[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

previous thread >>2713087

Reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>caudata.org for newts, salamanders and lots more amphibians
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal

>Jump Start (formerly Hydrofarm) thermostat is a good basic and inexpensive thermostat for regulating ceramic heat emitters and under tank heaters (Amazon sells it)
>if you want something more advanced for temperature control, look at Herpstat products
>>
File: TreeMonitor.jpg (80 KB, 600x600)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>
File: dexter1.jpg (243 KB, 1223x1631)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
>>
File: VaranusMelinus.jpg (1.52 MB, 3264x1836)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>
File: VaranusMelinus2.jpg (28 KB, 800x601)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>
File: VaranusMelinus3.jpg (615 KB, 1438x1080)
615 KB
615 KB JPG
>>
File: 1530073584504.jpg (68 KB, 750x731)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
Reposting this in hopes that someone here can ID it. I'm not 100% sure it is even real.
>>
>>2729689

Looks like a sculpture of some kind? Like museum interpretation of what some fossil skeleton might have looked like.
>>
File: Hypnotoad.gif (79 KB, 303x198)
79 KB
79 KB GIF
>>2729689
>>
Boa fag here,. when she was younger I took her out to massage her belly with warm water because she hadn't pooped in awhile and I was worried. I played with her and she hissed at me so I scooped her up and dried her and put her back. Just now 2 plus years later I tried petting her head gently and she moved her tail on top of her head and hissed. So I put her back again and gave her clean water and she seemed docile in in cage when my hand was around her. Was she just letting me know to stop?
>>
File: IMG_20180530_234819__01.jpg (3.1 MB, 3403x2925)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
Playful fellas
>>
>>2729732
Yep. Standard piss off if you please body language. Even otherwise very docile snakes can get defensive about contact with their head.
>>
File: 20180627_093534.png (202 KB, 244x572)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
My beardie has a slight yellow shade around it's one nostril and upper mouth. Is it over, /herp/?
>>
Bought my bearded dragon enclosure today, 150*50*50 with all the needs for the enclosure for 320,-
Decided to house a leatherback. babies are coming in hot in 2 weeks time, can't wait. Anything I should look out for when picking one out?
How did you guys settle on a name for your herp?
>>
>>2729678
clever girl
>>
>>2729994
>Anything I should look out for when picking one out?

Initial reptile health checklist is as follows:

>animal should be alert and active
>eyes clear with no discharge
>no old stuck shed on toes and tip of tail
>vent should be closed and surrounding area clean
>overall appearance healthy, not noticeably over or underweight

>>2729968

pics? You mean the skin has a yellow tinge?
>>
>>2729671
My hoggie male gets all pissed off if I take him outside, but only when he’s on the ground. He’s usually really calm around people, and especially me, but I let him down in my yard and he hoods up and bluff strikes if I get near him. I pick him up again and he’s fine. I know hogs are ‘tarded, but what’s triggering him so hard?
>>
>>2730151
Different environment. Weird smells. Possibly smells he instinctively associates with predators.
>>
>>2730154
Makes sense, he got even more pissy when I tried feeding him live toad babies, kept nipping at my fingers. I could set up his enclosure in my garage, I live in Minnesota so temps would be more accurate for him.
>>
>>2729732
Like >>2729949 says, not a big deal. Sometimes they just don't want to be messed with. If your snake only does this occasionally (like yours) it's nothing to even think about.

The only time I would do something about it is if it becomes a normal reaction for her. Boa bites aren't the worst thing in the world especially since they usually let go immediately with defensive bites, but you don't want your snake stressing and freaking out each time you need to handle it. Handling is often required for them at their size. The only real way to condition it out of them is to pick them up when they hiss, take the bites (if they happen) and continue to handle. You have to show them that those won't work and that you aren't going to harm them. This can be stressful on them and you but is better for the long run.

Like said though a hiss or the occasional spooked strike is nothing to worry about. I had a young male that would always strike if I woke him up and he was surprised. He rarely connected and would always realize soon after there's no danger. He grew out of it eventually.
>>
>>2730151
Being on the ground in the open. Of course it could be any other numerous idiotic thing setting it off since it's a hognose but generally snakes on the ground with big creatures around freaks them out. One of mine gets pissed at her frozen thawed meals.
>>
>>2730190
>Being on the ground in the open

Yep, definitely this too.
>>
>>2730189
When I wake her up she acts confused and its really funny, shes like a blob lol
>>
I never really had my question answered in the last thread due to some disagreement:

Do any of you have personal experience with either Samurai's or Eco-Earth's Pac-Man Frog Food Pellets?
I'm a worrier, and I feel as though this would make me more at ease with the guy.
>no risk of eating the coconut coir as he is right now
>no bugs eating at him
>no worry about dusting
>convenient
>safe
>cheap
It'd be his staple, but I wouldn't only give him the pellets. I'd give him bugs and other treats through the week to avoid some froggy ennui.

"cheap" isn't a big factor, but if it does all else, it's only another plus.
I haven't found too much discussion about the product online as it is a pretty new and niche item. Some guys said it works fine.
>>
Released an escapee black soldier fly outside. I call these the chosen ones. Bought from reptile shop in larva form to feed to my geckos. Survives the feeding dish. I release uneaten larva in to bioactive substrate of my tropical gecko tanks, where they promptly burrow down beneath the surface and gear up to moult in to adult fly form. They moult, live with the gecko in the tank for a while, survive that. Escape tank and hang around on my windows. I catch and release outside. Maybe one in a thousand manages the feat.

>>2730306

Yes, the kind that comes in powder form you mix with water is an okay food source for pacman frogs. Nutritional profile on that stuff is pretty good. Repashy also makes a variation called Grub Pie that I will occasionally feed to my geckos as another source of variety in their diet.
>>
>>2730306
Whoops, meant "Zoo Med," not Eco-Earth.

>>2730314
Thank you!
Do you (or anyone else) know how often I am to feed the pellets to him? He's still juvenile.
>>
File: 1470222010632.png (27 KB, 737x404)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
beginner question:
If I travel a few hours for a fire skink, will he be alright in a simple plastic tub for the ride back? What can I do to make the ride more comfy for him?
At the least I'll bungee cord it down so the bin isnt moving around during the drive.
>>
>>2730331
>Do you (or anyone else) know how often I am to feed the pellets to him?

Start with twice weekly + live bugs on a daily or semi basis. Consult pacman care sheet for recommended feeding frequency (for any feeder item) for juveniles.

>>2730339
drill holes in the tub for airflow. Crumple up paper towel sheets to fill out the interior. Transport in car cabin (not trunk). If the tub is transparent, bring along a pillow case to cover it so skink isn't seeing a bunch of flashing lights and colours the whole trip. The tub should be a relatively snug fit with the crumpled paper towel for the skink's safety.
>>
>>2730306

>no risk of eating the coconut coir as he is right now
>no bugs eating at him

In regards to this, you can feed your froge live insects in a separate plastic tub if this is a concern. Unlike snakes, pacmans don't give a shit about whether you move them or not for feeding. They just wanna eat.
>>
BASED JAPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijrvl8mQCFk
>>
>>2730357

Oh for godsakes. Dunno why that person feels the need to scrub the frogs like potatoes but it's really unnecessary. A soak in clean water is plenty. Even better if you put in a few drops of dechlorinator and let it sit for a few minutes before bathing froggers.
>>
Successfully got the gecko to eat hornworms.
>>
redpill me on josh'sfrogs. I've never ordered livestock off the internet before, has anyone had any good or bad experiences they'd be willing to share? looking to pick up some poison darts.
>>
>>2729671
Why do you fags always crodicdilian owners? Fuck you
>>
File: IMG_20180626_180357.jpg (3.97 MB, 4032x3024)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB JPG
Came out for a visit before finishing his shed
>>
>>2730507
At Josh's you pay a high premium for quality. I've ordered from them before and you definitely get what you pay for. Shipping is fast too.

