[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 13.png (335 KB, 424x741)
335 KB
335 KB PNG
I might be going to my first con in November (Youmacon) and I'm not sure what to expect. My friends I'm going with have all been before, but not me. Any tips, advice, etc.?
>>
-Buy a People Mover pass. They're like $5 or $6 and since you'll be bouncing between the Ren Cen and Cobo center so often, it'll save you a bit of time/warmth. It's not really a long walk between the two locations but I prefer having the convenience of a pass.
-Give yourself at least half an hour to get to anywhere you want to go. Seriously.
-You're gonna get lost in the Ren Cen
-Parking is expensive wherever you go, unless for some reason the parking meter stops reading cards, and the parking attendant asks "Did you pay at the pre-pay station earlier?" and you go "No" and she goes "Are you suuure?" cuz she really doesn't want to deal with processing payments and you go "Maybe?" and she goes "Ok great!" and lets you leave without paying. Most lots have a per-day maximum so if you leave your car in an overnight lot, you'll just pay a bunch of money when you leave. It's not too bad if you split it with roomies/friends.
-If you're staying in the Ren Cen, be prepared to wait literal hours for an elevator ride
-If you're staying in the Courtyard, be prepared for a great time because holy shit that one's so much better
-There's going to be so many people there it won't matter if you mess up, get lost, or do something embarrassing, so just have a great time!
>>
>>9636187
General rules of thumb for larger anime conventions if you wanna have fun:

>Overall
Don't hesitate to stop cosplayers for pictures. It's a compliment, not an inconvenience. If they say no then just apologize and move on, they're probably busy and you shouldn't take it personally.

>Cosplay
I highly recommend cosplaying, not to fit in but just because it's fun.
If you don't have time to make one then buy something cheap from China (Aliexpress).
If you're against cosplaying or don't wanna buy something, at least wear relevant apparel and dress nicely.

>Daytime panels
Fan panels will typically have a waiting time of 15-30 minutes, more if it's a really popular series or panel.
Official panels and major events will typically have 30 minutes to an hour or more of waiting time. Plan ahead.

>Other daytime activities
Wander around the exhibition hall. Hunt for rare deals, or just window shop. Most cosplayers with impressive builds will hang out on the showfloor as well, so it's the best place to see a lot of cool cosplay and/or take pics.

>Nighttime activities
Avoid raves with western DJs because they tend to be trashy as shit and packed with druggies. If the con has a rave with Japanese DJs then it's probably worth checking out.
Arcades are typically ghost towns after midnight if you wanna play vidya without waiting in lines.
If you can and do drink, get absolutely shitfaced around 8-9PM and wander around between late night panels and events.
Hell, wander around at night anyways. Just make sure to bring a battle buddy if you're a girl because that's when the creepers will come out of the woodwork. The craziest shit at cons happens at night and you don't wanna miss it.

If all else fails just try to chill with your friends, and always remember: Yukkuri shiteite ne!
>>
File: bad fusioni metroid.jpg (50 KB, 425x770)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
I am kind of in the same boat, except with sakuracon this spring. Is there anything I should know about this specific con? And as someone new to cosplay and generally not very experienced with making costumes, would it be bad to go for something kind of ambitious on a lower budget than I should have for the character , if I really want to cosplay her? Or will i just end up embarrassing myself, having a bad time, and ending up on cringe threads here? (not as bad as pic related obviously)
>>
Same (Ohayocon), I'll be crossplaying too so hopefully I don't end up in cringe threads
>>
Wear hella comfortable shoes. You'll be walking a lot.
>>
Considering going to Youmacon.

Is it mostly worth going to for the scene, or are the panels/events/contests etc good too?
>>
>>9639220
the panels are great and everyone is really friendly
you can avoid the hobos by buying the moverpass for the weekend and taking that the entire time
the only really negative part is the confusing stair cases in the ren cen and typically the rave is god awful
>>
>>9639455
Can confirm rave is bad

Get ready to be lost in the rencen, I was for the first 2 years I went.
>>
File: 1465932841128.png (670 KB, 1140x1061)
670 KB
670 KB PNG
>>9636187
Is it socially acceptable to ask for pics with people if they ask you? People who aren't in cosplay to be clear. It's going to be my first time and while I don't really expect pics I'm just really happy and excited about living my 12yo weeb dreams. I just want more memories since mine is horrible and I'd feel really grateful if someone asked.

