microdevari
>>
>>2658719
tamohiki
>>
>>2658708
How big is your tank right now? I wasnt aware that goldfish ate tuna.
>>
>>2658723
a name to consider for my next one for sure

>>2658725
ive posted it before but she's currently in a 16.5 gallon sterilite container. I was going to pick up a 40 gallon breeder recently but >>2657088 I need a bigger tank than that for what I had in mind

My understanding is that tuna isnt the best because of potential mercury but fish meat in general is fine. Frankly I can't think of a thing that goldfish wont eat though
>>
One of my old cherry barbs was having trouble swimming yesterday. It looked like he was hopping. Today he is sitting on the bottom of the aquarium. What can I do to help him? Is there anything I can treat him with?
>>
>>2658765
I'm going to QT the fish and treat him with amoxicillin. It is the only broad-spectrum antibiotic that I have.
>>
>>2658586
Well I wasn’t accounting for the layering of colored things, but that would still only produce purple if you shined a light all the way through so that the colors mixed. With normal light interactions (light bouncing off and back) you’ll probably just get blue since the blue transparent layer will want to filter out the red light bouncing back through it. Try to look at blue objects through a red film, they become invisible.
>>
>>2658207
Marimo Guy again, I wanted to give my moss guys as much access to good light as possible so I used some cutters to cut the top out of their jar lid and then shaped a strainer around the top and glued it down. Should give them maximum light while keeping cats from drinking their water and poking at them for fun.
>>
I saw a sign at my LFS today that read something like this:
"Ohko/Dragon Stone contains COPPER
Do NOT use in an aquarium with inverts including: shrimp, snails, or crawfish"
WTF? I thought ohko stone was one of the most common rocks in a shrimp tank. I have a tank with ohko stone in it and it has MTS, but I haven't seen any dead ones. So what gives?
>>
File: pickle-jar.jpg (1.27 MB, 1556x2098)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>2658798
You need at least 1 gallon to house marimo. Anything less is just cruel.
>>
>>2658811

>>2658810
Heard the copper being toxic thing was a myth. Ferts and food already has copper in it. Chances are your tap water has trace amounts of it already. High concentrations would definitely kill them, but they'd probably also kill your fish.

>>2658811
AH SHIT SON I LOVE MT. OLIVE
>>
>>2658811
Then my ingenuity is wasted. I’ll replace their vessel with something suitably big. I want them to have a nice c02 rich environment.

I was under the impression that somewhat small vessels would do well enough since people often buy Marimo for their Betta fish, which folks often have in relatively small aquariums.
>>
>>2658811
>>2658816
You don't need a fucking gallon of water for some fucking algae bruh. Just make sure it has feet and keep it out of sunlight. The tank shills are out tonight.
>>
>>2658816
It's actually one gallon PER marimo, just FYI
>>
File: 1507402595211.gif (414 KB, 498x372)
414 KB
414 KB GIF
>>2656459
>be me, new in the Aquarium scene
>Want some clams in my freshwater 5.5 gallon
planted aquarium
>it already has 7 ghost shrimp and 4 mystery snails in it
>order 15 online assuming they're small as fuck
>they get here without any casualties, the size of dollar coins
>think I could make it work, put eight in the 5.5 gallon with space between them and put the rest in a smaller 3 gallon tank while I figure out what the fuck to do with them. Drop some extra algae pellets in the tank and call it good.
>before going to bed see many of the shrimp freaking out, all the snails sitting right by the surface
>do a quick google search
>oxygen depletion
>FuckMe.jpg
>it's 4 am, have shit to do in the morning, plan to do water change first thing and pray for the best

