[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 46 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: OnS12.png (491 KB, 537x539)
491 KB
491 KB PNG
>OnS Vol 1, 2, 3, 5 6, 7 scans https://mega.nz/#!9PxW1IAC!W3O1fHqCC35kMI9PDV5w21C_iPDIOZEXgGlPXcrtn-U
>GosuRori scans http://chochololita.livejournal.com/#post-chochololita-1982
OnS12 is coming out soon, any thoughts on the preview? Any things in the works? Planning on any holiday themed sewing-- halloween, thanksgiving, christmas or otherwise? Talk about your current projects!
Old thread here >>9574461
>>
File: ons12ig1.jpg (49 KB, 540x960)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>9650560
More previews of outfits from OnS12. I've just finished up a really pretty babydoll style jsk in this fantastic black silk velvet. I'm working on a matching bonnet too. It'll be my halloween coord. I'm still working on my mash up OP from the OP of the last thread, but it's getting close. I also bought the most beautiful green plaid to ease the pain of missing out on Holiday Collection, so I'll try and start/finish that before Christmas, but that may be a bit optimistic.
>>
File: ons12ig2.jpg (46 KB, 540x960)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>9650565
>>
File: ons12line1.jpg (56 KB, 600x600)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>9650567
>>
File: ons12line2.jpg (66 KB, 600x800)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>9650569
>>
File: ons12line3.jpg (50 KB, 600x800)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>9650572
>>
File: ons12line4.jpg (77 KB, 600x800)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>9650573
That's all I have for now. I'll preorder it regardless, but I feel like a lot of these patterns look really same-y. I guess I'll just have to be patient and see what's actually in it.
>>
>>9650560
Who's the model in the center?
>>
>>9650581
Not sure exactly, but her IG is @raimu0726_official.
>>
where are some good fabric stores? i live in the middle of nowhere and the selection here is kinda limited to joanns, hobby lobby, etc. there are a few local places but the selection is pretty sparse at them desu.
>>
>>9650602
I've had some luck at upholstery places. They occasionally have some nice jacquard or damask leftovers, but it might only be enough for a skirt because otherwise they'd turn it into cushions or something and sell that instead.
>>
>>9650576
>>9650572

I really just like these two, might get the book for them.

On a related note, any advice for sewing lace fabric? The thing keeps bunching up under my sewing machine, I can't figure out how to get anything done. All I want to do is sew some lace around a square to make a simple veil and I can't seem to get a simple straight line going.
>>
>>9650639
Tissue paper. Slip a piece under the seam you're working on, tear away once you're finished.
>>
Has anyone here made a beret from scratch and if do would you mind sharing pics and any tips? I think I have it figured out but still, seeing other people's work would be grest.
>>
>>9650676

Awesome, I'll try that. Thanks!
>>
I’m thinking about making a cage skirt (not a hard one, something more like the h.naoto cages), any thoughts on material? I was debating premade faux leather strips, but I’m open to other ideas. Thoughts?
>>
>>9650576
I doubt this one is going to be a pattern, they'll probably include only the headpiece, as they did last issue with physical drop.
>>
>>9650847
I didn't post them all, but there's multiple photos of the dress and it does make it seem like the wa dress is going to be in it.
>>
>>9650847

I don't recognise the fabric print though, so I thought it might be an actual dress pattern. You make a good point though, guess I'll wait and see other people post whether that's a dress pattern or just the headpiece.
>>
>>9650855
I do hope they put the pattern for this one, anon! But they tend to mislead us with these pretty pics, haha
>>
>>9650576
>>9650847
>>9650855
We can almost make a Daydreaming Goldfish with this pattern.
>>
This is the only and one pattern I hoped that would be included in OnS
>>
>>9650866
Sweet god it's like the holy grail of patterns I've been looking for. Empire cut with no waist seam and a gathered bodice and full skirt.

God how I wish I knew pattern drafting.
>>
>>9651323
You can make a Frankenstein of OnS patterns to get this dress (like the bodice and sleeves of the cover dress from ONS7, a high waisted skirt from ONs1, then ruffle the front with another fabric etc.) , but it's so much trouble, it's totally not worth the time. I wish they could just release it already, geez.
>>
>>9650865

I figure that's why they included it. Meta is up to several prints with this cut now, right? Something cat, Daydreaming Goldfish, the rabbit print, and wasn't there a temari print with this cut at some point? Plus a few taobao "inspired-by" lookalikes. OnS staff probably took that to mean it's a cut that girls will like.

