[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.
Before asking questions in this thread, do a bit of searching online to see if it has been answered already.
Make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Links:

Tank Cycling:
>http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php
>https://modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Articles and Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
>https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm
>http://www.scotcat.com/
>https://www.loaches.com/species-index
>http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
>https://aquaticarts.com/
>https://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/
>https://www.aquariumplants.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Check on ebay or aquabid.

Old thread: >>2851020
>>
First for planted tank masterrace
>>
>>2857333
I went to buy some food today and saw lill statues of the ninja turtles and spongebob at the decoration stand. I always thought only children who get a 1g tank with a gold fish would buy these awfull generic looking things. Guesse i was wrong... i hope at least some of the plants are real. Poor fish.
>>
What's a good diet for pearl gourami? I'm feeding them brine shrimp, blood worms and occasionally live flightless fruit flies at the moment, thinking they might need more veg in their diet. The tank is the heavily planted and there's algae to nibble on, is that enough or should I throw in some extra sometimes?
>>
>>2857333
Hey guys! I have a betta fish named Burger King in a 10 gallon cycled tank. No matter what decoration I give him in his tank to hide in, he doesn't seem to like it. What decorations do you guys have for bettas that they like to hide in?
>>
Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnow best fish

I need them to breed so I can carry on the lineage sans LFS
>>
>>2857739
are they mutated drosophila flies?
>>
>>2857754
Yes they are, I breed them in a small container specifically for the fish tanks
>>
Does anyone have plans to build a fish room stand? I'm looking to do a 3 tier stand with 4x 10 gallon on the top, a 55 gallon middle tier and a sump on the bottom. Also an idiots guide to diy sump would be great
>>
>>2857748
mine doesn't seem to care about his décor much either. I have a floating moss ball tied with fishing line to a rock and he enjoys hugging that sometimes but that's about it
>>
My female betta has a constipation problem. I’ve tried the half a peeled boiled pea thing but she wasn’t interested. She’s huge, stomach bloated to scary proportions and unable to swim. She just rests atop a piece of decor by the surface of the water. What is the humane thing to do?
>>
File: worm morsel.webm (1.33 MB, 600x338)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB WEBM
>>
>>2858427
Me either
>>
Legit angry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOmkz7bc3W0&t=1232s
>>
>>2860434
Why
>>
>>2860445
>>2860434
He's kept in bare minimum requirements

If I got a tank with 6 cories I won't be able to take with me when I move, and I don't trust my parents to keep them alive, what's the best option to find them a home? Was thinking of giving them away on craigslist.
>>
File: 7BOdsul.png.jpg (11 KB, 552x414)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>keeping fish and crustaceans for over a decade in this house using de-chlorinated tap water
>everything is swell
>within the last year our tap starts getting copper levels too toxic for crustaceans to handle
>now the pH comes out way higher than it has been and almost too high for the fish I currently have
>>
>>2858427
I have a castle that's open on top. Mine seems to like that one.Doesn't really hide, just swims through the arch
>>
How does one keep the vacuum stickythingy that holds the thermometer and stuf to not fall of? It seems like after a while they just stop working. Is there an old grandma's secret?
>>
Anyone pick up any new tanks from Petco's $1/gal sale?

Apparently it's ending very soon. One of my local Petco's were having a clearance on 75G (apparently they got a bunch but barely sold any) so it was discounted on top of the 50% off with the sale (40g, 55g, 75g are only 50% off, not $1/gal), plus this coupon:
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/c/nov18-10-off-30?cm_mmc=CJ-_-PTC_P_WEB_CJ_FY16_1122587-_-4485850-_-10412456&AID=10412456&PID=4485850&SID=2af171eadfe011e8a9ab1a5de5c8a3b20INT&cjevent=2b0e10b3dfe011e8829c01210a24060d&utm_config=tad9f4sof&utm_campaign=4485850&utm_advertiserid=CJ&utm_source=cj

Ended up totaling just over $33 with tax included for me.

I got the third to last one, by the time I pulled my car up, the last two were sold.
>>
>>2860580
No, they just do. They're cheap as shit so not exactly high quality. The ones on my heater last years though.
>>
>>2860434
yeah of course he is a shitskin
fuck antscanada, fucking faggot i hope his axolotl dies and his ants and his faggot bird too
>>
File: sad-1930479_1280.jpg (297 KB, 1280x981)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
Danio anon here, my betta looks F U C K E D

But he's still hangin in there, so I don't want to Old Yeller him yet ;_;

I'm going to dig through all my clothes tomorrow and try to find enough change to get him some proper medicine.

I'm keeping his water pristine and I gave him a 10 min. epsom salt bath about half an hour ago.

Pray for the little dude.
>>
>>2860463
Local fish clubs tend to be the best bet to ensure they're going to a good home.

However I've given/sold most of my fish through Craigslist as the clubs around my area tend to be really only interested in higher end stuff.
>>
>>2858489
Epsom salt bath. Google it. Should clear that constipation right up. Look into better food in the future. Maybe stay away from 100% blood worms if that's what you've been using.
>>
>>2860597
Sounds as retarded as the voiceover guy from BrightSide. Incredibly painful to listen to.
>>
New to fish keeping. I hate the nitrogen cycle, I'm not sure if I'm doing anything right. But it needs to be done to keep the little guys happy when they arrive, so I'll just deal with it.
Any tips on how best to do it? Anything to watch out for? The qt3.14 at my LFS said to get some mollies to help kick start the cycle, they've been in there for 2 days and seem fine and active. I also bought some "instant" bacteria.
I'm using carbon and polyester floss to try and help remove tannin discoloration from wood, I'm not sure it's working. Any tips?
My water ph is 8.4, is that bad? I've heard normal is around 7.
>>
>>2860624
take out carbon no real need for it
boil wood beforehand to help get rid of tannins
nitrogen cycle takes time no real way to speed it up
ph is high but probably ok
make sure you are testing your water daily with liquid test kit and keeping a log
>>
>>2857333
I have a mini bong that looks really cool but hardly ever use. If I cleaned it out really well, would it be viable tank decor?
>>
>>2860624
>>2860630
First off, good job even knowing about the nitrogen cycle before starting your first tank. Most don't. I certainly didn't (to be fair my first tank was over two decades ago).

Second, mollies are very hardy so they could very well survive the cycle in relatively good health.

Third, I agree with the other anon that the carbon isn't that great. It does have its uses, for instance after you do a water change after medication, as it will absorb the rest of it. However, water changes will clear up tanins WAY faster than carbon, and will also be cheaper. Boiling it does work though, so do that first.

For mollies your pH is fine, so long as you keep it stable, but what do you plan on keeping long term? It is on the high end but it'll likely be way more stressful to most fish if you keep trying to combat your pH and keep having fluctuations. Then you have to worry about water changes drastically altering your pH as well. Better to stock fish that can handle that pH rather than try to force your pH to something a fish needs.
>>
>>2859492
That axolotl seems fat Anon
>>
>>2860434
Did you even watch the whole thing? He's most likely going to give it more space.
>>
File: IMG_20180514_121052.jpg (2.95 MB, 3024x4032)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB JPG
>>2860624
You should definitely remove the carbon, and accept that your water is as hard as the ocean.

Mollies will do great, guppies, swordtails, snails of all sorts.

Plants aside from.hardy mosses and valisneria will have trouble.

The pH keeps it more stable though.
And you will just need water changes.

Honestly if I were you, I'd get shell dwelling cichlids.
Though they'd be mean to the mollies.

Carbon is shit, and the tannins will go away after a few months.

Instant bacteria is unnecessary for future reference.

And you should age your water for around 24 hours before any waterchange bigger than 10% or if you have delicate species.

Avoid most Amazonian fish.
African fish might do decently.

The cycle for any future tank can be started by moving a decoration to it, or squeezing out a filter sponge into the new water, or buying a plant.

Though most plants will have trouble in your tank.

