[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 11 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 14th Birthday, 4chan!

File: metro wip.jpg (1.78 MB, 4027x2161)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
So I'm entirely new to anything cosplay related but I finally started work on my Ranger/Spartan outfit from Metro Last light/reduxes for fun and some cons in the future. I have most of the big parts finally after lots of hunting(mainly for the vest) and I plan on making them look more weathered along with changing the color of most of the main cloth parts(vest, arm bands once I'm finished with them, pouches etc) to be closer in line with the ones in-game.

I was just wondering if anyone could offer some tips such as paint suggestions, weathering tips on the cloth and helmet etc. Any help would be much appreciated. I'll post a picture of the in-game for reference after this. Heres what I have so far, which makes up the bulk of it.
>>
File: 20170915212233_1.jpg (303 KB, 1600x900)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
In-game ranger
>>
File: 20170915212138_1.jpg (286 KB, 1600x900)
286 KB
286 KB JPG
heres some more normal lighting.
>>
File: 20170915212552_1.jpg (340 KB, 1600x900)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
and a bit of the helmet as well. The face plate on mine is steel while the helmet is fiberglass if that helps
>>
You need to figure out what kind of weathering you want to do, and to which piece of gear. For example, do you want to make small holes in your clothes, add battle damage to armor, dirty up the helmet?

Once people know what to help you with, you can move forward. If you're just looking for a general tutorial on how to do all kind of weathering, just you tube it, there are plenty of videos.
>>
>>9644736
Not holes really, more just getting the look in-game which is pretty dirty worn etc, helmet has tons of scratches and what not
>>
go and bash the helmet against walls and rocks, scrape it on things, etc
>>
>>9644758
For dirty, try actual dirt, but try not to use dirt from disgusting sources (a bum's piss puddle). Or alternatively, you can use a method called "tea staining". If you have some motor oil, a little good a long way.

Also, don't neglect ripping and shredding your cosplay a bit. It adds so much character. I did it with my fallout vault cosplay and it came out insanely good. All you need is a cheese grater.
>>
>>9644789
Ok awesome thank you I will have to look into those. Are there ways to lock the dirt onto it like some sort of spray by chance?
>>
If you want to get a little fade, you can soak it with a hose and then throw it on your roof or porch for a couple of days too. I know a friend of mine did that for his stuff, but keep in mind that this was in Florida so your mileage may vary on that.
>>
>>9644698
Adam Savage did a couple of videos with tested on youtube where he demonstrates weathering and talks about it. A couple of his one day build videos involve weathering
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (18 KB, 300x300)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>9644698
brown/black weatherproof shoe spray is great for aging clothes. the color isn't too dark and it doesn't stain or smell bad.

for weathering hard surfaces use different grits of sandpaper.
>>
If only there was a thread dedicated to military cosplay on this board
>>
Dirty down spray is great, otherwise, mix acrylic paint and water in spray bottles, spray on + use a dry sponge or cloth to help distribute it organically. Any knife with a serrated edge is good for ripping holes, and chalk powders make great dirt.

Look up Nuclear Snail on youtube.
>>
File: 472745308.jpg (514 KB, 1024x683)
514 KB
514 KB JPG
>>9644698
You could always go to the Ukraine and get real-world weathering/ageing. You already have the right insignia on your helmet.
>>
>>9644698
>>9644791
/fa/ used to have threads about dyeing flecktarn parkas. I remember they used 2 dylon packs in the washermachine. also for weathering, nothings better than doing it naturally but if in a hurry sandpaper works well for scratching on metals and slightly wet dirt works well for staining. I heard tea staining is a thing you can do as well but I've never tried it. gasoline and motor oil works well too.

good luck op
>>
>>9656071
[F]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.