[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 97 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Dinosaur discussions. Also, I work in Paleo, ask me anything.

Picture is Hadrosaur skin impressions from the lab.
>>
>>2737960
so what dinosaurs are actually feathered? whats the consensus on that now?
>>
Just to stimulate discussion, any feelings on Yi? I personally think that the "styliform elements" are misidentified radiuses, not magic wing struts.
>>
>>2737965
Some were, some weren't. Depends on the family, size, and environment of the animal.
>>
>>2737960
Im not a dinofag, but I have the basic knowledge that isn't based off jurassic park. whats the biggest misconception I probably have
>>
ah I love me a good skin impression
>>
>>2737986
Velociraptors were the size of turkeys, not man sized animals.
>>
>>2737989
We get a lot out here, actually
>>
File: 1514756026484.png (26 KB, 632x756)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>2737991
what. redpill me again OP.
>>
>>2737960
Why is it always skin impressions and never a face impression? I want to know what dinosaurs looked like already
>>
File: 1529951471573.png (1.32 MB, 1600x587)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
>>2738007
the biggest raptor is utahraptor
>>
>>2738143
Which was thought to be the same as Velociraptor at the time Jurassic Park was written
>>
What dinosaurs do we know could swim? I only know 1 and a half. The half being spino and for the time being I don't trust shit about spino. If sloths and tapirs are good swimmers surely we have an idea what likes to swim that doesnt have flippers.
>>
>>2738158
Spino being a swimmer is the only thing se know for sure about it
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 259x194)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
REMINDER: Triceratops had ass spikes
>>
>>2738152
It's actually bigger
>>
>>2738041
Daspletosaurus horneri. That's all I need to say.
>>
>>2738143
Dakotaraptor is slightly larger, I'm afraid.
>>
>>2738166
Triceratops skin impressions have never shown quills or anchoring points. It probably didn't have spikes, sorry man.
>>
>>2738158
Most could probably swim for a short time. Lurdusaurus was very hippo like and was possibly semi-aquatic.
>>
>>2738007
OP here
Biggest raptor was Dakotaraptor, which lived alongside Rex. It was 20 feet long and weighed 700 pounds.
>>
>>2738268
oh yeah forgot about that fella
>>
>>2738270
except we have already found one that has buddy
>>
>>2737960
Hi guys, doesanyone know of good paleoart about mesozoic europe, cretaceous maybe?
As a european, i have always liked to imagine vast, beautifully tropical islands full of long forgotten creatures. It also gives me that summervibes dunno
>>
>>2738349
That's news to me, and exciting. Do you have a link, I looked and failed to find anything.
>>
>>2738361
I can't say I can think of someone who specializes in that. But if I were you, check out the animals of the Sanpetru formation and Hateg Island.
>>
>>2738727
>>
>>2738279
well damn again. Where there any mega bugs at the time that were predators like predators today?
>>
>>2738737
There were big bugs but they were before Dinosaurs showed up. Meganeura was a raven sized dragonfly.
>>
>>2738732
I don't see any quills...
>>
>>2738764
damn pt 3. Where there much bigger insects alive that we don't know about? Or was there a physical limit and the meganeura was one of the largest.
>>
>>2738805
there are larger insects alive right now than Meganeura
>>
>>2738805
During the time the giant bugs were around, the oxygen in the atmosphere was amped up, so they could get bigger that nowadays.

I forgot Arthropleura. 7 foot millipede.
>>
>>2738818
Such as? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
>>
>>2738828
damn pt 4. Maybe I should be a dinofag after all. Any good reads for a pleb like me? I read a lot of science literature, so I won't mind if it's very dry writing
>>
File: unscientific american.jpg (89 KB, 500x674)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>2738830
There's hundreds of species, Meganeura wouldn't even make the top 100 by weight.

it had large wings, but it wasn't a particularly large insect other than that.
>>
>>2738836
Dinosaur Odyssey is awesome. Wonderful Life is outdated and not dinosaurs but still awesome. If you like pictures, The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs is fun.
>>
/x/ gave a better dinosaur thread for fucks sake
>>
>>2737991
>Velociraptors were the size of turkeys
That sounds terrifying. Little vicious fucks.
>>
>>2738952
No more terrifying than a wolf or fox, just another predator.

Allosaurus must have been a real monster. Ever seen the injuries those things could survive? Insane.
>>
>>2738766
>a literal shit tier jurassic park brainlet
What are you even doing in a dinosaur thread
>>
>>2739234
There's no quills or anchor points. Those deep pits are from the larger scattered scales. Sure, Psittacosaurus had quills, but there is no evidence whatsoever for large ceratopsids bearing quills. And I should have said "I don't see any quill anchors"

This Jurassic park brainlet works in Paleo. Do you?
>>
Lads, been working in museums and doing volunteer digging for a little while now, realising that I have very little interest in making it a long term career with biological research. Is there much excitement in taphonomy?
>>
>>2739237
I don't really know, that's something I don't have as much exposure to, I just dig and prep. But I'd bet you could find something interesting taphonomy-related.
>>
>>2737960
What is the sexiest Dino?
>>
>>2738849
ok thanks, I will check my library for them. I also want to know what is the sexiest dino, redpill me once again.
>>
>>2739237
Taphonomy is 10% paleosol geology and 90% paleopalynology. That's cool stuff if you're into it. Most people aren't. Sometimes there's a little stratigraphy or biostratigraphy thrown in, but usually not.

It usually just gets a tiny mention in an article because there's only so much you can learn from taphonomy. There's not a lot to it in most cases, and it's only of interest insofar as it informs our understanding of paleoecology.

sometimes it's relevant if, e.g., you find what appears to be an Allosaurus fragilis astragalus in glacial detritus after the K-Pg boundary in Australia. In rare cases like that it becomes necessary to understand. Or if you find soft tissue in a Tyrannosaurus femur. But stuff like that is extremely rare, and even then the taphonomy of the piece- while interesting- is sort of a side-mission on the larger science.
>>
>>2737960
how long did it take you to become a paleontologist?
>>
>>2739957
Do you get paid to prep? I do but only when the museum is quiet. I went months without having a good go at it. Thinking about leveraging my museum experience to try and get one of the summer lab jobs at the Royal Tyrrell.

>>2739970
That's not encouraging. I'd have an interesting honours project lined up but where to after that? I like geology, but every man and their dog wants to do exploration.

