[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Pipa-Pipa.jpg (515 KB, 968x732)
515 KB
515 KB JPG
Reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>caudata.org for newts, salamanders and lots more amphibians
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal

>Jump Start (formerly Hydrofarm) thermostat is a good basic and inexpensive thermostat for regulating ceramic heat emitters and under tank heaters (Amazon sells it)
>if you want something more advanced for temperature control, look at Herpstat products

Old thread: >>2840480
>>
i just adopted a leopard gecko and Whats another good way to increase the heat inside the tank other than a heatmat? It's low 70's out of the heatmat area with a digital thermometer and best way to start handling?
>>
>>2852791
The heatmat area is your basking spot. That's what you want to be 90-95 F. Everywhere else being 70 is great.
>>
>>2851116
I don't know if it's the carpet doing anything,He's been sleeping more and he's bloated it looks like,His stool was extremely small compared to the last times and had more of a urate in it then before,I'll try to call a vet but with my schedule it may be hard since i can't call it off
>>
>>2852845
Ok,thank you
>>
I can't wait until he's going to make the price down to $10 because nobody is going to pay fifty bucks for a frog that's offered at nearly every petco and PetSmart for just a fraction of that price.
>>
>>2852193
Does anyone ITT have a pet suriname toad? They seem so exotic to me.
>>
>>2852791

You can bump day time temperatures with an ordinary incandescent light on the screen top. 40w-60w is plenty. Set it on a timer to turn on in the morning and off in early evening (12 hour duration).
>>
>>2853050
What? Bombina orientalis aka fire-bellied toads are sold at every store. The one in your pic is an European species.
>>
>>2852791
>best way to start handling?

When leo is awake and out and about, slowly place hand in tank a distance away. Leave it still and just sit there for 10 minutes. Do this two or three times per week (not every day). Leos are curious geckos and they will eventually come over to see what the deal is with this hand. They'll get comfy with that, then they will often start climbing on you. When he starts climbing, you can slowly raise your hand a couple inches off the floor then hold still. Lower hand back down. Once gecko is comfy with that, you can bring him out of the tank for 15 minutes, again only 2-3 times per week, no problem. Sometimes they get excited about the opportunity to explore outside their tanks and will come up to the front and paw at the glass in request to come out.
>>
>>2853295
>10 minutes
>>
>>2853297

Yes. Especially in early days when leo is still not sure whether or not you're a predator. I have had quicker progress using shorter exposure times with hatchlings rather than longer, like 20-30 minutes. It takes them longer to come around to being comfortable with you if you linger too long initially.
>>
File: smile.png (791 KB, 717x1183)
791 KB
791 KB PNG
>>2852193
Do lizards recognize faces?
>>
>>2853299

Probably not. They're more inclined to recognize by smell, jacobson's organ, and your movement patterns.
>>
>>2853303
Thanks
>>
>>2853291
Didn't even notice, in the Instagram pictures the frogs were green with orange bellies. They don't look anything like the pictures of bombina variegata where it is wider and grey
>>
>>2853069
Had a chance to buy a couple for cheap but didn't have a tank set up for it at the time :(

It's gonna be a long time until I see them for that cheap again.
>>
>>2852193
Does anyone have the webm of the gator/croc bounding around like a rabbit?
>>
File: scale puppy.webm (1.98 MB, 826x426)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB WEBM
>>2853370
?
>>
>>2853372
Yes thats it
>>
First for ATBs
>>
What would it take to run a successful reptile shop? I’m talking selling supplies like food, lights, heat emitters, tanks and cages, and off some reptiles.
>>
Post herps found outside
>>
>>2853476
>>
File: Ambystoma annulatum.jpg (392 KB, 1024x637)
392 KB
392 KB JPG
>>2853474
Go to your local fish and reptile stores and try and see any shitty qualities and take note and do the opposite of them. Also you'd need to learn which products from each company is good so you dont waste money importing $150 basking lights from germany and then selling them at a 200% mark up when you can just sell zoomed lights that are at more or less the same quality.

Look for properties where there aren't any pet stores nearby so there is little competition.

And ball pythons, breed random ones together and get random mutations, slap some random words on them and sell them online, while also breeding (super important, youre going to get shitty reviews if some buys a wildcaught $300 Oophaga lehmanni and having it die from a random parasite) and selling some less common herps.

I'd suggest finding some cool herps that you like and you'd think others would like as well and breeding them for a few years, while at the same breeding ball pythons for the normie population.

Good luck anon.
>>
>>2853372
It's a shame abbos ate all the Australian and Indonesian land crocodiles.
>>
>>2853474
I work retail in a managerial role. I think it'd be depressing to bring living creatures into the bullshit of retail. I don't know if I could feel good selling animals to slowly be tortured by idiots to pay my car bill.
>>
>>2853482
Man, ball pythons really would be necessary to have a store normies could walk into, and probably leopard geckos as well. I’ve got no issue with them, but also no interest

The herps I’m interested in are
>newts
>dart frogs
>chameleons
>skinks
>ATBs and Colombian red tails

I guess I could do what you say and also start small by breeding a small number of pets at home and selling online - and later branching out/investing earnings into the BP morph madness. There’s some really beautiful ball pythons but they’re just so inactive.
>>
>>2853487
I already plan to make and/or print out detailed care sheets for the animals, as well as having a policy that any animal they buy I’ll buy back for half price within a year or something. I’d definitely refuse service to 8 year olds wanting their first herp to be a Mellers Chameleon.

I guess none of that helps make a lot of money, but I’d really want to do it correctly if it’s possible to do while also staying afloat.
>>
>>2853491
Newts and dart frogs are piss easy to keep and breed once you get a hang of it and there's autists willing to pay a hundred bucks for a crested newt or big dart frog. Do you have any reptile shows near you? That's a good place to get started and get yourself known just by a couple people. Some other herps i know people will definitely want to buy are african bullfrogs, budgetts frogs, pacman frogs, axolotls, sirens, and mudpuppies. Go on kingsnake.com and just click around randomly and see how much people offer for the animals. You could also make a couple bucks from importing guppies and/or bettas from Asia and breeding them, people will pay surprisingly a lot of them even if they're cheap. Also there's people who will pay you a fuckton for aquarium plants, especially for slow growing stuff like anubias, which you can get for super cheap from a wholesaler. Some anon in /aq/ once said he used a friend's company to order fish from a wholesaler and he got tiger barbs that normally cost ~$5 each at pet stores for only 20 cents.
>>
>>2853498
>people will pay surprisingly a lot of them even if they're cheap
Mean to write "even if they're cheap to you"
You can do a 4000% markup on a guppy that cost three dollars and as long as it's sexy and unique from what other people are offering they'd buy it. People also would pay a lot for pure endler strains, as most endlers are tainted with guppy genes.

Pic related costs 107 dollars for two
>>
>>2853050
Don’t forget to follow their newsletter,they do $15 off certain frogs every Monday with sales on other items,they had a 30% off super and wax worms yesterday for a flash sale
>>
>>2853492
When I worked at petco we had a small paper pamphlet that only had 2 sentances per each topic and nothing for tank size
>>
Do you let any of your hero’s outside?
>>
>>2853530
I bring my iguana outside in my backyard on my shoulder every once in awhile
I had an outside pen for him at one point but it got washed away in a flood and would be cramped for him at this point anyway though
Aways keep a net within arms reach though since an airplane or just a big bird flying overhead makes him freak out and look for the nearest tree to shoot up
>>
>>2853483
Test
>>
>>2853473
He looks so mean
>>
I want to set up my first bioactive terrarium, but its October in Canada and Winter is starting
am I fucked in terms of buying plants?
>>
File: lee me alon.jpg (1.69 MB, 1469x2157)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
>>2853530
I take my hogger out and he hoods up immediately.
>>
Hey I've started a stream for my leopard gecko named Lizzy Maguire. I got told you'll may like it.

https://www.twitch.tv/lizardmaguire is the link, I hope you enjoy. It's starting to get her active time so she may be crawling around soon!
>>
>>2853530
No. I have thought about maybe making a screen enclosure for my geckos that i could put them in to bring outside for a bit. Under no circumstances will i bring any gecko outside just holding them. The cresteds and garg especially would death leap off me in an arbitrary direction and i'd never see them again probably.
>>
>>2853606
No, there is usually a specialty greenhouse type outfit in any major city. They will sell the kind of plants you need year round.
>>
>>2853704
Being outside is scary
>>
3 or 4 month old gecko that’s never been held because of previous shitty owners
What’s the best way to get him/her used to touch? I’ve been trying to hold him/her every day or every other day and letting it leap on my hands
>>
File: 20181027_160139[1].jpg (2.38 MB, 2576x1932)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB JPG
I planted my chameleon's cage today. My ficus tree showed up damaged but I'm gonna try to let it do it's thing. I'm probably gonna fill it in a bit more with other plants in the future.