Snails will love your water though.
Consider nerites or mystery snails.
Or if you're spendy, some of those sulawesi ones.

You could also go light brackish and if you have a good secure lid, a red claw crab is also a nice choice.

Or a pair of dwarf crayfish.
(Regular crayfish will kill mollies)
>>
>>2860468
well if you love your crustaceans/fish you should get an RO/DI set up. what kind of crustaceans do you keep? crayfish? carnivorous prawns? shrimp?
>>
my lace fin squeaker cat (synodontis eruptus) is harassing my farlowella, he's very feeble in comparison to the synodontis and get's his food taken, even the rams fuck with him. what do?
>>
>>2860624
do what>>2860644
says and either go for shell dwelling cichlids or a brackish set up. you could also keep livebearers like fancy guppies or swordtails, they love the alkaline water and do really well in it. guppies especially. you could keep a guppy colony, which in my opinion, is an extremely underrated tank in the hobby.
>>
>>2860639
>>2860644

I have a 20 gallon high, and want to stock it with weird fish. Kuhli loaches look like tiny eels so I was gonna get a group of 5. I'd like to get an African Butterfly Fish too, since they hang out near the top and the loaches are bottom dwellers. Plus they look like mini arowanas spliced with a lion fish. Then I'd like a small colony of amano shrimp to help with algae and plant maintenance. Wanted to get ghost shrimp, but I've heard they aren't as good at cleaning. Also saw a vid where they got huge and ate baby angelfish, so I don't want something that would eat my loaches.

I have java fern, anubias, and duckweed. Surprisingly, the duckweed seems to be the thing that isn't doing well. I've heard it's nearly invincible. I want to get a low maintenance carpeting plant too, but I don't want to do co2 so that might be off the table.

I want to save boiling the wood for a last resort. One of the pieces of wood is silicone glued to the side wall of the tank to create a sort of 2 level tank. Plus I've heard boiling doesn't always help. Did a water change today, color looks way better. I've decided to find the tea color desirable, within reason.

I'll keep the rest of the carbon of I ever need to get rid of extra chemicals. Thanks for the tip on those, and the plants. Would the fish I want be okay in my setup?
>>
>>2860667
monte carlo is a pretty low maintenance carpeting plant, african butterfly fish are too big for a 20 high though
>>
>>2860689
That's a bummer, the thing grabbed my eye as soon as I saw it. Any suggestions on a weird looking fish that could fit in a 20h and would hang out at the top of the tank? Maybe something that I could get in a school?
>>
>>2860718
you arent going to find a large schooling fish for a tiny ass tank like a 20h
>>
>>2860722
Doesn't have to be big.
>>
>>2860725
Pygmy hatchet fish
>>
Does aquarium water become toxic after a fish dies in it and sits for some time?
>>
>>2860636
As long as its glass, yes. I used to have an air pump attached to a bubbler in a tank. Be careful not to live up to your own stereotype, not trying to offend you.
>>
>>2860718
Hatchet fish are the only ones that pop up in mind. They look nice and all chill at the top. Kinda tetra looking.
>>
>>2860617
What's wrong with your betta m8?
>>
My betta didn't make it.
>>
File: giphy (6).gif (1.37 MB, 500x266)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB GIF
>>2861026
>>2861030
I was a fucking dumb ass and tried to put him in the bigger tank with the danuos so he could have more room.

Everything was fine for about a week, then thwy beat the shit out of him which lowered his immune system.

I got him out of the tank as soon as I noticed damage, but he got some kind of fungal infection almost over night.

He was still breathing good last night and up, so I had false hope and gave him a ten minute epsom salt bath.

He was ok after, but this morning...yea he ain't breathing.
>>
>>2861034
Get your vengeance. Flush the danios. Buy a peaceful schooling fish to keep in the big tank with a new betta. Have your cake and eat it too.
>>
>>2861034
what type of danios? giant danios? zebra danios?

if you are getting a new betta you should get a really beautiful one off aquabid
>>
>>2861084
I'm trying to re-home them, but more than likely I'll just keep them till they pass on.

I don't like them, but they just doing what fish do, and I was the one that took the risk.
>>2861086
Leopard danio. Bout the same size as zebra.

And no... No more fish until I have some medicine stocked up.
>>
>>2860796
Ammonia shoots up, yes.
>>
Think my white cloud minnows will try to breed soon, their behavior changed, males started displaying their fins and got slightly more colourful, only got them a bit under two weeks ago, for now gonna let nature take its course, dont really have plants or anything for the fry to hide
>>
>want ada nature aquarium with lots of co2 and bucephalandra
>plants need acidic water
>also want livebearers like guppies
>guppies want alkaline water
is there a worst feeling in the hobby?
can anyone who's kept both show ada tanks and livebearer colonies tell me which is better?
>>
>>2860655
Mostly ghost shrimp, but I've kept bamboo shrimp and a dwarf crayfish before. What's the minimum amount of money I should put into getting such a setup to make sure I'm not getting el cheapo garbage?
>>
Hey anons, my birthday is coming up and all I want is another fish tank. Issue is, I live with family and have literally no room in my own room for another. I really want a nice display tank for the living room but my family is very against the idea. There is plenty of room but they hate the idea. Any way I can convince them to let me put one in?
>>
>>2861169
120-200$
>>
>>2861130
I mean if I let a fish rot to bones in an aquarium, will the water kill me if I get some in my mouth?
>>
>>2860597
That would just be YouTube content for him.
>>
>>2860718
Some of the rainbow fish are pretty wild looking.
>>
File: hitchhikers.jpg (1.39 MB, 975x1675)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
So I've been noticing these baby snails ever since I got a new plant. Are they juvenile mystery snails? I'll let them grow and then I'll get a pea puffer to eat them (after all my other fish die or get relocated).
>>
>>2861401
Those look like bladder snails
>>
Do you think its ethical to keep a betta in a fluval spec III, if its planted and has a heater?
>>
>>2861401
Sorry to say, but you are fucked fren. They are bladder or pond snails, breed very rapidly and eat plants.
>>
>>2861435
>>2861448
Oh I may have to get a pea puffer sooner rather than later
That'll fix it right?
>>
>>2861401
Just crush them with your fingers and let your other fish eat them. Put them in a terracotta saucer so you can remove them if your fish dont eat them all
>>
File: elon01.jpg (30 KB, 500x249)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
Found a pack of these guys frozen at the asian supermarket under the name "spiny goby." Did some research and found out that they're pseudapocryptes elongatus, a Vietnamese mudskipper. Anyone know where i can possibly get them for sale? I want to set up a more unique brackish water tank instead of the pufferfish, molly, and fiddler crab combo everyone does.
>>
File: 20181105_015120.jpg (2.99 MB, 4128x3096)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB JPG
>>2861401
They are bladder snails. They breed very quick if enough food around. I kept them since it was the only thing i can keep atm. But they ate everything i planted and where with more then 30. A few months ago i put two in a sort of mason jar with a rock and a three leafed plant. Because i couldnt kill em, and since then there are only two snails, All the time. They dont touch the plant and i litterly never fed them or cleaned the thing. It can make a nice desk tank.
>>
>>2861458
I don't really wanna do that, I wanna see them get ate
>>
File: ASS snails.jpg (138 KB, 720x540)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>2861454
Maybe. Assassin snails are a popular choice for dealing with pest snails. They tend to go after the smaller ones first though. What fish do you keep in there?
>>
File: 1536629989867.jpg (111 KB, 960x641)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>2861474
Ok ok. Bladder snail tank. Interesting. I could do that pretty easily actually. But I'd have to do water changes all the time so the water doesn't get nasty
>>
>>2861481
I have a betta, neon tetras, ghost shrimp and a big mystery snail. I forgot about assassin snails. I don't want my mystery snail to get hurt.
>>
>>2861489
Hmm you might not want to risk it because assassins have a stinger they use to paralyze their prey, but also if you have a mystery snail, you won't be able to get a pea puffer.
>>
>>2861484
I never did a water change, accept add water ever two days from what evaporated. The water looks clear as hell and stays quiet stabel at 23°C, its just normal tap water so i dont put any money in it.
>>
>>2861494
I'll just quarantine my mystery snail in a separate tank like >>2861496 and toss in an assassin. I love that snail.
Thanks guys.
>>
>>2861213

