[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Today I found a juvenile crow on my walk home. He didn't seem injured but he only flew as well as your average chicken (about 2 feet of air if he tried real hard.)
Anyway I chased him around some and caught him and took him home. His whole big crow family screamed at me from their tree while I was doing this and then his parents followed me all the way home.
I got him home and called the nearest bird rescue that was still open (several towns over).
I told the lady:
>He has no baby down left, just big boy feathers
>His flight feathers are stubby and he can't achieve lift off
>Both legs are ok
>Both wings open fine
>He's not abandoned. Mom and dad are freaking out because I kidnapped him
She said that right before crows achieve adulthood, they have a "soft penning" period where they try their first flight out of the nest, invariably fail, and then spend a few days flopping around on the ground, until the last of the blood on their feathers dries up and they are light enough to fly. It's totally normal.

So I told her I knew where his nest tree was and could take him back, but the spot is:
>A busy walking/biking path
>Between a busy road and a canal
>When the crow first saw me he panicked and jumped into the canal (he kinda half swam/half floundered back to shore right away - but could he have drowned?)
Not a great spot. She asked if there was a quieter place nearby that I could take him instead. Well I could just have taken him to the other side of the canal, but if I did and he tried to get back to the other side where his family is he would most likely drown. Not to mention the reason why the ducks and geese and crows nest on the busy human traffic side of the canal - Because the opposite side of is where the coyotes hang out.

The lady agreed it's not a good spot. I told her I'd abide by her judgment whether to take him back to his family or take him to a vet tomorrow.
She said it was a tough call.
>>
>>2747519
You're a fucking moron. I hope those crows shit on you.
>>
File: KAAAAH.png (67 KB, 432x371)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
You are in peril of making enemies for life. Return the juvenile to where you found it, or the parents will get the whole crow murder on your case forever.
>>
>>2747519
youre actually fucking retarded
>>
>>2747519
In the end I took him back to his family. Because my family were pissed I brought a filthy animal home for the millionth time (last critter was a deer mouse whose eyes were not quite open yet) and because his parents will probably take care of him better than I could. (I asked the lady if his parents would keep him from going on the road but she obviously couldn't say any more than I could).

So I took him back and he wouldn't get out of the box. His parents in the tree didn't recognize me because I changed my clothes. The whole murder in the tree was silent and sullen because they thought their baby had been kidnapped and eaten. I lifted him out of the box and he sat on my arm for a moment and then flopped away. I sat in the grass and I watched him for a while. He recognized he was home and was very calm. He hopped around casually. I watched for about five minutes as he made his way further and further away from his tree, closer and closer to the road. When he got to the curb I went over and herded him back to his tree and his family, who resumed screaming at me - so at least I know they noticed him and recognized him. Confirmed for them doing nothing to prevent him getting hit by cars.

I don't know if I did the right thing. I will check on him when I walk home again tomorrow and let you guys know if he's still ok.
>>
>>2747552
In other sad news, a family of ducks I see every day is now missing both parents. I never saw them with a dad duck in the first place, but today their mom duck was also missing. I watched them for a while, waiting for their mom to show up, which is when I found the crow. Mom still wasn't there when I went back to release the crow.

What are the odds that 8, palm-sized fluffy ducklings survive without any parents? I never have seen duck parents interact with their babies to feed them, but I've never seen ducklings dive for their own food either.

What if my little crows family pluck them out of the water like eagles catching fish, and feed them to him?

Nature is fuckin sad.
>>
Crows belong to the Night's Watch.
>>
>>2747528
>>2747545
Please elaborate. I am literally only here to be berated if I did the wrong thing, or assured if I did the right thing so I can sleep at night.
>>
>>2747585
You didn't need to bring home the crow. You did the wrong thing by doing that.
>>
>>2747585
The parents were clearly watching over it and protecting it. There was no reason to take it.
>>
>>2747611
>>2747630
Well many bird species aren't meant to leave the nest until they are ready to fly and I had no idea crows were different.

If the area was less shitty I'd have worried less, whether I knew or not. I'm just concerned it's going to get eaten by a coyote, hit by a car, get spooked into the canal to drown, or worst of all, get captured and killed by some psychopath just for fun because its easy to catch.

Y'know?
>>
>>2747630
Also the parents did exactly jack shit to prevent me from taking it. All they did was caw at me. Not even a single swoop at my head, even as I held him in my hands. I also watched as they did nothing to prevent him from wandering on to the road 40 feet away from the tree.

Honestly, I don't have much faith in crow parents after my experience today. I expect the only thing they might be able to do for their baby as well as a human could is feed it...

I hope you guys are right that the best thing was to leave him there.
>>
>>2747519
Awful lot of found birb threads today
>>
>>2747654
Well, that's how it was meant to be. Crows have survived without human intervention from millenia. Even if it had shitty parents. If your hometown was a dangerous place for Crows to live there would be no crows. Admit it, you wanted to steal their baby so you can have a special snowflake pet.
>>
You are truly a menace to urban nature, anon. Did you see that murder of crows? Obviously they're reproducing or they wouldn't exist. Obviously that means that a perfectly acceptable amount of juveniles successfully make it and if anything you probably prolonged the period it's going to have to spend fucking around on the ground. Stop fiddling with everything you see.
>>
>>2747654
www.skywatchbirdrescue.org/found-a-baby-bird/
Basically "fledgling" is a stage in many song birds lives where they live on the ground and hop around to develop fight muscles.
Most flying birds accuracy do leave the before they can fly.
>>
>>2747762
leave the nest
>>
>>2747519
>Anyway I chased him around some and caught him and took him home. His whole big crow family screamed at me from their tree while I was doing this and then his parents followed me all the way home.
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>2747519
lol, you broke the NAP and the crows will remember you for the rest of their life
>>
OP you seriously need to stop being so autistic and let the local wildlife be, you only do more harm than good
>>
>>2747519
>She said that right before crows achieve adulthood, they have a "soft penning" period where they try their first flight out of the nest, invariably fail, and then spend a few days flopping around on the ground, until the last of the blood on their feathers dries up and they are light enough to fly. It's totally normal.
That's normal for a lot of birds. They stay watching and jeering at it till it sorts its shit out and flies.

Stop fucking meddling.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.