>>2853487
There's an exotics shop that deals in herps and tropical plants that opened up near me a few months ago and they screen people before they can take an animal home.
>>
>>2854295
>and they screen people before they can take an animal home.
How? Is there like a quiz?
>>
>>2854338
I think they have you fill out a form or something. I know they go out of their way to sell to people who actually have knowledge/experience. The guys running the shop have like 20 years experience working with reptiles so they definitely care.
>>
>>2854211

Don't do every day. ~3 times per week is plenty. Just put your hand in tank when gecko is already awake and keep it still for a few minutes. Gecko will come over and investigate. Also, occasional hand feeding works really well for getting cresties comfortable with your presence. Dip you finger in some CGD and let gecko lick it off.
>>
>>2854295

Nice job on that tank! Looks awesome.
>>
Do any of you fine fellows have any experience with blood pythons? I've kept many colubrids (bullsnakes, cornsnakes, kingsnakes, hoggies) with not too many issues, but I hear that bloods are for "advanced" keepers only. I can't figure out why, though, their care requirements don't seem all that different apart from temps and humidity. I don't care about them being bitey bitches as juveniles either, I've been chomped on by enough snakems to stop caring. Thoughts?
>>
>>2854833
I'd say that warning about 'advanced' is more along the lines of hey maybe don't get a blood as your first snake, type thing. They aren't any exceptional amount of trouble. Main thing is just to acclimatize them to regular human interaction early (as you do with any snake) and be careful about how much you're feeding as bloods can be prone to obesity in captive conditions.
>>
>>2854875
Thanks fren. Do you have any experience with Sumatran or Borneo short tailed pythons? Any recommendations for one over the others (Blood, Sumatran, Borneo)?
>>
>>2854900
I'm not the other anon, but there is a guy here who has a real nice Sumatran. He knows a lot. I've got a little baby blood and I was in almost the exact same situation as you. I had kept a corn snake for many years and was looking at bloods. I think it's a fair assessment to put them firmly in the intermediate category. But if you've done you're research and know how conditions you need and how you're going to maintain them, you should be OK. Though heads up, young bloods seems to be less forgiving of husbandry lapses than older ones. And they're body language is very different from colubrids.
>>
File: IMG_1221.jpg (3.2 MB, 2912x3883)
3.2 MB
3.2 MB JPG
>>2854964
I have been summoned. I'm also pleased to see bloods getting more love as of late.
>>2854900
Sumatrans if you want something on the smaller side in terms of size, Malaysians if you want something more substantial, Borneos are right down the middle in terms of size. Personality wise they're pretty similar, all enjoy digging and soaking, all are generally pretty reclusive and lazy unless looking for food. I've found Malaysians to be a tad more feisty as babies but will tame out just as quick as the others, all three are fairly quick to let you know when they've had enough interaction though so just be mindful. Personally speaking I prefer the sumatrans because I like the darker coloration paired with the striking eyes, but all three have their charms. In the end it really comes down to you as an individual. As with all reptiles work with the snake as much as they will allow you to while they're young both so that they acclimate to you and you know the signs of when they've had their fill of interaction. You say you've been chomped by a good number of snakes but I really wouldn't advise getting a nip from anything past a yearling blood- I mean I don't advise taking bites from any animal, but still, it's not what I'd call a fun time. There's quite a bit of punch behind the blows they dish out thanks to that thicc body.
>>
File: Hyla_versicolor.jpg (30 KB, 600x495)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
Started a thread on this but I'll say it here too
Caught one of these boys in the wild a bit ago. Been keeping it in a 5 gal tank with a dish of water and a small plant to climb on. Any advice?
>>
>>2855270
Give it some sticks and more plants to climb around. Put some dirt and pillbugs in to clean his poops, and try to feed him in a separate enclosure so the crickets dont bite him while hes sleeping
>>
>>2855277
ive been keeping it in the coconut fibre dirt you buy at petco
whatre pillipugs and where can i buy them, will worms work just as well?
also ive heard wild grays carry parasites. is this true?
>>
File: 1514136354800.jpg (132 KB, 1280x1011)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>2855023
Thanks for the info, Sumatran senpai. And yeah I don't plan on getting chewed on but I don't mind taking the nips until s/he calms the fuck down.
Last question: any experience, by chance, with Cold Blooded Earth (short tailed breeders) out of South Carolina? https://www.coldbloodedearth.com/
>>
>>2855358
Not Sumatran senpai but just taking a peek at the site, they've got some really pretty snakes. Though those will likely be pricey. Might be worth considering getting a normal one to see if it's really something you want to do before making a big investment.
>>
>>2855452
Yeah I was looking at getting a normie. $200 doesn't seem ridiculous for an almost unusual breed.
>>
>>2855358
>any experience, by chance, with Cold Blooded Earth (short tailed breeders)

I'm not really familiar with them being a Maryland resident and all, I've mostly stuck to local shows with the occasional Pennsylvania one. Best to check reviews from other sites. After a quick visit of the site I suppose their prices are relatively fair as far as borneos and Malaysians go, but the sumatrans seem a bit high even for the nice darker specimens, especially when you consider that it can be a bit of a gamble whether or not they'll get darker or start to develop more earthy tones like mine did. My girl only set me back maybe $150 and she was almost exactly as dark as their $500 female sumtran when I got her. Then again I've always had weird luck with getting rarer snakes for absolute steals if my woma is anything to go by, so my frame of reference might be a bit skewed.
>>
>>2855460
>. $200 doesn't seem ridiculous for an almost unusual breed.
That's not terrible, but I got mine for 90 at a show. Lots of factors to consider of course. But if ~100 price difference doesn't bother you, then no big deal.
>>
>>2855517
>my woma
Off topic but what do you keep him on? Substrate wise
>>
>>2855526
Cocofiber with a bit of moss mixed in. It's more or less what I do across the board with my snakes with the addition of forest blend for the ones I plan on going for a bioactive tank with.
>>
File: SAM_3163.jpg (630 KB, 1920x1080)
630 KB
630 KB JPG
>>2852193
Has anyone experienced losing a reptile to unknown illness but purchased a captive bred specimen? I've had her 3 years 4 months and now she is not eating, convulsing and can't walk. She was fed a whole prey diet of chicks and mice. I was diligent in keeping her heat, basking spots and humidity just right but she is going to die no matter what. She is my prized pet/passion and something went wrong that I just can't figure out. I was going to take her to the exotic pet vet but I can only afford the $150 fee and not x-rays, medicine or surgery. I'm between checks at the moment. She is favorite species and family of monitors and now she is dying. The picture is of her becoming weaker but at that point, she could still walk.
>>
>>2855568
Perhaps best to euthanize and get a necropsy at this point then. Go directly to your nearest diagnostic lab, don't send through a vet. I had my necropsies done at $60 each, and the location I went to was able to send the bodies to the state's main lab. At the vet's I think I was quoted $100+ to do the same thing.
>>
>>2855568
I read that ovary issues are one of the most common causes of death for captive monitors because they get eggbound when unmated or they tend to be so extremely particular about where they want to lay the eggs that nothing in the tank satisfies them and they also hold them in until it's too late.
>>
File: maxresdefault (28).jpg (84 KB, 1280x720)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Hey guys I was the nigga talking about getting a mountain tortoise. I sorta decided to get a sulcata time since I was planning on getting one any way. Problem is it will probably take around 2 weeks to set up a new separate box for him. Will these little niggas be fine being roommates for 2 weeks without them sperging. They are 1> year and both captive breed. I've tried reading up on it but everything talks about the long term. I have already adjust the cage so the mountain tortoise can sit in its shade and the sulcata can get all the sun it wants.
>>
>>2855270
is it true that these guys carry parasites in the wild? should I be concerned?
>>
>>2855797
Yes you should be. Let it go.
>>
>>2855792
Just buy a 3 dollar tub for the time being
>>
>>2855825
I guess. (Didnt even think of that.) I'll go to the depot to get that set up. But I'll keep my question standing. At what age do torts start to get aggressive to others.
>>
>>2855285
Pillbugs are little crustaceans that you find under wood, when they're scared they curl up into a ball. They are decomposers and will eat rotting plants and poop. You can buy some tropical species but a temperate species will do just fine.

