[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I don't know who else to turn to for advice on this so I'm here.
This is my boyfriends Jacket. It was his favorite Jacket with a strong memory attached to it that made its way into the back of his closet because it was stained and dingy. When I found it I took it upon myself to restore it back to normal so that I could return it to him as a fucking hero and forever be best Girl.

Anyway I'm staying a couple nights with my grandma, who decided while I was out at work that she was going to try and surprise me by cleaning the jacket herself so I didn't have to. It was all out of love so of course I'm not upset with her, but look at this shit. This is a disaster. My entire soul dropped out of my body when I saw it.
The stains are out and the whites look nice so all I have to do it restore the stripes.

I bought Rit Dye for the color fill and so far I've taped the stripes up and sprayed the white with NeverWet. I'm hoping this will help the dye from bleeding on to the white parts but I'm nervous as fuck and not even sure if this is going to work.

Also can I even use Rit Dye as a spot thing? I keep thinking, what about when I wash it? Is it going to bleed? Can I just take the dye, dilute it in a small amount of hot water and maybe use a paint brush to carefully apply to the stripes? How can I wash it without it fucking everything up?

I'll delete the thread as soon as I get the advice I'm looking for, I'm a tad desperate here and maybe hoping for some friendly guidance. Thanks everyone.
>>
>>9640236
You need to take better photos if you want help. What the fuck am I even looking at? Why is this photo so small? Did you upload this from a flip phone from 2007?
>>
>>9640238
I'm really not sure why it's uploading small. The jacket is hanging inside out, it's just showing the bleach stains. The navy blue has bleach discoloration from whatever my grandma did to try and clean the white parts. It's a really nice limited edition Puma jacket too. ):
>>
>>9640242
kill me
>>
This is tough. I've done some dyeing projects before though anon, so I'm giving it some thought for you. I'll come back when I'm done thinking about it.
>>
>>9640248
Thank you and I love you.
>>
OP how handy are you with sewing? If you're decent you should be able to take the panels out, dye them blue (black?) and then sew them back in pretty easily.

Good luck, fingers crossed for you!
>>
>>9640293
This sounds like most logical thing to do.
>>
>>9640244
But it looks like you only have a little patch left to dye black, might go for that if you can, if not rip it apart and dye it like above anon said
>>
You cannot tape off and use dye. Dye soaks through fibers tape will only sit on the surface. There's a product called dye resist (Dharma sells it) that soaks into fiber to keep dye from spreading through that's what you want. But really anon saying take it apart is correct. Even taking it apart just to the staining and then using spray bottle with rit (cotton jacket?)
>>
>>9640236
Please don't use Rit. It's a shitty union dye (designed to work on as many different types of fabric as possible) that has extremely poor light and washfastness. Take out the stripes, like other anon suggested. What's the fiber content? If it's mostly cotton, buy professional grade fiber reactive dyes and dye them with that. They won't bleed onto the white at least.
>>
>taking one of your boyfriend's favorite things and trying to mess around with it when you have no idea what you're doing
People can't be this stupid right?
>>
>>9640236
Aww anon I feel for you
The only advice I can give, is get some stuff from thrift shops and test different methods until you find something that works, that way you can experiment without ruining his sweater
Best of luck anon.
If nothing else, if it was stained and nasty to begin with, maybe he won't be TOO upset about some fading
>>
If it makes you feel better I guarantee 90% of guys will be more appreciative of the effort than anything else, especially if it was in a bad enough state to be relegated to the back of the closet
>>
>>9640425
I'm not so sure about that anon. Even if it's stained and in the back of the closet it's not like it was unusable, but she stole it from him and started bleaching it, which has a decent shot of making it really unusable.
I'd be pretty mad if a girl I was dating just starting taking my shit
>>
File: 1481045129845.png (184 KB, 481x481)
184 KB
184 KB PNG
>>9640442
I did try to cover my ass with the extra 10%, but I suppose I see your point. I guess I'm pretty pragmatic about clothing...
>>
>>9640408
Lrn2read she didn't work on it her grandmother did.

>>9640442
Lmao cgl is this petty. Why are you guys assuming she took it without asking?

I just lurk here but I'm rooting for you, good luck bleach anon
>>
>>9640457
>I took it upon myself to restore it for him
Sounds like she took it and decided to try to surprise him with a clean jacket
I doubt he knows
>>
>>9640472
I think you are reading too much into it. Nayrt.
>>
>>9640484
For real lmao but this is a classic example of how pathetic this message board is in what type of people it attracts. Even if she did take it as a surprise thing I'm sure she was capable of spot cleaning around the sleeves. I'm sure stank Pussy monster over here just saw
>anon has bf
>mad jealousy of others ensues
>cute gesture goes wrong
>Pettiness Intensifies

Lmao grow up and learn to be happy for other people you sound miserable, even posting behind anonymous cant hide that and you certainly cant hide from yourself lmao>>9640484
>>
>>9640570
Lol this board is salty as hell today
>>
>>9640570
>Capable of spot cleaning around the sleeves
Is that why she made her own thread asking for help after she bleach stained a section and tried to use shitty dye to fix it?
>>
File: ti1v42gndzhy.png (508 KB, 600x927)
508 KB
508 KB PNG
>>9640573
You are literally proving my point. You're so Pussy pained that it blinds you from actually reading the thread. She didn't fucking do it.
>>
>>9640249

Okay so as someone mentioned, the safest thing to do is to take the stripes out, dye them, and sew them back in. Do you have the sewing skills to do that?