I really just want the cut and the instructions without the giant bow in front, then make it out of some really boring seigaiha print. Wa lolita is nice and all but so much of it is so garish. Fingers double and triple crossed it's an actual dress pattern that I can use.
>>
>>9650866
Me too! I would happily buy an entire issue just for this one pattern.

>>9651400
I've been trying to Frankenstein the shirred OP from OnS 5 with the high-waisted skirt from OnS 1 but the neckline doesn't sit right, and the back of that OP is also fully shirred so I had to wing that part. Maybe I should merge only the bust of the OnS 5 OP onto the OnS 7 OP? I want the ruffled bust to be 'open' so my bust can actually fill it out a bit, not just be a ruffle on top of a flat pattern piece.

Goddamn it just put this pattern in one of the issues please!
>>
File: ots7-008.jpg (200 KB, 744x1024)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>>9651729
Are you using the Snow White OP? I guess that could work fine! The biggest problem is the sleeve attached differently, but if you use the idea of a central panel of ONS5 OP and then merge with ONS7 you could get something nice.

Also, pic attached might be a good reference for the bottom part.

I even considered getting that horrendous Smplicity battern an modify the bust to get this dress... http://demandware.edgesuite.net/sits_pod26/dw/image/v2/AAWA_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-simplicity-product-master/default/dwd1bbb78a/images/product/8127/simplicity-dresses-pattern-8127-AV1.jpg

Anyway, I wish you success, anon!
>>
>>9648729
>>9649623
Thanks, anons! I didn't think of a satin stitch because I thought you needed an embroidery machine (?) for that. I'm still not confident I can make it look decent since I'm a fucking noob, so I'm going to just tuck the raw edges...
>>
What kind of fabric should I use that would mimic the quality of brand? I have some simple cotton dresses I’ve made for casual wear but I want to step my game up.
>>
>>9651799

Cotton twill. The better stuff sometimes has a bit of a sateen sheen to it.

....I've only been able to find various types of twill without the sheen, though. Still a step up from quilting cotton, if that helps.
>>
Are there any patterns for an OP like the modern AP ones? Like Misty Sky and Cream Cookie Collection?
>>
>>9650573
If anyone gets a pattern for this apron, this anon would love it!!!
>>
File: macaron fabric.jpg (61 KB, 570x570)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Hey gulls, so I found this cute fabric that would be nice for a simple jsk, what do you guys think about it? At first I thought it was too busy but now I'm starting to think it could have some more otome-like features.
>>
File: 1434893858288.jpg (37 KB, 448x400)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>9653084
Love the vibrant colors and cute French words alongside the pastries. I can totally envision a cute otome JSK with that.
Where is this from, anon?
>>
>>9653118
I actually found it on Etsy! The seller is nekonekofabric :)
>>
>>9653180
Thank you very much anon. Their stuffs are cute AF.
>>
>>9653084
You could probably make a simple ETC-style otome camisole dress out if it, but I wouldn't use it for lolita.
>>
So does Hobby lobby or Michael's sell ANY good kind of lace, or is it all shit?
>>
>>9653382
I’ve found nice lace at JoAnns, but it’s like 5-10 bucks a yard, you’re better off buying shit in bulk off taobao
>>
>>9653382
Yeah don't bother with big box stores. I mean, the cotton cluny lace is alright, nothing special. Try looking for specialty/locally owned fabric stores in your area. Still gonna be spendy though.
>>
>>9654096
???
>>
>>9653382
Hobby Lobby sells some pretty decent lace, anon. Not sure how you're missing it unless their stores in different parts of the country have vastly different stock? Let me see if I can gather all of my HL lace and take a pic
>>
>>9654110
My HL has decent lace, but it's so similar to what I can order off Aliexpress that I don't bother unless I need it right away. (Midwest here if that makes a difference)
>>
>>9654104
It was a troll and the video had nothing to do with ruffles. He posted it in another thread, too.
>>
>>9654177
Ah. Couldn’t tell if it was a troll or if the video was nuked for having lolita in the tags,
>>
When is the new OnS coming out?
>>
>>9655774
Nov 16th-ish is what I heard. I'm surprised the preorder isn't up yet.
>>
Does anyone else have the problem of having too many ideas, not knowing where to start and end up doing nothing? I'm currently at that phase, I have materials for 4 blouses, 2 jsks and few other fabrics I don't yet know where to use them. This is frustrating, I want to make them all now but I can't just get myself to do them.
>>
>>9656000
When this happen to me, I start doing everything at the same time. Not exactly but I start doing each step for each project I have in mind : choosing patterns, tracing them and so on... and most of the time, even before starting to sew anything I have figured out the priority of each project and know which one I'm gonna do first.
>>
File: 20171011_110412.jpg (3.25 MB, 4032x3024)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB JPG
This is probably the best lace i found at a pat catans near me. What do you gulls think? I'm using it for a headbow because I recently bought a dress that doesn't come with one. The dress is chocolate and ivory
>>
>>9656122
Looks perfectly fine for me! Go for it, anon!
>>
>>9656000
I'm just holding onto a chunk of fabric waiting for the OnS so I can make some nice patterns instead of wasting it on some basic, bland JSKs.
>>
File: 51ESNdM+a-L._SL1000_.jpg (54 KB, 252x327)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
I'm working on a costume, and hung up on how to pattern/sew the chest details in the attached picture. I have a slightly stretchy cotton/poly blend shirt, and a bunch of beige upholstry vinyl as my materials.