Yes the frog will likely have a parasite but if it was something dangerous it would've died by now. Almost every wild animal has some small insignificant worm inside it or something
>>
File: 0319_pvc-01.jpg (992 KB, 2000x1333)
992 KB
992 KB JPG
>>2853474
Bringing all of the shit people usually have to go online for into the convenience of in-store pickup would be great. Petsmart almost exclusively stocks exoterra, zoomed, and all living things products. We all know those aren't the best or cheapest on the market.
Breaking into the enclosure market with an affordable front opening tank would also do a lot to distinguish your business from others. The dearth of options in this department is insane. Something as simple as the plastic box in pic related costs $300 dollars. A similar sized storage bin made from the same material would be $40 at Home Depot. The reptile housing bubble is ready to be burst, but all competitors have either fallen off the market due to lack of investment or loss of interest by their creators. I've seen smaller hobbyists put out conversion kits or self-assembly alluminum-plexyglass enclosures that undercut the existing options by as much as 50%, and they sell out within the first day every time, but the guys making them only produce like 20 a year because they're making them out of their garage or some shit. Nobody has gone all in with a serious competitor to the glassdoor and pvc vivs, which are too tiny and expensive for anything larger than a dart frog. For some reason the insect keepers have figured this out. They have affordable plastic enclosures at decent sizes. They pay as little as $15 for a 12x12x18 with hinged doors and ventilation. Why can't we have that?
Having a larger variety of feeders than the petsmart corn-fed crickets would also keep reptile owners coming into your shop every week, where they may be inclined to look around and purchase something. Insects are piss easy and dirt cheap to reproduce, and they do it so well that we couldn't stop them from doing it if we tried. Reptile owners love to treat their animals to new and interesting foods, whether that be caterpillars or roaches. Having a reptile cafeteria would do you some good.
>>
>>2855270
I would just let it go. Parasites from its feces will contaminate the enclosure with their eggs and possibly spread to other animals in your collection in the future. They can also carry a lot of non-parasite diseases which can be spread through contact, especially in the case of amphibians. Remember that captive bred animals are like little bubbleboys and extremely susceptible to diseases introduced to them from the wild. I once made the mistake of adding a wild GTF in with a captive bred one and watched it deteriorate like a native american introduced to the spanish.
>>
File: SAM_3008.jpg (581 KB, 1920x1080)
581 KB
581 KB JPG
>>2855720
She's laid two clutches this year and I found a third one from an unknown period of time. She is almost dead now, she has suffered for three days now and know I know death comes slowly sometimes.
>>
File: SAM_3267.jpg (646 KB, 1920x1080)
646 KB
646 KB JPG
>>2856166
Taken two days ago, I offered her a chick and she was not interested. She was becoming much weaker and does not have that edge Argus monitor's have when presented with food. She used to be a very strong, fast moving and intelligent lizard and now she lays in place convulsing and shaking waiting for death. After being in FB groups and seeing how many female monitors die I don't think I will keep anything but males going forward. The plan was to add a male once I got working again and now it's all shot. She was problematic in the beginning so maybe she wasn't going to live long anyway. Life is shit but I'm not willing to kill myself.
>>
>>2856175
Why do the females die?
>>
>>2856047
Genuinely great ideas, thank you anon
>>
Hello /herp/ any idea on how to make your turtle (RES) eat healthy vegetables? She never lived in a healthy environment and I am trying to switch her to a healthy diet. But she she wont eat veggies. Most online advice i found is to place a piece of lettuce in the water and let them starve until they start eating it. But i am scared of starving my turtle to death. Any hint or advice?
>>
>>2856208
Don't worry, turtles are resilient as fuck. Even a month without eating won't mess up your turtle, but obviously that's not recommended.
>>
>>2856203
Complications from eggs getting stuck (dystocia) is the most common reason. My female is four years old and has laid many clutches of eggs, 2 this year, I even found a clutch of 10 I had no clue she laid. She went from active to lethargic to just about to die in a few days. I considered all the common causes of death but they were long-term husbandry issues and what has happened now without warning or little signs such as sunken eyes, heavy breathing or bent limbs.
>>
>>2856211
she doesn't seem to like vegetables and that concerns me the most. I don't know if she will ever touch the lettuce i drop in her tank.
I tried a bait and switch earlier, placed a shrimp on top of the lettuce and when she took a bite of the lettuce, she would spit it out and try to go for the shrimp.
I tried to feed her carrots as well but she took a few bites and ignored it like the plague.
>>
>>2856047

You are correct about the PVC tank market. The problem is none of the startups have been able to crack the blue chip market (as blue chip as a reptile equipment supply company can be anyway) due to high overhead as they are all small outfits making these tanks with inefficient industrial processes. Most don't even carry overstock and have long waiting turnover from order placement to order fulfillment. Essentially they're running a slim stock of tanks and only making more in reaction to orders coming in.

Any of the big suppliers like your Exo Terra, Zoo Med etc. could destroy the small PVC tank market by using their mass production facilities to bring the cost per unit way down. They don't. I don't know why.
>>
>>2856175

Have you taken her to a vet, anon?
>>
>>2856223
How big is she? Most turtles prefer to be carnivorous as juveniles and become omnivorous as they become older. Don't know if this is necessarily true but if she's an adult, she might like meat more because she's a female and needs the extra energy to make eggs.
>>
>>2856237
I'd say she is about 30cm (6 inches). I think she should be about 6 years old now but i never seen her lay egg
>>
>>2856231

I read your post above, I know it's cost prohibitive but perhaps they can offer advice about whether to euthanize or not.
>>
>>2856246
Female red ear sliders can get a little under a foot long so she's just still growing. If you want starve her for a little bit (like one week) and offer her some lettuce or broccoli
>>
>>2856262
Willingly starving a pet isn't something that sits right in me. but at the same time, feeding her junk food isn't either
>>
>>2856175
Up her calcium intake maybe? Had a friend who's Crestie went into egg overdrive and got pretty bad until he began more or less forcing her to ingest a home made calcium paste. I know we're dealing with a offer lizard but it's worth a shot.
>>
I'm thinking about getting an asian vine, and I just need the proper set up. How big of a tank do you guys reccomend?
>>
>>2856312
She was fed whole prey items for four years so she got complete nutrition. She was problematic as a hatchling (captive bred and hatched) she was a finicky eater and did not eat with the same aggression as normal and healthy specimens do. She got better over time but I always felt she wasn't as normal as the other panoptes I've seen. She had lots of energy and curiosity but this all happened around 2 months after laying her last clutch.
>>
>>2856258
She died today and I buried her. All I can say is I learned a lot in the last 4 years and I am so glad I kept an on-going journal to reference when I try again. Based on what I see in a group of 20k monitor lizard keepers females die more frequently and usually due to their ovaries being infected or dystocia. Anyone getting a monitor for the first time try to get a male even if it is a yearling or older.
>>
>>2856436

Ah, that's a bummer. Sorry to hear that anon. Take care.
>>
>>2856438
Feels weird now. Only second time losing an animal and the first was a cat and he dropped dead right in front of me and my mom (1year old had all shots), not 3 days of suffering.
>>
File: AnimuHugu.gif (1.3 MB, 500x264)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB GIF
>>2856444
>>
File: frog-leaping.jpg (170 KB, 1091x1104)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>
File: ElapheRadiata.jpg (250 KB, 1024x636)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
Radiated rat snake. Pretty underrated colubrid. Tons of attitude.
>>
>>2856771
Sounds like an enemy in fallout
>>
File: RadiatedRatSnake2.jpg (304 KB, 1024x680)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>>2856778

irradiated rat snek
>>
>>2856781
He looks so serious
>>
File: Snake RADIATED RAT.jpg (270 KB, 1600x882)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
>>2856783
>>
>>2856338
20 gallon high would be good for one, just have a ton of plants. I'd recommend making a cocohusk background and having pothos grow down from the top like vines.
>>
>>2856305
its a reptile, anon, and a turtle at that
feed it well one week and it'll be fucking fine for another
>>
Would a vet be able to help with a constipated bearded dragon? or will they just use olive oil,squash and prunes? Mine is going on for two weeks and He'll still eat
>>
>>2857105
More likely or not they'll shill you some expensive medicines that will actually do fuck all. How bad is the constipation? From my experience with pacman frogs when they're constipated you put them in some warm water and gently massage them where their ass is. Apparently you can do the same with a bearded dragon.

And make sure there's nothing it could get constipated from (i,e, too large of food items, sand, etc)
>>
>>2857144
I've given baths for a week straight week every night normally used reptile carpet but switched to paper towel a week ago,Everything he eats is fairly smaller and has no issue eating,Super worms are the only thing i could think that could cause it but hes still eating anything i give him.
>>
What are /herp/s thoughts on Dav Kaufman going to New Caledonia and recording that the humidity is/gets up to the 80s
>>
>>2857169
can't he just look up a climate diagram?
>>
>>2857170
You cant find geckos on a climate diagram
>>
>>2857169
That is in line with care parameters of New Caledonian species. Your cresteds, gargs, leachies etc all do well with a baseline humidity of 60-ish plus a spike up to maximum humidity via misting 1-2 times daily. Some care guides but the range a tad lower, like 50-60% baseline, however i find my geckos have uneven sheds when their humidity hovers in the 50's for extended periods of time.
>>
>>2857105
Does any body have any other recommendations? I've tried massages,natural digestive supplements and baths,last vet said they were good with bearded dragons and then said later they weren't
>>
>>2856924
ive had awful experience with plants in the past. maybe its the lighting. thanks though!
>>
>>2852193
found this bad boy on a trail, anyone know the species
>>
File: IMG_1901.jpg (2.84 MB, 4032x3024)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
>>2857389
>>
>>2857327
You can dab a bit of mineral oil on your beardie's lips. Not much. A few drops. Keep it away from the nostrils as mineral oil is bad news if aspirated. Harmless when ingested. The body can't digest it and outcome is essentially lubrication of the intestine. Works for human constipation too.
>>
>>2857389
Location?
>>
>>2854211
They don't like to be held, at best they learn they probably aren't in mortal danger and tolerate it in small doses
>>
>>2857436
a trail
>>
my mother has a tortoise about 18 months old.
We keep it in the garden in a small enclosure, but yesterday was raining a lot so we put it in a cage in the house and right now my mother wants to keep it there until spring.

