[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Old one is gone
Image source:
https://magical-ecila.tumblr.com/post/151888640952/magic-ring
Resin, clay, fiber/needle crafts, jewelry, etc all welcome.
Self posting is encouraged
>>
>Old one is gone
Nope, but close to bump limit >>9554630
>>
>>9627788
And now it's saging. Is there a list of gulls on etsy somewhere?
>>
File: tool.png (460 KB, 852x475)
460 KB
460 KB PNG
I've seen this tool in pic related in several YT videos, used mainly to give sweets a crumbly/rough texture. Does any anon know its name and/or where to get it? I've found it called "七ホ針" (seventh hand) on one of them but it didn't bring any related result, just needles and staplers lol.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 750x1139)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>9629628
It's used for polymer clay, and I actually got mine in a clay tool kit from Aliexpress. They're called "wire brushes" or "Wire pokers" and they're cheaper online. You can probably find some at your local craft store
>>
>>9629635
Thank you anon
>>
>>9628598
Don't give in!

>>9629628
You could probably also use the the bendy stems attached to a bouquet of miniature flowers for the same effect.

>>9628601
A small and possibly outdated list.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/teams/29727/gala-gothic-and-lolita-anonymous
>>
File: Capture.png (1.04 MB, 939x604)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
This artist says that she only uses paint, but I was wondering if this would sort of thing would be viable with silicone decoden whipped cream techniques. Think it could work?
>>
>>9629928
for sure.
>>
>>9629928
>>9629928
I can't imagine acrylic paint with the media to make it thick enough to do this would be cheaper than silicone. Damn.
>>
How much do Lolita events generally charge to table as a vendor?
>>
I'm the anon who tried to put circle lens in resin, I was too scared to fuck up my molds so I put my lens dry in the resin, hoping the resin will have the same effect as water on the lens, needless to say, the lens where still crooked I think I will make some kind of mold of my lens lined with tissus paper to absorb the water and let it keep it's shape. Someone askek me if it was for dolls eyes, but i's just to keep a sample of them ( I read on the web that someone also did this but they didn't post pics ) I also want to do gurokawa style jewelery with them but I'm still experimenting .

I also have a few questions : a friend of mine is going to japan and she is okay to bring me some uv resin but I don't know if it is this common in art stores ( I search the padico or kiyohara brand ). I also don't know if it's legal to bring back some in your suitcase, I don't want her to get in trouble because of me.

Also it's really specific but if there is french anons here, what is the best brand of epoxy resin in store ( I tried the cléopatre brand, and the curing time and resting time is a pain in the butt ), I even saw a uv resin in big rectangular blue can but the store who sell it closed and I can't find it even on the web .
>>
>>9633754

Not French, but I ordered padico UV resin, colour dyes and some other accesories from a french store called Perles and Co. Price was average (about 15€ for the 25ml resin bottle)
>>
File: TL063_1024x1024.jpg (64 KB, 600x600)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
Does anyone know where I can find this thick UV resin on ebay or anything for a reasonable price? Or am I going to have to get it from taobao?
>>
Can you buy Daiso UV resin in American stores? I've only seen those super small tubes that's meant for adhering small charms
>>
>>9635205
Not sure about America, but I have looked in two states and I have yet to find it in Australia.
>>
>>9635205
I've seen it in a few daisos across California
>>
>>9635636
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoVDW2fjrRE&t=18s
>>
>>9635205
Yes, you can. However, it only comes in the 5g tubes.
>>
Just saw a video by miniaturesweet where she uses fire on the resin before putting it under the uv lamp? Why does she do that? Does it help curate faster or something?
>>
>>9635664
Helps to remove the air bubbles, you can also blow on them with a straw
>>
does anyone know where to get these phone cases for newer models? what do I search to get them?
>>
>>9635679
Thanks anon. I may try this then!
>>
File: IMG_20170921_112526.jpg (3.74 MB, 4048x3036)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB JPG
Got one of the items I ordered from wish! I think this was the most expensive "single" thing I purchased. I was expecting them to be a bit bigger but if anything I love the size of these bottles so I can find a use for them after they're empty. They're glass, one of them got cracked in postage but not enough for the glitter to come out. Lots of different colours and shapes so 10/10 would glitter again
>>
File: IMG_20170921_112635.jpg (2.49 MB, 3036x4048)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
Here's the listing and a show of how small and cute they are.
http://www.wish.com/c/54211cbd82b9ac68eedfdcf9
>>
File: IMG_0010.jpg (1.86 MB, 4032x3024)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
Giant weeb zippers in the works, prolly will cast in epoxy if they work.
>>
>>9635201
you can get that from miniaturesweer. just google them.
>>
>>9635201
>>9637679
heck

miniaturesweet

sorry for typos
>>
>>9637509
This is ridiculous. I love it.

