[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: caucasian shepherd.jpg (128 KB, 720x960)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
Let me get you guys' perspective on this.

I'm probably going to be moving about a year or so from now, and when I do I want to get a dog for security. I have a couple questions though.

>What breed should I get?
I was thinking a Caucasian Shepherd, but I've read that they're not good "first time" dogs. I've been around dogs all of my life, helped train them and care for them, and have a pretty decent understanding of their psychology and body language, but I've never actually owned one in my name. I don't want to end up getting a dog that I'm not ready to control/handle.

>How do I go about training it to be a guard dog?
From what I've seen, whether or not your dog will be an actual guard dog or just a scary burglar alarm is up to chance. I want to make sure that the dog will actually provide security and defend my home instead of just barking at the intruder and following them around the house.

Also, wherever I move will probably be an apartment. I'll still walk and play with the dog a few times a day, but I'm sure that's still a factor.
>>
>>2779033
>I was thinking a Caucasian Shepherd
>wherever I move will probably be an apartment
If you can't even work out why this is a bad idea then there's not much hope for you.
>>
>>2779036
Alright fair enough. What should I get then?
>>
>>2779040
get a gun
>>
>>2779055
Alright now what
>>
>>2779033
>I'll still walk and play with the dog a few times a day
a sickly pug at best. anything healthier/bigger than that will need 2-4hrs of intense exercise a day at a big, open space.
>>
>>2779060
>>2779055
>>2779040
even the shittiest euroshitpiles like the UK will allow you to have a 2b shotty. get that. it will be cheaper and more reliable than a dog.
>>
>>2779064
I don't get it. Do you want me to attach my gun to the dog?

>>2779062
Damn, are you serious? How the hell is anyone besides NEETs or the terminally ill supposed to own a dog?
>>
>>2779065
>Damn, are you serious?
yes
>How the hell is anyone besides NEETs or the terminally ill supposed to own a dog?
they are not. and the pounds being full of dogs that were too much for their owners to handle are testament to that. you picked a dog breed that can easily weigh more than 50kg, shits like a human, gets fixated on the owner, who's bark can shatter glass and that dislikes strangers to the point of attack and you want to put it in an apartment. you CAN keep any dog in a reasonably sized apartment if you spend the 2-4hrs a day on training outside. the dog isn't supposed to play/run in any size house anyway. but that's the big if.

>>2779065
>I don't get it. Do you want me to attach my gun to the dog?
fuck off.
>>
>>2779066
Alright, I'll make a concession and give 2-4 hours a day to the dog. I can probably get my studying done outside anyway.

>You picked a dog breed that
Already said I'd go with something else. Still waiting for a suggestion.
>>
>>2779073
listen. I do not think you'll be happy with ANY dog. you are getting one for the wrong reason and not during a stable time in your life. 2-4hrs a day is a major commitment. now factor in training, vet costs, food costs, possibly taxes etc. etc. - a gun and alarm system are going to be the FAAAAAR cheaper and better solution. heck, a better deadbolt and a chaep Cold Steel gladius machete will suffice for the most part. only get a dog if you want to have a dog for having a dog's sake and like the lifestyle that having a dog requires.
>>
>>2779079
I'll follow your advice if you can give me a solution to providing home security when I'm not at home. Guns and alarms are useless for this. Booby-trapping my house will probably be out of the question too since I won't be allowed to modify the apartment
>>
>>2779086
what's so valuable in your place? home alarm systems that call the cops or a security company can be bought for less than what a dog would cost you also. in my mind, a break in while you are not at home is the best thing that can happen:
a. you are never in danger
b. you don't have to use the gun which could have severe implications depending on where you are
c. insurance can even result in a net gain

to me, not being at home is the best home security. other than that, my guns are the most valuable thing in my house.
>>
>>2779033
>Caucasian Shepherd
https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/caucasian-shepherd-dog#/slide/1