An update about my belching frog from last thread. It ended up croaking, by which I mean it died. I noticed it sitting at the bottom of its tank very lethargic and yawning. Wasn't responding to any stimulus, be that my hand or food. I moved it to a quarantine tank and it just kind of plopped down without supporting its weight. Pretty much a goner at that point.
I'm pretty sure what killed it was the vivarium. After close inspection I noticed a chemical smell coming from it. Not noticeable unless you stuck your head in. Feel pretty horrible about essentially gassing a frog.
R.I.P Jack le flippr
>>
>>2730507

Josh's Frogs is a great outfit. Do recommend. Very professional breeder and supplies seller.

>>2730592
Wut?

>>2730593
Ha! The gecko equivalent of answering the door straight out of the shower with a bathrobe on. Extra cute if they've worked off the head portion and it looks like they're wearing a hoodie.
>>
Red Runners are a shit and I'm pretty sure I might be slightly allergic to their frass because opening their bin leaves me stuffy and with a headache every time. I've elected to just try and exterminate them as soon as possible which is why I'm now feeding 10+ nymphs to my herps instead of 4-5 adults. I'm even feeding them to my other feeders. I've already fed off all the adult females so they should go pretty quickly now. Fuck these things.
On the contrary, Dubia are so awesome I'm considering setting some aside as pets. Probably the best feeder period. I think I play with them more than my herps. They're just pleasant. Hypoallergenic. Even in large numbers they just continue smelling like nutmeg. Oranges perfume them pretty good. They just let you pick them up and toss them to their deaths. 10/10 feeder.
>>
>>2730630
YOU faggots always leave us out of the discussion
>>
>>2729676
I really want to get one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw9f326LfEU
>>
>>2730593
cute!
>>
Anyone have experience with a Leopard gecko burying her water bowl? I've moved the bowl to different areas of the enclosure and she'll always bury it in Eco earth during the night no matter where I put it.
It's not an issue for me to refill it but I'm wondering if something is up with her since I couldn't really find anything about it online.
>>
>>2729689
MEESA AM YOUR NEW PET, NONNY!
>>
>>2729689
It's a sculpture of some prehistoric amphibian. I seen the full pic before but i cant remember the name or where i saw it. Maybe it's a restoration of Paracyclotosaurus?
>>
>>2730638
I don't follow. You wanna talk about crocs?
>>
>>2731214
also if you've got a pet death roller pls post pics.
>>
>>2730971
that is odd. Leos aren't usually kept on coir so probably not a common observation.
>>
>>2731214
Theres one guy who everyone called a retard for getting a croc because he was wondering why it wasnt eating after having it 3 days and when those mean internet people got onto him he just started acting like an edgy twat and said hell throw it in the freezer with a smile on his face remembering the words of those losers who pushed him to it
Assuming its the same person ofcourse, but then again how many fucking people here would have crocs, I plan on getting an alligator in the future but insist on having the space/money for both outside and inside enclosures. I have a decent bit of experience with them since my dad let me have one for about 4 years until a neighbor saw it and threatened to call fish and game
>>
File: 001.jpg (2.34 MB, 4032x3024)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
Postan my newest vivarium, built out of the remnant shell of an old paludarium built out of a 20 gallon long. Looking to keep poison dart frogs, the terrain is kind of layered and uneven so I'm hoping to get three or four in here fine without territory issues- there's an entire sub-shaded section beneath all that moss on the right side. Anyone here have experience with poison darts with any good pointers? I'm not new to herps or amphibians but I've never kept poisons.
>>
>>2731461

This is awesome. Looks like the display setups my local herp shop has for dart frogs.
>>
>>2731461
Never kept darts, sorry. But what did you use as substrate? I once had coco fiber with my whites tree frogs and a month later it had gnats and fruit flies. I assume you can't regularly switch out the substrate in a viviarium like this so once you get gnats or whatever you're fucked.
>>
>>2730971
Don't keep your gecko on eco earth Anon.
>>
Got some old dwarf hamsters and I’m gonna be done with rodents anymore. Was wondering if its okay when they died feed them for my bp?
>>
"[spoiler]hiss[/spoiler]"
>>
>>2731357
There at least 3 of us on here and we want our spot in these write ups like the rest of you snake fags
>>
>>2731590
People don’t use old dead cows for meat just like they dont use old dead hamsters for feeders. I mean if the snake eats it, I’m sure it will be fine, but I can’t say they’d be a tasty, nutritious meal
>>
>>2731608
>>2731590
But congratulations on ditching rodents. Too much maintenance for a pocket pet, shit pet. 3/10, would not again.
>>
>>2731590
>Was wondering if its okay when they died feed them for my bp?

Don't. While risk of complication is relatively low, it's still a risk. Not worth it to save a few bucks.
>>
>>2731559
nope, no coconut fiber, it rots far too quickly and brings in the bugs like you mentioned. I use a mix of two types of different tropical soil, can't remember the names of either atm. You can't really tell in the image but there's a bottom layer of fine gravel to help with drainage, and between the plants taking root and macrofauna shenanigans, I've kept setups like similar for years without gnat problems.
>>
>>2731590
Yes as long as you kill them first if they arnt already dead. i used to feed mice to my snakes i bred myself. most humane way to dispatch them is to swing them by the tail so they impact a table breaking their neck. look into it, i dont know how you would do the equivelent with hamsters given the lack of tail
>>
I mean you could but you probably shouldn't. Not worth the risk to the snake to save a few bucks.
>>
is a ball python okay in 85% humidity?
>>
>>2732430
If it's temporary. Around 50-60% is what they like.
>>
Whats the best tortoise for someone in North Dakota?
>>
>>2732430
>>2732481

Yes 85% is okay for BPs. That's entirely within their safe range and not something that's going to give you trouble with respiratory infections.

No worries.

>>2732554

It'll have to be mainly indoors in a tortoise table setup due to your climate (outside in warm summer days is okay). Russian tortoise fits the bill best as they are acclimated to relatively low humidity and are maybe the most hearty small tortoise species in so far as broad acceptable temperature ranges are concerned.
>>
>>2732556
Thanks
>>
File: Russian8.jpg (293 KB, 600x399)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
Russian torts are good shellboys
>>
File: suspicious gek.jpg (1.01 MB, 2273x2687)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>
>>2733165
>:3
>>
>>2733165

I miss having a leo. Those face expressions get me every time. All my current geckos have no eyelids and can't do the patented leo winks and smug looks.
>>
>>2733211
>;3
>>
>>2729678
cute
>>
>>2731669
My friend bred rats for his 2 boas he used to have
He would put them in a pillowcase and then whack them against a brick wall really quick to put them out instantly
I imagine same would work for hamster
>>
File: IMG_2052.jpg (936 KB, 1600x1200)
936 KB
936 KB JPG
>>2732430
As long as the bedding and enclosure are dry. High humidity doesn't make them sick or anything, unless everything is drenched and starts molding. Low humidity is more likely to cause health problems than high humidity.

I always keep my bp at the highest possible humidity I can get without the walls dripping. Which, you can get condensation even at lower percentages if your snake's cage is warmer than the room, or they get a cold draft over them.

Higher than minimum humidity makes them glow, makes their skin more elastic, and overall just helps make them healthier.
>>
>>2733307
That is an awful way to euthanize animals. That isn't guaranteed to kill them, meaning they will be in extreme pain, and make a blood mess out of them.