Isn't it supposed to hybernate soon?What would be the effect of keeping it indoor with good but infrequent heating?is a lamp required with or without heat? can it even hibernate if every other day it's gonna feel very warm temperatures when we turn on the heating?Would you say letting it live outside in the garden would represent a big danger with heavy rain?it's not gonna be in a spot that literally get flooded but it might get 1-2 cm of water sometimes.
>>
File: IMG_20181024_182842.jpg (1.75 MB, 4160x2336)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
I want to buy one of these bois, but I don't want to end up with a dead one.
Does anyone know what they are? Terrapins? And what sort of enclosure will I need, what can I feed it? Will they need a friend etc.?
I've never had a pet before, and don't want to get one without knowing as much as possible.
>>
>>2857674
They grow as big as a dinner plate, live for 40+ years and the initial setup suited for an adult will cost you several hundred bucks.

Are you still interested?
>>
File: IMG_20181024_182852.jpg (1.45 MB, 4160x2336)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
>>2857674
Also, I'm willing to accept if these aren't a good first time pet, I really don't want to kill one through negligence/inexperience
>>
>>2857676
Kind of, thing is I'm living in China right now, so start up costs don't really matter, you can get anything here for cheep. These bois are going for £1.
BUT
I've got to research taking them back home, I've got a girlfriend who will look after them when I go back to visit, but I'm not planning on staying here for more that three years ATM, how hard is it to travel with animals?
>>
I want some newts and/or salamanders, but the ban because of chytrid fungus has made it basically impossible. Want a froge also but its hard enough to find anything in-state (Kentucky) aside from snakes. Went to a reptile show and there was lots of snakes but almost not froges, or lizards/newts/salamanders outside of tons of Crested Geckos (dont want and 1/3 I see at shows are already missing their tail) and bearded dragons. Didnt even see a pacman froge there even, saw a single tomato froge I kinda wish I bought now.
Even froges seem to be hard to find outside the pacman and such at pet stores I dont really want to purchase from.
I noticed one I want isn't covered but it'd be a longshot to find in Kentucky which would be the Uroplatus phantasticus (satanic leaf tailed gecko).
Any reptile&amphibian /an/ons that can recommend a breeder around KY I might be interested in for froges or something other than crested geckos or bearded dragons?
>>
>>2857674
The ones in the middle and the right are Red Eared Sliders, the ones on the left look like Reeves Turtles.
They are both aquatic turtles and generally need large aquarium/pond setups. Care wise, both are pretty much the same, the only really differences being that Red Eared Sliders grow larger and will need larger tanks/ponds (I'm talking about potentially upwards towards +120 gallons for an adult female). Reeves Turtles grow smaller so can be kept in smaller tanks like a 40-50 gallon being a minimum for one, plus they aren't as strong swimmers as sliders so you can get away with a lower water level. For both though, water filtration is important, do not skimp out on this, as you basically need filters rated up to x3 as much as the gallons of water the tank would hold as they are messy beasts. (i.e a 60 gallon would need a filter up to 180 gallons). Also they need a dry spot where they can haul themselves out of the water to dry off and bask, and over this spot you'll need a basking light and a UVB light (there are bulbs that do both). Also needs an aquarium heater if the ambient temperature of your space gets cold, water needs to be be at least above 75F degrees or so. Food wise, they eat basically anything but make sure not to overfeed them too much protein when they are growing up, as it will fuck up their shells. Basically stick with a stable commercial food while also providing vegetable matter (sliders especially eat more green as they get older). You can also supplement them with calcium sources too for shell health.
Also turtles don't need friends, if anything cohabiting has the risk of fights, so best to keep them solo unless for breeding or you have a fuck huge space where they can fuck off to respective corners if they want to.
Initial setups are pricey as fuck, though you can cut some costs by getting used things, stock tanks instead of aquariums, and DIYing certain things. Set it up right and they're fairly easy as hell to maintain
>>
>>2857674
they are likely all sick from being cramped up together and permanently stressed. hell, they don't even have any fucking water when they spend most of their lives swimming. it would be a better idea to get a healthy turtle when you're back in the US.
>>
>>2857686
The caudata.org forum might help you find a breeder near you.
>>
>>2857538

The point of asking for location is to narrow down species. That looks like a rattlesnake but I can't be more specific about what kind of rattler without knowing what part of the world you're in.
>>
>>2857686

Josh's Frogs website for froggies. joshsfrogs.com. Their selection is extensive. Good customer service and good breeding facilities as well. Highly recommend for all things froge.
>>
>>2857390
looks like an eastern diamondback rattlesnake but im colorblind so its a tad hard for me to identify snakes some times
Definitely some form of rattlesnake though
>>
>>2857711

I take it you may not be familiar with herp shipping. So if, for instance, Josh's Frogs has a critter you'd like, they can overnight ship to you via animal cargo so long as the species you want is okay to keep in your state. It's a pretty smooth process and safe for the animals as extensive precautions are taken, temperature controlled shipping, heat packs etc.
>>
>>2857612

Tortoises require heating and UVB lighting if kept indoors. Consult care sheets for your specific species to determine what kind of wattage basking bulbs you will need and recommended UVB fixtures. Brumation is not required, although your tortoise may go in to semi brumation mode for a few months anyway regardless of temperature.
>>
File: IMG_4140.jpg (1.93 MB, 4032x3024)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>2857674
My boi is a sub adult and this is what I got for him

Should be good enough till he reached full adulthood at least. But whole thing was like 300 bucks
>>
>>2857432
He won’t eat anything when it’s on his lips or at least when it’s squash/prune sauce so I’ll try dripping it on a feeder probably will work better
>>
>>2857688
Thanks dude, very helpful.

>>2857690
That's one of the reasons I want one, the only thing worse would be if they were in one of the eating tanks.

Thanks guys.
>>
File: IMG_20181031_214515.jpg (2.01 MB, 3968x2976)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
Gulp
>>
>>2858074
his name is Roasted Pine Nut Hummus
>>
>>2858079
Lol damnit
>>
>>2857538
What state/county you dense motherfucker. A lot of rattlers look pretty similar so it's hard to pin it down without knowing where you hail from so we can narrow down the list.
>>
>>2857760
Should you feed a bearded dragon during brumation I’m seeing mixed info and some say they won’t eat altogether
>>
File: 2029_reptiles.jpg (55 KB, 643x262)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>2857390
Mojave rattlesnake, perhaps?
The colors look a bit off for an Eastern diamondboi. Where you live?
>>
Is it ok to catch a gecko from a wall and make it your pet?
>>
>>2858459
what type of gecko?
>>
>>2853050
>>2853291
Come to burgerland, look for any creek behind a housing development, and you can fish them out by the handful.
>>
>>2858380
What kind of snake is that
>>
>>2858766
Kenyan sand boa. Derpy as hell but super docile and super easy to keep.
>>
Does anyone think it would be a bad idea to paint in the same room as some frogs? I know they are delicate to such things, but I would just be painting some 40k miniatures, so would that cause problems?
>>
>>2858939
Their respiratory systems aren't as fleshed out as ours. Considering you should be wearing a mask yourself while using paints, I would say it's a no go.
>>
>>2858939