>next day
>MFW one of the shrimp are dead
>MFW the water's filthy
>I fucking loved that shrimp too
>I do an emergency water change, almost all of it cleaned out and replaced in 3 hours because I only have two 1 gallon buckets and need to wait an hour to de-chlorinate the only fucking tap water I have to work with
>take a bunch of old 20 oz. plastic water bottles, cut off the tops, fill the bottom with gravel, and put one clam in each as well as green plant trimmings hoping it'd be enough to keep the clams alive until I know what the fuck to do with them.
>leave 2 clams in the 5.5 gal and 3 gal
>water change one more time to oxygenate the fuck out of the aquariums
>it's now 2 am and the shrimp and snails have calmed down
>clams are cozy
>probably gonna water change again tomorrow

d-did I do good, /aq/?
>>
>>2658840
Also I'd like to add I'd prefer to put all the clams in a tank so it's more humane but I am poor as fuck so the bottles will have to do for now
>>
>>2658840
>freshwater mussels
Oh shit nigger, what are you doing?

You know you need to have plankton to feed these fuckers, right? Like green water and brine naupuli?
>>
>>2658842
motherfucker I did my research. I don't need plankton. they filter feed the algae and algae pellet debris from the water. I'm not that retarded
>>
>>2658842
And I'm going to start up an algae farm to feed them some of that sweet green water.
>>
>>2658840
ur a dumb fck m8
try shaking the bottle of water with the lid closed open up and repeat until udont smell chlorine anymore
also ur clams are gonna die maybe do some fckin research next time
>>
>>2658848
I used dechlorinated water in those water bottles you brilliant specimen of a human being
>>
>>2658849
ur the brilliant specimen here m8
y does it take u an hour to dechlorinate ur water? get some fckin prime. or do like i said and shake it in the jug it will take u minutes instead of an hour per gallon lol
also y the fck dont u have an airstone in ur aquariums?
>>
>>2658840
Your greentext is atrocious and you deserve whatever ill befalls you for being such a supreme imbecile.
>>
>>2658851
Don't got a jug. Only a bucket, and I need gallons anyways since I was taking care of everything at once. The plants were supposed to work fine until I discovered clams are oxygen-greedy fucks

>>2658852
fuck you it's been months since I've written a greentext
>>
>>2658853
>be you
>forget how to greentext
>execute a poorly written essay instead
>>
>>2658858
>Well now I'm just gonna keep greentexting this way just so you can get buttmad about non-white text formatting
>>
>>2658853
r u a 3rd worlder by chance?
>>
>>2658860
I'd ask you the same thing with your toddler-level spelling
>>
>>2658859
>Do what you want.
>>
>>2658861
just answer the question m8 im just trying to figure out y u r so unprepared for ur aquariums
>>
>>2658844
>>I did my research
>*stuffs half a lb of extra animal biomass in a 5.5 gal*
>"That'll go swimingly"
2 hours later
>"O shid"
>>
>>2658866
lol
>>
>>2658862
>ok cool thanks

>>2658865
>>2658866
I did my research. Turns out it wasn't enough research. also lol.
>>
>>2658869
im not talking about research but supplies
>>
>>2658873
I was prepared, my shrimp and snails were happy before the clams came in. I just wasn't prepared for how big the clams were, holy shit.
>>
>>2658875
dollar coin sized clams doesnt sound very big how about u post some pics of these large clams next to a dollar coin?
>>
>>2658879
I would but I don't have a dollar coin. My point is they're way bigger than I thought and frankly I'd rather keep them in bottles with substrate and light than just toss them out and go 'oops'.

if I can keep them alive then I'm gonna do all I can goddamn it.
>>
Can you use CO2 and Excel or is it redundant or just a bad idea or what?
>>
>>2658881
well just take a picture of them next to any coin then that will have the same effect
>>
File: fishies 2.jpg (615 KB, 1000x664)
615 KB
615 KB JPG
I used to have these fat fucks nearly 10 years ago. The brown ranchu eventually turned pure orange and got to the size of a baseball. But one day he seemingly died out of nowhere.
>>
>>2658884
RIP
>>
Threadly reminder to only keep 1 merits snail or else your tank will be covered in disgusting hard to peel off nerite eggs
>>
>>2658840
anon jesus christ you have no idea what you're doing. No plants are not enough to oxygenate a tank
>>
>>2658903
i only have one nerite snail and I get eggs anyway though it took me awhile to notice because she only lays eggs on white things
>>
Is there any plant that goldfish will not uproot and eat or do I just set up a celestial aquarium because the inbred fucks can't do anything?

