[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: mecha.jpg (33 KB, 296x400)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
/cgl/ - Question

I've seen it a few times at cons, but is there a proper term for the cosplays of giant mechas? The cosplays wear you literally have to climb into a homemade frame to wear?
>>
Yeah, but first you need to build a fusion core.
>>
METAL GEAR?!
>>
File: w02182017_0721_6579820o.jpg (2.38 MB, 1684x2527)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB JPG
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iroU-Br6uOo
>>
>>9636652
You said it yourself, they're called mecha cosplay.
>>
>>
>>
>>9636879
I know I said that, but I was hoping for a secret knowledge of things I don't know about in cosplay. Thanks to the pictures I see just right here, there looks to be two types.

1. Those who are to scale 1/1 mech cosplays to the a human body....

2. Cosplays whose mecha suits are so large they need to be inside frames making them appear larger than the average human by far.
>>
Are you trying to make one? I can point you in the direction of some resources.
>>
>>9637316
yes please
>>
>>9637326
Clive Lee has a great illustrated guide on the basics for making a Gundam style suit

https://clivelee.deviantart.com/gallery/39535744/Mecha-Cosplay-Tutorial

Ive got some videos on my YT channel of mecha costume panels I have done that may be useful to you or point you in the right direction as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/uberfeiyenkn
>>
>>9637316
Yes, I am trying to make a Mecha outfit, with actual arduino sounds of the Gundam MS 08th foot step sounds. The kind of cosplay where I an store food, drinks, anything inside. =D
>>
Its sad people like Yana haha is considered a great cosplayer and people like this are ignored for the large part.

All she does is make crappy dresses.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (143 KB, 1280x720)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>9637814
anon, I don't believe I'm familiar with Yana haha. Maybe that might make you feel better.

At any rate, I saw this on xrobots website. Thought on making this better?
>>
>>9638263
I think he is referring to yaya han. Some people make foam mechas, some sew pretty outfits, both require skill and dedication. But lets just not bring up the way yaya presents it

And that frame looks heavy as hell. I think pvc piping with proper coupling will be a hell more comfortable
>>
>>9638299
Heavy but solid? I think its design to carry some serious extras. Like electronics.
>>
>>9638299
it seem to pretty much stem from the fact that male cosplay as a whole is underappreciated, especially by non-cosplayers
they just see a cute girl or boobs and ignore everything else or anyone else who put time and effort into perfecting a craft
>>
>>9638263
If you want to build something that is capable of supporting its own weight when you are not in the costume itself, Xrobots hulkbuster videos on youtube are a great resource. The entire build was logged on his channel in detail in over 40 videos I believe. However you'll notice he had some serious issues with mobility once the suit was complete.

If you want to build something around a 'frame' that is capable of supporting itself its going to be heavy and more cumbersome than a more traditional suit
>>
>>9638398
I saw that, I love his frame. The problem is have is that looks likes you cant twist your waist at all.... Tank controls lol.
>>
>>9638335
We can thank the males for this effect unfortunately.

And girls build mechas too! :C

>>9638398
>>9638744
I think reworking the waist to be a giant corset belt with the frame support would be great for mobility.
>>
File: WP_20160203_005.jpg (2.22 MB, 3840x2160)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB JPG
>>9638744
>>9638757
I had similar issues with waist mobility on some of my older mech suits. As >>9638757 said Ive taken to making the waist a separate foam piece that wraps around my stomach to give me better waist mobility rather than having it be attached to other parts.
>>
File: frame 1.jpg (8 KB, 193x261)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>9638856
That is a good idea and would work well on the outside, but I was more concerned about the frame moving.

As par the picture of the Xrobots frame, it doesnt look like he is able to move his waist at all when he's inside of it.
>>
>>9636671
BIPEDAL TANK?!
>>
>>9637345
>>9638398
Not the anon you replied to, but thank you

I've made a couple suits of armor but I'm super intimidated by the idea of tackling a mecha cosplay
>>
>>9639555
NANOMACHINES?
>>
>>9639653
DON'T FUCK WITH THIS SENATOR!
>>
>>9639722
AND BESIDES... THIS ISN'T MY SWORD!
>>
>>9639744
>and your OTHER sword
>>
>>9639653
>>9639722
>>9639744
>>9639746
Fuck off and talk about cosplay
>>
>>9639647
why be afraid? Cant be harder than some of the more finely detailed outfits.
>>
>>9640558
It's mostly the joint articulation. I've always been shit at balancing mobility and visual appeal in armor, so I can only assume it will be worse for mecha cosplay where the joints of the mechs don't line up exactly with human joints.

Building a frame is something that's always interested me (cause I'm short) but I can't imagine building one that's light enough for me to move.
>>
>>9641262
Im' going to go with plywood on this one, to be light enough yet durable... Lots of mistakes ahead

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.