Also, yes, RIT is awful and you should pick up some better quality dye. I buy mine from Dharma and have been really happy with the quality. Do you know what the fabric/fiber content of the jacket is? I am praying it's 100% natural like cotton/rayon because if it's synthetic, you are in for a wild fucking ride.
>>
>>9640685

Also I forgot to mention, I'm really sorry this happened to you. My grandma's really super bleach happy, and my husband's mom took one of my antique silk haori and just casually threw it in the wash when we were staying over once as well, so I know the pain of family doing stupid shit to your clothes out of love and carelessness.
>>
>>9640570
Lmao what? I was saying that OP probably didn't steal it and bf knows about it. Are you retarded or something?
>>
>>9640685
Dharma for anything even remotely fabric/dye related foreeeeeeeeeeeeever.
>>
>>9640793
No, sorry I didn't mean to tag you twice/at the end of it. I'm actually not sure how that happened. I was calling out the other anon, I know you and I were on the same page lmao
>>
>>9640242
>Puma
Put it back in the trash.
>>
>>9640570
>anon has bf
>mad jealousy of others ensues
Not them but for real anon? Almost all girls can get a boyfriend.
Having a boyfriend isn't an achievement. He could be a dick bag, extremely ugly, super cringey, abusive.. The list goes on
Not saying that it matters, but just assuming that someone would be jealous simply over the fact that someone has a boyfriend is kinda pathetic
>>
>>9640380
>>9640396
>>9640411
>>9640685
Okay guys sorry I went MIA, I work two jobs so I got a little busy since I posted this thread, but thank you everyone!! Just the dye recommendation alone is enough to have made my post worth it. I just ordered their navy blue color and the fixative stuff mentioned, I'm very thankful!!

The jacket is 80% cotton 20% polyester
I thought about removing the stripes but I'm too nervous because of how it's taken in to the collar and cuffs. I'm pretty basic with sewing so I feel like I would absolutely ruin it if I tried. I sprayed the jacket with NeverWet which didn't take so well. I did a water test and it looks like I'd need another bottle to do another coat to get the results I was looking for. And I'm feeling optimistic now that I see there's a product to aid in dye bleeding from Dharma. (:

So back to taking the stripes out, looking at how it's sewn in, does anyone out there think it's a good idea to maybe seek a professional to take them out? Does it even look possible? I realize I'm sounding dense here.

And as for the Salty Sues of the board, I would never take something of his (or anyone's) without asking first lol. I'm not sure why anyone assumed other wise. We had a whole conversation about it and he was happy to give it to me to take care of. My grandmother is older and makes a lot of careless mistakes these days, I know she just wanted to do something caring which is why I can't be mad at her. It's just a bit of a mini disaster on my end because I know the jacket means a lot to him. And, as one anon said, it was in the back of his closet for who know's how long anyway. He's a good guy, He's not going to be upset that my 87 year old grandmother made a mistake. I bought him a new Puma Jacket that looks similar as a consolation, and this whole project I'm now emerged in is costing me about $100(jacket was $60) We're adults, we will move on. I'm just trying to do my best here, and I am sure he will see that.
>>
>>9641954

As for taking the jacket apart, it depends. How much more money are you willing to sink into this? If money's no object, take it to a VERY skilled tailor and have them look at it for possible de-and-reconstruction. That's going to be your best bet honestly.

Second bit of advice: SLOW DOWN ANON.

Please note, the following comes from a place of love and wanting you to succeed:

Something I've noticed is that you seem to be rushing a bit with this when it doesn't really seem like you know exactly what you're doing. It seemed like you weren't sure how to dye the thing, but you went ahead and bought RIT dye and started the process of prepping the jacket for dyeing. Then when told that RIT dye is awful (which it is) and where to get better stuff, you just went ahead and bought things immediately and it's kind of sending up red flags to me.

You said you bought their "navy blue color" and "fixative stuff." I'm assuming you mean their fiber reactive procion dye and soda ash, which if so, probably best.

But here's some stuff about dyeing and I'm not trying to scare you off. Dyeing is daunting but you can learn to do it and pull it off even as a newbie. Just slow down and be careful. Even if it says navy blue, that doesn't mean it's going to match the stripes. If you're planning to redye both stripes completely and as long as they both come out relatively even and some shade of navy blue, you'll be happy, that's cool. But if you're only doing one, it's likely they won't match. Different fabrics- even ones that are both stark white- take dye differently and turn out with different tones and shades and levels of saturation. I did a billion dye tests for my first project because of this to get all the different bits of fabric and lace for my dress the same shade, and I had to like three or four different dyes to do it. Granted, I was going for a specific shade of mint green which is more difficult than navy blue.

(To be continued)
>>
>>9642521

You're also going to need some uniodized salt from the grocery store, which is super cheap fortunately. I can't remember offhand how much but I think it's something like 1 cup of salt per gallon of water used in the dye bath. It's a lot of salt- it's like cgl levels of salt.

You also have to keep the fabric wet while it's being dyed.

That brings me toooo....Okay, 80% cotton, 20% poly. I'm wondering what that means. I'm hoping it means the jacket is a blend and not that that the white part is cotton and the stripes are poly, because then your procion dye isn't going to work and you're going to need idye poly and will almost certainly have to take that jacket apart.

If it's a blend, then it's not going to take dye as well as 100% cotton- I don't know how. It might not be as even or as dark depending on how the blend fibers are. If the poly is somewhere else on the jacket and the stripes are 100% cotton, you're fine. Just be prepared that it might take to the dye a little...weirdly. Polyester is a BITCH to dye.

So tell me what you want to do from here and I'll get back to you to help you out with a plan and any questions I have, info, and tips on dyeing things.
>>
>>9642521
>>9642535

not op, but a sensible craftsperson on cgl? doki doki
>>
>>9644563

There's probably quite a few of us here honestly, Doki-anon!
>>
Bitch you gonna get raped

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.