Because I like fieldwork I was thinking about chalking up my degree as a loss, saving money for a few years and going over to the UK which I can get a long term visa for when the archaeology apprenticeship that's in development becomes available. With their big infrastructure projects there's a few decades of work. Their entry level wage is grim though.
>>
whats some good dino vidya
i mainly play modded paleo minecraft
>>
>>2740007
What mods are you using and which version?
>>
>le furry t Rex meme
>>
>>2738268
Holy fuck, no it isn't. Utahraptor was well over 1k lbs in weight.
>>
>>2737960
Did Mylus Saurus twirkle?
>>
>>2738955
They're also cannibals, nasty fuckers
>>
File: download (1).jpg (279 KB, 1000x765)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
>>2737960
Which?
>>
Is Jack Horner's chicken project actually possible?
>>
>>2740128
What is the exact difference if i might ask?
>>
>>2739958
Microraptor was probably gorgeous.

The sexiest fossil specimen is probably Borealopelta
>>
>>2739963
>2740256
>>
>>2739994
Still working through my career. I'm really a Paleo technician at this point.
>>
>>2740005
Summer lab jobs are the way to go, and field is even better.
>>
>>2740066
Almost no way it was furry. Skin impressions limit where the feathers would be to silly little patches, and any animal that large in that environment would cook with any body covering. So if it had feathers, it wasn't much.
>>
>>2740074
I was going by length, but weight is a better metric, and you're absolutely right. Utah was an absolute bruiser of a raptor.
>>
>>2740128
Depends on how retarded Sereno and his little friend are. There's a possibility that the Spinosaurus we have is a mix of growth stages, but I really haven't looked at the papers enough.

If I had to guess, probably the lower one.
>>
are there dinosaurs in the afterlife
>>
>>2740194
>jack horner
>plausible

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
File: microraptor.png (121 KB, 400x348)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
>>2740256
>Microraptor
I can't waifu this. anything else?
>>
File: Microraptor.jpg (240 KB, 1000x1205)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>2740292
The colors of Microraptor are actually known, and if this was an anime girl it'd be catching some dinosaur dick
>>
>>2740289
Seconded
>>
>>2740263
Do you get paid to do field work? I feel very grateful for the opportunities I've been given, but that's even better again, congrats.
>>
>>2740213
Legs
>>
>>2740303
Yes I do, what I have how is technically an intern position.
>>
>>2740292
There aren't exactly dinosaurs with tits my dude
>>
>>2740298
how are colors known from fossils? Also really no other dinosaur waifu? There must be one
>>
>>2740482
Nice, good work
>>
>>2738268
That’s where you’re wrong, kiddo
>>
>>2741071
Some animals are so well preserved, the shape of the melanosomes of the feathers, and very rarely, skin, can be seen under a microscope. Melanosomes' color is tied to their shape, and that's how we can figure out color.

Carnotaurus had some serious thighs, but that's all I can think of.
>>
>>2741387
If by length, Dakota wins. Weight, Utah wins. I went by length.
>>
>>2741679
Carno is a leg man's dream come true
>>
>>2741908
Try Brontomerus on for size too. Literally translates to "thunder thighs"
>>
>>2737960
Should we trust Chinese discoveries?
>>
>>2742069
Is there a reason we shouldn’t?
>>
Is horner as much as a meme among real paleontologists as he is in the online community?
>>
>>2742091
Chinks are notorious shady liars.

Also, all the chink dinosaurs look like existing species but with giant fucking spikes on them for no reason. Its retarded.

>ching chong ding ling
>dis dinosaur rike stegosaurus except have shoulder spike and THREE tail spike
>prease gib money for expedition, western piggy
>>
File: carno.jpg (4 KB, 295x171)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
favorite theropod? pic related is mine
>>
>>2741935
UGH THICK
>>
>>2742111
>ching chong ding ling
>bing bong wring long
>>
>>2742069
Gotta be careful with them, a lot of doctoring can be done on the black market before they actually fall into the hands of science
>>
>>2742113
Acrocanthosaurus. Love the big guy. Daspletosaurus is a close second.
>>
>>2742104
To quote a co-worker;

"Horner needs to stop fucking with taxonomy and get back to fucking his barely legal girlfriend"

Yeah he's a meme
>>
>>2742091
the majority of Chinese fossils are found by dirt poor farmers illegally digging for them who then sell them to dealers and museums

the first issue is obviously these are ignorant podunk farmers and not actual Paleontologists, meaning a ton of information is lost this way such as the age of the rocks the fossils come from and a farmer might innocently combine fossils he finds close to each other than don't actually belong together

the second issue is that complete specimens or new species fetch higher prices, thus outright forgeries are VERY common
>>
>>2742111
I actually think most Chinese specimens are genuine. That being said, "western piggy" made me laugh like an idiot

But Yi is a mistake. Those "styliform elements" are just misidentified radiuses. It didn't have special bat wings.
>>
>>2742291
Exactly. Thanks communism for fucking with science.
>>
>>2739236
Even 'scientists' who work in the field can be wrong.
>>
>>2742295
Absolutely. Mistakes are made all the time. Ive seen a PhD paleontologist misidentify Tyrannosaur genuses. But until proof is found of triceratops with quills, I don't believe they had them. If I turn out wrong, I'll admit it and won't fight it.
>>
>>2742104
>Is horner as much as a meme among real paleontologists as he is in the online community?
no.
he's well respected and generally well liked.

he's on a par with Bakker. A bit of a character, but so many paleontologists studied under him or worked with him that he's extremely popular.
>>
File: IMG_20180708_195749.jpg (2.44 MB, 1944x2592)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
>>2742224
Thicc as hell. If you want thicc, check out Pinacosaurus.
>>
>>2742306
A B S O L U T E U N I T
>>
>>2742306
what book is that?
>>
>>2742321
Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs. Some of the author's conclusions aren't right in my opinion, (such as claiming Teratophoneus is just a species of Tyrannosaurus) but it's still one of my favorites.
>>
>>2742304
Do you work in Paleo too? I'm curious.
>>
File: Carnotaurus_2017.png (3.72 MB, 4319x2511)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB PNG
>>2741679
>melanosomes of the feathers, and very rarely, skin, can be seen under a microscope.
well damn pt4.