Properly controlled CO2 chambers and cervical dislocation should be your go-tos. Each has their own pros and cons, and aren't always universal, but when done right are way more humane and less messy than slamming something into a wall.
>>
Anyone got any links/tips for starting a bioactive setup for a BP? I really wanna try out my green thumb on it but am scared of screwing it up.
>>
>>2733676

It's not especially difficult to do bioactive. Keeping plants alive can occasionally be tricky with snakes but just bioactive without live plants is easy enough:

>drainage layer of clay pellets or large stone gravel
>select appropriate soil type for your humidity needs. preferably something that isn't going to be especially dusty when dry
>mix soil with clean play sand to a 70-30 soil to sand ratio
>dump in a culture of springtails
>add some leaf litter and sphagnum moss for top layer
>a large flattish stone, water dish, two or three hides, some plastic foliage, a climbing branch, and so on for decor

Drainage layer is important for snakes even if you don't plan to grow plants in the viv. It encourages excess moisture to sink below surface level. Surface level MUST be dry for snakes as wet substrate = scale rot. You can't really use a UTH for a biactive setup. Heat will have to be provided from above. Ceramic heat emitter or radiant heat panel are best as they emit no light and can be on 24/7
>>
>>2733676
bioactive set ups aren't really difficult. If you're looking for kits this guy is decent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOVwC4FKAdQ

Does anyone here know how long a malaysian leaf froglet can go without eating? I just got one friday and I don't want him to starve. We're going through a heatwave here in PA so I don't know if its the overall higher temps that are dissuading him from eating or if he's just acclimating.
>>
File: IMG_20180630_225043.jpg (3.64 MB, 4032x3024)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20180630_225100.jpg (3.7 MB, 4032x3024)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB JPG
>>
Hello /herp/
I was taking out the trash a few minutes ago and saw this snake carcass in the parking lot.
Any kind anon want to tell me what kind it is?
In central Texas if it matters, but part of me is worried it's a pet that got out.
>>
File: Texas Rat Snake 0001.jpg (173 KB, 725x483)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>2734181
>>2734182

Ooh, nice pics! Charlie looks exceptionally handsome as always.

>>2734269

Almost certainly a texas rat snake. Pic related. May or may not be someone's pet. There is a wild population in your state, hence the name.
>>
>>2734182
cool tank deco. looks like a little castle
>>
>>2734294
Thanks anon
>>
>>2733868
Alright that doesn't sound that hard at all really. Would I be able to use some of the magnolia leaves or other leaf litter from my yard as is or should I sterilize them some way before putting them into the enclosure? We haven't sprayed our yard with any chemicals for the past several years.
>>
>>2734335

Sterilizing shouldn't be necessary for leaf litter. Just give a thorough rinse as you would for produce from grocery store.
>>
Had a green iguana when I was young, he died at 14. Now I am an adult with four kids, a dog, and a cat. I work from home and really want another iguana. Should I get one? Will it be alright physically and emotionally in such a busy house?
>>
>>2734343

If you have the time and space, perhaps. Set on an iguana or open to other reptiles?
>>
>>2734343
if you dont mind it maybe flipping the fuck out and mangling one of your kids, sure
>>
>>2734451
Bearded dragons seems easier to keep. Do they like to ride on their humans shoulder?

>>2734456
Heh, my iguana was really friendly. It may be unfair to get another iguana; i'd compare the new one to my old friend too much.
>>
>>2734459
>Do they like to ride on their humans shoulder?

Beardies are generally okay with sitting on shoulders. Although they might get a little freaked out if you start walking around with them on there. As with all herps, keep handling to a maximum 30 minutes per session, no more than three times a week.

Overall I'd say beardie is a better choice for a family with kids and other pets. Much smaller space requirement, cheaper feeding cost, not as dangerous for your kids.
>>
>>2734462
I'm smart enough not to leave a reptile alone with my cat or dog. My old iguana have my dog a crack on the nose with his tail. The dog never went near him again. Can a bearded dragon deter an overly curious cat or dog if need be?
>>
File: IMG_0548.jpg (51 KB, 1280x720)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>2731669
>most humane way to dispatch them is to swing them by the tail so they impact a table breaking their neck
You have to be either bullshitting or outright retarded. It's much quicker and more humane to just restrain the body and give the head a firm sharp tug forward with some feeding tongs. Severs the neck at the base of the skull without having to fucking unga-bunga your feeders like some sort of cro magnon savage.
>>
File: sock.jpg (556 KB, 1080x1440)
556 KB
556 KB JPG
So I'm sure that Im probably going to get a bit of deserved flack for this. But my iguana had been sick for a few days earlier last week and I had scheduled a vet appointment for the day after tomorrow(only 1 exotic vet anywhere near me and hes one of the only vets period in the area), However yesterday morning he climbed into his "litter box"(a tote with 3-4 inches of water in it) and was having trouble passing something. I had assumed it might have been a wad of dust or dog hair from behind a piece of furniture in the room hes kept in since my friend who was watching him while I was out of state wouldnt pick him up and put him back in his cage so he had the run of the room 24/7 for a few days while I was gone.
So after he was standing up visibly having trouble trying to pass it I put on a pair of rubber gloves and started to gently pull at it(it was only sticking out about an inch) I started to realized how large it was but wasnt able to ascertain what it was
So I ran upstairs with it and blasted it with water under the sink. It was a fucking sock damn near as long as the area from his front legs to his cloaca.
And I was just starting to think he got over what was wrong with him since the last 2 days he had gone back to his normal activity levels and was eating/drinking just fine
>>
>>2734485
>Can a bearded dragon deter an overly curious cat or dog if need be?

Don't count on it. Remove dog and cat from room if bringing beardie out.
>>
>>2734498
Holy shit ahahjaahhahahahahahahahha
>>
File: 1516739730801.png (449 KB, 657x699)
449 KB
449 KB PNG
>>2734498

...oh. Well fuck. Check stool over the next few weeks for signs of blood. Thankfully it wasn't anything solid that would have torn up his intestine.
>>
>>2734485
>Can a bearded dragon deter an overly curious cat or dog if need be?
absolutely not
>>
>>2730151
Late reply but I have heard that the difference in light can make a pretty big difference to reptiles. Light indoors isn't the same as being in direct sun light, so maybe your snake is seeing you in a way its not used to and is just being careful about it.
>>
File: chomp.webm (2.52 MB, 1080x1920)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB WEBM
>>2734498
Oh yeah heres a video of the little guy I took afew weeks back that I neglected to convert into a webm until now
>>
>>2734555
pretty fab looking iguaner ya got there.
>>
>>2734503
>>2734525
Got it. Do dragons have much in the way of individual personality? I would like to get one from a rescue as I loathe the exotic pet trade, but I worry about it maybe having a history of abuse or neglect and being adversarial as a result.
>>
>>2734611
>Do dragons have much in the way of individual personality?

They do insofar as any lizard does. Which is to say... a little. It's maybe 80% standard bearded dragon behaviour traits with a 20% individual modifier.

>I would like to get one from a rescue as I loathe the exotic pet trade, but I worry about it maybe having a history of abuse or neglect and being adversarial as a result.

Sure that's fine. Do a health check (rescue should do this automatically) and hold the dragon in person before choosing one. If it's aggressive you will find out immediately.
>>
File: hnasicusccaz8105.jpg (78 KB, 900x600)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
hoggers
>>
File: hnasicusccaz8106.jpg (58 KB, 900x600)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>2735505
additional hoggers
>>
>>2735505
>>2735507
Hogger a best beginner tube dude
Ball python a shit
>>
>>2735516
More hoggers
>>
File: Xenodon_pulcher3.jpg (117 KB, 712x441)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
Don't touch me, I'm a highly venomous coral snake. Trust me!
>>
File: Totallydeadandstuff.jpg (117 KB, 800x641)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>2735531

dead snek here move along not alive
>>
>>2735531
Are these a locality or something breeders came up with? It's so weird seeing a hognose with bright colors.
>>
>>2735581
It's its own species and not actually a hognose. Xenodon belong to a different subfamily.
>>
File: tricolorhog.jpg (183 KB, 1024x768)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>2735581

Locality. Actually different species to boot. Not a morph. The banded hogger (aka tri-color) is native to south america with a range from Bolivia southwards to Argentina.
>>
>>2735596

11/10 acting
>>
how do you guys find the time to care for your herps?
I'm always tempted to get new companions, but not sure how it would fit in my schedule, and i wouldn't want to end up not being able to care for them properly
>>
File: 1529965490737.webm (2.93 MB, 720x404)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>2735617
Depends on what kind of herps you have. herbivores/omnivores where you need to prepare whole veggie/green meals are a lot more effort than snakes or lizards that only need a few bugs 2-3 times a week.
>>
>>2735617

Part of my selection process for herps involves a thorough assessment of their care requirements and whether or not I can meet them even if everything else in my life has gone bananas and I want to die.