>Silk plants
>>
>>2657160
overstocked. Ranchu needs double fish water quality and everything else will have you changing water weekly to keep up.
>>
>>2658961
People tend to underestimate how much space do goldfish need. Even fancy varieties will need 100 gallons at least to fully develop, and that's space for 5 fish tops.
I miss having them, I really liked my red cap orandas and black moors, even if I had to be extra careful with the decoration.
>>
>>2658903
They only lay eggs in brackish water which means your parameters are shit.
>what is a water change.
Also
>assassin snail get
>>
>>2658936
Pothos growing up out of the water.
>>
>>2658989
>They only lay eggs in brackish water which means your parameters are shit.
Wow how new are you to the hobby?

They lay eggs in both totally fresh and brackish. The eggs only HATCH in brackish.
>>
How to set up and decorate a tank for freshwater crabs? The guys I'm thinking of getting are 5cm long at most.
>>
>>2659028
10 gallon tank with a area for land that they can climb up to but not so high that they can escape
>>
>>2658494
It also takes zero effort to just leave him on the shelf because I go down there constantly
>>
>>2659021
No. Just new to snails.
>>
>>2659127
Take a pic of him now and then one when you put him back on the shelf it would be kind of lulzy
>>
Warning: Soapbox vent and math

How much water are people changing when they do water changes? I see people that do like 20% and I don't get the point of even doing them at that point.

Say it takes a week to build up 40ppm nitrates. Even though it's unrealistic, we'll start at zero. So the first week you get 40. You change 20% of the water, and that takes out 8 ppm and leaves you with 32.

40 >>>> 20% >>>> 32

Next week you've built up another 40ppm but this time it's on top of the prior 32, so you're now at 72. You change 20% of the water. That removes 14ppm and leaves you with 58.

72 >>>> 20% >>>> 58
98 >>>> 20% >>>> 80
120 >>>> 20% >>> 96
136 >>>> 20% >>> 109

See how it just builds up and up and up? Maybe some fish tough through it or get "used" to it and survive, but the aren't thriving and if you bring home new fish they're going to croak real quick. Unless your tank is both WHOA planted and whoa understocked, this is not sustainable without eventually having crazy high nitrates. Plus if you have detritus and mulm in your filter because you don't change the water much so you don't clean the filters much either, that's another source for ammonia which adds to high nitrates.

Now say you try that again with larger water changes. First week you get 40, change 50% of the water. You're left with 20.

Next week you get 60. You change 80% of the water and you're left with 12.

52 >>> 80% >>> 11
51 >>> 75% >>>> 13
53 >>> 75% >>>> 13
etc.

Change the water. Change a lot of it. Do it often. Thank you for your time.
>>
>>2659224
your math is correct in principle but in practice almost nobody has a tank that produces 40ppm nitrate in a week.

not even close.
>>
File: IMG_0876.jpg (1.56 MB, 2201x2249)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
Female German Blue Ram with bloating issues. She ate last night but she was bloated, but not quite as bloated. I thought she was going to breed so I separated the male and female last night, but they did not breed. I don't think it is dropsy as her scales are not pineconing. What can I do? Currently treating her in a QT tank for ~15-30 minutes with epsom salt bath in case of constipation. Any other treatment I should consider?
>>
>>2659287
Three days ago, I skipped feeding. Then two days ago, I fed two cubes of frozen brine shrimp to the tank instead of one. I noticed the bloating the next day, so it is very possible that she just ate too much. I really hope that is the case.
>>
>>2659292
I just pulled her from the bath and she didn't shit.
>>
>>2658978
>Even fancy varieties will need 100 gallons at least to fully develop, and that's space for 5 fish tops

are you saying 100 gallons is enough for one fancy goldfish but also 5 fancy goldfish?
>>
>>2659287
peas are good for constipation
>>
>>2659193
I just took him to the LFS.