>Carnotaurus
yes. I can waifu this. Why my waifu have such small hands though? I'm not trying to judge her or anything, but can she do anything with them?
>>
>>2742338
Not anymore.
I worked with Horner though, as have tons of paleontologists past and present. The man has produced hundreds of students and coworkers. He's prolific and he's been doing this a very long time.
>>
>>2742414
>I worked with Horner though, as have tons of paleontologists past and present.

produce proof

i really dont believe there are accomplished paleontologists here.
>>
>>2742419
lol, I'm not accomplished. I never got paid to do any paleontology.
>>
>>2742290
I've met her irl. There's nothing romantic between them. They got married to contractually deal with some university nepotism fuckery.
>>
>>2742419
Do yourself a favor and stop talking to this guy
>>
>>2741680
Okay but in your professional opinion which one was sexier?
>>
>>2742475
jokes on you, I'm most of the people on /an/.
>>
I’m not gonna leave until I know what the sexiest dinosaur is.
>>
>>2742521
There are no sexy dinosaurs
>>
>>2742113
Used to be spino, now it looks fucked up with those legs
I'm a dinosaur fag without a dinosaur
>>
>>2742419
OP here. Wouldn't call myself accomplished, but I get paid to do it and my career is coming along, so I have experience. And Horner is a meme. He's not hated, but a meme.
>>
>>2742414
Yes he has, but he's got weird ideas and does weird things.
>>
>>2742472
That doesn't make it much better
>>
>>2742498
Utahraptor was thiccer, but in a masculine way, it was heavyset and brutish. Dakotaraptor was more slender, so despite being a thicc lover, I ain't gay. Dakotaraptor. Pains me to say it, cause I came from Utah and I love Utahraptor.
>>
>>2742763
You've still got Oxalaia, Suchomimus, Baryonyx, etc. Spinosaurs still exist. But they were lame, they didn't have the jaw strength to crush bone or hunt big dinosaurs, the jaws were too thin and would break. Gotta go for the big allosaurs.
>>
>>2742976
None of them have the size, the sail or the actually strong jaws Spinosaurus had
>>
>>2742961
>but he's got weird ideas and does weird things.
so does Bakker.
it's part of the reason so many people love them.
>>
>>2742091
Take any chinese scientific publication with a grain of salt. There's a good reason why most notable chinese scientists are in Western research groups

The Chinese are known to flood scientific literature with shitty articles with dubious results and conclusions, just to appear better when getting funds from their government

I don't work in Paleontology, so I don't know if it's better, but be extra skeptic with them
>>
>>2743232
>I don't work in paleontology
We can tell
>>
>>2737960
You are happy with that work?
>>
>>2738143
I could have swore deinonychus was bigger than that
>>
>>2743636
They’re adjusted for financial inflation
>>
>>2743425
Extremely. I'm going to fight tooth and nail for success in this career.
>>
>>2743809
Is there a dinosaur you could take on a 1 on 1 fight?
>>
>>2743135
Oxalaia was big and may have had the sail, we don't know. And twist Spinosaurus' jaws laterally, they'd break. They weren't that strong, I'm afraid. Rex had triple the bite force.
>>
>>2743810
Absolutely. Any of the tiny ones, they'd be no harder to kill than a chicken or rabbit. Maybe some of the deer sized herbivores or little carnivores, but that's it.
>>
>>2743750
I'm glad to see you understand maniraptoran economics
>>
>>2742400
The color stuff is amazing, yet they keep finding ones they can color!

She could wiggle them affectionately.

What are you looking for in a Waifu dinosaur? Help me out a little, I'll find you something.
>>
>>2743820
Is this a common thing in paleontology or something? Do people often ask you which dinosaur would make the best wife?

What dinosaur could help me weed my garden? Its a pretty small yard if that helps.
>>
>>2743851
I can't say I've ever been asked it before. But I'm adaptable.

Well, if we're talking animals that would eat the weeds but not crush the garden with their feet, dryosaurs or hypsolophodonts would be good, or a small ceratopsid like Psittacosaurus.
>>
>>2743820
>What are you looking for in a Waifu dinosaur?
mostly anything I can cuddle with comfortable and will blush at the slightest thing. I am opened minded, so don't hold back on me. I want best dinosaur waifu or why even live really?
>>
>>2743970
You could try not being a mentally ill faggot.
>>
>>2743999
and how does that help me find a dinosaur waifu?
>>
>>2743814
T.rex is cheating, Spinosaurus had at least a 2 ton bite which is really good considering the other members of it's family
Also it's jaw was far more robust than what people think, especially compared to bary and sucho
>>
>>2737960
Oh i have one
--
Is the blue whale the largest living animal to ever officially exist? Aren't there any dinosaur experts who are skeptical about this? It's to do with gravity and potential to grown in water, so weren't there ever (potentially) larger dinoaur?

Also what are the odds the log ness monster is real, and what dinosaur would it be then?
>>
>>2744150
>Is the blue whale the largest living animal to ever officially exist?
Officially, yes. I doubt this, however. Any contender for largest animal ever is always compared to a certain morbidly obese blue whale specimen.
>Also what are the odds the log ness monster is real
zero
>>
>>2740194
God I wish I were a millionaire so I could just throw money at shit like this
>>
>>2744199
Can you elaborate please? Or are you just another opinion on that..? cause then nvm

Why specifically
> 'doubt' this

And why
> 'zero'
>>
>>2743970
So, by cuddle with, you don't want horns or spikes?

Afraid there isn't much about dinosaur blushing, not a metric I can use.
>>
>>2744094
Spinosaurus is cool, but it just doesn't compare to the bone crushers.
And unless you can link something attesting to the jaw strength/robustness, I'm led to believe they were weak.
>>
>>2744199
>morbidly obese blue whale
Does that even happen? I can't imagine a completely wild animal becoming morbidly obese, let alone one that migrates across the entire planet regularly
>>
>>2745116
>So, by cuddle with, you don't want horns or spikes?
yah, pretty much. Few horns/spikes here and there are ok, but I just don't want to be cuddling with ankylosauria type thot. Just lie to me and say the dino waifu does blush or why even live really?
>>
>>2745120
You can easily find them by searching spinosaurus bite strenght and things like that
>>
>>2745124
Reptiles don't blush
>>
>>2744150
>Also what are the odds the log ness monster is real
Zero
>and what dinosaur would it be then
None
>>
>>2744430
We have recorded a great many blue whale specimens so we have a very good idea of how large they can get. The fossil record is very incomplete, so when we find a gigantic animal from the past, the odds that it is a large representative of the species is low. Effectively, when comparing the blue whale to other large animals, we are comparing the biggest blue whale ever to what is probably an average member of another species.
The odds that a breeding population of large marine reptiles has persisted in a relatively small lake for 65 million years with no one seeing them is very very very low.
>>
>>2745121
Damn, good point.
It's not like they get to store all kinds of fat due to drinking plethora of liquid sugar soft drinks all day, their diet of fish probably even has all the healthy fats.. for humans anyway
>>
>>2745247
Thanks, excellent contribution

>>2745399
I like this argument a lot more, in fact i can't believe i've never before seen anyone make it.
Of course the odds of finding the biggest dinosaur of their kind are unlikely. Every website just keeps explaining that the blue whale is in fact the largest ever animal to live on earth.