Gross but unlikely.
>>
File: IMG_20181104_190117_111.jpg (86 KB, 1080x1080)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
This my baby Deadpool.
Am I doing it right?
>>
>>2861526
what size is the aquarium?
>>
File: 20181104_210335.jpg (1.49 MB, 2560x1440)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
Can anyone identify this plant?
>>
>>2861151
pH drop from CO2 doesn't affect the fish, as long as you don't gas them. Carbonates have buffering capacity, so you need some KH in order to run CO2 properly anyway.
>>
>>2861607
Looks like dwarf sag
>>
>>2861526
get rid of the pebbles. they are harmful if he digests them. axo need sand and stones too large for them to eat
>>
File: Fanwort-Infestation.jpg (124 KB, 1000x750)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>2861674
After doing some further research I found that Dwarf Sag is common and invasive in my region.

There's also a pond full of fanwort that looks like this. I wanna take some but I don't wanna touch water like that.
>>
>>2861877
>I wanna take some but I don't wanna touch water like that.
you are like little girl
>>
>>2857748
I have a floating log and some fake leaves i put on the top near the surface (keeps log in place) and mine seems to like it. He prefers to sleep and hangout at the top of the tank.
>>
>>2857333
I can't get these little white worms that like to wiggle around in the water in my tank ffs they don't seem to be hurting my fish but they are annoying
>>
File: DSC03371.jpg (495 KB, 2112x1584)
495 KB
495 KB JPG
>>2857748

>>2861901
My betta used to sit alone in a 5g with a piece of wood. I put him in a community tank along with hes piece of wood and he always patroled around it flaring at anything that came to close to hes crib. When he was alone he looked bored after 5sec with everything. I like to think hes still defending hes property up above.
>>
>>2861916
guys my tank doesn't have any fauna in it yet besides these worms, I think I've identified them as nematodes. My tank is 10 gallons, any advice is there a fish I can keep in the tank that'll eat them that can be comfortable in temperatures of 80 with that tank size? It's already fully planted and filtered. Would a product that would kill the worms be a good idea or could it damage the plants I've been growing?
>>
How the FUCK can I keep my mystery snail from eating all my floating plants? The little bastard will float to the top of the tank to get the shit at the middle of it and eat it. I love the little idiot who wont eat detritus but I dont have the money to keep replacing all this azola and shit
>>
>>2862006
Cory cats and kuhli loaches. They're most likely detritus worms and aren't harmful but pretty ugly
>>
>>2862045
don't kuhli's grow really big?
>>
>>2862037
Dead leaves
>>
>>2862056
Pick some dead leaves from outside? Do I float them or waterlog em?
>>
>>2862059
why would a snail eat some nasty dead leaves from outside when it could eat some nice fresh plants that you keep providing for it?
>>
>>2857333
Anybody pro at keeping substrate and sand seperated. Or should i redo the whole tank again and be more carefull siphoning in the future?
>>
>>2862110
Magnets.
>>
>tfw my male krib finally accepts his waifu
He was bullying her for a while but now they are displaying at eachother.
>>
>>2862083
I'd appreciate it if he ate some of the melting plants or the overgrown ones instead
>>
>>2862114
From the fridge?
>>
>>2862055
Plecos can definitely get fuckhuging (depending on variety) but I'm not sure about Kuhlis. Check the size online or in store, they will tell you if the variety you're looking at is gonna get yuge or not.
>>
>>2862123
imagine a bag of lettuce, would you eat the green stuff or the occasional piece of brown lettuce? if you have no green plants the snail will likely eat the other stuff. maybe the floaters are just more tasty
>>
>>2862141
Damn. Are floaters out of the question then? If I gave him some blanched spinach would he prefer that to the plants?
>>
>>2862144
im not sure it would have to be blanched, but it will help it sink at least. i feed my snails just organic spinach mix, just toss a handful in at a time. but i find they are constantly eating, but its worth a shot to try to give them something else to eat, the dont really do much other than search for food and breed.
>>
I think one of my fish is autistic. How can I really tell?
He is always swimming away from the school and is just dumb looking.
>>
>>2862055
you're thinking of dojo loaches. Dojo loaches come from Europe and North Asia and are coldwater and get a foot long. Kuhli loaches look very similar but come from from tropical Asia (i think borneo) and only get 4 inches.
>>
>>2862148
yeah mystery snails really aren't that picky, they'll eat dead leaves even if there are green leaves around but I do find they go nuts for eating dead things, like if a fish died
>>
>>2857333
Ideal tank temperature for loaches?
>>
>>2862166
What kind of loaches? Mid 70s should be OK.
>>
My black betta and thicc balloon molly are best friends in my new 20 gallon
>>
>>2862389
I just don't understand the appeal of deformed monsters like balloon mollies or bubble eye goldfish, etc. Super fancy betas are marginally in this category too.
>>
>>2862395
Got her for free so I can’t complain

Learned to love the little monster
>>
This new kind of betta arrived at the store

How cool
>>
>>2862161
>coldwater
Nigga they do fine in tropical tanks. They are raised outdoors all over southeast Asia as food fish. They just also can tolerate living in an outdoor pond in canada. Dojo loaches don't care about temp
>>
>>2862424
Beautiful. And the fins aren't crazy long.
>>
Had to replace my 20L today because it was starting to leak. Got a refund and a free tank, but I still have my old tank here.

How difficult is resealing this? It was only leaking from one of the top corners, so can I get away with only replacing one edge's seal?
>>
>>2862452
I forgot what it's called but you could do a half water (on the good side) and land (on the bad side) and have crabs or something.
>>
File: gpas meeting.png (497 KB, 639x424)
497 KB
497 KB PNG
>Eric Hanneman, PhD will be presenting "Atlantic Deepwater Canyons Expedition 2012" at GPAS's November meeting, about the three weeks he spent at sea with NOAA, investigating the offshore canyons along the Atlantic coast. Eric Hanneman brought goldfish home in those white, waxy paper boxes with the metal handle as a child and started his first aquarium in middle school in the Chicago area. He got into the African cichlid frenzy and started breeding Tanganyikans before moving to the West Coast for graduate studies in neurobiology. He has traveled to Mexico, Central America, and Africa to see cichlids in the wild. After owning and operating Liquid Sunshine, a tropical fish specialty store in Eugene, he moved to North Carolina to serve as the Coordinator for Fish and Invertebrates at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. Recently retired, he last worked as a Research Technician for Oregon State University and NOAA’s Alaska Fisheries Science Center in Newport, Oregon. He currently maintains a dozen tanks and breeds Mexican tetras, livebearers, and cichlids from Lake Tanganyika and Central America.

Slightly irritated with the local aquarium society here in Portland right now.
What the fuck does this have to do with aquariums?
>>
>>2862489
Literally anybody with a powerpoint presentation featuring underwater pictures and a prepared 25 min talk is welcome to ruin an aquarium society meeting.
>>
>>2862489
I'm guessing the aquarium society here isn't worth joining?
>>
>>2862515
Maybe he will talk about the creatures he has brought up and kept in special tanks, doubt it though.