The only thing I know for certain is that I'm going to sew vinyl panels onto the inside of the shirt. I have the shapes of the holes themselves measured out, but am unsure which route I should take with translating them to patterns.

Current ideas are:
1. Pinning a large rectangle of vinyl into the inverse with the pattern drawn on the back, and sewing the details through it. I'd then cut off the excess vinyl and cut open the panels on front making it a straight-up reverse applique.
2. Similar to above, but doing one detail at a time with smaller pieces of vinyl.
3. Patterning the details so that the seams fold inwards and are invisible from the front. I have no idea how to do this.

I'm not totally incompetent but I don't regularly sew, so I'm really lost on what would be the best way to approach this.
>>
>>9657356
This thread is specifically for lolita, so I would suggest going into the help thread to ask. You probably have a higher likelihood of someone who's experienced with vinyl finding your post that way.
>>
Anyone have a good DIY tutorial for a lolita veil?
>>
>>9657536
What makes a veil lolita? Maybe google veil tutorial and slap some lace in it?
>>
>>9656000

Start with the simplest project that gives you the most returns, like a onepiece that you can immediately start coording and making plans to wear out once you complete it, instead of making a jsk and then needing to make a blouse in order to wear it. Or, if you already have some jsks, make the blouse that would immediately create new coords, don't make another jsk (and vice versa).

Put yourself on a "new projects" ban and don't buy anything until you've made something. Otherwise you run a risk of turning into one of those people who watch a lot of youtube tutorials and keep buying art supplies, they think they're being immersed in their hobby, but actually all they're doing is consuming other people's content, not actually creating anything.

I've been there, you just gotta pick a project and get started.
>>
>>9657624
>one of those people who watch a lot of youtube tutorials and keep buying art supplies, they think they're being immersed in their hobby, but actually all they're doing is consuming other people's content, not actually creating anything
This hit home for me. I don't watch YT tutorials and come up with projects by myself, but the majority of these projects get stuck in the "bought materials" phase and never go further than that. It's gotten to the point where I don't feel comfortable telling people I sew because they'll always ask me if I made anything I'm wearing and the answer is almost always no.
I've recently bought materials and gotten started on something that needs to be finished in November so that has priority for now, but after that I'm definitely putting myself on a buying ban and going to work through the projects I have laying around. The worst thing is, though, that a few of these were started with a certain theme or event in mind and were not finished in time, so now my motivation for these projects is gone. I can probably finish up my Star Trek-inspired JSK in a week or so but my comm's ST meet has come and gone, so when would I even wear it?
>>
>>9657513
Ah, sorry about that. I wasn't sure if this thread was just for lolita or general sewing discussion.