There is a wide range of care levels with herps. Some are 10 minutes or less per day, others are one hour of work or more per day. The popular snake species and frugivore geckos tend to be on the lower end of the scale. Then insectivore geckos (have to care for the bugs) and lizards. Above that are large species or delicate snowflakes with very tight environmental range to remain healthy.
>>
>>2735617
I do most of the care when I first get up
Turning on lights takes literally seconds
dumping my iguanas toilet water and any food he knocked out of the way takes like 2 minutes and dumping more food onto his feeding platform takes maybe another 2 minutes
Refilling water bowls takes maybe another 2-3 minutes but I keep a 5 gallon pressurized sprayer for misting/watering full so its just pointing the nozzle at their bowls.
feeding anoles is just dumping a few feeders in every couple of days
Snakes its just put food in warm water when I get home and then dangle it on tongs once thawed, takes 5 minutes to do it max
Cleaning is pretty simple, I spot clean 99% of the time just chucking soiled substrated into a bag. If theres a big mess or its been awhile since Ive done a really good cleaning I set aside an hour to scrub down their enclosure and fully replace substrate.
The small amount of effort required is part of the reason I love herps so much and I own an iguana 3 snakes an anole and a colony of crickets and dubias.
But yeah purely "mandatory" upkeep per day is 20-30 minutes depending on my speed and if I double check things I know are alright like temps/water bowls.
>>
File: lil squirt turt.png (875 KB, 1076x455)
875 KB
875 KB PNG
Went on a little hike today, Found a little turt
>>
>>2735645

Looks like you found an eastern box turtle there.
>>
>>2735712
Yeah, I know the species, just felt like sharing here. Haven't actually seen one, or any turtle for that matter in my area since I was around 10. This year's been pretty good for reptiles in my area in general. Seen more wild snakes this year alone than I've seen in the rest of my life combined
>>
>>2735992
Neato! I never see wild herps in my area although I've read there are frogs and garter snakes somewhere out there. I do wildlife photography for fun and it's mostly birds and coyotes and deer here in western Canada. Cougars and mountain goats and moose and bison way out in the boonies, haven't seen those either though.
>>
File: IMG-20180702-WA0003.jpg (1.49 MB, 2592x4608)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
My pixie frog was upgraded to a mansion.
>>
>>2736445

Is there about an inch of water in there? That's a novel solution to the water bowl situation with frogs. I kinda like it.
>>
File: 2017, 8August.jpg (1.62 MB, 3264x1836)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
>>2729671
Wanna get a small indoor tortoise. Any advice? Posting Colorado Rivertoad. I'm careful about the camera flash because I don't want to hurt their eyes, so only pictured from behind.
>>
File: 20160719_203035.jpg (1.1 MB, 1836x3264)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>2736885
This isn't one of mine, but a GIGANTIC wild individual I crossed paths with. It's hard to get a good idea of how massive this thing was. When I first caught sight of it, my flash thought was that it was a football bouncing across the path.
>>
>>2736885

The usual common species in north america are Russian tortoise, Greek tortoise, Redfoot tortoise, and Hermann's tortoise. Best choice depends on how much space you're willing to dedicate to their pen and how humid your house tends to be. As tortoises are kept in open topped pens, or tortoise tables, it is difficult to increase or decrease humidity as needed to a level appropriate for your tortoise. The closer your ambient humidity is to the tortoise's requirement the better.
>>
File: 2016, 6June 30 - GPT1.jpg (1.28 MB, 1836x3264)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
>>2736894
Danke. Will need to find a drier one
>>
>>2736885
Can you lick it to get high
>>
File: Russian_tortoise.jpg (1.22 MB, 2272x1704)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>2736951
>drier one

In that case Russian tortoise is definitely best choice.
>>
File: dow.jpg (9 KB, 300x168)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
https://youtu.be/5s00zTWVsEM
>>
File: 1526115129453.jpg (43 KB, 700x475)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Anyone of you ever tried this?
>>
>>2737436
What does this accomplish?
>>
>>2737452

lizard-mouse hybrid
>>
>>2737436
Hamster sized bearded dragons.
>>
Hey /herp/,
It seems that leopard geckos have naturalized in my area.
The other day my dad woke up early and found some babies in their kitchen sink. He managed to catch one and gave it to me.
My dad had put him in a jar with an old peach to attract fruit flies/gnats. They claim to have seen him eat some.
I still have the jar, but I've moved him to a little critter keeper. I place him in the gnat jar at night so he can eat.
Right now his "tank" is inside my bearded dragons' cage so he stays warm.
He's so small, I'm sure how to properly care for hatchlings.
Got any advice?
>>
>>2737613
nigga that's a mediterranean house gecko, not a leo
>>
>>2737617
It is?
Shit, the babies look so similar.
That does make more sense, though. I know house geckos can naturalize easy, but I've never heard of leopards being able to.
I've only had dragons and green anole before. I know almost nothing about geckos.
Do they strictly eat bugs, or should I dress some greens real tiny? Are fruit flies nutritious enough? This is all new territory for me.
>>
>>2737625

Leopard geckos have eyelids and pointy toes rather than the pads the house gecko has.

House geckos are strict insectivores. Here's a care guide:

https://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-a-House-Gecko
>>
>>2737650
Thanks
Do they make good pets, or not really?
>>
>>2737680

They're interesting to watch. Not generally fans of handling though.
>>
File: image1.jpg (866 KB, 2016x1512)
866 KB
866 KB JPG
hello i am snek
>>
>>2736969
The Greek tortoise isn't a drier species? I'm only concerned with minimizing maintenance time.
>>
>>2737997
How much did that guy set you back
>>
>>2736969
>>2738063
I.e.
>>
>>2735274
>>
>>2738066
not him but he probably paid around 450-750
>>
>>2738070

Care sheets I have read indicate a relatively high humidity is preferred for Greek tortoises. Russian tortoise is by far best adapted to humidity below 50% of the lot.
>>
File: Green-frog.jpg (723 KB, 1600x1200)
723 KB
723 KB JPG
>few years ago
>go downstairs late at night
>see something small moving in the corner of the room
>it's a green frog covered in cat and dog hair
>it can barely move
>scoop it up
>wash off all the hair and dust
>looking good as new
>go outside and put it on the wall that the green frogs use as a hunting ground for bugs

>tonight
>watching movie in my room
>feel like something licked my foot
>cat is laying next to me
>horror_story_scenario_012.txt
>use flashlight to see what's below my desk
>a green tree frog
>covered in cat hair
>decided to try to climb me
>pick it up
>it squirms around as I bring it to the bathroom
>wash off the hair and dust
>it's jumping out of my hand and into the sink
>pick it up
>it chills out on my hand
>won't jump off
>keeps looking at me
>bring it outside
>look at it for a while longer
>feel a bond growing between us
>something unspoken
>put it back on the hunting grounds wall

they know. the frog I saved years ago told the others about me. the frog from tonight sought me out, knowing I would help him. and now he's returned to the others to tell another story about the benevolent giant. stay safe, green frog.
>>
>>2738094
I'd assume from their endemic ranges that the Grek Tortoise would live in the hotter and drier regions. Although maybe my geography is incorrect.

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=2620
>Greek Tortoises are a terrestrial species that is native to a dry environment, so they require a relatively low humidity. Regular exposure to high humidity can cause upper respiratory tract infections and other health problems. It's important that you keep humidity levels between 30% and 50%, and monitor them closely with a hygrometer. You can also keep levels low by choosing substrates that don't hold humidity.

http://www.russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm
>Russian tortoises come from parts of the world with long and harsh dry seasons. Maintaining proper humidity for Russian tortoises should not be a primary concern. As discussed earlier, these animals are highly adaptable to a wide range of conditions. With very few exceptions, the ambient humidity within your home (or even outdoors) will be appropriate successfully maintaining these animals.