Anyway, extremely low is still not 0
>>
>>2745240
I have, and found a 2 ton bite force and jaws not meant for twisting or handling large prey. It was the nightmare of big fish and maybe small dinosaurs going for a drink.
>>
>>2738143
What is the point of feather on arm if no flight?
>>
>>2742966
Bunch of butthurt oldfags jealous the dude got some prime ass. If you really want further age restrictions between consenting adults then legislate them, otherwise you are a prude. Have similar shit happen all the time in my family, just keeps the younger girls fucking Chad or Jamal longer before realizing they are roast beef at 24.
>>
>>2745481
iirc its the same reason ratite birds have wings when they're flightless, for balance when they run. I might be pulling this out of my ass though, being im much better with modern birds than dinosaurs myself
>>
>>2745481
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMuzlEQz3uo
>>
>>2745399
your argument is true except for the "largest blue whale ever" part.

in fact you're comparing the largest blue whale in the last 100 years or so. I mean, blue whales have been around for a few million years, there's no possible way the largest one we know of also happens to be the largest ever.
>>
File: Bayesian-tree (2).png (1.23 MB, 3532x1562)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>>2737965
There is only evidence for feathers on dinosaurs, whether these are impressions, quill knobs, or amber or so on, for about 50 different species of dinosaur. All except one of these (Yutyrannus) are for animals smaller than a man.
That's all the pure empirical scientific data. However, one can logically extrapolate that very similar animals to those discovered had feathers. Velociraptor has quill knobs. Velociraptor is a maniraptoran dinosaur. Ergo one can deduce that other maniraptoran dinosaurs, such as Deinonychus, which has no skin or integument fossils, could have had feathers.
However you have to be careful when you do this. Yutyrannus is a distant relative of Tyrannosaurus. It is large, and has feathers, however Tyrannosaurus and its closer relatives actually have significant evidence of scales with no evidence of feathers. This does not totally disprove the existence of feathers for it, but we can only really judge based on the evidence we have.

Generally though, a useful tool for determining if an animal probably had feathers, is looking at its general shape; the more it looks shaped like a bird, the greater the chance of it having feathers, and the less it looks like a bird, the lower the chance. So a Struthiomimus, which looks almost exactly like an ostrich, very likely had feathers. An animal like Triceratops or Parasaurolophus which have a loose or partial similarity to bird anatomy might have had feather like bits on it. A gigantic Diplodocus on the other hand which looks nothing so much like an iguana lizard stretched out to the size of several elephants, can reasonably be assumed not to have any feathers.
>>
I have a few Q's, I hope u have some A's!

1. Do you know if t-rexes really make the roar like in the Jurassic park/world series?

2. I saw some article online and it said t-rexes might've been herbivores, or omnivores at least. Confirm?

3. Is there a possibility that prehistoric aquatic animals still exist today, like megalodons?

Thanks in advance if u get to this!
>>
>>2746019
>1. Do you know if t-rexes really make the roar like in the Jurassic park/world series?
No. Though they could probably "roar" the same way alligators do (and in fact, part of the JP sound effect involved alligator vocalizations), the JP roar consists primarily of elephant trumpets and lion growls. Birds and reptiles do not make sounds the same way mammals do, and cannot make the same sounds. But that does not mean they can't make threatening sounds. Listen to emu and cassowary calls on youtube and then pitch those down to match a 10000 pound animal instead of a 100 pound animal.
>2. I saw some article online and it said t-rexes might've been herbivores, or omnivores at least. Confirm?
Not a chance, even the ignorant child can figure out that sharp teeth go with carnivores and blunt teeth go with herbivores and omnivores. Whoever wrote that article was either a genuine buffoon or else a deliberate troll, probably from The Onion or Babylon Bee or some other satirical "news" site.
>3. Is there a possibility that prehistoric aquatic animals still exist today, like megalodons?
Not a chance and anybody gullible enough to believe that needs to go to >>>/x/
>>
>>2737960
Is a utahraptor the ideal raptor to have as a battle pet? Like, Im not striding for anything big like a rex, but I do want to ride it sometimes.
>>
>>2746051
Is a grizzly bear a good pet? Because a large dromaeosaur is about the same size as a bear, and about equally as dangerous, except fully carnivorous and always stuck in ultra-violence mode instead of chillaxing-while-foraging-for-berries-or-scrounging-around-your-tent-for-slim-jims mode.
>>
>>2746136
If I train the bear, then yes its a great pet. Im sure a huge, carnivorous dinosaur is no different
>>
>>2738727
I want to see more of the girl
>>
>>2746019
1. For all we know, dinosaurs chirped. There isn't much known about dinosaur vocalizations, save for a few exceptions.
2. Hell no. They were carnivores through and through, there are constant Rex tooth marks in the bones of other animals.
3. Doubt it. Megalodon was an open ocean cruiser, its not hiding in trenches. I suppose there's a tiny possibility, but I'd bet against it.
>>
>>2746051
Depends. Do you want something fast, or something more brutish?
>>
>>2745490
More likely she's just a golddigger and he's a creepy old man.
>>
>>2746320
I literally know her irl. She says it was just a legal action to get out of some nepotism issue. She asserts that there has never been anything romantic between them.
>>
>>2746349
Alright then, fair enough. Still seems weird, and I don't see how that makes the nepotism any better.
>>
>>2746362
She was getting pushed around by faculty for some alleged sexual harassment something or another. They were gonna throw her out of school until she got around that via some nepotism clause which she used after she married Horner. The details are very obscure and since I don't know her well, they aren't exactly forthcoming.
>>
OP here. I've got to go I to the field for a few days. Keep my thread alive, boys.
>>
>>2746402
bro, how the fuck you gonna just dip on me and leave me without a dino waifu. You want me to anhero or what?
>>
>>2746402
>things we'll never see pictures of
>>
>>2746402
POST PICS
>>
>>2746599
that would require him to be telling the truth about literally any of this.
>>
File: a fright.jpg (14 KB, 115x151)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>2738955
those things died just as often from those injuries probably due to throwing themselves at Sauropods
>>
>>2738841
considering Meganuera's body was over a foot long and a half it was defiantly was heavier than any living insect
>>
>>2746406
I'll be back, my dude. Waifus come to those who wait.
>>
>>2746580
>>2746599
>>2746686

I'll be doing Paleo magnetism sampling, but we may encounter bone. I'll take pictures, thou disbelieving heretics. If the thread dies, I'll start a new one with the pictures. It can be hard to tell where bone ends and where rock begins, but I'll do my best with the pictures.