I was mostly fucking with you guys anyway. I'm not cruel.

The only reason I got him anyway was because aome asshat had dumped a fuckton of food into his little bowl and the employees were just like "well I don't take care of the fish, therefore I can't be bothered to clean it"

Poor dude was aitting in filthy water and bloated to the point of popping.

I honestly should have just stolen him, but whatever. Two bucks to save a fish.

The lady at the LFS is pretty reaponsible with her animals, he'll go to a good home.

In the mean time, I'll be searching for driftwood and an aquarium plant that looks similar to cherry blossoms.
>>
>>2659340
>an aquarium plant that looks similar to cherry blossoms.

mosquito fern turns pink on very high light
>>
>>2659343
Eh...I might have to get a fake decoration.

I want something to submerge. Trying to go for a zen like look on this little structure that I have in the middle of the tank.
>>
I am upgrading my 10 gallon fowlr to a 30 gallon fowlr. However sand is pretty expensive. However, now I've read about barebottom tanks and I like the benefits they provide. Only problem is they aren't good if you want a stable ph. Is there anyway I can keep my ph stable in a barebottom tank?
>>
>>2659395
>However sand is pretty expensive

a 50 pound bag of pool filter sand is $10 or less depending on where you live. You can go to homedepot and get a 50 lb bag of paversand or playsand for like $4. Hell hit up your local landscaping shop or go to your local riverbed for FREE sand. Sand is probably the least expensive thing you can buy for an aquarium
>>
>>2659395
Sand isnt expensive if you use pool sand.
>>
>>2659410
>>2659412
I like live sand but I really think a bare bottom tank sounds like a good idea

>easier to clean
>more room for a larger water volume

only con is I will have to get rid of my sand sifting goby.

but beside the expenses, how would I balance ph in a fowlr saltwater tank with no sand as buffer?
>>
>>2659415
Bare bottoms look like shit imo.
I think you can put crushed coral in your filter to help pH but not 100% sure.
>>
>>2658840
I told you not to get clams, but you didn't listen. . .
>>
bare bottom looks autistic unless you’re doing coral
>>
Comparison of my reef from like 1.5 months ago to now. I just realized how shit my tank looked a while ago
>>
>>2659429
damn how many gallons is that?
>>
>>2659435
My tank is 66 gallons, but that specific area is actually pretty small.

Also today as I was adjusting my coral because a frag fell of the crab began eating dead skin off me
>>
I just found a stock tank for really cheap. It's 75 gallons. My plan originally was this >>2657088
but would I ever even see the dojos since the tank is black and i'd be looking down into it?
>>
>>2659440
Why would you be looking down into the tank? Is it painted or what? Like a stock tank at a live fish place? One reason you get an aquarium in the first place is to enjoy the beauty of the inside of it so I don't think you would like it very much.
>>
File: 300galrubbermaid.jpg (63 KB, 640x480)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>2659463
a stock tank like what's used to provide water to cows and horses. Enjoying the goldfish wont be an issue since they hang near the top anyway. But loach are bottom feeders and iirc dont have a reason to come to the top unless they're really friendly
>>
File: 75g horse water.jpg (151 KB, 900x506)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>2659467
I think its a bad idea myself. I wouldn't do it. I can see the appeal of it being cheap, but I enjoy looking into my aquariums too much to go with something like this. How will you see the loach dance when a storm is approaching unless you use a traditional aquarium?
>>
>>2657715
What do you think they eat in the wild??
>>
What do you guys think about this stocking?
>>
>water is noticeably orange from Rachel O'leary's hair pin plant holder trick
Thanks a lot!
>>
>>2659594
I think you need 6 khulis in a group for them to feel comfy.
>>
I added pothos to my tank as in roots in water and now my baby swordtails won’t stop nibbling at the root, should I be worried about the plant or fish?
>>
>>2659635
What's the trick? Did the water turn orange from rust? Also I don't trust her advice on anything, she hasn't been in the hobby that long.
>>
>>2659641
I've tried putting pothos into an open HOB, but the roots/stems just melted away and it didn't convert at all. Just stick with floating plants for the same effect.
>>
File: 1522590525605.jpg (53 KB, 720x720)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>Decide to dump money towards breeding fancy guppies.
>Buy 10g at petco sale. Go bare-bottomed for breeding purposes.
>Use extra sponge filter I have running in 40g guppy colony to cycle it instantly.
>Pick 4 good looking girls who are preggers and throw them in the 10g.
>3 days pass and no babies.
>Reason in my head I need a place to sort out the babies when they get big enough.
>Went and got a 20g Long, made separator for it, purchased two more sponge filters.
>Do some juggling.
>Now I have a 10g and a 20 long sitting on my dresser, in addition to the 29g Community in living room, 40g Breeder and 10g Blackwater in dining room.