Depends on the kind of paint. If we're talking water based acrylic, no problem. Oil based anything will contain solvents which give off nasty vapors as they off gas, no bueno for herps. Since you said you're painting miniature figures, you could, however, get away with it if you did your painting directly in front of a open window with a fan blowing outwards.
>>
>>2858931
>super docile
I didn't hold mine for about a month cause of school work and other busy stuff and now it hates me.
>>
>>2858939
If it's something that small it probably wouldn't matter unless you do it right next to the tank. Just have an open window and you'll be fine, unless you're spray painting it
>>
>>2859388
Sometimes snakes are like that
>>
>>2859388
How so? I've never even heard of a sand boa striking.
>>
>>2857432
Yesterday when someone was helping me they overpressured the syringe and got it all over the wall,me,my bed and the floor with it mixed in prune juice so I didn’t know if any got in but today I fed him a worm coated in mineral oil and that worked,looked like he lost a lot of weight from that.Thanks a lot I’ll be taking it to the vet to check for anything,last month he had croccidia and worms is what I was told and I medicated him so hopefully there’s no damage
>>
So after finding that my UVB wasn't quite up to snuff for warming up my BP enclosure I went for a ceramic heat emitter at the suggestion of some friends. I'm wondering how long I should expect for it to take noticable effect though. I've had it in there for a couple of hours and so far the gauge under the lamp is reading about 80' with the cool side at about 80'.
>>
>>2859670
Get a temp gun
>>
Once again leopard gecko is in shed and his eye is closed. I just don't get it.
>>
>>2859670
>ceramic heat emitter
Also watch the humidity levels, those heaters have a tendency to dry out tanks
>>
>>2858939
depends on the paints.

don't ever spray-prime in that room or use wierd technical stuff or superglue, but the acryllic pots from GW, p3 or reaper are more than safe enough. just dont paint the frogs and you should be good
>>
>>2859745
I'm keeping an eye on it. I think it's alright. I found that all my humidity was sinking to the bottom layers of the substrate, which I flipped over and since then the humidity levels have consistently stayed at about 60 for over a week without spraying again. I'm sure it'll eventually dry out again but for now it's fine.

Although since I'm using analogue gauges right now maybe I'm being lied to. (I've felt the substrate with my hand and it doesn't feel too dry.)
>>
File: lacerta_agilis_v.jpg (497 KB, 800x532)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
>>
Why are Leachies considered advanced? All I've heard is that they can bite
>>
Do female snakes develop ovary problems similar to large lizards (i.e monitors)?

I’m interested in picking up a female bull snake at some point, but I don’t have any plans of breeding at any point. Will this be ok with her? Same question goes for males, do they have to be bred?
>>
>>2860486
>Why are Leachies considered advanced

I wasn't aware they were. Leachies have the same care requirements as crested geckos and gargs. You just need a much larger tank. And yeah they can get cage aggressive but that's easy enough to tackle early when they're small and can't break the skin.

>>2860590
I am not aware of any pervasive issue with snake egg binding. Their diet is much easier so calcium deficiency is much less common in captive care of snakes than it is with lizards. Neither males or females need to breed in order to be healthy.
>>
>>2860590
>Will this be ok with her?
Probably. Some species will lay a clutch of slugs every so many years whether they're bred or not. So there's a possibility of getting egg bound, but I don't think it's a major issue
>>
>>2860590

Ooh! These are very cool looking. Subspecies of gopher snake, I see. Good choice.
>>
File: bullsnake.jpg (135 KB, 900x600)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>2860637

Neat head shape. I'm reading here they mimic rattlers as a defense mechanism. If the impression is anywhere near as hilarious as the hognose impression of a cobra, that'll be endless entertainment.
>>
Doing heating tests in newly built wood tank with a radiant heat panel. I have never used an RHP before. The panel works awesome for ambient temps but i'm not satisfied for the basking spot. Options were to make warm side hide close to the panel with a pile of rocks, or add a UTH to specifically target floor area of aarm side hide. I tried a UTH and tgat appears to be the ticket.

So, RHP is running at about 40% power and UTH is on a thermostat. Works perfect. Also, UTH penetrates through 1/2" plywood + a ceramic floor tile easily, to my surprise.
>>
>>2860641
Bull snakes are imo some of the most beautiful north american snakes out there. They’re also great eaters in captivity. Really good youtube channel to check out is “snake discovery” as she has a few bull snakes and actually knows what she’s talking about
>>
Are ackies ferrets of the lizard world?
>>
>>2861142
... that's not a bad comparison. Kind of, yeah.
>>
File: 20181104_204532.jpg (1.92 MB, 1970x1841)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
Anyone here keep V. pilbarensis?
If so, how big of a tank would you recommend for a single animal?
>>
>>2861177
>V. pilbarensis?

Unlikely there are any anons who do here. Might be better to try some kind of forum dedicated to monitors.
>>
Is there any sort of ethical issue between making hybrids of species? I've recently discovered sulcata/leopard hybrids and redfoot/yellow foot hybrids. I'm interested in dropping the cash for one next one I see one for sale. But i might resist if there is some sort of ethical issue.
>>
>>2854338
Ntayrt but my local shop did this for years, if you wanted to buy an animal they'd just ask you what your setup was planned to be and what/how often you planned to feed it, if you knew of exotics vets in the area, etc. Not much more you can do than that but 9/10 just asking them what they plan to set the enclosure up like will weed out the fuckwads.
>>
>>2861403

Nothing major. Main thing is to check out if any particular breeding project has been known to cause birth defects. The usual deal with hybrids on the edge of what will actually work is sterile babies. The babies produced will be healthy and have no defects but will not be able to breed, making the hybrid a dead end. I am familiar with all the colubrid snake hybrid projects but tortoise hybrids are new to me.
>>
>>2861177
For monitors you should always aim to go for more than the generally accepted minimum size, they will make use of the space. V. pilbarensis probably needs similar dimensions to an ackie, which would be 4'x2'x2', as a minimum size. Going for a 5'x3'x3' would probably be ideal.
>>
>>2861419
Yea I've been fascinated by tortoises for a long time and have never even heard about them before. Looking at the prices they have gone for they dont even compare to the high white sulcatas or something like that. But the shell patterns on them look great. I was just curious because I've barely heard of hybrids in general in the reptile scene.
>>
My ball python went blue a week ago (7 days) and today I’ve been finding pieces of shed in his tank. I keep the humidity around 60% since he’s in shed, but should i be concerned that the skin isnt coming off in one piece? Is this normal?
>>
File: IMG_20181104_231630451.jpg (2.34 MB, 2340x4160)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
My cat brought this to the house. What do?
>>
>>2861567
let it go and keep your cat inside
>>
>>2861568
This. Cats ruin small local wildlife by doing shit like this, not to mention they carry toxoplasmosis and are generally shitty animals. If you're going to own one at least keep it inside.
>>
>>2861565
>Is this normal?
If there are like 3 big chunks, it's not a big deal, but if there are lots of little bits, you may want to up humidity for a bit.
>>
>>2861611
Advice for ensuring the eye caps come off?
>>
I know people hate invasive species, but having wild iguanas, and pythons here really makes it a more wonderful experience for me.
>>
Anyone here keep a bioactive set up? I wanna try doing one again because the last time i did it my soil became full of gnats and their larvae. I guess it is because of me using pure coco fiber. Next time I'll use some type of mix or just pure sphagnum moss.

Also what's the best beginner dart frog and some super easy plants to grow? I really like tinctorius ones.
>>
>>2861618
Maybe something like this?
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/vitamins-and-supplements/zoo-medandtrade-repti-snake-and-lizard-shedding-aid-5085497.html
>>
>>2859388
I hold mine about every 2 months and she's so derpy she just doesn't do anything and is still super chill to hold. When she was a baby she would nip me but now she's the most mellow creature I've ever owned
>>
>>2861983
>the last time i did it my soil became full of gnats and their larvae

Unfortunately that runs with the territory on bioactive setups. I've never managed to do it without gnats moving in at some point.
>>
>>2862088
>>2861983
Get some gnat traps, or an indoor bug zapper.
>>
>>2862094
>gnat traps, or an indoor bug zapper

Do have. That just keeps their population under control. Doesn't get rid of them completely.
>>
>>2858459
assuming you mean a common house gecko that is invasive in the US no problem
It might die from stress though so I suggest if it doesnt seem to be panning out releasing it.
I had one that I caught in the dead of winter in my bathroom that I kept for about 2 years before (illegally)releasing it when my feeder roach colony crashed
>>
File: 20171223_135101.jpg (1 MB, 1932x2576)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
>>2861983
a cheap gnat removal method is apple cider vinegar and some dish soap in a cup. They're probably just fungal gnats. Keeping your tanks a little drier helps too.
>>
File: leopard gecko 1.jpg (1.19 MB, 3264x2448)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
Hey /an/ I have had my leopard geckos for a few years now and I wondering your opinions on my husbandry and what I could improve. 92 degrees F in the hide box, 75 degrees F everywhere else, standard 10 gal tank, repticarpet to avoid impaction, standard small heat mat under the moist hide, LED light over tank and I check the temp and humidity every other week with a digital thermometer. Their diets consist of 2 superworms dusted with proper vits and cal every other day with crickets and wax worms offered as occasional treats. Although I do have a rack system all three of my leos are kept in the exact same set up as picture related. I love my little guys and would hate to have been housing them improperly, thanks.
>>
>>2862332
I don't know much about geckos, but he looks a bit cramped.
>>
>>2862332
jesus fucking christ
>>
>>2862337
Is there anything you would recommend me fix?
>>
>>2862332
Couple things:

>your tanks are too small (20g long is better for adult leos)
>no moist hide
>those half logs aren't the best hides. You want the more enclosed style like you have on the opposite side for both
>there should be a small bottle cap of calcium in tank
>a log or something to climb on will be appreciated by your geckos. Leos really do like climbing despite not being experts at it.
>>
>>2862342
Thanks for the info! I have a large fishtank in my room that keeps the humidity relatively high (and they are bathed regularly to help remove stuck shed) and I have never had any shedding problems. I am trying to get larger tanks. I just want my boys to be as happy as possible :)
>>
>>2862347

Sure thing. Gecko in picture appears to be healthy weight and spry. That's always nice to see.
>>
>>2862347
>>2862359

Oh, one extra thing you can do for gecko enrichment: paper towel rolls. Geckos love them. Cut a slit along the length just to prevent them gecko stuck inside. Second, take a silk or plastic fake plant, remove the leaves from the stalk and scatter a few of those leaves at random in the tank. They enjoy nosing around under those and sort of half digging at them.
>>
File: IMG_20181105_160122_01.jpg (1.17 MB, 1552x3156)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
lost snek in new apartment on 10/4 .. just found her today.. more like she let me find her as I walk into the kitchen and see an odd grayish noodle peekin at me from behind the oven window..

seems fine lil skinny went to go get her F/T mouse earlier

as usual continues to struggle and make life difficult by eating butt end first.. I wish I could say this is a new symptom from the month on her own but she was always retarded :[
>>
>>2862411
>odd grayish noodle peekin at me from behind the oven window
She was in the oven?? Glad you got her back.
>>
>>2862411
Hey, you posted shortly after she scampered off on you last month right? Glad she turned up. Snakes often do. That aren't much for roaming and rarely leave the house when they're out on escape adventure. There are credible stories of people finding their pet snakes a year+ after they had escaped.
>>
>>2862418
Yeah, she must have been hungry or cold enough to come out before it was that late in the day. It was like 4pm when I saw her

>>2862431
That was me yeah I did post, kinda gave up hope after the second week but I guess it is true.
>>
>>2861046
Weird, both of those are opposite to my experiences. The heat panel made hotter hot spots than I thought they would, and even when 3' away, still provided floor temps of 85F+ (hotter on top of the black plastic hides).

The UTHs I've had on the other hand, wouldn't heat through my 1/2" plywood even without being hooked up to a thermostat. I also couldn't find any tape that would stick to the wood. Even aluminum tape would only work until the pad warmed up, and then it, too would fall.

Perhaps the tile helped in your case? I had damp EcoEarth for a tropical snake.

>>2861565
What is your set up like? What are you using to measure humidity? Hygrometers aren't always reliable, and the air holds different amounts of moisture at different temps. 60% of humidity at 75F is less moisture than 60% at 90F, for example.

Heat lamps can also dry snakes out if you don't have a high humidity bedding to help counteract the bulb, and you'll also want to lower ventilation.
>>
File: pleuropodes waltl.jpg (2.19 MB, 4074x2716)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
I'd been thinking about getting a salamander, and I narrowed down the choice to either Iberian Ribbed newt or a Axolotl, and there is a breeder specialising in both those species near me Apparently they are both predominantly aquatic, but the difference is that axolotl is neotenous, and such breathes with gills. Iberian ribbed adults don't which probably means they may need a more amphibious environment, which I'm not sure how hard it would be to come up with compared to a fully aquatic environment. How hard is each of these species to care for? The breeder says the Iberian is easy for beginners, but I would like to hear your guys' opinions on what you prefer and what is easier to set up for and look after. I know about the poison iberian ribbed has and I'm okay with that and don't see it as a disadvantage, but rather an interesting quirk. On top of that, which species do you guys prefer, personally?
>>
File: GoGodGo01.jpg (45 KB, 720x556)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>2862602
>In the beginning, we were all fish. Okay? Swimming around in the water. And then one day a couple of fish had a retard baby, and the retard baby was different, so it got to live. So Retard Fish goes on to make more retard babies, and then one day, a retard baby fish crawled out of the ocean with its ...mutant fish hands... and it had butt sex with a squirrel or something and made this retard frog-sqirrel
>>
>>2862548
>Perhaps the tile helped in your case? I had damp EcoEarth for a tropical snake.

That is likely the case. Interior of my wood tank is dry with plenty of flat stones on the floor to aid heat retention. The radiant heat panel struggled a bit, I think, mostly because the ambient temp in my place is on the low end of normal room temperature range at 68 F. However, it's possible i just didn't let the interior heat up sufficiently. My initial test was only three hours duration. In any case using both RHP and UTH gives me a lot of flexibility to dial in the temperatures so I'm happy with that.
>>
>>2852193
Anons my city will destroy the habitats of a lot of frogs and i have a friend who raise sneks.
I could lend his reptile room but how do i take care of frogs and geckos when they are small?
this frogs can put a minimum of 5000 eggs
>>
How would I go about finding a new owner for my adult whites frog? US military disallows most exotic pets and I'm set to ship out next year.
My plan for right now is to make a listing on kingsnake and see where that gets me, but I would like to know if anyone here knows a faster and more reliable method. I'd really like to see it go to a good home.
>>
>>2862602
I recommend ribbed newts. Axolotls are pretty sensitive to shitty water which is bad cause they're pretty messy. Ribbed newts can handle you not changing the water for a few days. I have four ribbed newts in a 20 gallon high and they're pretty easy pets, you just gotta vacuum the bottom of the tank very often or else stuff will get built up, i recommend bare bottom. My newts are in a fully aquatic tank. They can handle tall water, just be sure to have some floating plant for them to put their head out of the water, I recommend elodea and pothos.
>>
>>2862816
Perfect, thank you anon!
>>
>>2852193
Are there any really small snakes that thrive in captivity?
I caught a super cute ringnecked snake today (first time I've ever actually seen a snake irl) and it is so cool. I can't release it until my SO gets home later because reasons, so it's just been chilling and exploring around the newspapers I gave it to hide in.
I was researching into buying one since it is so fricking cute, but from what I've read they don't do well in captivity. So are there any equally tiny (cute) snakes that do well in captivity?
>>
>>2862864
Hognose
>>
Anyone keep ackies monitors? I'm curious about getting one as a first monitor.
>>
>>2862864
I think ringnecks are the only species that are that small.
>>
>>2862864

For common species that won't involve high prices and difficulty finding, garters are the usual go-to small snake for pet keeping.
>>
>>2862802

Kingsnake is good. You can also call any local specialty reptile shops in your city to see if they may be willing to find new owner for froge.
>>
>>
File: jewelled-gecko.jpg (107 KB, 1280x853)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>2863633
>>
File: 1541516610173.jpg (82 KB, 640x640)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>2864024
Sumatran bro or any other /stp/ anons have a feel for the time between sheds for a young blood? Obviously it's not exact, but my corn has shed twice now and the blood is yet to go blue. Just seemed odd.
>>
File: 1499288219076.jpg (138 KB, 1024x942)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
froge
>>
Anyone here ever kept garter snakes? I've never owned a snake before and honestly never found them all that interesting. I prefer smaller pets that are more active and preferably a bit social. I recently read up a bit on garter snakes and it sounds like they might be a good fit to my preferences. However, it looks like they're not all that commonly kept or sold. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with them.

Also, I'm normally an invert guy and I catch most of my pets from the wild. There are plenty of garter snakes where I live and I'm sure I could find a few when the weather warms up. I know that wild caught snakes will be less agreeable than ones raised in captivity, so I was wondering if catching babies would be a good idea. Would they acclimate well to captivity if caught young? Would I need to worry about any diseases or parasites?
>>
>>2862332
hi anon. I applaud you for coming here and asking how you can approve and I agree with those that said your gecko looks very cramped. A 20 gallon MINIMUM should be your first step.
I know the thread starts off with "sand is shit", but impaction is not a risk with healthy animals. Geckos love to dig and should you take the leap with loose substrate, you'll see new and natural behaviors in your animal that will blow you away. I've switched my leopard geckos and Frog Eyed Gecko to 40gals with a sand/peat mix, the peat is very soft and they love to toss it around. I've never seen more content geckos than those on loose substrate.
If you choose not to switch, consider tossing the reptile carpet atleast. Those are bacteria breeding grounds.
Attached is a photo of my Frog Eyed Geckos enclosure, only bc I don't have photos of my leopards but all of them are the same/variations of the same thing. Sandy soil with small stones and large flat rocks under the sand so not all the floor space is completely loose. A varied landscape is great for enrichment. Please report back with any improvements, I'd love to see them!
>>
>>2864103
>Also, I'm normally an invert guy and I catch most of my pets from the wild.
Just buy one
>>
The kitten will come to you eventually. Just keep feeding her and don't chase after her. Soon she will come looking for you. If you can, try to hold her for a few minutes a day - so she knows your'e not scary....Unless you are
>>
File: 1504790843672.png (207 KB, 420x460)
207 KB
207 KB PNG
>>2864229
lol
>>
File: IMG_0140.jpg (1.56 MB, 2592x1728)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>2862732
Ah. Yeah, 3 hours isn't long enough. I usually let it warm up all day, minimum of 6-8 hours, and that's in rooms that are 70-80+. At least everything is squared away now, though.

