[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

How trashy are fake nails actually? I hate doing my nails, it takes forever to get off the old polish and then repaint them and wait for them to dry. I just wanna go fake and say fuck it, its easier, it takes no maintenance, they don't chip, etc...
>>
>>9646588
Everything but black
>>
>>9646588
They're not trashy unless you get something like the OP pic. The really over the top fake-looking, plastic-looking ones are the trashiest.
You could also look into something like shellac or gellish for a much more natural and versatile effect.
>>
>>9646606
Are you serious? Black claws are the best
>>
File: NexGen-Nails-1.jpg (35 KB, 625x625)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Nex-gen is better for your nails than acrylics will ever be, and I highly recommend them. They come in many different colors, or if you like something more natural, you can always get the pink and white french tip look. Not trashy at all.
>>
>>9646588
Seconding the nexgen, but I've heard it's better if you have good nails to begin with. I have super brittle nails so I always get acrylic then have them put shellac on. I know it's bad for them, but damn does it look nice.
>>
>>9646828
I looked up Nexgen and it pretty much seems like gel nails-- what's the difference? It seems like both involve grinding the nail down and that can't be good for your nails.
>>
>>9646606
wrong opinion is wrong
>>
>>9646588
I think it all depends on length. Imo the pic you posted is about as responsibly long a person can go without it bordering into outrageous territory. Personally, I like coffin nails.
>>
>>9646588
My lifestyle doesn't allow for long nails, so I have a few sets that I glue on for special occasions and take off when I get home. They're not at all trashy in and of themselves; but super-long sparkly decora stuff can change that. I know 60 year old Washington bureaucrats who wear fake nails all the time.
>>
>>9646944
gel doesn't grind/sand your nails down, it just uses UV light/multiple coats
>>
>>9647034
to get the gel to stick well you have to sand your nails down a little. It doesn't look awful when they do it at first, but if you don't let the nail grow back out before you do it again, it can jack them up pretty bad.

If you don't sand your nails, the gel polish will lift away from the surface of your nail within a couple of days and you've wasted time and money getting it done.
>>
>>9647034
Every time I've gone to the salon to have it done they've roughed up my nails. I looked up tutorials online just to check and they also show using a nail file to rough up the nail to improve gel adhesion. There could be different techniques, but at least some population is applying gel nails by roughing up the nail first.
>>
File: IMG_1997.jpg (42 KB, 500x255)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>tfw you like over the top trashy gyaru nails
>>
File: elnk41rbigq7_500.jpg (52 KB, 500x282)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>9647101
same desu
>>
How is this related to cgl? Post it in the beauty thread.

Fake nails aren't inherently trashy. You control their length and style. You could also get gel nails.
>>
Why not just have normal fingernails that you are born with
>>
>>9647061
>>9647074
That's crazy! I've had gel done in TX/AZ and they've never sanded it with anything beyond an emery board for a couple seconds, it usually lasts me 3-4 weeks.

Nothing on the level of getting acrylics anyway, where they bring out the sander and demolish your nailbeds
>>
>>9647114
>>9647101
same, fuck my fingers I don't even need to use them
>>
>>9647147
That's still technically grinding down the nails. A good board will remove a layer or two of nail with each swipe, and if theyre going back and forth quickly for a few seconds, then your nails are technically roughed up.

But no, nothing as bad as acrylics.

I personally advocate the peel off base coat + gel top coat method, lasts me a few weeks and minimal chipping.

Holosexuals here?
>>
>>9648652
I'm a holosexual! No fake nails for me, though. Although I also watch Suzy (nailcareereducation) and love her.
>>
>>9649034
WOO holosexual senpai! I love Suzy too. Nail art is life.
>>
>>9648652
Another holosexual! Could never actually do anything with my nails due to work, but a girl can dream.
>>
>>9648652
Another holosexual here. I got acrylic claws a couple months ago because I've always wanted them and they make me feel fierce. They don't really hinder me from doing a lot. I think not being able to pick up my credit card from a counter is my biggest struggle.
>>
>>9649443
slide it to the edge and voila. alternatively pick it up with the pads of your fingers by "sticking" the pads of your fingers to the card.
>>
I used to have fake (acrylic) nails for like 6 months maybe, but then I went au naturel. It's so much better imo to be able to type on the keyboard with my fingertips instead of with nails going TAKA TAKA TAKA TAKA and it 'hurt' too. The only con is that my hands look less feminine, but I'd rafher have that than deal with shit like not being able to pick up cards of the floor or open a can of soda.
>>
>>9647188
Oh how I wish, but as a full time hairstylist, I feel like something would go wrong so fast with those nails
>>
>>9649958
>drinking soda period