I have a problem.
>>
>>2659652
Yes from rust. She said to use metal hair pins and bend them to hold plants down while they establish. Never trusting her again.
>>
File: guppy rack.jpg (70 KB, 960x540)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>2659671
You are like little girl with toes barely wet into guppy breeding.
>>
>>2659675
I use flat bottom marbles. Just place one near the root/bottom of each plantlet for a few days
>>
>>2659699
Good idea, I'm going to have to try that next time. Where did you get the marbles from?
>>
File: 20180415_225121-1.jpg (940 KB, 3208x1559)
940 KB
940 KB JPG
What should I stock this tank with?

10 gallons. The platform in the middle is going to have a fake bonsai tree, fake cherry blossom tree, or a small piece of driftwood and some java moss, with a small buddha statue sitting under.

The LFS has:

>Amanos
>Cherries
>Panda cories (personally think they'll get too big)
>Malaysian trumpet snail
>Nerites
>African Dwarf Frogs
>Neon Tetra
>Dwarf Rasboras

She has other fish too obviously, but I only listed the things I would be willing to put in here. I can ask her if she can get another species shipped in if anyone has suggestions.

I was really hoping for some of the pygmy cories and/or lambchop rasboras, but she doesn't have any at the moment.
>>
File: 15238584613242.jpg (1.09 MB, 3208x1559)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>2659719
>>
>>2659725
That's it. You've convinced me.

I need a piece of plastic sushi this instant!
>>
File: 20171010_221841.jpg (564 KB, 2322x1306)
564 KB
564 KB JPG
Rate my tank ya nerds
>>
>>2659716
you can get them at walmart in the fish section, Michael's, dollar tree etc etc . They're commonly used in vases and are also commonly called Vase Filler
>>
>>2659729
5/10, needs plastic sushi.

(In all seriousness, 9/10)
>>
>>2659729
5/10 because it is 1/2 full
what, were you in the middle of a water change and just had to show us your half empty tank?
>>
>>2659736
lower so I have to change less water at the end of week

>>2659733
thanks anon, I try
>>
>>2659652
she's been in the hobby for a long ass time, it's only recently that shes becomes famous. You can find her post on forums from years ago
>>
>>2659641
pothos is toxic to cats and dogs, I'd wouldn't risk it
>>
>>2659671
bruh i amassed 7 within 6 months lmao

fuggin doller per gallon sale

20 longs are the best
>>
>>2659751
I hate that line of thinking.

