[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 37 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

>Have you ever been sexually harassed in cosplay? If so, how was it handled?
>Have you ever given up a cosplay because of harassment?
>Are there characters that are more likely to get the cosplayer harassed?

Picture related, I would like to cosplay as Ruka but am worried I will be making myself a target. Last time I crossplayed I ended up on a fetish site without my consent which I don't care to experience again or anything else similar.
>>
>>9625387
sadly no matter what you cosplay, people will use your images without your consent. They can say mean things in public and at conventions and there's not really much you can do but report it and see if the con is going to do things about it.

Personally I avoide exceptionally sexy cosplay (shows much cleavage or skin in general, skintight, notoriously sexy character) beacuse I want to limit that attention with means that are in my control. I think the types of cosplayers mentioned above are more likely to get harassed.

At the end of the day it's ok to be mad if people are touching you inappropriately, using images without persmission, etc. But if you are wearing a bikini and someone says "wow, you look really sexy!" then that can't really be construed as harassment considering the whole point of a bikini is the sex appeal...

I'm not really a prude, I love sexy cosplay but hate when people whine
>>
>>9625390
>considering the whole point of a bikini is the sex appeal...
What?
>>
>>9625390
It wasn't a sexy character or skimpy costume, I was crossplaying Double from SkullGirls, but people put my pictures on a trap fetish site without my consent. I'm worried the same thing or worse will happen if I cosplay the character in OP. (Whom also is not dressed provocatively.)
>>
>>6925404
If you got put on a fetish site for cosplaying as Double, then you either ran into the wrong dude at the wrong time. Or there's not much hope for you.... You can't really get less provacetive then a nun....
>>
Out of curiosity, how did you even find out you were posted on a trap fetish site?
>>
A couple people have grabbed my butt or spent time talking about their husbando around me, along with the usual shit like grabbing arms and chest and stuff. Usually they just get away with it because no one's really gonna crack down on some teen girl even if I say something, so I usually just start to wrap up the conversation and leave.
>>
>>9625631
Ugh that sucks dude. I know they're teens and all, but someone needs to pull them aside and tell them why that shit doesn't fly.
>>
Weird experience here; want to see if anyone else is in a similar boat.

I've done a number of cosplays that are revealing but not necessarily overly sexual (a couple Sheryl Nome outfits, Princess Kraehe, Race Queen Evangelion costumes) and never had any kind of trouble, at worst just had some randos with no idea about the characters or con making some jokes.

However, whenever I'm in a male cosplay, I have insane creeper problems. Like, I had more bad vibes men following me throughout the con and being far too pushy/attempted handsy with pictures as Reinhard from LoGH than any of the above, and this has happened for a number of my other crossplays as well. I'm very obviously female regardless of what I'm wearing so it's not a mistaken for gay thing either, I just don't get it at all. Anyone have similar scenario/explanations?

Never had any troubles with other women personally, only one tasteless/uncomfortable joke but I think it was just a legitimate failure of humor moreso than any harassment or malicious intent.
>>
>>9625766
Well, there's a lot of people speaking out against groping female or female-presenting cosplayers in the past couple of years (which is great), but not so much for guys. So, it's weirdly acceptable to grop male-looking cosplays. Pair that with the weird myth that guys just want sex all the time and it's kind become a "non-problem" to a lot of people. It sucks :P
>>
>>9625777
I mean, I'd like to be able to give enough credit to het/bi men to assume they'd be able to understand that harassing women dressed as men is as innappropriate as harassing women dressed as women, but I guess not.
>>
>>9625922
I'm confused about how this is now a problem exclusive to women when you said you were male-presenting.
do you think it's ok to grope and harass men, but women dressed as men go over the line?
>>
>>9625932
???
Idk what you're reading into this, but I'm just talking about my own experiences. Of course men getting harassed or groped is as bad as women getting harassed or groped. I don't magically transform into a man when I'm crossdressing, though, so I can only personally speak about being a woman. Cosplay community needs to do a better job shutting down harassment when they see it happening to anyone regardless what gender they are/are cosplaying, definitely.
>>
>>9625960
it was because you said you were male-presenting and blamed you being harassed on men not knowing women's boundaries.
so it seems like you were blaming the fact that you were framing being harassed while male-presenting as entirely a women's issue.
>>
>>9625403
Maybe I'm wrong but the people I know who wear bikini enjoy it partly because it can show off their figure ie looking good /sexy. Yeah it's a swimsuit, but I wear a bikini if I'm feeling hot and a tankini type thing if I'm feeling... not
>>
>>9625625
A friend whom frequented the site pointed it out to me and actually helped me get it removed.
>>
>>9625387