"though they are fairly low-energy dogs, the sheer size of Caucasian Shepherd Dogs makes them poorly suited for apartment living and homes with small children"

Unless you plan on living somewhere really rough where armed burglaries are common place I don't see the point. Seems like a lot of effort to go through, and for most large dogs it doesn't sound like you have the room or time. Just get a decent alarm system and lock on your door.
>>
>>2779092
I like the idea of a security company, but I'm not seeing anything for them being called by alarm systems. Maybe I'd just have to ask about it? My state is stand-your-ground law for now, so I don't have to worry so much about the legal implications of defending my home as long as the force is ruled as justified. Hell, I might not even need a gun depending on how many robbers there are.
>>
these threads are always so incredibly stupid that i might be starting to believe it's always the same guy
>>
>>2779093
I will never regret anything more in my life than suggesting Caucasian Shepherd in the OP. No matter how many times I say I'm not getting one, the entire discussion will be centered around it
>>
>>2779103
>>2779099
then just get a fricking aero precision AR15 for 600bx and be done with it. jesus.

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/oem-mid-length-16-rifle-w-25-gift-card-prod81838.aspx
>>
>>2779103
If it makes you feel better your question would still be retarded if you hadn't mentioned any breed.
>>
>>2779103
Well to be fair you did ask and you got your answer. Also generally a no to any similar large dog. Or just a dog in general.

You just don't seem to have a general clue and are deciding this off the top of your head, which is the worst way of going about getting in to anything.
>>
>>2779112
That's a relief

>>2779109
What part of "when I'm not home" do you not understand?

http://www.colorincolorado.org/article/reading-101-english-language-learners
>>
>>2779118

unless you are stashing massive amounts of drugs or the like in your house there is no need for a security system. regardless, a dog would not help here still. the primary security system in this case is not being at home. any damages will be taken care of the insurance which a responsible person ought to have (I got a gaming PC and laptop rekt by current spikes in 2009 and boy was I glad I had insurance).
>>
>>2779118
>Underage who hasn't moved out still doesn't understand that there won't be guerilla armies camping outside his shitty apartment in Wisconsin waiting for him to go out so they can break in and steal his valuable visual novels and boxer shorts, invigorated by the lack of literally their only weakness, the existence of a dog
>>
>>2779120
>why not just let robbers break into your house and take all your shit?

>>2779125
>muh armchair psychology
Typing this in my apartment that doesn't allow dogs. I'm lucky enough to have a roommate that works the opposite shifts of me though, so the home security system can wait until I move
>>
>>2779033
What're you so scared of OP? Where're you moving where needing anything other than a locked door is a necessity? The Caribbean? A favela? Zimbabwe?
>>
>>2779033
You should get a pet turkey. People think they attack
>>
>>2779033
I can't begin to even recommend dogs to you if you don't have a clue what your living situation will be. I suggest getting settled in your home first then come back to the dog idea. Also dogs are NOT good for protection of property from people. Common misconception. They are a good deterrent, and as a deterrent you don't even need a large dog. you need a loud one. If you want something to protect you from bad people, get a gun. And honestly a real security system is much, much better as a deterrent.
>>
>>2779161
The irony is that even if he were moving to any of those places a dog would be the last fucking thing that would save him.
>>
>>2779066

>fuck off

Absolutely buttblasted
>>
File: 1533174719296.webm (1.33 MB, 720x402)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB WEBM
If you want an ACTUAL security, trained, guard dog, you have to pay for it.
>>
>>2779260
what a sick dog, fuckin awesome
>>
>>2779272
But that's a professionally trained dog. You will have a hard time getting that without professional training.
>>
>>2779033
>living in a perpetual state of paranoia
why would someone break into your apartment? Even If they did and were real nasty pieces of work they could kill/steal your dog.
>>
>>2779950
yep, if they had a gun they would even kill a lion
>>
>>2779950
>>2779951
this is kind of my primary reason against "guard dogs" in the current year. not only are they not reliable and cheap, it seems to me to be very cuntish to send an animal to possibly get hurt just so you can save... what exactly?
>>
>1
never own a breed known for being 'protective' if you have no experience with them
> 2
any dog that is black, medium sized and black will 'protect' you in the sense that if someone breaks in it'll bark its head off or if you walk it at night no one will bother you
>3
if your dog bites anyone and it gets reported then your dog WILL be put down