>Garlic is super healthy! Better feed it to my dog as tick and flea control!
>>
>>2659745
thats lazy and unattractive
>>
>>2659729
the condensation looks gross
>>
>>2659749
rachel plz go
>>
>>2659753
That's nothing. I have 10 I bought for 5 each.
>>
File: Sad futaba.png (184 KB, 872x632)
184 KB
184 KB PNG
>want to start a 20g long racking system
>live in an aprtment
i mean i already have a 60g and a 5g but i have some 20gl in storage
>>
>>2659770
bu.. butt... im the rachel
>>
File: 1521630797248.jpg (52 KB, 600x480)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>2659775
>20g long racking system
Fuck that we be amazing
>>
>>2659767
hadn't thought about that. thx
>>
Do guppies nip at plants? I have mollies and platies that will strip my plants clean if im late in feeding them but ive never had guppies
>>
>>2659792
Mine pick at the plants constantly but they don't actually eat the plant, just whatever is growing on it. They do the same thing to nearly every surface in the aquarium.
>>
>>2659794
do you have small soft leaf plants? Im worried mostly about my babytears
>>
>>2659796
No not in mine. They are an omnivore though and would probably nibble at something so small.
>>
Need help.

I heard Java Fern was supposed to be one of the easiest plants, but it's been melting for me. It's just attached to driftwood, at first with string but now it holds naturally. Dosing liquid ferts and DIY CO2. The strange thing is, I have the Windelov variety in the same tank, which is doing much better...

My only suspicion is is the massive amounts of Hornwort in the tank. A fast grower could outcompete a slow-grower. I removed all of it today and hopefully it gets better.

pH ~7.4
Temp 74F
Nitrates anywhere from 10-40ppm
>>
>>2659805
Only the old growth is melting or the new growth as well?
>>
>>2659719
i bunno something gay and boring like neon tetra+cherries
>>
Started weekly maintenance at 11pm PST last night. Just finished a few minutes ago. What a pain in the ass.
>>
>>2659897
WTF how many tanks do you have?
>>
>>2659792
My biggest problem with them is the same as with mollies - even if they don't really eat the plants, but just nip, they will do so enough that it uproots plants that aren't well-rooted yet (and even some that are, eventually). Sometimes it's not even them directly nipping the plant, it's them nipping at the substrate (I use eco-complete, which is pretty course).
>>
>>2659785
I thought about that for a while (not the guy you're replying to, however I have several 20g tanks in one of those garage racking systems), but in the end I'd rather have half the number of tanks of the 40g breeder variety.

Same water volume, but easier maintenance, plus way better stocking options.
>>
Aquariums are for fags
>>
File: futabathumbsup.jpg (55 KB, 571x442)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>2659785
>>2659922
you guys are lucky to be able to have a racking system. i probably could myself with 5 or 10 gallon racks but i dont want to risk getting in trouble with the landlord
>>
this is my lil betta, Ulysses. he's an asshole and has eaten 4 ghost shrimp.
tank is 2.5G, I've had him for about a month now, he's quiet happy, but a lil asshole.
anything y'all would recommend adding?
>>
File: 1522797233382.jpg (34 KB, 551x551)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>2659979
>2.5G
>>
>>2659981
poorfag college kid, don't have much room. he's my desk-mate.
>>
>>2659989
huh guess youre right
you are a fag
>>
File: minimum size.webm (2.78 MB, 520x360)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
>>2659981
>>
>bought a head of lettuce form the supermarket for my turtle
>rinsed it out to get the dirt off and clipped one leaf in the tank
>later discovered there were aphids on the leaf
>rest of the lettuce had aphids on it too
>fish in the tank began devouring them

Is this bad for the fish?
I'm not too concerned for the turtle, she'll eat anything and they're far too small for her to purposely munch on them anyway
>>
>>2660070
No, this is a good food source for many fish.

>>2659949
My apartment complex has a "no pets" policy, but I asked anyway, and they were fine with fish, thus the racking system. Point of the story is just ask. Your landlord may surprise you. So many people on this board complain that their landlord MAY not like a big fish tank, yet so few have actually asked.

Keep your aquarium aspirations reasonable though. Don't ask for some ridiculous 120g in a tiny ass 400 sq ft studio.
>>
2 different kinds of fish in two separate tanks developed swim bladder issues meaning certain death

fukken suckssxx
>>
>>2659907
Right now I have 8 running but I have more but they are empty.
>>
Tips on growing and selling aquarium plants?