In decades to come I might end up moving from the southwest; so it may be better to simply accept that I'll have to monitor humidity, and make my primary consideration about temperament and maybe some other stuff. Not going to get one for awhile, so a long time to study and decide. My zoo is big enough for me right now
>>
>>2738119
If at all possible keep your cats indoors. They just kill everything
>>
>>2738119
just found another frog. what's going on
>>
does ulstrasound mosquito repeller that i plug into electricity harm the leopard geckos that are in the same room? what about chemical mosquito repeller plugged into electricity as well?
>>
>>2738127
I think my cat is the one bringing the frogs to me. I found her as a stray kitten and I think she doesn't know how to kill. She has caught a few mice in my house, but she'll carry the mouse into my room in a panic. She doesn't know what to do with it once she caught it. It's the only thing that makes sense as to why I found two frogs in my room in one evening.
>>
>>2738119
Wild animals aren't stupid. On the contrary, they have already realised that the cycle of life is growing, and being eaten, and growing off thing things that you've eaten followed by being eaten. They know there is no ultimate advantage to the development of intelligence that is the trait of humans, as we simply eat and are eaten like any other being while we talk a lot of shit, and so they have transcended our quest for intellectual advancement. Plus they're naturally psychic (as every living being is), and show regular signs of ESP... somewhat more sensitive than most humans.

Although you probably imagine that the green frog's language is barely capable of communicating to other frogs that you are friendly, you should imagine that in combination with their psychic abilities they are also able to communicate details about their experience with you, and about your personality... like for example that you have a cat and therefore they can assume that you are sympathetic to creatures smaller than yourself (rather than just interested in them as prey).
>>
>>2738066
>>2738081
I got lucky, he was only $350.
>>
>>2738207
What the actual fuck are you talking about, mate. Thats some insane bullshit you got there, no joke. Frogs dont have any capacity of reasoning as you picture them, they dont even have a rational side, nor anyway to communicate besides croaking. That frog saw a tall spot more humid that the rest of the room and climbed up. Because they sense himidity. There's not anything more to it. Stop rationalizing animals you dense fuck
>>
File: 1528265605614.jpg (49 KB, 898x644)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>2738284
>not owning herps with psychic abilities
Are you even trying?
>>
>>2738119
So wholesome.
We call him the frog whisperer
>>
File: 1522784597463.jpg (70 KB, 500x375)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>tfw my snake shits so loudly that you can hear it through the whole room
>PFFFFFRRRRRT
>>
>>2737684
Out of all geckos they are about the easiest to "tame" though. I had geckos go from screaming and hissing at me to willingly climbing onto my hand within a week.

That's not to say they like being handled but some of them do not seem to mind much, and will gladly take the opportunity to explore or get treats.
>>
What’s going on with my Pac-Man?

It was his first cleaning today. I made sure I did everything very carefully, used decorimated water, etc.
After all was said and done and double checking to make sure everything was done correctly, I placed him back in his terrarium. He’s just been sitting there with his eyes closed for some time, but this is really unlike him. He’s still a baby. He’s breathing, and when I went to move the terrarium back to my room he shifted some.
Is he just being normal? I guess I’m so used to seeing him burrow right away
>>
>>2738476
I've heard that pac mans can be like that sometimes
>>
>>2738119
this is so precious ;-;
>>
>>2738138
>does ulstrasound mosquito repeller that i plug into electricity harm the leopard geckos that are in the same room?

I don't believe so. Do some more research on this and come back to post if it turns out i'm wrong. Good question.

>chemical mosquito repeller plugged into electricity as well?

I assume it gives off some kind of odor the skeeters don't like? Or does this thing spew out insecticide? I'd say okay if it's just an odor thing, not okay if there is anything in the mixture designed to kill bugs.
>>
>>2738476

Pretty normal. Got a little stressed out by the cleaning probably.
>>
My corn snake is 37g. By all the charts I've seen he should be on a regular fuzzys(7-9g). However, in an effort to get him used to eating bigger meals, when i tried to fed him 2 small fuzzies(about 3-4g each) he never wants the second one even when i leave it for him in his vivarium. 1 small fuzzy still leave a bump in his stomach. Whats my play here? shall i just wait until he's a bit bigger and offer him a reg. fuzzy or maybe 1 small fuzzy and a pinkie? He's still a happy chap. Shedding, shitting, eating normally. Not aggressive. Any tips?
>>
>>2735516
stupid question, if your immunosupressed(because of organ transplants) will the venom be dangerous? I know its normaly like a bee sting or shit like that. but was just curious. I am either going for a Hoggie or ball or BTS.
>>
>>2739397
Worst cases I know of are people having their hand swell up quite a bit. Most people are only going to have a localized bump. As far as I know the swelling it's an allergic reaction that you either get or you don't, and most people dont. So yeah like a sting in that sense.
>>
>>2739392

7-9g fuzzy is a very big meal for a 37g snake. Stick to single small fuzzies for now. A lot of those charts are based on a breeder's power feeding routine to accelerate growth and are hard on the snake. 10% of body weight meal is quite alright.
>>
>>2739441
Thanks.
>>
>>2739392
There is no one set way to feed a snake.

On another note...19-24% of body weight is way above what I normally see recommended for corn snakes...if you're feeding based off of weight.

Snakes, even baby snakes, do not need X percentage of their body weight to grow/thrive. That sort of thinking quickly leads to over feeding, or power feeding.

Coming to the realization that snakes don't need to eat as much as people think or say is also hindered by the fact people still expect snakes to grow at the same rate as everyone else's despite the fact the average snake is growing several times faster than a normally fed snake might grow.

I say continue giving him the 3-4 gram fuzzies. If they leave a bulge, and he doesn't want more, there is no reason to feed more. That will just result in worse feeding issues down the road, and negatively affect his health short term and long term.
>>
>>2736387
Lots of rattlesnakes this year, fellow western leaf. Alberta has tons this time of year anyway, and with how dry last year was there hasn't been too many mosquitoes. Good time to find danger noodles.
>>
File: Tsuchinoko.gif (27 KB, 300x289)
27 KB
27 KB GIF
Would you own one as a pet?
>>
File: lobster-roaches.jpg (360 KB, 800x800)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
Anyone have any experience with lobster roaches? How good of a feeding response will they elicit in something dumb like a frog?
I've kept Dubia and Lateralis roaches and so far these are my pros and cons.
Dubia
+ovoviviparous
+smell strangely pleasant
+easy to handle
+fun to handle
+useless enough that I trust them inside
-very few of my animals can take down an adult
-slow breeders
-terrible feeders that will freeze or bury themselves as soon as they hit the dirt necessitating tong-feeding which encourages obesity and lethargy
-smaller arboreals which fear tongs are almost impossible to feed with these
-nymphs have very tough shells for their size and aren't good for froglets
-ability to turtle and become an impervious stud on a wall
Lateralis
+fast breeders
+wandering behavior entices predators
+fear response is to run faster
+frogs can teleport
+even when they freeze they still wildly flail antennae in fear
+nymphs small and soft enough for weak jaws
-smell like roaches should
-difficult to handle and contain
-have to sift through shit to harvest ooths
-look disgustng
-have to be kept in the garage

I see lobsters as more of a middle ground between these, but I've also heard that they combine the cons of both into one. This true?
I think I should mention that I'm feeding several species of arboreal, terrestrial, and semi-aquatic amphibians along with some inverts. I see the climbing ability as the most immediate problem. My arboreals will have no issue but I don't want my non-climbers and semi-aqs to have to sit and glare with impotent rage as the roaches hang out on the ceiling. Do the nymphs exhibit the same ability or can they make good toad fodder?
>>
>>2739883
Hell yeah, I would.
>>
File: big man on campus.jpg (172 KB, 1280x831)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
Look at him, he thinks he's such tough shit.
>>
>>2740327
he is tough shit
>>
File: 98798977989.gif (368 KB, 380x498)
368 KB
368 KB GIF
so i've had my young beardie for around a month
and a half now. I've tried to hold him and let him run around in a room with me watching him. I doesnt seem it still hasnt warmed up to me yet. when I go away his belly/chin is pure white, but as soon as it see me and im at my computer his belly seems to get darker. Am I doing something wrong? I dont try to force him to do anything. Do some of them just take a long time to warm up? its probably around 8-9 weeks old
>>
>>2740388
Young is the key word. They all have their own temperaments but will generally get to the point where they are ok with handling as they grow. There are exceptions but it's rare to meet a beardie that will regularly try to run or seriously defend itself as an adult unless it's had very little contact prior. Just keep at it. Let it have some treats occasionally when it's been out for awhile to help condition it that coming out isn't bad.