A man asked if I'd like to go to the bathroom with him and I just sort of said I had to go back to my friends. I handled it quite poorly. I was only about 14 at the time and I didn't know any better. I was wearing Lolita at the time to a convention and I sort of gave up on it that year, I think that was a big part of it.
>>
I was dressed as an Animal Crossing villager when I was 14. I was waiting in line for an event to open and chatting with the people on either side of me. The guy in front of me puts his cloak around me and starts groping me underneath his cloak. I shout and protest, but he doesn't stop, and the people start to think I'm doing some obnoxious weeaboo overacting shit. I eventually pull away and slap the guy, but he laughs at me and says he likes it when girls do that. It was one of the scariest things that's ever happened to me in cosplay.

Needless to say, I never wore the costume again.
>>
I was 15 and wearing a cosplay where the character was barefoot so I just wore flip flops and got some huge blisters. It was my first con but some sperg asked me if he could take pictures of my feet for his deviantart and refused due to the blisters but only realized how creepy that was as I got older.
>>
my first ever cosplay was shimakaze... my mistake

lots of people asking to take a picture with me and with grabby hands... one dude asked to smell my wrists or something
>>
I wouldn't say sexually harassed but I've had guys hug me for a creepy long time, demand a hug etc. I played it off, but if anyone would ever touch me inapropriately I'd probably be like 'wtf dude' and maybe shove them away. Idk luckily never been in that situation. I wouldn't give up on cosplay because of harassment, then again I've been bullied while wearing a cosplay in my noob stage and never worn that costume again. I guess characters that are either half naked or lewd (like shizuka from hotd, lucoa, mememe, sonico) are easy targets. Then again pervs can be into anything, like the anon above there are foot fetishists out there, and I got creeped on while wearing a full catsuit by a dude with a latex fetish.
>>
I was an 33 year old man and well into cosplaying already, I was wearing a vault dweller cosplay when fallout 4 just came out. A girl that looked around 16 to 18 runs up to me dressed in a borderlands cosplay and hugs me, squeezes my butt and places a hand on my stomach. But it was like uncomfortably lower part of my stomach. She says she loves fallout and asks if I like borderlands. I do like it, but I tell her "no" and walk away.

This shit is just as creepy for guys.
>>
>>9626411
What website was it? Asking for research purposes.
>>
>>9626411
>A friend whom frequented the site pointed it out to me

I KNOW THAT PLOT
>>
>>9626411

Are you still friends?
You know there were many other pictures aside from you on the website that your friend had no problem with and they were not by consent

maybe you should take to your "friend" about what websites they use
>>
I wore Dr. Mrs. The Monarch to Katsucon a few years back--loved the costume, still do. I didn't mind people taking photos with or of me, it was fun!

What I did mind, however, was the guy who videotaped me the whole time we both waited for the elevator, and the whole time we were on said elevator. When I finally said something, he replied, "you're asking for it with this costume". Buddy, what? I wouldn't have minded the video if he fucking asked instead of getting creep-candid shots.
>>
>>9625387

nope not at all (it might be because I'm not good looking in my cosplay)
>Have you ever given up a cosplay because of harassment?