>>2862526
No, it's generally informative and worth going to the meetings. Last month the talk was on aquascaping. No idea why it isn't aquarium-related this month. It's free to the public, so no real need to "join" although you do get a small discount at Aquarium Co-op and some other places. Plus, you can sell stuff at the auction after the meeting (you can still sell w/o membership, but proceeds go to club). The auction that follows the meeting is pretty much why I go. There are some normal people there, but a lot of weird Portlanders or whatever they call themselves.
>>
>>2862452
Prep is everthing. The better you prep the joint, the better results you'll get. But it's not really hard to do.
>>
File: 20181106_063006.jpg (1.57 MB, 2560x1440)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
I finally getting some regen on the plants I collected, this makes me happy. I also bought a water sprite clump from Petco when picking up fishfood.
>>
File: 20181106_063015.jpg (1.55 MB, 2560x1440)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
>>2862538
I've got the tank about 2/3rds full now, waiting on some parts for my DIY filter setup to show before I fill it the rest of the way.
>>
File: 20181106_063642.jpg (1.31 MB, 2560x1440)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>2862541
This live foods cultures has aquatic ispods, Gamarus shrimps, and Cyclopoid Coepods, plus a ton of freshwater limpets.
>>
>>2862544
I've got a pair of orange spot sunfish and a pair of central mudminnows for future tank residents, they're currently in a 12 gallon acrylic bow front that is too scratched up for acceptable potato photography.
>>
>>2861213

Anon, the exit bag is a much less disgusting way to leave this world...
>>
File: 9965901_w800.jpg (89 KB, 600x600)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
anyone else hyped for the Fluval Edge 32g long coming out early next year?

probably gonna be a ridiculous like $300 or some shit though
>>
>>2862435
They actually live longer in cold water, up to like 20 years. In tropical tanks its only 5 to 7 years.
>>
>>2860656
don't keep boisterous fish (synos, chiclids) with pure wholesome fish (sticks)
>>
Got some chocolate rabbit snails about a month ago and they've been very active up until two or three days ago, where they started acting very lethargic. At this point, they haven't come out of their shells in over a day and I've moved them to a quarantine tank as a precaution. The other snails in the main aquarium (black devils, horned nerites, racer nerites, zebra nerite) are all doing fine as always. Is it possible that they're hibernating?

I just took a whiff and they don't smell great, but don't smell horrible either, and I never huffed them when they were active so I don't know what they should smell like. I'm mostly concerned that both hibernated/died at basically the same time.
>>
>>2860736
Be sure to get a lid though, they are literally flying fish in the wild.
>>
File: 20181106_154148.jpg (3.28 MB, 3873x2268)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
Betta update
He is still swollen (pic related, he was trying to swipe a pleco wafer) but still active, healthy, etc. He has been like this for ~2 weeks. Is it possible he is just fat?
>>
>>2862982
My lill fuck had the same. He survived for over 3 month but sadly died because. He never seemed botherd by it and look to live a happy life. Aslong as he doesnt show signs of sickness, just take care of him as you would. Trying to fix it mostly ends it aswell.
>>
>>2862982
Happened to my most recent beta. Do you only use dry food? He's gonna die ain't no fixin him
>>
>>2862725
fluval plz go
>>
>>2862982
You shouldn't be feeding him at all.
>>
File: Untitled.png (902 KB, 792x540)
902 KB
902 KB PNG
I wonder if my otocinclus think that pygmy cories are just baby versions of themselves.
>>
Good, reasonably priced heater for a 10-gallon, anticipating a future upgrade to a 20-gallon?
>>
>>2863116
Can't go wrong with a 50-100 watt Hagen Marina, very reasonably priced.
>>
>>2863093
b-but their tank is neat.. and tanks with built in overflows are the future!!! HOB's a shit! SHIT!
>>
>>2861439
Not really, no
>>
>>2861476
What happens after they get eaten? Youre going to keep needing more, which seems pointless dont you think?
>>
>>2861877
Get gloves, then hydrogen peroxide it in its own tank
>>
How reliable is Arizona Aquatic Gardens insofar as shipping fish?
>>
>>2863097
how cute
>>
>>2862549
love a good native tank
>>
>>2862529
why are aquariums so popular in that neck of the woods? no one likes anything other than monster fish in this area
>>
anyone here keep half beaks or fish in the belonesox genera? im thinking about getting a 100 gallon belonesox colony. would be fun to feed them i feel, and i could probably sell them for a good price to fellow aquarists, not just to petsmart or whatever.
>>
File: Apistogramma.jpg (511 KB, 1024x799)
511 KB
511 KB JPG
What is the best genus of freshwater fish and why is it Apistogramma?
>>
>>2863200
they can't really be done in a colony like other livebearers since they are highly cannibalistic. even if you have a bunch of tight hiding spots the younger ones will be able to get in and eat the babies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCyzcSlE5Ck
>>
>>2863206
apistos found at stores are generally cull-tier. that's my only issue with them. i'd love to get a pair with perfect finnage and nice genetics and breed them and be able to select the highest quality offspring. unfortunately i do not know anyone who can sell me perfect specimens without defects. all the ones at LFS's are trash tier like pictured
>>
>>2863195
I don't know really. Where are you from? The area around Portland is very green and very beautiful, so maybe we take the inspiration from nature and apply that to freshwater aquariums. Freshwater is way more popular here than saltwater, but there is at least one or two LFS here that specialize in saltwater fish and coral only. But within an hour drive of home, I can go to at least 10 different fish shops, not including chain stores like Petsmart. Even more if you make a trip north up to Seattle area, but I haven't been that way in a good 15 years.
>>
>>2863193
I feel bad that this larger tank isn't ready yet because my male Mudminnow is too big for their temporary housing, he's almost 6 inches long, which is too long for the tank. He displays at the female, but she's not even close to interested, thankfully he hasn't beat her up yet, that's something people say is a concern. The Orange Spot male is in full nuptual colors but doesn't display, I hope that both pairs can relax enough to breed. The female mudminnow I caught first, and she got relaxed enough with me to take pellet food from my finger, but the male is wilder and it rubbed off on her, she won't do it any more.
>>
>>2863215
Did you catch them with a hook, net, or trap? I've considered making one of those soda bottle traps for a few local waterways around here, but I think it might be getting too cold for that sort of thing.
>>
>>2863219
I caught the female in a mesh trap and caught the male with a tiny scud pattern wet fly, I suspect that this might account for some of the behavior difference. I've also had to give up my dream of having Palaemonetes kadiakensis in the tank, not only did I fail to collect any, but while I knew any shrimplets would be toast (and had planned a separate culture tank to have a colony and grow out adults), but the male killed a crayfish I'd put in there to help with the food that they were missing, and that was almost a third of his body length. He broke off both claws, ate those, and then ripped him in half at the throax/tail jucture before eating both of those pieces. Any 2 inch long shrimp are toast, guaranteed. I might culture them as feeders, someday, but I'll have to make the culture tank a showcase tank on it's own if I want to enjoy the shrimp as anything other than fodder for these little pike relatives.

I'm still catching orange spots, greens, blue gills, and bullheads in my minnow trap, I caught the male mudminnow less than a month ago, I suspect that they're still there to catch, I just haven't lucked into one since, and it's freezing hard every night here. If I bring the cast net, I'm also getting stonerollers, large mouth fingerlings, crappie fingerlings, and creek chubs. Go out and collect.

