[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: doink-bam-bam-raw.png (432 KB, 650x496)
432 KB
432 KB PNG
How did (You) become a wrestling fan? What hooked you? A particular wrestler or angle?
>>
When I saw all the blood and violence between Kurt Angle and Shane McMahon in their match
>>
>>5189794
How was your first exposure to wrestling a PPV match?
>>
>>5189824
I was like 4/5 so I thought it was real and seeing two men beat each other a bloody pulp was very exciting to watch.
>>
>>5189830
So someone else ordered the PPV or something?
>>
Old Man Here ....

I was at a friend's house and had never even heard of pro wrestling before. I was 10. I saw Roddy Piper deal Jimmy Snuka that coconut shot and instantly was hooked.

I stayed a huge Piper mark for life.
>>
>>5189789
June 11, 2001 Raw, the steel cage match between Angle and Benoit was what made me a casual fan turned obsessed. Heyman on the mic, and Austin at ringside/guest commentating and arguing with JR
>>
>>5189789
Honestly can't remember the actual first time I saw it, but there was a video rental place at the end of my street. Used to go there every couple days & get a video of one of the early PPVs or Wrestlemanias; constantly had them on in the background as a small kid. I think WM4 alone I've probably seen more times over the course of my life than any other single video, was always my favorite then.
>>
>>5189837
I don't remember. I just remember watching it on tv. I didn't want too at first cause I thought it'd be boring like the boxing my dad watched
>>
>>5189902

Yeah same I'd rent the 80s/90s stuff from blockbuster as a kid.
>>
>>5189789
Saw brock Lesnar and kurt facing off at the end of smackdown. Literally the last 30 seconds of smackdown. Tuned in the following week and didnt miss an episode for 6 years
>>
>>5189789
My first memory of wrestling is the original nWo coming out. Just hogan, nash, and hall
>>
>>5189789
Turned on the news one day and hear a wrestler killed his wife and son then himself. I was instantly a fan
>>
>>5189920
Was the late 80's at the time, so there wasn't that wide of a selection, and rarely if ever saw anything other than WWF available. Didn't have cable in my house either. Had kind of grown out of it by around '93-94, when WWF had started getting atrociously bad; didn't get back into it until late '96-early '97. Watched heavily, including doing 2 tvs at once during the MNW, until they unmasked Kane; that shit on top of the botched invasion was just too much, had to take another couple year break after that.
>>
File: aHX5INE.gif (669 KB, 204x208)
669 KB
669 KB GIF
>>5189940
>>
File: RoadWarriors.jpg (104 KB, 1200x675)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
saw them at a pizza place on a video game or something very young, was years before we got cable that i could watch and they were part-timers by then
>>
>>5189902
I love WM4 as well, It was the same price of all the other VHS videos but it was a double VHS cassette. I love the tournament and short matches

I think I was hooked by some Hogan stuff vs. Piper
>>
>>5189789
Sting becoming the Crow.
>>
>>5189789
I vividly remember it was a December Raw 98 with heel Commissioner Michaels turning face and it had Stone Cold running riot stunnering everything that moved and seeing Kane and being absolutely hooked as a 10 year old who thought this was all a shoot.
>>
im gay so i was automatically attracted to it
>>
Survivor Series 2014 was a GOAT main event that hasn't really been matched in WWE since
>>
I'm a 1998 zoomer, my older sister watched a lot as teenager but I wasn't interested, started watching a couple of years back because of memes, then got autistically hooked and now know more about it than her.
>>
>>5189789
My first show I remember watching from start to finish was KotR98. That Hell in a Cell was a fun introduction.
Also Stone Cold was based, all my siblings and I loved him.
>>
>>5189789
I was a /tv/ kid who grew up without cable so while searching one day to watch something interesting I saw Bob Holly walk down the ramp and viciously beat DLo. I got hooked.
>>
>>5189789
I grew up watching it as a kid. I remember watching Hulk Hogan's Rock 'N' Wrestling. We had a tape with a bunch of Saturday Night Main Events on my mother had recorded for her brother that I watched a lot.