Have some faith you pessimistic fucks. I'll be back Sunday. I'm not larping.
>>
>>2746894
You ever think about the utter devastation that was the impact?

The unimaginable devastation, like you look to the horizon, maybe it’s midnight. Animals buzz and dinosaurs snore when for some reason- the sun rises, earlier than usual. Then, oblivion. Your world is literally on fire, a thousand miles to your left, a thousand miles to your right, if you were on the gulf that’s all that’d surround you. Unimaginable hell surrounds you as superheated rock and glass literally rains down from the sky. And it lasts, for days, years- nothing but hell after hell as the sun is blocked out by shield of acidic clouds. And all you know is that everyone everywhere is going to die.
>>
>>2737960
Do you play ark survival evolved?
>>
>>2748988
I am OP and I have returned.

Honestly, I find the Permian/Triassic extinction much worse. A long period of earth choking itself to death.
>>
>>2749448
Not into games, I'm afraid. I'm an outlier of my generation. But I have tried beta versions of The Isle.
>>
File: 1529970294825.jpg (11 KB, 325x325)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>2750272
I got you now ya bastard, where my dino waifu?
>>
>tfw from NZ so will never find any fossils

kill me desu senpai
>>
>>2750272
I like to think of the Permian Extinction as a “Soft Reset”.
Where you’re like “Ah hell I don’t want it restart all over again it took me a billion years to get multicellular. Shit let me just pick my favorites and delete the rest.”
>>
>>2750296
Are you kidding me?
You guys have Tuataras and instead of Bigfoot sightings you have “Giant Moa” sightings.

Look at that little non-lizard reptile thing. Hardly looks any different since it was around during the Jurassic period.
>>
>he doesnt think god put dinos on the arc
How did they survive the flood then brainlet
>>
>>2750482
They built their own arc that was pulled by the spinosauruses during the flood
>>
We have a paleo discord server now.
http://discord.gg/HXVSVNf
>>
>>2750490
This. Fucking idiot, do you even read the Bible? They used a pteranodon instead of a dove too for the olive branch/twig thing.
>>
>>2750280
Leaellynasaura. Has a female name, is small, and is fuzzy.
>>
>>2750296
They are there, but just hard to find and rare. Sorry man.
>>
bumpin fo interest
>>
>>2750272
Nah, man. The K-Pg is significantly worse in destruction. The Permian suffocated the earth and suppressed the development of new species while the old ones gradually went extinct. In the K-Pg everything burned to death over the course of about a week.
>>
OP here.

We didn't find shit, all the pictures I have are landscape, but they don't prove anything. But I can prove that I work in Paleo, if anyone actually cares.
>>
>>2750911
I appreciate it. I've come to learn that threads live a long time here on /an/, but it's still cool to see that people are interested.
>>
>>2750490
The goyim know
>>
>>2751247
No, it's fine.

fossil prep isn't working in paleo anyways. We train senior citizens and grad students to do that here in the US, we don't even pay them. It's right up there with being a janitor at a museum or working in the cafeteria at college and saying you "work in paleo."
>>
>>2751253
Fossil prep is only part of it. Everyone here, even the PhD guy, does it. I do plenty of field work, and I'm looking for something to start a paper on. I might look for mammal teeth in a undated formation nearby in order to determine the age.

And to prove it: Marginocephalin. Soon.
>>
>>2751260
>And to prove it: Marginocephalin. Soon.
that doesn't really prove anything.
again, the janitor or lunchlady at my local college has that sort of info.

what a professor is working on isn't some top secret info. If you worked in paleo you'd know that.
>>
>>2751265
Well, I'm not with a college, for one thing.

How do you want me to prove it? Doxx myself?

I guess I'll post pictures of the quarry when I go back out.
>>
>>2751272
If I wanted to know who you are I'd have no problem finding out on my own. I don't really care.
>>
>>2751274
>If I wanted to know who you are I'd have no problem finding out on my own
p-please no senpai, forgive me
>>
>>2751277
I like to imagine you ducking ropes and sneaking into labs in Australian museums like some photographic fossil ninja stealing verboten shots of esoteric rocks.

if I found out you were actually a lab assistant I'd be bored and disappointed.
>>
>>2737960
What is your favorite non-archosaur extinct critter? Pick related
>>
>>2751274
Oh, so you're not really curious, you're just a faggot with an ego. Got it.
>>
File: Jonkeria.jpg (161 KB, 1500x799)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>2751299
Non-archosaur? That cuts it down, admittedly.
Jonkeria. Or any of the weird dinocephalians. Lizard hippo bears.
>>
>>2751302
I don't believe OP is doing fieldwork and I'm not at all surprised he didn't post pics.

I'm not curious who he is because I assume he's not who he claims to be.
>>
>>2751372
Ah yes, you know so much! Your brain so big!

I can post the pictures, but you'll explain them away, I'll bet.
>>
>>2751378
>you'll explain them away, I'll bet.
probably.

was that you that ID'd the capybara skull as a rodent? If so, nice work.
>>
>>2751384
You're an asshole, but not the worst.

I know fuck all when it comes to mammals, I wouldn't dare to guess on anything mammal related.

First picture. Exploded limb bone.
>>
>>2751403
>>2751378
I'm retarded, also.
>>
Hadrosaur ass
>>
File: IMG_20180621_113052986.jpg (1.81 MB, 1456x2592)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
These aren't from my latest expedition, I took these a few weeks ago and forgot I had them.