Thanks, and I'll delete that post when I get a chance.
>>
>>9657737
Don't worry about it, anon! The OP doesn't explicitly mention lolita so it's an easy mistake to make.
>>
>>9657671

I've done this too. Just shelf the project. I don't mean throw it out. Fold it up neatly and put it, and the other raw materials and trim you bought for it, into a box or bag, then label it clearly "Star Trek jsk 50% complete". Then find a space where you can put that, and other half-finished wips.

After a while, you'll either come up with more inspiration, or another use for it, like if your comm decides to have another ST meetup once ST4 comes out, or maybe figure a way to repurpose it into a Harry Potter jsk for a HP meetup. After a year or something, if you still haven't made anything from it, you'll feel much better about divvying up the scraps and trim to be reused into other projects.

So the project isn't actually wasted, it's just waiting for another occasion and more inspiration to shine, plus you already got in some sewing practice even if you end up scrapping the dress entirely. And now you're also free to go make another dress for the next meetup without feeling down about what you're currently sewing.
>>
Sewing block -anon here. Thanks for all the replies, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this. I decided to start with the oldest project and go through them till I get into the newest fabrics I have bought. Also decided that I won't buy anything new until I get these done, which will be hard.
>>
>>9658589
>>9657671

Don't start with the oldest projects. Start with the lowest effort that will give you the biggest payoff. The easiest dress/blouse that you can wear at once, not something that you planned months ago and now have nowhere to wear it to.

What you want is some easy effort and the dopamine hit when you finish the project, and then the positive feedback when you wear it out and you're happy that you finished it. So you need a project you can finish fast and easily, that you can wear at once.

The positive feelings will make you feel happy, and then you'll keep on sewing.

Keep the old outdated projects but don't work on them if you don't have a use for them, that will just make you sad and depressed and then you stop sewing. You can usually repurpose the materials for another dress or another occasion. But right now, focus on the quick and useful projects for the fast positive feelings.
>>
Hatmaking, cute boaters, berets, etc. Any good resources?
>>
>>9661586
Angela Clayton has some tutorials on her channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXRyq8f9z0o
>>
>>9661430
These are good tips, thank you!
(Just another sewing block anon passing by)
>>
File: 041.jpg (240 KB, 1275x1755)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
Has anyone tried using the stiff bonnet pattern (14) from vol 7? My sewing skills are nothing fancy but I really want to make a bonnet for once, but I think I will have to add a bit of height to the brim(?) and attach it to a hairband so that I don't have to rely on the ribbons or the comb alone.
All the tutorials I have looked at are either floppy + have a full cap or are made using a straw hat, which looks a bit too bulky for my tastes
>>
>>9662123
I haven't made this one in particular, but I will say, pick your interfacing wisely. The stiff bonnet in 8 recommended what I interpreted as fusible fleece interfacing and it wasn't nearly stiff enough. Look for something intended for... stiff purses or the like.
>>
Any requests for embroidery files? I need practice making them so i might as well share with embroidery machine owning anon.
>>
>>9653771
Plugging my sale from the BST thread, figure some of y'all might be interested. Feel free to make me an offer.
>>
I recently bought this Innocent World Flocked Dot jsk, but it didn't come with the belt, so I was thinking of buying some fabric and trying to make a replacement myself. Would velveteen be alright? I've been looking around on taobao and I've found some that seems to be for upholstery and pillows and such. Would that be good to use since it's stiffer (I think), or would I want to use a different fabric and stabilizer? Any tips would be lovely!
>>
>>9663299
Or medium to heavy buckram. Which is like stiff interfacing made specifically for hats.
>>
>>9650866
>>9651323
>>9651729

The simplicity pattern might be the answer we've been looking for:

https://gotadebaunilha.blogspot.com.br/2017/10/costura-review-simplicity-8127-vestido.html
>>
>>9665855

My machine's a featherweight that doesn't handle thick fabric well, so I'm somewhat biased against using any kind of heavy upholstery fabric.

I do want to mention that a very thick fabric being used both front and back for the bow belt is going to result in a bulky belt, it might be difficult to gather the fabric to make the bow, and the belt would add bulk to your waist. I'd personally go for dressmaking fabric instead of upholstery fabric for that reason, maybe even make the back side of the belt (the side that's facing your waist when worn) out of solid plain fabric instead of velvet(een).
>>
>>9666073
If you actually read her post, she says that this pattern required
>a ton of alterations in the dress, sizing, measurements, finishings etc.
to get to the finished dress she posted on CoF. Just looking at the pictures it's obvious that the top of the bust sits too low, the sleeves are set too far apart, and the back is too low for it to be a good lolita pattern.