What crafting groups/apps would you recommend joining? I want more crafting friends and I don't even know where to start. It would be cool to do craft swaps, too if you guys know any groups for that.
>>
>>9639228
Join the Crafty amino, and go into the chatroom within called Technical Crafters. Most of us are gulls. We always talk techniques and bounce ideas off each other.
>>
>>9635683
Idk if you're looking for a generic/knock off but in the image name: the company is "ringke" they make all the new phone models. almost ALL their cases have a charm slot if thats what you're aiming for. This is the fusion case, i use it.
>>
>>9639275
I got sick of bullshit drama and oversensitive children so I uninstalled the app
>>
>>9639341
It's for the best
>>
anbody have a tutorial on how to do dripping effect with uv resin ? I tryed but I failed miserably
>>
>>9639309
thank you so much!
I was hoping to find out how to order something like it in bulk, but for now this will do
>>
>>9639560
you need thick and thin UV resin, as you'll need to mix it so that it's thick, but will still drip. If you make sure the resins are from the same brand, it should be fine.
remember any glitter, pigment or stuff you put in it will also affect the viscosity, so play around a bit. Good luck!
>>
I said I'd post here when I had compared the different clays I've been getting, so for anyone interested, here we go:

> Wood Formo
Nice finish colour, it's something between cookie and untreated, medium colour wood. It may comb when dries and apparently doesn't do well when exposed to humidity.

> Mermaid Puffy
Your standard air dry clay. Very soft touch and easy to work with. I used padico mold oil on my mold and it got a bit too shiny. Got the cookie coloured one.

> Tamiya Kneading Master
I would say it's basically a white Mermaid Puffy. I tried both colouring it with Tamiya Clay Chroma in cookie colour and leaving it white then painting it with the Tamiya decoration powder and I liked the second one better, although I must say I added too much Clay Chroma.

> Oyumaru (used as clay)
I don't know if I was doing it wrong, but I found it extremely hard to work with even putting it back in water several times. It wouldn't get all the details from the mold.

> Sunkerukun
This one is my absolute favourite. It's certainly not easy to work with, as it is kind of wet and gets very sticky. It's also difficult to use in a mold as it will move when you're placing your clay or removing the excess. However, the result is great! I used a small amount of Tamiya D-7 for a strawberry bit piece and a bigger amount of Tamiya D-12 for a chess piece and loved how shiny and smooth they look. The pieces are flexible and resistant, and as long as you use a translucent dye, you will also keep a translucent effect in the piece (as I got in the strawberry) but it will go opaque if the tint is not translucent. Keep in mind it will shrink a bit when drying.

I still have some brown Modena clay that I haven't used yet and want to try soon!
>>
I've recently bought some uv resin and I'd like to try turning some stickers which were too big or not suited for being placed in molds into brooches. Does anyone have a tutorial or a write up on how to go about it? Is it just as simple as doming the top and then the sticky side once that's cured?
>>
File: 1457584454598.jpg (141 KB, 1023x762)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
So I'm about to try making resin charms for the first time with a kit I bought off sophie and toffee. Problem is the kit only included 2 dyes, I don't want to wait another month for dyes to ship so I was wondering of other ways to dye your resin? I heard some people using paint and others saying it's bad, and as a beginner I don't know who to believe. What's the best way to dye resin?
>>
>>9642407
Glass paints or alcohol ink. Also I like Padico resin dye
>>
>>9642439
Thank you!
>>
>>9642407
alcohol based inks will work best, generally acrylic paint won't dry properly and can make the resin not dry also. You can also use powders and glitter to colour resin, but with all of these, the more you put in, the more it will risk ruining the resin, so add a tiny bit at a time.
>>
So we have many beautiful maple trees in our yard and I want to preserve some of the leaves in resin. Do I need to prep/coat the leaves before embedding them in epoxy? The only time I'm embedded a natural object was a dried flower.
>>
>>9642330
They use epoxy and not UV resin, but Little Windows resin has done some things similar to that with resin and photos/fabric
https://www.little-windows.com/blogs/project-center/tagged/doming
>>
>>9642330
It's a lot easier with expoxy since the sticker will curl up while th UV resin is curing. You have to seal the sticker with modge podge if it's paper otherwise the resin will make the image a lot darker/transparent as if it got soaked in water.
>>
>>9642450
You're going to want to dry them out. Otherwise you risk them molding from the trapped moisture. They're leaves so you could easily just press them to dry.
>>
Is anyone else thinking of having a table at rufflecon? I hear they still have space
>>
>>9642450
>>9642488
This - press them to dry and then seal with mod podge or spray sealant, otherwise the resin might eat them.
>>
>>9642407
In a more casual way, dusty eyeshadow does the thing too
>>
>>9636496
for even $6 you got ripped off. Dollartree sells these as packs of 8 for a buck. I made a ton of potion bottle charms with them when I did my artist ally.
>>
>>9643950
Nayrt, but the anon you replied to might not live in a place with a Dollartree. I'm pretty sure there's none where I am, so maybe for that person it was a good deal?
Even if not, who cares if that anon is happy about an unexpected bonus with the item they got, good for them.
>>
>>9643950