>>2864103
I have a couple! They are one of my most active and interactive species. Retics are a close second, but just don't have the oomph of energy that garters have.

My main gripe with garters is how tiny they are, makes it difficult to handle them. Most garters top out at 3' or under, a few large species can get to 4' but are hard to find and expensive.

In the US, you do have to be careful about bylaws. In many areas, the keeping of native species is illegal, so you will have to find non-native garter species, and there may be additional hoops to jump through and be aware of. Which I suspect is part of the reason they're hard to find in the US. Many garters can be decently expensive, too, most I've found are $100-200+ unless they're a non-morph eastern or checkered or something else super common.

Do not catch any garters, that can put you in trouble legally, and isn't good for the environment. Join a garter group on FB, or search for some breeders on a classifieds website (such as Fauna). They're not common, but they shouldn't be that hard to find. Also, yes, diseases and parasites are always a worry, especially with wc animals.
>>
>>2864150
Did you build the tank yourself?
>>
>>2864037
It was about once a every two to three months with mine. It really depends on growth rate and feeding schedule.
>>
>>2864324
Hm. Well if she shed right before I got her, would still be some time before the next one, but should be relatively soon. But still giving her 1 rat fuzzy a week, may bump it up to a pup soon.
>>
>>2864237
Thanks for the response. I’m actually much more interested in observing than handling, so it’s not a big deal if they’re not the most handleable snakes. I actually find their relatively small size to be a plus. Question though, do you keep yours together? I’ve heard they’re fairly gregarious. This is probably the biggest draw for me so I’m curious.

As far as catching some goes, I’m pretty familiar with my local laws due to invert hunting and it looks like there aren’t any restrictions on catching or owning non-venomous snakes as far as I can tell. From an ethical standpoint I’m actually more inclined to catch them locally than buy one from somewhere else. However I think the health of them is more important, so I’m willing to purchase them in this case. I’m not very interested in fancy morphs so a run of the mill species will do just fine.
>>
>>2857390
Crotalus helleri for sure.
>>
File: IMG_3095.jpg (1.53 MB, 2592x1728)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
>>2864372
I do not, I personally don't want to face the risks of cohabitation. Plus, my albino checkered doesn't get along with other snakes.

What makes you more inclined to catch vs purchase? I'm curious.
>>
>>2864260
The enclosure is in a 4 stack but I did not build myself, I bought the whole unit off Facebook marketplace for 75.
>>
>>2864471
>75.
That's a steal
>>
>>2864402
It usually gives me a better understanding of their natural living conditions along with a bit more confidence that I’m not contributing to over hunting or poor captivity conditions. I’m not real familiar with it, but I think the herp trade is bit more developed and reliable than with inverts, so I probably don’t have as much worry about when purchasing them.
>>
>>2864477
it really was! Here's a photo of it when I was still water proofing it.
>>
>>2864722
Shit I need to check fb for deals more often.
>>
Is breeding snakes just casually/as a hobby actually profitable? Obviously it will depend on the species, and but is it even worth considering? I don't mean like making a living, but just a net positive cash flow.
>>
>>2864826
Nothing is guaranteed given the fickle nature of the market.
>>
>>2864857
Fair enough, but it's possible at least?
>>
>>2864826
I cant imagine doing it as a hobby being profitable
Anything that would sell regularly would be dirt cheap to the point that after a handful of meals all your potential profit would be smoke, like how are you supposed to go against 20-40 ball pythons
Anything pricier/rarer will be harder to unload but has the potential for more profit imo
Most australian snakes are in a decent price point right now of a few hundred dollars like womas and carpets
>>
>>2864876
You think feeding would zap profits? I figured as cheap as bulk rodents are, it wouldn't be too bad.
>>
i woke up this morning to find my ball python dead

i dont know what to feel, i havent opened his cage to clean it up yet
>>
>>2865098
That sucks man, sorry to hear that
>>
im assigned to herpeto student's club ^^
>>
>>2864876
Sell foods like frozen geckos and frozen frogs for people who keep herps that are very specific about what they eat.
>>
>>2865122
>Sell foods like frozen geckos and frozen frogs
Whats the point in that? Those couldn't injure a snake like a rat could, I don't think
>>
>>2865157
True, but it'd be a pain in the ass to have a constant supply of live frogs and geckos because they don't breed as consistently as rodents.
>>
Can we get people to post their setups?? I wanna see how everyone here keeps their animals
>>
>>2865346
I'm about to move my python to a tub from the tank, will post all that once it's done.
>>
File: IMG_20180918_210029.jpg (2.04 MB, 3968x2976)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>2865346
But this is most recent pic of tank. I took out the rock hide and just used and opaque tube turned upside down. Seems to like that better
>>
>>2862864
small snakes would be onesthat would not exceed 3ft. so the best options would be

Kenyan sand boa
rosy boa
western hognose

and get a male as they tend to be smaller than females
>>
File: IMG_20180612_123228.jpg (3.49 MB, 4032x3024)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
>>2865346
Leopard gecko
>>
File: WoodTerrariums.jpg (290 KB, 769x1019)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
I have photos but now that I try to find most of them I dunno what folder I put them in. Will have to take some new pictures. I built this tank last year to house two female crested geckos. On the right you can see a sliver of another tank, that one has two female pictus geckos. I just finished up building a replacement tank for them but haven't moved them over yet. Will get a shot of that during daylight tomorrow.
>>
>>2865608
How did you make it? Looks like you used pvc or something so the wood doesn't rot. Is it insulated so water doesn't leak out? I kinda wanna make an outdoor enclosure like this for some tree frogs.
>>
>>2862548
2nd anon here. I keep my ball python in a 20 tank. I put a humidity box in since last week but he doesn’t seem to use it often. His shed still hasn’t “fully formed” i.e the shed has peeled off around the bottom of his jaw and sides of his body, but still looks clear at the top. Monday will be two weeks since he went blue, and I’ve decided to give him a bath to help him that day. If I’m unable to make sure the eye caps are off I’m gonna take him to my local vet.
>>
>>2865628
Here’s a pic for reference
>>
Is there any paint that's safe to use on a turtle's shell?
>>
>>2865639
None, because then the turtle can't absorb UVB if paint covers its shell.
>>
>>2865642
Damn, so stickers are out of the question too.
>>
File: tankextension.jpg (180 KB, 504x896)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
Pic related was my first tank build project. It's a height extension for an 18"x18"x18" exo terra. Interior dimensions with the extension are 18x18x25. I have one male crested gecko currently living inside.

>>2865616

That tank is a pine wood frame with plywood bottom. Whole thing sealed with marine spar varnish. In hindsight I would not use the spar varnish again as it takes months to completely off gas (three months in my case before I couldn't smell it anymore). For outdoor use I recommend a good quality outdoor paint or epoxy resin (expensive).

Side walls of tank are corrugated plastic sheet. Back is HDF with vinyl floor tiles laminated on for water proofing. Whole bottom section of the tank is also lined with vinyl floor tiles, joints sealed with silicone. Front doors are clear acrylic sheet aka plexiglass.

>>2865648

Yes. Don't put crap on your turtle's shell.
>>
File: TankBuild2s.jpg (382 KB, 1123x842)
382 KB
382 KB JPG
>>2865657
>>2865608

Here is photo in progress of tank build number 3, intended for the pictus geckos. This tank is complete now, I'll take a photo with the acrylic front on it tomorrow. Fir and pine for this one, finished with shellac + poly clear coat, interior lined with vinyl tile.
>>
I posted my gecko melamine 4 stack of enclosures earlier and here's my pvc stack for my ball pythons and one sunglow boa constrictor.
>>
>>2865728

I like this setup. Aesthetic.
>>
here’s my leopard gecko set up
>>
File: 20181007_154322.jpg (2.91 MB, 4032x3024)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
>>2865346
Lesser genetic stripe ball python
>>
File: IMG_1816.jpg (1.08 MB, 1600x1200)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>2865628
Heating can definitely play a big part in a 20 gallon tank, and if the top isn't covered, that's a lot of escaped humidity. An inaccurate hygrometer or heat lamp are your most likely options.

A vet isn't generally needed for bad sheds, but if you go to a vet, find a specialist. A non-snake vet (as opposed to a general reptile or just regular vet dealing in domestics) will likely steer you in the wrong direction.