I know this creek has banded killifish (I've seen them dead and frozen into the ice), tadpole madtoms, northern redbellied dace, and northern pike (though I've never seen those later than July), but since I've started collecting I've not found any individuals of these other species.
>>
File: dZn26jZ.jpg (130 KB, 1000x750)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>2863191
I got a bunch of new baby pygmies today, and my otos and older pygmies are very interested.
>>
File: stumptown scud.jpg (121 KB, 850x567)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>2863230
Wow it sounds like you've done your research. I haven't really look into what kind of native fish species are around here near Portland, probably nothing that great. I do see some type of small minnow or something similar in the waterways I was talking about though, I might have to make a trap and put it out because it hasn't started freezing yet, but by Thanksgiving it probably will be freezing at night. Other places in Oregon are much colder, but we are well below 500ft elevation here. Fishing is very popular here but I haven't heard of anyone keeping the fish they catch in an aquarium, lots of different bass and trout though, probably other species as well.
We have three known species of freshwater shrimp here, but they all look very similar and are very tiny and kind of dull, so I probably wouldn't bother with them unless I wanted to do a culture tank like you are talking about.
I've seem crayfish in one river about 150 miles from where I'm at right now. We used to try and catch them when I was a kid, always freaked me out how they would swim backwards away from us. I only ever caught one or two because I didn't want to get pinched. We called them "crawdads" or "crawdaddies", at least my grandpa did.
>>
>>2863244
I've been thinking about grabbing some crayfish from around molalla. There's tones of them in the river that I get my rock from.
>>
>>2863281
From the Mollala River? Closest water way to me is Fanno Creek, kind of a shitty creek, lots of assholes throw trash in it. Kind of nice in some parts though, minus the bums.
>playing disc golf with cousin for first time
>teach him how to throw disc
>throws very wrong, lands in "wild" outside of park
>searching along creek for disc
>hear some dude yell out
>HEY GET OUT OF MY HOUSE
>grab the disc
>book it out of there
Usually freezes over in the winter.
>>
>>2863244
Those are gammarus shrimp, which aren't true decapods. They don't have much value except as live foods, though they swim in an amusing manner. The Palaemonetes shrimp I was talking about are also call Mississippi Grass Shrimp, and they are a true decapod shrimp much like a ghost shrimp, except they get just a little less than twice the size, and they are a cold water hardy species native to the Mississippi river basin (including where I live in Minnesota). They are much hardier than ghost shrimp, but like ghost shrimp, they have a naupli and platonic larvae stage, so they aren't as easy to breed as Cardinia or Neocardinia.

I do all my collecting on my family farm, I had kept 5 bluegills in a 65 gallon once upon a time, but they got too big (10 inches each), so I put them back where I had collected them from and tore down the tank. It broke before I could think of the next tank I wanted to setup, so I went almost a decade without a tank. This February, I did some reading on Umbra limi after this thread pointed me to NANFA, when I asked some questions about some Chrosomus eos I found at a bait shop when ice fishing (baitshop name was "Rainbows", they did great on Walleyes). I decided I was going to collect and keep some, but it took me until September to collect my first mudminnow despite running a fish trap and cast net basically from mid May on. FWIW, I didn't collect anything but crayfish and bullheads in my trap until I switched from hotdogs and dogfood as bait to a mostly white wax paper fast food cup, I've been collecting up to a dozen sunfish a day and have collected the one Mudminnow since I made that switch.

I wouldn't mind some Chrosomus eos or a Noturus gyrinus, but if I want to get a quintent of redbelly dace, I'd probably have to ditch the Orange Spots to keep the stocking levels in check. I had been thinking about darters, but I'm now convinced that the big Umbra male would eat them.
>>
>>2863282
We have the same problem with the Chehalis, Newaukum, and Skookumchuck rivers here in Washington. The banks are littered with homeless freaks who dump all of their trash, metals, and fecal waste into the rivers so they look nasty. Maybe if they were the kind of people to give a shit about the environment in the first place, they wouldn't have to live in a dumpy river camp.
>>
>>2863298
About once a year, we have a "Clean up <name> Creek" where a bunch of people get together and clear out trash and natural debris from the various waterways. Only problem is that they have to do it every year. If they didn't, they would all get clogged with shit. I know the people who are littering are people from out of state because littering isn't one of our values here. But assholes from places like California don't give two shits about throwing cigarette butts or even whole bags of trash somewhere in public. Pisses me off so bad. My little bro came up to visit once from California and we were going to see our mom. He was smoking on the way over there and threw his butt out the window when he was done. I chewed him out for it, then when we got to our mom's house, I snitched on him. She shamed the fuck out of him and I never once saw him litter again up here. But about a year or so later, I went to visit him and my other brother down south, both didn't give a shit about throwing their butts, receipts, cans, whatever down on the ground outside. Assholes!
>>
>>2863282
Yea molalla river. Only a few assholes, but generally the water is clean. At one point though some asshole came in and speared a bunch of fish, then just dumped them.

I'm thinking about grabbing a bag of duckweed tomorrow if the water isn't to high. Last I saw there was a metric fuckton of this tiny leafed kind there.
>>
>>2863289
Interesting info. I've never seem gammarus shrimp for sale, but I did get one randomly with some plants I think. It lived for a while, but I lost track of it, I am sure one of my fish ate it.
How big of a trap did you have? Did you make it or buy it? Guys that do crabbing around here say the best bait is rotting chicken-on-the-bone, so maybe if you try something like that you might catch some other type of fish.
A redbely dace tank would look great. We have some really nice fish in our country and I think most fishkeepers don't even pay any attention to them.
>>
File: 20180501_122340.jpg (2.4 MB, 4032x2268)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB JPG
>>2862990
Been trying to do everything according to protocol with no luck. He seems happy enough, even if he randomly dies from this I know he wasn't suffering in the long term
>>2863003
Yeah, varied, but all dry. He is a voracious eater hence why he went after the wafer. Should I pick up some frozen bloodworms?
>>2863096
If I didnt feed him he would probably starve to death, I fasted him for 4 days with no change
Pic is him after a month of having him, he used to be that bright blue all over his body but not anymore
>>
File: pineconing betta.jpg (47 KB, 1280x720)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2863308
Comparing the two pictures, he doesn't really seem to be pineconing, but more swollen. Have you treated for parasites? Can you get a pic of him from above like this pic?
>>
File: Sketch7310335.png (2.04 MB, 2112x1584)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB PNG
>>2863308
Yeah once hes going. It goes quit fast. Color always changes. I had a brown goldfish who turned prurple and then fully gold within 2year.
>>
File: blackberries.webm (965 KB, 480x480)
965 KB
965 KB WEBM
>>
>>2863336
voidspawn
>>
>>2863307
I bought the trap from a baitshop, it's the classic split barrel with two inverted cone ends, about 18 inches long, it was like $15. I tried letting meat get real nasty, but the only thing that likes nasty meat is crayfish.

If you want more gamarus, just find a clump of dead leaves on the bottom and take them as a clump. Then when you're home, reorient them like a book and suspend them edges down over a collection vessel, as the clump dries they'Lloyd migrate to the edges and eventually drop down into your jar or whatever. As detritivores, they are really easy to culture and fish love to eat them.
>>
>>2863144
>tanks with built in overflows are the future for manufacturers to maximize profits.
ftfy

Built-in anything is pretty shitty long-term in the hobby. HOB isn't ideal for all scenarios but at least you're not stuck with it if you do want to change things up.
>>
10 gallon planted
2 hummingbird tetras
2 stone catfish
6 cherry shrimp (currently arriving by mail)
What should be my centerpiece fish?
>>
>>2863467
Or is that too many and should I leave my nano as it is once I get my shrimp? I don’t wanna overcrowd the place.
>>
>>2863467
>>2863469
those are not the schools those fish need. add to the tetras and catfish, they'll be a lot happier that way
>>
>>2863467
I got Cherry Shrimp from an ebay seller. He threw in some Java moss and they all arrived fine. I'm surprised at how resilient these little guys are when being transported. As for a biological footprint, they hardly have any.
>>
>>2863537
Alright, I'll get more as soon as my local aquarium ships them, I bought the last ones. How will their behavior change once I add more? They are really active and like exploring right now.
>>2863539
Nice. I'm kinda nervous about buying actual fish online but snails and shrimp seem to be more resilient.
>>
>>2863546
Tetras need groups of six or more ideally

They're very interactive with each other in larger groups.