I don't really have data to back this up but one trick that's always worked for me with timid and "aggressive" beardies is putting them in water. Deep enough that they have to swim. They don't like having to swim without having things to latch onto in water that's too deep. Basically you offer your hand as an escape from the water. This changes their view of your hand. You just do this until they stop seeing your hand as a threat all together. That's not to say you get it done in one sitting if they are resistant since you can't keep them in water too long. And don't worry they aren't smart enough to piece together that you're the one putting them into the water in the first place. They will just think about getting out.
>>
>>2740388

It takes time.

>>2740408
>putting them in water. Deep enough that they have to swim. They don't like having to swim without having things to latch onto in water that's too deep

This is completely unnecessary. Do not recommend.
>>
File: gecks.jpg (23 KB, 500x421)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Never owned a herp, but I do eventually want one of some kind
Have always liked Iguanas, Hoggies, and Fat Tailed Geckos, though I know Iguanas get pretty fuckin' big, so they're out of the question
Which would be better as a first reptile out of either Hognose or Fat Tail?
>>
>>2740495
It's not like you leave them in there to drown. They float and swim right to your hand.
>>
What other species can snakes get along well with?
>>
>>2740567
fat tail
>>
>>2740567
>>2740968
scratch that, get a leopard gecko for great justice
>>
Do pit vipers make good pets?
>>
>>2740950

None.
>>
File: 6926905861_0414d2dccf_b.jpg (343 KB, 1024x683)
343 KB
343 KB JPG
Looking to keep dart frogs, my tank is an exo terra with a metal mesh top. Should I replace the top with something glass? I would think I would lose humidity with the mesh.
>>
>>2731597
Then either make the next thread yourself and include them or stop acting like smug cunts who think you've got clout because you own crocodilians so people don't feel the need to exclude you. Seriously the last time crocs were brought up it devolved into the retard in >>2731357 and that other one who thought being a croc owner made him cooler than the average reptile owner.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (134 KB, 1920x1080)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
What is the shitbull of reptiles?
>>
>>2740179
You can train arboreal species of frogs to eat from a cubicle. I do this to my A. Callydrias. I also use crickets since my mother is afraid of roaches, and they are the worst feeders out there. I break their jumping legs and put them in a recipent tall enough they cannot scape, and my A. Callydrias will just go there and eat. They associate the box with food, and its the first part of the terrarium they visit when they wake up. I imagine you can do this with roaches too...
>>
>>2741341
Snapping turtles, no doubt.
>Retarded people buy them without thinking about consequences.
>They get fucking huge and agressive in less than 3 years.
> Fucking retarded, messy as fuck, they look like an abomination.
>OhnowhatdoIdowiththismonster
>>
>>2738138
bump
>>
>>2739883
Sure, Paramedic, but how does it taste?
>>
>>2741563

Looks like nobody here knows, anon. Try asking on other reptile forums maybe?
>>
>>2741212
Yes, currently keeping darts and I switched out my mesh top for glass as per lots of research suggestions. It really keeps the whole thing wet and humid in there nicely, so much that If I open it up and lower my face near it I can literally feel the difference between it and the rest of the room. The little guys love it in there.
>>
Biblepost ahead.
>Saw tribolonotus novaguineae CB in shop.
>Decide to get one.
> Set a 60×30×30 cm terrarium for a juvenile female: layered; peat moss, coco fiber, filtration layer. 1/3 covered with heat cable in the outside, thermostate set in 30°C during day and 25°C during night. Hot and cold hiding spot. Planning to mist 3 times a day as I do with my A. Callydrias and my H. Ebraccata. Water cup for swimming.
>Go to my always-100% reliable shop to get her ( bought nearly 7 herps and inv. From them, only 1 died and they inmediately refunded)
>The tribolonotus had a wound with fruit flie worms infection.
>They took her to the vet and treat her for a week. She was fatty and eating, the wound was superficial and not parasitic.
And now I am waiting for the breeder to contact me and having some doubt. Tribolonotus seem to be a hard species to have, but I have been preparing with leopard geckos, a nephrurus whelerii, and A.callydrias, Litorias, and other arboreal tropical frogs. I think I can keep the humidity high by misting since my frogs live quite happy but (... Cont)
>>
File: IMG-20180706-WA0003.jpg (2.63 MB, 4608x2592)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB JPG
>>2742958
But I dont know. I might kinda want to remove the water dish, throw some propagating plant there, remove the cold spot too, and toss some dart frogs ( 3 Leucomelas) there and forget about the tribolonotus. I know the terrarium is not the best-looking in the world, but adding one or two more plants could make it better fit for some darts. I also am not too keen on decoration vivariums and am inclined towards more utilitary ones (easy cleaning). So I wouldnt like making a overstocked vivarium just for dendros. What do you think, /an/ons?. This is not about the prize at all. Since the tribolonotus was "Sick", if it dies within 1-2 months they will 100% refund me the money.
>Tl dr. Wait for a tribolonotus who had a little wound in the back or get 3 leucomelas?
>>
So hey, it's been a few weeks now with my BTS and he's been okay. The first week was hectic, the second week seemed normal, but now I'm concerned about other things.

I was told BTS are very inquisitive/like to move around, but even though I have two hides and lots of foliage for my little guy to hide under, he never moves around his cage anymore. In fact he moves around so little that I feel like he must've just moved around in the beginning so he knew what his tank was like. Also, he seems sorta lethargic unless I start trying to take him out, which I've attempted to do once every 2-3 days.

I'm feeding him berries as treats when we interact, but I don't want to give him too many. Also I've fed him catfood(upgrading to dogfood this week) and lots of varied chopped veggies along with like 2-3 berries on top. Am I doing something wrong?

I get nervous to take him out since he doesn't seems to hide 24//7. Pic related is him.
>>
>>2742991
Maybe the temperature isnt high enough?
>>
>>2743002
He has a 107 degree hot spot where he is in the picture. Albeit it only gets that hot on top of his hide, but still I think it's warm enough, unless it's supposed to be 107 all around.
>>
>>2743013
>unless it's supposed to be 107 all around

Nope. Heat gradient is important. You want about 75-85 on cooler end, 90-100 on the basking spot. If anything it could potentially be too hot. What's your temperature on cool side?

I assume you've got a source of UV light in addition to the basking bulb?

Sprinkle a little bit (sprinkling mind you, like a light dusty of powdered sugar on a donut) of multivitamin like Repashy Calcium Plus or reptivite on the veggies twice a week. Double check feeding chart to make sure you're selecting the best staple veg. Cut out the cat/dog food for a bit and try the other recommended protein staples. Hardboiled eggs, canned snails, and boiled unseasoned chicken tend to be a favorites of bluies.

All that said, you're still only a month in and this appears to be a sub-adult or adult from the picture. It'll take a while for acclimation process to complete.
>>
>>2742969
>Wait for a tribolonotus who had a little wound in the back or get 3 leucomelas?

The frogs will be a more rewarding herp to watch but it's up to you. Health issues for the croc skink are a bit worrisome but it sounds like your breeder is well on top of it.
>>
>>2738476
UPDATE:
The morning after, he had burrowed himself under, probably overnight.

I left for vacation (which I’m still partake in) the day after, making sure I had someone to keep an eye on him all week and the dogs. They say they’ve been spraying him as I directed. A friend who knows a bit more about herps came to feed him and unburrowed him. He was in a similar state as before while this happened, and is apparently still like that. Caretaker described him as “soft” and he’s said to appear limp, but that’s how he looked in the last instance of this behavior. His eyes were also closed.