Hadrosaur tail
>>
File: life_.png (806 KB, 1001x823)
806 KB
806 KB PNG
>>2750804
s-she's perfect...

thanks you senpai, I will love her 4ever
>>
Reverse image search all you want, and claim I don't work in it. Doesn't change the fact that I do.
>>
>>2751418
I feel a legitimate strange pride in helping you find a dinosaur waifu. Best of luck, dinosaur waifu man, I'm always here for you.
>>
Guys I’m angry. ANGRY ABOUT TEXTBOOKS. I wanna read up on Precambrian life and all that cool/sexy shit because I’m so fucking down for that. But the books out there seem kind of scant, Cambrian stuff too. So I figured “shit why not a textbook” but hell if these damn things aren’t expensive. I kinda figured I could used a previous edition since textbooks in my industry change yearly and drop 90% of their price each time but this bad boy has been the standard since 2001 it seems. Anything to do?
>>
>>2751427
Wonderful Life. Its outdated, but still fantastic. It does have a Cambrian focus, but there is a bit of ediacaran and stuff about the small shelly fauna.
>>
>>2738955
it would probably be more akin to a mountain lion with swords on its feet
>>
>>2740007
DUDE mother fucking Jurassic World Evolution. It’s basically a completely upgraded Operation Genesis, like Operarion Genesis 2. It’s fuckin dope as shit I’ve been waiting years for OpGen2 and this is basically it. It’s for steam and PS4 and shit.
>>
>>2740264
Rex lived in a variety of temperate and tropical climates. Still didn’t have feathers though. Maybe the young did but that’s blind speculation as is saying Rex had feathers
>>
>>2742113
fucking love carnotaurs. You think the arms would have disappeared eventually, given time? think about that, a giant, armless apex predator
>>
>>2751457
A fat velociraptor would weigh 60 pounds, and a really really small mountain lion weighs the same, but they're usually around 150-200. So velociraptors were kinda between a bobcat and mountain lion. But the sword thing holds
>>
>>2751459
OP here. I'm not big into games but God damn did I love operation genesis. I may have to look into evolution.
>>
>>2746037
The “t-rexes couldn’t roar” meme is less believable than the scavenger thing. Any animal that large would be absolutely loud as fuck. It wouldn’t tweet or some dumb popsci shit. So yes, it would “roar” or vocalize and it would be loud as all fuck.
>>
>>2751469
Me either, but I can’t put this down. It’s the only video game I’ve played in like 5 years.
>>
>>2751467
so that would be like a deinonyke
>>
>>2751489
That's closer to it, absolutely. Deinonychus was around 130 pounds
>>
>>2751260
Don't even indulge him. I've seen other good threads killed by otherwise knowledgeable faggots insistent on being the biggest dick in the room.

His views on preparators are either hyperbolised in order to be obnoxious or naive, the reason why retirees get trained up is because they have money and they have time, and you need a community of people that can work for extended periods of time and that can develop an intimate understanding of the materials from the site they are working on and how they behave.

They are either egofagging or haven't got anything remotely challenging in their lab.
>>
>>2751478
You know, I don't really know anything about that. Its hard to conclude anything without soft tissue preservation, and that's not likely to happen. But who knows. But given that dinosaurs didn't exactly have exceptional hearing, that may not have been very vocal one way or the other. If anything, I'd imagine Rex making rather crocodile like noises.
>>
>>2751531
I considered ignoring him, but he wasn't too bad. He was just too silly and egotistical to actually be taken seriously.

And I see tons of retirees in the lab, and they all have taken the time to learn about the animals that they're now working on, they're smart people.

I think you're right. The matrix I work with isn't particularly challenging, but the specimens can be important, like the tyrannosaur skull, which I don't dare touch at my current skill level.
>>
>>2751534
b-but I'll find out who you are...
>>
>>2751570
y-youre making this up, I'm always right, right?!
>>
>>2751478
Are you eleven? you need a syrinx to produce that kind of vocalization
There is no evidence of dinosaurs having syrinxes
>>
>>2740007
I really enjoyed Far Cry Primal. Not exactly Dino vidya but cavemen are a woefully unexplored genera and this game created a great, immersive atmosphere.
>>
>>2751406
>>2751407
>>2751408
ah yes, that surely proves it.
there's no possible way anyone that doesn't work in paleontology can take pictures of dinosaur bones out in the desert.

ah well, you tried.
sort of.
>>
>>2751531
my views on preparators are that they're not paleontologists, and under no circumstance is a hobby preparing fossils a step on a career in paleontology.

yes, paleontologists DO prep fossils. But no, prepping fossils won't make you a paleontologist.

so when I say it's like the janitor promoting himself to curator, I mean it very literally. OP works in paleo in only the very loosest sense, in much the same way that a person selling toys in the museum gift shop "works in paleo."

this is not a comment on the difficulties of fossil prep, it's a comment on how not-really-paleontology it is.
>>
File: 1449087885011.png (34 KB, 1194x608)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>2751732
>birds have feathers
>dinosaurs are ancestors of birds
>it's reasonable to assume that many dinosaurs had feathers
>birds have syrinxes
>dinosaurs are ancestors of birds
>it is somehow unreasonable to assume that any dinosaurs could vocalize at all
>>
>>2746019
1. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4dcQO6Zb8Eg

2.lol no

3.Their are tons of prehistoric creatures living in the ocean just not really big ones
>>
>>2751478
First the feathers now this, whats next the trex didnt have lips?
>>
>>2752120
there are people who unironically believe this
the meme really only started in the dinosaur renaissance when people started shrinkwrapping dinosaurs to make them more lean and active looking and then it got popularized in film to make T. rex a scary movie monster instead of just a normal (if impressively sized) predatory animal

as a side note, the very first restoration of Tyrannosaurus rex EVER is this painting by Charles R. Knight from 1906
>>
>>2751899
This sounds similar to stuff that goes on in the culinary industry, from which I Identity, long story short in my third party opinion I can say:
You sound like a fuckin’ dick. I know ego when I see it.
>>
>>2752176
>snake head

looks bad and inaccurate ,head was much larger
>>
>>2752081
Syrinxes could be an evolutionary feature that developed once birds broke off from dinosaurs. There's no way to know without fossil evidence.
>>
>>2752120
Yep. Look at the new Daspletosaurus horneri. Sure looks like tyrannosaurs didn't have lips.
>>
>>2752187
I wouldn't be surprised if ego boy here worked in Paleo, a lot of the guys do have egos. My boss sure does, but he controls himself and brings himself back down to earth. He's not out of control like Sereno, I've heard he's a self-fellating asshole. Which sucks, I looked up to him before I got into this line of work.
>>
>>2752198
It was based off fragmentary fossil evidence at the time, and it placed the eyes forward of the actual orbits in one of the fenestra in front of it
the red circle is where Knight mistook the location of the eye, the green arrow is where it actually was

the thing about older restorations, while they seem foolish to us in hindsight, is that they generally based their views of dinosaurs solely on the information they had at the time rather than hypothesizing and extrapolating and speculating very far
these scientists were uninformed but they were not stupid, and they strove for the utmost scientific accuracy even if they ultimately failed in most respects
>>
>>2752199
>There's no way to know without fossil evidence.
And there never will be because syrinxes don't fossilize; even though we have thousands of fossils of extinct avian fauna, no fossil syrinx has ever been found for even recently extinct organisms such as Moas and Dodos.
Now which is more likely - that syrinxes evolved a few thousand years ago when we have the first written evidence of archosaurs making vocalizations, or that they evolved hundreds of millions of years ago contemporaneously with the dinosaurs which themselves certainly made vocalizations like every other terrestrial vertebrate on the planet?
>>
>>2752201
Carr's lipless Daspletosaur argument is full of more holes than the crocodile skull he poorly used as an analogy
>>
>>2752246
There was vegavis iaai, which was late Cretaceous, which had a preserved syrinx. So they can fossilized with really excellent conditions.
Quite frankly, I don't know. Syrinx evolution isn't something I specialize in, but I wouldn't be surprised if dinosaurs had them.
>>
>>2752248
What holes? If it's wrong, I'd like to know why.