More disease resistant too.
Much less stressed
>>
>>2863550
The tank is only 10 gallons and I already have two other bottom dwelling fish and I have my shrimp coming. Maybe I should return them, I don't wanna make them sick and have them all compete for space in one section of the tank. Think I fucked up
>>
>>2863553
my 10gallon has been "overstocked" for years. if you have a lot of plants it's fine. better for the fish to be crowded but feel happy in a group than have tons of room but be stressed that they feel exposed to predators
>>
>>2863550
I only have 4 :0
>>
>>2863557
I only had 4 aswell. They acted like a lill mob gang. They did pick on one terra more then the other three. Luckely there where other fish they could keep busy with. Like stealing pleco waffers. Then again i also had only three corys all diffrent kind and they tagged allong pretty well. But i would never make the same mistake again even knowing it worked out before..
>>
>>2863557
4 is better than 2, just remember than any size is better than 2. While 6 is what most people recommend as the minimum for a schooling fish, my observations show that they won't start schooling in tighter groups without at least 9-12.
>>
File: 20181107_135348.jpg (1.65 MB, 2268x1905)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>2863312
Hows this? He looks 20x more ballooned when you look at his belly
>>
>>2861178
Just say you'll take care of all of it other than actually buying the tank. Essentially tell them you'll buy everything else
>>
>>2863681
awe your poor boy
>>
>>2863620
yeah I had 8 but they slowly anhero'd one by one since getting harrassed by my betta hes a vicious lil nigga
>>
10 gallon tank, I have 6 neon tetras and 3 corydoras. Do you guys have any recommendations for new fish?
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.7 MB, 1088x814)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB PNG
Hello, I've had this anubias for a few years now and it seems to be doing fine, except for this. The other anubias in my tank do it as well, where the roots extend far downward. It's still rooted and my fish really enjoy weaving around the roots, but is the plant getting proper nutrition like this? Or is it a sign it needs to be buried more? I have a full inch of substrate.
>>
>>2863780
more cories. they prefer large groups and are much more fun to watch that way.
>>
>>2863312
>>2863681
he has dropsy. it is not curable.
i had a betta with dropsy once and the best i could do is stave it off by adding salt to the tank, but really you're just delaying the inevitable and forcing it to sit through more pain, if fish feel true pain.
the best thing to do would be to get some clove oil and humanely euthanize it.
>>
>>2863798
I dont wanna put him down yet, he is still so lively. It's not impacting him to the point where he is showing other symptoms besides the swelling
>>
>>2863861
you should get the clove oil though just for the future when he starts to degrade. it's very cheap and when mixed with the tank water in a cup it will just put them to sleep and make them eventually stop breathing if left alone. it's the most peaceful way to euthanize fish
>>
>>2863793
How many more would you recommend? And do the types of cories matter? I don't want to get a pretty one or a panda cory and have the others discriminate against it or beat it up.
>>
If I have snails in my tank, will I be able to have crustaceans? Or are gastropods just hardier against (possible) copper?
>>
File: 20181107_191232.jpg (1.42 MB, 2560x1440)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
>>2863307
My lily pad bulb finally put up two shoots. I had this growing out in a fishbowl on my patio this summer, and it was doing great, until something tipped it over, breaking the bowl, and I didn't notice until it was completely dry. It had limped along in a 5 gallon pail, but hadn't put up any new growth, and when I scaped the tank, the last sad, damaged pads died, and I was worried it might not come back. So I'm very happy to see this growth.

Anyone else keep natives?
>>
>>2863890
what kind of corydoras do you have right now?
>>
>>2863902
Not sure, I think they're just generic so I'd have to find them. They're just brownish without fancy markings
>>
File: 20181107_191417.jpg (1.05 MB, 2560x1440)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>2863897
And here's a potato pic of the orange spot female under ugly florescent light. Her face and gill plates are actually silver and blue, the dark spots at the "ear" is actually a nice orange, and her bars are a good black, but this light is not at all flattering. I didn't even realize the male was in his nuptial coloration until I did a water change while the sun was still out a while back.
>>
>>2863905
where did you get them? did they have a name on the tag other than just 'corydoras'? pic would help
>>
File: IMG_2227.jpg (1.28 MB, 4032x3024)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
Can someone tell me what's happening to my Honey Gourami? He's slowly turning black on his bottom.
>>
>>2863920
he wants to fucc
>>
>>2863920
normal mating colors
he wants the fuck
>>
>>2863908
I got them from a generic pet store, "Pet Supermarket." Upon further investigation they look most similar to the "Corydoras filamentosus"
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=1066
>>
File: fish 3.jpg (157 KB, 1280x960)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>2863897
>>2863906
I've got an adolescent bluegill that I'll probably throw back when it gets too big. Nothing special. Makes me want to get something more reasonably sized in the same family, preferably a Florida native.
>>
File: bloody-mary.jpg (196 KB, 1500x1000)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
Hey guys. I'm the "my cherry shrimp keep dying" anon from the last thread.
Lost one cherry since then. They might be doing better.... at least I hope. Got "Salty Shrimp" remineralizer. I think I might have copper pipes that are doing it.

Going forward, I will be doing RO/Distilled water that has minerals added to it. These little things aren't as tough as the internet makes them out to be!
>>
>>2863941
if that's the case they should be okay in a mixed species group so long as you avoid pygmy/dwarf varieties or emerald cories, which get pretty big.

10 gallon isn't ideal for a big school of non-dwarf cories, but at LEAST 6 should be together because they are very social fish and their behavior changes dramatically.
>>
>>2863948
That's really cool my dude, I would love to have some native species only tanks.
>>
File: Lampeye-Killifish-2.jpg (47 KB, 662x515)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
Anyone keep Norman's Lampeyes? Do they display interesting behavior? Trying to decide if I want to get some of them (never kept before) or some Celestial Pearl Danio (kept for a long time, love how they interact with each other and me)
>>
File: red-spotted sunfinsh.jpg (646 KB, 2048x1536)
646 KB
646 KB JPG
>>2863948
Florida has Elassoma, which are very aquarium friendly, but only kinda sorta sunfish. If you want a true Lepomis, Lepomis miniatus is a reasonably sized Florida native, and has exceptional nuptial coloration.

I think your guys also get Lepomis humilus like I'm keeping, but I'm not sure.
>>
Any ideas for a fun fish to grow out in my 5000 gallon pond next summer? It freezes over in the winter but it is overrun with goldfish because they breed like mad. I was thinking of throwing something like a group of peacock bass into the pond to help with my goldfish problem and make me some money when I sell them 5 months later. Maybe a group of Aristochromis christyi would be another fun choice. Either that or I chuck an albino channel catfish in there that I can leave in over the winter.
>>
>>2863950
So 6 neon tetras and 6 corydoras could populate a 10 gallon tank? I know there's the 1 small fish per gallon rule, and I don't want to risk harming their well-being by overpopulating. Pic related is my tank, it isn't finally setup just yet in terms of layout.
>>
>>2863950
>avoid pygmy/dwarf varieties
I think you mean choose pygmy/dwarf varieties
>>
>>2863994
I was looking at trying to hunt down some of the prettier Elassoma species or a bluespotted sunfish (pic), but my problem is that I don't even know how to begin tracking them down. There are so many ponds, rivers, and lakes in my central Florida area that even if I scan around the right environments I figure there's a good chance that I just pick a bad time/place.
>>
>>2864003
The first step, honestly, is to try. Find a sweetwater creek with lots of vegetative matter and see what you get. Orange spotted sunfish weren't even on my radar until I was finding them in my trap.

I was hoping to find my Umbra easier to collect, but in the end it was just a matter of persistance, and I've managed to find a pair despite apparent local scarcity.
>>
File: Enneacanthus-chaetodon.png (646 KB, 1300x731)
646 KB
646 KB PNG
>>2864003
Actually, all of the Enneacanthus species are winsome bastards. How are they not bred commercially for the pet trade? Look at this fucker:

So good looking.
>>
>>2864018
Yeah, I figure as much. It's a bit discouraging but I'm sure my attitude will change if I end up scoring something interesting, even if I didn't set out on whatever it may be.