NAYRT, but I've never seen these at my dollar tree.
>>
>>9643950
My dollar tree has really shitty glitter selection, but I can get some bar pins and other jewelry stuff there in a pinch.
>>
>>9642113

A bit late, but wanted to thank you for the mini review. I haven't heard of half this stuff and was curious about sukerukun.
>>
>>9640438
Thank you ! I will try by mixing my thick resin with uv nail polish
>>
>>9644930
You're welcome anon! Just be sure that the UV nailpolish sets at the same rate as the resin, unless you have a lamp you can keep it under for a few hours to make sure it's all cured. Regular nailpolish can be used on top of a cured piece to paint it, but shouldn't be mixed with UV resin. I haven't tried with regular air dry resin, but that might theoretically work.

Can you post the results in a pic? I'm excited to see how your work goes :)
>>
>>9643950
Thanks for the tip, I live in Australia so, dollartree is pretty far to go! By your price it would be the same cost anyway?
>>
>>9643982
Aliexpress is better bang for your buck assuming you have patience
>>
>>9647403
I do. But that's why I said "in a pinch". I also tend to trust dollar tree's earrings over aliexpress. It's probably the same shit, but I suppose these had to pass an inspection before being sold in canadia.
>>
File: sophie and toffee.jpg (357 KB, 960x960)
357 KB
357 KB JPG
Does anyone have experience with this brand of UV resin? I'm a beginner, so ease of use is a factor. If this brand isn't good, what else would you recommend?
>>
>>9647551
They just repackage random Taobao resin. Save yourself some money and buy it straight from eBay or something
>>
>>9647558
Piggybacking off of what this anon said. It's repackaged generic Chinese UV resin, and it is actually really good! It has a much better flow to it than Padico and Daiso's resins, and it's my new go-to. It smells like death while it's curing, but after it cures there is no smell.
>>
>>9647558
>>9647617
Where exactly do you suggest I buy it from? "From ebay or something" isn't really descriptive enough for me to feel safe doing it...
>>
>>9647653
Go to eBay
Search for UV resin
It's the one with the blue label. The biggest size is about $20
Sophie and Toffee literally just changes the label on it and sells it as their own
>>
>>9647653
It's seriously just every Chinese UV resin listing. There's not a brand. It's just UV resin. I bought it from an eBay seller named trailblazer001*2009 if you are seriously so damn afraid of buying something online.
>>
File: 20171004_144633.jpg (1.97 MB, 2880x2160)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
If I'm casting little 3d spiders into gem molds, then give them colored backgrounds, do I need to do 3 layers or just 2? Like
1. a thin clear layer
2. another clear layer and put the spider on. Wait until it's tacky and ad glitter
3. Colored layer

Or can I do something like with the stickers and do
1. Thick clear layer, wait until the resin is thick and the spider will stay where I put it and add spider and glitter.
2. Add colored layer.