If I see it for cheap I might pick it up somewhere and try my hand at altering it, but at this point it's really no better than frankensteining several OnS patterns together. At least with OnS patterns you don't have to extend multiple pieces for modesty.
>>
>>9666098
Honestly, I don't see the alterations for the simplicity pattern being any more difficult than frankenpatterning the OnS patterns with the exceptions that it's one single pattern and more easily accessible than OnS back issues or even OnS to people who don't have access to Japanese bookstores but do have access to things like Jo Anns.

Maybe it's because I'm a bit smaller but honestly I don't see needing to make particularly drastic modifications to the pattern for modesty. On a 32b bust it seems to sit about the same as a MM dress I have with a gathered bust and the skirt seems like it would hit my knees as is, so I just need to adjust for a petticoat. This is some pretty basic stuff.
>>
>>9666098
Honestly, if you're about 5'5 and under, about regular weight and about a b cup you should be fine.

Taller girls might need to adjust the skirt to be lower, bustier girls bring the bust higher, and fat chicks... Well I'm sure they're used to butchering the OnS patterns to hell and back as is so.

We were all thirsty as hell for an empire cut dress with princess seams, a gathered bust, and a full skirt. Sucks the model dress simplicity made sucks, but making a bust higher is really not that difficult. As for the sleeves being too far apart, idk, I don't have autism so I can't imagine sleeves being too far apart is that big of a problem.
>>
I have a question for peoples in this thread : If someone make some dress with really pretty handmade print, would you prefer to buy the dress or buy the fabric and do the dress yourself ? And do people already sell fabric specifically for lolita ?
>>
>>9666116
It depends the dress quality. If it's top notch, I'd rather buy than make my own. If the dressmaker is known for poor guality I would make it myself.
>>
>>9666110
I don't have access to either Japanese bookstores or Jo Anns. So speaking for myself, OnS get me more usable patterns for my money and it's what I would recommend for people local to me.

>>9666112
Chill, anon. I was just repeating what the girl who actually used the pattern said about it, unless you want call her an autist too? Sleeves being set far apart is one of those thing that often distinguish sexy rockabilly dresses from lolita dresses and can be annoying to have to alter, so I thought I'd mention it.
>>
>>9666090
Oh, good point! I've got an ancient metal singer sewing machine that should in theory be able to handle heavy fabrics, but bulk around the waist is definitely not a look I want to go for!
>>
>>9666073
that's awesome! Thanks for sharing, anon. I've been eager to see the result of this pattern and this will surely help me.
>>
>>9666116

I'd always buy a ready-made dress instead of fabric if I can, but the cut and sizing sometimes means it doesn't fit, doesn't look good for my body type, or I still want to buy an extra yard to make accessories or something to go with the dress.

Unlike the other anon though, if the person selling it was known for bad workmanship I'd be iffy about buying fabric unless there's some pretty extensive reviews (like posting closeups of the print and weave and washing it a few times, maybe remarking on any crocking) -- someone who is willing to sell bad workmanships sounds like they'd be bad at choosing quality fabric to sell.

So far as lolita-specific fabric goes, the market isn't big enough to sustain lolita-only fabric. The best I've seen is Japanese quilting fabric, which you see a lot of in OnS. There's some companies like Harajuku Dolls that makes me think they're targeting lolitas because they make a lot of border prints, but also marketing it to other crafters to make lunchbags and kid's clothes from.
>>
Don't know if this has been asked before but where do you gulls get your lace trims from? I can't ever find anything besides crochet lace or lace monster level cheap stuff. I would really like soft mesh lace like what is on most AP dresses
>>
Which Otome no Sewing is the best for a beginner? As in, which would have the most variety of items to start with?
>>
>>9666665
This TaoBao shop gets linked a lot:
https://laces.world.taobao.com/

And I really love this Etsy shop, personally.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/lacetrimwholesalers

Both have the type of tulle lace you're describing. The taobao shop has shapes like cupcakes too, if you're into sweet.
>>
i have about 3 yards of forest green velvet

what do i do with it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.