>>2864020
I'm fairly certain it's illegal to sell natives regardless if they're wild caught or bred in captivity, but I suppose that wouldn't explain why they don't show up in aquarium trade outside of the US.
>>
>>2863996
yeah go for it
>>
>>2864023
Okay, I'll report back with results in a week or so when I go back to the store. Thanks for the help anon(s)
>>
>>2864032
acclimate, dechlorinate and have added bacteria or cycled tank
>>
>>2864035
My tank already supports 9 fish, would I really have to do all that again when adding 3 new fish?
>>
>>2863681
RIP ;_;
>>
>>2863787
I think it is fine, plants get nutrients from their roots and it seems to think it needs many so I'm sure it is OK. I have on like this but with only 1/4 as many roots like this, but the roots extend maybe 6 inches down from a piece of driftwood to the substrate.
>>
File: cu test kit.jpg (19 KB, 425x425)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>2863949
Only one way to be sure.
>>
>>2863995
I hear Pelvicachromis sp. do well in ponds, maybe check those out.
>>
>>2864036
you need to have dechlorinated water every water change and have the water be the same temperature as the tank or close to it

if it is already cycled you don't need to add bacteria

test your water a lot
>>
>>2864044
I do 20-25% water changes every week, but just with tap water. Is that alright?
>>
>>2864045
You have city water with chlorine in it?
>>
>>2864049
I don't think so, I didn't think drinking water had chlorine in it. When I cycled my tank the chlorine had disappeared over time, I didn't think chlorine could be re-added via tap water. Do most public water sources contain chlorine?
>>
>>2864050
You need PRIME or API tap water conditioner any time you're adding that stuff.
I have some empty jugs and the night before a water change, I put my dechlorinator and then add water from the tap. It has at least 8-10 hours to reach room temperature (I'm not running a heater) then I do my water change.
>>
>>2864061
Would I have to let it sit like that? Or could I add the water directly and then add the dechlorinator?
>>
File: G224Xph.jpg (244 KB, 1000x1054)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
>>2863999
yes, that would be the best since they are the best species (pic related), but i wouldn't add pygmies to a group of regular large cories

>>2863996
1 fish per gallon isn't valid and it depends on the fish's activity level, bioload, plant number etc
>>
>>2864070
Your new water is a different temperature than your tank's so you will risk a temperature shock to your fish.
>>
>>2864071
i keep hasbrosus with orange lasers without issue. the orange lasers are probably triple the size but not really a large cory by any means.
>>
>>2864074
Okay, thanks. I didn't think it was that important but I guess it is if you go out of your way to avoid it. I'll pick up some dechlorinator when I get the 3 cories next week, thanks for the help anon.
>>2864071
So for a relatively inactive tank like mine (the post you replied to), you think 6 neon tetras and 6 corydoras would be okay?
>>
>>2864075
i didn't mean there would be an issue per se, just that they won't school properly. they need to be with cories of their same size to feel properly secure, so don't have like 2 pygmies and 3 regulars or something. i just meant that in reference to that anon's question
>>
>>2864041
man i am looking for larger fish that will cull my goldfish not some pussy ass kribensis that would be a nightmare to catch and can't eat anything but tiny goldfish fry
>>
>>2864076
that's fine but i would highly recommend adding as many plants as you can afford/like the look of. i pretty much have a jungle in my tank and have gotten away with overstocking for years so if you ever want to add to that, you should consider live plants
>>
>>
>>2864079
So live plants will increase the bioload capacity of the tank? If this because they absorb nitrites or something like that? I currently have a banana plant and some other plant, can't stock a forest just yet though because I move my tank periodically between semesters.
>>
>>2864082
yes, you still should do regular water changes but stuffing the tank with plants means you can be lazier about it (some people say they have gone years without doing WCs in planted tanks). you have to wait for the plants and gravel to be established and have enough nutrients to support it though, which takes months so definitely do regular changes until everything balances out
>>
>>2864088
I'll look into it and ask around here when I'm finally settled for a while. Thanks for the input. Out of curiosity, what are the plants in that picture of (I'm asssuming) your tank? I think they're beautiful.
>>
>>2864082
floaters might be a good plant idea for you. a nice layer of frogbit on the surface is practically a vacuum that sucks up all fish waste from the water column.
>>
>>2864089
that's just an anubias haha, i've had my tank for a long time and it's grown out a decent amount. the random stuff around it it is liverwort which is mostly dead but still hanging on so i just let it float around
>>
>>2864092
Anubias haha? Never heard of that species
>>
>>2864091
>frogbit
thanks anon, i actually really like this idea. transporting it will be a bitch and a half if i have to drain the tank, but i really like the aesthetic they give off.
>>2864092
>liverwort
nearly bought some today, but my gravel isn't deep enough for their root systems
>>
>>2864102
dad please

>>2864113
i just let my liverwort float. it did really well for awhile then abruptly turned white and started dying off. that piece is all i have left, it's been alive though sickly looking for awhile. it's pretty ugly but i don't have the heart to throw it out
>>
File: 20181108_012239-2016x1512.jpg (807 KB, 2016x1512)
807 KB
807 KB JPG
Got some new plants that my dad had left over. Can't wait to see if they flourish.

1/2
>>
>>2864154
Bacteria bloom ended, but the corys still kick up a ton of dust or something. Thinking about sticking polyester into the I. Canister to try and get it out of the water.

2/2
>>
>>2864155
Oh also I've found it to be funny that the corys have sifted the sand to the point that it went from a gradient to almost level. Had to lower the left sponge filter because they undermined it..
>>
File: Sketch8411749.png (1.57 MB, 720x1280)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB PNG
>>2857333
Anyone who can help identifying this plant. It looks like a bog plant because its partially submerged. But that could also be due to regular rain.
>>
>>2863787
they're alright, I've been reading about anubias a lot and everyone says they do best out of the substrate like this, it allows them room to grow out easily and allows them to get nutrients easily. Looks like they're happy
>>
>>2864091
Do not get frogbit if you have to move your tank at all. If the leaves get wet there's a solid chance that they'll rot and fall off, happened to mine because I moved it while I was doing a big water change. Research whatever you buy before you buy.
>>
>>2864155
>but the corys still kick up a ton of dust or something. Thinking about sticking polyester into the I.

why? it's only natural looking. I'd drop some bio coc husk chips in there in a filter media bag to make some blackwater if you want to keep the algae down long term. this is how I set up/cycle a new tank:

>tank
>sand
>wood
>canister filter
>water
>filter media bag with coco husks in tank to make blackwater darker than a beer bottle's glass
>cover tank with aluminum foil to light proof it 100%
>add a little piss every few days
>run tank like that for 3 weeks
>start planting plants that have been washed in bleach
>turn on lights for a few hrs a day
>increase light duration daily
>decrease blackwater concentration to suit the needs of the future fish
>>
File: 20181108_170013.jpg (75 KB, 610x251)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
I've noticed one of my harlequin rasboras swimming facing up in the tank but swimming fine when I got him to move, though he's just moved back to the heater and is doing it again

My first thought was swim bladder related but he has this mark on his tail as well, anyone had something similar?
>>
>get java fern mat in mail
>kinda wilted but not completely brown
>rinse entire plant with hot water before putting it in
>somehow dont realize there are several terrestrial slugs on the plant
>spend next 20 minutes grabbing drowning slugs out of my tank
How fucked am I? I got rid of the plant, I’ve never had issues with this seller before.
>>
>>2857333
im thinking of getting a 29g tank and filling it about 60% of the way with water, and setting up a small land area for a paludarium-style setup for firebelly newts (2-4) and white cloud mountain minnows (probably 10-15) with live plants in the water and on the land. what type of filtration would be best for a setup like this?
>>
>>2864359
I think that's too many minnows
>>
>>2864362
they are very small. but those numbers are not at all definite, i will add an adequate number of minnows.