I did have something happen to me outside a con with someone who's well known around my cosplay friends and because of that I felt like giving up on cosplay since I felt really uncomfortable when he was hanging around my friends (but he is good friends with some of them while others feels uncomfortable too)

A character wearing something revealing??
>>
>>9629604
would have stomped him and said 'you asked for it with this videotape of me without consent'
>>
>>9629674
i threatened to call the police on him for sexual harassment unless he removed the videos from his phone while i watched, also told him that if i saw him in my general area at all again the police would be called. i was upset that it happened but i also knew that to expect it because sweaty nerds love boobs--whether they're covered or not. you're bound to get a creep or two at conventions but that in no way, shape, or form means that it's okay.
>>
File: Big_Mitch.jpg (155 KB, 500x500)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
I was dressed as pic related, but I had my hood down and didn't have the mustache on so I was obviously a girl and a guy came up to me and honked my ass and laughed it off and it creeped me out.
another time I was out late and a guy offered to 'walk me to my room' and when I declined he followed me all the way up (including getting off on one floor and going up stairs to my actual floor). Luckily my friend was in the room with me because I was terrified he was going to come after me. Someone tried to open the door in the night, and I am convinced to this day that it was him
>>
>>9625387
Yup. Once, when I was in my Elite Knight armor, some broad at a Ren Faire reached up my chainmail skirt and fondled me. Another time, at a club, I was in drag, and the SAME fucking broad hugged me from behind and did the same thing. Boths times, I just said "please don't fucking do that." and shrugged it off.
>>
>>9625387
Judging by how most of the girls here hate Anzu, I would guess most are all fat girls, and fat girls don't get sexually harassed, unless it is a joke.
And if they were actually sexually harassed I bet they would actually flatter themselves. Who wants to touch fat ugly girls? Not me.
>>
File: 1485916026369.jpg (55 KB, 476x1024)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>9630986

>Woman dislike the cosplayer I worship and dream about
>The only explanation is they are jealous fatties

Ok bud
>>
>>9625387
I never been sexually harassed or at least not as hard as the other people in the thread but jeez I've meet some creeps :

I remember that when I've done a maya fey cosplay when I was underage some huge neck beard, probably 2 time wider than me, start to stare at me with a lot of intensity. I try to walk away but with okobo shoes it's hard. the dude catch me, I felt my foot getting of the ground, and he crushed my rib so fucking hard that I could breath, I though I was going to die. ( there where also a creepy french youtuber who asked me a weird shit will I was wearing this cosplay, the dude was confirmed pedo creep later)

the other time I was with my sister and a friend, respectively dressed as yandere chan, info chan and rival chan. The game just started to have a lot of fan, a lot of people have taken picture of us. A sligntly weird normal looking guy comme to us and ask a photo and a hug. my friend is embarrassed, at this moment I understand that he his a fucking creeper, say ok, so my friend and sister can runaway discretely, but he stop to hug me, rush toward my friend and k i s s h e r o n t h e c h e e k . he turn toward my sister, she step out and say no , he say that he don't know what our cosplay are but they are great and leave. I was so fucking dumb .

honestly I never had problem when I was wearing crossplay or more sexy outfit ( like the angel version of stocking ). I think that cute/loli/ """"pure""" character or basic otaku fetish have more chance to get creeped on than normal sexy stuff . Sorry for the long post and the bad english .
picture is mfw I rethink about all of this
>>
A reason why you might suffer more harassment while wearing more clothes is that a woman dressed in revealing clothes projects confidence while crossplayers and less revealing costumes might appear more vulnerable
>>
>>9630986
You've never been to the ghetto, or even left your basement, have you. I live close, and my fat friends get catcalled and harassed way more than my skinny friends. Fuck, the skinny girls might as well not even exist to them.
>>
>>9631370
This is a very good point
>>
>>9626456
Dude what. That's extreme!
>>
>>9626460
This is why you want to be trained in self-defense.
If someone did that to me at that age, I would have maimed them.
>>
>>9628904
That's a shame. It's kind of weird how people act about things like that, because... It's not like anyone's unaware that sex appeal is a big part of the thing, but that doesn't make it okay to be weird about it?
>>
>>9628904
God, Kancolle fans are weird.
>>
File: 1459901455194.jpg (68 KB, 627x938)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>9636162
...Said the seagull, to the person whose first try at Cosplay was the flagship character of Kancolle.