It had stuff like the Megapowers explode, Hogan screwjob with the Hebner Twins, and the first Royal Rumble.
>>
Dad showed me an episode of RAW when I was 3 or 4. Stone Cold was fucking awesome. I have been watching since.
>>
No Mercy got me into it as a kid
>>
I watched it ironically in my teens, but then I just started liking unironically after a few months
>>
Either Foley getting thrown off the Cell or Jacqueline getting her top pulled down so you could see her bolt-ons
>>
I remember having some ps1 game that had doink in it so I obviously watched before that but I can really only remember when stone cold first came around and was big.

FUCK was he cool to young kids
>>
>>5189789
Jimmy wang yang. Not even meming. I am dead serious
>>
File: BEST.png (145 KB, 360x247)
145 KB
145 KB PNG
>>
File: woo woo woo.png (510 KB, 589x623)
510 KB
510 KB PNG
I am a 26 year old boomer. I started watching when Torrie and Bork were on smackdown. I quit watching after I turned 12 because WWE was fake and gay.

When I was 23 my grandpa told me how he used to take my uncle to see midgets wrestle decades ago. I noticed a WWE house show was in down so I said fuck it and I bought the $15 tickets. I had a really fun time and branched out to the indy shitters in my local bingo halls
>>
>>5191670
>grrrr I'm muscular and tough!
Ew. Looks like a retard. Imagine thinking THIS is the guy.
>>
1995, watched wcw with my folks. was a huge fan of harlem heat, rey mysterio jr., and DDP was my fav. then NWO came along and i was hooked. i remember my older cousins thinkin the nwo was based but i hated those fuckers. chris jericho used to make me seethe on the regular too. loved the toys, the good and bad vidya, it was a good time to be a little jimmy wrestling mark.
>>
bro I got hooked when the Foreign Fanatics took on the All Americans at the Survivor Series and when Owen kicked Brets leg out from his leg, and when Luger bodyslammed Yokozuna and Carder vs Carder
>>
File: Kane.jpg (19 KB, 259x384)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>watching tele
>going through channels
>Big Dimes Machine
>leave the remote
>>
>>5189789
Bret Hart, I also hated Owen Hart during this time. The first truly memorable moment for me was Diesal beating Bob backlund in like 9 seconds for the championship.
>>
>>5189789
Randy Orton face turn
>>
watching Superstars as a kid on Saturday mornings after cartoons
>>
>>5192008
>American Gladiators
>Followed by WWE Superstars

That was a comfy alt-Sport paradise
>>
>>5192008
They did this one spot where Shaemus irish whipped Curtis Axel, Shaemus left the ring to chill on the sidelines as Axel was left to run the ropes for eternity.
>>
>>5189789
Video games like WCW/nWo and early Smackdown. The Wrestlemania games as well but those were probably trash looking back on it.
>>
>>5189789
WrestleMania 10 was the first full show I watched attentively. Had it on VHS later that year and must have watched it twenty times. I became a Bret Hart mark that year, but it was particularly the Michaels/Razor Ladder Match that made me a fan.
>>
>>5189789
I didn't have cable when I was really young so the only thing I remember seeing is WWF Superstars on sunday afternoon. Just squash matches and promos but I fell in love with it. Favorites were Jake the Snake and Ultimate Warrior (never liked Hogan much because he rarely wrestled on Superstars, you'd get a Hulk promo about his upcoming house show or ppv opponent but thats it).

Then I eventually saw that all the ppvs they talked about on tv were on video to rent and usually cheap so I'd get a stack for $5 and watch those for a week. Royal Rumble was always the best.
>>
Born in '88. Caught the tail end of the Yokozuna, Razor, Diesal, Hart years. Had a lot of the wrestling buddies. Then grew up during the Attitude Era.
>>
>>5191614
kek trying to shoehorn himself into the Attitude Era
>>
Used to watch Simpsons marathons on Fox8 every Saturday morning, RAW came on directly after
Decided to try watching it, shortly after that I noticed one of my few high school friends was a wrestling fan
>>
File: NWO.png (160 KB, 318x191)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
>>5189789
I watched because my dad was a wrestling fan. I'd occasionally watch with him and he was a huge Ric Flair fan. But I thought Flair was a bitch because he was always begging not to get hit and stuff. (I appreciate him now though)

The bait was set with Hogans heel turn, because my dad unga bunga'd out when Hogan came out and dropped the leg on Savage. He was yelling and cursing at Hogan/the TV and I was more intrigued than I'd ever been. Then when Hogan started going by Hollywood Hogan and had the black beard with blond mustache, I was fucking hooked. My dad HAAAAATED him and I thought he was cool as fuck with his bandanna and colored beard combo. He was also a bad guy and they kicked every ones ass. Hall and Nash were awesome too.