anyway, would a repto-filter work?
>>
File: 20181108_121043.jpg (2.88 MB, 2826x2268)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
Moving everything to a 55g tomorrow, staying with the planted low tech motif like in my 15g. Betta still doing good, he was a little peeved that I didnt feed him on time. He keeps chasing my ghost shrimp around. Still never hurts them, though. My amano shrimp learned to stop jumping back from him when he gets close, and he will leave them alone.
>>
>>2864381
I'm thinking bigger tank, even by the gallon per inch rule this is bad
>>
>>2864242
>if the leaves get wet they'll fall off
you mean the lilypads lookin' niggas? how do they die when they get wet? aren't they in water 24/7?
>>
>>2864381
I did the math it's looking like a 50-55g setup at 60% to be certified /aq/ approved
>>
>>2864426
that's terrible
>>
File: goldfish pond.jpg (223 KB, 1200x2046)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
which one of you did this?
>>
>>2864345
The slugs would just drown and the plant mat would be fine, I don't know why you got rid of it.
>>
>>2864078
Maybe you should have said that in your original post, instead of just saying you were looking for a "fun fish to grow out", dumb ass. Put some trout or something in there.
>>
>>2864527
The floodfag.
>>
>>2864546
floodfag here wasnt me
>>
>>2864113
Liverwort doesn't have roots.
>>
What substrate are you guys using for dwarf shrimp?
>>
My blue acara has been acting weird recently and spending most of his time laying on the bottom of the tank, whenever he is swimming he has his front higher than his bottom and looks like he is struggling to keep himself up. Any ideas why this could be happening?
>>
>>2864715
Possible swim bladder disease. Give him some frozen peas that were thawed out and see if he gets better.
>>
File: cherry barb.png (191 KB, 1488x1488)
191 KB
191 KB PNG
Most of my cherry barbs swim like the fish pictured on top, but one of them swims like the fish pictured at bottom. What does this mean? The fish has been like this for a while now.
>>
>>2864242
fuck is you talkin bout nigga. you can just put some frogbit in a plastic bag with no extra water and it will survive for days. you need just 1 plantlet to survive the trip and it will colonize your tank again in a month.
>>
File: IMG_0970.jpg (1.86 MB, 3264x2448)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
The Dwarf Sag I pulled from the river has new roots and leaves forming. I also noticed a small snail swimming at the top of the tank after I put in more java fern.
>>
>>2864853
bladder snail nooooooooooooOOoOOoooOOoOo!!!!
>>
File: 20181108_181244.jpg (1.6 MB, 2560x1440)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>>2864018
My foam came in so now it's time to turn my weird standpipe into a pump station.
>>
File: 1541741938441487335725.jpg (1.73 MB, 2560x1440)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
>>2864860
It's a 8 inch tall bit of 3 inch ID PVC, smeared with silicone and dusted with black diamond, siliconed to the bottom pane of the aquarium. There's an 80l/hour fountain pump in there and eventually this will be half of the water exchange system for the refugium, but right now I don't yet have the other side set up. The foam is 3 inches thick and there's an inch of insoluble granite chicken grit on top of the foam.
>>
File: 15417423275281940954093.jpg (1.12 MB, 2560x1440)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
>>2864864
Right now I have it running into the shell of an old HOB filter with some ceramic ring media and a pop can baffle.
>>
You guys that keep native North American fish, are your tanks heated or heater free?
>>
>>2864867
heater free. it sits around 65 in the summer in my basement and 72 in the winter.
>>
>>2864869
Ah, lucky with the basement. My fishes are kept in the garage and it has two doors, both wood and very shitty. It can get damn cold in the winter and really hot in the summer. Never cold enough to see breath, but cold enough to want to put on a jacket, so all of my tanks have heaters.
>>
>>2864867
No heater, tank is in the basement, which is in the low 50s during the winter and the mid 60s during the summer I'm north of the 45th parallel.
>>
>>2864854
How do you know it'sa bladder snail? Why is that bad? Will it self reproduce?
>>
>>2864878
post a pic of it
>>
>>2864828
His swim bladder might be having issues. Are you feeding the right kind of food?
>>
>>2864887
Two types of flakes, occasionally brine shrimp and blood worms. The tank is a community tank. I think the fish has been like this for at least two months.
>>
Has anyone had any issues keeping assassin snails in a cherry shrimp tank? I got a few assassins to take care of some pond snails I had in there with my shrimpos, and I noticed a lot less adult shrimp than normal. I just read that assassin snails have a barb that they use to hunt with and I'm thinking that maybe they are picking off the shrimp. I haven't tested the water in this aquarium but I could.
>>
File: IMG_0978.jpg (1.53 MB, 3264x2448)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
>>2864881
This is the best I could do.
1/2
>>
File: IMG_0979.jpg (1.91 MB, 2448x3264)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
2/2
>>
>>2864909
>>2864911
yeah looks like a pond or bladder snail to me, rip your tank
>>
>tfw you want a Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long, but you tryin to save all your money for a birb first

Why can't I just be rich? Didn't want to do it, but I guess I'm taking that second job.
>>
>>2864914
People actually have to save for something so cheap? Shocking.
>>
People want cheap and it's sad.
>>
Hey dudes. I will be moving into a house with a large basement. I have the opportunity to set up a fish store essentially in my house. Anyone know of an auto water change and rack system how-to or has done it themselves? Thanks!
>>
>>2865054
Rack: a couple two by sixes and a bunch of cinder blocks if you want something cheap. You can just make a giant modified aquarium stand if you want to have something that looks nicer.
>>
>>2865119
I watched all of fat corey's videos and is it correct that fish tanks displace their weight on the sides so then the wood will only need to support the sides of the tank and not necessarily in the middle?
>>
Goldfish anon here. I’m looking to rehome my 4-5” comet, and asked interested parties for pics of their setups. Should I go with this tank?
>>
>>2865161
Or this tank?
>>
>>2864264
I've never seen the need to cycle a tank this way. I just add a small amount of hardy fish, do small daily water changes, use some prime bacterial colony and keep the food/waste to a minimum with a gravel vac/keeping feeding light. Also adding any filter material from already set up tanks if you can get your hands on them. I've done several tanks like this and never lost a fish, including the more delicate ones i put in after 3 weeks or so, and the tanks range from 5 months to 1.5 years old.

Can any /aqg/ anons educate me if I'm doing something wrong or what the benefits of fishless cycling are?
>>
>>2865161
>>2865163
Neither desu. Find someone with a pond, comets can get a foot long.
>>
File: NOT TO SCALE 10 rack.png (14 KB, 969x506)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>2865125
You only really need to support the edges of the tanks. If you are using 10s, you don't even have to support all of the edges. This is how I do my 10 racks. However, I always put a piece of wood down on each "shelf" because I think it looks nicer and it is somewhat more stable for both the rack and the tanks.
>>
>>2865289
Is that top down view?
>>
File: 20181109_150523-1537x1153.jpg (405 KB, 1537x1153)
405 KB
405 KB JPG
>>2865196
Idk mate. I've done all my cycles but two with tetras. After that I've always kept an extra sponge filter in a tank or two to seed other projects.
>>
>>2865196
I always do cycles with fish. I usually just buy some guppies from the store and chuck a ton of snails to clean up any left over food while the bacteria establishes. I also put in some water from my clawed frog tank which is full of zooplankton.
>>
>>2865196
fishless cycling is kind of a meme. it fails to establish diverse healthy bacterial populations and only establishes the nitrifying bacteria. it also seems to be commonly fucked up by people who think 20 ppm ammonia will make it cycle faster. not even nitrifying bacteria can live in water with high ammonia concentrations. something like 2 ppm is all you need.
>>
>>2865196
I just finished cycling a tank with a betta and three Cory's, using just prime and regular significant water changes to keep the ammonia from getting too high for my prime dosage. Everybody survived just fine
>>
>>2865339
Yes it is. But it isn't to scale, just to give you an idea.
>>
>>2865479
>>2865503
I think if you pay attention to your water parameters every single day then you won't have any problems doing a fish-in cycle.
>>
>>2865202
this
>>
OP couldn't be bothered, but here's the new thread.
>>2865115
>>2865115
>>2865115

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.