[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: FB_IMG_1506872048939.jpg (80 KB, 960x960)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
ITT: Panel Studios
>>
I'm part of a group that does panels. We do a bunch of shit that I personally find a little cringy (ask panels) but I made a lot of friends though it so it was worth it. Feels good.
>>
How do you keep panels fresh? As a gamedev I'm starting to get invited to panels, but I'm afraid they're a little repetitive - there's only so many ways I can tell the story of how I started out and so on...
>>
I have opinions. Opinions on (primarily anime) fan panels.

>Basics for panelists
First of all, a panel is a forum for discussion. A fan panel is a forum of discussion by or between fans of a fictional work. If you're hosting a panel you have three potential goals. You're either rallying fans of a work to talk about it, educating fans and non-fans about deeper aspects of a work, or simply entertaining people. Regardless of the objective you should know what you're talking about, care about what you're talking about, and engage the audience.

Most importantly, be prepared. Don't do panels on media you haven't consumed. Do your research. Write an outline of what you're going to discuss. If it's a really information dense panel and you're by yourself, it's okay to keep notes like you're presenting to the class.

Enthusiastic panelists equate to good panels. Don't do a panel for the sake of it, only commit if you really care about the topic and have your shit together. Even if you're not a great speaker, your passion for the subject will carry the panel.

On the same note, don't submit multiple panels if it's a big con or a con that's very selective with panels. If you're doing that, you probably don't care about one or more of the panels you're submitting and may end up doing one you barely care about.

Ask questions to the audience. Ask for shows of hands on opinions. Make jokes. Make inside jokes fans will get, but remember some people might not be familiar with the subject because they're dumb and didn't read the panel description so laugh at them for being dumb.

(cont.)
>>
File: 1502971750768.png (271 KB, 676x505)
271 KB
271 KB PNG
Opinions on types of panels. There's more, but I'll just keep it to these three since they're most prevalent.

>Roleplay panels
i.e. any panel where the panelists are in character. Q&As or whatever.
Don't associate with these unless you're one of the teenage weebs who engages in them. If you're an adult, you can do better. These are lazy and often cringeworthy as a result of that laziness or the lack of charisma in the panelists.

>List panels
i.e. Watchmojo Top 10 Anime Battles.
These can be good or bad. If it's just a clipshow with minimal commentary it's obviously going to bore the audience to tears. Showing a wide range of animes means not everyone is going to have seen them all and thus they're going to be lost.

Humorous list panels are the best of the bunch, things like bad anime panels or hentai-related panels can be pretty great if you've got good wingmen and know what you're talking about. For these it's not relevant if the audience has watched them since you're just pointing out how stupid they are. Have lots of cheesy jokes at your disposal and try your best to drive the audience to madness.

>Informational panels
Foreward: never just go through a powerpoint. It's lazy as fuck and an informational panel shouldn't be a school assignment completed the night it's due.

I've got a boner for theorycrafting and discussing shit like Evangelion, so literary analysis panels are some of my favorites. If you're a hardcore fan of a series and go in-depth with it, other fans will have their almonds fully activated. If you want to present a series to a mixed audience, make sure to avoid spoilers while showing off its strengths.

When presenting information in panel form, you're not constrained to the same rules as a schoolteacher. You can spew expletives (if it's 18+), make dumb jokes, and ask ridiculous questions that would never pass in a classroom setting. You're talking to a bunch of weebs so you want to engage them as much as possible in the subject.
>>
>>9646383
What kind of panels? If they're Q&As just politely tell them to fuck off by saying "It doesn't matter how I personally started because I can assure you there's no secrets to improving besides hard work and practice."
>>
File: IMG_2191.jpg (230 KB, 800x546)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
I'm a panelist with my group and we've done the same things for years. What are some more general topics you guys would like to see panels of?
>>
>>9646429
>Roleplay panels
In-Character panels are some of the most fun shit I've ever been in, but making a good one takes SO much leg work and prep that 99% of them are shit. The ones I've worked on had mandatory rehearsals and auditions that only took actors with improv experience... I'm pretty sure the vast majority do not go to those lengths.
>>
For most people hosting the same panel at multiple cons, you're going to be presenting the same information and hearing the same questions. If you expect your audience to entertain you, you're doing it wrong.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.