Right now I’m currently trying to grow S repens and windelov java fern

I’m dosing ferts in both and CO2 for the repens

Is it worth the time and effort? Looking for a nice semi-passive income opportunity
>>
>>2660216
Stop posting new threads before the old one dies. General threads shouldn't be reposted until the old general thread has hit the autosage limit and has fallen to page 10.
>>
>>2658831
No bro, the autistic retards who can' take a joke are out tonight. (You)
>>
10 gallon for a betta yes or no?
>>
>>2660324
Yes yes yes, way better than the little "tanks" people try to cram them into. Let your bro have his little fishy mansion.
>>
>>2656525
awesome! i have 6 serpaes im having a hard time finding tank makes for them besides my black neon tetras and my cherry barbs. They bullied my neons pretty badly until I removed them for another tank.

what is stocked in that tank?
>>
FUCKING SCUDS
Saw one clinging onto a shrimplet, eating it alive. Tried to save him but I couldn't find him after. Relocated all of my shrimp out of that tank and gonna trash the old one. Not gonna take any chances.
>>
>>2660333
How does it feel to get your wish? Now I'm hoping people can stick with it. Also, this guy is right y'all >>2660243 Don't make another fucking general too early.
>>
>>2660431
Do they even attack larger shrimp?
>>
>>2660453
I heard if they're hungry they can attack adults that have recently molted.
>>
>>2660484
that's amazing
>>
>>2660484
Didn't know that!
>>
>>2660070
Your fish should be fine, but monitor it.
>>
>>2660195
As long as you are fine with cleaning the tank out.
>>
>>2659926
Terraniums are awesome. Wish there were more of them.
>>
>>2660324
I know you're not being serious, but a ten gallon environment is awful for a betta fish. 30 gal minimum
>>
>>2659979
He's great!
>>
>>2659719
You're likely long gone, but I would keep with a minimalist touch. Pebbles on the surface. A little fake tree is a good idea.
>>
>>2659594
Neon tetras are nice too.
>>
>>2660453>>2660505
>>2660484
I've kept colonies for fish food, but they are definitely not compatible with decorative shrimp, especially wimpy RCSs and other Cardinia/Neocardinias, and they'll threaten you plants if you don't have shrimp eating fish your tank.
>>
>>2660535
You need more than just that though. Don't be a cheapfag.
>>
>>2660542
I'm not a cheapfag
>>
>>2660551
Yes you are if you're trying to be "minimalist" or whatever the fuck that means.
>>
>>2660535
I'm still here.
>>2660542
Oh I'm being a cheapfag, what you gonna do bout it?
>>
Guys I want to upgrade my Betta and minnows to a huge 60g tank. There living in 10g right now. Do I use a sump for this big a tank. I want a huge ass tank. And how do I do the real dirt for the tank without it going black.
>>
>>2660553
>>2660628
It's not my fault I'm poor.
>>
>>2660644
Why do you want to upgrade to a 60 gal for just one Betta? That's overkill.
>>
all posts related to that which will not be named got deleted

very strange
>>
>>2660670
Yes strange indeed. Perhaps the report feature does work.
>>
>>2660644
You don't need a sump, you can do a hang on back filter but I would go with a canister filter. Your substrate depends on your budget. You can do certain types of potting soil with a cap of sand, just sand, etc.. but it really depends on how much you want to spend. You will need at least 60lbs of substrate for a 60 gallon aquarium.
>>
Why the fuck is my sword still stunted?