The Paleo guys I work with all say that they didn't have lips, but they may not have looked into it too much. But to be fair, there is no clear evidence for lips.
>>
>>2752313
>But to be fair, there is no clear evidence for lips.
There's no clear evidence for lack of lips either. But practically every other animal has lips, with the exception of crocodiles which are very specialized and derived. It seems strange to assume that they would not have them.
>>
>>2752313
>What holes?
The foramina. That was a joke, the foramina are tiny little holes pockmarking the skull of reptiles. Carr argued that Tyrannosaurus had a face like a crocodile because both crocodilians and Tyrannosaurs have the foramina around their gumline. He neglected to mention that almost every single extant toothed reptile on the planet has this exact same feature to varying extents. He also neglects to mention that crocodilians have foramina over their entire skulls, whereas Tyrannosaurs only have it only around their gumline - exactly like the rest of reptilia.
Either Carr et al were ignorant or deliberately disingenuous, because if anything the skull of a Tyrannosaurs bears closer resemblance to a marine iguana or varanid than any croc or gator.
>>
>>2751899
>under no circumstance is a hobby preparing fossils a step on a career in paleontology.
That's bullshit, people do still come up from the ranks. The lab manager at my old museum has no formal academic qualifications, nobody but you would have reservations about saying that they work in palaeontology. I know of another long time volunteet preparator and digger, a former school teacher, that now has a research associate position. Is somebody in a paid research position in palaeontology not a palaeontologist?

You've got no real reason to disbelieve OP, you just seem to want to be the biggest man on an anonymous imageboard, it's contemptible.
>>
>>2752328
That's true. But I tend to lean towards lipless. Tyrannosaurs replaced so many teeth, they didn't need gums to protect the enamel. That's what my brain says, but whatever evidence wins, wins.

The crocodile comparison is used due to it being the closest living ancestor besides birds. And birds are no good when it comes to the lip debate.
>>
>>2752332
I got the holes joke, I could have phrased my response more clearly.
That's very interesting, I didn't know the foramina argument to such an extent. I'll look into it myself, but thank you for the information, it's great to understand these things more clearly.
>>
>>2752335
OP here. Don't bother replying to him, you're just feeding his bloated ego and atrophied penis.

But watch Marginocepha this week.
>>
>>2752514
>they didn't need gums to protect the enamel
I'm not entirely convinced that tooth moisture requirement is a good argument for the biological function of lips considering there are countless animals with lips that are partly or fully aquatic - the pinnipeds, the odontoceti, and untold numbers of fish, and even some turtles. Furthermore, the argument that crocodilians need water for their tooth enamel is just as preposterous because they are perfectly content to spend several days at a time outside of the water just letting their teeth bake in the sun.

>>2752516
You might appreciate an actual paleontologist's explanation http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2018/01/did-tyrannosaurs-smile-like-crocodiles.html over my strictly amateur understanding thereof.
>>
>>2751893
Get raped
>>
>>2737960
How big was the T-rex dong?
>>
>>2752518
It's interesting to me how most of the topics you discuss here you learned from me first.

but I digress. You don't want to hear from me. And that's fine. It just means you no longer have a source of information upon which to draw while being a pretend paleontologist on 4chan.
>>
>>2737960
what's your take on the whole pachycephalosaurus=stygimoloch=dracorex hypothesis
also what is the coolest dinosaur ever and why is it allosaurus
>>
>>2739234
lol get a load of this hothead
>>
>>2752615
>Allosaurus
Most pleb theropod, even T. rex would be a better choice.
>>
>>2752615
I think it's correct the they're growth stages, and thank god, dracorex "hogwartsia" was going to make me cringe forever.

Allosaurus is actually fantastic, ever heard of the specimen with the healed broken jaw?
>>
File: 20180627090239_1.jpg (279 KB, 1920x1080)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
>>2752615
I like Stygimoloch, but I think I'd sacrifice it to get rid of that faggoty ass Dracorex
it's a bad name (not just for le harry potter reference) but it also just a shitty boring looking animal
>>
anyone ever went looking for fossils? One time in high school my physics teacher took us to this random as creek in new jersey that had shark teeth, squid bones and clam shells. water was cold as fuck but it was a pretty good time.
>>
>>2752874
>ever heard of the specimen with the healed broken jaw?
No. How in the fuck did it survive such a crippling injury?
>>
>>2752615
Dracorex is most certainly a juvenile Pachy however Stygimoloch looks to be a different animal some saying it should be P. spinifer if its not its own genus
>>
File: cringe.gif (176 KB, 220x224)
176 KB
176 KB GIF
>>2752880
>it's a bad name (not just for le harry potter reference)
>The type (and only known) species is Dracorex hogwartsia, meaning "dragon king of Hogwarts"
fucking hell I didn't know that was the species name
Fuck, I hate Harry Potter fags so much
>>
>>2738764
From what I can find Meganeura had a roughly 2ft wingspan whilst ravens are more like 4ft
>>
>>2752880
>that name is real

fucking god dammit
>>
Stygimoloch is fucking based though, I hope it's real and not nomen dubium, other Pachycephalosaurs can't even compete
>>
>>2752946
also applies to Anzu
>America has the best oviraptorosaurs, don't we folks, believe me
>>
why is it so hard for many people to accept that the Dinosaurs had both Feathery and Scaly species?

I mean look at Primates , look at Rhinos and horses , look at Hippos and Whale
>>
>>2752882
OP here. I collect trilobites all the time, I've got hundreds of the suckers.
>>
>>2752925
I thought that all the Stygimoloch specimens showed signs of being juvenile, and they seem to fit nicely between Pachy and Dracorex.
>>
>>2752926
And then there's the lizard called fucking Obamadon.
>>
>>2752936
Figures, the estimates always seem to be changing.
>>
>>2752907
No fucking idea, but it did. For whatever reason, Allosaurus just seemed able of surviving crazy injuries.
>>
File: plateosaurus.scene.jpg (90 KB, 427x274)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>2752949
>America has some great dinosaurs folks. Eurosaurs are a joke! Megalosaurus? You call that a a giant theropod? It's a mess! We have T rex, acrocanthosaurus, utahraptor. A lot of hard working apex predators.