But, in general, all it takes is fixing your husbandry. You didn't offer a whole lot of info so idk what to suggest, but generally people use heat lamps in uncovered tanks with aspen or paper towels. In this case, I would suggest covering 2/3 of the top with something like Saran wrap or aluminum foil and switching the bedding to something like coco coir, coco chips, or sphagnum moss. In set ups with UTHs/heat tape and uncovered tops, cover the whole screen (plexiglass also works) and put maybe a handful of small-ish holes down the length. Enough that the humidity stays in, but doesn't make it stuffy.

Also, test your hygrometers to make sure they're correct. Analog hygrometers are almost worse than not having a hygrometer at all since they can be 30-50% off the actual humidity on a good day, and a digital hygrometer that cannot be calibrated and is inaccurate should be replaced as well. Use the salt test to determine how well the hygrometer is working.

Honestly, I would save myself the money and at least try these avenues first. No need to spend $100-200 just for a visit if all you need to do is fix husbandry.

Old pic of my bp deep in shed.
>>
>>2865728
>>2865667
>>2865657
>>2865608
Damn I was feeling ok about my self till I saw these. I need to level up
>>
hey guys im about to do my monthly refresh of substrate for my ball. Right now im doing 50/50 coconut fiber and cypress mulch. But i see a lot of people are doing pure coconut fiber. Any opinion on which is better?
>>
>>2866209
Don't do it. Coconut fiber sucks ass at holding moisture and also is perfect for gnats to lay their eggs in
>>
>>2852193
Why does my turtle keep staring at me? What the fuck is his problem?
>>
>>2866209
>Right now im doing 50/50 coconut fiber and cypress mulch
Whats wrong with that?
>>
>>2866267
He wants to fuck
>>
File: TankBuild3s.jpg (401 KB, 1200x785)
401 KB
401 KB JPG
>>2865667

Here is photo of completed thingy. The extra piece of the acrylic on the left is just because I ran out of large enough panels to do the whole thing in one. Acrylic being pricey and all I made do. I'm doing heating tests right now to figure out the best way to get the ambient temp + basking spot at a good balance for the pictus geckos. Geckos have not taken residence in their new digs yet.

>>2866047

Oh geez. Please don't feel bad. Construction was my career for many years.
>>
>>2865746

I see that leo sticky his/her tongue out there. Cute.
>>
>>2865557

I love your hand made decor. That is something i've never tackled myself.
>>
New York Reptile expo in 15 days, should I bother setting up a new enclosure? I regretted not being able to buy a pipa pipa or two the last time cause they weren't there again.
>>
>>2866360
if you already have the equipment, i say do it. You could also setup a general tank that could be quickly adapted for a variety of different herps.
>>
>>2866356
I didn’t even notice that at first, lol. good eye
>>
>>2866462
Well right now I only have a spare 55 gallon which I cant set up now. I hope the herp i get will be fine living in a $2 plastic box from home depot for a month or two before i get a proper tank lol
>>
File: 20181029_080933.jpg (3.45 MB, 4032x3024)
3.45 MB
3.45 MB JPG
You have been visited by the sleeping dumpy of restfulness. You will have eight hours of quality sleep tonight only if you reply with "sleep tight froggo"
>>
>>2866593
sleep tight froggo
>>
File: WP_20141230_009.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448)
3 MB
3 MB JPG
>>2865746
>>
>>2865789
I use aspen with an uth and an overhead, i cover the top screen with a moist towel and it keeps the humidity up really well. I’ve been trying to keep my husbandry up and provide the best for my snake. However since it is my first, i feel like it’s more nerves on my part than anything. Like i said, i plan on giving him a good bath monday and trying to feed him tuesday. I’ll definitely be more prepared next time he sheds though
>>
File: 1528479911336.jpg (92 KB, 600x538)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
I'm a complete beginner when it comes to reptiles. Had an aquarium and a an aquatic frog before but that's about it. What species of snake would you recommend for a start? I have a tank that's 80*35*40 (about 112l) that's open on top.
>>
>>2866743
Most snakes are pretty easy. The active snakes are water snakes and garter snakes, and they can be tamed easily if they're captive bred. The easiest beginner snakes however are snakes like hognoses, Rosy boas, Kenyan sand boas, ball pythons, etc.
>>
>>2866209
Depends. I usually choose coco fiber by itself (EcoEarth brand) because it holds humidity so well on its own.

I did use a mix of EcoEarth and cypress mulch for my rainbow boas in their tubs, so that the EcoEarth would dry out before it molded. In most other set ups, I don't have that issue, though. As long as you use some sort of overhead heater, the fiber tends to dry out on its own in about a week or two, or less, depending on how humid it is where you live.

Pure cypress on the other hand...I have had nothing but terrible experiences with. Cypress actively repels water once dry, so it's terrible for humidity, and then of course I worry about splinters because that was a major issue I had when using ReptiBark. I never used it long term by itself, but I definitely recommend the EcoEarth over the cypress.

I maintain humidity by pouring water directly in the fiber, and mixing up the bedding. It should just be damp, not wet, and no water should come out when you squeeze. I usually do one half at a time, that way if I mess up and pour too much, I can just mix some dry bedding in. Using a sprayer wasn't sufficient in my experience, whether a pump or hand sprayer. It holds so much humidity you'll be sitting there all day or spraying every few hours if you don't just dump it.

>>2866251
Never had a problem with gnats, so long as you keep it clean, and let it dry out on the top.

>>2866626
Exchange the moist towel for something nonporous like Saran wrap or aluminum foil. If his shed was in pieces, his humidity likely wasn't adequate. I generally keep my bp around 70%, but I would at least maintain 70%+ while in shed if you don't keep it there 24/7. If your hygrometer is reading proper levels, double check it's reading correctly.
>>
>>2867654
Is it worth going to the vet to remove eye caps on my bp? Or should i just wait until he sheds again and hope it comes off on its own? The vet wants $30 just for eye caps
>>
>>2867809
What's he gonna do for 30 that you can't do?
>>
>>2867863
Hopefully not blind my snake
>>
>>2866614
>>
>>2867999
Oh yea. Maybe worth it then
>>
File: 20181111_190030.jpg (2.36 MB, 1960x2614)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
oh man got my Asian Vine the other day and he's an absolute cutie
anybody have any good recommendations for a better auto mister? mine right now works, but I have to refill it all the time, and it's a little annoying to do it
>>
>>2868229
are you gonna feed it lizards?
>>
>>2868229
Whoa! Very cool get.

MistKing is the gold standard mister. Water supply tank is not sold with it. As far as I remember the instructions recommend a 5 gallon pale for the purpose. Not only is the mistking well built out of the box, all of the separate parts are sold individually so you can easily customize it for your purposes.
>>
File: 20181112_212404.jpg (2.75 MB, 1960x2614)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB JPG
>>2868235
the pervious owner had him on lizards, so I'm going with that for the time being. Are frogs better for them? or is it better to give them a variety of options?

>>2868245
thanks! I'm very happy with the purchase
>>
>>2868248
So these handle well?
>>
>>2868252
I can't really say as I've only had him for a few days, and I don't want to bother him too much.
Slightly expensive initial setup though because their needs are very particular.
>>
>>2868255
Well he looks pretty cool, post updates
>>
File: IMG_2798.jpg (1.74 MB, 2592x1728)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>2867809
If you aren't comfortable doing it on your own, yeah, I would have the vet do it. If you leave it, more layers will get stuck.

I will say, if you have normal levels of dexterity, you will be able to get it off without harming the snake if you be careful not to put pressure on it. I used to take my bp's eye caps off when he had bad sheds (I was a young kid and didn't know husbandry yet), by just gently squishing water onto his eye with a towel for several minutes until it loosened, and then it usually came off with the towel or a q-tip with only the gentlest of touches. It's been at least a decade since, and he can still see so I think it was a pretty good job and not too hard with some patience.
>>
>>2868533
And before i do this, i’d like to make 100% certain this isn’t just a dented eye. Definitely need to be sure it’s the actual eye cap and not his eye. Pic for reference, just took it.
>>
>>2868658
>dented eye.
>>
>>2868676
What
>>
>>2868658
Just put some mineral oil on his eye caps, I’ll update tomorrow if they’ve come off
>>
NEW THREAD
>>2866976
>>2866976

Because no one linked to it. Migrate at your leisure.
>>
>>2868658
It definitely looks cracked or something, I've seen that many times on my bp. It doesn't look like there's any skin around the edges, and the skin isn't being pulled away or anything, so I don't see signs of a stuck eye cap.

You can probably leave it for the next shed, but it's definitely dehydrated.

>>2868676
Technically, yeah, it's the eye cap and not the eye itself.

>>2868696
Do not do this unless you actually do want your snake to potentially lose its eye.
>>
Ah, Pipidae, those frogs are the shit.
>>
>>2866593
sleep tight froggo

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.