She said the humidity was at 80% and temperature was 70. I told her to put on a heat lamp that I had over him, usually heating the area about 8 degrees warmer.
Again, they told me about this today and I’m thinking (hoping) he’s burrowed like last time by the morning.
What the fuck do I do? What can I do so far away from home?
I’m legitimately worried about him and am having some anxiety. Anything would help.
>>
>>2743657

Okay this is getting a bit unusual. Have your friends continue care as directed. When you get back it's probably a good idea to take frog to the vet to at least do a fecal exam.
>>
Can BTS be kept in cages for hedgehogs and cunpigs? If you locate 2 heat sources underneath and a big lamp for the basking spot so the temperature is kept high even in winter (where my home is at 20°C min an 30°C max) providing a nice substrate, and hiding spots, would it be possible?
They are much cheaper and bigger, and maybe it would work since humidity is not so important for them.
>>
>>2743738
He wasn’t burrowed when they came to check on him and was apparently still in the same position.

Eyes still closed, and when I asked her to try and get him to eat by opening his mouth she said it was “hard”
But I just found out that the caretaker has had the AC blasting, making my room 66 degrees F. He’s used to around 75-85 degrees.
Fuck.
Is he dead? I told them not to do anything with the frog and to keep doing the daily routine.
>>
>>2744180
no
>>
>>2729671
I’m looking to ask other’s opinions. Are green iguanas the absolute worst lizard as far as being a pet? Or is there anything worse?
>>
>>2744317
Snapping turtled
>>
>>2734459
>Heh, my iguana was really friendly
You got really lucky. They are almost always total assholes, and even when they aren’t they usually become mean once they mature. Then even if that doesn’t happen they can still just flip out one day randomly for no reason.
That’s only green iguanas though, just get a different species if you’re set on an iguana.
>>
>>2744360
Uh anon turtles aren’t lizards.
>>
>>2744317
nile monitors
>>
>>2744367
not the iguana guy but ive always liked iguanas myself and always kinda wanted to own a green iggy, didnt know about the whole most greens are assholes thing, what other iguana species are in the pet trade? Rhino? Any of the species in Ctenosaura?
>>
Got two african dwarf frogs.
One is just eternally floating but the other seems ok.
How do I feed these mfs? They don't even go after the food.
>>
>>2744180

Nope. If you'd like to save money, I suggest building your own. Easiest material to make a terrarium out of it melamine. Melamine is a laminated particle board commonly used for inexpensive furniture/desks/shelves. The benefit is that it does not have to be water sealed like plywood would be. Only need to silicone seal the joints on the inside.

Here's a youtube tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVdxs9pGizI
>>
as someone who doesn't into reptiles, why are tokays so aggressive?
>>
>>2744427
Post picture of tank
>>
>>2744612
Thank you man, I'll save that tutorial. The thing is, being in my 20's, I cant afford to get another 1m*1m enclosure in my parent's home. I will have to wait until I'm not a neet to get my BTS
>>
Can someone tell me what kind of reptile this is?
>>
>>2744427
I had one dwarf frog. Used to impale dead fish (like congealed fish filettes we all eat) in the smallest sizes in the end of a wood skewer and move it in front of their mouths. That made the trick.
>>
>>2744615

Just happened to work out that way. The only answer I can give is that their threat response, contrary to most other geckos, is to stand and fight rather than run away.
>>
>>2744185
>Is he dead? I told them not to do anything with the frog and to keep doing the daily routine.

Possible but unlikely. 66 degrees is not fatal for a pacman frog, although it may cause them to enter a light brumation state. I suspect your frog may have had a preexisting health issue when you bought it.
>>
File: 20170904_160726.jpg (3.41 MB, 5312x2988)
3.41 MB
3.41 MB JPG
>>2744615
As far as gecko go Tokays are like the tiger of the gecko world.
They aint going to take shit from anyone and have a very strong bite for their size.
They also hunt other lizards and eat small mammals if they get the chance to, they wont pass up the chance to take hatching of small birds if they so happen to bump into them.

Also their bite is fucking strong and they dont often let go once they got you.
Very beautiful animals to own but you need to be aware that they will probably not like you coming close to them or trying to pick them up so they are mostly if not always a display animal.

This is my gecko hes around 4 years old now.
>>
>>2744764
annnd it posted it flipped...
Fucking swear to god, sometimes it flips it sometimes it dont flip it.
Not sure why it does this...
>>
>>2744764

Cute garg.
>>
>>2744621
I don’t know, looks more like an amphibian to me.
>>
>>2744621

That is robot. Not animal of any kind.
>>
>>2744379
Desert, rhino, and chuckwallas. But honestly unless you want to go all out and get a rhino, I’d just recommend getting a more reasonable lizard. If you’re trying to not get what every other person has look at blue tongues or jeweled lacertas.
>>
>>2744764
does that make leachies the grizzly bear of geckos?

Gargs are actually pretty vicious predators themselves. They have a taste for other geckos including their own. For some reason they just mellow out really easy around humans in captivity.
>>
>>2744373
I guess I should’ve said name a worse lizard that anyone can go out and buy, I don’t really mean to include really uncommon and/or super expensive shit. But yeah those things can literally kill you so you aren’t wrong.
>>
>>2744792
Yea my gecko has never bitten or jumped out of my hand in a panic once.
when he was little he was a little jumpy and abit frightful but once he grew older he chilled the ever living fuck out.

It's pretty insane how calm they become compared to their juvenile state, also yes they are quite aggressive to other geckos and have quite large teeth compared to most gecko species.
>>
>>2744803
True. Even with minimal handling as hatchlings they are very tame as adults. I think they're pretty underrated in comparison to cresteds. Less prone to hiding, less spastic (as adults) just in general.

My female garg is a lazy potato. And also a weirdo. She likes to sleep in the most bizarre and uncomfortable looking positions. If I put a little bowl of phoenix worms in her tank for her to munch on, she will hang upside down from the foliage above the bowl with only her back feet and lunge her face in to the bowl. I wish I had video of her doing this batman routine.
>>
>>2744814
My male periodically roams around his enclosure during the day to go to different sleeping spots, hes very confident in moving around during the day and I often see him just stroll right along too these areas.

He just dont seem to give a shit when you see him moving around unlike so many other which freeze when they are seen and try to play it off as if you didn't notice them.
>>
So my African dwarf frog just up and vanished without a trace. Wtf
>>
>>2744887
I have one that as a baby would just freeze up. No matter how much you poked her she wouldn't budge or flinch. Then I have another that would constantly bite me and shit on me as a baby. She's fine now too.
>>
>>2745061
Elaborate
>>
File: IMG_20180607_210409390_LL.jpg (2.49 MB, 3264x2448)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
Hanz and Idge the Pacific chorus frogs. These guys are called that for a reason. Although it seems like a blessing, they have been calling a hell of a lot less. Maybe once every two days Everything seems alright but what could it be?
>>
>>2745236
I've read somewhere that frogs expend calling more than 30 times the energy a bird spends calling. The amount of energy they need is fucking insane. What I'm trying to say is, the period of mating is fairly limited so they do not get exhausted. Every minimal environmental change, or maybe the fact that they dindyyyggyyyyyyyhyyyyyyyyyyy
>>
Is the thread even working
>>
>>2745689

/an/ is a slow board, anon.
>>
>>2745236

SUPERB froggies.
>>
File: thot begone.gif (2.6 MB, 384x480)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB GIF
/an/cord kill?
>>
File: frens.jpg (173 KB, 1024x600)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>
File: broad-snouted-caiman-1.jpg (210 KB, 1024x600)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
posting gators for the gator posters. I like death rollers too, just would never attempt to keep one as a pet. They're an appreciate from a distance kinda murder machine for me.
>>
>>
File: smugbabygator.jpg (111 KB, 1280x848)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>
I got a ball python with a bioactive enclosure a few months ago. Things have been going well enough so far, but I'm starting to think I might be better off just getting some regular bedding at the pet store. The plants seem to not be doing too well, for whatever reason, and the thing is a breeding ground for fruit flies which is really obnoxious. What do you guys think? Should I keep the real dirt/plants or replace them? I'm open to either option, a shame the about the wasted money but no use crying over spilled milk, I guess.
>>
>>2747384

Yeah, bioactive for a ground dwelling snake can be tricky. They have a tendency to smoosh all the plants. Gnats and fruitflies are pretty well par for the course with that setup, too.

