[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: download.jpg (83 KB, 645x380)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
I'm about to buy sheep and live in an area with high coyote presence. Can these be adequate at killing or fending off coyotes if I have two in neutered male Komondors?
>>
Un-neutered*
>>
File: poitou.jpg (218 KB, 1200x800)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>2864135
>>2864136
Coyotes will fucking eat a dog, even shitbulls. Get a couple llamas or donkeys. Yes, gelded.
>>
why dont u go fuck yourself you small midget piece of shit
>>
>>2864135
Get a pitbull
>>
>>2864139
>just murder your sheep
>>
>>2864135
>2
i depends on how many sheep you're getting
>>2864137
my doberman used to kill coyotes, i think you overestimate how big yotes really are. although you are right about a donkey stomping them to death, 2 komondors will be fine killing yotes as well.
>>
>>2864135
These dogs are very good for this. Dreadlocks make it bite resistant and they're pretty tenacious.
>>
>>2864135
You need to get imported working stock since they've transitioned well into pet life and pet breeders won't cherish how territorial they are. I've met imported grown males. They're pretty intimidating and had no qualms about leaning over German Shepherds or squaring up to a Westernised Anatolian Shepherd.

Also be prepared for coat care since dreads don't do shit if they aren't maintained.

Got Hungarian Pulis myself. Probably gonna get a Kom. The Kom world breeder-wise here is very clandestine.
>>
File: 1526521184361.png (124 KB, 300x250)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
>>2864137
>Yes, gelded.
How lame. You take their donkey aggro superpowers with that.
>>
>>2864137
what defense mechanism does a llama have?
>>
>>2864736
they're more vigilant than a dog and coyotes are scared shitless of them.
>>
>>2864736
He hasn't seen a llama/alpaca fuck up a pack of coyotes

Get out of the city for a day or two
>>
>>2864137
https://youtube.com/watch?v=F6AR7Bu8nMw
>>
Buy a Remington Model 700BDL in .22-250 Remington and take the war to those god damn coyotes. They are the ONLY animal I kill on sight. Don’t let other city people bullshit you on how cute and cuddly they are. Good luck getting used to country life.
>>
>>2864593
Coyotes also hunt in packs. I would rather not have to take my LG to the vet every time it’s encountered a coyote, too.
>>2864661
It makes them easier for humans to handle, but it doesn’t make them hate dogs or anything that resembles them any less.
>>
>>2864755
Oh, and don’t try to exterminate coyotes like this dumbass. They literally just multiply more. It’s really why they tend to have no bag limits in any state. I’m not trying to sound pro-coyote, me and my bud have even been talking of getting into fur trapping together. It’s just that you’re literally wasting your time trying to curb coyote populations yourself.
>>
>>2864870
>i dont want to take my LG to the vet
thats what the dreds are for, or if you dont have a long haired LG get a thick leather collar.
>>2864874
>multiply more if you kill them
no, they multiply based off of food, more food = more pups they can raise. thats why their population follows rabbit population in most areas. if you kill them they will come back in time but its kind of like maintenance if you want them off your property, kill a few a year and youll be good. or do like most people and get a donkey or LG dog to keep them away.
>>
>>2864736
Biting and kicking. Donkeys and llamas are way more effective for coyotes than any dog.
>>
>>2864875
Coyotes literally howl as a form of taking roll call. If a female hears less howling one night, she will literally produce more babbies. I seriously doubt there are no bag limits on coyotes just because they eat people’s pets otherwise we would have an open season on eagles, too.
>>
>>2864891
>coyotes magically get pregnant from a lack of howling.
do you not understand basic biology?
>coyote goes into heat in winterish time
>gives birth in spring to 5ish pups
>if food is good, lots survive
>if food is poor, most die
a lack of howling wont trigger them to go into heat nor will it make them carry more babies because they wouldnt fit.
also, coyotes rarely hunt as a pack, when they do its usually when they are young. they pair bond for years. where are you getting all this bullshit?
>>
>>2864891
lol he thinks coyotes are small magical wolves
>>
File: Sarplaninac-6-670x610.jpg (118 KB, 670x610)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>2864135
>Komondors

why when you can have this majestic beast instead?
>>
>>2864755
>yote hunting
>not with 556 AR15

are you even american, commie?
>>
>>2864754
Based
>>
>>2864749
>>2864870
Are there certain breeds of llama or donkey that are better suited for herding than others?
>>
>>2864135
Just build a not-piece-of-shit fence you idiot.
>>
>>2865224
I have a lot of land and I don't want to enclose my sheep all of the time, we have a fence running the whole property but it's a fucking huge property and you can't enclose it all nor can you leave the sheep enclosed 24/7
>>
>>2865222
I thought there were a couple different breeds of llama but apparently that’s just alpacas (suri and huacaya). Supposedly alpacas will kill a yote too but I wouldn’t know. They seem to fragile.

I would say the best LG would be a retired pack animal, but it’s interesting that Poitou are not only the largest donkey but can dread up like a Komondor if left to their own devices. I wouldn’t be surprised if these lads were actually bred to BTFO wolves.
>>
>>2865222
Oh wait, you said herd, not guard.
Donkeys are alright leads (dominant animals that will follow you and will lead the herd behind them), but they don’t quite work like herding dogs. I really don’t like dogs. They’re totally unnecessary when you can get on horseback and herd your animals yourself but boomers and their kids still use them.
>>
>>2864870
Coyotes live in packs but actually hunt alone. They rarely cooperate if ever.

And besides you would ideally have 2 or 3 dogs if you're actually serious about this farm stuff. That one dog farmer shit is movie stuff.
>>
>>2865303
That’s alright but I just don’t see any advantages LG dogs have over LG llamas or donkeys. LG dogs aren’t bad, llamas and donkeys are just better.
>>
>>2864736
llama rage

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.