You really have no mercy, huh?
>>
>>9625403
>A female swimsuit that is specifically designed to show off more skin, especially around objectively sexual regions, than the much more pragmatic, less sexually-appealing swimsuits available
>HUBBA-WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Stop.
>>
>>9636165
>flagship character
I see what you did there.
>>
>>9636165
I mean, I think Shimakaze is cute and I'd want to cosplay her.
But I have a friend who is a huge kancolle weeaboo. He has 10 body pillows.
I know what the fans are like.
>>
I've cosplayed both revealing and conservative characters and I've never been sexually harassed, which is surprising given that I live in the south. I've been hoverhanded and "glomped" many times though.
>>
>>9636177
Thank.

>>9636179
Yeah, you right though.
Still, we've got to accept that Shimakaze does it to herself. She's dressed in a way designed to be sexy, so if ya cosplay her, you've got to accept and own that sex appeal and be ready to deal with any creepers who show up because of it.

To be honest, I'm starting to think there should be some kind of guild for volunteer cosplay bodyguards after reading this thread. Just get all the big dude seagulls to attend their local con to tell creepers to see themselves off... though I guess that runs the risk of just getting creepy dudes to show up from here as well.
Maybe it's a bad idea.
>>
>>9630986
no one even mentioned anzu
>>
Female here, only "purposefully" been groped by a girl.
Was in a partial fursuit, but clearly a girl. She wanted a photo, I agreed. She wrapped an arm around me and then rested her hand on my boob. It was very weird.

Was accidentally felt up by a Storm Trooper; I was mascotting, so the suit looked like a guy. We did the whole body-pat-down bit for photos and the poor guy copped a feel. He quickly retracted and apologized ooc and it was kinda funny.
>>
>>9636679
Fursuit?
I see... So you're one of THOSE?

Post pictures nerd.
>>
This happened in a convention but I wasn't in cosplay, but general cute clothes. A guy I know tried to make me sit on his lap. I was trying to break off his hands but he was so strong. I was also protesting but I did it kinda jokingly since I knew this guy and didn't know what to do. I kept kicking him and he left me alone in the end but the horrifying part no one understand what just happened, everyone was just chatting and laughing around us. I don't talk to this guy anymore but all of my friends are still friends with him.
>>
>>9636690
The reason this sort of thing still happens is because you don't assert yourself.
If that sort of thing is going on, make sure you say "No" clearly, first and foremost to make sure it's not just a misunderstanding. If that doesn't work, call for help and someone else will back you up.
Never, ever just go along with something you're uncomfortable with. If you do, you enable the bad behavior.
You should consider learning some things about self-defense as well, so you know how to protect yourself in case someone gets handsy and you can't get help. As a rule of thumb, fighting isn't about strength as much as it is about brutality. If you smash someone's nose into paste with your skull, they will let go basically every time, doesn't matter how strong they are. Learn your options, find someone you can practice with--a strong male friend with a background in martial arts can go a long way toward getting you into shape for self-defense, since you'll be practicing with someone stronger than you--and you'll be in business.

Remember, ultimately your safety is your own responsibility. While people in general will want to help, that may not always be an option, and you can't rely on the good graces of predatory people. Be ready to defend yourself, and be mentally prepared to seriously hurt someone, if you have to, in the process. You can't take your safety lightly.
>>
>>9636697
I know, I know. I was stupid for not saying no clearly. I probably would handle it better if it happened now. This was 5 years ago but it still bothers me, especially when I see this guy at conventions of on FB.
>>
>>9636701
*or on FB
>>
>>9636701
Honestly, if you didn't make it clear, there's a pretty decent chance that it was meant to be playful and he didn't even realize it was bothering you.
You've really really gotta be clear with this sort of thing.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.