Adding to that maybe tips on talking to people about interests as dumb as that sounds. I've never had anyone interested in the same series in me to talk to and I'm bad with stuttering in general. So whenever someone actually does wanna talk I get so excited and nervous I draw a complete blank and look like a "fake nerd girl." Even for stupid things like spongebob. I always think I'm going to be fine until I do it and feel like an idiot.
>>
>>9639758
Just relax.
No one is going to judge you unless you really go above and beyond to be weird. Like being nearly naked and drunk for example.
If you're really socially awkward just practice on people in the game room who are playing causal games.
>>
>>9641298
For a second I thought you were suggesting taking pics with random people while they're playing. I just saw a lot of people on youtube complaining about people wanting selfies with them. I guess maybe that's more for "famous" people then. Thanks for the advice anon.
>>
>obligatory
>>
>>9636187
Have fun at Nazi-con!!
>>
File: 1235351247904.jpg (1.76 MB, 3264x2448)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
>>9644852
Not everything you don't like it's nazi.
>>
>>9642288
>>9644852
What's wrong with Youmacon?
>>
>>9645259
Because of the last election people were able to find out that a number of staff were actual real world Nazis. Some of them were publicly posting support for Trump, that Hitler did nothing wrong, and that Jewish people all needed to be killed and deserved what happened to them in the Holocaust.

Some staff members were fired for being Nazis but there are others who still are on staff who have hitler tattoos and support white supremacist stuff.
>>
>>9645294
Where are your sources for any of this? One guy got taken off security for posting shitty opinions and memes but I'd like to know where you're hearing that people have "Hitler tattoos"
>>
>>9645432
I think they're just fibbing for the sake of causing some juicy drama, anon. Don't worry. I've only heard the news you heard about the guy taken off security.
>>
>>9639758
>Is it socially acceptable to ask for pics with people if they ask you?
Totally. It's even fine if you're not in cosplay and ask a cosplayer to pose with you. Mostly everyone goes to cons to have fun, and rarely will anyone pass up a photo-op. You'll be nervous at first but I bet you'll get the hang of it, especially if you cosplay.
>>
>>9644883

You're thinking of Shutocon
>>
File: NBwIrLf.gif (1.93 MB, 460x259)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB GIF
>>9644883
>Not everything you don't like it's nazi.
>>
>>9645446
The guy taken off security was the most helpful staff I met at Youmacon. Cannot wait for the fucking megaphone lady for the dealers room.
>>
>>9645432
Some of my friends did the investigation and raised the alarms and said there is a lot more to do but that they were ready to go to the newspaper and get Youmacon shut down if they didn’t remove the one guy. One of them was told by another person that one of the head people has an actual Nazi cross tattoo and listens to white-nationalist heavy metal bands and wears Nazi black metal clothing. But I think the investigation is on hold now until after next Youmacon because the friends of mine might have gotten free VIP passes for this year and might go just to see what else they can find about other staff members.
>>
File: YAMERO.jpg (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>9644852
>>9645294
>>9646262
lmaooo hi Steve Lin

If your shitty <200 person convention in Dearborn wasn't enough to get Youmacon shut down, do you think going to the newspaper and trying to entice them to publish hearsay is going to do anything? Getting Youmacon shut down, are you actually shitting me? Even if you were important enough to have an impact on their business, is it really worth getting rid of what is, for thousands of people in Michigan, their biggest convention of the year because of spite?

People like you are why it's hard to have an actual conversation about social issues because as soon as we do, we're lumped in with people like you who overreact and try to get things shut down because they disagree with the owners. But all of this is a moot point because you haven't shared a shred of evidence and I refuse to play the rumor game. So post screenshots or go fuck yourself.
>>
>>9646303
I don’t know who Steve is or what you are talking about. I really just came over here because I wanted to see if there was more info on the stuff happening between Stefanie and Joe and if any of that had been worked out and how things might be for next year. But when I saw this post pop up I thought I should come in and remind people that NAZIS ARE BAD because some of you idiots keep forgetting that just like my friends warned me about. Nazis aren’t just bad but neither are Nazi apologists.
>>
>>9647085
I feel sorry for you.
>>
Youma is a quality shit-show. The con itself has no real info put out in a reasonable time, so join the Facebook group. Sadly they manage to have more accurate info than the actual con page.
>>
>>9647085
Supporting Youmacon isn't being a Nazi apologist. Not believing your unsupported rumors isn't being a Nazi apologist. Again you have provided no evidence whatsoever so please take several seats until you have something substantial to back yourself up. I'm as bleeding heart, special snowflake, avocado eating, pronoun respecting, anti capitalist, democratic millennial liberal as they come and even I think you're being ridiculous with this obvious vendetta and calling everyone Nazis. If you want to incite actual change, post evidence calling out the specific people you have evidence on, and social pressure will probably force the convention to fire those people or lose business. Don't target the whole convention, staff, and attendees because of the beliefs of a few people.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.