now go buy a pitbull jamal
>>
File: john-wick-dog.jpg (62 KB, 767x431)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>2779954
>if your dog bites anyone and it gets reported then your dog WILL be put down

>city tries to put down your dog

[John Wick intensifies]
>>
>>2779033
>Caucasian Shepherd
Don't fall for Youtube memes.
Most Caucasians bred in the west are utterly incapable of doing any real work, they fail standard bear tests that better known breeds like Rottweilers pass with flying colors. Buying an exotic breed like CS is inviting yourself to getting scammed hard by shit breeders looking for quick money. You should probably just get a Rottweiler or similar breed from a reputable breeder than risk it with exotics unless (which i doubt) you know what you're doing and have connections to know you get the real deal.
>>
File: Sarplaninac-6-670x610.jpg (118 KB, 670x610)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>2779958
you can also just import one from these dirt poor eastern/southern european countries where they still actually do pastoral guard dog work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-tmDp-sGDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKmCRNa5QJI
https://www.youtube.com/user/3sakal/videos?disable_polymer=1
>>
>>2779957
yikes
>>
File: Sarplaninac.jpg (220 KB, 1120x757)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>2780010
well if my dog but an intruder and then the cops/politicians/DA/judges wanted to put it down you better believe I'd go John Wick.
>>
File: IMG_20180719_105414.jpg (2.35 MB, 3120x4160)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
not sure if it's the best for you as a first time owner..
these big breeds need space, training etc... and to be sure the dog will get the job done, you'll have to hire a professional breeder.. it is expensive
i have a trained gsd, awesome dog, friendly, lovable etc.. but hes very territorial and aggressive towards strangers. he's the perfect brees imo. pic related
>>
>>2779965
true, but even then you should know the guy (at least through some intermediatery) so you dont get scammed and sold some random mutt pup picked from streets of romania
>>
>>2780075
assuming we are talking about an american buyer here, it shouldn't be too expensive to travel there and buy 2 unrelated dogs (for further breeding) that you can pick by hand. this shouldn't really turn out to be more expensive than a middle class vacation in total....
>>
>>2779066
>d-dogs need 4 hours of training a day EVERY day
huh... your little owners guide teach you that?
dogs need food and water, the rest can slide
>>
>>2780196
he may have exaggerated on 'everyday' but it's true, every animal has to exercise just as we humans. If they aren't provided with exercise they will eventually develop some problems,
>>
>>2780196
t. mexican
>>
File: IMG-20180810-WA0069.jpg (184 KB, 960x1280)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
I have a white german shepherd, and I think she naturally behaves as a guard dog. Has killed a few creatures that violated the NAP by getting in my property. Also supposedly bit a neighbor who tried to pet her through my gate (I'm not sure about this story, heard from the cleaning lady someone commented with her that my dog had bitten them, idk what happened). It's funny though, as she doesn't even play bite, and has never bitten me, even playfully.
Pic related, her (and before anyone asks, the brown on ears and paws is because she loves rolling around on the dirt. When clean, she's 100% white)
>>
>>2780238
Mine just lays down all day.
>>
>>2780238
>he may have exaggerated on 'everyday'

no. I can't think of a breed of non dysgenic dog that does not ABSOLUTELY need at least 1hr of intense, efficient training a day to prevent behavioural problems. look at this mutt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWW4gG647BE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu8F5N-LSQc

do you think she can be fine with just a 30min walk every now and again? nope. sure, she'll survive but you'll see her develop all the problems that make people put their dogs in the pound for.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.