[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 23 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

How do you guys get your dogs to take their meds? Mine stubbornly refuses...
>>
If he won't take it on its own and won't take it with food, I shoved it down his throat
>>
>>2659347
if pull put it inside some meat
if liquid just squirt it down his throat
>>
>>2659348
Sounds pretty intense. Not a great idea for a small breed fellow like Paco, I’m guessing?
>>
>>2659352
if pill*
hotdogs are good for this
>>
>>2659348
Also, he’s a small dog. Yes his bite is strong and painful for being such a little guy but I’d be scared of dislocating his jaw if I try to force food down his throat. This is a 3.5 pound dog...
>>
>>2659353
He was a miniature schnauzer, so a little bigger than your demon dog. With age they become stubborn old men (who occasionally would eat the food you give him and then spit out the pill buried in there because fuck you) so it's either that or he had his seizures.
>>
>>2659357
He's not eating at all? maybe try some of the alternate methods at the end of this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3yHgItqGmo
>>
>>2659360
Yeah that’s Paco too. Seizures combined with total lack of bowel control are not fun.... he just lays there instead of taking his meds.
>>
>inb4 it's another penis biting chihuahua thread
>>
>>2659357
Literally just poke the pill down his throat with your finger and then massage it (on the outside) to make him swallow
>>
>>2659347
shove it down his fucking throat then
>>
>>2659347
Wrap the pills in turkey slices or buy some anchovies and put the pills in the fishes mouth, most dogs don't take their pills because of the smell or taste which the turkey and anchovies will cover.
>>
>>2659347
hi chihuahua anon
>>
>>2659347
mash it up with some treats
>>
>>2659347
Peanut butter , you stupid motherfuckers.
>>
>>2660435
This
>>
>>2660435
My dog realizes that we hide meds in her medicine now
>>
>>2660574
Fuck, i meant hide meds in peanut butter. It's late...
>>
put the medicine in his mouth, hold his mouth closed and his snout towards the sky, rub his throat until he swallows
WA LA
>>
>>2660574
Admitting to smuggling drugs in your dog, how despicable...
>>
Any tips for medicating a ratdog that will vomit up anything shoved down its throat?
>>
>>2661234
Take an oral syringe and squirt water into mouth immediately after administering pill, to encourage swallow reflex
>>
>>2661384
The pill gets swallowed. Then the dog literally vomits and the pill + stomach contents come up.
>>
>>2661234
Have medication compounded into tasty liquid at your local compounding pharmacy. Your vet will know what you mean if you ask
>>
I knew before I even entered this thread.
>>
>>2661389
Thanks, will give it a shot.
>>
File: HPIM0734.jpg (139 KB, 1024x768)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>2660574
The same thing happened to me, but because of what she's got, she's become an insanely picky eater.

Her original kibbles would just be left in the bowl. So we switched to wet food. Worked for about a day and a half before she lost interest in that too. Tried softening kibbles with hot water and letting it sit for 20 min before stirring up a bit. That worked for about a week. Then I tried adding peanut butter to that mess which worked for a couple days, then she started refusing that too. Then we switched to giving her "real" food (mixture of chicken, vegetables, and rice) which, again, worked for a couple days before she'd start refusing to eat. So we switched to just straight-up cooked chicken thighs which also worked for nearly a week...

Then she found a pill in a piece of chicken I was hand-feeding her and now refuses to touch any chicken meat, in or out of her bowl.

I'm at my wit's fucking end here. I just want my dog to not starve herself to death and to take her goddamn pills.
>>
>>2659347
If he won't take things to keep him alive, then like a child, let him die.
>>
>>2661497
the difference is that you can communicate with a child (to some extent). There's no way to tell your dog that you have magical tablets that keep him from having the spooky-bad shake-around-time.
>>
>>2661390
this
>>
>>2661497
>>2661500
Not true at all. Try giving some medicine to a 3 year old, especially if it doesn't take like tea and crumpets.
>>
So he’s still sitting there and won’t eat it and he just staring at me and the wall. I think he’s slowly voiding his bowels but I cannot be sure. His tremors have increased. Suggestions?
>>
Will medicine work rectally on a dog?
>>
>>2661580
only if the directions say to apply as such

Gotta try to get him to take it as something he'll swallow whole, so small enough to do so and appetizing enough so they won't taste the medicine through it
>>
My cat tried to kill me every time I forced him to take a pill, but with pill pocket treats he's happy to take his daily prednisolone.
>>
>>2659347
give them a bath in the sink first.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.