I have Osmocote plus in my substrate(floramax), EI dosing and CO2. 140 PAR light. The sword has died back to only 1-2 inch leaves and it's been months of very slow growth. I renewed the Osmocote like 3 months back so it should still be good. What more does this plant need?
>>
File: fish.jpg (78 KB, 640x480)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
What else can I put in this simple little tank? It's my first time keeping fish so I just got a couple cheap feeder goldfish to start. Do I need snails and some kind of tank cleaning sucker fish?
>>
>>2660746
First, you gotta get rid of the goldfish. They get much much too big and more pond fish than for tanks and they're cold water. Then get a heater, some more decor for cover, and a single betta instead. A couple of nerite snails would be okay if you want something to go with the betta.
>>
>>2660750
How quickly do they get big? If they are cold water why would I get a heater?
>>
>>2660746
Feeder goldfish should be kept in tanks no smaller than 40 gallons. They exhale ammonia at such a rate that goldfish require something like double the filtration of other fish. Goldfish also constantly shed growth inhibiting hormones which stunt the fish into early death so you want as much water volume as possible to diffuse this hormone between water changes. Goldfish live 20-30 years and are supposed to grow to well over a foot. In a pond, even larger. They arent actually good first time fish.

>>2660756
goldfish ARE coldwater fish, anon is saying to get a heater for the betta you should get instead since bettas need temps at 78-80 ish F
>>
File: goldfish_size_chart.jpg (42 KB, 660x404)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>
>>2660763
What other options are there than a beta? I think they look goofy. I don't care for the big floppy fins.
>>
>>2660766
https://absolutelyfish.com/11-freshwater-nano-fish-for-your-aquarium/
>>
File: El-Diablo-Guppies.jpg (35 KB, 461x250)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>2660766
also look up guppies. Male guppies are really nice looking and are pretty friendly. No females though, they breed faster than fucking mice
>>
File: 20180416_230842-1.jpg (1016 KB, 3084x1621)
1016 KB
1016 KB JPG
I swear to god anon, if you put another piece of sushi in my tank...

>>2660766
All kinds anon. Look up Rachel Oleary species spotlight on youtube.

Most of the things she lists are good/ok for nano tanks.

How many gallons, by the way?
>>
>>2660786
13L
>>
>>2660795
Responded to you in the new thread
>>
Note to self: never buy a fucking used heater again
>>
Hey /aq/ it's the fucking clam guy from the last thread

so far there have been no deaths. I've been doing water changes every day to make sure they've got enough oxygen and the water's at the right temperature. I think I'm gonna name 'em.

Also go fuck yourselves I'm gonna make sure each one lives for months and not one will die
>>
>>2660872
nigga it was in this thread and it was only 2 days ago. gonna be funny when they all die, keep us posted. make sure to make some fritters or something out of them when they pass.
>>
>>2660878
shit, i copied and pasted this from the new thread in case it gets pruned. and you fucking know I'm gonna keep you posted.
>>
>>2660881
do you want a good recipe?
what are you going to do if they manage to survive? i know they are just clams but it is kind of a shitty life to just live in an old soda bottle.
>>
>>2660885
I'm going to try and get them a proper tank when I can afford it, which should be soon-ish. A good sized 10 or 15 gallon that I'll fill with some sort of fish eventually. I may be retarded but I'm not that cruel.

and I think I'll put a tombstone in the 5.5 gallon to pay respects.
>>
>>2661169
I live in the US. What's so good about James Findley's shop?
>>
>>2660765
Is it so wrong that I actually WANT my goldfish to grow as big as possible?
>>
>>2661280
I mean that should be your goal. But you should be prepared for a 2 foot long fish before you buy the damn thing
>>
>>2660872
you are keeping clams?
why, and also pic
>>
>>2661330
cause I thought it'd be neat and I thought filter feeders would help with algae problems (yes I know it doesn't keep the water from getting cloudy)

can't take a pic right now, but I will later
>>
How do I genocide snails I'm at breaking point.

>tried bottle trap and accidentally drowned sterbai cory
>don't feed fish for 2 1/2 weeks even more snails
>trying flourish excel currently to kill snails

i can't use any copper sulfate because of corydoras
i can't bleach any of the plants because of otoinculus

should i just kms or make a whole new tank for the remaining cory's and nuke snails with copper sulfate for 2-3 weeks.
>>
>>2661862
assassin snails my dude

i love snails tho i don't know why you wouldn't want them?
>>
jews did 9/11
>>
>>2662758
agreed

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.