If you do switch to ordinary substrate mix, take all the old substrate out and give the tank a thorough cleaning to kill off any gnat and fruitfly eggs that may remain.
>>
I love the way these little guys look so much. Seem like a bad choice for someone like me that has never kept a herp before though, yeah? They need large and very humid enclosures don’t they? I’m thinking that a small python would be reasonable. Are they hard to care for?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1531369432414.jpg (17 KB, 474x315)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>
>>2747403

Croc skinks are very shy on top of the care requirement stuff. Not a satisfactory first reptile unless you really REALLY think croc skinks are awesome and you think you will be content with only seeing it out in the open once or twice a week.

>I’m thinking that a small python would be reasonable. Are they hard to care for?

Sure. Much easier care, much more amenable to human interaction. For pythons on the smaller end, I highly recommend spotted python or children's python. Or you could go with a rosy boa or corn snake. Spotted and children's pythons aren't rare in the US but they're not bred in the kinds of numbers corn snakes are. They can be a tad expensive relative to corn snakes for that reason. Rosy boas run a little cheaper than the pythons, a little more expensive than corns.
>>
>>2747299
Reminds me of that small shark pic that someone made into a monster girl. What're the odds that someone does the same to this grumpy looking lil' shit?
>>
So I have a screened in balcony like pic related on my shitty Floridian stilt house. The old nigger that used to live here built it for her finches. Could I free range anything in it? Something pretty to look at and unafraid of people but also not strong enough to slash open the screen like an Iguana would. I was thinking monkey frogs or some giant day geckos. Opinions?
>>
File: IMG_20140529_205958.jpg (2.46 MB, 3264x2448)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
an old pic of Tiny the snake when she was still a tiny snake
>>
>>2747726

Potentially yes. Might have to keep them in indoor tanks if it gets too cold in winter (depending what part of Florida you live) but otherwise I don't see why not so long as escape routes are sealed and there are no little nooks and crannies where geckos/frogs can venture and get stuck.
>>
>>2747837

Neat. What kinda snake?
>>
File: 20180712_224211.jpg (2.52 MB, 4250x2391)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
>>2747837
>>2747847
Corn Snake!
she's a big girl now. Here she is doing a big reach
>>
File: 20180712_231328.jpg (2.45 MB, 4250x2391)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
>>2747837
>>2747851
lil snoot
>>
File: IMG-20180712-WA0013.jpg (124 KB, 1200x1600)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
The tribolonotus is healing in the vet. They may hand it to me today. Im extremely excited for this. The most expensive/rare herp I've ver had, competing with my nephrurus wheeleri.
>>
>>2735596
>no fuck off I'm dead
kek
>>
>>2737997
Pretty snake
>>
>>2747851

Ohhh okay. When I looked at your pic last night I had f.lux on, makes my screen colors different, I thought I was seeing a blue snake with red saddles and that got me all confused.

Lovely corn.
>>
>>2748021

Wound doesn't look too bad. Good luck with new croc skink!
>>
>>2748305
So they didnt. Wound is not totally fully healed so I may have to wait until wednesday or tuesday :'(
>>
Is any kind of hognose a good beginner snake? I’m very close to deciding to get some kind of snake and they’re just so stupid and cute looking. How are their mannerisms compared to other options?
>>
>>2748474
Hoggers are fine as beginner snakes
They might spook you if you arent ready for them to be dramatic as all hell since they love to mock strike and hiss up a storm until you pick them up and turn them into placcid tubes.
They are pretty fun but they start really damn small to
>>
>>2748474
You want a western, which is like 99% of what's sold anyway. Morph doesn't really matter.

They get "angry" easy. They will hiss, hood, puff up and bluff strike but very VERY rarely ever actually bite of out defense. Fun to watch and some of them put on a show for you every time they see you. Usually you can just scoop them up and they will stop but a few will continue to throw a fit. It's not a bad thing, it's one of the pros to hognoses. They are active and entertaining. Outside of their little displays they are usually calm and eager to explore when taken out.
>>
>>2748456

No worries on that. It's good they want to wait until wound is well healed before giving to you. That's responsible care and good sign your new buddy is in good hands.
>>
>>2747853
What kind of corn is that? The yellow on the face throws me off.
>>
>>2748519
Thats a kind response, anon.
Im somewhat in a hurry because I'm going to germany the 24th of july until the 31st (A whole week) and, despite having mates that take great care of my animals while Im away, I would love to monitorize the new addition for at least 5-6 days before leaving for a week.
I dont want the tribolonotus (her) to return to the original enclosure since the source of the problem were fruit flies, and the whole shop is infested with them (feeding dendros and that shit, fruit flies are almost never a problem). I dont want her to be moved back from the vet to the original home, just to be stressed again in two weeks changing her home again when I return. Poor girl is stressed enough in tue vet right now. Thats why Im somewhat in a hurry, I would leave with more confidence feeding her at least one or twice in my own home.
>>
>>2732430
High humidty is also good for shedding
>>
File: reptilian_alien.jpg (50 KB, 300x384)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
**Awkward cough**..........here before us...
>>
NEW THREAD
>>2749208
NEW THREAD
>>2749208
NEW THREAD
>>2749208
>>
>>2749214
Get in the new fucking thread goddamn
>>
>>2737613
why are your hands full of cracks?
Do you drink less than 2l of water per day? Do you live in australia?
>>
>>2749321
THIS
IS
NOT
THE
NEW
THREAD
>>
File: 1527122298784.jpg (31 KB, 324x307)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>2749351
>autismo creates new thread way too early
>"s-stop posting because I say so!"
>>
>>2749359
Shut up, you are the autismo idiot
>>
File: 1510860210662.gif (995 KB, 319x240)
995 KB
995 KB GIF
>>2749447
>>
>>2749214
why make a new one already you fucking autist?
>>
>>2749278

Look anon it's fine if you want to start a new thread but please wait until the existing one hits bump limit in future.
>>
>>2749715
I will in the future. Sometimes this board is too slow and I just get desperate.
Sorry
>>
File: jav0jlyib0811.jpg (896 KB, 4032x3024)
896 KB
896 KB JPG
>>
>>2750971
Xenopus are the cancer of frogs
>>
>>2748615
Anerythristic
>>
>>2747726
Both would be good. I'd go with the giant monkey frogs if you want to go with frogs, because they can create a skin secretion that other species in their genus can't which means they can handle being in the sun all day. They also act more like reptiles, they like basking and actually don't like too much moisture.
All though personally, I wouldn't let them or the geckos free range. Birds and herps are very different. The herps would likely hide somewhere or escape. I'd recommend just making a big DIY cage for them out of screen and plywood.
>>
>>2751099
Meanie.
>>
>>2744367
both iguanas ive owned have been friendly. the larger rushes out of the cage to sit on your head too
>>
>>2741341
Snakes.
>>
Hey fellas, I need some info and Google is being unhelpful
I have a bearded dragon, recently out of hibernation past 2-3 days, and about 30 minutes ago his beard turned black (not really unusual, he saw my other beardy as I was misting him) he opened his mouth quite a bit, started to inhale/exhale large breaths, his eyes became fixed, and he started thrashing about. It looks like he had a seizure, and I'm not sure what caused it and want to know. Can't call a reptile vet as it's currently late at night (Ausfag). Is there a disease or parasite that can cause this reaction?
>>
>>2753928
you should try blowing a fat bowl in its face so it can relax
>>
>>2753928
mine does that when his giant undigested cricket shits are being too hard on his asshole

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.