Sorry for being so new, this is my first time doing resin.
>>
File: 20171004_144655.jpg (1.7 MB, 2880x2160)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>>9650132
Also will these be too small to cure right?
>>
>>9650144
Even a drop of resin will cure if you did everything else correctly
>>
File: 20171008_140530.jpg (1.7 MB, 2880x2160)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
They came out okay for a first try. I think I'm hooked!
>>
>>9650132
Try both, learn, post results and contribute to threads.
:)
>>
>>9650144
Also the size isnt an issue, but if the resin is too opaque coloured, uv resin wont cure right in those solid colour molds unless you do it in layers.
>>
>>9650132
I haven't been able to find some good gemstone trays like that, where did you find yous? It's adorable.
>>
>>9653813
they were in the chocolate section asy hobby lobby, but they stuck badly and it's hard to see the facets. Probably user error though. I only got one out and that part of the mold broke.
>>
>>9654210
Nah, the kind of plastic usually used in chocolate moulds is usually trouble. Use silicone molds for best results.
>>
>>9654300
Yeah the ones I did in silicone were easy to pop out. The jewels are super shallow too so I don't think I'd recommend them.
>>
>>9651696
>>9650144
Thin sections of epoxy can pose a problem if not enough heat is generated during curing. You can use a heat gun over the resin while it's curing or keeping both bottles in hot water baths before mixing and pouring to avoid uncured thin patches
>>
>>9650132
Those are going to end up fusing to the mold. Consider getting some LDPE molds (The milky white ones you usually see on Etsy, they're made by vacuum forming) or silicone ones
>>
>>9654324
Thanks! For some reason I was thinking these were good too. I have some silicone pumpkin molds I'm going to try.
>>
Any seagulls have cute Halloween themed jewelry for sale? It doesn't have to get to me in time for Halloween. I just need a little more spoopy in my wardrobe.
>>
>>9633754
Do you have a pic of how it turned out?
>>
>>9659664
Eh I tried to fill some syringes with fake blood but it ended up looking too dark, to the point where it was hard to tell it was supposed to look like blood. I did successfully water down some fake blood though and it hasn't separated yet, and it's been sitting in the jar for about a month now. I don't have any Halloween themed molds so I don't plan on making anything like bats or pumpkins
>>
File: DMB2u1sU8AAXdmt.jpg (70 KB, 675x1200)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>9659664

Im so late to the Halloween party omg. Im going to have an update sometime before the end of Oct but unless you live in Canada it is very doubtful it will reach my customers before Halloween. I just hope there are people like me who like buying Halloween stuff 365 days of the year

Ill have a bunch of varying designs, not just this one. I just havent taken any photos of the others.

>https://twitter.com/jellyultra
>https://www.instagram.com/jelly_ultra
>>
Has anyone tried the epoxy resin from miniature sweet? I've been thinking of trying some Asian epoxy resins soon. Although I like amazing clear cast compared to others I've tried, there are still things I don't love about it.
>>
>>9661500
It's literally just the 1:3 resin you can get on taobao
>>
>>9661562
Thats fine but how would you compare the asian epoxy resins to north american ones? Any reviews?
>>
>>9661562
Ive been in these threads for awhile and I thought no one could order "dangerous' materials through taobao and most people recommended buying that shit through MS?
>>
>>9660570
nayrt, but I seriously love your designs! I'd buy those in a heart beat (and any honey/bee designs if you decide to make more in the future)
>>
File: H1.png (2.6 MB, 1139x1733)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB PNG
>>9662432

Aww anon! Thank you so much it means a lot. <3

For the honeybee designs I'm going to have regular releases for it so if you are interested be on the look out! Im planning on having a honey release before the end of October. And then after that I'm hoping to have about 2 releases for it a month? I'm still working out a schedule that works best for me.
>>
>>9660570
How did you do the face? Is it a decal?
>>
File: s0563024_sc7.jpg (28 KB, 380x380)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>9662612
I drew various face parts on my computer and then printed them out on acetate film (projector paper?).
>>
Work keeps eating my projects so I have to start new things for personal crafting. RIP nerf flaregun.

Think there’s a market for reskinned animatronic toys?
>>
>>9662717
Depends on what it is. I’m sure the furry crowd would jump at the stuff, and maybe others. What kind of toys, furbies?
>>
>>9662749
I’m eyeing FurReal and Little Live animatronics. Something cute and small, just to upgrade the fur a bit.

I’m skinning a lot of Hatchimals at work and, while they have a lot of space for improvement, the one-time gimmick makes them difficult to resell.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.