So what type of dinosaur would you like to see discovered next, /an/? I think a basal spinosaurid would be interesting, like a halfway point between a proper spinosaurid and a more generic megalosaur. Or something that establishes a more clear relationship between early saurischians. Imagine if herrerasaurus turned out to be a basal sauropodamorph. Or better yet, a true carnivorous prosauropod
>>
>>2753158
I want people to make hypothetical restorations of speculative intermediate evolutionary stages to fill in the gaps in the fossil record. For example - Allosauroids pop up more or less out of nowhere in the middle of the Jurassic. Surely there had to be some critters in between Coelophysis and Yangchuanosaurus. Same deal with sauropods, in the early Jurassic there's just some small-to-medium sized prosauropods like Massospondylus and Anchisaurus but then about 50 million years later you've got the 70 foot long Jobaria.
>>
>>2753158
I want another Yi, cause I'm not convinced it had those dragon wings, but a second specimen would settle it.

I think the "styliform elements" could be misidentified limb bones.

Also, a sauropod to bridge the American Cretaceous gap would be cool.
>>
>>2753136
>Obamadon
"in reference to the tall, straight teeth, and the manner in which Mr. Obama has acted as a role model of good oral hygiene for the world."
>>
>>2753136
>there's the lizard called fucking Obamadon.
Yeah, he was the 44th president of the US
T. David Icke
>>
File: Maj.jpg (716 KB, 915x780)
716 KB
716 KB JPG
>>2742113
Majungasaurus because it's a handsome boi
>>
>>2742306
what's the name of the book?
>>
>>2753158
Carnivorous quadruped
>>
>>2753902
Was he particularly well known for that?
>>
>>2751459
It's literally inferior to JPOG in every way, what are you talking about
>>
>>2753904
We need a big tyrannosaur called Imperatorsaurus trumpensis or something.
>>
>>2752081
The first instance of a syrinx appeared in a prehistoric bird(no not a dinosaur but a literal duck)
>>
>>2752907
Allosaurus magic
>>
>>2753136
A subspecies of nigersaurus i presume
>>
>>2753981
>patriarchosaurus cisscumsis
>>
>>2753979
The media said he was so it must be so, after all they're right about everything and he was a scandal-free president who totally deserved that nobel peace prize he got before he was even inaugurated.
>>
>>2753980
JWE is literally the exact same game as JPOG but with better graphics. There is no difference except the amount of dinosaurs in the game (JWE has more) and the fact that tornadoes in JWE don't instakill every guest, building, and dinosaur they touch. Aside from that has all the exact same flaws and boons as JPOG.
>>
Are Spinosaurus bipedal or quadruple?
>>
>>
>>2754024
both
>>
>>2753999
>guests are retarded, have no preferences and do literally nothing
>interactions are locked in shitty forced animations that completely break the immersion, dinosaur fights are now Pokémon shit instead of dynamic brawls
>dinosaurs don't sleep unless they're tranqed or they're fucking dying
>despite pretending to be movie accurate the game shows a pathetic favoritism to the t.rex by making it enormous while nerfing the size of every other contender like spino and indom, giganotosaurus was literally nerfed to be less than half it's real size
>dinosaurs grazing is just a visual effect, doesn't affect their appetite
>vehicles cannot be destroyed in any way by the dinosaurs
>pack behavior is absent
>instead of climbing the fences like in JPOG raptors will bash their heads against motherfucking concrete full yolo
>raptors cannot latch onto large prey anymore
>carnivores have no hunt meter anymore, now they just kill everything
>indoraptor is LITERALLY the ONLY dinosaur with unique kill animations
>if a dinosaur winning a battle doesn't have a kill animation suitable for the opponent the loser just fucking ragdolls like a bitch
>lethal suppression is absent
>dinosaurs don't wake up if they're tranqed and then left alone but they fucking die for no reason
>indom doesn't fucking change color
>has all the problems JPOG had and fixes none of them despite being a 2018 game made as a spiritual successor to a 2003 game
I don't want to derail the thread but come the fuck on senpai, the game is a massive fuck you to everyone
>but Frontier will fix-
You know they won't
>>
>>2753158
So basically the jp3 Spinosaurus?
>>
>>2754024
Quadruped spino was widely accepted as a meme theory way before the leg controversy
>>
>>2752907
Probably a “social net” I.e., they lived as a family unit or maybe it survived off fish or something. Hibernation???
>>
>>2752880
I’m still mad they replaced Homalocephalae with this defunct asshole.
>>
>>2754051
By WHO?
>>
>>2754073
by butthurt spinofags
>>
>Jurassic Park tried to slowly introduce Feathered Raptors
>People chimped out
>Jurassic World outright said that the Dinosaurs aren't real Dinosaurs but Frog mutants to appease both Featherfags and Scalesfags
>People Chimp out

weird thing is that Feathered and Scaled Dinosaurs would be as different as a Man and a Chimp or a Mammoth and Elephant , not much
>>
>>2754073
Everyone with a functioning brain, theropod arms aren't made to support weight and the shoulders would explode if it tried to
It could balance itself fine with it's tail despite the itty bitty legs, don't be the avarage /an/ troglodyte that takes the new hot theory as objective truth because it's controversial
>>
>>2753980
How many levels of contrarion are you on?
>>
>>2754235
Read the list above
>>
>>2754259
half of those things are straight up lies and the rest have nothing to do with JPOG but are just bitching about things you don't like
>>
>>2754295
>straight up lies
They're not, they're all things JPOG did and better
>>
What dinosaur documentaries are required /an/ viewing?
I'm going on a binge at the minute, just rewatched WWD and all the other stuff by the same people. Would like your suggestions for what to watch next
>>
>>2754959
ask that question in the other dinosaur thread, this one is autosaging
>>
>>2753980
>It's literally inferior to JPOG in every way
it literally isn't
Its lacking on certain things but the only thing JPOG had that Evolution doesn't is herding/packing A.I. on the dinosaurs. Everything is is vastly superior.
>>
>>2754971
>A.I. on the dinosaurs
You mean running around in circles doing nothing when it's alone?
Keep ignoring factual evidence while guzzling on Frontier's cum, i'm not the idiot who wasted 60 bucks on an inferior 2003 game
>>
Trilobytes > Dinosaurs

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.