Gross.
>>
I secretly dream to make myself some pretty gloves with only the nail showing, but instead of my nails I will put some long ass gyaru nails with a lot of deco stuff. But it will look like some shitty kawaii freddy krueger gloves.
>>
File: IMG_4113.png (654 KB, 592x472)
654 KB
654 KB PNG
I've considered acrylics in the past few days myself, just a simple almond french fade or something, but I'm too worried about destroying my natural nails because of all the care I've put into them.

But another reason is that my mother has told me that they're actually painful to get. Something about how it burns when they buff the nails and put the product on? Do people with fake nails know what she's talking about? Or did she just know some shitty nail techs? I've been watching acryllic application videos and the people never even so much as flinch when it goes on...
>>
>>9652382
that soundseither shitty nail-techs or she has very sensitive nailbeds. Or both. If they go further than buffing lightly on your natural nail, they're not very good, and if they are using an efile they need to be super careful, they shoudn't really be used on natural ails, and if they are used in one spot too long they can make a heat spike. A good nailtech will move around a lot while filing to make sure you're comfortable, but it's also important for you to speak up. Not everyone can take the same amount of filing, so communication about your limits is important.
>>
>>9652382
It should not hurt, but there can be some degree of discomfort the first couple hours of getting them done. I wouldn't call it pain, and it certainly shouldn't happen while they are applying them. It's a feeling that happens within a couple hours, but it's more just a strange sensation of 'tension'. There's no good reason to get acrylics if you naturally have nice, long nails.
>>
File: IMG_8177.jpg (52 KB, 640x640)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Fake nails aren't trashy, it's certain colors and styles that make people believe they are.
If you go for a toned down, natural looking look you will look serious.
Avoid things like:
Square nails
Obvious french tips
Too much glitter/holo/rhinestones
Bright colors (pink, white, red, anything that's easy to mismatch)

Good things are:
Round shaped nails
Matte or low pigment colors (nude, dark red, creme white, rose)
little accents or soft french tips

The best is going with a color and length that matches to all your clothing. I wear a lot of light colors so I tend to go for overall lighter nail art.

If you have a small nailbed gel tends to look better.
Also keep in mind the longer your nails the more annoying things like washing hair, contact lenses, tights, cleaning etc get.
>>
>>9652382
Gel can burn a little when it's set with UV light. Acrylics only hurt if you have a bad nail tech. They should painless when you get them put on unless the tech cuts you or something when they are filing the shape. There might be some discomfort as they harden but that goes away within a day.
>>
>>9647188
How do you not claw the shit out of your lady parts when using the restroom?
>>
>>9652545
I'd like to mention that, while it veers into tacky territory, glitter polishes were made for fake nails. The glitter polishes that look ridiculous on short nails will look spectacular on long nails. The same goes for a lot of your jelly polishes that aren't super opaque.
>>
Oh fuck, I forgot to add. Square nails. I hate them. In the U.S., a lot of salons try giving the weird square shape if you don't specify strictly otherwise. I don't like completely round, but I like my corners to have a good curve.
>>
>>9652657
how exactly are you wiping that you're worried this is a problem?
>>
>>9648652
>Holosexual
Wut
>>
>>9652657
Bidets
>>
>>9648652
Holo~

I've always had really short nails (did sports in high school) but I've been growing them out a bit (white tips actually visible) and I like how they look painted. Now I need to figure out how to properly shape them.

>peel-off base coat
I have a terrible habit of peeling of my nail polish once it separates from my nail or chips. Having a base coat like that would probably encourage me to peel it off sooner T B H.
>>
>>9646828
Those are extremely trashy looking though
>>
>>9652679
Square or squoval? I think it's possible to pull off both looks. but it's not for everyone certainly.
>>
>>9652789
>being this new

try googling it anon, may holo have mercy on your soul, and your nails.
>>
>>9656855
christine and her fanbase are annoying as fuck. you're not welcome here.
>>
>>9656855

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.