I had like 20 different NWO shirts. I eventually started watching WWF too, swapping between TNT and USA either on boring matches or commercials and stuff. WcW VS NWO revenge for N64 also helped cement my love for wrestling.
>>
File: 1529368721729.jpg (170 KB, 657x527)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>5189789
in 2007 with wcw later wwe in 2009
>>
Watched Bob Backlund live in 1962 and got hooked
>>
>>5189789
My neighbor rented mania 13 on vhs and I watched it at his house, I was kinda shocked by the amount of blood and how it stained the ring mat for the whole show
>>
>>5191567
As a Dolph fan this was GOAT. That event had to deal with a lot of injuries and nobody gave two dimes about it, and turned out to be the nest wwe match in a long long time.
>>
>>5192926
>As a Dolph fan
you have my condolences
that event made Ziggler a star, and then be became a nothing
>>
There was a huge wrestling tradition in my country, but always oriented to kids, it was more of a kids show. They drew huge amounts of money though.

When FX started airing in my country they had a dude reviewing and making like a report of wwf, ecw, wcw, i loved seeing the fights and the mature angles to a more elder audience and i was instantly hooked. I have no clue why but they aired Vengeance 2003 live on basic cable with spanish commentary and I watched it all in my small telly in my room, i could stay up late since I didn't hace school the following day. I got hooked ever since, watching that dude doing like reports of every promotion. I've been a fan ever since, and only I learned the fate of Chris Benoit and Eddie like 4 years afterwards, when i got internet access and looked up why they didnt show up anymore
>>
>>5192929
Yeah its suffering but being a dolph fan means never losing hope. One day he'll get the spot he deserves.
>>
>>5192945
I heard in El Salvador and places like that they got the ppvs for free on basic cable but like a month behind
>>
>>5192954
Might be a south american market expansion idea, i'm from argentina and i watched it for free, but i clearly remember it was live
>>
>>5189789
i don't even remember the first time i watched wrestling, i just remember that i loved it from a young age. My first vivid memory is some 1995 RAWs and the 96 rumble
>>
>>5189789
When I was a kid in like 05-06 I saw a DX segment and then I was hooked for the entire ruthless aggression era until we move and didn't have cable. I tried watching it years later but by that time everybody that I had liked was gone and the product wasn't cool anymore.

then like 2-3 years ago I was at my dad's house and I saw Kota Ibushi vs Shinsuke Nakamura for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship and I was so hooked I started watching New Japan and other non WWE productions.
>>
my dad give me WM17 on Video.
Stone Cold Vs The Rock, TLC 2, the Hardocre match

Shit was INSANE
>>
>>5191670
Jesus what a wristlett
>>
My earliest wrestling memory was the Undertaker vs. Undertaker mirror match. Blew my dumb little mind.
>>
Had a neighbor kid tell me about it, then one night my dad was flipping through the channels and I told him to stop on Monday Night Raw. This was like 1998? I think
>>
>>5189789
My friend Mikey had me play SvR 2007 with him and wrestle with his fat neighbor that was a few years older than us named Duncan. Mikey gave Duncan a shoot elbow drop so we had to stop once Duncan started crying
>>
>>5193137
>When I was a kid in like 05-06 I saw a DX segment and then I was hooked
How the FUCK did this happen?
>>
I don't remember how I originally got into wrestling but crow sting vs nwo got me back after almost 10 year lapse
>>
I Started watching when I was like 10, and John Cena vs Shawn Michaels at wm 23 and Batista vs Undertaker legit are my best memories of WWE
>>
>>5193566
Sorry
>>
Raw the night after Vengeance 2005 when I was 10. I was channel hopping and ended up on Spike TV to see Angle and Flair yelling at each other. Been watching ever since.
>>
>>5191705
Like father like son.
>>
>>5192008
Same.
>>
hogan vs earthquake by my dad. back in 2000 (when he showed me the tape) then watching shane vs kurt street fight i was hooked
>>
Started watching in around 92 at my cousins house because they had Sky cable. The Papa Shango Vs Ultimate Warrior feud where Shango makes Warrior throw up is my earliest memory.
Started watching full time in 1997 exactly a week before the first Hell in a Cell. I picked the GOAT time to start

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.